Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 85 guests

Post #479881  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:01 pm 

This is what a FA cup tie is all about ... little team get stuck in and winning [ at the moment ]
What sh*ts me from the Arsenal point of view ; is our lack of adventure
F*** ng around with the ball ....cross field , back passes all accurate as soon as we pass forward they are misplaced , overhit ....... plus lack of movement from the front runners

it's in our DNA we can't change .

Forest are moving the ball accurately creating chances .

Could be further ahead .... Arsene's message at half time ..remember Reading

Post #479882  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:02 pm 

Per needs to get in to his coaching role asap. Any average striker with an ounce of pace takes him to pieces partly because he is given zero protection. Defence is so disorganised.
I get that wenger hasn’t, doesn’t and won’t ever organise a defence, he doesn’t know how. But I still would have thought a group of professional footballers could work something out for themselves that resembled a plan.

This is why I cannot wait for a new manager because there are so many easy wins with this squad.

Post #479883  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:02 pm 

Even by our standards that defending has been hilarious ... we're gonna lose this 4-1.

Post #479884  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:04 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Of the current 18 Premiership referees seven came up through Lancashire, Cheshire and Manchester football, and four through Yorkshire. The remaining seven come from Birmingham (2), Wiltshire (2), and one each from Northumberland, Leicestershire and Berkshire/Bucks. So, not one of them came up through the London FA or the adjoining county FAs, and not one was born in or very near to London - Graham Scott of Oxford being the closest. A remarkably unbalanced state of affairs in the running of the game.

Even assuming they do their best to exercise professional judgement in as honest a way as possible, refs are only too human, and will surely have from their backgrounds personal likes and dislikes of certain football clubs, probably developed in childhood? We all know how London is not beloved by people from the midlands and north, so it is quite possible there is some institutional bias against the capital's teams. When you consider the age of most of the Premiership men in black, Arsenal was the predominant London team in their formative years, so it is feasible our club attracts a disproportionate level of wrong decisions, even compared to other London sides. In years to come Chelsea may have that honour!

More eloquently the same point I've made on here for year - I remember having discussions with Harlow about it. The PGMOL has been run out of Manchester and disproportionally full of refs from Lancs, Cheshire & Manc for a couple of decades now, with a likewise high % from Yorkshire. Is it really likely that those three counties are really twice as good at producing referees than the rest of England and Wales combined? I've read before that there is a significant regional divide withing the PGMOL, and refs often feel pressured to relocate to one of the above areas in order to get to ref in the top flight.

Quite apart from any accusations of bias, that regional distrubution can't be right. The last ref based in the south East in the top flight bar the aforementioned Graham Scott was Steve Bennett who retired 8 years ago.

Post #479885  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:04 pm 

Watched their first goal again. Why oh why is noboby picking up Lichaj?

Post #479886  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:04 pm 

Who remembers that 5th round tie away at Forest in 79 the comms mentioned. I think the most nerve wracking 20 minutes of Sportsnight I ever saw.

Post #479887  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Papers say we are close to signing Jonny Evans for 25 million. I know we are desperate for defensive reinforcements but that doesn't seem very forward thinking signing given he's 30 and hasn't set the world alight. It's probably arsene trying to wind up that new scout.

Oh did you see the comments Arsene made about that new Sven bloke By the way? He didn't come across as bitter at all did he. Pretty much said the appointment was needless as we know all the players in Europe anyway.

Caesar can feel the knives being sharpened...

Post #479888  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Hope he signs a new contract with us soon. Think he can do the Cazorla role well but won't be too bad at the Özil role either.

I think it is a no brainer. I understand the risk of his injury record but we can't lose Jack for free. This isn't like Özil or Sanchez. Jack wants to play for us. With Jack playing as he is and with the protection of a 3/4 year deal then he is a £30m+ player.

Also, funny how Wenger has been moaning for years about better protection for players, but I saw as soon as Pep started asking for protection for players like De Bruyn the press were all over it agreeing with him. The only response Wenger ever got was to toughen our players up and deal with these sorts of tactics. I think we all knew at the time that it would need a serious injury to an england/media favourite for anyone to start noticing.

Agree on both counts

Post #479889  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:11 pm 

lomekian wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Of the current 18 Premiership referees seven came up through Lancashire, Cheshire and Manchester football, and four through Yorkshire. The remaining seven come from Birmingham (2), Wiltshire (2), and one each from Northumberland, Leicestershire and Berkshire/Bucks. So, not one of them came up through the London FA or the adjoining county FAs, and not one was born in or very near to London - Graham Scott of Oxford being the closest. A remarkably unbalanced state of affairs in the running of the game.

Even assuming they do their best to exercise professional judgement in as honest a way as possible, refs are only too human, and will surely have from their backgrounds personal likes and dislikes of certain football clubs, probably developed in childhood? We all know how London is not beloved by people from the midlands and north, so it is quite possible there is some institutional bias against the capital's teams. When you consider the age of most of the Premiership men in black, Arsenal was the predominant London team in their formative years, so it is feasible our club attracts a disproportionate level of wrong decisions, even compared to other London sides. In years to come Chelsea may have that honour!

More eloquently the same point I've made on here for year - I remember having discussions with Harlow about it. The PGMOL has been run out of Manchester and disproportionally full of refs from Lancs, Cheshire & Manc for a couple of decades now, with a likewise high % from Yorkshire. Is it really likely that those three counties are really twice as good at producing referees than the rest of England and Wales combined? I've read before that there is a significant regional divide withing the PGMOL, and refs often feel pressured to relocate to one of the above areas in order to get to ref in the top flight.

Quite apart from any accusations of bias, that regional distrubution can't be right. The last ref based in the south East in the top flight bar the aforementioned Graham Scott was Steve Bennett who retired 8 years ago.

All very well but what it does not show in any shape or form is that this disparity produces refs who are biased against London clubs and Arsenal in particular.

By the way, percentages are extremely misleading in reporting disparities as opposed to natural frequencies. Why not just give the numbers? The media often report some startling percentage risk increase of heart attacks or stroke in, say, taking painkillers when the difference in actual numbers is not really alarming. A 20% increase or decrease may be not very much at all - the percentage just makes it sound scarily significant.

Post #479890  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:20 pm 

What has Welbeck done so far in this game?

Post #479891  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:22 pm 

15 mins of total domination from arsenal, not a single shot to show for it. Forest make the first foray in to our half and very nearly score.
Arsenal in a nutshell

Post #479892  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:24 pm 

Um...

Post #479893  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:24 pm 

Holding is stupid. Sometimes you can’t win the ball from a striker if he’s held it up well.

Now he gives away a penalty.

Seriously half this squad needs to be shipped out

Post #479894  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:24 pm 

Ah well. We can concentrate on the League now.

Post #479895  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
15 mins of total domination from arsenal, not a single shot to show for it. Forest make the first foray in to our half and very nearly score.
Arsenal in a nutshell

Second foray and they get a penalty, and a goal

Post #479896  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:27 pm 

Does Wenger get to do a post-match interview if he's on a touchline ban?

I sure hope so.

Post #479897  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:29 pm 

John wrote:
Who remembers that 5th round tie away at Forest in 79 the comms mentioned. I think the most nerve wracking 20 minutes of Sportsnight I ever saw.

Didn't hear the commentators but was that the 0-1 win with a header by Stapleton? If so I went.

Post #479898  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:29 pm 

Daz wrote:

I sure hope so.

He'd probably tell us he's 'a very stable genius'.

Post #479899  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:29 pm 

Pool has Mohd Salah, and we have ... Mohd Elneny. Day and night. So much for Wenger's value buys.

Post #479900  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:30 pm 

Their GK seems quite decent ...

Post #479901  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:30 pm 

Daz wrote:

I sure hope so.

He did last time.

Post #479902  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:30 pm 

We must be the only club in any sport in the world where the majority of fans have wanted the manager gone for at least 4 years and he still stays and still has the full backing of the owner and is rewarded with a new contract.
Please please someone, anyone, make him stand down.

3 penalties in 3 games. Every year we give away double the penalties of any big club and more than any club in the league. What are we doing to learn? Reprucussions? Wouldn’t want to hurt their feelings and make them lose confidence

Post #479903  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:30 pm 

Holding has gone to pieces.

Post #479904  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:31 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
lomekian wrote:
So you don't believe Mike Dean to be biased against us, despite a massive statistical disparity over an 18 years sample size (the largest in several decades) that suggest we not only get less preferential decisions from us on average than every other top flight team, but that also we are proportionally over a 3rd less likely with him in charge?

There's statistical evidence that we get worse results with Dean reffing, not that we get worse results because of poor decisions from Dean. Enormous difference if you want to venture into the realm of statistics.

That's my biggest problem with fans making these sort of arguments (and fans from ALL clubs make them); it's too much conspiracy theory rhetoric and too many bold claims being made without proper support. It reminds me of how truthers look for anything that's even remotely peculiar and then try to cram a completely developed (and made up) theory into that tiny hole.

Basically, if you want to claim that it's strange how we get noticably worse results with Dean that's fair enough. If you then want to claim this is evidence of bias you're making a huge leap from the factual to the made-up. That claim needs further and much more specific evidence.

I've already quoted the % differences with regards to penalties, yellow cards etc when reffing Arsenal,which are far greater statistical disparities. If it isn't bias, it is a statistical disparity across every category I can find record of (bookings, bookings to fouls, red cards, penalites, results) which is an extraordinary level of coincidence all in the same direction

Post #479905  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:31 pm 

Holding is having a very poor game

Post #479906  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:32 pm 

Even our support singing “we’re flipping shite”

Post #479907  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:33 pm 

Jesus this is pathetic. One attempt on target.

Post #479908  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:33 pm 

Welbeck picking up the ball to hasten the game is his most useful contribution so far in the game

Post #479909  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:34 pm 

Daz wrote:
lomekian wrote:

All very well but what it does not show in any shape or form is that this disparity produces refs who are biased against London clubs and Arsenal in particular.

By the way, percentages are extremely misleading in reporting disparities as opposed to natural frequencies. Why not just give the numbers? The media often report some startling percentage risk increase of heart attacks or stroke in, say, taking painkillers when the difference in actual numbers is not really alarming. A 20% increase or decrease may be not very much at all - the percentage just makes it sound scarily significant.

Re %'s, I've already said that Mike Dean's sample size is the greatest possible, and in previous posts I already mentioned the figues. RE the above, Hoy's already given the exact figures.

Post #479910  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:34 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

At least one of our defence does every game.
Totally dominated by an 18 year old from the championship - who isn’t even first choice.

Post #479911  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:35 pm 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

At least one of our defence does every game.
Totally dominated by an 18 year old from the championship - who isn’t even first choice.

Mertesacker has been rubbish as well.

Post #479912  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:35 pm 

We have a slow and useless defence. That combined with a complete lack of attacking threat. Can’t think why we are losing.

Post #479913  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:36 pm 

Awful performance so far, particularly as AMN and Nelson have been our best players (shout to Debuchy to, and Iwobi hasn't been too bad). All other outfield players poor

Post #479914  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:36 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Daz wrote:

I sure hope so.

He'd probably tell us he's 'a very stable genius'.

Post #479915  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:37 pm 

Oh well. Another nail in Wenger's coffin...

Post #479916  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:37 pm 

Can see why wenger hasn’t been rotating the team. The second 11 are absolute cr@p. The squad has gone to pieces and wenger has overseen every part of its destruction.
I don’t want him anywhere near our club for another day

Post #479917  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:38 pm 

And Walcott? Should he get a new contract he has been useless.

Post #479918  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:38 pm 

Well that was lucky. Can we take advantage?

Post #479919  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:39 pm 

3-2. Howler from their gk

Welbeck

Post #479920  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:39 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Welbeck picking up the ball to hasten the game is his most useful contribution so far in the game

And that goal ! :angel9:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11995, 11996, 11997, 11998, 11999, 12000, 12001 ... 14269  Next