Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 92 guests

Post #472801  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:36 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Shocking behaviour by Arsenal in Australia for the Half-Full Cup contenders. Two wins, played well and the fans and kids enjoyed themselves. How dare they do that? Fear not lads, things should revert to normal for you in China, with Bayern ready to put you back on track.

Good luck to Federer today, but I fancied Cilic before the tournament began. He might be a dream-spoiler.

No. Federer will handle him.

Post #472802  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
well done if you said Robin and Steve ... or did you guess Andy

Nope. Serena and Venus, and it was the latter who lost. Isn't Serena the better one though, so someone must have knocked her out.

Knocked her up, you mean.

Post #472803  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:46 am 

Rich wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:
It's an in-built defence mechanism hat all spuds fans have when a player asks to leave; the old "he's not that good, they are welcome to him" routine.
He was one of their best players last season, and only gt left out of the team due to injury giving Trippier the opportunity to shine.
Spuds didn't want to sell at any price, but walker forced this to happen

I know a few fans who rate Trippier higher, I would only agree on crossing, but in all other departments Walker is the better player. However, £50m is still extreme, Walker is a tremendous athlete, the side and style Poch has built has suited his game down to the ground - as it has many spurs players - the system is based on a lot of athletic and physical attributes. It will be interesting to see how Walker fits in with Pep's system which seems to ask far more technical and positional brilliance from all players

Regarding Rich's comment on Walker's crossing ability, Gary Lineker made me smile when he said: "Fullback, Kyle Walker becomes the world's most expensive defender at £50m plus. Imagine how much he would cost if he could cross the ball."

Post #472804  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:49 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Isn't Serena the better one though, so someone must have knocked her out.

Knocked her up, you mean.

Well you learn something every day. I didn't know she was pregnant.

Post #472805  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:49 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
I know a few fans who rate Trippier higher, I would only agree on crossing, but in all other departments Walker is the better player. However, £50m is still extreme, Walker is a tremendous athlete, the side and style Poch has built has suited his game down to the ground - as it has many spurs players - the system is based on a lot of athletic and physical attributes. It will be interesting to see how Walker fits in with Pep's system which seems to ask far more technical and positional brilliance from all players

Regarding Rich's comment on Walker's crossing ability, Gary Lineker made me smile when he said: "Fullback, Kyle Walker becomes the world's most expensive defender at £50m plus. Imagine how much he would cost if he could cross the ball."

:14laughter: :15laughter: :1laughter: Almost as good as your exit/left joke.

Post #472806  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:41 pm 

Everton rumored to be lining up a 30 mil bid for Theo.
Take the money and run? Ask for more? No, keep Theo?

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... ews-Gossip

Post #472807  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:44 pm 

Decaf wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Shocking behaviour by Arsenal in Australia for the Half-Full Cup contenders. Two wins, played well and the fans and kids enjoyed themselves. How dare they do that? Fear not lads, things should revert to normal for you in China, with Bayern ready to put you back on track.

Good luck to Federer today, but I fancied Cilic before the tournament began. He might be a dream-spoiler.

He did that and more. His last three matches have been against really big servers and he has utterly dismantled them. The man is astonishing.

Post #472808  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:05 pm 

So, Sanchez is off. It seems he is using no CL as the ready excuse but he was leaving before it was certain. It can't be to an EPL rival. He has to understand that. At some point we have draw a line about moving to a rival. It never seems to be a Man Utd, Chelsea or City player going to a rival. Has their been? Maybe but a name eludes me at this writing.

Post #472809  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:32 pm 

Worst chant ever? No, I've heard worse.
http://www.givemesport.com/1101812-arse ... -III-1sted

Post #472810  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:02 pm 

How are we selling Chesney to Juve for £8m?.

In the current market a young keeper of that calibre (one of the best in Italy last season) should be worth £15m+.

They must be rubbing their hands together.

Post #472811  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:09 pm 

socrates wrote:

In the current market a young keeper of that calibre (one of the best in Italy last season) should be worth £15m+.

He has only one year left on his contract I think. I hoped we would bring him back and offer him a new contract.

Post #472812  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:13 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So, Sanchez is off. It seems he is using no CL as the ready excuse but he was leaving before it was certain. It can't be to an EPL rival. He has to understand that. At some point we have draw a line about moving to a rival. It never seems to be a Man Utd, Chelsea or City player going to a rival. Has their been? Maybe but a name eludes me at this writing.

Tevez, Mata.

Post #472813  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 pm 

dec wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Tevez, Mata.

Aren't you blocked dec? If he does block all these people, I'm not sure why he keeps asking all these questions as there's a good chance the posts of those knowing the answers aren't going to be visible to him.

Post #472814  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:
Tevez, Mata.

Aren't you blocked dec? If he does block all these people, I'm not sure why he keeps asking all these questions as there's a good chance the posts of those knowing the answers aren't going to be visible to him.

Ya. I'm blocked. I thought there might be a prize :angel4:

Post #472815  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:05 pm 

socrates wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.
Only 8m!

Post #472816  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:08 pm 

Is it just me or do Monaco seem more receptive to selling players to everyone but us.
Silva bakayako both sold and rumours mandy also to city.
If we are that serious why didn't we try and get the deal over the line before they had done any business at All????

Post #472817  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:01 pm 

dec wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Tevez, Mata.

Gabriel Heinze. Fergie said 'no' to his move to Liverpool when Rafa was there. So Gabby went to Madrid. Just thought I'd add that.

Post #472818  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:20 pm 

Decaf wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

He did!

Post #472819  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:41 pm 

dec wrote:
Decaf wrote:

He did that and more. His last three matches have been against really big servers and he has utterly dismantled them. The man is astonishing.

True Dec ..... but as I'm sure the Bermondsey Talent Scout would agree ...... accuracy not power was the key here .

Marin's big boomers were in the main within reach , whereas Roger got him time and time again with a slower slider out wide ; especially to the forehand court .

With the arrival of Borg and Connors every coach on the planet decided double handed backhands were the way to go , two hands you must get more power right ....? but it limits your reach and is harder to change strokes .

Federer with his single hander a simple twist of the racquet and he can slice or top spin in a hearbeat . His top spin backhand was lethal and a thing of beauty .
Federer played a masterful game mixing things up , slices getting that big 6'6" body bending low .

Impossible to know whether Cilic's injury was real or a ploy , he got the crowd on his side and sometimes the opposition can switch off mentally .

Bernard Tomic the Ozzie of Croatian pedigree admitted at a press conference he called for the trainer when there was nothing wrong with him , in an attempt to break up his opponents rhythm .

Parallels with another Croat ... Goran Ivanisevic ...big serve but blows a bit hot and cold .

Wasn't quite as one sided as Hoad v Cooper , Laver v Mulligan or Newcombe v Bungert but it was pretty plain sailing

... and so ends this in depth Guardian tennis review ...well done Roger well deserved .

Post #472820  Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
well done if you said Robin and Steve ... or did you guess Andy

Nope. Serena and Venus,

At a Trivial Pursuit evening in the Principality , a bottle of wine on offer

..... they asked "name the christian names of the tennis playing Williams sisters "

John 1 shouted out "Esther ... and " hold on boyo I know this one "........er ahhhm ... [ thinking hard ] .......er ...... JPR "

Post #472821  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 am 

Zed wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Gabriel Heinze. Fergie said 'no' to his move to Liverpool when Rafa was there. So Gabby went to Madrid. Just thought I'd add that.

Yes, I was thinking within the EPL and they didn't want to. I'm sure there are an example or two, but the point is not with the track record we have, RvP, Clichy, Adebayor, Nasri, etc. to the clubs in our own league. Some of the players we maybe sold willingly (Kolo possibly) but not their best players and they didn't want to, its rare and its a sign you are no longer among the very top clubs if you are consistently losing your best to the clubs in the same league.

Post #472822  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:48 am 

Seems American police mistook this Australian woman for an unarmed black guy. The cop conveniently has his body cam off and the car cam off. This was the same city that recently let a cop off for killing a guy with his girlfriend and her daughter in the car. Feared for his life.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/australian-w ... 59509.html

Post #472823  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:14 am 

So, latest rumor Moussa Dembele from Celtic if (when) Sanchez goes.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFzjG2AuC7E&t=43s[/youtube]

Post #472824  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:19 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Nope. Serena and Venus,

At a Trivial Pursuit evening in the Principality , a bottle of wine on offer

..... they asked "name the christian names of the tennis playing Williams sisters "

John 1 shouted out "Esther ... and " hold on boyo I know this one "........er ahhhm ... [ thinking hard ] .......er ...... JPR "
Kenneth?

Post #472825  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:00 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Yes, I was thinking within the EPL and they didn't want to. I'm sure there are an example or two, but the point is not with the track record we have, RvP, Clichy, Adebayor, Nasri, etc. to the clubs in our own league. Some of the players we maybe sold willingly (Kolo possibly) but not their best players and they didn't want to, its rare and its a sign you are no longer among the very top clubs if you are consistently losing your best to the clubs in the same league.

If you hadn't blocked dec you'd have seen Tevez and Mata are examples. Or I suppose you had seen that and you're pretending not to, as I'm assuming dec's post that Zed replied to would have been visible to you before you took the care to delete any trace of dec's post in your response. The general point I raised with dec yesterday still applies though. Why does American ask all these questions if he has genuinely blocked many of the posters who could give him an answer, perhaps even most of the ones who are likely to?

Post #472826  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:25 am 

dec wrote:
Decaf wrote:

He is at least half cat.

Post #472827  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 am 

The Sydney games were a joy to watch .... brilliant festive atmosphere , the whole crowd just happy to see our team on show ...no moaning gits like Claude , Robbie , and the knob with the headscarf and nose ring .

Arsene enters , the fans clamouring for his autograph , I thought to myself " I'm glad this old w***ker is still in charge

Post #472828  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:04 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:
He did!

Apparently Federer didn't drop a single set in the entire tournament. Is that because everyone else who's capable of beating him were knocked out by someone else before he had to face them (the same principle that used to give me hope even fairly recently that Arsenal might win the Champions League if other teams could knock the Spanish giants and Bayern out)?

Wonder when the last Wimbledon winner didn't drop a single set in the entire tournament, and who was it? Or has it ever been done before? My guess would be there might be more women than men who have done it as they only have to win two sets to win each match, whereas men have to win three sets.

Post #472829  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 am 

kiwipete wrote:
The Sydney games were a joy to watch .... brilliant festive atmosphere , the whole crowd just happy to see our team on show ...no moaning gits like Claude , Robbie , and the knob with the headscarf and nose ring .

Arsene enters , the fans clamouring for his autograph , I thought to myself " I'm glad this old w***ker is still in charge

The fans would probably clamour for the signature of Arsenal's manager whoever it was.

Is, as you describe him, "the knob with the headscarf and nose ring" Bully? If so, I agree. I've been near him at a couple of away games and he's an absolute tit. Arsenal's two most famous non-celebrity fans (Piers Morgan is probably the most famous of the lot), Bully and Maria, are in my view both utter pains in the posterior.

Post #472830  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:00 am 

Arsenal have sold 19-year old British midfielder Dan Crowley to Willem II for a £600k initial fee.
He becomes player number 3 to leave the club this season, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£45.4m so far.

Post #472831  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:34 am 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
He did!

Apparently Federer didn't drop a single set in the entire tournament. Is that because everyone else who's capable of beating him were knocked out by someone else before he had to face them (the same principle that used to give me hope even fairly recently that Arsenal might win the Champions League if other teams could knock the Spanish giants and Bayern out)?

Wonder when the last Wimbledon winner didn't drop a single set in the entire tournament, and who was it? Or has it ever been done before? My guess would be there might be more women than men who have done it as they only have to win two sets to win each match, whereas men have to win three sets.

Apparently it's been done four times before by Don Budge in 1938, Tony Trabert in 1955, Chuck McKinley in 1963 and Bjorn Borg in 1976. So Roger Federer in 2017 is the fifth person to have won Wimbledon without losing a set over the entire tournament.

Post #472832  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:34 am 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
He did!

Borg was the last man to do it. No idea with regard to the women.

Federer was supreme. I'm not sure any if the other big 4 would have troubled him. Not unless they hit their own peaks.

Post #472833  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:42 am 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Federer was supreme. I'm not sure any if the other big 4 would have troubled him. Not unless they hit their own peaks.

You must be including Djokovic, Nadal and Murray as three of the other four, as even I've heard of them. Who is the other one?

Post #472834  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

The fans would probably clamour for the signature of Arsenal's manager whoever it was.

Is, as you describe him, "the knob with the headscarf and nose ring" Bully? If so, I agree. I've been near him at a couple of away games and he's an absolute tit. Arsenal's two most famous non-celebrity fans (Piers Morgan is probably the most famous of the lot), Bully and Maria, are in my view both utter pains in the posterior.

Agree with you there...and I'd add the countless other 'fans' who use football to publicise themselves.

Even Maria's friends don't like to sit next to her. I went to an Arsenal ladies match at Wycombe's ground a couple of years back. Just before kick off she came along my row with 2 other people and her seat was to one side of me, the other 2 on the other side. As you would I offered to swap seats with them so they could sit together and one of them was very quick to decline the offer, laughing. And don't get me started on her bloody ridiculous chants. When I go to Boreham Wood I make sure I'm as far away from her as it is possible to get in the ground...and she's till bloody annoying.

Post #472835  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:45 am 

warrior wrote:
Arsenal have sold 19-year old British midfielder Dan Crowley to Willem II for a £600k initial fee.
He becomes player number 3 to leave the club this season, taking Arsenal's net spend to -£45.4m so far.

Personally not at all sorry to see him go. O bviously I don't know him and am just judging from what I've seen of him on the pitch but he always seemed a wrong 'un to me with a bad attitude to colleagues and coaches. A Billy Big Boots if you like.

Post #472836  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 am 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

You must be including Djokovic, Nadal and Murray as three of the other four, as even I've heard of them. Who is the other one?

The Big 4 are Fed, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. I could have made it a bit clearer.

Post #472837  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:11 am 

Exiled wrote:
warrior wrote:

Personally not at all sorry to see him go. O bviously I don't know him and am just judging from what I've seen of him on the pitch but he always seemed a wrong 'un to me with a bad attitude to colleagues and coaches. A Billy Big Boots if you like.

I thought Hodd said pretty much the same. Words to the effect of Crowley not being as good as he thought he was. dec couldn't recall Hodd saying that, but after one of kiwipete posts I'm more confident he did.

Post #472838  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:21 am 

dec wrote:
The Big 4 are Fed, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. I could have made it a bit clearer.

Thanks. I mistakenly took what you said as meaning there were four others who you wouldn't have expected to trouble Federer.

Post #472839  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

And with that, Mr Hoy took his big barrel of sarcasm and put it back in the garden shed. "Plenty there to keep me going until November at least" he mused to himself "Although I might need a top-up around the time we play Lokomotiv Vinkovci in the Europa League. His neighbour Ada waved cheerfully at him from across the fence which probably needed a touch of creosote. "Lawks, My Hoy, they're sitting down to discuss Brexit again this morning, any news on the trade deal with the Solomon Islands that will restore our dignity as a self-governing nation?" Hoy looked at her sternly.

"What have I told you that walls have, Ada?"

"Ears, My Hoy?"

"Indeed. We must simply trust the real Prime Minister Mr Corbyn to do his best for us and secure a Brexit on the best possible terms for the many and not the few."

It was not usually Mr Hoy's way to set people right but sometimes it just had to be done.

Post #472840  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:10 pm 

dec wrote:
Of course a great performance by Federer, but things went his way a little. Both Djokovic and Murray were unfit and Nadal, who was in top form, just happened to lose a five-setter he might have won. Federer would probably have been favourite against Nadal, but it could have been a great contest.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11818, 11819, 11820, 11821, 11822, 11823, 11824 ... 14269  Next