Fixtures Saturday May 2nd - Liverpool - Emirates Stadium - 3:00 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 8:33 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bernard, Bing [Bot], warrior and 3 guests

 
Post #510081  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I can't bare to watch the Watford v Liverpool game. I'm so nervous.

Why would you take your clothes off?


I'm rather proud of my body. I have pics I can post. Others can PM me if they are shy :1laughter:

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510082  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

I can be accused of being more concerned about Liverpool's season than ours. haha

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510083  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12030
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I can't bare to watch the Watford v Liverpool game. I'm so nervous.

Why would you take your clothes off?

Soiled himself in the excitement ...? :icon_mrgreen:

Of 36 posts today ..... 16 are his nonsensical blatherings .

I sometimes muse why the f**&& couldn't he have picked Tottenham as a club to follow .


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510084  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:06 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7837

kiwipete wrote:
Soiled himself with excitement ...?

Of 36 posts today ..... 16 are his nonsensical blatherings .

I sometimes muse why the f**&& couldn't he have picked Tottenham as a club to follow .

Only 16? That’s fewer than normal.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510085  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5928
Location: Townsville Australia

Woke up early for a walk and it was raining. Back to bed. Awoke late and turned on TV and there was some great news- the first good news story of the week. Klopp is no better manager than George Graham - 1 defeat in a season. Now he may not even be that good if they lose again. His run and season are just another EPL winning team - nothing more than that. Tell Liverpool supporters to stick it up their a...

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510086  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12030
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Soiled himself with excitement ...?

Of 36 posts today ..... 16 are his nonsensical blatherings .

I sometimes muse why the f**&& couldn't he have picked Tottenham as a club to follow .

Only 16? That’s fewer than normal.



The coronavirus of the computer world


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510087  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7349

Invincible my arse

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510088  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 4889
Location: SE9

Liverpool have hit the wall in recent weeks, a few scrappy performances where they saw it through for wins, defeat to Athletico, nearly got turned over by West Ham and now this. Fatigue, physical and mental, sets in.
Just emphasises what a great achievement going through an entire league season unbeaten was for Arsenal.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510089  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 4889
Location: SE9

AmericanGooner wrote:
I will toot my own horn.

I know you're pleased Liverpool have lost, but don't you think that's taking the celebrations a bit far?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510090  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7349

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I will toot my own horn.

I know you're pleased Liverpool have lost, but don't you think that's taking the celebrations a bit far?

He's been cheering them on to win the treble for weeks. God alone knows........

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510091  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5928
Location: Townsville Australia

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Given what we’ve seen so far this season I’d say that is pretty accurate prediction.
Optimistic would say win v Leicester, win v saints, draws away to wolves and spurs
Pessimistic would say draw away to Brighton, draw away to villa and drop a silly draw at home to either West Ham, watford or Norwich

I think you’re optimistic and pessimistic viewpoints make sense. But another thing that has to be remembered is that on paper our easiest games are against West Ham, Brighton, Norwich, Aston Villa and Watford.

But they’re all likely to be fighting relegation (unless Villa and Watford have gone before we play them). So as an overall group, why they represent some of the worst teams in the league (I would add Bournemouth to that list but we don’t have to play them again), they’re probably not going to roll over and let us beat them.

Looking at the relegation battle, many clubs will not be lying down and our team has a real history of making assumptions about how good they think they are and having games taken away from us by the opposition. Arteta has been unable to inspire the team to play for a whole game. We have had a good 20-30 minutes or sometimes a half of football but often dire for the rest of the game. None of the teams we have to play will start a game believing - Arsenal will win it. I suppose from our perspective we need to get to 40 points first. But I will be looking with great interest as to how we perfom against the likes of Spurs and Liverpool. Any blow outs would be deeply concerning.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510092  Posted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

Well. I can breathe easier. Older fans on here have the '71 side, the '79 cup, ,89 (still surreal seeing the goal in video) and a European cup in the 90s.

I have the '04 season. It's the one iconic event of my support and I want to hold on to its uniqueness as long a I can.

Hopefully I will see us win a CL in my life time.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510093  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:04 am
Posts: 17821

kiwipete wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Why would you take your clothes off?

Soiled himself in the excitement ...? :icon_mrgreen:

Of 36 posts today ..... 16 are his nonsensical blatherings .

I sometimes muse why the f**&& couldn't he have picked Tottenham as a club to follow .

P :laughing7:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510094  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8663
Location: Singapore

Pool finally lost :58big-emoticons:

Our records are intact :53big-emoticons:

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510095  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

We may have another big win in us but there are too many big clubs still in the FA cup for me to take ourselves seriously in the competition. Either Chelsea or Liverpool will be out, but both Manchester clubs and Tottenham should get through.

Man Utd and Tottenham are within reach within the league but we'd have to go on a run the likes of which we haven't been able to come close to doing all season or last for that matter. We're not capable of such a run in our present form.

The season is more or less a wash right now. We can try and get a big win or two and the players can become comfortable in Arteta's system. That's about all we have left probably.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510096  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15736

I think 4 of our records stayed in tact with that Watford win yesterday.
1. Invincible season
2. 49 game unbeaten run
3. Scoring in every game in a season
4. Going unbeaten away from home (twice)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510097  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 am
Posts: 1653
Location: Liverpool/Caernarfon

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Only 16? That’s fewer than normal.



The coronavirus of the computer world


I think coronavirus probably has more friends than our blathering idiot.

_________________
Gorau chwarae cyd chwarae


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510098  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13266

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
11 games to go in the EPL. 7 very winnable games in amongst a couple of hard ones.

So what do people consider an appropriate return, that would suggest we are improving?

I don’t see seven as particularly easy to win. My prediction is five wins, two draws and four defeats, as follows:

West Ham H - 3 points
Brighton A - 3 points
Southampton A - 1 point
Norwich H - 3 points
Wolverhampton A - 0 points
Manchester City A - 0 points
Leicester H - 1 point
Tottenham A - 0 points
Liverpool H - 0 points
Aston Villa A - 3 points
Watford H -3 points

Whether seventeen points from eleven games represents an appropriate return is debatable. Also, my predictions won’t all be right. But I don’t see Southampton away and Leicester home as very winnable if they are part of your seven.

Two points per game would be a 'appropriate return'. 22 points would get us close to Champions League qualification, if the current contenders continue at the rather mediocre rate of 1.5-1.6 points per game.

As for how many points we will get ... apart from City away, I would not bet on the outcome of any of those games!

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510099  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13266

AmericanGooner wrote:
We may have another big win in us but there are too many big clubs still in the FA cup for me to take ourselves seriously in the competition. Either Chelsea or Liverpool will be out, but both Manchester clubs and Tottenham should get through.

Man Utd and Tottenham are within reach within the league but we'd have to go on a run the likes of which we haven't been able to come close to doing all season or last for that matter. We're not capable of such a run in our present form.

The season is more or less a wash right now. We can try and get a big win or two and the players can become comfortable in Arteta's system. That's about all we have left probably.

????

Have you looked at the table and the form of the teams in 4th to 8th?

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510100  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13266

AmericanGooner wrote:
Come to think of it, Wenger is probably as nervous as I am. It's his marquee accomplishment as well.

Yes, I'm sure he's also relieved that he can finally pack away the rubber sheets for the season!

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510101  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8938

We should reward Watford and buy Ismaila Sarr.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510102  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15736

Accurate long range shooting, gk makes a mistake and Man U get a goal.
We need to give our opponents the opportunity to make a mistake far more


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510103  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7349

Rich wrote:
Accurate long range shooting, gk makes a mistake and Man U get a goal.
We need to give our opponents the opportunity to make a mistake far more

In fairness Rich, that was an absolute howler by Pickford. You don't expect to score from a shot like that.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510104  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

Goonie wrote:
We should reward Watford and buy Ismaila Sarr.

...and made to answer why they are called the Hornets with a moose on their emblem.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510105  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

Tottenham. :53big-emoticons:

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510106  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15736

bromley gooner wrote:
Liverpool have hit the wall in recent weeks, a few scrappy performances where they saw it through for wins, defeat to Athletico, nearly got turned over by West Ham and now this. Fatigue, physical and mental, sets in.
Just emphasises what a great achievement going through an entire league season unbeaten was for Arsenal.

I read about Liverpool’s xG, in the 12 games prior to the West Ham game they conceded 3 goals but the xG said they ‘should’ have conceded 9 goals. XG is a good stat because it is showing the quality of the chance conceded. Liverpool were being fortunate that their opponents weren’t putting away the chances they created, them in TG e West Ham and watford games they conceded 5 from an xG of just over 3.

xG could also be used to paint a more realistic picture of that 22 game unbeaten run by Emery. Opponents were missing chances they’d normally take and we were scoring at an unsustainable rate.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510107  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15736

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:
Accurate long range shooting, gk makes a mistake and Man U get a goal.
We need to give our opponents the opportunity to make a mistake far more

In fairness Rich, that was an absolute howler by Pickford. You don't expect to score from a shot like that.

Agreed, but if you never shoot and don’t get any shots on target you don’t even have the chance of that 1/100 mistake or deflection.

Every GK in history has proven they can have a howler and fudge one in to their own net.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510108  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

Okay sigh of relief over, Liverpool has lost and I can devote my energies to The Arsenal :42laughter: We have a game in hand against Man Utd and Tottenham, we win that and its game on. The run in is going to test Arteta's managerial skill and we can see just how much mental toughness the squad has grown, if at all.

Home to West Ham, away to Brighton, are winnable. Away to Soton has banana peel written all over it. It gets trickier down the road, games against Leicester and Tottenham. We are going to need help from other teams for sure.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510109  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/apos-dear- ... 04455.html
'Dear Arsenal, you're welcome!' - Watford's message to Gunners after ending Liverpool's hopes of surpassing 2003-04 Invincibles

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510110  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5928
Location: Townsville Australia

VAR favouring Man Utd. Next time someone is anywhere near our keeper and offside I expect them to rule the same. Let’s see consistency.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510111  Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 1938

Gaz from Oz wrote:
VAR favouring Man Utd. Next time someone is anywhere near our keeper and offside I expect them to rule the same. Let’s see consistency.


To be fair, of all those types of moments, that was the most blatant as he was sat on his arse right in the way. However if he’s not there De Gea isn’t saving that shot anyway as he was totally wrong footed. Veerrry lucky for Utd, but the right decision in my book.

How good does it feel that Liverpool won’t get near our records again for a good while yet?? Embarrassingly good, we’ve got naff all else to celebrate :1laughter: :22cry:

_________________
'At Arsenal it was always the same 8 or 9 who stayed behind after training. And I guarantee if you do that you'll become a better player'


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510112  Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5928
Location: Townsville Australia

Ash wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
VAR favouring Man Utd. Next time someone is anywhere near our keeper and offside I expect them to rule the same. Let’s see consistency.


To be fair, of all those types of moments, that was the most blatant as he was sat on his arse right in the way. However if he’s not there De Gea isn’t saving that shot anyway as he was totally wrong footed. Veerrry lucky for Utd, but the right decision in my book.

How good does it feel that Liverpool won’t get near our records again for a good while yet?? Embarrassingly good, we’ve got naff all else to celebrate :1laughter: :22cry:

Yep, there was a lot of Pool supporters who have emerged and they can say what they like but they were carrying on like two bob watches about their team. They are just another team who will win a title.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510113  Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8663
Location: Singapore

A few friends of mine, who are Pool supporters, were laughing so hard at Arsenal each time we messed it up. Well, they were right that we kept messing it up for ourselves. I took it on the chin because you can't challenge results. Now that they have lost their first match, I decided to keep quiet about it. No use stooping to their level. Let them grieve through their own sorrow.

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510114  Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5928
Location: Townsville Australia

gooner7 wrote:
A few friends of mine, who are Pool supporters, were laughing so hard at Arsenal each time we messed it up. Well, they were right that we kept messing it up for ourselves. I took it on the chin because you can't challenge results. Now that they have lost their first match, I decided to keep quiet about it. No use stooping to their level. Let them grieve through their own sorrow.

But as soon as I hear them carrying on about - greatest team of all time - I lose my cool somewhat.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510115  Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5928
Location: Townsville Australia

Okay - this story will break your hearts. Get your hankies out , read and weep.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/mourinh ... lly-unfair

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510116  Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8663
Location: Singapore

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
A few friends of mine, who are Pool supporters, were laughing so hard at Arsenal each time we messed it up. Well, they were right that we kept messing it up for ourselves. I took it on the chin because you can't challenge results. Now that they have lost their first match, I decided to keep quiet about it. No use stooping to their level. Let them grieve through their own sorrow.

But as soon as I hear them carrying on about - greatest team of all time - I lose my cool somewhat.


Not all of them are arrogant, but most rank up there with MU fans.

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510117  Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8663
Location: Singapore

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Okay - this story will break your hearts. Get your hankies out , read and weep.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/mourinh ... lly-unfair


I cried me a river :22cry:
:42laughter:

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510118  Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5928
Location: Townsville Australia

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Okay - this story will break your hearts. Get your hankies out , read and weep.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/mourinh ... lly-unfair


I cried me a river :22cry:
:42laughter:

You alright mate. You read such devastating news like this and you just realise how unfair the world is. One thing is certain, the reformed and remodelled Mourinho will still never accept the blame for anything.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510119  Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5928
Location: Townsville Australia

So big game this one. I would change the team from the last game. I need to see a motivated team, not players thinking they only have to turn up for a win.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #510120  Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 1938

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I cried me a river :22cry:
:42laughter:

You alright mate. You read such devastating news like this and you just realise how unfair the world is. One thing is certain, the reformed and remodelled Mourinho will still never accept the blame for anything.


The way Jota and Jiminez counter attack! :love4:

Not to mention Traore on the right he’s like the flash and the juggernaut in one. There’s a team set up to counter. Really interesting next few years for them because I think the perceived wisdom is you need to dominate possession to succeed at the top.

_________________
'At Arsenal it was always the same 8 or 9 who stayed behind after training. And I guarantee if you do that you'll become a better player'


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 512317 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12750, 12751, 12752, 12753, 12754, 12755, 12756 ... 12808  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bernard, Bing [Bot], warrior and 3 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018