Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 90 guests

Post #505761  Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:14 pm 

5 at the back and 7 defensive players at home to Southampton.
The guy hasn’t a clue what formation to play let alone what tactics to play after 18 months in charge.

With Aubameyang and Lacazette in the last 18 months of their contract it feels like we’ll be selling both in the summer. Then you’ll be looking at a team that needs rebuild in central defence, central midfield and a pair of strikers.

We must end this now. Even if it writes off this season and we finish 10th. Get it done.

Post #505762  Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:45 pm 

When you weigh up the pros and cons of keeping/sacking emery, quite literally the only pro is that we save £6m

Post #505763  Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:59 pm 

VAR is a total joke. We see goals ruled out for pretty much guesswork on tight offsides, but watch southamptons first goal today....technically the quick free kick was taken with the ball still slightly rolling.
Now it was minuscule and I don’t want to see goals ruled out for that but once you’ve set your standard for ruling goals of via VAR then you need to scrutinise everything in the same way. This isn’t a matter of judgement for a foul or something like that, the ball was not still so it should have been ruled out.

Also, on the saints penalty one of their players is a pace inside the box when it is struck. The kick should have been re-taken.

Obviously it’s all nonsense because the margins are so tight, but once you’ve set the bar for review you can not pick and choose what is and isn’t reviewed. Both of those goals had errors that VAR should have corrected under the current way VAR is being used

Post #505764  Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:06 pm 

Arsenal 13 fouls and 6 yellow cards. Saints 19 fouls and 2 yellow cards.

This is a crazy common theme in all our games this season.

Can anyone who watched the game confirm if arsenal were just not making fouls but when we did they were clear yellows? Which is odd in itself because you see so many teams get that warning and last warning before they get booked. We just seen so easy to card it’s crazy

Post #505765  Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:25 pm 

Out shot 21 to 12 at home to Southampton.

So far we have 18 points this season. Considering we can’t pick up a thing on the road and have drawn our last 3 home games you have to say that if Emery is allowed to stay until the end of the season you are looking at a season tally maybe in the 45/50 point mark max. That probably puts us 12th or so. It really wouldn’t be a surprise that a) it happens and b) emery is allowed to make it happen

Post #505766  Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:45 pm 

Rich wrote:

Can anyone who watched the game confirm if arsenal were just not making fouls but when we did they were clear yellows? Which is odd in itself because you see so many teams get that warning and last warning before they get booked. We just seen so easy to card it’s crazy

Other teams know the dark arts and will rarely get booked for the fouls they make.

Ours are from desperation and crudely made. We deserved every yellow card we got today as far as I could see. It is plainly obvious that he has lost the dressing room but what we need is someone to call him out for is incompetence.

Emery must go as soon as possible.

Post #505767  Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:47 pm 

I really doubt the club have the balls to end this pantomime.

There are no tangible signs of progress and no redeeming features to our play and the only good thing Emery appears to have done during his tenure is to give some of the kids a chance.

There is no reason to keep this farce going other than the financial implications of sacking him, although perhaps the club will consider that with our top four hopes gone they might as well wait until the season's end.

Post #505768  Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:51 pm 

If he stays I cannot see where we might pick up points. Look at the games to come. I can only see a handful of points if we keep playing like this.

He will not be with us at the end of the year............

Why delay the inevitable?

Post #505769  Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:25 pm 

From F365 - always finds the words to sum things up brilliantly

A manager out of his depth in relatively shallow waters.

Losing away at Leicester can be excused, but only because Emery has lowered standards and expectations to such a level. The bar cannot be lowered far enough to make scraping a point against Southampton anything other than an unmitigated disaster. And the result only tells half the story.

Southampton had nine more shots. Only three of their starting outfielders didn’t have at least one attempt; Danny Ings had as many in the first half as Arsenal overall. A team in 19th, who were beaten 9-0 less than a month ago and were locked in a seven-game winless run with statistically the worst defence in the league, were too strong, too fast, too unified, too confident for almost the entire game.

Post #505770  Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:30 pm 

He has to go now. It can't continue. It's hard to imagine how a change of manager could make things any worse.

Post #505771  Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:51 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Get Pochettino in.

It wont happen but it would be a gamble I'd take ..... the delicious irony if he were to prove a success .

Watching Pat Jennings perform well stuck in the craw of Spurs supporters for many years ; this would be the same .

What rankles post match ... Aubameyang and Emery saying " they understand fan frustration" ... " they are working hard blah blah "

Bollocks ..... you donkeys play the same way every outing and expect a different result .

Definition of madness

As been said shame we grabbed the draw , gives our myopic board the chance to dither for a bit longer .

Remember it isn't just getting rid of Emery ....... a whole bunch of his hanger - ons would have to go too .

When some news article said before the international break " we had a run of relatively easy games " I said we had the ability to make Southampton , Villa , Norwich look like Barcelona ....... and so it proved .

Post #505772  Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:45 pm 

Club still behind Emery. Link

Sir Chips thinking of resigning. Link

Post #505773  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:11 am 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Get Pochettino in.

It wont happen but it would be a gamble I'd take ..... the delicious irony if he were to prove a success .

Watching Pat Jennings perform well stuck in the craw of Spurs supporters for many years ; this would be the same .

What rankles post match ... Aubameyang and Emery saying " they understand fan frustration" ... " they are working hard blah blah "

Bollocks ..... you donkeys play the same way every outing and expect a different result .

Definition of madness

As been said shame we grabbed the draw , gives our myopic board the chance to dither for a bit longer .

Remember it isn't just getting rid of Emery ....... a whole bunch of his hanger - ons would have to go too .

When some news article said before the international break " we had a run of relatively easy games " I said we had the ability to make Southampton , Villa , Norwich look like Barcelona ....... and so it proved .

I think they probably have a candidate in mind who probably can’t start until next year. I would get a short termer in immediately. The one I have in mind is Guus Hisdinck. Yep all the hanger oners are a problem. Get Guus to bring a defensive coach and the rest of the entourage stay but take directions from Guus. If they don’t like it negotiate a release. And I don’t care if he has them putting out cones while Mertesacker, Bould & Ljunberg help out.

Let’s try something. We are not even going to be in Europa next year so we have nothing to lose. Inaction is fatal.

Post #505774  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:42 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Rich wrote:

Other teams know the dark arts and will rarely get booked for the fouls they make.

Ours are from desperation and crudely made. We deserved every yellow card we got today as far as I could see. It is plainly obvious that he has lost the dressing room but what we need is someone to call him out for is incompetence.

Rich’s post about bookings compared to fouls surprised me as I agree with bubblechris, we deserved every one as far as I could see at the game. On this occasion it’s a non-issue, in my view anyway.

Post #505775  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:59 am 

socrates wrote:

There are no tangible signs of progress and no redeeming features to our play and the only good thing Emery appears to have done during his tenure is to give some of the kids a chance.

There is no reason to keep this farce going other than the financial implications of sacking him, although perhaps the club will consider that with our top four hopes gone they might as well wait until the season's end.

Morning Socrates. I strongly suspect you have hinted at an important factor. The ownership regime don’t want to pay up Emery’s contract, and as being a top four place is massively unlikely (for example, my guess is Watford are still mathematically capable of winning the league), why throw money down the pan on Arsenal when the LA Rams is Stan’s clear priority?

Maybe some of you find Wilts a bit repetitive but I honestly can’t argue with his views on Kroenke’s ownership.

Post #505776  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:34 am 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Rich’s post about bookings compared to fouls surprised me as I agree with bubblechris, we deserved every one as far as I could see at the game. On this occasion it’s a non-issue, in my view anyway.

I only noted it because that would be a surprising stat in any game. A yellow per 2 fouls. I said I didn’t watch the game so just wanted to see if it was justified.
We are miles top of the fouls per booking stat, something like a card every 3 fouls when some teams pick up a card every 11 fouls. It’s hugely disproportionate but every ref is treating us the same which leans more towards us being utterly stupid and unable to foul without it being blatant rather than any conspiracy- that’s not what I was getting at

Post #505777  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:37 am 

Southampton managed 13 shots in the last 3 games combined. They had 21 against us!

Under emery this season we’ve conceded 56 more shots than we’ve taken.

How is this clown still allowed to be in charge?

If I tried to set up a team to play in to the hands of every single opponent and also play to the weaknesses of every one of my players you’d be hard pushed to do it better than Emery

Post #505778  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:38 am 

At the moment every stat should have us in the bottom 5 of the table.

If emery continues for the rest of the season it wouldn’t be a stretch to imagine us sweating about being a few good wins for teams below us to pull us in to a relegation fight

Post #505779  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:02 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

Morning Socrates. I strongly suspect you have hinted at an important factor. The ownership regime don’t want to pay up Emery’s contract, and as being a top four place is massively unlikely (for example, my guess is Watford are still mathematically capable of winning the league), why throw money down the pan on Arsenal when the LA Rams is Stan’s clear priority?

Maybe some of you find Wilts a bit repetitive but I honestly can’t argue with his views on Kroenke’s ownership.

Take your point Bernard,but I think the problem is larger than the simple economics of offloading Dick and his camp followers, the whole Club seems to be comatose from top to bottom,even allowing for a disinterested absentee owner who looks like he belongs in a police line up.

The handling of the issue surrounding that swivel eyed, duplicitous thief Özil has been farcical from whoa to go for instance. If I had Stan's money I'd pay out his contract and gift him to Dagenham & Redbridge for Christmas!
And then there's the debacle surrounding Xhaka. All the red herrings and spin under the sun won't change why he was booed off the ground in the first place. And a manager who claims not to know when or if he will play again? Pardon me squire, bu isn't it your job to know? Does he have a Hissy Fit clause in the contract? A Toys Out of the Pram codicil? Its all just a bloody shambles from where I sit, simple chap that I am. My wife has been wondering lately why I don't just stick to shoving bamboo under my fingernails, instead of crawling out of bed in the middle of the night in my dotage. Sadly, she has a point.

Watched Wrighty's interview with Bergy a while ago, and recall him saying that such was the passion a the Club back then that there was rarely a training session where they didn't have to break up a fight. Can't imagine the current shower even comprehending that level of commitment!

Simply can't see any top manager being willing to take on this mess even if the Board acted, which they won't given they don't have the balls god gave a gerbil!

Post #505780  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:18 am 

Just seen the clip where Sokratis dribbled across his own area, was bullied off it and saints should have scored a simple 2v1 on Leno!!! It is the sort of mistake good teams make once a season. We do it 2-3 times every match!

Post #505781  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:42 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I only noted it because that would be a surprising stat in any game. A yellow per 2 fouls. I said I didn’t watch the game so just wanted to see if it was justified.
We are miles top of the fouls per booking stat, something like a card every 3 fouls when some teams pick up a card every 11 fouls. It’s hugely disproportionate but every ref is treating us the same which leans more towards us being utterly stupid and unable to foul without it being blatant rather than any conspiracy- that’s not what I was getting at

Quite a few of them came from professional (or semi-professional*) fouls when we lost the ball and with our players upfield. We were caught like that very frequently. Özil never reacts in these situations, even when he is the one who has lost the ball. So its 10 v 11 when when we are out of possession.

We also pick up yellows from similar situations caused by *%^@*** around at the back. The final category is simple indiscipline (lip, handbags). There was a fair amount of that but I can't recall if there were any that led to yellows yesterday.

*Lacazette's was a case in point but I give him a pass because of his goals and general combative attitude.

Post #505782  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:49 am 

Saw someone saw there are more elite teams than there are elite managers now. Some truth in that

Post #505783  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:00 am 

Arsenalia wrote:
My wife has been wondering lately why I don't just stick to shoving bamboo under my fingernails, instead of crawling out of bed in the middle of the night in my dotage.

:laughing7: perched on a chair in front of the computer at 3. 50 am I had similar thoughts ...

" What am I watching this sh**t for ."

Baffles me how every single person on this forum [ bar one ]
can see exactly what is wrong with Arsenal Football Club and yet the powers that be can't ..... :icon_scratch:

Post #505784  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:08 am 

bubblechris wrote:

Please someone arrange a mass exodus at the next match.Leave the place empty and all head for the nearest pub.

Hit management in their pockets and things will change.

how will that hit management in their pockets ...?

Organising a mass exodus means you've already paid your entrance fee . :icon_mrgreen:

Post #505785  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:22 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I think they probably have a candidate in mind who probably can’t start until next year. I would get a short termer in immediately. The one I have in mind is Guus Hisdinck. Yep all the hanger oners are a problem. Get Guus to bring a defensive coach and the rest of the entourage stay but take directions from Guus. If they don’t like it negotiate a release. And I don’t care if he has them putting out cones while Mertesacker, Bould & Ljunberg help out.

I don't know about help out Gaz, I'd put them in the bloody team. :laughing7:

Post #505786  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:23 am 

Surely it is just a case of when and how he is sacked and who he is replaced with. The owners (not the board) must be listening to Edu and Raul who surely can see that Emery is a busted flush.

The last time we won in the league was two months ago. No doubts, this is relegation form.

Teams that are in a relegation battle are always less than the sum of their parts. And we are certainly in this category. Individually we are better than the current performances. However the coach is failing to get the squad playing to their potential. Therefore he must go.

We are just waiting for the when and how.

BTW, at least we will not be playing Thursday night next season.

Post #505787  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:26 am 

kiwipete wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Please someone arrange a mass exodus at the next match.Leave the place empty and all head for the nearest pub.

Organising a mass exodus means you've already paid your entrance fee . :icon_mrgreen:

All have paid with season tickets anyway. Just walk out. The owners would not ignore that. Or all refuse to take seats until the tenth minute. Stay in the bars for the first part of the game

Post #505788  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:27 am 

Rich wrote:
Saw someone saw there are more elite teams than there are elite managers now. Some truth in that

I'd give Arteta a go, Rich. We aren't finishing top four now so it really doesn't matter. A young, intelligent manager with an attacking philosophy.

Sadly, they don't want to pay Emery & co off so it seems we are stuck with him until the summer at least.

Post #505789  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:28 am 

kiwipete wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

There's always a bloody pedant. You could start an argument in a phone box. :laughing7:

Post #505790  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:29 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

I'd give Arteta a go, Rich. We aren't finishing top four now so it really doesn't matter. A young, intelligent manager with an attacking philosophy.

Sadly, they don't want to pay Emery & co off so it seems we are stuck with him until the summer at least.

The way things are going we may need a specialist in keeping a club in the PL. Bring on Fat Sam. :36angers:

Post #505791  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:38 am 

I’m more and more convinced that emery is doing such irreversible damage that we are going to go in to another huge squad turnover. Remember we’ve turned over virtually the entire playing squad in the last 3 seasons.
The combination of highly paid players needing to be shifted, ageing players needing to be shifted and crucially the very best players wanting to leave, I think will mean the following players leave this squad in the next 18 months: Aubameyang, Lacazette, Özil, Xhaka, kolasinac, mustafi, Sokratis, torriera and Luiz possibly might retire somewhere else.
A complete restructure required yet again

Post #505792  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:40 am 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

The way things are going we may need a specialist in keeping a club in the PL. Bring on Fat Sam. :36angers:

Actually, I think Fat Sam would do a better job.

Post #505793  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:40 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

I’d go for it. And bring in someone to coach the defence.

We need an injection of personality to flow through the club

Post #505794  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:11 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Not so sure we count as an elite team anymore. Maybe not even an elite club at the moment.

Post #505795  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:12 am 

socrates wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

There's always a bloody pedant. You could start an argument in a phone box. :laughing7:

:12hello-bye: How harsh ... just like to clarify these matters .

I've just listened to Unai's post match interview if anyone can understand what he is on about you are better man than I Gunga Din .

Post #505796  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:15 am 

socrates wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:

And Pulis

Post #505797  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:20 am 

Arsebog totally nails it today. This is much bigger than just Emery.

Post #505798  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:25 am 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

I've just listened to Unai's post match interview if anyone can understand what he is on about you are better man than I Gunga Din .

Just listened to two pundits commenting on Emery's post match interview. Like you I didn't have a bloody clue what he was on about.

Post #505799  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:26 am 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

And Pulis

It's got to the point where I'd welcome Allardyce or Pulis.

Post #505800  Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:27 am 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

They should have subtitles.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12642, 12643, 12644, 12645, 12646, 12647, 12648 ... 14269  Next