Fixtures Tuesday April 23rd - Chelsea - Emirates Stadium - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, Googlebot, Rich and 171 guests

Post #478721  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:19 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
The comms were worshipping Wilshire with 34 accurate passes. All 3 yards sideways or back. Penetration absolutely zero. .

Were you watching? That is simply not true. Wilshere was very good and did make many forward passes. Thing is Giroud is not mobile enough to play in a tightly packed defence.

Watched the whole game. Has a lot of possession. Runs at defence & then passes sideways. Does he try to split the defence, the killer pass. No look at the game.

As forGiroud needs crosses & this team fail to provide them . The few times they did Giroud tried. What about when wellbeck was on what did Wilshire & wellbeck create. Mobile forward? What about Lacazette did Wilshire create with him. And all this against west ham - god help us against a good team.

Post #478722  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:37 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Were you watching? That is simply not true. Wilshere was very good and did make many forward passes. Thing is Giroud is not mobile enough to play in a tightly packed defence.

Watched the whole game. Has a lot of possession. Runs at defence & then passes sideways. Does he try to split the defence, the killer pass. No look at the game.

As forGiroud needs crosses & this team fail to provide them . The few times they did Giroud tried. What about when wellbeck was on what did Wilshire & wellbeck create. Mobile forward? What about Lacazette did Wilshire create with him. And all this against west ham - god help us against a good team.

God help us against any team at the moment

Post #478723  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:04 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

In his press conference he said if we had played last Saturday instead of Sunday & they had done the opposite the result last night would have been different. If we had played last Saturday he would have been complaining about fatigue after the Bate game. He starting to sound like Trump as he just states things without actually thinking about what he is saying.

Just one for Hoy to complain about. 19 points behind the leader and 18 points in front of the bottom team. We are a mid table team.

Wenger will be sacrificing chickens and waving crystals around if the moon keeps interfering with the team's performance.

Post #478724  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:40 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I tend to agree with Gunny. For me, Wilshere had a good game and was our stand out player. Admittedly, this wasn't too difficult. He tried to make things happen and won a couple of crunching challenges which you don't see too often from our lot. That may be all I have but ...well he was good enough.

All very stale, stale bread though again. Totally boring, frustrating football. Opportunities spurned by wide men (have we actually got a decent wide man anymore?) to put in early, low, dangerous crosses in favour of the cut back and chip to the back post for the heavily marked 5'7 inch Sanchez. I do have some sympathy for the massed defences we constantly face home and away (I bet Southampton were a tad more open against Leicester last night than they were against us) but we don't have the players to play the Wengerball anymore.

Post #478725  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:01 pm 

"Now, it feels like we’ve come full circle. The players can change, the formation can change, the system can change, the fitness coach and the tea-lady can change but the football doesn’t. That’s where we are and where we will be as long as Arsene Wenger is in charge."

Brilliant from arseblog again.

He probably wouldn't agree with my sentiment though that this is exactly why I mostly welcome defeats now. I want Wenger to go at the end of the season and a bad season is the ONLY (although not guaranteed) way of achieving this.

I do think it will get worse when the delayed reckoning over Özil and Sanchez takes place. At least it will be more interesting when they're gone.

Post #478726  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:05 pm 

"If only we had a record signing striker who is our top scorer on the bench to help us get a goal. Oh, we do. Let’s bring him on with less than eight minutes to go and play him out wide too, because that’s the obvious way to grab a winner. It won’t be any surprise to discover that piece of tactical genius didn’t work out."

Also good.

My biggest gripe last night though was playing in that stupid Man United style away kit.

We play in *%^@*** yellow away. Why mess with that? I mean why?

She wore a black and red piped ribbon? I don't *%^@*** think so, you *%^@.

Post #478727  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:00 pm 

Didn't realised we played last night. Blimey

I used to hang on for every second

Wenger has done a proper job on us.

Post #478728  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:03 pm 

Arsene Wenger is the worst thing that's ever happened to Arsenal. He won 3 titles granted over 20 years but destroyed our fanbase.

Post #478729  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:12 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
Wenger exacerbates this by talking about it. For a man who is meant to be a deep thinker wenger is doing more harm than good with his psychological assessments.
We are a team that relies so much on being confident but any dent to our confidence seems to take us back to zero and we need a number of games to build any kind of confidence back.

The problem I have with this type of tripe is that it exposes his inconsistencies. If we did play well against Utd ( I think we did) then there would be no hangover.

But in reality what this shows is that having lost a game we should not have lost, the the following results show our mental vulnerabilities.

The last time I saw a team play long square passes across the defence was Brazil 1982 against Italy. We are now f.... doing it regularly.

In his press conference he said if we had played last Saturday instead of Sunday & they had done the opposite the result last night would have been different. If we had played last Saturday he would have been complaining about fatigue after the Bate game. He starting to sound like Trump as he just states things without actually thinking about what he is saying.

Just one for Hoy to complain about. 19 points behind the leader and 18 points in front of the bottom team. We are a mid table team.

How much more of this garbage before he finally does the decent thing. Just go.

Post #478730  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Didn't realised we played last night.

If only we had. Sigh.

Post #478731  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:07 pm 

Just watched MOTD

The Wenger interview after the game, I mean he doesn't even look like he's enjoying it anymore. Zero passion or anger just nothing, moaned about West Ham defending.

There is just a whole air of nothingness around Arsenal. We are going nowhere, clearly arsene knows he can't change it.

Like I said previously Arsenal football club is now only Arsene Wengers contract and nothing else. It exists to fulfil that contract. How sad is that

Post #478732  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:12 pm 

Our problems stem from the fact Wenger doesn't think we have problems .

Herein lies the key ....instead of wittering on about Man United hangover ...... "lacking a leeetle bit sharpness upfront "....... ten man defences ...
if he grasped the nettle and said we have problems , how do we fix them .....? We'd be well on the road to redemption .

I wouldn't go as far as saying I wish we'd lost but I would have liked the early header to have counted because it would have made for a better game .
For starters I'd have "Do not pass back to Čech" tatooed across their foreheads .......would mean distribution would improve .

Nice sunny day in NZ but a huge thunderstorm of apathy is overhead ...and I think " Oh what the f**&&^^ " .

A post on the Gleiber these days is an exercise in futility .

I get more excited watching "The Great British Bake Off " than Arsenal .

Post #478733  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 pm 

Stuff the football talk then.

Led Zeppelin ?

Yay or nay forum ? They weren't my era

Post #478734  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Led Zeppelin ?

Hell yes. First four albums are all masterpieces. Black Dog is possibly the best opening song on any album.

When Pitchfork listed the greatest albums of the 70s they commented that listening to Led Zeppelin IV is like *%^@*** the Grand Canyon. Not sure I've ever heard a better description of an album.

Post #478735  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:47 pm 

:icon_mrgreen:

Attachments:

Post #478736  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:08 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Led Zeppelin ?

Hell yes. First four albums are all masterpieces. Black Dog is possibly the best opening song on any album.

When Pitchfork listed the greatest albums of the 70s they commented that listening to Led Zeppelin IV is like *%^@*** the Grand Canyon. Not sure I've ever heard a better description of an album.

Just downloaded black dog off iTunes. Never heard it before, cracking song. A real belter, brilliant. Great recommendation

I'm not from that era of music but catching up with more of the progressive bands before my time. Love going to California and play that for my daughter when she's struggling to get to sleep. Works everytime.

Post #478737  Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:47 pm 

Quoted from an interview with Lacazette. Don't think there is any misquote there.

"But the goal in coming here was always to qualify for the Champions League and if we could get the title, fantastic."

Post #478738  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:40 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Led Zeppelin ?

Whilst very young I loved them at the time and had their albums. I haven't listened to them for years, well decades. So whether I still would I can't say although Stairway to Heaven still sticks in my mind and was brilliant.

From memory the fifth album was seen as representing a change in style and I got the impression it was less popular with many of Led Zeppelin's long-term fans. Was it called Houses of the Holy or something like that?

Post #478739  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:51 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gidday Hoxton ... while I'd say it's not quite "Abandon all hope , ye who enter the Emirates " it isn't too far off ; because it just isn't in our playbook to attack at pace .

Definetly time to modernise the en suite , build the new birchbark kayak , carve a totem pole or whatever the hell else you boys do to pass the time in the frozen tundra .

One day we may start playing like a serious team again but when? We have those tough northern bully boys up next, what chance do we have against those geordie giants? I hope we can scrape a draw!
Meanwhile I've retired and don't plan any modernizing or totem pole carving to pass the time! I was reading about your adventures at the Op Shop the other day, never a dull moment eh?
I did get a chance to see some of the sights out west this year!

Attachments:

Post #478740  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:30 am 

john1 wrote:
Hey Warrior - how you doing?

I seem to be double posting, even though I'm sure I'm not pressing submit twice. Any idea why?

Hey mate.

I'm not seeing any double postings - are you deleting the second one ?

*I am seeing a lot of similar posts from everyone regarding our manager however.

Post #478741  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:39 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Led Zeppelin ?

Absolute classic albums. The Battle of Evermore, Rock and Roll, Stairway to Heaven & Black Dog are all great .

Post #478742  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:00 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Quoted from an interview with Lacazette. Don't think there is any misquote there.

"But the goal in coming here was always to qualify for the Champions League and if we could get the title, fantastic."

Seems a reasonable expectation. One could argue that its a lack of ambition but the fact is the Manchester and Chelsea have bottomless pocket when it comes to money.

I also don't think any club who finds itself within target range of the title is just going to settle for CL football. if we are out of the running for the title and it appears so, then CL football is the only logical goal and within that if you have a chance to be 2nd instead of 4th. Finishing ahead of certain squads, that'll show how much pride the squad has.

Winning cups (domestic or foreign) gets thrown in there as well.

Post #478743  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:01 am 

Back to Hoys book.

Prologue
Arsene walked towards the press conference, head held high and with a feeling of total relief pulsing through his veins. In his right hand he held a brown A4 paper envelope. He reflected on his decision and knew that the time was right.

He had spent years laying awake at night worrying about the future. Retirement was death, retirement was death was his mantra. But then yesterday, in the post, a brown plain papered envelope arrived. Unsolicited, his pulse quickened as he wondered about its contents and origins. Looking at the post mark he decided to take a risk and open the package.

Nirvana. He was no longer concerned about leaving football management. He could see clearly years of an exciting lifestyle. The book was self published and the contents were astonishing.

Arsene sat down at the table and the room was hushed. 'I have to announce that moments ago I tendered my resignation to Kroenke. I have found life after football' he said as he extracted the volume and held it up to the gabbling press corps. The title of the book clearly visible to all 'Ten Exciting Modifications to Brushcutters'. Wenger smiled and placed the envelope with the New Zealand postmark on the table.

Post #478744  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:09 am 

warrior wrote:
john1 wrote:
Hey Warrior - how you doing?

I seem to be double posting, even though I'm sure I'm not pressing submit twice. Any idea why?

Hey mate.

I'm not seeing any double postings - are you deleting the second one ?

*I am seeing a lot of similar posts from everyone regarding our manager however.

Must be me and a quick trigger finger (steady AG) then. Yes I delete them as I find them.

Well our manager is a bit repetitive now isn't he tbf, so it's no surprise people are repeating the same fact ad infinitum.
Well our manager is a bit repetitive now isn't he tbf, so it's no surprise people are repeating the same fact ad infinitum.

Post #478745  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:10 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Back to Hoys book.

Prologue
Arsene walked towards the press conference, head held high and with a feeling of total relief pulsing through his veins. In his right hand he held a brown A4 paper envelope. He reflected on his decision and knew that the time was right.

He had spent years laying awake at night worrying about the future. Retirement was death, retirement was death was his mantra. But then yesterday, in the post, a brown plain papered envelope arrived. Unsolicited, his pulse quickened as he wondered about its contents and origins. Looking at the post mark he decided to take a risk and open the package.

Nirvana. He was no longer concerned about leaving football management. He could see clearly years of an exciting lifestyle. The book was self published and the contents were astonishing.

Arsene sat down at the table and the room was hushed. 'I have to announce that moments ago I tendered my resignation to Kroenke. I have found life after football' he said as he extracted the volume and held it up to the gabbling press corps. The title of the book clearly visible to all 'Ten Exciting Modifications to Brushcutters'. Wenger smiled and placed the envelope with the New Zealand postmark on the table.

:53big-emoticons:

Post #478746  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:22 am 

Daz wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Watched some of the test match today. England well in control & Malan just scored a 100. Only thing to ask from here is can Aust save the test.

Yes.

It's England.

Yep to just squeeze 400 from that position has opened the game up again. Aust will need to bat well but....

Post #478747  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Led Zeppelin ?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpdQmMixdTU[/youtube]

Post #478748  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:18 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Back to Hoys book.

Prologue

Reads like Day of the jackal but it's probably the only way Wenger will go. Also absent the hyper-vocabularied drivel that Daz likes to plop out.
Nice one.

Post #478749  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:34 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Back to Hoys book.

Prologue

Reads like Day of the jackal but it's probably the only way Wenger will go. Also absent the hyper-vocabularied drivel that Daz likes to plop out.
Nice one.

The infelicities of your penultimate sentence suggest a critic I can safely ignore when it comes to tips on the use of language.

Post #478750  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:04 pm 

Daz wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Nice one.

The infelicities of your penultimate sentence suggest a critic I can safely ignore when it comes to tips on the use of language.

Attempt to ignore failed

Post #478751  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:11 pm 

Check out the compilation album Mothership TG has all you need led zep wise.

Post #478752  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:17 pm 

Kim Källström has announced his retirement from football today, meaning we will probably not attempt to sign him in January.

Post #478753  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:23 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Daz wrote:

Attempt to ignore failed

Quiet day in your neck of the woods, grantyboy?

Never mind, I’m sure a bunch of city boys in canoes will come along soon.

Post #478754  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:26 pm 

Daz,

I watched the first episode of the new series of The Tunnel last night. Have you any involvement?

Post #478755  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:29 pm 

Not this series. It was time for something new.

Post #478756  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:30 pm 

That’s when my dearly departed mum used to say “yes I think this is the best series so far”.

Post #478757  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:34 pm 

warrior wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Led Zeppelin ?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpdQmMixdTU[/youtube]

The little guy in the blue shirt ... :laughing7:

Post #478758  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:37 pm 

Daz wrote:
john1 wrote:
I've a feeling it's all about to collapse

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVW9sOsXAjU[/youtube]

That mustache was something. After that you gotta have a bit of Neil young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMRqN0m5c-M

Post #478759  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 pm 

Or this one, more in keeping with the theme :)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vrDIFYuc4Q[/youtube]

Post #478760  Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:13 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Back to Hoys book.

Prologue

:icon_scratch: why would Hoy be writing about Brushcutters and posting it from NZ .

Son has just bought a Kon Tiki for long line ocean fishing , plus a motorised reel with enough line to reach Chile , faced with a problem of carrying it the hundred yards to the beach , we are thinking of buying this load of cr**

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorb ... 29d78ed415

to build some sort of miniaturised dune buggy , Arsene could help if he really wanted to push excitement levels off the scale .

[ 571795 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11966, 11967, 11968, 11969, 11970, 11971, 11972 ... 14295  Next