Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 107 guests

Post #511881  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:28 am 

I wonder when we get back to some semblance of a life if the movie and TV industries will ignore Covid 19 or not when filming?

Post #511882  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:28 am 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I wasn't aware of Atletico's interest in Lacazette. They are big enough where he wouldn't be opposed to a move I would assume. A swap would be ideal...and we send Mustafi as well as a 'bonus' :42laughter:

I hope we give Mustafi a new contract and he stays for years. Firstly, he’s improved greatly under Arteta so is arguably an adequate squad player. Secondly, just to annoy a tosser like you.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Post #511883  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:31 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Have not read that but it makes sense. Just look at say 3000 away supporters crammed together. A few carriers and then look at before and after matches. Some people stay a little longer either end and eat and drink and stay in accommodation. Fly. High transmission rates possible. Then look at the home supporters and it becomes very scary.

Being reported here that the death rates appear to be much higher than reported in the UK. It is distressing.

Of course it's distressing but they're not comparing like for like. If it isn't per million of population then what's the comparison?

eg https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... habitants/ UK in 4th place but compare how much of our population lives in densely populated areas to say France and there's another explanation.

Apologies if you're not interested :12hello-bye:

Don’t forget how quickly your country went into lockdown as a factor. There are numerous factors including cultural such as Italians and French love to hug and kiss etc

Post #511884  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:46 am 

This video was recommended in the comment section of a video I was watching. Ian Wright was one of the ones interviewed so of course I gave it a look. I knew the name John Barnes but nothing in detail.

Post #511885  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:54 am 

...and there was a clip of a newspaper saying "I would prefer to stay in London with a club like Arsenal or Spurs and I just can not believe they aren't interested in signing me."

It begs the question. Why didn't we? :8angers:

Post #511886  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:08 am 

What's your biggest accomplishment of your career?
Barnes: Winning the title (1988)
What's your biggest regret of your career?
Barnes: Not taking the corner vs Arsenal.

Post #511887  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:01 am 

I'm doing a lot of work in the background trying to fix some forum bugs so you might notice a few odd things happening.

Post #511888  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:09 am 

warrior wrote:
I'm doing a lot of work in the background trying to fix some forum bugs so you might notice a few odd things happening.

That's the goon america

Post #511889  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:24 pm 

I've modified the links within the main page to help with users getting logged in.
All links are fully pathed to the SSL side now.

Google has indexed the non SSL site which might have been causing some problems with people locating the site and logging in.

Also, I've streamlined all the PHP tables so the pages should load faster.

There may be a bug with Google Chrome which I am looking at next.

Post #511890  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:26 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Of course it's distressing but they're not comparing like for like. If it isn't per million of population then what's the comparison?

eg https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... habitants/ UK in 4th place but compare how much of our population lives in densely populated areas to say France and there's another explanation.

Apologies if you're not interested :12hello-bye:

Don’t forget how quickly your country went into lockdown as a factor. There are numerous factors including cultural such as Italians and French love to hug and kiss etc
Your point is noted but have you kept an eye on what Sweden are doing and what is happening there too?

Not sure how I am going to cope with another 3 months of this let alone a possible year. Thinking out loud I am considering moving in with my youngest and their kids as we are both isolating and both clear, it seems, so cannot see why not.

Anyone else considering something different?

Post #511891  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:28 pm 

s
warrior wrote:
I've modified the links within the main page to help with users getting logged in.

Google has indexed the non SSL site which might have been causing some problems with people locating the site and logging in.

Sorry Warrior not a clue what you're on about. Still, I suppose knowledge like that's why you get paid your massive salary.

Post #511892  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I wasn't aware of Atletico's interest in Lacazette. They are big enough where he wouldn't be opposed to a move I would assume. A swap would be ideal...and we send Mustafi as well as a 'bonus' :42laughter:

I hope we give Mustafi a new contract and he stays for years. Firstly, he’s improved greatly under Arteta so is arguably an adequate squad player. Secondly, just to annoy a tosser like you.

Never thought he was as bad as people were making out.

Post #511893  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:34 pm 

Gunfire wrote:

Nor did I. His problem was making big errors which, considering the number he made in the total games he played, were probably fairly occasional. Had he not made these errors, I reckon many would see him as a pretty good player. Not world class or even comparable to the likes of Mertesacker or Koscielny, let alone players like Campbell or Adams. But much better than some give him credit for.

I also have time for his attitude. If any of our current defenders found themselves on the goal line with a head high Peter Lorimer type thunderbolt heading towards the goal, I consider Mustafi as the most likely to try and get his nut in the way of it.

Post #511894  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:18 pm 

warrior wrote:

I could have sorted that if you had asked me...

Post #511895  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:20 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Sorry Warrior not a clue what you're on about. Still, I suppose knowledge like that's why you get paid your massive salary.
Should we furlough him?

Post #511896  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:28 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Agreed. Any deficiencies in Arsenal's defence tends to be exaggerated. Mostly it has been about slack organisation rather than individual failings. Our marking at corners under Arsene and his coaches in the latter years was not only pathetic, but prophetic. Social distancing way before its time. Arsene knew.

Post #511897  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:52 pm 

No omoh, he's rubbish. It's a matter of when not if. Lets get a proven CB in there.

Post #511898  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:53 pm 

How in the world did we stay in this match? Stoke should have easily won this thing.
For a moment i was thinking "this can't be the double season, we aren't going to win this thing".

Post #511899  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:19 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
No omoh, he's rubbish. It's a matter of when not if. Lets get a proven CB in there.

Either there are many Arsenal games you don’t watch or you don’t know the game. Or maybe a bit of both?

Post #511900  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I personally am skeptical of ANY turnaround talk while Mustafi is on the payroll. I don't who comes or goes out. That's my barometer if they are serious.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... r-18134156
'20/21 title is ours!' - Arsenal fans go nuts as Thomas Partey transfer talks are confirmed

Has it not crossed your mind that it possibly has zero to do with being serious? If he does stay it could have much more to do with Arteta rating Mustafi a lot more highly than you.

Not many thoughts make it all the way across his mind without sinking into the goo.

Post #511901  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:51 pm 

Seems VAR will be abandoned if-when current season ever starts again. Let alone the new season.

Post #511902  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:14 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Your point is noted but have you kept an eye on what Sweden are doing and what is happening there too?

Not sure how I am going to cope with another 3 months of this let alone a possible year. Thinking out loud I am considering moving in with my youngest and their kids as we are both isolating and both clear, it seems, so cannot see why not.

Anyone else considering something different?

Might I seriously suggest you speak to a helpline dealing with issues out of isolation and handling it. In Australia they have given more money to organisations dealing with mental health and they have numerous people calling with problems from isolation and just the whole unknown future. I would caution you against moving as you suggested. It might give you company but is that fair on your kids and grandkids. They are probably struggling as well and I am not sure that I would welcome another into a household. Despite often having words I hope you are okay and find some strategies to deal with it.

Post #511903  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:20 pm 

Zed wrote:
Seems VAR will be abandoned if-when current season ever starts again. Let alone the new season.

Then how can the season possibly be recognised. A major rule change in the middle of the season, talk of not having home games but playing at a central place which would favour some teams over others. They are taking the piss because they want the TV money. I will never recognise this season or any trophies from it other than the League Cup which was decided, even if they continue.

Post #511904  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:23 pm 

Without wishing to break up the Mustafi love-in, is his reputation benefiting from not playing? It wasn't a case of a mistake in the occasional big game. He is error-prone because his decision-making is poor. He has decent physical attributes, puts in lots of effort and seems like a decent lad, but he makes too many mistakes. He's just not good enough for a team that is aiming for top 4, let alone to challenge for the league.

Post #511905  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:24 pm 

dec wrote:
Without wishing to break up the Mustafi love-in, is his reputation benefiting from not playing? It wasn't a case of a mistake in the occasional big game. He is error-prone because his decision-making is poor. He has decent physical attributes, puts in lots of effort and seems like a decent lad, but he makes too many mistakes. He's just not good enough for a team that is aiming for top 4, let alone to challenge for the league.

Harsh

He hasn’t put a foot wrong in the last few weeks. New contract !

Post #511906  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:14 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
How in the world did we stay in this match? Stoke should have easily won this thing.
For a moment i was thinking "this can't be the double season, we aren't going to win this thing".

I was at Hillsborough that day and that’s why my avatar is who it is. The bottle to knock that penalty in against the best goalie in the world!
Not forgetting Franks towering header to force the handball by Mahoney. Brilliant.
They were a very good team Stoke and hammered us in the league that season
We played them in the semifinals the following year and again it went to a replay. I remember there was a train strike and we went to Liverpool on a coach and some little scouser f...er through a brick through the window as we approached Goodson. Froze on the way home but happy as we’d won
That semi was brilliant. In my memories’ highlight reel it’s way up there Frank Stapleton nutting in the winner in a semi at Coventry against a tremendous Liverpool team in the ninth (I exaggerate) replay was pretty f. ing good too

50 years ago. Man Great memories

By the way I forgot how much I loved Ray Kennedy. I know he went off and joined Liverpool but what a great player. 19 years old in the double season with us .....him and big Raddy were a real handful. He suffered a severe, debilitating illness which was one of life’s unfair sentences.
Anyhow....bit pissed(English translation) tonight.... a very agreeable bottle of Meursault put away.......so forgive the rambling.
Stay safe Gooners.

Post #511907  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:08 am 

Great story Andy. Hope you are staying safe in Philly. Cut out the soft pretzels and cheesesteaks. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #511908  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:08 am 

Andy Green wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I was at Hillsborough that day and that’s why my avatar is who it is. The bottle to knock that penalty in against the best goalie in the world!
Not forgetting Franks towering header to force the handball by Mahoney. Brilliant.
They were a very good team Stoke and hammered us in the league that season
We played them in the semifinals the following year and again it went to a replay. I remember there was a train strike and we went to Liverpool on a coach and some little scouser f...er through a brick through the window as we approached Goodson. Froze on the way home but happy as we’d won
That semi was brilliant. In my memories’ highlight reel it’s way up there Frank Stapleton nutting in the winner in a semi at Coventry against a tremendous Liverpool team in the ninth (I exaggerate) replay was pretty f. ing good too

50 years ago. Man Great memories

By the way I forgot how much I loved Ray Kennedy. I know he went off and joined Liverpool but what a great player. 19 years old in the double season with us .....him and big Raddy were a real handful. He suffered a severe, debilitating illness which was one of life’s unfair sentences.
Anyhow....bit pissed(English translation) tonight.... a very agreeable bottle of Meursault put away.......so forgive the rambling.
Stay safe Gooners.

I remember it well too, although from a different person. At the time I was away from home at Exeter University. That day I went to an Exeter City home match and spent the entire time with a transistor radio glued to one ear (the height of technology at the time). It was purgatory. When the Exeter game finished we were still down (and out as I thought).

So I did one of those weird lucky omen things. I told myself that if I turned off the radio for the walk back to my digs then when I arrived things would somehow be okay. Turned out somehow unbelievable and wonderful.

Having missed many home games that season I was unable to get a ticket for the final but went to Wembley for the pre-match atmosphere before returning to my parents’ home to watch yet another amazing game on television (in black and white).

PS No recollection whatsoever of the Exeter game as I wasn’t really paying it any attention.

Post #511909  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:17 am 

I think he's using homesickness as an excuse. Its a factor in the beginning, but if you really want to be a footballer and given where he came from and the huge opportunity, you get on with it. I've been in a similar place as his, far away from home at a young age in a place culturally different. The reason you are there wins out.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/22/arsenal- ... -12596474/
Arsenal flop Denilson explains how Arsene Wenger tried to save his Gunners career

Post #511910  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:06 am 

dec wrote:

He played 20 times for the German national team. Poor defenders don't start 20 matches for Germany especially a German team that won the world cup. He's a player that needs someone beside him to complement him. He's at his best in tight defences where the muck and bullets are flying. He gets caught when we play a high line where his judgment and pace sometimes let him down. Pair him with a quick CB and he's quite good. Not world class but a decent defender.

Post #511911  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:25 am 

First, I didn't know Wolves were that good in the '70s. I thought their heyday came and went in the late '50s. Second, I had no idea Sunderland scored against his old club in the semis in '79! Were the Wolves fans taunting him prior to and during the game?

Post #511912  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:19 pm 

I can think of a few people on here who would do this...hehehe
https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus- ... 55593.html

Post #511913  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:52 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Like whom? Why not name them? Or are you just pathetically trolling people without being specific about who?

Post #511914  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:07 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
dec wrote:

He played 20 times for the German national team. Poor defenders don't start 20 matches for Germany especially a German team that won the world cup. He's a player that needs someone beside him to complement him. He's at his best in tight defences where the muck and bullets are flying. He gets caught when we play a high line where his judgment and pace sometimes let him down. Pair him with a quick CB and he's quite good. Not world class but a decent defender.

If you compare the number of goals he’s given away from bad mistakes to the number of games he played, I would expect the word ‘occasional’ to be justified. I don’t think it’s fair to count any mistake if it didn’t lead to a goal because even players who have performed brilliantly in a match probably make a small number of errors in them (the perfect performance must be incredibly rare).

I don’t think recent praise of Mustafi has anything to do with him not playing. He played bloody well since his cock up at Stamford Bridge, even in the rest of that game. As Top Gun implied, dec is being mega harsh.

Post #511915  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:18 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I can’t.

Post #511916  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:36 pm 

Good 'political' answer. :42laughter:

Anyhoo...Keane has to be saying things just to be contrary. I recall once he didn't see anything wrong with Wenger not shaking hands with the other manager after a loss.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 23446.html
Roy Keane defends Mesut Özil decision to reject pay cut and insists he would do the same in his position

Post #511917  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Like whom? Why not name them? Or are you just pathetically trolling people without being specific about who?

A few might pay you to do it to Donald Trump but if you think anyone on this forum would do such an thing you seriously need psychological attention.

Post #511918  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:11 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

If you compare the number of goals he’s given away from bad mistakes to the number of games he played, I would expect the word ‘occasional’ to be justified. I don’t think it’s fair to count any mistake if it didn’t lead to a goal because even players who have performed brilliantly in a match probably make a small number of errors in them (the perfect performance must be incredibly rare).

I don’t think recent praise of Mustafi has anything to do with him not playing. He played bloody well since his cock up at Stamford Bridge, even in the rest of that game. As Top Gun implied, dec is being mega harsh.

Noone mentions the last second tackles that he makes that have saved us as many times as his actions have cost us...................

Post #511919  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:44 pm 

Hmmm... :icon_eek1:

Attachments:

Post #511920  Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:47 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Stay safe Gooners.

No alcohol has been (legally) sold in South Africa since 26 March, and there is no prospect for the ban being lifted in the next three week.

Despite what one might conclude from my posts, I hardly drink, and have a bottle or two so I'm not suffering. But quite a few of my compatriots are resorting to homebrewing and worse, as you can imagine. There has been quite a run on pineapples (which grow well in these parts), yeast, and sugar. :laughing7:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12795, 12796, 12797, 12798, 12799, 12800, 12801 ... 14269  Next