Fixtures Sunday November 1st - Manchester United - Old Trafford - 4:30 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:38 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 2 guests

 
Post #472201  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18043

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Any country that produced Neil Finn, Richard Hadlee, Barry Briggs, Katherine Mansfield, John Waker and Peter Snell is alright by me.

Don't forget Glenn Turner.
Indeed - one of the greats. Almost as good as Kumar Sangakkara.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472202  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18043

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Don't forget Glenn Turner.

Surely, Edmund Hillary is New Zealand's most celebrated figure.
Don't you think they made a mountain out of a mole hill over his achievement?

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472203  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7435

old man of hoy wrote:
dec wrote:
Surely, Edmund Hillary is New Zealand's most celebrated figure.
Don't you think they made a mountain out of a mole hill over his achievement?

I'll get your coat.....

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472204  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18043

dec wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Don't you think they made a mountain out of a mole hill over his achievement?

I'll get your coat.....
I could feel you Tensing up over that joke...

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472205  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7435

old man of hoy wrote:
dec wrote:
I'll get your coat.....
I could feel you Tensing up over that joke...

:laughing7: Now that was funny. I've put the coat back on the hanger.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472206  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29754

Hodd, get on the next flight to Belgium
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaZRnU1n2xU[/youtube]

_________________
"What is best in life?
Conan: "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472207  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I think it's because we are such a poxy little country we are going ape sh*t over this achievement...
Any country that produced Neil Finn, Richard Hadlee, Barry Briggs, Katherine Mansfield, John Walker and Peter Snell is alright by me.

Aaah what it is to have friends on here ,

Surprised given your tennis bent you missed your boyhood hero Anthony Wilding from that list of Kiwi greats

Okay so you were only seven when he won his first of Wimbledon's in 1910 ...... but four Wimbledons and two Aussie opens in singles . one Aussie , four Wimbledon doubles titles shouldn't have skipped your memory
Helped win the Davis Cup four times when we combined with our mates from across the ditch . Killed in France WW1

Have this while you fit that final screw to the rake handle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmQlBfxh4Us


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472208  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

old man of hoy wrote:
dec wrote:
I'll get your coat.....


I could feel you Tensing up over that joke...


Should also be noted Hillary , not Trump was involved


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472209  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:31 pm
Posts: 8152
Location: London

HoddGooner wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Particularly odd given how many good wingers and attacking midfielders Benfica have at that age group already. That said, it seems to be an issue with the family. His older brother Matthew jumped ship to Man U at 16, and his younger brother hasn't signed the pro contract he's been offered either. Given how Chris in particular has been bigged up by the manager, and how Europe League football should provide lots of opportunities for the kids, its seems very strange indeed. Worst of all, because he's going abroad, we get almost no compensation.

Matty Willock was actually released (not offered a pro contract)


Ah yes, of course. My mistake.

_________________
"....its up for grabs now.........THOMAS!"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472210  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:31 pm
Posts: 8152
Location: London

Saul Niguez showing why Wenger put in more than bid for him 2 years ago (and indeed might have got him had Athletico not been hit by a midfield injury crisis that thrust him into the team), with a brilliant hat-trick for Spain U21s (5 goals in 3 games in the tournament). Lovely player.

_________________
"....its up for grabs now.........THOMAS!"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472211  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:02 pm
Posts: 7959

Rumours gathering pace on Lemar. He'd be a top addition. Theo just doesn't seem to fit into this system but did score a lot of goals from the right wing. Think it's time to sell him. I reckon we'll get Mahrez if Theo leaves. Would be an upgrade especially if we get the 2015/16 version.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472212  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

dec wrote:
New Zealand's most celebrated figure. And of course an annoying and seemingly endless production line of world class rugby players.


Ahh bejesas Dec....yous get your fair share so you do ...

Tony O' Reilly , Willie John McBride , Brian O' Driscoll .... one every twenty years or so :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472213  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 6085
Location: Townsville Australia

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I think it's because we are such a poxy little country we are going ape sh*t over this achievement...
Any country that produced Neil Finn, Richard Hadlee, Barry Briggs, Katherine Mansfield, John Waker and Peter Snell is alright by me.

I suggest you both get a room to continue the love in. I can see Hoy and Kiwi in a bedroom singing give peace a chance while the world press covers the event. Just putting my fingers down my throat at the moment - Richard Hadlee, Glenn Turner

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472214  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13376

Niall wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
While there may not have been anything quite as openly stated as the current DUP deal, various UK governments since the Good Friday Agreement of 1998 have been ready to spend public money in Northern Ireland to keep things sweet. The spend of public money per capita figures for UK regions and countries for 2011/12-2015/16 were published in a House of Commons Briefing Note last November, and they show Northern Ireland consistently as the largest beneficiary. http://researchbriefings.files.parliame ... N04033.pdf


The UK Govt is not paying more money in here to "keep things sweet." That's totally inaccurate.

TG, Irish nationalists held the "balance of power" back in 1885 where they supported Gladstone over the conservatives. This was used to advance the cause of Home Rule for Ireland (something like devolution today).

The deal is definitely grubby - 100 million a vote - but it would be churlish ofme not to welcome extra money for the region where infrastructure lags well behind the rest of the UK and Rep.Ireland. The majority of the money spent by the UK for a long time went on security issues and of course the Republic has benefited from its membership of the EU and the money diverted there.
Hmmm ... Sounds like a recipe for corruption, pork, and wasteful expenditure.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472215  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29754

Sabir wrote:
Rumours gathering pace on Lemar. He'd be a top addition. Theo just doesn't seem to fit into this system but did score a lot of goals from the right wing. Think it's time to sell him. I reckon we'll get Mahrez if Theo leaves. Would be an upgrade especially if we get the 2015/16 version.


Don't know the price as I've not been keeping up but wondering if its an either/or or 'and' regarding him and Lacazette?

We need a makeover to some extent but we really need to maintain the mental discipline we had the last 10 matches.

_________________
"What is best in life?
Conan: "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472216  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Any country that produced Neil Finn, Richard Hadlee, Barry Briggs, Katherine Mansfield, John Walker and Peter Snell is alright by me.

Just putting my fingers down my throat at the moment - Richard Hadlee, Glenn Turner


I always had a lot of time for Ritchie Benaud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvGHC7REkdM


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472217  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:17 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just putting my fingers down my throat at the moment - Richard Hadlee, Glenn Turner

I always had a lot of time for Greg Chappell but Ritchie Benaud was my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2qpj-yBkwY

Richie Benaud is my favourite commentator of all time, not just for cricket but any sport including football. Before my time as a player though. Can't recall exactly when, but he died a while back. Not all that long ago. A year or two perhaps, maybe even three?

Saw Greg Chappell bat when my Dad took me to an Ashes test at Lords, or the last day of it anyway. Brilliant batsman but got a feeling the game petered out into a draw and he batted quite cautiously to ensure Australia didn't lose. Greg's brother Ian was the captain and the side around that time had a number of very fine players including the wicket keeper Rodney Marsh and the fast bowlers Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson, and Thomson played for Middlesex for a while. Was there an all rounder called Doug Walters, or something like that?

EDIT: Richie Benaud died in April 2015, so just over two years ago.


  
 
 
Post #472218  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:19 pm
Posts: 1946

Can I ask why in God's name do the Admin keep Abu on here. Just pops up every now and then with abuse. gGt rid of the waste of space.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472219  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18043

Decaf wrote:
Niall wrote:

The UK Govt is not paying more money in here to "keep things sweet." That's totally inaccurate.

TG, Irish nationalists held the "balance of power" back in 1885 where they supported Gladstone over the conservatives. This was used to advance the cause of Home Rule for Ireland (something like devolution today).

The deal is definitely grubby - 100 million a vote - but it would be churlish ofme not to welcome extra money for the region where infrastructure lags well behind the rest of the UK and Rep.Ireland. The majority of the money spent by the UK for a long time went on security issues and of course the Republic has benefited from its membership of the EU and the money diverted there.
Hmmm ... Sounds like a recipe for corruption, pork, and wasteful expenditure.
The irony is that for all the 'democratic' objections to it, May's deal with the DUP has shed more light on the way UK's public money is allocated to the regions than hitherto. If Corbyn gets into Number 10 he is unlikely to be able to change the imbalance. Probably won't want to anyway.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472220  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18043

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I always had a lot of time for Greg Chappell but Ritchie Benaud was my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2qpj-yBkwY

Richie Benaud is my favourite commentator of all time, not just for cricket but any sport including football. Before my time as a player though. Can't recall exactly when, but he died a while back. Not all that long ago. A year or two perhaps, maybe even three?

Saw Greg Chappell bat when my Dad took me to an Ashes test at Lords, or the last day of it anyway. Brilliant batsman but got a feeling the game petered out into a draw and he batted quite cautiously to ensure Australia didn't lose. Greg's brother Ian was the captain and the side around that time had a number of very fine players including the wicket keeper Rodney Marsh and the fast bowlers Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson, and Thomson played for Middlesex for a while. Was there an all rounder called Doug Walters, or something like that?

EDIT: Richie Benaud died in April 2015, so just over two years ago.
'Deadly' Doug was a very good cricketer until he played England. Never justified his high reputation in Tests over here. Like Norman O'Neill before him. Lillee and Thomson though, thy were right up there with the greats. Once he stopped trying to be a tearaway, Lillee was almost the perfect fast bowler.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472221  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:09 am
Posts: 6774

Northbank Memories wrote:
Can I ask why in God's name do the Admin keep Abu on here. Just pops up every now and then with abuse. gGt rid of the waste of space.


Attachments:
kd.png
kd.png [ 82.73 KB | Viewed 2526 times ]

_________________
I'm going to do AG
 Profile  
 
 
Post #472222  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29754

Northbank Memories wrote:
Can I ask why in God's name do the Admin keep Abu on here. Just pops up every now and then with abuse. gGt rid of the waste of space.


I've got him blocked but I see the name come after I post [the name appears but the actual post is not seen]I just assume its abuse. Same as before he was blocked. Same with one or two others specifically only to me I have to assume. I feel so special.

My guess is he has a right to by forum rules. Someone who does that just tells everyone what they are really about. Not a real fan of the club if its all you do.

Abu specifically has left very nasty PMs out the blue to me personally. I guess he doesn't like to be ignored. Some of the PMs have crossed the line in my opinion. I don't look at them, I just delete.

_________________
"What is best in life?
Conan: "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472223  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2409

Michael Bond may be gone, but this little guy is still here.


Attachments:
Paddington Bear.jpg
Paddington Bear.jpg [ 8.69 KB | Viewed 2534 times ]

_________________
Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down....
Jimmy Durante
 Profile  
 
 
Post #472224  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29754

I keep reading there is a good chance we lose Lacazette to Atletico or elsewhere but the winger from Monaco seems a more promising target.

http://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/t ... s-13254329

"They tried and failed to bring Alexandre Lacazette to the club from Lyon last summer and ended up with Lucas Perez instead.

There is an argument that Lucas has not been given a fair enough crack of the whip and has actually impressed when handed rare cameos but the brutal truth is that Arsene Wenger is open to allowing him to return to Spain.

But Arsenal appear better equipped this summer given their simultaneous attempts to sign Monaco's Kylian Mbappe and Lacazette."

_________________
"What is best in life?
Conan: "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472225  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:52 pm
Posts: 967
Location: Salisbury

So we've bid £31M for Thomas Lemar, why exactly?, he's 21 and has a contract until 2019/20, Bernardo Silva went for £43M, they want £120M+ for Mbappe so why would they accept £31M for one of their prize assets?, clearly in the inflated market they will want at least £45M probably more so why are we STILL low balling offers like we're operating 5 years behind everyone else?!.

_________________
Wake me up when wiggy snuffs it


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472226  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:09 am
Posts: 6774

AmericanGooner wrote:
Northbank Memories wrote:
Can I ask why in God's name do the Admin keep Abu on here. Just pops up every now and then with abuse. gGt rid of the waste of space.


I've got him blocked but I see the name come after I post [the name appears but the actual post is not seen]I just assume its abuse. Same as before he was blocked. Same with one or two others specifically only to me I have to assume. I feel so special.

My guess is he has a right to by forum rules. Someone who does that just tells everyone what they are really about. Not a real fan of the club if its all you do.

Abu specifically has left very nasty PMs out the blue to me personally. I guess he doesn't like to be ignored. Some of the PMs have crossed the line in my opinion. I don't look at them, I just delete.


Attachments:
kernit.png
kernit.png [ 72.25 KB | Viewed 2446 times ]

_________________
I'm going to do AG
 Profile  
 
 
Post #472227  Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16722

Everton are making some early moves this window:
Pickford £30m
Klassen £25m
Sandro £5m (bargain)
Onyekuru £7m
now Michael Keane looking likely at £25m
and they're still after Siggurdson.

They may well lose Barkley and Lukaku but the additions look good so far. I like the two strikers they've bought for £12m - I reckon they are both worth triple that amount in 2 years. Surprised we didn't go harder for Oynyekuru after we were linked, £7m is loose change in today's market


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472228  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29754

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
So we've bid £31M for Thomas Lemar, why exactly?, he's 21 and has a contract until 2019/20, Bernardo Silva went for £43M, they want £120M+ for Mbappe so why would they accept £31M for one of their prize assets?, clearly in the inflated market they will want at least £45M probably more so why are we STILL low balling offers like we're operating 5 years behind everyone else?!.

The offer sounds like its Wenger doing the negotiating. Perhaps Gazidis is just as parsimonious but the fee offered 'smells' like Wenger.

If he gets the player close to that he's a hero, if he loses him he's the goat. We'll just have to see. The plus on our side is Wenger has a great rep in France.

_________________
"What is best in life?
Conan: "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472229  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29754

I'm still worried about the defense. We gave up a bucketful of goals last term. Perhaps its resolved with the 3 at the back formation. Perhaps. We did defend better.

_________________
"What is best in life?
Conan: "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472230  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
I always had a lot of time for Greg Chappell but Ritchie Benaud was my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2qpj-yBkwY

Richie Benaud is my favourite commentator of all time, not just for cricket but any sport including football.

Thomson played for Middlesex for a while.


On Benaud ...agreed .... extremely knowledgeable , unbiased , quiet well modulated voice ...... a complete gentleman something that would be rare if unheard of in today's world .
Brian Moore I thought approached those heights .

Today's pundits are a different breed and in lots of cases say something really stupid or outrageous to generate attention , have irate fans ringing in .

Decided to do a counties of England quiz the other day ... started Cornwall , Devon , Hampshire etc rattled along the South Coast ...going well ...... did Greater London ..next county to the west ; thought that's got to be Middlesex

......hmm that's strange Middlesex isn't available to choose ...checking later I find it went out of existence in 1967 .


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472231  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 6085
Location: Townsville Australia

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm still worried about the defense. We gave up a bucketful of goals last term. Perhaps its resolved with the 3 at the back formation. Perhaps. We did defend better.

Actually a very good point. I believe that rival managers will look at how we play back 3 and look for weaknesses. It happens with players - it takes about 10-20 games for rivals to work out their weakness and then exploit it. Chambers being a perfect case in point. looked like a world beater and then they started to exploit his problems. So there is no guarantee that 3 at the back will work as well next year but it was a big improvement on what went before.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472232  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:18 am 

kiwipete wrote:
......hmm that's strange Middlesex isn't available to choose ...checking later I find it went out of existence in 1967 .

Tiat's true. I believe Middlesex as a county no longer formally exists, although fortunately the county cricket club was named when it did and serves as a reminder it once did. I'm not sure but I wonder if what did for the county was the development of boroughs as London councils affiliated to a wider Greater London Council. I'm not saying it is, but it sounds feasible.

Middlesex used to cover large areas that are now in London boroughs north of the Thames. That includes bits of Haringay council as Tottenham's ground used to be in Middlesex. But I once saw a map of the older boundaries of Middlesex and so were bits of what's now Islington Council. It also included Highbury before Arsenal moved there. That would mean the areas that now include both North London clubs' grounds were once in Middlesex.

I think areas of Enfield, Edgware, Barnet, Finchley, Harrow, Ruislip, Pinner, Uxbridge and surrounding districts (now covered by various London boroughs) used to be in Middlesex too. In fact I've got relatives in Ruislip, now in the London Borough of Hillindon, and their address after the road name is still Ruislip, Middlesex. The same applied to a friend who once lived in Edgware, now in Barnet Council. Her full address after the road name was Edgware, Middlesex. Darren now lives in the Enfield Council's boundary. I suspect the addresses used for much of Enfield is still Enfield, Middlesex.


  
 
 
Post #472233  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 am
Posts: 15

Johnny Vegas went to Middlesex University.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472234  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm
Posts: 3394
Location: Waltham Abbey, Essex

AmericanGooner wrote:
I keep reading there is a good chance we lose Lacazette to Atletico or elsewhere but the winger from Monaco seems a more promising target.

http://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/t ... s-13254329

"They tried and failed to bring Alexandre Lacazette to the club from Lyon last summer and ended up with Lucas Perez instead.

There is an argument that Lucas has not been given a fair enough crack of the whip and has actually impressed when handed rare cameos but the brutal truth is that Arsene Wenger is open to allowing him to return to Spain.

But Arsenal appear better equipped this summer given their simultaneous attempts to sign Monaco's Kylian Mbappe and Lacazette."


If you weren't such a Muppet and read more posts you might realise that Athletico won't be buying nor probably selling anyone due to a transfer embargo.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472235  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:58 am 

True Blue Gunner Gooner wrote:
Johnny Vegas went to Middlesex University.

Yes there is a Middlesex University, and a North Middlesex Hospital.


  
 
 
Post #472236  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:22 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
So we've bid £31M for Thomas Lemar, why exactly?

According to the BBC you've less to worry about. Their reporter David Ornstein says his arrival at Arsenal is looking less likely than Lacazett,.

There are suggestions that a deal for Lacazette may even be in doubt. If it is, my guess would be it's down to the price. Which may include Giroud, perhaps?


  
 
 
Post #472237  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16722

Seen plenty of stories recently which say wenger was 'IN' for all these young French players well before they burst on the scene and added a n extra 0 to their price. Mbappe, lemar, kante etc. Not just French youngsters either. I know we can't sign them all and their development with us would have been no guarantee but it is well known that wenger dithers over transfers. Apparently Lemar was bough from Caen for £3m, Monaco beat arsenal to him. If we really wanted him the small fee is pittance and we should be far more bullish in the market. It has to be time to act like all other top clubs and take transfer negotiations away from wenger.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472238  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 6085
Location: Townsville Australia

Bernard wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:
So we've bid £31M for Thomas Lemar, why exactly?

According to the BBC you've little to worry about. Their reporter Ornstein says his arrival at Arsenal is looking less likely.

Why do you continue to put yourself through the transfer part of the season. We will not even be looking to pay proper fees for any players until we drop our first points of the season in mid August. We then make some panic buys of players who are pretty good but not top top players. This year we will have 3 games before we panic and realise we are already behind other clubs. It does not seem to cross peoples mind that if we buy in late August it takes them until mid October to understand how the team plays.

Bernard don't do it. Hoy will now come on and reply with ZZZZ.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472239  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 18727

Rich wrote:
Seen plenty of stories recently which say wenger was 'IN' for all these young French players well before they burst on the scene and added a n extra 0 to their price. Mbappe, lemar, kante etc. Not just French youngsters either. I know we can't sign them all and their development with us would have been no guarantee but it is well known that wenger dithers over transfers. Apparently Lemar was bough from Caen for £3m, Monaco beat arsenal to him. If we really wanted him the small fee is pittance and we should be far more bullish in the market. It has to be time to act like all other top clubs and take transfer negotiations away from wenger.


Hi Rich,

A few weeks ago I read that a couple of seasons or so ago we supposedly had a deal agreed at 15m euros for both Lemar and Kante combined but Wenger being Wenger pulled the plug at the last minute.

How costly was that, if true?

Just found the story:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... Kante-deal


 Profile  
 
 
Post #472240  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 12353

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
Seen plenty of stories recently which say wenger was 'IN' for all these young French players well before they burst on the scene and added a n extra 0 to their price. Mbappe, lemar, kante etc. Not just French youngsters either. I know we can't sign them all and their development with us would have been no guarantee but it is well known that wenger dithers over transfers. Apparently Lemar was bough from Caen for £3m, Monaco beat arsenal to him. If we really wanted him the small fee is pittance and we should be far more bullish in the market. It has to be time to act like all other top clubs and take transfer negotiations away from wenger.


Hi Rich,

A few weeks ago I read that a couple of seasons or so ago we supposedly had a deal agreed at 15m euros for both Lemar and Kante combined but Wenger being Wenger pulled the plug at the last minute.

How costly was that, if true?

Just found the story:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... Kante-deal


He's definitely lost his mojo when it comes to recruiting young players from his former homeland.


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 518067 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11803, 11804, 11805, 11806, 11807, 11808, 11809 ... 12952  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 2 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018