Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 101 guests

Post #471761  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:00 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Didn't Ospina make important saves in the final? So long ago now I've forgotten...

He did make important saves and we won so it vindicated Wenger's decision to stick with him. And loyalty is a great quality overall. My point is though we started the game weaker and sometimes this loyalty can be to our detriment. If you go back there have been examples where Wenger has no doubt stuck with players in big games because of his policy to play certain players and we've lost important games due to squad players being chosen ahead of our first choice. Several times we threw away top spot in Champions league by fielding youngsters in the penultimate group stage games only for the regulars coming back in the final game to try and salvage top spot. There was also the final against Chavski in 2007 and that embarrassment against Tottenham in the league cup. And when you look at the list of some of those players who were given a chance, many didn't even make it, yet we more or less sacrificed the cup a couple of times so that they could play.

Post #471762  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:22 pm 

AshleyGeorge wrote:
Fifa investigate transfers from time to time where illegality or breach of their own rules is suspected. I'd investigate the hell out of this one. You're falling into the opposite error that you're saying lomekian is, don't you think Bernard??

If they want to investigate it, fine. Whether they will is, I suppose, dependent on whether they suspect any wrongdoing has been done, or is significant.

Post #471763  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Didn't Ospina make important saves in the final? So long ago now I've forgotten...

Ospina's time-wasting was pretty effective but I doubt Čech would have let Chelsea's goal in.
You don't recall Ospina's four excellent saves from Costa twice, Kante and Moses, but do the deflected goal he let in! That is the lot of the keeper I guess.

Post #471764  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:15 pm 

Sabir wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

He did make important saves and we won so it vindicated Wenger's decision to stick with him. And loyalty is a great quality overall. My point is though we started the game weaker and sometimes this loyalty can be to our detriment.

Thinking back though, were any of Ospina's saves in the final those you wouldn't have expected him to have kept out? I'm just trying to be fair. How many saves did he have to make, and were any of those he did keep out those where you wouldn't have expected him to save? That's why I mentioned his time-wasting, which was top notch.

Post #471765  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:16 pm 

Sabir wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

He did make important saves and we won so it vindicated Wenger's decision to stick with him. And loyalty is a great quality overall. My point is though we started the game weaker and sometimes this loyalty can be to our detriment. If you go back there have been examples where Wenger has no doubt stuck with players in big games because of his policy to play certain players and we've lost important games due to squad players being chosen ahead of our first choice. Several times we threw away top spot in Champions league by fielding youngsters in the penultimate group stage games only for the regulars coming back in the final game to try and salvage top spot. There was also the final against Chavski in 2007 and that embarrassment against Tottenham in the league cup. And when you look at the list of some of those players who were given a chance, many didn't even make it, yet we more or less sacrificed the cup a couple of times so that they could play.
Yes it happens, but every manager has to address the issue of keeping all the players in a squad match fit and motivated?

Post #471766  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:20 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
You don't recall Ospina's four excellent saves from Costa twice, Kante and Moses, but do the deflected goal he let in! That is the lot of the keeper I guess.

Do you really think any of those he kept out were really beyond the kind of shots any good keeper should have kept out? You use the word excellent. I think they were shots you would expect your keeper to save, much like the one he let in.

Post #471767  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Sabir wrote:
He did make important saves and we won so it vindicated Wenger's decision to stick with him. And loyalty is a great quality overall. My point is though we started the game weaker and sometimes this loyalty can be to our detriment.

Thinking back though, were any of Ospina's saves in the final those you wouldn't have expected him to have kept out? I'm just trying to be fair. How many saves did he have to make, and were any of those he did keep out those where you wouldn't have expected him to save? That's why I mentioned his time-wasting, which was top notch.
Of the four I mentioned I would say he did brilliantly to cut down Costa's space and stop his powerful first-half hit at a crucial stage of Chelsea pressure. Then in their dominant post-break period he made Kante's deflected shot look routine and also parried Moses drive very well. The other save from Costa at reasonably close range was all about his agility. OK you might say he was doing his job, but I think you rather damn him with faint praise by talking about his time wasting. I do prefer Čech in goal but in that final Ospina was no weak link at all.

Post #471768  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Do you really think any of those he kept out were really beyond the kind of shots any good keeper should have kept out? You use the word excellent. I think they were shots you would expect your keeper to save, much like the one he let in.
Let us disagree!

Post #471769  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
lomekian wrote:
As for the game Goetze was pretty quiet. Lewandowski gave one of the best centre-forward performances I've ever seen and Reus was excellent too.

I don't see "pretty quiet" being the same as stinking the game out. I still say Bayern would have preferred to play Dortmund instead of Real Madrid in the final, so I write off your accusation that they did it to undermine Dortmund's chances against Real as extremely far-fetched, to say the least.

At that point, Dortmund had a bloody good record against Bayern...and of course Bayern wanted to (and did) buy Dortmund's best players (bar Reus). It also possible that rather than to unsettle the team they may have just done it to urinate on the parade of a rival getting more media love...their intention isn't as important as the fact they did it...which cannot said to be entirely coincidental.

Post #471770  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:37 am 

Bernard wrote:
lomekian wrote:
Previous agreement with the player, rather than the club is what I'm implying - others have implied that Bremen may have had the transfer funded by Bayern, but that would be very very damaging if they were caught out, so I don't see it as implausible. Here Bayern have circumnavigated the rules using a loophole where any illegality is impossible to prove, but it is clearly in dodgy territory. If Wenger knew (as he certainly suggested) Bayern were involved in the initial transfer, as many others speculated, then technically he'd be within his rights to report them, but getting into a legal battle with Bayern would be very dangerous, and wouldn't have been worth it in this case.

There is no doubt that Bayern have at best exploited a loophole to reduce their own risk and to do Arsenal out of some money, but its impossible to prove categorically that they broke the law in doing so unless they were very naive, which I don't believe they are.

I always find that when there are unproven rumours supporting what you want to think happened you seem more than willing to accept them. But if unproven rumours contradict what you want to think happened you seem far more willing to question their reliability. Perhaps Wenger didn't know exactly what happened, whatever he chooses to suggest. Who knows how reliable the speculation of others is, as well?

To be honest, I think you're making too much fuss over very little. The money it cost Arsenal was pretty minimal considering the finances of the upper levels in modern football. Also, as I've heard rumours that Arsenal would much prefer to sell Sanchez to Bayern than a domestic rival (a rumour, but a highly logical one), even if there's truth in your accusations perhaps it hasn't annoyed Arsenal enough to make them unwilling to do business with them?

Ah yes...there it is...accusing me of a failing and then doing exactly the same yourself without any sense of irony. :1laughter: :53big-emoticons:

Also my 'unproven rumours' are not that. Gnabry HAS joined Bayern. He has joined them for a fee far below market value. Using a clause that only they could activate. A year after Wenger implied and a number of journalists and unofficial sources said that this was exactly what was going to happen. On the DC site, we wrote that this is what we thought would happen based on the evidence. And it has happened.

Your rumour evidence actually has no outcome to support it in any way, bar Bayern telling anyone who will listen that they want the player, and others concluding that we'd rather sell to them. Sanchez is currently an Arsenal player, is he not?
And frankly, it is also meaningless evidence, because, of course, if they have to sell the player they'd rather sell him to anyone bar a domestic rival if the fee is right. That much is obvious. And there is no way the club would be unwilling to deal with someone they were unhappy with if it is in their best interests. We still sold Alex Song to Barca after they used every dirty trick in the book to get Fabregas and before him tapping up Hleb (so his form plummeted just when we needed him) and before that Petit and Overmars.

What you have said in your post above isn't evidence of anything. In fact it is meaningless.

But god forbid anyone criticise Bayern.

Post #471771  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
AshleyGeorge wrote:
Fifa investigate transfers from time to time where illegality or breach of their own rules is suspected. I'd investigate the hell out of this one. You're falling into the opposite error that you're saying lomekian is, don't you think Bernard??

If they want to investigate it, fine. Whether they will is, I suppose, dependent on whether they suspect any wrongdoing has been done, or is significant.

Or who the parties in question are! Fifa as we know, have different rules for every team, hence Athletico Madrid having a transfer ban upheld for far less than Barca or Madrid got theirs postponed until they could conclude all their business for. Also, I doubt Bayern have done anything illegal bar a variation of tapping up that all the biggest teams do, as what I believe they have done with Bremen and the player is not technically illegal, just against accepted practice. It would be much more likely that a slight tweak to the rules comes into force next year.

Post #471772  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:45 am 

On the subject of Ospina, he makes good saves look simpler due to his speed off his line and his agility, but he also has some fundamental flaws which means he lets in goals that better keepers wouldn't. Ultimately I think the one at costa's feet Čech might not have made, as thats no longer a strength of his, but our number 1 probably would have saved the goal. Ultimately Ospina is a slightly better Almunia in terms of level. Not as bad as people think, but not at the level of an Arsenal keeper. We've had Kelsey, Wilson, Jennings, Seaman and Lehmann (and now Čech). Ospina isn't as good as Chesney or peak Lukic, but is better than others we've had for a year or two in between or great keepers.

Post #471773  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:41 am 

lomekian wrote:
On the subject of Ospina, he makes good saves look simpler due to his speed off his line and his agility, but he also has some fundamental flaws which means he lets in goals that better keepers wouldn't. Ultimately I think the one at costa's feet Čech might not have made, as thats no longer a strength of his, but our number 1 probably would have saved the goal. Ultimately Ospina is a slightly better Almunia in terms of level. Not as bad as people think, but not at the level of an Arsenal keeper. We've had Kelsey, Wilson, Jennings, Seaman and Lehmann (and now Čech). Ospina isn't as good as Chesney or peak Lukic, but is better than others we've had for a year or two in between or great keepers.

Hi Lom,

Ospina is a brilliant shotstopper with great reactions, speed and bravery but he's on the short side for a PL keeper and does not fill the goal in the way that Čech does or have the presence. He is also far weaker on crosses and punching which unfortunately are not the weaknesses to have in the PL.

That said, he is ideally suited to the Spanish or Italian leagues where his weaknesses are less of an issue and a keeper of his calibre should be fetching a fee of £8-10m.

If the rumours of a fee of £3m are true then its ridiculous, we might as well gift wrap him with a pretty little bow.

Post #471774  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:04 am 

lomekian wrote:
Ah yes...there it is...accusing me of a failing and then doing exactly the same yourself without any sense of irony. :1laughter: :53big-emoticons:

Also my 'unproven rumours' are not that. Gnabry HAS joined Bayern. He has joined them for a fee far below market value. Using a clause that only they could activate. A year after Wenger implied and a number of journalists and unofficial sources said that this was exactly what was going to happen. On the DC site, we wrote that this is what we thought would happen based on the evidence. And it has happened.

Your rumour evidence actually has no outcome to support it in any way, bar Bayern telling anyone who will listen that they want the player, and others concluding that we'd rather sell to them. Sanchez is currently an Arsenal player, is he not?
And frankly, it is also meaningless evidence, because, of course, if they have to sell the player they'd rather sell him to anyone bar a domestic rival if the fee is right. That much is obvious. And there is no way the club would be unwilling to deal with someone they were unhappy with if it is in their best interests. We still sold Alex Song to Barca after they used every dirty trick in the book to get Fabregas and before him tapping up Hleb (so his form plummeted just when we needed him) and before that Petit and Overmars.

What you have said in your post above isn't evidence of anything. In fact it is meaningless.

I genuinely try to not make out that unproven rumours are anything other than that. I suspect I make far more of an attempt in that respect than you, considering the level of times you strike me as doing it - apart from when they contradict what you have chosen to believe.

You appear to be suggesting that my idea based on rumours I've heard that Arsenal would rather sell to Bayern than a domestic rival is meaningless because he's still an Arsenal player, but then you go on to say they would despite the Gnabry issue because it would be in their best issues. Why not play it both ways? Oh sorry, you already are. I thought I said clearly that I've heard Arsenal would rather sell to Bayern than another English club, but it was only hearsay (or whatever words I used to make that point because it wasn't hearsay). I stand by it, and it appears logical, as you yourself now seem to think it's probably true. If you want to see an example of irony, try looking at your own posts on this. After all the fuss you've made about Bayern, you now seem to be saying that they bent rather than broke the rules. That's why I've said you were or are making too much of something fairly minor. If it happened it doesn't matter that much. as Gnabry presumably wanted to get away and you reckon it cost Arsenal a million quid, or was it Euros? Big deal. I simply don't think it deserved the reaction it got from you about Bayern. I won't call your reaction hysterical, just way over the top.

Post #471775  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:17 am 

lomekian wrote:
At that point, Dortmund had a bloody good record against Bayern...and of course Bayern wanted to (and did) buy Dortmund's best players (bar Reus). It also possible that rather than to unsettle the team they may have just done it to urinate on the parade of a rival getting more media love...their intention isn't as important as the fact they did it...which cannot said to be entirely coincidental.

Perhaps you shouldn't have tried to claim it was to damage Dortmund's chances against Real Madrid then, which is what you did say. Whatever Dortmund's record at the time against Bayern was, and that season Dortmund hadn't beaten Bayern in the Bundesliga, I still cannot accept Bayern did it to increase their chances of facing Real Madrid in the final.

Post #471776  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:32 am 

I was away for some holidays so did not look at the internet. Thanks to OMOH and Lom for that wonderful feedback regarding 'top top players incoming'. Lost the impetus to bother arguing it now because obviously I am correct in my views.

OMOH I agree with your views on Ospina in the Cup final. Čech made more than a few mistakes this year and to me looks like he his age is catching up as he is just that split second slower at reaction time. I back Wenger on Ospina in the cup final. He was obviously promised the cup games. It is not Ospinas fault the EPL challenge faded and it should not be presumed that Čech should fill in for the final.

I went to Melbourne to watch Brazil v Argentina. I was impressed by Messi as he just glides around the field.

Good luck to you Brits with negotiating a good deal in the Britexit after the election result. Do pollies not get it that going to the polls early to satisfy their personal ego does not go down well with the electors?

OH before I go what has Wenger done about signing those top top players. Have we had anyone confirm that we bid 150mil for Mbappe or was just that a dream. In case you are wondering WENGER OUT.

Post #471777  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:30 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Lost the impetus to bother arguing it now because obviously I am correct in my views.

Never knew Theresa May posted on here.

Post #471778  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:50 am 

Exiled wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Lost the impetus to bother arguing it now because obviously I am correct in my views.

Never knew Theresa May posted on here.

We know everything you say and think. There is no privacy. welcome to the way most pollies would like it.

Post #471779  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:51 am 

If anyone's not watching the new season of house of cards I recommend it. Spacey is excellent as usual but it seems to be raising the point i said on here the other day which is that we are getting the governments in which we deserve. Moan about trump, the tories, climate change denial etc but we choose these people and give them power. Spacey raises this in an excellent monologue.

Worth a watch

Post #471780  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:33 am 

Kylian Mbappe seemingly rules out Arsenal move after claiming winning the Champions League is an 'obsession'

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arsenal-transfer-news-kylian-mbappe-rules-out-move-champions-league-obsession-a7785566.html

Post #471781  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:52 am 

I know we may end up 5th or worse next season but as a football fan I'm anxiously anticipating the upcoming season. It may be the most competitive I've ever seen since I started watching the league. I've never seen more than 3 clubs who could win the title. Back in '99/'00 Man Utd, Arsenal and Leeds. '02, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool. Since Roman and City arrived it was either of those two or Man Utd. Yeah, us and Liverpool flattered a few times but generally it was no more than 3 clubs.

This season. Chelsea, Tottenaham, City for sure, Liverpool, Man Utd could challenge. We round that out. Week to week all the clubs will have to keep pace. Any prolonged slump and you are out. Mourinho will spend big this summer. No doubt about that. The real questions are going to be us and Liverpool. The others have a squad that doesn't need much tinkering. Klopp has to come good. I got a feeling if he doesn't start looking like he can win things the Anfield faithful will start asking questions.

Post #471782  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:10 pm 

What a wind up that was on Arsenal Twitter earlier, said Arsenal were signing Cent Turan from Beksitas, even quoted Sky Sports news and John Cross, now been removed!

Post #471783  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:15 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
If anyone's not watching the new season of house of cards I recommend it. Spacey is excellent as usual but it seems to be raising the point i said on here the other day which is that we are getting the governments in which we deserve. Moan about trump, the tories, climate change denial etc but we choose these people and give them power. Spacey raises this in an excellent monologue.

Worth a watch

Superb series. I thought it was how one would imagine a Trump Presidency. So many dodgy dealing going on in background, is this too far from the truth?

Post #471784  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:19 pm 

Just read Liverpool supposedly have provided up to 200 million pounds for Klopp to spend.

Post #471785  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:44 pm 

How good was Aaron Ramsey last night?

Best player on the pitch, and the Serbs have some good ones.

Post #471786  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:21 pm 

Northbank Memories wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Worth a watch

Superb series. I thought it was how one would imagine a Trump Presidency. So many dodgy dealing going on in background, is this too far from the truth?

The problem with the show Steve is that it was initially pre trump so now trump has been elected he has effectively robbed the writers of all their potential storylines as our current reality is far more ridiculous than the corruption showed in the first few series of the show :laughing7:

Post #471787  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:34 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Daz wrote:

Totally disagree. We have some really good politicians, many of whom I am delighted to see back in parliament from both sides who do excellent work on behalf of their constituents sometimes in really difficult circumstances and for comparatively little financial reward.

Bollocks. They work for getting reelected and perpetuating their own view of the world. Evidenced by most opposition objecting merely because the other side thought of it rather than it being the good of the country.

Just having a wee browse through the last few days , as I don't come on here these days ( or many football sites) but I thought I'd see the election feedback out of curiosity

"Bollocks" your right your talking it , like everything there are some politicians who are out for themselves and many others who put in many selfless hours in return for a salary that is far less than many would make elsewhere , unfortunately the bar room cynic crap gets banded around by uninformed people

My local mp peter Kyle just increased his majority from 1200 to 18000, in an area such as hove , why do you think it went up that much ? ( hove hadn't had a Labour mp until, 1997) , he did it through being a hardworking sincere local mp ( and I predict in 5-10 years will be a national figure, maybe even leader) , I know this is true because I've spoken to him regularly and he has answered e mails to my wife on an issue she had with a detailed replies within half a day . Next door in Brighton caroline Lucas increased her majority as the greens only mp, she is a national figure, so unless your in denial you you will already know that she is far from being a careerist. That's two round here , there are many others , equally there are many other crap ones too.

I don't know maybe you have a bad local mp yourself which gives you that view

Post #471788  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
lomekian wrote:

I genuinely try to not make out that unproven rumours are anything other than that. I suspect I make far more of an attempt in that respect than you, considering the level of times you strike me as doing it - apart from when they contradict what you have chosen to believe.

You appear to be suggesting that my idea based on rumours I've heard that Arsenal would rather sell to Bayern than a domestic rival is meaningless because he's still an Arsenal player, but then you go on to say they would despite the Gnabry issue because it would be in their best issues. Why not play it both ways? Oh sorry, you already are. I thought I said clearly that I've heard Arsenal would rather sell to Bayern than another English club, but it was only hearsay (or whatever words I used to make that point because it wasn't hearsay). I stand by it, and it appears logical, as you yourself now seem to think it's probably true. If you want to see an example of irony, try looking at your own posts on this. After all the fuss you've made about Bayern, you now seem to be saying that they bent rather than broke the rules. That's why I've said you were or are making too much of something fairly minor. If it happened it doesn't matter that much. as Gnabry presumably wanted to get away and you reckon it cost Arsenal a million quid, or was it Euros? Big deal. I simply don't think it deserved the reaction it got from you about Bayern. I won't call your reaction hysterical, just way over the top.

The sell on Arsenal got from David Bentley was £8m. Gnabry last year was better than Bentley ever was. By circumnavigating both a larger initial fee and any sell on clause, it has undoubtedly cost the club a significant amount of money. Further newspaper reports today state that Bayern themselves managed to secure a lower release clause for the player from Bremen at the time Bremen bought him. Did they make a payment to Bremen for the option. It actually makes the situation look dodgier than I first thought.

As for the rest, your capacity to be a spectacular pedant for the last 18 years I've been on here whilst refusing to accept being pulled up when being careless yourself comes as no surprise. No matter how much you suggest I am playing it both ways, I don't see why being annoyed with someone (which you can question but Wenger made it pretty clear) is inconsistent with still being willing to do business with them if it is more in your own interests than other available alternatives.

What I was saying, as you well know, is that you were dismissing what I said as unproven rumours (despite the fact that the only facts we have at least partly support what I was saying - with more coming out daily), before two sentences later using a self identified rumour as proof for me being incorrect and having no factual basis for my assertion.

I know attrition is your primary debating tactic, as is pretending to not insult me while insulting me (again), but your argument on this one subject is weak, contradictory and when breaking it down says nothing bar that you think I'm wrong because you don't like what i;m saying (while simultaneously saying that me being right is unimportant).

And then you tell me that I am playing it both ways. As I said before, however often I may stumble into accidental irony, I am no match for you. But then, after almost two decades I'm genuinely not sure if your postings are just an incredible commitment to parody.

Post #471789  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Worth a watch

Still not seen any. As good as the BBC original (I know the first season is a straight plot lift)?

Post #471790  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:57 pm 

john1 wrote:
How good was Aaron Ramsey last night?

Best player on the pitch, and the Serbs have some good ones.

Its true. When he finds his form, he's a fine footballer. And another who needs a new contract sharpish.

Post #471791  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:58 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Northbank Memories wrote:

The problem with the show Steve is that it was initially pre trump so now trump has been elected he has effectively robbed the writers of all their potential storylines as our current reality is far more ridiculous than the corruption showed in the first few series of the show :laughing7:

Yeah..some mates want me to be part of a series about Brexit negotiations, but the utter Tory cock-up of the last few weeks culminating with TM and the DUP is leading to almost daily re-writes!

Post #471792  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:01 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Bollocks. They work for getting reelected and perpetuating their own view of the world. Evidenced by most opposition objecting merely because the other side thought of it rather than it being the good of the country.

Just having a wee browse through the last few days , as I don't come on here these days ( or many football sites) but I thought I'd see the election feedback out of curiosity

"Bollocks" your right your talking it , like everything there are some politicians who are out for themselves and many others who put in many selfless hours in return for a salary that is far less than many would make elsewhere , unfortunately the bar room cynic crap gets banded around by uninformed people

My local mp peter Kyle just increased his majority from 1200 to 18000, in an area such as hove , why do you think it went up that much ? ( hove hadn't had a Labour mp until, 1997) , he did it through being a hardworking sincere local mp ( and I predict in 5-10 years will be a national figure, maybe even leader) , I know this is true because I've spoken to him regularly and he has answered e mails to my wife on an issue she had with a detailed replies within half a day . Next door in Brighton caroline Lucas increased her majority as the greens only mp, she is a national figure, so unless your in denial you you will already know that she is far from being a careerist. That's two round here , there are many others , equally there are many other crap ones too.

I don't know maybe you have a bad local mp yourself which gives you that view

Totally agree. The only reason Corbyn is still about is because he was a very very good local MP for a long time. Sadly most of the good ones round my way have retired and their replacements are not at the same level locally or more broadly.

Post #471793  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:09 pm 

Amidst the transfer speculation ..... considering his lack of input why aren't there moves afoot to offload Walcott , :blob8: and why is no - one interested in buying him .

Post #471794  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:13 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Yeah..some mates want me to be part of a series about Brexit negotiations

Take Bernard along , you two seem to sing from the same hymn sheet .

Post #471795  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:36 pm 

Robert Halfon, of Harlow, the one Tory minister who saw the Corbyn bounce coming, has been sacked, presumably for his record of actually giving a monkey's about poor people...

Post #471796  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:44 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
lomekian wrote:
Yeah..some mates want me to be part of a series about Brexit negotiations

Take Bernard along , you two seem to sing from the same hymn sheet .

:53big-emoticons:

Post #471797  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:51 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Amidst the transfer speculation ..... considering his lack of input why aren't there moves afoot to offload Walcott , :blob8: and why is no - one interested in buying him .

You know yourself you get up close to roadkill and it has a smell about it. Same with manure. Theo has the whiff.

Post #471798  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:34 pm 

Arsenal get tough with Alexis Sanchez and deliver brutal transfer ultimatum

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/12/arsenal-get-tough-with-alexis-sanchez-and-deliver-brutal-transfer-ultimatum-6704415/

Post #471799  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 pm 

warrior wrote:

Too bad we didn't apply that rule to RVP. It all sounds good but really you could get around it by Man City finding a friendly German club - lets call them Schalke and get them to buy Alexis for a large amount of money.

Then say a day later sell them on to someone for 10% more - lets call that club Man City. Of course that takes trust between all the parties and lets be honest most of these clubs cannot be trusted. You might say that Arsenal can put in a clause that says the person cannot be sold on to a english club. However I think such a clause would be invalid as it is restraint of trade.

Its not like it hasn't happened before. I am pretty sure Clive Allen never played a game for us. All Mr Smiley games to play but wouldn't you love to be doing this type of work and playing with peoples minds. I would.

Post #471800  Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:11 am 

lomekian wrote:
The sell on Arsenal got from David Bentley was £8m. Gnabry last year was better than Bentley ever was. By circumnavigating both a larger initial fee and any sell on clause, it has undoubtedly cost the club a significant amount of money. Further newspaper reports today state that Bayern themselves managed to secure a lower release clause for the player from Bremen at the time Bremen bought him. Did they make a payment to Bremen for the option. It actually makes the situation look dodgier than I first thought.

As for the rest, your capacity to be a spectacular pedant for the last 18 years I've been on here whilst refusing to accept being pulled up when being careless yourself comes as no surprise. No matter how much you suggest I am playing it both ways, I don't see why being annoyed with someone (which you can question but Wenger made it pretty clear) is inconsistent with still being willing to do business with them if it is more in your own interests than other available alternatives.

What I was saying, as you well know, is that you were dismissing what I said as unproven rumours (despite the fact that the only facts we have at least partly support what I was saying - with more coming out daily), before two sentences later using a self identified rumour as proof for me being incorrect and having no factual basis for my assertion.

I know attrition is your primary debating tactic, as is pretending to not insult me while insulting me (again), but your argument on this one subject is weak, contradictory and when breaking it down says nothing bar that you think I'm wrong because you don't like what i;m saying (while simultaneously saying that me being right is unimportant).

And then you tell me that I am playing it both ways. As I said before, however often I may stumble into accidental irony, I am no match for you. But then, after almost two decades I'm genuinely not sure if your postings are just an incredible commitment to parody.

I'd say David Bentley had more pure talent than Gnabry. Had his attitude matched his ability on the ball, Bentley could have been one hell of a player. Gnabry has potential, albeit I remain to be convinced his potential could definitely be considered higher than Bentley's. I'd also say at this point Ospina is a better goalkeeper than Gnabry is a winger. According to reports, Arsenal are releasing Ospina for a lower fee than they got for Gnabry. So I'm not sure using other players reported transfer fees is always the most reliable way to judge what Arsenal should have got for Gnabry, because of the Ospina example. Gnabry was an unproven youngster when he left Arsenal. He made a bit of a name for himself at Bremen, but the lack of opportunities Wenger gave him at Arsenal might suggest he wasn't totally convinced by him. Had he stayed at Arsenal last season, would Wenger have given Gnabry the chances that he got at Bremen? Can't prove it but personally I doubt it. Hence I find it hard to get as angry about the price Arsenal got as you appear to.

Whose style do you think I'm trying to imitate, regarding your parody comment? Furthermore, I wasn't meaning to offer the rumour that Arsenal would prefer to sell Sanchez to Bayern than an English rival as firm evidence. It is, after all, only a rumour. But I do try to recognise when evidence is based on rumour. Maybe I fail in that respect occasionally, but it is an attempt I make by routinely adding qualifications to a point I'm making. Do you honestly think you always do? If I'm wrong, I apologise but from reading your posts I get an impression that you are prone to dismiss rumours that contradict the point you want to make, but are more prone to accept rumours that support whatever you're suggesting. As I say, if that's not fair I'm sorry. But it is an impression I get.

I'd hesitate before claiming my main debating style is attrition. I sometimes wonder if I could learn a thing or two about attrition from you these days. One other very important point. What have you taken as an insult by me towards you? I was saddened to see you claim I was insulting you, and if you really think I was then you misunderstood what I said. I actually enjoy reading many of your posts, even when I don't agree with them. However, as I've said I think you've overreacted over Bayern's role in this Gnabry issue, and have said some extremely unfair things about them as a club. I simply don't perceive it as an important an issue as you appear to, and have said so. Is that really what you consider an insult?

I do realise you presumably hate Bayern, but I'm really not sure why? Babu hated them, but admitted it was because he was jealous of them. I'm less certain what your reason is because although I'm a lifelong Arsenal fan, I genuinely believe Bayern Munich are the world's greatest football club. Therefore when you slag them off, and I consider it unfairly, you're very likely to get a reaction from me. Is that why you decided to on this occasion because, as I've said a few times, I think you're making a fuss over very little? I can certainly see why supporters of other German clubs might hate Bayern. I hate Manchester United for similar reasons. But you don't support a rival German club. So why do you hate Bayern so much? You certainly moan about them more than you do Manchester United, who I'd say over the years have done far more harm to Arsenal, the club we both support, than Bayern. What have Bayern done? Knocked us out the Champions League a few times and possibly got Gnabry for around a million quid, or was it euros, less than might otherwise have been the case. Big deal.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11792, 11793, 11794, 11795, 11796, 11797, 11798 ... 14269  Next