Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 103 guests

Post #514641  Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:20 pm 

Advice please from those that buy the shirts.

I’m getting a shirt for my nephew’s birthday, and instead of the usual bog standard £60 odd quid one, as he’s on a special birthday I’m wondering if it’s worth getting him the £100 odd quid one. (Especially given the 10% discount)

Is there a discernible difference in quality or fit?

Cheers

Post #514642  Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:31 pm 

john1 wrote:

I’m getting a shirt for my nephew’s birthday, and instead of the usual bog standard £60 odd quid one, as he’s on a special birthday I’m wondering if it’s worth getting him the £100 odd quid one. (Especially given the 10% discount)

Cheers

Sorry mate, I’ve. no idea. I’ve bought a few home shirts and got one away over the years. But beyond long or short sleeves that is as far as it goes for me.

Post #514643  Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:48 pm 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Cheers

Sorry mate, I’ve. no idea. I’ve bought a few home shirts and got one away over the years. But beyond long or short sleeves that is as far as it goes for me.

No worries. Maybe someone else will know.

The price is putting me off but it’s become a tradition for me to buy him one for his birthday. And as he’s 21 I thought it might be good to get the posher one.

Post #514644  Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:52 pm 

john1 wrote:

Cheers

I wish I had you as an uncle growing up!

I probably have zero beneficial advice really :laughing7: what I would say is that the shirt situation is insane and I’d suggest getting him the 60 quid one and buying him something else because in 9 months time whatever shirt you will have bought gets chucked out anyway and a new one is issued.

I bought my son the yellow away kit 6 months ago which looks nice I thought. Que corona and the first team have barely worn it. Why on earth would any sane human being buy a third kit ? :laughing7:

I’m aware they change the kits every year now but it’s ludicrous really it’s exploiting parents

The new home shirt looks horrendous in my opinion.

Post #514645  Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:03 pm 

It’s really simple. The perfect arsenal shirt is a replication or variation of the 89 shirt or the shirt the invincibles wore.

Thick whole white sleeves that haven’t been messed with and a red body in the right colour tone with minimal touches and flashy bits.

Post #514646  Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:00 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
Ash wrote:

I highly doubt those wage figures. Jorginho is on less than 120k a week? After being bought at great expense recently as Sarri’s key signing? There’s a load of horseshit that goes along with these published lists and always has done as far as I can see. Like Arsenal including bonuses and other clubs not doing so, that makes it meaningless doesn’t it?? Also including and not including agents fees in transfers. Murky stuff.

It will be image rights - Arsenal include them in wages, most of the other clubs in this country don’t

Right Hodd image rights. That wasn't factored in on that website. Let alone other fees. Just basics.

Post #514647  Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:01 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
It’s really simple. The perfect arsenal shirt is a replication or variation of the 89 shirt or the shirt the invincibles wore.

Thick whole white sleeves that haven’t been messed with and a red body in the right colour tone with minimal touches and flashy bits.

I wouldn't rate the 03/04 shirt too highly. Too much white on the shoulders. The simple shirt of the 70s was excellent but I think my favourite was 98. A superb kit.

My son bought the new shirt today using his own money. Crazy price, but the only consolation is that the things last forever. I have shirts from 20 years ago that look exactly.like they were when I bought them.

Post #514648  Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
If Daz is out there watching nervously in his Brentford shirt ...good luck
Another London derby next year no matter what

For me, Effing brilliant. Fulham won 0-1 and they’ve always been my second favourite London club. Have family who support them. I’m so pleased. Fulham are miles below Bayern and Rangers in the correct order of my favourite clubs. But they are fourth following Arsenal, Bayern and Rangers.

Cottagers return.
Suppose the boat rides to their stadium won't be happening for quite sometime.

Post #514649  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:40 am 

It's a shame Brentford didn't make it. I'm sure Hodd is most disappointed. They are on the cusp of big things.

Post #514650  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:38 am 

john1 wrote:

Cheers

Maybe you could buy Özils shirt. He's not using it.

Post #514651  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:43 am 

john1 wrote:

Cheers

Player/authentic shirts are more tight fitting. Best for those who are lean or at least slim. Supposedly lighter and more breathable to aid performance. Apart from the fit, difficult to tell the difference just by looking. Even the made in China fakes are difficult to spot unless you scrutinise closely.

This video should help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs2zyA3QXMI

Post #514652  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:18 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

Cheers

I wish I had you as an uncle growing up!

I probably have zero beneficial advice really :laughing7: what I would say is that the shirt situation is insane and I’d suggest getting him the 60 quid one and buying him something else because in 9 months time whatever shirt you will have bought gets chucked out anyway and a new one is issued.

I bought my son the yellow away kit 6 months ago which looks nice I thought. Que corona and the first team have barely worn it. Why on earth would any sane human being buy a third kit ? :laughing7:

I’m aware they change the kits every year now but it’s ludicrous really it’s exploiting parents

Thanks TG.

It was my Dad that did this until about 5 years ago. Since I’ve been looking after Dad I’ve sort of taken over. To be fair, my nephew usually wears the shirt every time he plays 5 a side, which up until recently was about 3 times a week.

Post #514653  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:19 am 

warrior wrote:
john1 wrote:

Cheers

Maybe you could buy Özils shirt. He's not using it.

Won’t be sweaty, that’s for sure.

Post #514654  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:23 am 

Goonie wrote:
john1 wrote:

Cheers

Player/authentic shirts are more tight fitting. Best for those who are lean or at least slim. Supposedly lighter and more breathable to aid performance. Apart from the fit, difficult to tell the difference just by looking. Even the made in China fakes are difficult to spot unless you scrutinise closely.

This video should help:

Thanks Goonie. Nephew is definitely lean, if not a bit scrawny.

Given his 5 a side playing, it might be better for him.

Discount code runs out on Friday, so I’ll have to make a decision soon.

Post #514655  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:26 am 

https://www.skysports.com/share/12042794

If it’s not safe to accept inbound travel by opponents then it’s going to be a mega challenge trying to persuade another ‘neutral’ country to take that same risk for both clubs involved. And arranging it would be a logistical nightmare. Next season’s European competitions could end up being a nonsense.

Post #514656  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:32 am 

warrior wrote:
socrates wrote:
Very good player but in the twilight of his career and not that good to merit such a deal.

But that's what they said about me though.

Yeh, but your first two yards are in your head. :laughing7:

Post #514657  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:39 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

The shirt looked really nice as we were lifting the cup with it on Saturday. :58big-emoticons:

Post #514658  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:44 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Thanks Rich,

Willian and Aubameyang are the same age. If Aubameyang says he wants a 3 year contract to stay, do we uphold the same criteria some on here applying to Willian?

For me they are very different. One is our best player and it would take huge amounts of money to replace what he gives the team. The other is a nice to have player but not essential in the way a commanding CB and CM are.

If Arteta's criteria for a winger is one who can play both wings, has experience of the league, won't block the progress of Martinelli and Saka and who is cheap then you arrive at Willian.

Post #514659  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:49 am 

https://theathletic.com/1875792/2020/06 ... ed_article

David Ornstein's article in The Athletic about Arteta's Arsenal - article is unlocked and free to read for 7 days

Post #514660  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:33 am 

Very different players indeed, Aubameyang being the most imporant of the two. But they are both 31 and both can remain fairly healthy. Willian brings big game experience. I'd rather we spend that money on a top CB or even a class DM but we will be a better team with Willian.

I'm also obviously pointing out the debate about offering a 31 year old a 3 year contract makes it seem a wee bit hypocritical if we were to offer Aubameyang one. And I doubt fans would storm the gates if Aubameyang got it.

Post #514661  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:07 am 

https://theathletic.com/1735166/2020/04 ... ed_article

Another interesting Athletic aritcle on Arsenal's head of scouting Cagigao

Post #514662  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:11 am 

Spurs reserve Kyle Walker Peters close to signing for Southampton for £12m following a 6 month loan. If Arsenal wanted to move on some of our younger English players there is the bench mark in terms of fee, £12m for a player with only 6 months experience.

Post #514663  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:31 am 

Rich wrote:
https://theathletic.com/1735166/2020/04/10/cagigao-arsenal-fabregas-martinelli-bellerin-aubameyang/?source=emp_shared_article

. A couple of players said they couldn’t make the conference call. Arteta was unimpressed. He sent an uncompromising WhatsApp voice message in return.

Let’s have a guess which 2 players did this ?

Post #514664  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:53 am 

john1 wrote:
Goonie wrote:

This video should help:

Hi John,

My young lad is 15 and very fit..plays football and is a black belt in Taekwondo so you can imagine the wirey type build. He got the Adult Small size yesterday, the regular type shirt and it is in no way baggy or loose on him. Obviously, your own call but as TG said I would go with the normal shirt and buy something else with the difference.

Post #514665  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:07 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
It's a shame Brentford didn't make it. I'm sure Hodd is most disappointed. They are on the cusp of big things.

Very disappointed; they've been fantastic this season and deserved to go up, albeit they were 2nd best last night

It would have been nice for them to have been able to christen their new stadium as a premier league club

Post #514666  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:14 pm 

dec wrote:
john1 wrote:

Hi John,

My young lad is 15 and very fit..plays football and is a black belt in Taekwondo so you can imagine the wirey type build. He got the Adult Small size yesterday, the regular type shirt and it is in no way baggy or loose on him. Obviously, your own call but as TG said I would go with the normal shirt and buy something else with the difference.

Thanks for that dec.

Along those lines, I myself got last season’s 3rd shirt from a friend who works at Sports Direct so got it cheap. He got me a large. It was too big, so he swapped it for a medium. At my age, I was well chuffed!

Post #514667  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
Spurs reserve Kyle Walker Peters close to signing for Southampton for £12m following a 6 month loan. If Arsenal wanted to move on some of our younger English players there is the bench mark in terms of fee, £12m for a player with only 6 months experience.

If everything was equal - which I realize it isn't - that should mean Chambers and Holding are worth at least 20m each, which is precisely why I'd be looking to sell them both. Both decent players, but to me their monetary worth trumps their worth to the team as players at this point. If we could get 40m combined for two back-ups, that's serious money to reinvest into the team.

Post #514668  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:24 pm 

https://www.arsenal.com/news/club-update-2020

Statement from Arsenal regarding Covid, fans in stadiums, 55 redundancies are more

Post #514669  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:40 pm 

Rich wrote:

Statement from Arsenal regarding Covid, fans in stadiums, 55 redundancies are more

Hi Rich,

I know that people will say the two areas are independent of each other but it is hard to expect us to be spending millions in the transfer window when 55 employees have lost their jobs, people far more reliant on those wages than any player at the club.

I suppose the argument is that there is simply no role for the 55 at the club under the cloud of Covid but it just seems so unfair.

Post #514670  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:04 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

I know that people will say the two areas are independent of each other but it is hard to expect us to be spending millions in the transfer window when 55 employees have lost their jobs, people far more reliant on those wages than any player at the club.

I suppose the argument is that there is simply no role for the 55 at the club under the cloud of Covid but it just seems so unfair.

The Kroenkes - don’t know how people like that sleep at night. The money it would cost just to keep those folk in work for a year would be a mere drop in the ocean from his own personal wealth. How much money does one person need?

And don’t tell me the club needs to pay its way; yes it does, but this is just so Kroenke the Cant reduces his own losses. Shameful.

Sometimes I wish there was a hell.

Post #514671  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The shirt looked really nice as we were lifting the cup with it on Saturday. :58big-emoticons:

Especially the one Aubameyang was wearing when he dropped the trophy. :42laughter:

Post #514672  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:27 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

I don’t think you can attack arsenal for doing this. Kroenke doesn’t put his own money into the club. Every business up and down the country is having to adapt and Arsenal aren’t different.

Yes we have players earning large sums of money but the whole club exists around what’s on the pitch. Unfortunately you can’t just ignore the realities of Covid.

Post #514673  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://theathletic.com/1735166/2020/04/10/cagigao-arsenal-fabregas-martinelli-bellerin-aubameyang/?source=emp_shared_article

Just been sacked according to Arseblog

Post #514674  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:18 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Who needs a scouting network when you have Raul's contact book.

Post #514675  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:23 pm 

socrates wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:

Who needs a scouting network when you have Raul's contact book.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sports- ... rater/4868
How many of these players will end up at Arsenal this summer? Must be millions of players worldwide but we shop in this pool of 7

Post #514676  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

I don’t think you can attack arsenal for doing this. Kroenke doesn’t put his own money into the club. Every business up and down the country is having to adapt and Arsenal aren’t different.

Yes we have players earning large sums of money but the whole club exists around what’s on the pitch. Unfortunately you can’t just ignore the realities of Covid.

Hi TG,

I understand that some of those positions probably no longer even exist until things get back to normal (if they ever do) but let's say for arguments sake that the average salary of those sacked is £25k a year. That's saving about £1.3m in salaries, about £25k a week, not even the salary of a good youth prospect.

Those savings are hardly going to give us greater leverage in the transfer market.

Post #514677  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:28 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hi TG,

I understand that some of those positions probably no longer even exist until things get back to normal (if they ever do) but let's say for arguments sake that the average salary of those sacked is £25k a year. That's saving about £1.3m in salaries, about £25k a week, not even the salary of a good youth prospect.

Those savings are hardly going to give us greater leverage in the transfer market.

And all the while one "employee" trousers £350k a week for doing nothing. I know Covid has forced a financial rethink on everyone but this doesn't sit right.

Post #514678  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:35 pm 

With the timing of this redundancy news I would be amazed if Arsenal now make any big signings. Certainly not without major sales anyway.

Post #514679  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:46 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hi TG,

The salaries will be more than that. Your talking scouts and marketing and all sorts a lot more.

You can’t equate the contracts the players have signed with the salaries other staff are paid, those contracts are signed, done, kaput. Asking all the players to pay the salaries of people who no longer have a job doesn’t make sense. You need them motivated, happy and feeling like their pay check isn’t being muddled with every 5 minutes. Football is unique and the performance on the pitch drives the commercial income. Surely everyone can see this.

You can’t just ignore Covid, we have empty football stadiums and the money has to come from somewhere.

I’ll make you a little bet, a pint of strong lager says when our transfer business is done this summer our net spend is zero and we are in profit. Bet that happens

Post #514680  Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:10 pm 

Lots of talk that the Willian deal is very close, and that if it happens there is no chance of Arsenal getting Coutinho.
Also some talk tonight from French football that we're close to Gabriel Magalhaes, young left sided CB from Lille. 22 years old, 6ft 3". Must be seen as the long term partner for Saliba and much more like the profile we need

If we can just shift some CB out the door now. Sokratis, Holding, Chambers, Kolasinac - I know some people are more tied to the younger english pair but I'm not convinced by either. None of those 4 have the pace to play in a top level defence, and don't mask it by exceptional reading of the game or organisational ability. If you really pushed hard you could get £50m for those 4. They're really surplus to requirements.

On the left side we have Tierney, AMN, Saka. At CB you'd have Luiz, Saliba, Mari, Mustafi and one more (whether it's this guy or not) 5 CB is enough, and even if you want to play a back 3 Tierney has shown he can play in that.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12864, 12865, 12866, 12867, 12868, 12869, 12870 ... 14269  Next