Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 100 guests

Post #508401  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:24 pm 

In the prem so far this season weve committed 2 more fouls total than palace but collected 27 more yellow cards. Even accounting for some of our yellows being professional fouls that is massively disproportionate

Southampton have 25 more fouls but 23 fewer yellows

Post #508402  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:55 pm 

Forgot to mention how good AMN was yesterday, think someone else mentioned it. I think when we don’t notice defenders we maybe forget that is the best defensive performance. Last ditch tackles etc are great for highlights reels but if you’ve had to make the tackle you’re in the wrong position to start with - I think that’s a Maldini quote

Anyway zaha was kept very quiet which is not easy. In fact I’d say zaha didn’t get a kick

Post #508403  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:39 pm 

Post #508404  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:28 pm 

Just been watching the Arsenal ladies team playing away at Brighton (well, at Crawley’s ground really - horrible playing surface).

Given all of the publicity about how the women’s game is growing I’m surprised to see what a very low attendance there is. Quite an entertaining game, albeit extremely comfortable.

Post #508405  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:29 pm 

socrates wrote:
Greeny wrote:
Wally of the weekend?

Well, of course it was Walcott
2nd place goes to VAR, for not giving a retrospective penalty

How on earth can a referee watching the Walcott incident on VAR not see that as a penalty? It genuinely beggars belief.

VAR is a sham. Far from reducing errors and bringing a greater degree of fairness to the game, it is completely arbitrary and totally unpredictable. Just from a few games yesterday, blatant foul on Walcott ignored, blatant foul on Burnley defender for Chelsea's second goal ignored, Aubameyang correctly red-carded, West Ham goal ruled out for accidentall handball in the build-up. Firminho's goal went for VAR review and while I was sure it was valid I had no idea whether or not it would stand because such is the nature of these reviews that we frequently have no clue which way the call is going to go. It's utter rubbish.

Post #508406  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:45 pm 

Yet another goal resulting from keeper to fullback inside the goal area. This time Watford at the expense of Bournemouth. So many goals from this innovation this season. High risk / low reward.

Post #508407  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:57 pm 

Saw something yesterday that said we're only a few weeks away from it being a whole year since Lacazette scored away from home in the PL. If that's true that isn't merely a confidence issue, that's just an indicator of a not very effective centre forward.

Post #508408  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:11 pm 

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on MOTD: ‘When you play Man City in the Carabao Cup and they put their strongest team out, you know you've gone places because that means they respect us.’

That is embarrassing. They lost 3-1, and Pep was furious City didn’t bury them 6-0

Post #508409  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:15 pm 

Yep, his last away goal was last Feb against Huddersfield on Feb 9th last year, you then have to go back to October 7th, 2018 for the one before that. Not an elite striker on those numbers. Only scoring against Relegated team too it seems. The last time he scored away against a team who didn't get relegated was almost two years ago against Newcastle in April 2018, when Wenger was still manager.

Post #508410  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:43 pm 

Darren wrote:
Yep, his last away goal was last Feb against Huddersfield on Feb 9th last year, you then have to go back to October 7th, 2018 for the one before that. Not an elite striker on those numbers. Only scoring against Relegated team too it seems. The last time he scored away against a team who didn't get relegated was almost two years ago against Newcastle in April 2018, when Wenger was still manager.

I agree his record isn’t great but his link up play is very good, the goal yesterday was all about his touch to Aubameyang and how many outright guilt edged chances do you see him missing regularly.

I think he’s a penalty box striker and at the moment the service we give our strikers is appalling.

Post #508411  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:44 pm 

socrates wrote:
Lacazette is becoming something of an enigma, there is plenty to admire about his game such as the hold-up play and his work ethic but he's paid to score goals and without that goal threat he becomes something of a luxury if his presence pushes Aubameyang out wide.

Lacazette and Aubie are good personal friends and they are seen as a good partnership but in what formation?
My guess is Lacazette is seen to be a 'Michael Owen' type of striker and if that's the case, we need a formation that gets us there.

Post #508412  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Just been watching the Arsenal ladies team playing away at Brighton (well, at Crawley’s ground really - horrible playing surface).

Given all of the publicity about how the women’s game is growing I’m surprised to see what a very low attendance there is. Quite an entertaining game, albeit extremely comfortable.

Women's football was bigger than American men for a time. Not surprising given our girls were much better in comparison. I saw our women's team play to a sold out stadium in Pasadena, California 20 years ago. Mostly men there.

What is a surprise to me about women's football in general is the lack of support of female fans. Not sure why that is. I would also think it would be a great chance for families to take their daughters to as well. At least in America, it doesn't happen as much as it should.

Post #508413  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:48 pm 

I think Lampard has kept his job but I don't see OGS keeping his.

Post #508414  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:52 pm 

What I would like to see is Martinelli in the same role as Lacazette more often and see what he can do. I'm very excited about him. I hope we nurture that young talent carefully. If Pépé can get better (and smarter) in his role, along with Martinelli, Saka and a few others, we have a very, very good attack going. Shore up the back line and a box to box center mid and we have a decent squad.

Post #508415  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:32 pm 

I see that Daz is back in action. Cobra starts this coming Friday on Sky. Initial preview reports are complimentary.

Back to his fine form on Spooks I hope.

Post #508416  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Hi, can’t say I noticed them at the game. We’re any really naughty or was it just the sheer number of them?

The frustrating thing was he made a point of booking Lacazette for tallying up of fouls, none of which were yellows on their own, so he showed he was aware of accumulated fouls by players needing a yellow.

I think Opta tweeted Ayew is the first player to commit 7 fouls in a game and not be booked

At least 7 fouls. Nothing given.

Post #508417  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:30 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I see that Daz is back in action. Cobra starts this coming Friday on Sky. Initial preview reports are complimentary.

Back to his fine form on Spooks I hope.

Unfortunately its on at the same time as "Watching Paint Dry" on BBC2, it just edges his show. I'll be sure to tape it. :1laughter:

Post #508418  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:52 pm 

Here in the very biased American major news outlets, we keep hearing about how Meghan Markle is hated by the British press and by extension the people. If its so, why? There is an elephant in the room as to why, but I don't want to make assumptions.

Post #508419  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:28 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Here in the very biased American major news outlets, we keep hearing about how Meghan Markle is hated by the British press and by extension the people. If its so, why? There is an elephant in the room as to why, but I don't want to make assumptions.

She's disliked by the right-wing tabloids as she's a) of mixed heritage b) foreign and c) stands up for causes which get right up the noses of the idiots who control our media. Our media is driven by a nasty, bigoted narrative and she is the current target. It's the same nonsense that convinced people the root of all our problems are the EU. When your PM has form for racism, your media has from for racism and your newest princess is an American of black heritage, then it doesn't need a scientist to explain how it will play out. SO here we are.

I really don't care either way on the royal family but I do think it's a ridiculous institution. I like the way Harry and Meghan though are looking to go it alone. *%^@ the haters and people should just leave them alone to enjoy their family.

Post #508420  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:32 pm 

What Darren said.

Post #508421  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:43 pm 

Rich wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Rich has to take that line because it fuels his belief that it doesn't matter which referee ; they all ,
every last one of them .....run on that field with a pre concieved plan to punish Arsenal far more than the opposition .

Hi kiwi,
Amongst other things there are things that make this forum great.
1. The wealth of football knowledge
2. not all the chat being football (albeit I tend to just stick to football)
3. some in-jokes
4. arsenal fans young to old and from all over the world passionately following and creating well articulated thoughts and arguments about the club and the game.
A few things I don’t care much for. (And these are general and not aimed at anyone in particular)
1. Any personal insults
2. Arguments between individuals that drag on and on so much that the two people probably forgot what the original argument/debate started with (I never get involved with these because I’m not on the forum enough to catch all the replies and have plenty better things to do)
3. And this one I’m afraid is directed to your point above....people taking someone else’s view, distorting that to an absolute extreme in order to argue against that distorted view. It is the straw man argument

I can scroll past most of the stuff that doesn’t interest me and I don’t get involved in spats with others and never directly criticise others on the forum. I’m happy to have a difference of opinion as others, and don’t mind if people think I’m wrong, it’s impossible that we’ll all agree. I just find it frustrating that a decent debate can be shut down by exaggerating someone’s view beyond what they’ve actually said, it makes it relatively pointless continuing the conversation.

Kind greetings to you too Rich ..... well put and I'll respond in kind .

"Taking someone elses view " Bernard made a statement I happened to agree it with him . [ that's a milestone in itself ]

This is a forum after all .... so the "decent debate " as you put it shouldn't be confined to just two participants .

I find your general perception of football to be very good ; I just find your constant harping about the officials [ which happens every single game ] devalues what good points you have made .

All the best to you for the rest of the year

Now I'll finish up my coffee and face the wonderful prospect of dragging my weary septuagenerian bones out to the shed and start cutting / welding my son's rusty boat trailer he bought at the weekend

Doubly exciting because the goddamn boat with a bloody enormous 250 kg outboard are still in place on the trailer ..... so access is limited .

There'll be plenty of cursing 30 minutes from now ..

Post #508422  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:05 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Rich wrote:
Hi kiwi,
3. some in-jokes
4. arsenal fans young to old and from all over the world passionately following and creating well articulated thoughts and arguments about the club and the game.
A few things I don’t care much for. (And these are general and not aimed at anyone in particular)
1. Any personal insults
2. Arguments between individuals that drag on and on so much that the two people probably forgot what the original argument/debate started with (I never get involved with these because I’m not on the forum enough to catch all the replies and have plenty better things to do)
3. And this one I’m afraid is directed to your point above....people taking someone else’s view, distorting that to an absolute extreme in order to argue against that distorted view. It is the straw man argument

I can scroll past most of the stuff that doesn’t interest me and I don’t get involved in spats with others and never directly criticise others on the forum. I’m happy to have a difference of opinion as others, and don’t mind if people think I’m wrong, it’s impossible that we’ll all agree. I just find it frustrating that a decent debate can be shut down by exaggerating someone’s view beyond what they’ve actually said, it makes it relatively pointless continuing the conversation.

"Taking someone elses view " Bernard made a statement I happened to agree it with him . [ that's a milestone in itself ]

This is a forum after all .... so the "decent debate " as you put it shouldn't be confined to just two participants .

I find your general perception of football to be very good ; I just find your constant harping about the officials [ which happens every single game ] devalues what good points you have made .

Now I'll finish up my coffee and face the wonderful prospect of dragging my weary septuagenerian bones out to the shed and start cutting / welding my son's rusty boat trailer he bought at the weekend

Doubly exciting because the goddamn boat with a bloody enormous 250 kg outboard are still in place on the trailer ..... so access is limited .

Don’t worry about the cursing. I won't rule a fire out as a possibility. Grinder probably full fuel tank, probably a leaky fuel hose as well. Yeah leave that boat in place - what could go wrong.

Post #508423  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:47 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

There’s many elephants in one obvious room. As others pointed out she’s pretty hot, foreign and of mixed race. Not very appealing to the Brexit lot who have had their brains manipulated.

British press is a nightmare, printing lies daily stimulating idiots to create an opinion based on nonsense. The general public have been told for 20 years now that everything wrong with our country is because of foreigners. What did we think would happen if one married into the royal family ? It’s all tragically entirely predictable.

Also as part of my job I have been lucky enough to travel to many countries. It genuinely pains me to suggest that unfortunately I feel Brits are less forward thinking than most of the people in the countries I’ve visited. Most people in Britain complain relentlessly about others and what they haven’t got in their lives rather than what they do Have.

In turn all of this contributes in creating people like this guy ...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/mor ... s-21252969

Post #508424  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:16 pm 

Darren wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

She's disliked by the right-wing tabloids as she's a) of mixed heritage b) foreign and c) stands up for causes which get right up the noses of the idiots who control our media. Our media is driven by a nasty, bigoted narrative and she is the current target. It's the same nonsense that convinced people the root of all our problems are the EU. When your PM has form for racism, your media has from for racism and your newest princess is an American of black heritage, then it doesn't need a scientist to explain how it will play out. SO here we are.

I really don't care either way on the royal family but I do think it's a ridiculous institution. I like the way Harry and Meghan though are looking to go it alone. *%^@ the haters and people should just leave them alone to enjoy their family.

Well, the 'elephant' in the room is real.

Post #508425  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:21 pm 

What Darren and Top Gun said.

Post #508426  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:27 pm 

She didn't seem to be another "Mrs. Simpson"
We had the same issue here. Michelle Obama was treated horribly. Called all kinds of bigoted things, even by elected officials.
The hypocrisy between how the right wing has talked about Melania is stark. Michelle Obama got critiqued by the evangelicals for wearing a sleeveless dress. But Melania's soft porn past was said to be 'art'.

Personally, I think its a great thing that one can rise from whatever their past is to be first lady of the nation (or even President if they are good at heart). Michelle from poor, working class Chicago stock and Melania from poor, working class Slovenian stock who had forays into nudity and if the rumors are true, some escort work.

I love that either could rise to where they are. The Democrats did not rise to the same level as the Republicans. Melania is an easy target, but they respected the position of first lady. The Republicans still talk about Michelle Obama, shockingly knowing their own first lady is such an easy target but they know people won't do that.

Both the targeting of Harry and Meghan and the Obamas are sad but unfortunately until they are called out by the public en masse they will feel emboldened. I am a Bernie Sanders supporter and I know if he wins (fingers crossed) the anti semetic memes will come out. The same way the supremacists came out when Obama got elected. The same will happen if/when we elect a gay president as well.

The old adage about good men doing nothing come to mind.

Post #508427  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:34 pm 

Anyway, Sheffield United next. Year ago I had great convo at the pub in Asia watching a match with a Wednesday supporter. At the time, I had no idea the city gave birth to some of my favorite 80s bands: Human League, Heaven 17, ABC.

He said that the city was similar to our Pittsburgh. Iron works, etc. Blue collar, tough, manly town and that these adrogynous bands of the '80s were really a form of rebellion against their fathers. The one thing their tough, working class fathers hated was anything 'ponce' and so they portrayed what their fathers and elders hated in acts of rebellion. That's his view. Not sure if its true but it made sense to me.

Post #508428  Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:26 pm 

Feckless. How do you lose PK shoot out 4-1?

(Edit - video blocked)

Last edited by long time gooner on Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Video unviewable due to having been blocked

Post #508429  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:51 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Darren wrote:

I agree his record isn’t great but his link up play is very good, the goal yesterday was all about his touch to Aubameyang and how many outright guilt edged chances do you see him missing regularly.

I think he’s a penalty box striker and at the moment the service we give our strikers is appalling.

Has our midfield stopped Aubameyang from scoring though? I have seen Lacazette miss good chances but even if his finishing isn’t that bad, which I don’t think it is, might not getting into positions to miss chances be an even bigger concern?

For me Lacazette’s main strength is his work rate. As I said yesterday I’m not as convinced about his hold up play as you and socrates might be. I honestly don’t think it’s as good as Giroud’s used to be.

It was me who said Lacazette may have lost confidence in the box. Perhaps I’m wrong and as Darren implies he just isn’t an elite striker? Because as Darren implies, don’t top forwards produce away as well as at home, and against big teams?

Post #508430  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Has our midfield stopped Aubameyang from scoring though? I have seen Lacazette miss good chances but even if his finishing isn’t that bad, which I don’t think it is, might not getting into positions to miss chances be an even bigger concern?

It was me who said Lacazette may have lost confidence in the box. Perhaps I’m wrong and as Darren implies he just isn’t an elite striker? Because as Darren implies, don’t top forwards produce away as well as at home, and against big teams?

There’s certainly a credible suggestion he’s not a top striker. I think Aubameyang is clearly a better striker but it also helps he can run from a wide left position and lose his marker.

The big question I have when we play these days isn’t if our defence will let a goal slip it’s if we will create a chance in an entire half. These days we are more than capable of going through an entire 45 minute period without creating a single chance. For example apart from the Pépé snapshot we did nothing in the second half on Saturday.

There’s never an early through ball from our midfield to run onto and I don’t see Lacazette missing many chances, name his last guilt edged miss. There’s certainly evidence he is a clinical finisher and if we put him on the transfer list I’m sure he would get a lot of interest from other clubs.

I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. He’s not a world class striker but we don’t create anywhere near enough chances to criticise him as he works hard and certainly can finish.

Post #508431  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:35 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Rich wrote:
Hi kiwi,
3. some in-jokes
1. Any personal insults

Morning Kiwi - Thanks for the reply.

Only thing to add to avoid confusion, and this is nearly always down to me being able to express my thoughts better in speech than in text (in text I read it back to yourself how you'd want to speak it but others wont) when I said 'taking some elses view' I meant my own view, and I certainly wouldn't want debate contained to 2 people, I myself have gingerly tiptoed in to other people's debates if I felt I had something to add.

On refs, I do realise in the heat of the game I will have a more bias view on Arsenal games, but do see the same problems in games not involving Arsenal. What I'd like to do, and try to do - possibly unsuccessfully - is certainly not to blame the refs for every game we don't win - I think if you look back to Emery's terrible run, and certainly the end of Wenger's run my ire was directed far more at the manager and team, but to look at the poor state of officiating in the country generally and how these things certainly don't even themselves out over the course of a season.
I think sometimes the forum has a tendency to jump on any mention of a ref in a game and claim that person who mentioned him is trying to blame the ref for us losing. I don't see it as only ever being able to blame one thing, ie: Arsenal can be an utter shambles but also get some poor decisions from a ref. I have played football a lot and I can tell when someone is trying to 'do someone' or someone is bending the rules as far as they can, just small bits of gamesmanship/cheating and find it frustrating that refs appear to have no idea about it (as much as he's a Panto villain, I actually thin Mike Dean is one of the best at the 'not on my watch' refs - he has other faults though!)

I can make it clear that I do not or have never thought refs are out to get Arsenal, or have some pre-conceived agenda against us, but they are human so will be influenced by a huge number of external factors. For me it all boils down to consistency.

One thing I do also realise is that by putting the scrutiny on these things myself I am naturally going to see more of it - an unconscious bias. Much like when I was younger I had my heart set on buying an Audi A3 car - everywhere I went I kept seeing Audi A3's as though they had suddenly become popular - clearly not.

Have a great day, here's hoping Mikel can somehow squeeze us to a Europa league win and back in the promised land of the corporate, money driven Champions League!

Post #508432  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:48 am 

Rich wrote:
Have a great day, here's hoping Mikel can somehow squeeze us to a Europa league win and back in the promised land of the corporate, money driven Champions League!

A problem with the Champions League now is that we used to underachieve even when we had a side of real quality.

And that side had the huge advantage of being seeded in pot 1 due to their coefficient. If we do ever manage to claw our way back then it seems likely that we’ll be seeded as rank outsiders and it would be tough to progress.

Post #508433  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:14 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

A problem with the Champions League now is that we used to underachieve even when we had a side of real quality.

And that side had the huge advantage of being seeded in pot 1 due to their coefficient. If we do ever manage to claw our way back then it seems likely that we’ll be seeded as rank outsiders and it would be tough to progress.

Do you know off hand what effect winning the Europa League, the only realistic way of Arsenal getting back in it next season, makes to our coefficient compared to a fourth place finish? I’ve no idea how they calculate each team’s coefficient. From not being in the Champions League since 2016/7, would we be in the same pot whether we win the Europa League or finish fourth?

Post #508434  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:04 am 

Greeny wrote:
Coefficients are based on the performances in the last 5 years, so we would have to be out of Europe completely for at least 3 or 4 years to end up in Pot 3 or 4

You get 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw, then you get a bonus point for reaching the quarter final, semi final and final, so if we win all the ties and the Final then we could get 13 points from the quarter finals to the final.

We got 15 points in 2015/16, then 19 points in 2016/17, 21 points in 2017/18, 26 points in 2018/19 and only 8 points this season so far
The 26 points from 18/19 will see us alright for 4 years, if we haven't been in Europe again by then then, yes, we'll be in pot 3 or 4.

This link will explain it all

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/index.html

Thanks Greeny. So reaching the final of the Europa League last year got us plenty (26) of points. If it’s solely based on results in European competition, unless I’ve misunderstood your post, winning the Europa League is a better way of getting in the Champions League than a top four finish, or even winning the Premier League?

Post #508435  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:32 am 

Keeper.

Attachments:

Post #508436  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:46 am 

Take a few minutes to look at this - it is quite wonderful.

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/

Post #508437  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 am 

Greeny wrote:

Wow. I’m surprised by that. I had expected us to have plummeted.

Post #508438  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:14 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Take a few minutes to look at this - it is quite wonderful.

https://neal.fun/deep-sea/

Scary descent by those guys in 1960. Unbelievably brave.

Post #508439  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:41 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Greeny wrote:

Wow. I’m surprised by that. I had expected us to have plummeted.

What’s interesting is that Chelsea won 30 points from winning the Europa League last season whereas Liverpool won 29 from winning the Champions League. We got 26 from being runners up in the Europa League. Tottenham got 26, the same as us, from being runners up in the Champions League.

Post #508440  Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 pm 

Greeny wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Thanks Greeny. So reaching the final of the Europa League last year got us plenty (26) of points. If it’s solely based on results in European competition, unless I’ve misunderstood your post, winning the Europa League is a better way of getting in the Champions League than a top four finish, or even winning the Premier League?

Well, sort of.

If we win the Europa League this season then it will raise our coefficient level so we'll definitely be in Pot 1 for the draw for next year's Champions League group stages.

I would still take us winning the Premier League this season and getting knocked out by Olympiakos, and then only being in Pot 2 for the Champions League next season.

Pot 1 or 2 for the Champions League group stages is no biggie though.
It's if we fail to qualify for Europe for 3 or 4 years, because then we'll be in Pot 4 for the CL group stages, which would be tricky...a group of death, etc.

Yes of course. Point taken. I was making my observation solely on the grounds of which would help our coefficient rating more, not the pleasure or satisfaction that would be incurred from seeing us win the league again.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12708, 12709, 12710, 12711, 12712, 12713, 12714 ... 14269  Next