Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 125 guests

Post #473881  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:37 pm 

Central mid is still an area of the team that's needs strengthening.

Plenty of players to come back in to our side. I prefer Monreal as the left of 3 CB rather than Kolasinac. Heard Gary Neville slating Kolasinac for being too cavalier with his positioning. I think he's very well suited to the left wing back position. Next game I'd go with
Čech
Mustafi, mertesacker, monreal
Ox, Ramsey, Xhaka, Kolasinac
Özil, Welbeck
Lacazette

Post #473882  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:48 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:
Come on Haz, don't keep making up these b%*&s%*^ excuses for our defensive ineptitude.

It's not excuses, it's a fact. We are very good at defending set pieces - that doesn't mean the second Vardy goal wasn't bad or that our defending as a whole is always good, but let's be a little objective here. We don't make that mistake very often at all.

For the first goal Xhaka was practically standing still, while Okazaki was attacking the ball, that's why he reached higher. That goal was the fault of Čech, not Xhaka. It seems you're judging every goal we concede from your narrative of Arsenal defending like schoolboys and it's keeping you from being able to do any rational analysis of our defensive play.

Thats all sounds rather condescending. It you look rationally at our defensive displays over the last decade and ask why we have consistently failed to mount a sustained challenge for the title and/or CL despite being one of the most potent attacking teams around you would have to say that more often than not its our defending that has been one of the key issues. Time and time again we see poor organisation and tactical awareness, a lack of communication, a lack of defensive awareness, poor postional sense etc, etc.

We generally get away with things because we dominate possession against most PL sides and can generally do just about enough to offset the habitually soft goals that we tend to concede against lesser sides. Monopolising possession but then conceding soft goals when opponents are on the back foot is our speciality. Take last night, it took us 27 shots to score 4 and Leicester scored 3 from just 6 shots. We have to work much harder to score against teams than they generally do against us.

When we meet a team that doesn't allow us 65%+ of the possession then our defensive frailties are often ruthlessly exposed. Hence, we've taken more thumpings against top six teams than any of the other top sides, many of them downright embarassing performances, and tend to bow out of the CL as soon as we meet a half decent opponent.

Almost any pundit or ex player when asked why they feel that Arsenal so often fall by the wayside will reply that our defence is our achilles heel. What does Steve Bould actually do because there is very little evidence of any real defensive coaching?.

Post #473883  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:51 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Sabir wrote:
Also, Holding as outstanding as his potential is, really still needs a BFG or Kos/Mustafi to guide him through games. That defence was not a unit yesterday.

And Bellerin just doesn't look like his usual self. His decision making yesterday was not good, constantly bombing forward at the wrong time and leaving Holding exposed. I think it would've looked completely different with just one of Mertesacker or Koscielny on the pitch.

Agree with that. Ox deserves to play there on current form and in the new sytem may have more to offer, certainly in an attacking sense.

Post #473884  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:09 pm 

Just read that Gibbs won't be going to Watford as they won't pay his 80k a week wages and he won't take a pay cut. Mental we offered him that contract if true but shows how crazy football is that a player would prefer to barely play rather than take a pay cut. I think we may need to consider taking reduced fees for some of these players now otherwise we won't shift them

Post #473885  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:47 pm 

socrates wrote:
Thats all sounds rather condescending.

Didn't mean it in a condescending way - I just disagree that the goals we conceded last night were a continuation of the defensive problems we've had in recent years.

But hey, at least we can agree we're doing better than Chelsea!

Post #473886  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:48 pm 

Cahill sent off, Burnley up 3-0. Oh happy days.
:53big-emoticons:

Post #473887  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:50 pm 

What an insane start to the season.

Post #473888  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:58 pm 

Chelsea down 0-3 at home, and down to 10 men. Can it be any better?

Post #473889  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:07 pm 

So nice to see Cahill finally sent off for one of his reckless lunges.

Post #473890  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:27 pm 

What can Man City do to surprise us other than ruin our weekend?

Post #473891  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:31 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

Only Tottenham meeting the same fate is better. Liverpool drawing was nice too.
Great to see Huddersfield off to a good start. How did they rise so quickly? Money? Or the old fashion way, earned it? Its got to be a few decades they were in the top division. Happy for them.

Post #473892  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:40 pm 

Chelsea down to 9 men, Cesc gets the red card

Post #473893  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:41 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Only Tottenham meeting the same fate is better. Liverpool drawing was nice too.
Great to see Huddersfield off to a good start. How did they rise so quickly? Money? Or the old fashion way, earned it? Its got to be a few decades they were in the top division. Happy for them.

Your wish will be fulfilled

Post #473894  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:45 pm 

Recipe for disaster. Neo Nazi, KKK and other such similar groups march in Virginia for the removal of Confederate general Robert E. Lee's statue's removal. Counter protesters, Virginia is an 'open carry' state which on its face is mind boggling. Protesters armed, legally, publicly! Amazed its not kicked off yet, nor do I want it to.
Its insane. If we have to train police in how to use a gun publicly and even they get it wrong, how can a society have 'open carry' with firearms by people who have no training whatsoever?! Insanity. A case can be made for the home..but in public?

Post #473895  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:47 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Recipe for disaster. Neo Nazi, KKK and other such similar groups march in Virginia for the removal of Confederate general Robert E. Lee's statue's removal. Counter protesters, Virginia is an 'open carry' state which on its face is mind boggling. Protesters armed, legally, publicly! Amazed its not kicked off yet, nor do I want it to.
Its insane. If we have to train police in how to use a gun publicly and even they get it wrong, how can a society have 'open carry' with firearms by people who have no training whatsoever?! Insanity. A case can be made for the home..but in public?

*%^@ off a@hole we're only interested in football for the time being.

Post #473896  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:49 pm 

Burnley what are you doing?

Post #473897  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:51 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

*%^@ off a@hole we're only interested in football for the time being.

Give it a rest.

Post #473898  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:57 pm 

Burnley let them back in it but held out. Game should have been locked up.

Post #473899  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:58 pm 

Chelsea beaten at home on opening day. How sweet :icon_mrgreen:

Post #473900  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:01 pm 

Agree on Elneny and Xhaka is a bad pairing. Especially given are the home side against a weaker side. No need to be overly defensive.

I am also not comfortable with our defending. I'm not confidence we can keep a clean sheet against anyone.

After the weekend's results, we may see that it may be a season of attrition where the top 6 clubs can't count on beating the clubs below them so easily. The amount of money in the EPL has certainly helped the lower half of the table get quality players. A few of them can go overseas for decent players when they couldn't have a half dozen or more years ago.

Post #473901  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:00 pm 

Some Arsenal fans are of the opinion that we are more than well stocked up at cb. Others admit we need an addition but say VVD is never a £60m player. As far as I'm concerned I think someone like that would not only improve us now but will be able to take over from Kos in the long run. What I don't understand though is many of the fans that say VVD is not worth £60m are willing to let Sanchez leave on a free next season. How can we afford to lose £50m (implying we have 100s of millions just sitting in the bank) and at the same time complain about a £60m outlay? Doesn't make sense to me.

Post #473902  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:06 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Just read that Gibbs won't be going to Watford as they won't pay his 80k a week wages and he won't take a pay cut. Mental we offered him that contract if true but shows how crazy football is that a player would prefer to barely play rather than take a pay cut. I think we may need to consider taking reduced fees for some of these players now otherwise we won't shift them

I think this is the main reason we sell players for so cheap. Their wages are so high that the club is usually prepared to accept a smaller transfer fee. I wonder if it's the new guy from team Sky that is demanding we get bigger transfer fees. I'm not sure, I think £10/12m for fringe players like Gibbs that we've turned down were reasonable offers. We need to trim the squad.

Post #473903  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:07 pm 

100% agree VVD would suit us down to the ground we should buy as there is noone else available that is better than him, is there?

Post #473904  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:09 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Chelsea beaten at home on opening day. How sweet :icon_mrgreen:

I find it incredible that they've sold Matic. He gave them so much presence in midfield and formed a formidable partnership with Kante. Why on earth would you break that up?

Post #473905  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:12 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
100% agree VVD would suit us down to the ground we should buy as there is noone else available that is better than him, is there?

I wanted Manolas a couple of seasons ago not sure of his availability. But VVD is the one we should go for. Fair enough he might want Champions League and choose Liverpool over us but we should try our best anyway and definitely can't use money as an excuse when we've supposedly reached a financial position where we can lose £50m assets for free.

Post #473906  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:13 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
....there are negatives here aplenty .
Thank God for that, eh?

Post #473907  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:21 pm 

Jonathan wrote:
Hi all, Mee’s son here.

August 11th was Dad’s birthday, this would have been his 71st. I can guarantee that he would have spent hours of this one on these infamous green pages. Me and Mum both agreed he’d have secretly liked nothing better. Following a less than convincing opening day victory, it’s also a safe assumption that he wouldn’t have the most optimistic outlook for the season ahead…

Seemed like as good a time as any to check in. Glad this community seems to be still going strong, hope you’re all doing well
Hi Jonathan. I loved your dad's posts and had the pleasure of emailing him a few times on various matters. His sense of humour was right up my street, and I respected his input on many other subjects as well as football. I was off the forum for some months during which time he passed away, and was most deflated to hear the sad news when I returned. Best wishes to you.

Post #473908  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:26 pm 

Sabir wrote:
The Ramsey change was totally necessary but Leicester really shot themselves in the foot with the subs they made. Played right into our hands and showed tactical naivety from Shakespeare.
Measure for measure methinks the Frenchman won the day.

Post #473909  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:53 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Sabir wrote:
The Ramsey change was totally necessary but Leicester really shot themselves in the foot with the subs they made. Played right into our hands and showed tactical naivety from Shakespeare.
Measure for measure methinks the Frenchman won the day.

It'll soon be November and we all know what happens in November, possibly sooner.............

Post #473910  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:25 pm 

City go top.

Post #473911  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:38 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
City go top.

It's actually Huddersfield who are top. City are currently second.

https://www.arsenal.com/fixtures/tables

Post #473912  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:50 pm 

Sabir wrote:
But VVD is the one we should go for. Fair enough he might want Champions League and choose Liverpool over us but we should try our best anyway and definitely can't use money as an excuse when we've supposedly reached a financial position where we can lose £50m assets for free.

Without commenting on van Dijk's quality, I also accept that he may possibly fancy a move to Liverpool more for the Champions League. But regardless of that, if Wenger would like him at Arsenal I fully agree we can't use Sothampton's allegedly grossly inflated asking price as an excuse for not going for him. For the reason you say. If we keep Sanchez, it's removed that as an excuse.

Post #473913  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:55 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Gun laws? I'm sorry but members of the general public should not be allowed to carry guns full stop. Your country's gun laws are insane. It must be terrifying to be there right now.

Post #473914  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:57 pm 

Chelsea - thanks for brightening up my afternoon. That was hilarious.

Post #473915  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:06 pm 

So disappointing - We've been top of the league all season until now - Wenger Out !

Post #473916  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:25 pm 

warrior wrote:
So disappointing - We've been top of the league all season until now - Wenger Out !

Thought exactly the same .... typical Arsenal go top , fill us full of hope ...maybe just maybe this is the year .

Then that inevitable slide begins ... when Spurs and Man U play tomorrow I expect us to be fifth .

:20hospitals: Might as well write this season off . Oh so depressing

Post #473917  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:48 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
warrior wrote:

Thought exactly the same .... typical Arsenal go top , fill us full of hope ...maybe just maybe this is the year .

Then that inevitable slide begins ... when Spurs and Man U play tomorrow I expect us to be fifth .

:20hospitals: Might as well write this season off . Oh so depressing

Post #473918  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:55 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I know you haven't got the gonads to answer and you probably wont see this ; but I can't resist .

"A case can be made for a gun in the home " .......Tell that to the Japanese exchange student who decided to take part in Halloween ...... door knocked with a mask and got half his head blown off .

Neo Nazi , KKK and all these other irresponsible looneys .... ???

.. an Australian woman got shot dead last week by the COPS .... AND SHE WAS THE ONE WHO PHONED IN THE DISTRESS CALL .

" Police training " :laughing7: :laughing7: ..... shoot anything that moves .

Post #473919  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:16 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
And Bellerin just doesn't look like his usual self. His decision making yesterday was not good, constantly bombing forward at the wrong time and leaving Holding exposed. I think it would've looked completely different with just one of Mertesacker or Koscielny on the pitch.

Agree with that. Ox deserves to play there on current form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUesbTObC9A

:love4: :love4: " I love you Oxo cube ,
With your love so rare and true
Oh Oxo ..... my Oxo cube ,
Well I love you now ,
I love my Oxo cube ....... :icon_flower:

Okay out in the shed to revamp the engine stand .

Nice day ; a balmy 9 degrees at the moment , a predicted tropical high of 14 . Dispense with the jersey

Post #473920  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 pm 

Four boys in Green on the Burnley side....yeöoooooo give it a lash

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11845, 11846, 11847, 11848, 11849, 11850, 11851 ... 14269  Next