Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris and 111 guests

Post #472161  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:47 am 

Sabir wrote:
Furball wrote:

You must have missed the news, Arsene signed a new contract. Thinking we will have a "plan B" is just naive.

Giroud has scored a huge amount of headed goals since he arrived. I've forgotten if he's first or second highest in the headed goals record over the last five years but it's an aspect we severely lacked on before his arrival. And don't forget how useful he has been as a sub. It's a great option to have. Between Lacazette if he signs and if Theo and Alexis stay, not much height there. Wellbeck is decent in the air but misses so much football.

I'm not Giroud's biggest fan and wouldn't be that upset if he left but we would be losing a certain type of threat.

You missed he irony. I am one of the most pro-giroud people on this forum however, for reasons that escape me, we never truly play to his strengths (aka the plan B).

Post #472162  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:06 am 

An Alexis/Aguero sway being touted.

Can't see it myself. At his age, why would Aguero want to swap City for a team not in the CL? Unless he wants to live in London.

Post #472163  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:09 am 

socrates wrote:

Can't see it myself. At his age, why would Aguero want to swap City for a team not in the CL? Unless he wants to live in London.

He knows that Wenger is as soft as putty and won't criticise him. He has a few medals already and will move into semi retirement.

Post #472164  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:20 am 

Bernard wrote:
True Blue Gunner Gooner wrote:
Arsenal will pay $56m for Lacazette
4 yr contract

You've got the symbol for dollars. Do you mean dollars, or euros or pounds? If it's £56m, that seems very expensive. But $56m seems moderately reasonable at approaching £44m. €56m, which is £49m, is obviously around mid-way between the other two prices.

According to Sky Sports it's £56m. So pounds sterling, not euros or US dollars.

EDIT: Elsewhere is says £48.7m, which is the euros option for the higher figure.

Post #472165  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:59 am 

socrates wrote:

As you say, I can't see it happening but Sanchez is 28, Aguero is 29. They may be thinking they'd cut him in a year or so anyway. Sanchez is 'fit as a butcher's dog' (haha...love that Brit saying I learned from you lot) as you all say, Aguero is a bit more injury prone.

Post #472166  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:00 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
socrates wrote:

He knows that Wenger is as soft as putty and won't criticise him. He has a few medals already and will move into semi retirement.
ZZZZ

Post #472167  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:32 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I like Giroud...for what he is. I think he gets slated for being something he never was. I think he maximized his skills with us. He was not a big name, he was one of Wenger's roll of a dice. Giroud got the fans ire initially for not being RvP. That's Wenger's fault. Giroud was never going to be able to replace or come anywhere close to being a replacement for RvP. He did the best he could with what God gave him. He was never known for his pace but gets slated for it. I think he turns difficult chances in to goals and as Sabir says as added headed goals to our 'arsenal' of threats. You get him the ball in the 6 yard box on the ground or air and he converts them at a more than decent rate. I would trust Giroud in the box more than any other Arsenal player save Sanchez.

I hope he stays BUT not at the expense of us not buying a top, top striker. We need adequate back up.The fact that Wenger has gone this long without buying a top striker is the real problem and a lot of fans are taking it out on Giroud unfairly.

T W A T

Post #472168  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
ZZZZ

You alright Hoy. Perhaps fell asleep at the keyboard and your nose hit the z button. Its a bugger getting old isn't it?

Post #472169  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:10 am 

Can’t say I’ve watched Lacazette play much, but he’s averaged 28 goals per season the last four years, and he just turned 26. I for one would be excited to see if he can take the next step at a bigger club in a better league. He’s certainly quick, which is a requirement for us. Giroud is a much better striker than Welbeck, but in my opinion we’re a better team with Welbeck playing up front simply because we need someone with that pace and movement.

Also, rumours from Spain that Mbappes family does not want him to join Real Madrid (yet, one would presume). Still a long shot obviously, but I like that we’re at least still in the race.

Post #472170  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:20 am 

socrates wrote:

It appears that Pep doesn't really want him, for whatever reason. If you look at possible buyers, there are not too many who would put him as first choice, while also being able to afford his wages. Chelsea are going for Lukaku, the big two in Spain are sorted as are Bayern. Juve would be very unlikely with Higuain there. Man Utd would be perfect but for the fact that it would be a City to Utd transfer.

I'd imagine getting a good season behind him as first choice striker is probably more important to him than a season of CL, given that it will be a World Cup year and he is by no means guaranteed a spot in the Argentina side.

I would be very happy if we got Aguero to replace Sanchez, but it is probably very unlikely as these swap deals rarely happen.

Post #472171  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:23 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Can’t say I’ve watched Lacazette play much, but he’s averaged 28 goals per season the last four years, and he just turned 26. I for one would be excited to see if he can take the next step at a bigger club in a better league. He’s certainly quick, which is a requirement for us. Giroud is a much better striker than Welbeck, but in my opinion we’re a better team with Welbeck playing up front simply because we need someone with that pace and movement.

Also, rumours from Spain that Mbappes family does not want him to join Real Madrid (yet, one would presume). Still a long shot obviously, but I like that we’re at least still in the race.

It's hard to see Mbappe not going to Madrid. If he turns them down now he might not get the chance again. A loan back to Monaco might be how it works out.

Post #472172  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:45 am 

dec wrote:
It's hard to see Mbappe not going to Madrid. If he turns them down now he might not get the chance again. A loan back to Monaco might be how it works out.

I think there's a chance he stays with Monaco as well.

Post #472173  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:49 am 

So in AG summary, I think Mbappe either joins us, joins Real Madrid, or stays at Monaco. There's also an outside chance that he joins another club.

Post #472174  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:56 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
ZZZZ

You alright Hoy. Perhaps fell asleep at the keyboard and your nose hit the z button. Its a bugger getting old isn't it?
The alternative is worse? Anyway, liven yourself up with your posts. Bit more variety. Im watching you! :icon_rabbit:

Post #472175  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:06 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
The alternative is worse? Anyway, liven yourself up with your posts. Bit more variety. Im watching you! :icon_rabbit:

I hear voices but I did not realise it was you.

Post #472176  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:17 pm 

Palace appoint Frank De Boer............................

Post #472177  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:29 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Palace appoint Frank De Boer............................
Well, Prince Philip is getting on a bit and Liz perhaps fancies a toy boy?

Post #472178  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:15 pm 

Question for the older forum members.

I can't get my head round this DUP deal the tories have done. Is there a historical precedence of doing something similar in the past?

I mean the financial element to it not a coalition

if the cuts are to be eased in Northern Ireland, what about other parts of the country? Why is the deal being talked about like it's a high profile football transfer

Post #472179  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I can't get my head round this DUP deal the tories have done. Is there a historical precedence of doing something similar in the past?

if the cuts are to be eased in Northern Ireland, what about other parts of the country? Why is the deal being talked about like it's a high profile football transfer
While there may not have been anything quite as openly stated as the current DUP deal, various UK governments since the Good Friday Agreement of 1998 have been ready to spend public money in Northern Ireland to keep things sweet. The spend of public money per capita figures for UK regions and countries for 2011/12-2015/16 were published in a House of Commons Briefing Note last November, and they show Northern Ireland consistently as the largest beneficiary. http://researchbriefings.files.parliame ... N04033.pdf

Ironically Theresa May's perilous political position has meant there is now a greater degree of transparency about what has been quietly going on for years.

Post #472180  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:56 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

While there may not have been anything quite as openly stated as the current DUP deal, various UK governments since the Good Friday Agreement of 1998 have been ready to spend public money in Northern Ireland to keep things sweet. The spend of public money per capita figures for UK regions and countries for 2011/12-2015/16 were published in a House of Commons Briefing Note last November, and they show Northern Ireland consistently as the largest beneficiary. http://researchbriefings.files.parliame ... N04033.pdf

Ironically Theresa May's perilous political position has meant there is now a greater degree of transparency about what has been quietly going on for years.

That's really interesting. I was just interested because I can't recall figures ever being bounded about before.

Based on that research you wonder why on earth most Scots would want independence.

Post #472181  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:21 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The investment in Northern Ireland was about more than keeping things sweet. As long as the Troubles were there, the economy was always going to suffer. It really was a basket case economy back in the 1980s with about 40% of the working population employed in the public sector. It is still high but at least Northern Ireland is now a proper functioning economy. If a hard border goes back up, it could be very damaging and the funding coming from London may increase substantially.

Post #472182  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:54 pm 

Lots of buzz about a bunch of French players this summer. Thomas Lemar of Monaco is popping up a lot on twitter now. Wasn't there someone on here who used to follow the French league?

Post #472183  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 pm 

This is supposedly our third kit for the season.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCx4H62XcAAdyLa.jpg:large

Post #472184  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:11 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Lots of buzz about a bunch of French players this summer. Thomas Lemar of Monaco is popping up a lot on twitter now. Wasn't there someone on here who used to follow the French league?

Cannon?

Post #472185  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:17 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

The sooner this Puma deal ends, the better.

Post #472186  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:20 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

Hasn't everyone had enough yet of these ludicrous kits? I mean if we wear that more than 3 times next season I'd be shocked. You'd have to be mental to even contemplate it

Post #472187  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:27 pm 

Never thought I'd say this about a black/pink Arsenal shirt...but I don't hate it. Granted everything looks good on Giroud, but to me it's a step up from many of the third kits we've seen recently. I mean, compare it to this:

Post #472188  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:28 pm 

Or that purple monstrosity from the 12/13 season.

Post #472189  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:32 pm 

On the topic of new kits, Liverpool's home jersey for next season is horrendous.left half of the jersey is a different shade of red to the right half. Dreadful.

Post #472190  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:35 pm 

dec wrote:
On the topic of new kits, Liverpool's home jersey for next season is horrendous.left half of the jersey is a different shade of red to the right half. Dreadful.

They are top of the league when it comes to horrendous third kits as well. Every year.

http://www.footballkitnews.com/wp-conte ... 3-2014.jpg

Post #472191  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:39 pm 

Half the problem is that the kits are now every 12 months so they aren't creating innovative new designs simply churning out new crud because they are running out of ideas.

The other problem we have at some point is that we will inevitably go down the route of having a sleeve sponsor like the other clubs are looking at and that will look *%^@ on our lovely white sleeves.

Post #472192  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:33 pm 

Apparently, Chris Willock is going to join Benfica's B team. Seems like a very strange move.

Post #472193  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:52 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
socrates wrote:

Nothing to do with me.

Sorry Soc it wasn't you it was your nemesis Kiwi :1laughter:

Guilty ....... okey dokey ...... but Christopher you said originally ...... " anyone ACCUSED should have their assets frozen " ...that includes a multitude of people . Electricians , builders , gas fitters , ceiling contractors etc etc

I haven't followed this case at all so I'm only thinking on the run here ..... so you say inferior cladding is to blame

Did the cladding start the fire ...?

I'd have thought the cladding is to protect the integrity of the steel stop it twisting out of shape and collapsing

To my way of thinking ; once a tower block full of cheap curtains , furnishings , carpets , bedding , clothes gets into full swing the finest cladding in the world is going to make little difference .

You might want to change this

........ " the robber runs into a crowded restaurant so let's open fire with a heavy machine gun and a couple of rocket propelled grenades ; happy you've got the guilty party " type approach . :laughing7:

Post #472194  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:09 pm 

:26encouragement: :9adore-boo: Doesn't matter one iota to the rest of the world but the Kiwis won the America's Cup .

I think it's because we are such a poxy little country we are going ape sh*t over this achievement . We don't tend to be aligned to just one sport but take in an interest in all things NZ .

Just the David and Goliath battle our paltry little 36 million dollar budget ...we had the smallest budget of everyone involved in the regatta , Oracle probably spent more on morning teas for their 130 strong contingent ....... it's the equivalent of Andorra winning the soccer world cup .

Ellison had Oracle people running around in the middle of the night tearing down NZ flags .......suck it up Larry .

Post #472195  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:27 am 

kiwipete wrote:
To my way of thinking ; once a tower block full of cheap curtains , furnishings , carpets , bedding , clothes gets into full swing the finest cladding in the world is going to make little difference .

The problem with your way of thinking is that it is complete bollocks as usual.

The fire spread up the side of the building very rapidly transmitted by the cladding. It wouldn't have "gone into full swing" without the cladding. By the time most of those poor souls knew what was going on there was no escape for them. This would not have been the same if it had been simply fire transmitting between flats inside the block which would have taken a long time and the fire brigade would have been able to extinguish before it got near the the top floors from the fourth where it started.

Cladding on tower blocks has been a known problem for decades. Devoted away fans - Hoy I'm sure - will remember the market at Upton Park station with the huge James Sinclair Point looming over it creating an even more intimidatory atmosphere for those off to see the Spammers. That had to be decanted and demolished in the early 1990s because a fire started and transmitted vertically. In this case it was actually concrete cladding but it formed a kind of chimney sending flames UP the side of the building and igniting the flat above. If in addition to the chimney effect you also have non fire resistant insulation material between aluminium sheeting you are effectively encasing the block in a giant vertical accelerant which is what happened at Grenfell.

You're welcome.

Post #472196  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The UK Govt is not paying more money in here to "keep things sweet." That's totally inaccurate.

TG, Irish nationalists held the "balance of power" back in 1885 where they supported Gladstone over the conservatives. This was used to advance the cause of Home Rule for Ireland (something like devolution today).

The deal is definitely grubby - 100 million a vote - but it would be churlish ofme not to welcome extra money for the region where infrastructure lags well behind the rest of the UK and Rep.Ireland. The majority of the money spent by the UK for a long time went on security issues and of course the Republic has benefited from its membership of the EU and the money diverted there.

Post #472197  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:50 am 

Daz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

The fire spread up the side of the building very rapidly transmitted by the cladding. It wouldn't have "gone into full swing" without the cladding. By the time most of those poor souls knew what was going on there was no escape for them. This would not have been the same if it had been simply fire transmitting between flats inside the block which would have taken a long time and the fire brigade would have been able to extinguish before it got near the the top floors from the fourth where it started.

Cladding on tower blocks has been a known problem for decades. Devoted away fans - Hoy I'm sure - will remember the market at Upton Park station with the huge James Sinclair Point looming over it creating an even more intimidatory atmosphere for those off to see the Spammers. That had to be decanted and demolished in the early 1990s because a fire started and transmitted vertically. In this case it was actually concrete cladding but it formed a kind of chimney sending flames UP the side of the building and igniting the flat above. If in addition to the chimney effect you also have non fire resistant insulation material between aluminium sheeting you are effectively encasing the block in a giant vertical accelerant which is what happened at Grenfell.

You're welcome.

Ooooh can't you be a hurtful little brute given the chance ......... but quite right after posting I had a beer with a neighbour who sells paint , fire retardant coatings etc ... he told me the same , quality cladding doesn't catch fire , was going to redress my mistake but thought I'd wait for Chris to reply

Post #472198  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:53 am 

dec wrote:
Apparently, Chris Willock is going to join Benfica's B team. Seems like a very strange move.

Particularly odd given how many good wingers and attacking midfielders Benfica have at that age group already. That said, it seems to be an issue with the family. His older brother Matthew jumped ship to Man U at 16, and his younger brother hasn't signed the pro contract he's been offered either. Given how Chris in particular has been bigged up by the manager, and how Europe League football should provide lots of opportunities for the kids, its seems very strange indeed. Worst of all, because he's going abroad, we get almost no compensation.

Post #472199  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:23 am 

kiwipete wrote:
I think it's because we are such a poxy little country we are going ape sh*t over this achievement...
Any country that produced Neil Finn, Richard Hadlee, Barry Briggs, Katherine Mansfield, John Waker and Peter Snell is alright by me.

Post #472200  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:36 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Daz wrote:

You're welcome.

Ooooh can't you be a hurtful little brute given the chance ......... but quite right after posting I had a beer with a neighbour who sells paint , fire retardant coatings etc ... he told me the same , quality cladding doesn't catch fire , was going to redress my mistake but thought I'd wait for Chris to reply

Chris wasn't going to bother to reply but has to say your description of freezing the assets of every Tom Dick and Harry as not being amusing. However I still feel the assets of those that put up the cladding who had a duty of care should be frozen. Not the suppliers unless it can be shown they that they stated it was suitable for cladding Tower blocks.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11802, 11803, 11804, 11805, 11806, 11807, 11808 ... 14269  Next