Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 132 guests

Post #474041  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:46 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:
We have, or should have, a more than decent chance of winning the Europa League and if our Premiership campaign falters, and it might, I think we have to take it seriously because it could get us into next season's Champions League.

It’s a bit of a dilemma because it’s a title we should be the favourite to win (we’re clearly the strongest team in it), but at the same time it’s tempting to rest our best players. I think it’s clear that mid-week games in Europe affect league performances on the weekend, so that could be a big advantage for us compared to our rivals. Hopefully we’ll get an easy group, we should be able to beat most of the teams without our best players.

As you imply, a nice easy draw should enable us to get through the group as winners even if we rest our better players. I think the further we get in it, the more Arsenal need to consider putting sides out that give us the best chance of winning the competition.

Getting ahead of myself, but the final is in Lyon. Familiar territory for Lacazette.

Post #474042  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:01 pm 

Didn't realize there is a big London derby this weekend already. Early test for both. No matter the result it will be to early to garner anything more from it. It will be interesting to see how Tottenham and Chelsea play each other. I'm going to guess a draw. Not much between the sides, even with Tottenham not spending. If no major mistakes are made, a draw is likely in order.

Post #474043  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:17 pm 

Keep an eye on Milan in the europa league. They have spent huge amounts of cash this season, it will be interesting to see how they go.

I'd agree with using the europa early rounds to rest 1 or 2 players but equally we could do that in some of the 'easier' prem games. We're effectively resting Sanchez, kos, mustafi and others at the moment

Post #474044  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:27 pm 

High praise indeed from someone of the quality of Shearer. Not unexpected though. The Sol comment was the surprising thing.

http://www.squawka.com/news/alan-sheare ... PSc2ze1.97

Speaking on Match of the Day, Shearer said: “I didn’t mind playing against Sol Campbell, I felt as if I could drag Sol where I wanted to.

“The best defender I’ve played against and I always say when people ask me was Tony Adams. He would be one that I would definitely put in there.

“His job was to defend and he was the best defender I’ve played against. The best defenders are the ones that defend.”

Post #474045  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:34 pm 

I like Jack a lot. Love his personality and fighting spirit and how he hates sperz and he's a proper gooner. I hope he can make it with us. It seemed a sure thing a few years ago and a probable future captain. Now, its uncertain at best. I hope Wenger uses him more than he otherwise might given Jacks recent issues.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... e-10998622

Post #474046  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:36 pm 

...if Villa don't get him.
http://the72.co.uk/89567/arsenal-mid-on-avfc-radar/

Post #474047  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Didn't realize there is a big London derby this weekend already. Early test for both. No matter the result it will be to early to garner anything more from it. It will be interesting to see how Tottenham and Chelsea play each other. I'm going to guess a draw. Not much between the sides, even with Tottenham not spending. If no major mistakes are made, a draw is likely in order.

Oh it'll be hot one. :blob8:

Post #474048  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:13 pm 

Juve sign Matuidi for £18m. That's a fair price for him I'd say, 30 years old so no real sell on. And when I say fair price that kind of translates to a bargain in the current market. Juve have signed 10 players this summer, obviously not all for the first team but this is a team who won the league and were runners up in the champions league. I wish we could see a greater turn over of players. It seems we've parked any in comings until we get some players out

Post #474049  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:48 pm 

West Brom reject an £18m bid from Man City for Jonny Evans.

I'm not sure what is the most riduclous part of that?

Post #474050  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:23 pm 

There's a video released by Valencia that is titled 'we're getting it ready' and it shows the shirt printers getting a name and number on a shirt, it looks like Gabriel to go along with a few rumours that Valencia were after him. A few people on twitter think it's a done deal.

Not sure he ever reached the standard we hoped for him so depending on the fee it is a decent move, Holding has maybe taken his place in the squad. However, I will say for Gabriel that he looked more comfortable on the right side of our new back 3.

One would assume that Chambers won't go now otherwise we are only left with 4 true CB's + monreal for a 3 man defence

Post #474051  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:37 pm 

Interesting questions and answer..

https://www.facebook.com/Emirates/videos/1268919653217781/?hc_ref=ARSlUuITwDGFK6qnEQNx8ba--WUhmdgdnIHRdcdfawfKKhCcJDkLbUOhZxG-rcoq1PU

Post #474052  Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:32 pm 

Asensio is some player for Madrid. Do they even need Mbappe?

Post #474053  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:37 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Kiwi, They have changed the trophy for the Bledisloe Cup. The winner gets to take Barnaby Joyce home.

Magic ... if they are going to deport Barnaby because his ' old man' was a Kiwi ; then I'm booking a flight tomorrow to come over and drain your good old Aussie pension dry ........ because my father was born in Seeed- nee .

Post #474054  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:54 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Kiwi, They have changed the trophy for the Bledisloe Cup. The winner gets to take Barnaby Joyce home.

Magic ... if they are going to deport Barnaby because his ' old man' was a Kiwi ; then I'm booking a flight tomorrow to come over and drain your good old Aussie pension dry ........ because my father was born in Seeed- nee .

If it was a straight swap I would welcome you.

Post #474055  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:22 pm 

Hmmm....worth a punt?

http://www.football365.com/news/draxler ... -he-can-go
Draxler up for grabs as PSG tell winger he can go

Post #474056  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:32 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Hmmm....worth a punt?

a sensible post at last. I'd say yes but the price would be important.

Post #474057  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:48 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Hmmm....worth a punt?

With Ribery and Robben so old now, I'll be surprised if Bayern don't go for him.

Post #474058  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:00 pm 

Would AW go for him and maybe the midfielder others previously mentioned in a deal for Sanchez? Mind you they're reported as having offered 35 million so maybe it's Sanchez's wage demands that is putting them off bidding more?

Post #474059  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

With Ribery and Robben so old now, I'll be surprised if Bayern don't go for him.

Surprised Bayern didn't go for him when he left shalke and when he left Wolfsburg. Exciting young player and scores goals unlike so many wide men who just chip in 4-5 goals a year. PSG will want their money back as a minimum and I'd hand them £30m immediately for him.

Post #474060  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:44 pm 

Carvalho West Ham offer rejected. He has a £40k buy out clause.

AW has gone after him before, at 25 must be worth a punt?

But do we need another DM surely we need to replace Santi Cazorla. Alternatively a world class CB or a winger but not a DM?

Post #474061  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:47 pm 

I would bite psg hands off if we could get draxler and rabiot for sanchez.
They are clearly looking to offload after their massive outlay on neymar and we should be driving this deal to make sure we come out on top.
If sanchez doesnt want to stay then surely rather than cash we should be looking to get 2 quality young players in return.
Draxler seems to be surplus to requirements. We should be in there sniffing around and offering sanchez but only if we get those 2 in return.
18m for matuidi as well. Absolute no brainer!

Post #474062  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:59 am 

Interesting that Draxler is so quickly surplus to requirements. He was quite a popular choice just couple seasons back. Wenger should go get him. I believe the German connection at Arsenal, including Lehmann, should tempt him towards Arsenal. That is if Wenger would go for him.

Post #474063  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:21 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Interesting that Draxler is so quickly surplus to requirements. He was quite a popular choice just couple seasons back. Wenger should go get him. I believe the German connection at Arsenal, including Lehmann, should tempt him towards Arsenal. That is if Wenger would go for him.

The thing is Wenger wanted to make him a striker and I think long term he's better at striker but that wouldn't serve our needs. We can find better wingers. Lemar is a better winger. Draxler has size and pace and that is always a good asset in the EPL. Lastly, we need other positions filled like defense, maybe a playmaker like Santi as well (although that's what Özil should be doing).

I like his potential, always have. Also what wouild be the fee? At least recovery of their 30 mil.

Post #474064  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:32 am 

Rich wrote:
West Brom reject an £18m bid from Man City for Jonny Evans.

I'm not sure what is the most riduclous part of that?

Thought the same Rich on both parts of it. Man City with more money than sense.

Post #474065  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:53 am 

There never seemed to be a specific system and reason for City. No plan for the most part. I love seeing that blatant buying of the game fail. I have always hated Man Utd more but now not sure which one I despise more. Historically Man Utd or the incarnation of City becoming a disgusting money pit.

Post #474066  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:49 am 

david.d wrote:
They are clearly looking to offload after their massive outlay on neymar and we should be driving this deal to make sure we come out on top.
If sanchez doesnt want to stay then surely rather than cash we should be looking to get 2 quality young players in return.
Draxler seems to be surplus to requirements. We should be in there sniffing around and offering sanchez but only if we get those 2 in return.

Rabiot and Draxler fit the profile of player we should be looking at perfectly.
For years we had an experience imbalance in the squad, that has been addressed albeit we are still sometimes accused of lacking leadership.
For the long term prosperity of the club these talented 21-23 year olds in exchange for a player who doesn't want to be with us and is set to leave for nothing next year is the right aim.
I don't like the idea of taking a step back (and it's hard to see how losing Sanchez would be anything but a step back) but if it meant we could take two steps forward over the next 18 months then we should do it.

Post #474067  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:16 am 

Rich wrote:
david.d wrote:

Rabiot and Draxler fit the profile of player we should be looking at perfectly.
For years we had an experience imbalance in the squad, that has been addressed albeit we are still sometimes accused of lacking leadership.
For the long term prosperity of the club these talented 21-23 year olds in exchange for a player who doesn't want to be with us and is set to leave for nothing next year is the right aim.
I don't like the idea of taking a step back (and it's hard to see how losing Sanchez would be anything but a step back) but if it meant we could take two steps forward over the next 18 months then we should do it.

Morning Rich,

I don't see anything happening now apart from a couple of sales.

It would be very difficult to prise any top players away from their clubs with such little time for the selling clubs to find replacements.

PSG might be looking to offload a few but I suspect we will not be quick enough off the mark as per usual. I can't seem them offering both Draxler and Rabiot for Alexis.

People always talk about the hectic last few days of the transfer window but it always seems a bit of a damp squib.

Some rumours linking Mustafe with Inter. Bit of a strange one. Swap for Kondogbia anyone?

Post #474068  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:32 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

The thing is Wenger wanted to make him a striker and I think long term he's better at striker but that wouldn't serve our needs. We can find better wingers. Lemar is a better winger. Draxler has size and pace and that is always a good asset in the EPL. Lastly, we need other positions filled like defense, maybe a playmaker like Santi as well (although that's what Özil should be doing).

I like his potential, always have. Also what wouild be the fee? At least recovery of their 30 mil.

What's your evidence that "Wenger wanted to make him a striker"? I know you wanted him to be turned into a striker, but did Wenger ever say that's what he would have done if we signed Draxler? Perhaps you wanting something automatically means Wenger thinks the same way.

Also, what makes you think Lemar is a better wide player than Draxler? Myself, if Sanchez leaves, and I think he should this summer because it's very likely he will otherwise have to be replaced in a year with no income having been received via a transfer fee for him, then I would have thought that Draxler fits our needs very well.

Post #474069  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:33 am 

He seems happy to play for any team - As long as it's not Arsenal ...

Arsenal striker Alexis Sanchez INCLUDED in Chile squad for World Cup qualifiers... despite missing Premier League opener with injury

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4801148/Arsenal-striker-Alexis-Sanchez-INCLUDED-Chile-squad.html

Post #474070  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:21 pm 

The Telegraph had a go at mapping the support of all the Premier League clubs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk.football/201 ... s-support/

Post #474071  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk.football/201 ... s-support/

Link doesn't work Bernard

Post #474072  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:29 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Link doesn't work Bernard

Just tried it and you're right, it doesn't. Sorry.

Try this one instead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... s-support/

EDIT: Yes, it appears to be working now.

Post #474073  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:55 pm 

I see Bruce Forsyth has passed away. Did Ramsey score a hat-trick in training I wonder?

Post #474074  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:34 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
I see Bruce Forsyth has passed away. Did Ramsey score a hat-trick in training I wonder?

He was an Arsenal fan, despite coming from Edmonton which is predominantly a Tottenham area. Having said that, he has been described as a fan of both clubs but my dad used to go to a restaurant where he went, and the restaurant's owner who my dad knew quite well told my dad that Arsenal was Bruce Forsyth's main affinity in football.

Post #474075  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:51 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

He was an Arsenal fan, despite coming from Edmonton which is predominantly a Tottenham area. Having said that, he has been described as a fan of both clubs but my dad used to go to a restaurant where he went, and the restaurant's owner who my dad knew quite well told my dad that Arsenal was Bruce Forsyth's main affinity in football.

RIP Brucie.

Post #474076  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Arsenal was a popular club for that generation of show business and sports people. Highbury was far ahead of its London rivals as a place to go to watch football in relative comfort, especially in the VIP areas. I think they were rather generous with the refreshments too.

Post #474077  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:17 pm 

Gabriel Paulista departs

Arsenal have sold 26-year old Brazilian defender Gabriel Paulista to Valencia for a £10m initial fee.
He becomes player number 7 to leave the club this season, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£23.4m so far.

Post #474078  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:38 pm 

Disappointing seeing how well he played in a back three at the end of last season. Can't remember the game but he could easily have been my MOM.

Post #474079  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:27 pm 

I hope Wenger is selling the fringe players as quickly as he can, in order to make that one big marquee purchase before the window closes. Who he is, I have no idea. Just speculating and hoping.

Post #474080  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:50 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
I hope Wenger is selling the fringe players as quickly as he can, in order to make that one big marquee purchase before the window closes. Who he is, I have no idea. Just speculating and hoping.

Sebastian Frey

[ 571633 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11849, 11850, 11851, 11852, 11853, 11854, 11855 ... 14291  Next