Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 96 guests

Post #473921  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:13 am 

Sabir wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Chelsea beaten at home on opening day. How sweet :icon_mrgreen:

I find it incredible that they've sold Matic. He gave them so much presence in midfield and formed a formidable partnership with Kante. Why on earth would you break that up?

Matic probably wanted to be with Mourinho much more than being with Chelsea. But I agree, crazy to let him go so easily, and to a top opponent.

Post #473922  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:50 am 

Highlight of athletics for me was Sally Pearson's hurdles win - what joy in victory. A nod to the great Betty Cuthbert.

Attachments:

Post #473923  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:18 am 

Sabir wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Just read that Gibbs won't be going to Watford as they won't pay his 80k a week wages and he won't take a pay cut. Mental we offered him that contract if true but shows how crazy football is that a player would prefer to barely play rather than take a pay cut. I think we may need to consider taking reduced fees for some of these players now otherwise we won't shift them

I think this is the main reason we sell players for so cheap. Their wages are so high that the club is usually prepared to accept a smaller transfer fee. I wonder if it's the new guy from team Sky that is demanding we get bigger transfer fees. I'm not sure, I think £10/12m for fringe players like Gibbs that we've turned down were reasonable offers. We need to trim the squad.

Disappointing that we don't seem to be able to concentrate on BOTH incoming and outgoing players. Any news towards transfers in is just dead. 2 players in, both look good additions, but once again Wenger has taken a squad that failed and believes he can make them 20 points better with just a couple of tweaks.

Right now Wenger is talking about having a squad that is too big, and it is, there are 4-5 players that should be trimmed BUT just because you have the right numbers doesn't mean you have the right quality. Central midfield is absolutely screaming out for another player. I also think a player who can play behind Lacazette is required.
On the CB we certainly have plenty of them but I'd love to have VVD and move on two lesser players. However, CB is probably the last position Wenger will be strengthening this summer

Post #473924  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:35 am 

Rich wrote:
Sabir wrote:
I think this is the main reason we sell players for so cheap. Their wages are so high that the club is usually prepared to accept a smaller transfer fee. I wonder if it's the new guy from team Sky that is demanding we get bigger transfer fees. I'm not sure, I think £10/12m for fringe players like Gibbs that we've turned down were reasonable offers. We need to trim the squad.

Disappointing that we don't seem to be able to concentrate on BOTH incoming and outgoing players. Any news towards transfers in is just dead. 2 players in, both look good additions, but once again Wenger has taken a squad that failed and believes he can make them 20 points better with just a couple of tweaks.

Right now Wenger is talking about having a squad that is too big, and it is, there are 4-5 players that should be trimmed BUT just because you have the right numbers doesn't mean you have the right quality. Central midfield is absolutely screaming out for another player. I also think a player who can play behind Lacazette is required.
On the CB we certainly have plenty of them but I'd love to have VVD and move on two lesser players. However, CB is probably the last position Wenger will be strengthening this summer

Does just having players on the books mean they have to be included in the squad? I wouldn't have thought so. So if Wenger desperately wants to trim the squad, can't he just tell certain players he won't be including them in the squad for this season? Moreover, I would have thought those players would have an added incentive to agree to moves elsewhere, even if the destination clubs aren't willing to meet the wages they got at Arsenal.

Of course, whether they're in the squad or not players will all be legally entitled to continue receiving wages in accordance with the terms of their existing contracts with Arsenal, up until the point they do leave. And if they don't leave, up until the point their contract at Arsenal expires. I also suspect it's likely other clubs would be unwilling to pay so much in transfer fees for players they know aren't being included in the Arsenal's first team squad. But if Arsenal are willing to give up the £50m they could sell a player for now when they expect to him to leave for free in a year (and that's how I'm reading Wenger's 'not super optimistic' comment), is that really such a big deal?

Post #473925  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 am 

Bernard wrote:
Does just having players on the books mean they have to be included in the squad? I wouldn't have thought so. So if Wenger desperately wants to trim the squad, can't he just tell certain players he won't be including them in the squad for this season? Moreover, I would have thought those players would have an added incentive to agree to moves elsewhere, even if the destination clubs aren't willing to meet the wages they got at Arsenal.

Of course, whether they're in the squad or not players will all be legally entitled to continue receiving wages in accordance with the terms of their existing contracts with Arsenal, up until the point they do leave. And if they don't leave, up until the point their contract at Arsenal expires. I also suspect it's likely other clubs would be unwilling to pay so much in transfer fees for players they know aren't being included in the Arsenal's first team squad. But if Arsenal are willing to give up the £50m they could sell a player for now when they expect to him to leave for free in a year (and that's how I'm reading Wenger's 'not super optimistic' comment), is that really such a big deal?

I agree with you on the Sanchez issue. In these situations there has to be a tipping point for the fee that means it makes more sense to sell than keep.
With regards to our squad players, they could be told they won't be registered but we should just be dropping the asking price of these players. If for example Debuchy, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Wilshere are on an average of £50k per week each (I expect it is more) then even just giving them all a free transfer saves £10m this season. You won't get much for Debuchy but we should be able to get £3m for Jenkinson, £7m for Gibbs and £10m for Wilshere which are absolute knock down prices. Fees and wages comes to £30m.

What has happened to Joel Campbell?

Post #473926  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:00 am 

Saw some 'ball in play' stats from the first day. The matches range from 49 to 59 minutes of actual ball in play. I think there is a good argument for 60 minutes games where the clock is stopped when the ball is dead. Time-keeping can be controlled by someone other than the ref who via a mic can call "time on, time off" as he requires similar to Rugby

Post #473927  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:22 am 

Rich wrote:
Sabir wrote:

Morning Rich,

The talk this morning is that Wenger has now given up on Lemar and that we are unlikely to make any further signings.

Quelle suprise!

Post #473928  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:13 pm 

socrates wrote:
The talk this morning is that Wenger has now given up on Lemar and that we are unlikely to make any further signings.

Quelle suprise!

The ambulance taking Wenger for his personality transplant must have broken down on the way to the hospital.

Post #473929  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:22 pm 

Rich wrote:
Saw some 'ball in play' stats from the first day. The matches range from 49 to 59 minutes of actual ball in play. I think there is a good argument for 60 minutes games where the clock is stopped when the ball is dead. Time-keeping can be controlled by someone other than the ref who via a mic can call "time on, time off" as he requires similar to Rugby

Or make them play 90 minutes ball in play and see how quickly opposition goalies suddenly want to kick off. :laughing7:

Post #473930  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:25 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Morning Rich,

Quelle suprise!

Personally not too fussed about Lemar. Looked like a skinny weakling and not really what Arsenal need.

Post #473931  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:53 pm 

Shelvey is an idiot. Very unsubtle stamp on Ali, straight red and pretty much gifting the 3 points to spurs. It annoys me when teams do that against our top 6 rivals

Post #473932  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:13 pm 

Kane should should have been shown a straight red for that scissor tackle earlier in the match.

Post #473933  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:27 pm 

Rich wrote:
Shelvey is an idiot. Very unsubtle stamp on Ali, straight red and pretty much gifting the 3 points to spurs. It annoys me when teams do that against our top 6 rivals

With the ref two yards away, looking right at them. What a stupid thing to do. Newcastle were hanging in there pretty well up until that.

Post #473934  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:16 pm 

Rumours persisting of sanchez in paris negotiating with psg.
We really need to call the shots if this comes off and should be demanding 2 of their players plus cash from the trio of matuidi , rabiot and draxler.
I reckon there is a good chance psg would happliy give up these players to get sanchez and either of them would greatly improve our team.
Lets be aggressive and get something that benefits us , not just cash.
If sanchez really wants out then to psg is perfect.

Post #473935  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:31 pm 

david.d wrote:
Rumours persisting of sanchez in paris negotiating with psg.
We really need to call the shots if this comes off and should be demanding 2 of their players plus cash from the trio of matuidi , rabiot and draxler.
I reckon there is a good chance psg would happliy give up these players to get sanchez and either of them would greatly improve our team.
Lets be aggressive and get something that benefits us , not just cash.
If sanchez really wants out then to psg is perfect.

I'd take Rabiot and Draxler in a heartbeat. I'd prefer a happy and vomited Sanchez to sign a new contract but if he won't sign then sell him to PSG and take some of their players as you've mentioned.
Rabiot may be getable I doubt draxler is, they might be willing to lose Lucas moura

Post #473936  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
I'd take Rabiot and Draxler in a heartbeat. I'd prefer a happy and vomited Sanchez to sign a new contract but if he won't sign then sell him to PSG and take some of their players as you've mentioned.
Rabiot may be getable I doubt draxler is, they might be willing to lose Lucas moura

Rich, you'd "prefer a happy and vomited Sanchez"? With c next to v on a qwerty keyboard I wondered at first if you meant happy and committed, but I'm not sure if committed is close enough to vomited with the extra m and t. So maybe you want him to be jovial after throwing up?

Post #473937  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:11 pm 

At first glance United now look a big powerful side with plenty of pace in Lukaku, Rashford, Martial etc.

Matic looks a perfect fit. A big strong unit with plenty of composure on the ball who gives Pogba the licence to roam. Seems crazy for Chelsea to let him go to a rival.

Post #473938  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Rich, you'd "prefer a happy and vomited Sanchez"? With c next to v on a qwerty keyboard I wondered at first if you meant happy and committed, but I'm not sure if committed is close enough to vomited with the extra m and t. So maybe you want him to be jovial after throwing up?

Haha, typed on an iPhone which has a tendency to autocorrect even the most simple words to something completely different. Rest assured I do not have a desire to see the contents of Sanchez's stomach!

Post #473939  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:18 pm 

socrates wrote:
At first glance United now look a big powerful side with plenty of pace in Lukaku, Rashford, Martial etc.

Matic looks a perfect fit. A big strong unit with plenty of composure on the ball who gives Pogba the licence to roam. Seems crazy for Chelsea to let him go to a rival.

Jose typical signings all 6ft + and makes sure players get in the gym. Good template for the league but won't suit Europe.

Both Manchester clubs should absolutely be right up there for the title given the money they have both spent in the last 4 years. It's roughly a combined £1.3 billion!

The player who could make a difference for them this year is Mykitarian. Has a history of not settling quickly but improves vastly in his second season. He's a class act and can be the creative hub for their team if Jose lets him and allows him some slack for his lack of defensive awareness

Post #473940  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:41 pm 

It just feels like we had the opportunity to bring in 3 or 4 top quality players this summer but will probably have to settle for 2.

We paid £50m for Lacazette and Kolasinac was free. We got £10m for Chesney and will probably sell a couple more fringe players for a combined £20m or so. Our net spend could be around £20m which is not exactly the spend of a club with massive ambition.

I understand wages have to be taken into account but its not like we have tied down Alexis, Özil or Ox to new contracts either.

I may be wrong but it feels like another underwhelming transfer window.

Post #473941  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:33 pm 

socrates wrote:
It just feels like we had the opportunity to bring in 3 or 4 top quality players this summer but will probably have to settle for 2.

We paid £50m for Lacazette and Kolasinac was free. We got £10m for Chesney and will probably sell a couple more fringe players for a combined £20m or so. Our net spend could be around £20m which is not exactly the spend of a club with massive ambition.

I understand wages have to be taken into account but its not like we have tied down Alexis, Özil or Ox to new contracts either.

I could be wrong here but are you implying we may, yet again, be the infamous "1 or 2 (or 3!) players short".

No DoF
No new AM
No new senior coaches
No change in transfer strategy
Best player wants to leave

Catalyst for change?. Wenger will never change and Wenger will never win a major trophy but with the full backing of our unambitious owner this will continue indefinitely until both are gone, wake me up at that point please.

Post #473942  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:13 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

I could be wrong here but are you implying we may, yet again, be the infamous "1 or 2 (or 3!) players short".

No DoF
No new AM
No new senior coaches
No change in transfer strategy
Best player wants to leave

Catalyst for change?. Wenger will never change and Wenger will never win a major trophy but with the full backing of our unambitious owner this will continue indefinitely until both are gone, wake me up at that point please.

It's mad Wilts. Our biggest shareholders are two of the richest men in the world, one who doesn't want to put his hand in his pocket and the other who does but can't.

And one of the highest paid managers in the world does exactly what he pleases and routinely leaves us short of what is required.

Post #473943  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:29 pm 

Rich wrote:

Don't even communicate with the ref .... have some adjudicator in the stand . He stops the clock when ball is out of play and restarts it when the goal kick or throw in has been taken . No -one but he knows how much time is left , don't put up a board saying extra time .
When time is up ...... blow a siren . That would help eliminate the time wasting , dodgy subs , prolonged goal kicks .

Rugby is far from perfect , the clock keeps ticking when scrums collapse , re set collapse , and for periods during injury breaks .

Time rattled on while both teams waited while , some plank sat on his arse to put his boot back on last week .

Rugby has a dopey rule ... play carries on after the siren until the ball goes out or the team in possession of the ball makes a mistake

Post #473944  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:39 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Rich wrote:

Don't even communicate with the ref .... have some adjudicator in the stand . He stops the clock when ball is out of play and restarts it when the goal kick or throw in has been taken . No -one but he knows how much time is left , don't put up a board saying extra time .
When time is up ...... blow a siren . That would help eliminate the time wasting , dodgy subs , prolonged goal kicks .

Rugby is far from perfect , the clock keeps ticking when scrums collapse , re set collapse , and for periods during injury breaks .

Time rattled on while both teams waited while , some plank sat on his arse to put his boot back on last week .

Rugby has a dopey rule ... play carries on after the siren until the ball goes out or the team in possession of the ball makes a mistake

Stop the clock when the ball isn't in play, but why not make the buggers play for an hour and a half anyway? They get paid enough, after all, and we pay enough to watch games.

Post #473945  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:46 pm 

socrates wrote:

It's mad Wilts. Our biggest shareholders are two of the richest men in the world, one who doesn't want to put his hand in his pocket and the other who does but can't.

And one of the highest paid managers in the world does exactly what he pleases and routinely leaves us short of what is required.

just to add to your misery we actually have three billionaires at the club . Farhad Moshiri owns 15% ... mind you he only has 1.4 billion so splashing a 100 mill on a couple of players might leave him a bit short .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -list.html

Post #473946  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Stop the clock when the ball isn't in play, but why not make the buggers play for an hour and a half anyway? They get paid enough, after all, and we pay enough to watch games.

Ye gods ... actually PLAY for an hour and a half .

These fairies collapse clutching their face when someone brushes their sock . You'd have all manner of humanitarian groups up in arms , Amnesty International , the United Nations would be called in .

I've said it before ...contrast the reactions between the Tour de France and footballers . Bloke falls off his bike blood everywhere , skin missing .. he immediately [ barring severe injury ] leaps up repairs his bike and carries on .
Soft cock footballers allow themselves to be stretchered off , only to make the sideline then wave to come back on .

Ask them to play for that time .... they'd need oxygen tents , salt tablets , iron lungs , vitamin injections .

Post #473947  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:49 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
just to add to your misery we actually have three billionaires at the club . Farhad Moshiri owns 15% ... mind you he only has 1.4 billion so splashing a 100 mill on a couple of players might leave him a bit short .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -list.html

The article was published in March 2015 and is now out of date. When Moshiri bought into Everton, Usmanov became the sole owner of the Red and White shares.

Post #473948  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:36 pm 

I didn't watch the Utd game today but it was an impressive result. I expect them to be strong contenders this season. They have declined obviously since Fergie and have had several below par finishes but I also think the overall lack of quality of their squads has been exaggerated. They've had a lot of talent who just haven't clicked and the balance has been wrong but this summer appear to have added decent quality and importantly, players with size and in Matic, a dominant midfielder with winning mentality.

Post #473949  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:25 am 

Sabir wrote:
I didn't watch the Utd game today but it was an impressive result. I expect them to be strong contenders this season. They have declined obviously since Fergie and have had several below par finishes but I also think the overall lack of quality of their squads has been exaggerated. They've had a lot of talent who just haven't clicked and the balance has been wrong but this summer appear to have added decent quality and importantly, players with size and in Matic, a dominant midfielder with winning mentality.

To be fair a net spend of £600m in 5 years when starting with a title winning squad and a great youth set up should lead to a team that can challenge. Utd have a lot of very good players, but now they have a Manager who has bought the players he wants for his style and unlike his predecessors is under absolutely no pressure to use the academy. As long as he's willing to play attacking football, he can do what he wants and spend £200m every summer. They have to be considered first or second favourite this year because they have a successful manager, a strong club and the most expensively assembled squad in British history.

Post #473950  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:25 am 

Sabir wrote:

To be fair a net spend of £600m in 5 years when starting with a title winning squad and a great youth set up should lead to a team that can challenge. Utd have a lot of very good players, but now they have a Manager who has bought the players he wants for his style and unlike his predecessors is under absolutely no pressure to use the academy. As long as he's willing to play attacking football, he can do what he wants and spend £200m every summer. They have to be considered first or second favourite this year because they have a successful manager, a strong club and the most expensively assembled squad in British history.

Post #473951  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:38 am 

socrates wrote:

I agree. I'm not sure its the wages that are the issue, but that the transfer merry go round has been stop start and with the usual teams who sell top players to buy shiny new toys just haven't been selling those players. I do think Monaco's summer business and the suddenly filthy rich Milan's has been enviable, but to be honest when City are spending 140m on 3 full backs, none of whom would represent significant upgrades over ours, its not been the best time to be buying, especially as we've totally failed in cleaning out the deadwood.

I like the players we've been chasing, both in terms of need and talent and long-term value (Mbappe, Lemar, Asensio, Rugani, Goretzka the best examples), but none of those clubs have any need to sell. My suspicion is that we'll see two more outs and one more in before the end of August, but I'd be delighted if we could pick up another central midfielder and another pacey left-footed wide-man. Of course, if Sanchez goes, our entire strategy has to change in a hurry.

Post #473952  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:14 am 

If Sanchez leaves then maybe we were a little hasty in selling Sanogo.

Post #473953  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:58 am 

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fax_KOJGK50[/youtube]

Post #473954  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:03 am 

At Stoke next. Never an easy place to get a result. I think everyone agrees we need another signing before the window closes. I doubt we'll get one. Wenger will pat himself on the back for saving the club money.
I wish there was some way we could accomodate Lacazette and Giroud in the same XI.
The midfield pairing needs to get sorted. Find the right combination.

Hoping for a win at Stoke before we got to Anfield. Hate to see Man Utd back...if they really are.

Post #473955  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:20 am 

Alexis is in Paris? Rumors.

Post #473956  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:11 am 

lomekian wrote:
They have to be considered first or second favourite this year because they have a successful manager, a strong club and the most expensively assembled squad in British history.

They really don’t. They’ve been terrible the last few years, and while Matic is a good signing that could help free up Pogba their squad just isn’t as good as ours, Man Citys, Chelseas or Tottenhams in my opinion. As far as I’m concerned Mourinho must prove he still has what it takes at this level.

But yeah, impressive result against West Ham. Looking forward to a week of hearing how great the tallness of their players are. Just can’t see how they could’ve scored those goals if Martial, Pogba and Lukaku weren’t over 6 feet tall.

Post #473957  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:52 am 

socrates wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Hi all, Mee’s son here.

August 11th was Dad’s birthday, this would have been his 71st. I can guarantee that he would have spent hours of this one on these infamous green pages. Me and Mum both agreed he’d have secretly liked nothing better. Following a less than convincing opening day victory, it’s also a safe assumption that he wouldn’t have the most optimistic outlook for the season ahead…

Seemed like as good a time as any to check in. Glad this community seems to be still going strong, hope you’re all doing well

Hi Jonathan,

It's so sad that your dad is no longer with us. His tongue-in-cheek "doom and gloom" Arsenal prophesies were so beautifully written, without even a hint of bad language or abuse, you could not help but smile whenever you read them.

I think everyone really misses him on here.

Regards.....Soc

I second that, Soc. Those Jeramiads were delightful. And he never stooped to abuse. He is certainly missed.

Post #473958  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:27 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:
Come on Haz, don't keep making up these b%*&s%*^ excuses for our defensive ineptitude.

It's not excuses, it's a fact. We are very good at defending set pieces - that doesn't mean the second Vardy goal wasn't bad or that our defending as a whole is always good, but let's be a little objective here. We don't make that mistake very often at all.

For the first goal Xhaka was practically standing still, while Okazaki was attacking the ball, that's why he reached higher. That goal was the fault of Čech, not Xhaka. It seems you're judging every goal we concede from your narrative of Arsenal defending like schoolboys and it's keeping you from being able to do any rational analysis of our defensive play.

We may be good at defending set pieces, but conceding from every shot on target is worrying ... and this is not the first time.

Post #473959  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:31 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
A disappointing draw at Watford, and with Champions League qualifiers to come - it must tough for a club to begin its Premier League preparations with such matches in mind. Where does one place one's focus? It's a conundrum. One's sympathies are, of course, with Klopp and his team.

Indeed. The proverbial lumpy custard is coursing through the veins.

Post #473960  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:39 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Sabir wrote:
The Ramsey change was totally necessary but Leicester really shot themselves in the foot with the subs they made. Played right into our hands and showed tactical naivety from Shakespeare.
Measure for measure methinks the Frenchman won the day.

Plan B or not Plan B, that is the question?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11846, 11847, 11848, 11849, 11850, 11851, 11852 ... 14269  Next