Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 92 guests

Post #468641  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:25 pm 

Northbank Memories wrote:
Darren wrote:
Cancer is terrifying, war is terrifying, Arsene Wenger signing on for another couple of years is disappointing. No more than that really.

Hi Darren. I do get slightly miffed at this way of seeing things. I'm sure Bernard knows that, but he is purely talking football. Too many people take things out of context. Things are not interdependent on each other.

It's like if you have an issue in football that somehow, you haven't got a life. You need to get a life. I get the hump at times with football, but then like you it has been a large part of my life and to be honest if you cant get a little upset with football and your team, I wonder if people ever really are a true supporter.

It's like if Arsenal are doing well, but other things in your life are going bad, does one affect the other? For me many things in my life do not impact on the other. I can watch Arsenal lose, have a moan and still be fine with the rest of what's going on in my life. In fact watching Arsenal lose to day is almost funny, like back in the mid-70's

I do get it mate, it was slightly tongue in cheek. But I do think we sometimes allow football to spill over into something bigger than it is. We all get pissed off, I'm at the end of my tether with Arsenal at the moment but it's a big part of my life which in reality means very little in the bigger picture.

Bernard, I was joking with the Tottenham thing. Wasn't meant as any more than a joke,

Post #468642  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:39 pm 

How many people either don't care or want Arsenal to lose on Sunday? (no judging...promise :icon_mrgreen: )

Post #468643  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:43 pm 

Tottenham tickets arrived this morning, bringing with them a new wave of depression at the current disparity between the two teams. I’m pretty sure we’ll get spanked but I’ve had some great times at that ground down the years so I’ll be there to pay my respects to a fine old venue as much as to see the game. I used to go there a lot, particularly in the ‘60s with a neighbour who supported them. I saw some amazing games there at a time when we were a pretty dour outfit. Whatever your allegiance, Jimmy Greaves in his pomp was something to behold.

And I still have – somewhere – a little plastic bag of dust that was once WHL grass dating from 3rd May 1971; that’s still the only time I’ve ever ‘invaded’ a pitch, albeit after the game had finished and with 10,000 others. We won it there again in 2004 but no chance of any incursions that day, indeed we were marched away around the back of the ground under heavy police guard after the match; mercifully, the locals had all slunk away by then.

I’ve no real idea what sort of reception to expect. Sol’s return in 2001 was by a distance the most intimidating and toxic atmosphere I’ve ever experienced at a sporting venue but it’s always been a one of the most threatening grounds to visit. I’ve come out into Park Lane to a hail of bottles with the Police nowhere to be seen. I’ve walked through the seriously hostile crowds in the High Street on the way back to Seven Sisters, often trying to hide a smile because, lest we forget, we’ve had some stunning victories down there over the years. No wonder they hate us! Maybe there'll be pity instead of intimidation this time. Maybe they'll patronise us like we have them for the last 20 years. Sneers or snarls - not sure which is worse.

Not so many wins in recent years though and you’d need to be a supreme optimist to expect anything this time; I’m afraid I’m anything but.

Post #468644  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:06 pm 

DHD wrote:
Tottenham tickets arrived this morning, bringing with them a new wave of depression at the current disparity between the two teams. I’m pretty sure we’ll get spanked but I’ve had some great times at that ground down the years so I’ll be there to pay my respects to a fine old venue as much as to see the game. I used to go there a lot, particularly in the ‘60s with a neighbour who supported them. I saw some amazing games there at a time when we were a pretty dour outfit. Whatever your allegiance, Jimmy Greaves in his pomp was something to behold.

And I still have – somewhere – a little plastic bag of dust that was once WHL grass dating from 3rd May 1971; that’s still the only time I’ve ever ‘invaded’ a pitch, albeit after the game had finished and with 10,000 others. We won it there again in 2004 but no chance of any incursions that day, indeed we were marched away around the back of the ground under heavy police guard after the match; mercifully, the locals had all slunk away by then.

I’ve no real idea what sort of reception to expect. Sol’s return in 2001 was by a distance the most intimidating and toxic atmosphere I’ve ever experienced at a sporting venue but it’s always been a one of the most threatening grounds to visit. I’ve come out into Park Lane to a hail of bottles with the Police nowhere to be seen. I’ve walked through the seriously hostile crowds in the High Street on the way back to Seven Sisters, often trying to hide a smile because, lest we forget, we’ve had some stunning victories down there over the years. No wonder they hate us! Maybe there'll be pity instead of intimidation this time. Maybe they'll patronise us like we have them for the last 20 years. Sneers or snarls - not sure which is worse.

Not so many wins in recent years though and you’d need to be a supreme optimist to expect anything this time; I’m afraid I’m anything but.
Where there's life there's hope, eh? An upset would be very sweet. Enjoy!

Post #468645  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:16 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Where there's life there's hope, eh? An upset would be very sweet. Enjoy!

Doubt springs eternal I'm afraid, Decaf.

Post #468646  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:06 pm 

Looking forward to the Old Lady versus The Best Club in the World tonight, Bernard?

I agree with you on the outrageous fraud of the Bayern game btw (even though I like Madrid).

Those red cards don't just cheat teams, they cheat us the spectators. Why the ref can't check quickly upstairs as they do in rugby only increases my suspicions of the whole process.

Post #468647  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:44 pm 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
an older voter was vociferous in his opposition to the Liberal Party: 'Never trust those bastards!' He was right. I never have.

*Lies back and imagines a mild-mannered threesome with Tony Benn and Arsene Wenger.*
Dennis Healey and Ian Mikardo actually. That was when Labour really did have some great players.

Post #468648  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
How many people either don't care or want Arsenal to lose on Sunday? (no judging...promise :icon_mrgreen: )
I care and want Arsenal to win. But honestly, I am not a bad person.

Post #468649  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:47 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:

*Lies back and imagines a mild-mannered threesome with Tony Benn and Arsene Wenger.*
Dennis Healey and Ian Mikardo actually. That was when Labour really did have some great players.

You obviously have a thing for eyebrows.

Post #468650  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:51 pm 

Daz wrote:
Looking forward to the Old Lady versus The Best Club in the World tonight, Bernard?

No, as I'll be watching Masterchef. I hope Juventus win though.

Post #468651  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:06 pm 

Juve starting away at Barca with higuain, mandzukic, dybala and cuadrado in attacking positions. 2 of those are out and out strikers, dybala isn't a midfielder and cuadrado plays as a very attacking and advanced wide man or no.10. You can bet anything you like that Allegri will have all 4 of them totally clear in what they need to give defensively. I often see Arsenal line up with this amount of attacking players and feel that they are allowed to vacate the defensive part of the game with no plan or reprisal from Wenger.

Post #468652  Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:47 pm 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

You obviously have a thing for eyebrows.
Yes on Garbo, Taylor and Madonna.

Post #468653  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:29 am 

Rich wrote:
Juve starting away at Barca with higuain, mandzukic, dybala and cuadrado in attacking positions. 2 of those are out and out strikers, dybala isn't a midfielder and cuadrado plays as a very attacking and advanced wide man or no.10. You can bet anything you like that Allegri will have all 4 of them totally clear in what they need to give defensively. I often see Arsenal line up with this amount of attacking players and feel that they are allowed to vacate the defensive part of the game with no plan or reprisal from Wenger.

And they got a 0-0 in the Nou camp going through comfortably. We would probably have got roasted 6-0.

Wenger is dragging the club down with him now, if he truly loved the club he would leave, sadly it seems he is convinced he can "reinvent himself", hard to feel sorry for him though if he's damaging the club by his stubborness to accept the situation.

Post #468654  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:10 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

None of the above. I want an Arsenal win.

Post #468655  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:07 am 

The old lady may end up winning this whole thing. Defense wins matches. More incredible than having 10 goals scored in CL tie over two legs against a club the size of Arsenal is holding the most lethal club scoring wise scoreless over two legs.

Post #468656  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:08 am 

I'm predicting an Arsenal win Sunday. As I say, we always have one or two shock results (Bayern Munich a few years ago, we've beaten Man Utd in the spring at times) in the spring.

Post #468657  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:55 am 

Great speech by Corbyn.

Post #468658  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:15 am 

Niall wrote:
Great speech by Corbyn.

Great doesn't do it justice.

i'm torn between voting Labour and voting May because of her no nonsense attitude on Europe.

If he can motivate the voters I could change my mind......................

Post #468659  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:35 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Niall wrote:
Great speech by Corbyn.

i'm torn between voting Labour and voting May because of her no nonsense attitude on Europe.

Brexit is a done deal. What is up for grabs is - what type of post Brexit England do you want to live in?

Post #468660  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 am 

Niall wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Brexit is a done deal. What is up for grabs is - what type of post Brexit England do you want to live in?

Brexit isn't done, one of the Lords, Liberals and or Labour will wreck the negotiations if they don't get their way. The likelihood is no agreement will be reached then everything could be at risk for May. Nothing will get passed through Parliament.

I want what Jeremy wants, I've always been a fan b if the elite get a sniff of him winning they will find a way to wreck his chances. I would also like to know what he would do if he were PM with regards to what he'd agree with the EU especially about border controls. After all it was Labour and still is imo that wants to do a Merkel and let everyone in regardless.

Believe me I am really torn...........

Post #468661  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:50 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Niall wrote:

Brexit isn't done, one of the Lords, Liberals and or Labour will wreck the negotiations if they don't get their way. The likelihood is no agreement will be reached then everything could be at risk for May. Nothing will get passed through Parliament.

I want what Jeremy wants, I've always been a fan b if the elite get a sniff of him winning they will find a way to wreck his chances. I would also like to know what he would do if he were PM with regards to what he'd agree with the EU especially about border controls. After all it was Labour and still is imo that wants to do a Merkel and let everyone in regardless.

Labour have signed up to implement Brexit, they will not halt it but do oppose any attempt to weaken your rights as a worker. Which should be important to anyone who is currently employed.

However, you are correct to say Corbyn now has to answer the question you pose and I'm sure they will come up over the next six weeks.

Just seen that there may be a second referendum after the final deal is known. Eminently sensible, I would argue.

Post #468662  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:59 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Niall wrote:

I want what Jeremy wants, I've always been a fan b if the elite get a sniff of him winning they will find a way to wreck his chances.

Out of interest, if you want all of these things, why would you sacrifice all of them for a no-nonsense attitude on Europe?

Post #468663  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:21 am 

Niall wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
I want what Jeremy wants, I've always been a fan b if the elite get a sniff of him winning they will find a way to wreck his chances.

Out of interest, if you want all of these things, why would you sacrifice all of them for a no-nonsense attitude on Europe?

Because the devil in the dock is the EU not May. The Eu going bust overnight would have to be supported by us as when the Greeks were baled out last time. £7.6 billion iirc.

Post #468664  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:28 pm 

Oh no, Corbynistas think the kids still dab. Even my eight year old knows dabbing is, like, yesterday.

Attachments:

Post #468665  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:49 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Niall wrote:

Because the devil in the dock is the EU not May. The Eu going bust overnight would have to be supported by us as when the Greeks were baled out last time. £7.6 billion iirc.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7mpClSPyhk[/youtube]

Post #468666  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:04 pm 

Stans a great bloke, takes a 2 million advisory fee out the club and hands Half to trump

http://www.cityam.com/263188/arsenal-ow ... =dvTwitter

Post #468667  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:50 pm 

Daz wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Your comments are borne out of ignorance. Whether tyou like him or not he is not responsible for the mess we are in. In fact had his policies been pursued a lot more people would be better off and have services they can rely on.

What have the elite done for themselves and for others less fortunate than them?

Post #468668  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Stans a great bloke, takes a 2 million advisory fee out the club and hands Half to trump

http://www.cityam.com/263188/arsenal-ow ... =dvTwitter

Just spotted this in the comments of the quoted Twitter article, "Arsenal are the equivalent of the Trump administration. Unpopular and sinking with and old idiot in charge." Tut tut...

Post #468669  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:39 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Daz wrote:

Your comments are borne out of ignorance. Whether tyou like him or not he is not responsible for the mess we are in. In fact had his policies been pursued a lot more people would be better off and have services they can rely on.

What have the elite done for themselves and for others less fortunate than them?

Now you've really lost me.

Post #468670  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:04 pm 

Wenger hinting he's going to play 3 centre halves again Sunday. Surely if he does this we're going to get over run in midfield by silva and co.

Also he's missing the point, our issues aren't because of numbers just lack of collective cohesion and individual error. 3 centre halves doesn't fix this.

Post #468671  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:09 pm 

Quick update ....anyone who makes more than 70k a year is a wanker and deserves to be shot and removed from the earth immediately

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 90156.html

Post #468672  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Quick update ....anyone who makes more than 70k a year is a wanker and deserves to be shot and removed from the earth immediately

That's me knackered then.

Post #468673  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:40 pm 

Niall wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Arsenal should sacrifice everything for a no nonsense attitude to Europe!

Post #468674  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:14 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Come on, less fake news. The Gleiber has higher standards surely.

That is the ridiculous comment not the link.

Post #468675  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:17 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Not really. If they are dead they won't be paying taxes, which is the point of it.

Post #468676  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:19 pm 

Northbank Memories wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

That's me knackered then.
Worth considering voting Tory? That should solve the problem.

Post #468677  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 pm 

Anyone earning over 70k should contribute more imo and I'm going to guess TG, though I might be wrong, you would be unaffected. As I would. However the policy should be combined with a long overdue clamp down on tax avoidance.

Post #468678  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:27 pm 

Rich wrote:
Niall wrote:

Arsenal should sacrifice everything for a no nonsense attitude to Europe!

Indeed. Maybe when all the foreigners are sent home we'll be in there....

Post #468679  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:37 pm 

Niall wrote:
Anyone earning over 70k should contribute more imo and I'm going to guess TG, though I might be wrong, you would be unaffected. As I would. However the policy should be combined with a long overdue clamp down on tax avoidance.

I'd be affected and as a traditional labour voter find it a little offensive this guys comments as I've come from a working class background and worked myself up. It's not the money just this type of behaviour doesn't breed success

Why would I be moaning otherwise

Although you know I love a moan mate by now :laughing7:

Would you consider a single income family who earn say 70k a year "rich" ? Well that's what's being said here.

I Find this class politics a little boring from Corbyn and co as I contribute a lot and have never ever resented paying more tax. My family grew up in social housing.

How will they win the middle ground ? Answer is they won't, they will get thrashed and rightly so

Post #468680  Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Come on, less fake news. The Gleiber has higher standards surely.

That is the ridiculous comment not the link.

Fake news ! I was listening to radio 5 yesterday and he came on and said it.

What tactic is that to gain the middle vote. Great thinking lads

Corbyn and McDonnells messaging are akin to early 1900 communism and would never win an election

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11714, 11715, 11716, 11717, 11718, 11719, 11720 ... 14269  Next