Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Lincoln gooner and 97 guests

Post #477481  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:38 am 

Rich wrote:
Mike Dean the spurs fan is the ref for the north London derby this weekend. Spurs win a lot of penalties against us and mike dean is notorious for being the ref who gives more pens than any other ref in recent history. It is like Dean is making a point of saying he’s brave enough to give pens, irrespective of whether he is making the right call. I hope we’re on our guard and making sure we throw ourselves at the slightest contact in their box

Wenger asked for him so he will have an excuse in case it goes pear shaped.

Here is part of Wengers after match interview that he has prepared which follows on from some of his recent interviews.

Journo :What could Arsenal have done better:

I am sick of all these pointless questions from someone who has never managed a team. So let me explain...but we got .375 of a portion to their .469 and with the easterly wind that is sufficient for me to make a decision to play Walcott in goal for the second half....Čech will not last forever...duckworth lewis....minus the square root of F A.

Journo : So were you happy with the referee.

Post #477482  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:18 am 

Bernard wrote:
I get the impression he dislikes Sanchez, but I think loads of genuine Arsenal fans do. I don't dislike him, but accept he isn't really a likeable character (in my view anyway). He's a very good player for the club (I'd count him as no more than that compared to the true greatness of the likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Brady, Vieira, Pires, Campbell, McLintock, and others). However, of the recent generation of Arsenal players, has there really been anyone better? I can't see anyone, and I've seen every single Arsenal game in the meantime. So I rate Sanchez highly, very highly. But he isn't a footballing genius, let's be realistic.

I hope Gael doesn't read this. He'll be devastated......

Seriously though, I would rate RVP above Sanchez. Obviously, the way he left the club tarnishes his standing as an Arsenal player, but he was absolutely phenomenal in his final two seasons with us. He was undoubtedly one of the best strikers in the world at that time. As good as Sanchez is, I don't think he is one of the top 3 or 4 in the world in his position, which is what RVP was.

Post #477483  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 am 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I get the impression he dislikes Sanchez, but I think loads of genuine Arsenal fans do. I don't dislike him, but accept he isn't really a likeable character (in my view anyway). He's a very good player for the club (I'd count him as no more than that compared to the true greatness of the likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Brady, Vieira, Pires, Campbell, McLintock, and others). However, of the recent generation of Arsenal players, has there really been anyone better? I can't see anyone, and I've seen every single Arsenal game in the meantime. So I rate Sanchez highly, very highly. But he isn't a footballing genius, let's be realistic.

I hope Gael doesn't read this. He'll be devastated......

Seriously though, I would rate RVP above Sanchez. Obviously, the way he left the club tarnishes his standing as an Arsenal player, but he was absolutely phenomenal in his final two seasons with us. He was undoubtedly one of the best strikers in the world at that time. As good as Sanchez is, I don't think he is one of the top 3 or 4 in the world in his position, which is what RVP was.

I wouldn't argue with that dec. Sorry, by 'recent generation of Arsenal players' I was talking more about current players.

Post #477484  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:43 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Evening chaps. Look, I suspect bubblechris is an Arsenal fan. I wouldn't have thought he might not be were it for Top Gun's post. I really don't get Top Gun's comment about a clue being in the name. Does 'bubblechris' imply support for another club? I've been simple and presumed he's of Greek heritage (the 'bubble' bit) and his name is Christopher (the chris bit).

Goodness mate

https://youtu.be/yvuOtlpSAeY

Fair point as I'd never thought of that. I suspect both your and my ideas are feasible though.

Post #477485  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:15 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
The clue is in the name, quite literally if you know what I mean

Evening chaps. Look, I suspect bubblechris is an Arsenal fan. I wouldn't have thought he might not be were it for Top Gun's post. I really don't get Top Gun's comment about a clue being in the name. Does 'bubblechris' imply support for another club? I've been simple and presumed he's of Greek heritage (the 'bubble' bit) and his name is Christopher (the chris bit).

Having said that, I think he has some barmy ideas. But that alone doesn't mean he isn't an Arsenal fan. Countless Arsenal fans do.

These days, its almost a requirement. So I can't see how that would single him out.
But I agree with your post. Not sure what Top Gun is on about.

Post #477486  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:32 pm 

Not being racist but I assumed bubblechris was of Greek descent....the old rhyming slang...bubble and squeak etc...didn't connect it to the Hammers at all

Post #477487  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:22 pm 

You're right chaps I am not a Hammers fan. I did go to West Ham once. Vieira was sent off for spitting i think. He was getting the shite kicked out of him and reacted. Swore I'd never go again it took ages to drive away from the ground.

What's daft about realising before everybody else that Sanchez was not good for the team and for calling Ox a loss before others started? Was it saying that a goal shy Welbeck was no use to us or that I thought Zaha Walcott were as bad as each other?

Can't think of anything else you might consider daft and wonder if it's not me that's the daft one.

TG has just proved what a child he is by making such a pathetic assumption or was it just to get back at me for saying he wasn't a gooner some time back?

Post #477488  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:59 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Not being racist but I assumed bubblechris was of Greek descent....the old rhyming slang...bubble and squeak etc...didn't connect it to the Hammers at all

As explained earlier, exactly my thoughts too.

Post #477489  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

As explained earlier, exactly my thoughts too.

Would a Greek call themselves that? I'm not so sure.

Fan of other club trolling, sort yourselves out lads. Bromleys right, comes on here trolling which is more of a giveaway than the name if that's not enough alone

Post #477490  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:33 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
What's daft about realising before everybody else that Sanchez was not good for the team and for calling Ox a loss before others started? Was it saying that a goal shy Welbeck was no use to us or that I thought Zaha Walcott were as bad as each other?

Do you seriously not think we look a better team when Welbeck is in the lineup?

Post #477491  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Would a Greek call themselves that? I'm not so sure.

I think there are plenty that would. Heavy dose of irony, I accept. But I reckon so.

Post #477492  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 pm 

I'd take Zaha and so would Rich. Our West Ham supporting Greek colleague would take Theo. What does the rest of the forum think?

Post #477493  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:51 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Do you seriously not think we look a better team when Welbeck is in the lineup?

Yes I think he's a great player but not what we need in a front 2. He plays as a winger and that's not what we need, imo we need Welbeck to be a goalscorer.

Post #477494  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:53 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
I'd take Zaha and so would Rich. Our West Ham supporting Greek colleague would take Theo. What does the rest of the forum think?

I don't think I said I would keep Walcott I believe I said they were too similar but one had a better end product the the other.

When Sanchez goes we have only one out and out goalscorer. I believe we've all been saying for a long time that that was what we needed.

Post #477495  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:04 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
When Sanchez goes we have no out and out goalscorer. I believe we've all been saying that for years.

Isn't that what Lacazette is supposed to be?

Post #477496  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:17 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

If ever you needed to demonstrate somebody was on a wind up :laughing7:

Stevie Wonder just called by the way and he takes Zaha as well

Post #477497  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
When Sanchez goes we have no out and out goalscorer. I believe we've all been saying that for years.

I rephrased that quote but are you happy having just Lacazette, and or Giroud as our only back up?

Post #477498  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:29 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I rephrased that quote but are you happy having just Lacazette, and or Giroud as our only back up?

If you don't consider him worthy of a mention, I think you seriously underestimate Welbeck.

Post #477499  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:46 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

If you don't consider him worthy of a mention, I think you seriously underestimate Welbeck.

Well Iwobi just scored 2 goals to give Nigeria a win. Giroud scored for France, Eddie for the U19s. I can't recall Welbeck's last goal or when he last had a good run. Of course I hope he makes it but can the Arsenal wait for him to come good?

We need another goalscorer when Sanchez goes, maybe sooner as he's not exactly banging them in. Can we afford to wait?

Post #477500  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:47 pm 

The irony ..... most find international week a pain in the arse not having club football yet when that same club football is played...for us it's usually cue for gnashing of teeth and hair being torn out in clumps .

I think the FA should get some balls and play matches at this time it benefits the minnows ; who are at a disadvantage for the rest of the season against mega $$$$$$$$$$

On the Bubblechris affair .....[ of which I have little interest ] though it does spice things up

An argument between Bubblechris and Top Gun who obviously dont like each other ; with the latter busily trying to organise a tag team to gain the upperhand .

Greeks and West Ham are thrown in to adversely typecast the former .

Post #477501  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 pm 

bubblechris, being a striker isn't only about how many goals they score. Welbeck has a very strong all round game outside of his goal scoring and that's why we look a better team when he's playing, which I thought you accept yourself. He gives us physical presence, pace and power in attack, as well as a terrific work rate. In my view, considering our squad as it stands, he gets in Arsenal's strongest side.

Post #477502  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
You're right chaps I am not a Hammers fan. I did go to West Ham once. Vieira was sent off for spitting i think. He was getting the shite kicked out of him and reacted. Swore I'd never go again it took ages to drive away from the ground.

Can't think of anything else you might consider daft and wonder if it's not me that's the daft one.

TG has just proved what a child he is by making such a pathetic assumption or was it just to get back at me for saying he wasn't a gooner some time back?

Indeed. TG protesteth too much, you think? Top Gun is an anogram for got pun. I think that's may be significant although for the moment I can think of what it might imply ...

Nevertheless, we can't be too vigilant. The forum may be crawling with third columnists who make thousands of posts in order to get deep cover and so they can ... I'll get back to you on that one too.

Post #477503  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:47 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

If ever you needed to demonstrate somebody was on a wind up :laughing7:

Stevie Wonder just called by the way and he takes Zaha as well

Perhaps you missheard and he said "I just called ... to say .. I love you"?

Post #477504  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

He scored twice tonight against the Germans....

Post #477505  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Well he should be our goalscorer but Wenger has decided he is not good enough to have a starting place in big games. So we should be asking Wenger this question.

Post #477506  Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Iwobi scored two as well. Wonder if he can add scoring consistently to his game. We need our front four to be able to give us 50 league goals a season.

Post #477507  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:02 am 

bromley gooner wrote:

Zaha over Theo

Post #477508  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:06 am 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Iwobi scored two as well. Wonder if he can add scoring consistently to his game. We need our front four to be able to give us 50 league goals a season.

I think Iwobi will eventually come good. Perhaps in the latter half of this season. He needs more exposure to success and failure. The experience will build him.

Post #477509  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:33 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:

Well he should be our goalscorer but Wenger has decided he is not good enough to have a starting place in big games. So we should be asking Wenger this question.

I think in Arsene's arse backwards way of thinking he likes to keep a bit in reserve , hope to keep the scoreline blank and bring on his aces when the opposition are tiring .

If I was Lacazette I'd be saying to Wenger ....." I had better start v Spurs , Man U and Chelsea otherwise I'm heading back to Francais Land"

Post #477510  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:41 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I think in Arsene's arse backwards way of thinking he likes to keep a bit in reserve , hope to keep the scoreline blank and bring on his aces when the opposition are tiring .

If I was Lacazette I'd be saying to Wenger ....." I had better start v Spurs , Man U and Chelsea otherwise I'm heading back to Francais Land"

WC year so Lacazette needs to play.

On the WC - Aust game about 20 minutes away and your lot play in Peru tomorrow morning. Lets hope both of us are there.

Post #477511  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:46 am 

Bergkamp would never have played for us if he was an Aussie. The last mach about to start. If you looked at Sydney as our home then the team has travelled 212,000klms to get to this point.

Post #477512  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:20 am 

Andy Green wrote:

How is Philly these days? I will be visiting family in Willow Grove (Montgomery county) some point in 2018. Also have some business interests I am looking into.

I was shocked to hear the Brewertown/Fishtown area is like South Street these days. That area was a dump years ago.

PS: Thinking someone is Greek isn't racist.

Post #477513  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:48 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris, being a striker isn't only about how many goals they score. Welbeck has a very strong all round game outside of his goal scoring and that's why we look a better team when he's playing, which I thought you accept yourself. He gives us physical presence, pace and power in attack, as well as a terrific work rate. In my view, considering our squad as it stands, he gets in Arsenal's strongest side.

I hope I can have the last say and sincerely hope Welbz proves me wrong.

Last 10 games - 4 goals and 1 assist

I rest my case and hope he comes good........

Post #477514  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:53 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I hope I can have the last say and sincerely hope Welbz proves me wrong.

Last 10 games - 4 goals and 1 assist

I rest my case and hope he comes good........

Not sure what you mean by resting your case. What's so wrong with 4 goals and 1 assist in the last 10 games? Sounds pretty good to me.

Post #477515  Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:45 pm 

I just had a look at Arsenal.com at 22.15 (or 10.15 pm). The home game against Tottenham, less than three days away, is still on sale. Am I the only one who finds that frightening? It's the North London derby, one of England's biggest local derbies (along with the Manchester and Merseyside ones) and the club are clearly struggling to sell it out (I suggest it still being on sale within three days of the game shows that). I disagree with Top Gun about bubblechris being a West Ham fan. But I do think he could easily be right about Arsenal being in a weaker position on Wenger's departure (if it is 2019) than it was when he took over in 1996, so 23 years earlier.

Wenger's time at Arsenal has to be seen in two phases, if not more. The Highbury years were sensational, the Emirates years in my view anything but. Clough's time at Nottingham Forest surely has to be seen in the same way. European Cups followed eventually by relegation. The poles may not be as extremely apart for Arsenal under Wenger (I can't see us winning the Champions League or dropping into the Championship before he leaves). But the principle looks exactly the same to me. Like Clough, Wenger is a past it has-been who thinks staying in his job is more important than the future of the club he's previously claimed to love.

EDIT: It's still on sale at 11.38 pm, or 23.08 Wednesday evening, 15 November. Less than two and a half days before the game.

Post #477516  Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
I just had a look at Arsenal.com at 22.15 (or 10.15 pm). The home game against Tottenham, less than three days away, is still on sale. Am I the only one who finds that frightening? It's the North London derby, one of England's biggest local derbies (along with the Manchester and Merseyside ones) and the club are clearly struggling to sell it out (I suggest it still being on sale within three days of the game shows that). I disagree with Top Gun about bubblechris being a West Ham fan. But I do think he could easily be right about Arsenal being in a weaker position on Wenger's departure (if it is 2019) than it was when he took over in 1996, so 23 years earlier.

Wenger's time at Arsenal has to be seen in two phases, if not more. The Highbury years were sensational, the Emirates years in my view anything but. Clough's time at Nottingham Forest surely has to be seen in the same way. European Cups followed eventually by relegation. The poles may not be as extremely apart for Arsenal under Wenger (I can't see us winning the Champions League or dropping into the Championship before he leaves). But the principle looks exactly the same to me. Like Clough, Wenger is a past it has-been who thinks staying in his job is more important than the future of the club he's previously claimed to love.

EDIT: It's still on sale at 11.38 pm, or 23.08 Wednesday evening, 15 November. Less than two and a half days before the game.

Wenger ( :26encouragement: :53big-emoticons: ) first phase= revelation, admired, seeked out, masterclass
Wenger (:20hospitals: ) today = stale, predictable, boring, past-it, clueless

Post #477517  Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:24 am 

Bernard wrote:

Wenger ( :26encouragement: :53big-emoticons: ) first phase= revelation, admired, seeked out, masterclass
Wenger ( :20hospitals: ) today = stale, predictable, boring, past-it, clueless

Post #477518  Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:27 am 

Congratulations to Australia, onward to the WC Finals :53big-emoticons:

Post #477519  Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:28 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Congratulations to Australia, onward to the WC Finals :53big-emoticons:

Happy to have someone to watch for a while next year. But like arsenal they put you thru hell to make it happen

Post #477520  Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:43 am 

Isn't great getting old ... here I am f**ting around at the Op Shop ... this spunky old girl says "Man you've got a nice butt and gives me a grope "... then apologises "Oh my God what have I done "...well in these days of Maxi PC I could have her sacked / disbarred / dishonourebly discharged ....but being the Cool Hand Luke that I am .... I said Maria knock yourself out , feel free any time ....so gave her bum a little rub to balance the sheet .

To top it off I heard a tune on the radio I liked moved me fractionally forward from Buddy Holly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JiX71Qc_AQ ... only played about thirty times so far .
NZ lost to Peru ... I glory in the wins ...the losses who cares .

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11935, 11936, 11937, 11938, 11939, 11940, 11941 ... 14269  Next