Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 94 guests

Post #476521  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:48 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Given that before the transfer window closed our challenge for the EPL was almost over I would have sold. We had 2 defeats by 27/8 and had a number of days to sell it probably would have been good business. But having said all summer we would not sell, we had not properly arranged a replacement.

All in all yet another completely amateur and botched transfer window starting with the awful decision to retain the man who has overseen every step of our downfall.
The summer WAS the opportunity to change, even if wenger walks away in 2 years the job will be so much bigger than it would have been for a new guy on June 1st this year.
One look at the squad and who will leave for free soon and who isn't good enough leaves us in a shocking state......and yet wenger believed buying just 2 players and turning a profit in the window was the best course of action. Beggars belief

But when one person retains total control of the clubs business then you are looking for trouble.

I maintain my earlier view that 200mil is required to be spent next year just to maintain the same level at the club. We need defenders, a CM who is creative and to replace Sanchez and Özil. Can you see that happening.
If the last window was any indication you get very ordinary players for 50 mil.

Would love to be at the club for the weekend match when Ramsay and Alexis will be totally down about missing the WC. Getting them mentally back on track will be a project in itself. Neither need to shine to earn a WC starting spot and already the EPL looks like a dream rather than a possibility. Plus Ospina's errors probably cost Chile their place. Alexis may set the dogs on him.

Post #476522  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:08 am 

Just watched the Columbia game. Not sure I would call it an Ospina error like the press reported. Not sure Alexis could complain

Post #476523  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:17 am 

Rich wrote:
Torn ligament confirmedfor Mustafi. I'd be amazed if we see him before February. Kos is continually nursing an injury. Mert as very little game time in the last 18 months. Holding is still learning. Chambers is injured and Monreal should only really be used there in a back 3

Yet another poor management of the squad. We always suffer some shockingly long injuries during every season. These aren't 2-4 weeks, these are 4-6 months and hugely affect our results in a season

I think we'll see Elneny in defence at some point this season. I suspect Coquelin will also be groomed to be a cover for right wingback/rightback.

Post #476524  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:22 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
City rumoured to be back in for Sanchez for £20m in January. Would you sell him?

I'd have snapped their hand off for the £60m in the summer irrespective of whether we had time to get a replacement in, ridiculous decision to write off £60m

I would sell him, and I definitely would have done in the summer for £60m. As you say it was a ridiculous decision to write off that sum. Pure idiocy.

If PSG are still interested in Sanchez and he wants to go there, I wouldn't mind a swap deal for likes of Pastore, Moura and/or Draxler.

Post #476525  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:01 am 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I would sell him, and I definitely would have done in the summer for £60m. As you say it was a ridiculous decision to write off that sum. Pure idiocy.

If PSG are still interested in Sanchez and he wants to go there, I wouldn't mind a swap deal for likes of Pastore, Moura and/or Draxler.

Our problem maybe that players are not interested in coming the other way.

Post #476526  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:04 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
We are just becoming like all of Kroenke's other sports investments - rubbish, we will have to get used to it if we allow him to stick around.

We really don't have any say in Kroenke sticking around. We're at his behest until he decides to sell.

Post #476527  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:44 am 

Rich wrote:
Torn ligament confirmedfor Mustafi. I'd be amazed if we see him before February. Kos is continually nursing an injury. Mert as very little game time in the last 18 months. Holding is still learning. Chambers is injured and Monreal should only really be used there in a back 3

Yet another poor management of the squad. We always suffer some shockingly long injuries during every season. These aren't 2-4 weeks, these are 4-6 months and hugely affect our results in a season

We have 6 players in the squad to cover the centre back positions. There are limits on squad size so the choice was to sell one or more of Per, Holding and Chambers and replace with a better player or stick with what we have. Even if we did that we would still have the same number of players.

Post #476528  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:25 am 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

We have 6 players in the squad to cover the centre back positions. There are limits on squad size so the choice was to sell one or more of Per, Holding and Chambers and replace with a better player or stick with what we have. Even if we did that we would still have the same number of players.

Wouldn't mind Daley Blind joining us.

Post #476529  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:18 pm 

Darren wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:
We are just becoming like all of Kroenke's other sports investments - rubbish, we will have to get used to it if we allow him to stick around.

We really don't have any say in Kroenke sticking around. We're at his behest until he decides to sell.

Don't buy tickets/merchandise, that is about the only thing one can do to try and put him off, sadly there will probably be enough people who continue to finance "his investment" and the ludcrious TV money as well, I don't get how anyone can get interested or excited about a team he owns though, they are all absolutely dire and we are heading the same way.

Depressing isn't it?, I think the only solution is to go cold turkey until he goes, anything football related gets the shredder treatment and any mention of Arsenal gets a shrug, there is really very little left to like about Arsenal or football in general for that matter, if that makes me a bad fan I really don't care!, I'm sure there are 1,000 Malaysian superfans waiting to take my place.

If I had the finances myself I would try and get some sort of protest going but I don't, if anyone else does I'll do my best to attend, unless something changes in the next 9 months or so then it's cold turkey time, it's too painful to watch a once great club become nothing but a midtable cash cow for a greedy billionaire.

Post #476530  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:52 pm 

Old question but begs an answer. The G.O.A.T?

a. Pele b. Maradonna c. Messi d. write in: van Basten, Cryuff, CRonaldo, Bendtner (he thinks so)

Post #476531  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:56 pm 

I am not sympathetic to Sanchez.

Post #476532  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:20 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Darren wrote:

Don't buy tickets/merchandise, that is about the only thing one can do to try and put him off, sadly there will probably be enough people who continue to finance "his investment" and the ludcrious TV money as well, I don't get how anyone can get interested or excited about a team he owns though, they are all absolutely dire and we are heading the same way.

Depressing isn't it?, I think the only solution is to go cold turkey until he goes, anything football related gets the shredder treatment and any mention of Arsenal gets a shrug, there is really very little left to like about Arsenal or football in general for that matter, if that makes me a bad fan I really don't care!, I'm sure there are 1,000 Malaysian superfans waiting to take my place.

If I had the finances myself I would try and get some sort of protest going but I don't, if anyone else does I'll do my best to attend, unless something changes in the next 9 months or so then it's cold turkey time, it's too painful to watch a once great club become nothing but a midtable cash cow for a greedy billionaire.

Tickets will soon mean very little once the next generation of TV deals kick in. Each club will eventually be able to negotiate their own TV deals. I think this is what he's waiting for. Merchandise is another one I guess, but if my 9-year-old wants an Arsenal kit for example, then he won't understand he can't have one because Dad thinks the owner is a *%^@ who needs to be taught a lesson. He just wants to wear his team's colours*. It is depressing, you're right.

*He wants the blue kit. FML

Post #476533  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:19 pm 

Darren wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:
it's too painful to watch a once great club become nothing but a midtable cash cow for a greedy billionaire.

Tickets will soon mean very little once the next generation of TV deals kick in. Each club will eventually be able to negotiate their own TV deals. I think this is what he's waiting for.

The thing is, if Wilts is right that Arsenal under Kroenke simply becomes a replica of all the other KSE owned US sports teams, mediocre on the pitch (and I suspect he is), it's a bit of an own goal for Stan letting Arsenal get like that if you're right about the clubs negotiating individual TV deals. Because the best TV deals will go to the clubs with the biggest fan bases, who long-term will also be the consistent trophy winners.

Historically, it is success on the pitch that routinely goes hand in hand with the clubs that have the most supporters (I accept things like plane crashes and glamorous players like Best or Beckham can also have an effect). I once read 75% of Scottish football fans support either Rangers or Celtic. They're also Scotland's biggest trophy winners by a million miles, despite Rangers' difficult recent few years. Real Madrid and Barcelona are easily the best supported teams in Spain, and are also the biggest trophy winners. The same thing goes for Juventus, Milan and Inter in Italy. Apparently 25% of all German football fans support Bayern Munich. Look at their honours list compared to the likes of Dortmund, Hamburg and others and you'll see why.

Before Abramovich took over, the three best supported English clubs were Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal. No coincidence they had also won the most trophies. But since Abramovich's arrival, according to the evidence Chelsea have now overtaken Arsenal's support because their success has been far greater than Arsenal's over the last fourteen years. Recent success is more important than past success in terms of capturing fans.

If Kroenke wants to maximise Arsenal's profits, he should do everything he can - meaning financially - to bring trophies. The problem is, I think he's more satisfied with good profits rather than maximising them, so Arsenal winning trophies isn't a big priority for him. If clubs do end up being able to negotiate their own TV deals, that will backfire on him because other more successful (on the pitch) clubs will be able to negotiate better TV deals (by 'better' I mean more financially lucrative) than Kroenke's Arsenal. That will make it even harder for Arsenal to win things, so the downward spiral for the club under KSE will continue on its current trajectory.

Post #476534  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:
Tickets will soon mean very little once the next generation of TV deals kick in. Each club will eventually be able to negotiate their own TV deals. I think this is what he's waiting for.

The thing is, if Wilts is right that Arsenal under Kroenke simply becomes a replica of all the other KSE owned US sports teams, mediocre on the pitch (and I suspect he is), it's a bit of an own goal for Stan letting Arsenal get like that if you're right about the clubs negotiating individual TV deals. Because the best TV deals will go to the clubs with the biggest fan bases, who long-term will also be the consistent trophy winners.

Historically, it is success on the pitch that routinely goes hand in hand with the clubs that have the most supporters (I accept things like plane crashes and glamorous players like Best or Beckham can also have an effect). I once read 75% of Scottish football fans support either Rangers or Celtic. They're also Scotland's biggest trophy winners by a million miles, despite Rangers' difficult recent few years. Real Madrid and Barcelona are easily the best supported teams in Spain, and are also the biggest trophy winners. The same thing goes for Juventus, Milan and Inter in Italy. Apparently 25% of all German football fans support Bayern Munich. Look at their honours list compared to the likes of Dortmund, Hamburg and others and you'll see why.

Before Abramovich took over, the three best supported English clubs were Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal. No coincidence they had also won the most trophies. But since Abramovich's arrival, according to the evidence Chelsea have now overtaken Arsenal's support because their success has been far greater than Arsenal's over the last fourteen years. Recent success is more important than past success in terms of capturing fans.

If Kroenke wants to maximise Arsenal's profits, he should do everything he can - meaning financially - to bring trophies. The problem is, I think he's more satisfied with good profits rather than maximising them, so Arsenal winning trophies isn't a big priority for him. If clubs do end up being able to negotiate their own TV deals, that will backfire on him because other more successful (on the pitch) clubs will be able to negotiate better TV deals (by 'better' I mean more financially lucrative) than Kroenke's Arsenal. That will make it even harder for Arsenal to win things, so the downward spiral for the club under KSE will continue on its current trajectory.

Let's hope you're right Bernard. But the evidence from the States relating to his franchise teams which aren't the trophy winners suggests he isn't considering trophies as the most important factor in his thinking.

Post #476535  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:29 pm 

Does Kronke know that AW blew £60million by not selling Sanchez?

Would he not be unimpressed?

Has anybody told him?

Post #476536  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:34 pm 

Depressing, isn’t it?

I’ve been in America for the last few weeks and the EPL really seems to be taking off here. At this time of the year in most bars whatever the theme, there’s always wall to wall American Football. Now though, it’s quite noticeable that there are a couple of screens of EPL, which is favoured over any other European league. If Amazon and Facebook get involved in the rights auction, that presence will only grow.

There’s already a reasonable knowledge of the EPL. In particular, once people become aware of my allegiances, there’s general sympathy because of the Kroenke connection; he really does have a widespread reputation for delivering mediocrity, whatever the sport.

I hear what Wilts is saying about boycotting the Club but as a third generation Gooner who has produced a further two generations of Gooners, it isn’t that easy. Arsenal is woven into the fabric of my extended family and most of my early friends’ families too. It’s a large part of who we are.

As I say, deeply depressing.

Post #476537  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:15 pm 

Darren wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:

I won't say he'll never but its very, very unlikely he will ever sell. Ever. Its simply not his MO. There is no history of him selling any of his sports teams. If anything he increases, like he did with the St. Louis Rams and as he is trying to do with us.

We are stuck with him. The club will likely go to his son after he dies. Kroenke may reach a point in 10 or 15 years are so he can't be actively involved due to age and his son will do more of the managing of the club and his other assets. That is the likely scenario.

Kroenke dying or becoming too old to be actively involved is the future.

Post #476538  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:24 pm 

Football has grown by leaps and bounds in popularity. Not enough to challenge the big 4 (American football, basketball, baseball and ice hockey) but bigger than it was 20 years ago for sure. Four main things I think for that is 1. The sport becoming a huge suburban sport for kids, both boys and girls. There is a whole generation of millennials who grew up playing it. 2. PS4, Playstation. Many people I have met who like the EPL or football in general said they started playing football electronically and started watching the actual teams. 3. The US national teams are very, very popular. 4. TV showing matches and making it available for everyone at home. 15 years ago I had to wake up at 5am and go to a British pub in LA to watch matches live via satellite. Those same matches can now be seen live on tv.

Its largely a spectator sport and not a participatory sport like the major 4 are. The other major sports have a connection to vertically integrate from youth to pros smoothly. Football doesn't have that. There are no youth academies. The road is youth teams then high school, get a uni scholarship for 4 years then get 'drafted' NFL and NBA style into one of the major teams which is the same route for 2 of the big 4 (NFL and NBA...baseball has a farm team system...too long to explain, the NHL has a hybrid of both). NFL and NBA propects are identified as early as 10 or 11 or younger and are watched closely by top unis. Not in football. Unis only hear of them typically in HS and are not tracked across the country like basketball and football. A top uni in Florida is well aware of a good youth in Oregon via tons of sites, etc. Football hasn't reached there yet, some kids have to send videos of their games to coaches to get scholarships.

There isn't enough money into it to rival the top 4. American footballers don't make enough on average to compete with the average wage of the top 4.

I think China killed off the MSL (Major League Soccer). America was getting aging stars, who were attracting crowds (Beckham was the first major one). Then China drew those there. The stars prefer America to China over lifestyle, etc, especially for their families but America can't compete with the money.

The surprise to me is that with America nearing close to 25 percent latino descent, football still lags. What may explain that is that Domincans, Puerto Ricans and Cuban play far more baseball.

Post #476539  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:53 pm 

There is absolutely no reason for Kroenke to sell. He is making money with us, the value of the club keeps going up. Why should he sell? Gooners have to come to grips with the fact he is going to own us for the rest of his life and his son will own us after that. That is the future of the club. The only way that changes is if the fans revolt with their money and that's not going to happen.

So, complain, vent, kick the dog (not recommended) but we are stuck with him. Dein's fault. No one likes that bit of truth as well. He brought both Kroenke and Usmanov to us. For all the good he did, those two acts of betrayal has ended my admiration for him. Not for others but for me. While it could be said we wouldn't have had the success we had in the glory years without him, if this is the pay off, its not worth it.

PS: Usmanov still looking worse? :icon_mrgreen:

Post #476540  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:15 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Football has grown by leaps and bounds in popularity. Not enough to challenge the big 4 (American football, basketball, baseball and ice hockey) but bigger than it was 20 years ago for sure. Four main things I think for that is 1. The sport becoming a huge suburban sport for kids, both boys and girls. There is a whole generation of millennials who grew up playing it. 2. PS4, Playstation. Many people I have met who like the EPL or football in general said they started playing football electronically and started watching the actual teams. 3. The US national teams are very, very popular. 4. TV showing matches and making it available for everyone at home. 15 years ago I had to wake up at 5am and go to a British pub in LA to watch matches live via satellite. Those same matches can now be seen live on tv.

Its largely a spectator sport and not a participatory sport like the major 4 are. The other major sports have a connection to vertically integrate from youth to pros smoothly. Football doesn't have that. There are no youth academies. The road is youth teams then high school, get a uni scholarship for 4 years then get 'drafted' NFL and NBA style into one of the major teams which is the same route for 2 of the big 4 (NFL and NBA...baseball has a farm team system...too long to explain, the NHL has a hybrid of both). NFL and NBA propects are identified as early as 10 or 11 or younger and are watched closely by top unis. Not in football. Unis only hear of them typically in HS and are not tracked across the country like basketball and football. A top uni in Florida is well aware of a good youth in Oregon via tons of sites, etc. Football hasn't reached there yet, some kids have to send videos of their games to coaches to get scholarships.

There isn't enough money into it to rival the top 4. American footballers don't make enough on average to compete with the average wage of the top 4.

I think China killed off the MSL (Major League Soccer). America was getting aging stars, who were attracting crowds (Beckham was the first major one). Then China drew those there. The stars prefer America to China over lifestyle, etc, especially for their families but America can't compete with the money.

The surprise to me is that with America nearing close to 25 percent latino descent, football still lags. What may explain that is that Domincans, Puerto Ricans and Cuban play far more baseball.

Curious as to what players MLS will now attract. Not just aging ones from overseas, but from uni level. MLS just seemed a last dance for many overseas players who want to still play, but at a less competitive level, given they're aging say at 31+, prior to retiring. Beckham, among others. Being that China injecting huge amounts of money to attract international prime players from Europe. Some MLS players from Latin America, US may reconsider their options and play in China purely for monetary reasons only, say for 2-4 yrs. Whether or not if that was a choice they make, no guarantee they'd return to play in MLS, depending on age of course, or they may choose EPL or Europe instead, especially with added playing experience in China.
Notice US is out of WC first time since 1986. That's quite telling.

Post #476541  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:25 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Dein's fault. No one likes that bit of truth as well. He brought both Kroenke and Usmanov to us. For all the good he did, those two acts of betrayal has ended my admiration for him. Not for others but for me. While it could be said we wouldn't have had the success we had in the glory years without him, if this is the pay off, its not worth it.

PS: Usmanov still looking worse? :icon_mrgreen:

I'd say it's Fiszman's fault even more than Dein. Moreover, it's a good job Dein did bring Usmanov into the equation, as I'm sure if he hadn't Kroenke would by now have enough shares to delist Arsenal Holdings, with all the consequences that would come from that.

Dein's mistake, and it was a big one, was obviously not doing enough research into Kroenke's ownership of his US sports teams, which as DHD said are well known for their mediocrity. But it was Fiszman who, on his death bed, handed the club over (or sold it) to Kroenke just because Dein was associated with Usmanov at the time. Keeping Dein out of the club was more important to Fiszman than the future health of Arsenal. I don't like to speak ill of the dead, but in my view that makes Fiszman an absolute git, albeit a deceased one.

Post #476542  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Er, Sanchez may be stroppy, sulky,
petulant, yet look at the build up as to why he's that way. He wants to leave. He knows why he wants to leave, so do thousands of others. Club messed up big time over the summer not letting him leave for £60m. Or more if that were possible. Club trying to save face backfired. Chile out of WC. It keeps piling on till he's allowed to leave, depending on what fantastic offer, if any, club will get now. We could lose money on any deal now.

Post #476543  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:40 pm 

Zed wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

petulant, yet look at the build up as to why he's that way. He wants to leave. He knows why he wants to leave, so do thousands of others. Club messed up big time over the summer not letting him leave for £60m. Or more if that were possible. Club trying to save face backfired. Chile out of WC. It keeps piling on till he's allowed to leave, depending on what fantastic offer, if any, club will get now. We could lose money on any deal now.

Shame really that Man City have got more money than sense because nobody else has appeared to come in for him. Same applies to Özil who is looking extremely weak in his bargaining as nobody not even Mourinho it appears is willing to pay him £330K per week. Ref: the Sun.

Post #476544  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:54 pm 

john1 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Let's hope you're right Bernard. But the evidence from the States relating to his franchise teams which aren't the trophy winners suggests he isn't considering trophies as the most important factor in his thinking.

Sorry john1, I wasn't meaning to sound positive about the future. I think the outlook for the club is very bleak under Kroenke's ownership. If Darren is right and clubs are eventually able to negotiate their own TV deals, with more money thus going to the most successful clubs with the biggest fan bases, I doubt it will make Kroenke change his ownership style towards wanting to win things in order to grow the fan base. As I said, I suspect he isn't too bothered about maximising profits, and instead is more concerned about making healthy profits as that still makes his investment in Arsenal financially sound in the longer-term. If so, that means he won't be demanding on-pitch success as far as winning things goes, so not necessitating his funding of that. Staying in the Premier League and being able to negotiates okay TV deals will, I suspect, be good enough for him.

Post #476545  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:50 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:

Indeed Bernard. Think Stan's counting (relying) on mega TV deals. Especially from overseas to fill the gap or lack of trophies, title wins, CL footy.

Post #476546  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:54 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Zed wrote:

Shame really that Man City have got more money than sense because nobody else has appeared to come in for him. Same applies to Özil who is looking extremely weak in his bargaining as nobody not even Mourinho it appears is willing to pay him £330K per week. Ref: the Sun.

PSG would do, but then, Sanchez seems more adamant about City. They can pay his required wages. Time will tell if Özil winds up at MU.

Post #476547  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:00 pm 

Hello Zed,
Will China want those players (Latin, American) from the MLS? The American players will want to stay in America. Unless they are very good and feel underpaid. Clint Dempsey could have been such a player but by and large American players feel they must make the sport popular in America and feel an obligation to stay in the states. The latin players not so much but again, will a Chinese side want them? One or two maybe but not in great numbers. The only thing America has over China is a better place to live in (Trump aside :icon_mrgreen: )

As for tAmeriacn being ouit of the world cup it was primarily Klinesmann's fault. I thought he was tailor made for the U.S. side when he was being considered. He put the American side in the hole losing matches he shouldn't have in qualifying and it was one of a long list of issues. He had very public war with Landon Donovan, who is very popular. Other issues as well. America was one late goal in another match away from being in WC. I'm not upset as its our own fault. I'm more a fan of the women's side anyway. The impact will be in tv viewing. Murdoch paid over 200 million dollars to outbid ESPN and now that may be a hit in viewing without America in it. It remains to be seen. Anytime Rupert Murdoch loses money, its never a bad thing.

Post #476548  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 pm 

It will be interesting (perhaps to some) to see how well the Los Angeles Rams does with Kroenke trying to build a winning side. Part of the reason he was given the permission to move the team was because the NFL not only wanted a side in the 2nd biggest media market in America and the entertainment capital of the world, they wanted a winning side.

A Super Bowl with Los Angeles in it would (in theory) bring in a very large tv viewing audience. Just like how the Lakers did for basketball. How much he spends and who he brings in will be telling. Not sure if he knows how to build a winning side. No joking.

Post #476549  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:10 pm 

...and Sanchez will not be in a good mood when he returns. If its true about a mid-season move, it may be best to make the best of it and take the money. It will depend on where we are in the table. If we are in with a shouit of top 4, do we sell? Or force him to wait for summer with a pre-contract? If we seem we are out of the top 4, we may as well get rid.

Post #476550  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 pm 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Indeed Bernard. Think Stan's counting (relying) on mega TV deals. Especially from overseas to fill the gap or lack of trophies, title wins, CL footy.

Indeed, a leopard doesn't change it's spots, he doesn't go out of his way to bring success to any of his sports 'investments' in the US, why would he suddenly change his MO for Arsenal?.

That's why I see little point continuing to get caught up in the emotional or financial burden of supporting Arsenal much longer, as with the other teams above us pulling further away then you have to ask yourself what is the point?, it's not like the old days where GG pulled Dixon, Bould, Winterburn etc. from the lower leagues, the billionaire/state financed clubs will just continue to dominate whilst we desperately try to cling on to 4th place.

Leicester's random title was a false dawn when in reality there is now clearly a big 3 in the PL (City,United and Chavs) while Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal scrap over the 4th CL spot, Spurs are clearly punching above their weight for now but they could lose a lot of key players when their contracts come up, unless Joe Lewis starts pumping money into them, how did they stay solvent during the last 20 years or new managers spending money?! hmmm..

The other worry has to be if the likes of Usmanov gets bored of being given the cold shoulder, and/or more middle eastern money pours in we then almost certainly drop back even further as Stan will just hope he can find another Billy Bean (err AW) but it doesn't really matter either way, he still makes a fortune.

Post #476551  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:25 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
It will be interesting (perhaps to some) to see how well the Los Angeles Rams does with Kroenke trying to build a winning side. Part of the reason he was given the permission to move the team was because the NFL not only wanted a side in the 2nd biggest media market in America and the entertainment capital of the world, they wanted a winning side.

A Super Bowl with Los Angeles in it would (in theory) bring in a very large tv viewing audience. Just like how the Lakers did for basketball. How much he spends and who he brings in will be telling. Not sure if he knows how to build a winning side. No joking.

AG you are aware that there is a delay for Rams hosting Super Bowl by 1 yr? Kroenke's losing money on that delay. Millions from what I've read. And then there's still the St. Louis lawsuit pending, which he and Rams hope to settle out of court.

Post #476552  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:31 pm 

Haven't seen much of Kiwi lately. Hope all is okay over the ditch.

Post #476553  Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:37 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

Indeed, a leopard doesn't change it's spots, he doesn't go out of his way to bring success to any of his sports 'investments' in the US, why would he suddenly change his MO for Arsenal?.

That's why I see little point continuing to get caught up in the emotional or financial burden of supporting Arsenal much longer, as with the other teams above us pulling further away then you have to ask yourself what is the point?, it's not like the old days where GG pulled Dixon, Bould, Winterburn etc. from the lower leagues, the billionaire/state financed clubs will just continue to dominate whilst we desperately try to cling on to 4th place.

Leicester's random title was a false dawn when in reality there is now clearly a big 3 in the PL (City,United and Chavs) while Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal scrap over the 4th CL spot, Spurs are clearly punching above their weight for now but they could lose a lot of key players when their contracts come up, unless Joe Lewis starts pumping money into them, how did they stay solvent during the last 20 years or new managers spending money?! hmmm..

The other worry has to be if the likes of Usmanov gets bored of being given the cold shoulder, and/or more middle eastern money pours in we then almost certainly drop back even further as Stan will just hope he can find another Billy Bean (err AW) but it doesn't really matter either way, he still makes a fortune.

As long as the 2 Kroenkes are in charge, we may continue to scrap for 4tb place for a long time. The icing on the cake will be the day Spurs win the title way before Arsenal does. I'm not going to say playing at Wembley till their new stadium opens will deter them from winning it though. The potential to win a title is valid. Whether or not Poch stays on is another thing entirely. Let alone risk of losing star players, which could happen as it does elsewhere. Shame we're going down the road of mediocrity.

Post #476554  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:31 am 

Zed wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

AG you are aware that there is a delay for Rams hosting Super Bowl by 1 yr? Kroenke's losing money on that delay. Millions from what I've read. And then there's still the St. Louis lawsuit pending, which he and Rams hope to settle out of court.

Thanks Zed, I was referring to the Rams being in the Super Bowl. Not hosting it. LA has hosted the Super Bowl without a side in order to whet local appetites for a team and because being in 'Hollywood' its more of a spectacle.

He got the move in part because he said he would also make them a winning side...or more accurately try very hard. So, I want to see what a Kroenke side that is really trying hard to win things, looks like in a few years.

Post #476555  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am 

Hi all

I've been a bit quiet the past little while as we've been having a lot of family issues at the moment.

After my missus dad passed away 3 months ago we had the funeral to arrange and right now she and her sister are here going thru their parents things.
Last Sunday was the anniversary of their mums death and today is their late fathers birthday.

My mum has been in and out of hospital lately. They have diagnosed her with MDS - a form of leukemia with a life expectancy of only 6 - 9 months.

She has just gotten over pneumonia and was just out of hospital but then last Wednesday my brother contacted me and said she had a heart attack and had passed away at 88.

As for my 93 year old father, he hasn't eaten or drank anything for 14 days now and is in a hospice. He has dementia and alzheimers, etc.
They have been at his bedside for the most part.

Today my brother was viewing our mums body with his kids when he was contacted and told our dad had died this morning.

So, both gone in a week.

Not having a very good 2017 ;-(

Post #476556  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:55 am 

warrior wrote:
Hi all

I've been a bit quiet the past little while as we've been having a lot of family issues at the moment.

After my missus dad passed away 3 months ago we had the funeral to arrange and right now she and her sister are here going thru their parents things.
Last Sunday was the anniversary of their mums death and today is their late fathers birthday.

My mum has been in and out of hospital lately. They have diagnosed her with MDS - a form of leukemia with a life expectancy of only 6 - 9 months.

She has just gotten over pneumonia and was just out of hospital but then last Wednesday my brother contacted me and said she had a heart attack and had passed away at 88.

As for my 93 year old father, he hasn't eaten or drank anything for 14 days now and is in a hospice. He has dementia and alzheimers, etc.

Today my brother was viewing our mums body with his kids when he was contacted and told our dad had died this morning.

So, both gone in a week.

Sincere condolences Warrior.
tough times, but I'm sure you and your family will be there for each other.

Post #476557  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:11 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
Sincere condolences Warrior.
tough times, but I'm sure you and your family will be there for each other.

Also, I fill in playing bass for a guy in a band and his father died early last week on the Monday so I went to his dads funeral last Friday and then filled in last Saturday night.

Post #476558  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 am 

warrior wrote:
Hi all

So, both gone in a week.

Mate, my thoughts are with you. Horrible having to watch your parents, who you look at as indestructible when you are growing up, having to go through that. I was lucky that both my folks lived to their 80's and when the end came it was swift and relatively pain free (for them).

Hold on to the countless happy memories you have of them and toast lives well lived.

All the best.

Post #476559  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:58 am 

Feel for you Warrior. As others say remember the good times I'm sure you have hundreds of happy memories.

To date you have been very lucky and I wish you a long and healthy life. I lost my mother before she hit 65 and my father at 84 and really miss them both.

Good luck for the future.

Post #476560  Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:58 am 

Condolences, Warrior.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11911, 11912, 11913, 11914, 11915, 11916, 11917 ... 14269  Next