Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 101 guests

Post #503281  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:42 pm 

dec wrote:
john1 wrote:

Hi dec.

Isolation doesn’t account for that shot that cleared the stand, or that underhit pass when Saka could have been away on goal though.

I agree he needs more through balls; that appeared to be his strength in France.

The tactics are puzzling, and makes you wonder why he was bought unless Emery is indeed a caretaker. (Vieira situation?) But surely if you’re a big player, you get yourself involved and start doing things that may, or may not, fit the strategy. If it works, who’d have a go?

As it is, he’s allowing people like me (who know very little about the tictacs of the modern game; I’m just one level up from AG, that’s how bad I am) to add ??????s after his name.

Hi John

He scored a load of goals last season so I reckon the finishing is down to confidence and needing to find his form in the PL. He could definitely work harder. There have been glimpses though. He had Liverpool worried.

As for our tactics I haven't a clue what Emery is trying to do. Constantly chopping and changing and no recognisable style of play.

Fingers crossed he finds form soon.

Post #503282  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:25 pm 

I wasn't particularly excited by Emery's appointment, feeling there were better men for Arsenal, but even as a sceptic it does seem a little early to be flying the airplanes. We qualified for Europe and made the Europa final last season, which was more than most expected. We are 4th in the league and still in all cups so far. Bar something catastrophic I'd give him the rest of this campaign. If it is two years, no trophy or ECL placing, then fair enough, adios amigo.

Post #503283  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:04 pm 

For new managers I wouldn’t mind us going for an up and coming young coach with fresh ideas. I think Nagelsmann at Leipzig is one to watch

Post #503284  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:42 pm 

Gnabry looks useful

Post #503285  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:43 pm 

Niall wrote:
Gnabry looks useful

I wish we could have hung on to hom somehow.

Post #503286  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:45 pm 

Gnabry Hat-trick
Spurs 2-5 Bayern

Post #503287  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Gnabry Hat-trick
Spurs 2-5 Bayern

Keep up Rich, 7-2 and Gnabry has 4
:53big-emoticons:

Post #503288  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:46 pm 

The planets are aligning for a move for Poch to Man Utd.
Tottenham fans are starting to look at him the same we looked at Wenger at the end and how some of you are at Emery..lol

Man Utd will see not a failed manager but the best manager Tottengam has had for decades and took a club from good but not great into a perennial CL club and above both Chelsea and Arsenal.

Post #503289  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:53 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Gnabry Hat-trick
Spurs 2-5 Bayern

Keep up Rich, 7-2 and Gnabry has 4
:53big-emoticons:

There are no words to do it justice.....hilarious

Only 6 goals from glory :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #503290  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:58 pm 

A masterclass from Gnabry and Lewandowski tonight.

Reminded me of the drubbings we got at the hands of Bayern.

A stark reminder, though, of just how far we have fallen behind the top CL teams.

Bayern looked fitter, sharper, stronger and quicker than Tottenham and no doubt they would have given us a similar thrashing.

Post #503291  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:59 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

What I don’t get is why they dont discuss the issue with the Irish PM Leo, brainstorm possible solutions then present a jointly agreed plan to the EU to comply with.

Johnson is reneging on the commitments the UK already made with Europe (and therefore with ROI) under Theresa May and actively pursuing objectives that seem on the outside to be designed to bring about a "no deal" scenario. Either that, or they are still hoping the other countries in the EU will throw Ireland under the bus in order to avoid no deal - something which currently seems very unlikely to happen.

Norhing is agreed until it is all agreed. It was not ratified by Parliament so can only be described as Theresa's rantings. It was an awful agreement supported by more reainers than leavers Wothless cant.

Post #503292  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:00 pm 

Niall wrote:
Gnabry looks useful

Nah, he couldn't get in West Brom's team, not good enough according to Tony Pulis.

Post #503293  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:05 pm 

Watched the last 25 mins of the Spurs game. Yep they surrendered at the end. Bayern were denied an absolute nail on penalty & I have no understanding how VAR did not overturn it.

Post #503294  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:10 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:
I'm disgusted mate, but I can't see the EU buying it. Hopefully the opposition get their act together and vote him out. Put Jeremy in and extend again. Then hopefully Labour's offer to the people will come through at a general election but I'm giving up hope in the English populace throwing that lot out.

It’s appalling

What I don’t get is why they dont discuss the issue with the Irish PM Leo, brainstorm possible solutions then present a jointly agreed plan to the EU to comply with.

It’s just throwing crap at a wall hoping something would stick.

No chance of voting him out he’d win any election right now and many voters in England still believe he’s acting in their interests despite giving that American bint 100k for a shag basically. I’m not saying that girl was a pig but I was speaking to her brother Perky once and he told me that she’s had more balls bounced on her head than Kenny Dalglish.

Whole things a mess

I can’t allow you to get away with your comments about this alleged victim of a crime. The question is not about her background but as to whether the leader of your country committed a criminal offence. Your attitude is a disgrace. What if it was your daughter or sister - would that be okay.

Post #503295  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:16 pm 

Some of the finishing of Bayern today was so clinical....just stunning, hitting the corners, hard and true and from distance as well.

Great to see some classic wing play and some very simple direct balls over the top to a winger making a well timed run. Football can be very simple sometimes. Wish we’d use this tactic more. Hang on the shoulder of the last defender and look for the ball over the top

Post #503296  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:25 pm 

My guess unless they win a trophy and my guess is either the FA Cup, Europa or CL, he is gone. I don't even think the league cup is good enough anymore.
My guess is making the CL is no longer good enough. If he doesn't make the CL he is gone. The only thing that may save a non top 4 finish is if he wins the FA cup or a European cup...maybe the league cup...maybe but I have my doubts on that.
If we finish ahead of him in the top 4 and no trophy that may do him in. Chelsea finishing ahead of them will not sit well but definitely if we finish ahead of them it will be the nail in the coffin.
Drubbings like this will only sharpen the knives that are already out. And it won't be lost on the fans that a former Arsenal player scored a hattrick on them.

Poch's days are numbered and I think if/when he goes, Tottenham will sink back down the table ....where they belong.

Post #503297  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:47 pm 

The Real Madrid result is even more shocking.

Post #503298  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:02 pm 

socrates wrote:

A stark reminder, though, of just how far we have fallen behind the top CL teams.

Bayern looked fitter, sharper, stronger and quicker than Tottenham and no doubt they would have given us a similar thrashing.

We lost 1-5 against Bayern twice, home and away in the 2016/17 season which was a year before our worst season under Wenger. We did not concede seven against Bayern, and Tottenham’s 2-7 loss against them tonight was at their home ground.

However much people are enjoying having a moan about Emery, we are better under him now than we were then. I think there’s every doubt we’d concede seven at home to Bayern because we have improved in my view.

I was stunned although not that surprised when I read the negativity here following the draw at Old Trafford. I felt we played okay. They are well behind the levels they attained under Ferguson, but Manchester United away is never going to be an easy three points. Am I right in thinking they beat Chelsea 4-0 at Old Trafford this season?

I believe we were just about the better team for a match that with home advantage Manchester United started the game as clear favourites (according to Talksport). As a rule bookmakers make so much money because their odds reflect the most likely outcomes, while many gamblers risk their money on longer odds bets that are less likely to occur. I reckon it was over optimistic to demand Arsenal winning last night and a draw wasn’t a bad result. Moreover, deserving to win (Saka, who otherwise played well, missed a sitter to get the three points), implies Arsenal performed above expectations according to bookmaker’s (think it was Paddy Power) odds.

In short, I thought some people overreacted and moaned unjustifiably. We’re in fourth place after seven games, three of which were against Liverpool, Manchester United (both away as well) and Tottenham (at home). I see that as a pretty solid start in a run of seven games that included three against tough opponents.

Post #503299  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:44 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The Real Madrid result is even more shocking.

Poch will be at RM or United by the end of the season, that is odds-on now. Would prefer RM as he's a decent manager and I think at United with serious money, plus I wouldn't be surprised if he nicked Eriksen (and Kane!) they'll be far more likely to be better than us again.

Unforunately I think United is more likely..

Post #503300  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:56 pm 

I know its The Sun but....thoughts? If he does, I really, really hope he does well and not tarnish his legacy.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -ac-milan/
ONE IN A MIL Arsenal icon Arsene Wenger set for sensational return to management with AC Milan to link up with pal Ivan Gazidis

Post #503301  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:01 pm 

I see more United than RM going for Poch. RM will look for a more iconic, famous manager. It's usually their style.
I think you are right that he could do very well at Man Utd. He's put together a great squad with limited funds. Imagine what he'd do with their resources? But something tells me Man Utd is such a mess, its going to be like an oil tanker turning in the ocean. It will take a while to turn that around. Man Utd fans I know say the manager also gets a lot of interference from the suits in the top offices. Lots of meddling. Man Utd boards are more upset at certain executives than OGS.

Liverpool has the right kind of American owner. They 1. respected the traditions at Liverpool. 2. Spent money 3. Hired the best people possible to manage an run the club and left them alone.

The Glazers as it turns out, are not as being criticized as they were when they first bought the club. Largely in part because they kept out of the day to day and opened their wallets.

Post #503302  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
Some of the finishing of Bayern today was so clinical....just stunning, hitting the corners, hard and true and from distance as well.

Great to see some classic wing play and some very simple direct balls over the top to a winger making a well timed run. Football can be very simple sometimes. Wish we’d use this tactic more. Hang on the shoulder of the last defender and look for the ball over the top

Everyone should know Bayern are my footballing ‘bit on the side’; very firmly my second team. I might have mentioned before that as a result I keep an eye on Bayern fans’ forums and chat rooms (or those that can be translated to English anyway) to keep up to date with the club and views of their supporters.

Many of their fans absolutely hate Kovac, almost to the point of devoting their lives to moaning about him what seems like all day everyday. I know Tottenham and Chelsea fans and have been told about their clubs’ forums and I’ve come to the conclusion that moaning about managers and head coaches is what modern football fans generally do these days. Boy is Pochettino being moaned about this season. With club legends it takes a bit longer so Lampard is still being treated quite lightly; but my guess is it won’t be too long before they are willing to turn on him, depending on Chelsea’s performances on the pitch. My guess is that’s what is happening with OGS on Manchester United chat rooms.

So I’m not surprised Arsenal fans are turning against Emery so soon. He wasn’t a club legend either. But I’m not as willing to do it myself yet. I think he has made good progress. Our playing squad is stronger now (I have not given up on Pépé as I think he is still adjusting to Premier League football), we generally get the ball forward more quickly (which I’m happy about), and I think team spirit has improved as shown by the fight back against Villa.

Everything isn’t perfect but I feel the criticism of Emery has been over the top. But it represents a trend amongst fans of many clubs these days, and I suspect it’s a reflection of modern society in this internet age where so many use social media sites. I honestly believe society is less patient now with instant satisfaction increasingly in demand. Some may think that’s a good thing while others will consider it a bad thing. But from where I’m sitting, it is happening and I wonder if the way Arsenal fans have turned against Emery is simply little more than a small part of a modern trend?

Post #503303  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:51 am 

Rich wrote:
For new managers I wouldn’t mind us going for an up and coming young coach with fresh ideas. I think Nagelsmann at Leipzig is one to watch

Patrick Vieira.

Post #503304  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:26 am 

Nice result Bayern :53big-emoticons:

Post #503305  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:53 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It’s appalling

It’s just throwing crap at a wall hoping something would stick.

No chance of voting him out he’d win any election right now and many voters in England still believe he’s acting in their interests despite giving that American bint 100k for a shag basically. I’m not saying that girl was a pig but I was speaking to her brother Perky once and he told me that she’s had more balls bounced on her head than Kenny Dalglish.

Whole things a mess

I can’t allow you to get away with your comments about this alleged victim of a crime. The question is not about her background but as to whether the leader of your country committed a criminal offence. Your attitude is a disgrace. What if it was your daughter or sister - would that be okay.

Your mixing up the stories with Arcuri and the journalist. Arcuri wasn’t the victim of crime (but maybe the beneficiary of one !)

However if it allows you to stay on your high horse then please simply crack on!

Post #503306  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:56 am 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Patrick Vieira.

How is Vieira as a manager by the way? What's his style of play? Is he doing well considering the club he's managing?

Post #503307  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:12 am 

:22encouragement: :53big-emoticons:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... goals.html
'North London is RED!!!': Former Arsenal man Serge Gnabry rubs salt in Tottenham's gaping wounds by taunting his old rivals after scoring FOUR times in Bayern Munich's 7-2 demolition of Spurs

Post #503308  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:27 am 

Rumours that all is not well in the Totts’ dressing room - and the fallouts aren’t about football. Those of us old enough will remember how their ‘61 Double team broke up very quickly, reportedly because of, amongst other things, extra-marital shaggery.

Google ’Vertonghen’ ’Erickson’ and ’wife’.

Post #503309  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Your mixing up the stories with Arcuri and the journalist. Arcuri wasn’t the victim of crime (but maybe the beneficiary of one !)

However if it allows you to stay on your high horse then please simply crack on!

You are probably correct that I was mixing up the stories but it was unclear from your post to what you were referring of the many indiscretions by your PM. However I will stay on my high horse because your comments on women are inappropriate. In fact having looked at the story on Arcuri both of them appear to have questions to answer. Is there any need to describe people as you did. The internet does not give you a libel free zone.

Post #503310  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:21 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You are probably correct that I was mixing up the stories but it was unclear from your post to what you were referring of the many indiscretions by your PM. However I will stay on my high horse because your comments on women are inappropriate. In fact having looked at the story on Arcuri both of them appear to have questions to answer. Is there any need to describe people as you did. The internet does not give you a libel free zone.

You really need to lighten up.

Post #503311  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:26 am 

DHD wrote:
Rumours that all is not well in the Totts’ dressing room - and the fallouts aren’t about football. Those of us old enough will remember how their ‘61 Double team broke up very quickly, reportedly because of, amongst other things, extra-marital shaggery.

It looks to be coming apart doesn’t it. Also throw into the mix all their contract rebels.

Those Gnabry finishes were sensational so composed. No burger stands wiped out

Post #503312  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:02 am 

DHD wrote:

I’m sure you remember the swap deal with us getting Jimmy Robertson and Tottenham getting David Jenkins. Robertson was better than Jenkins so in football terms, we got the best of the deal. But I was told many years ago that Bill Nicholson approved the deal because he wanted Robertson out the club. The reason was that Jimmy was having an affair with a team mate’s wife. History repeating itself, maybe?

As an aside, of the players who have played for both North London clubs, only two have scored for Arsenal against Tottenham and for Tottenham against Arsenal. Adebayor is the more recent one who everyone remembers. But Jimmy Robertson was the other. I recall Willie Young and David Bentley scoring for Tottenham against Arsenal, but neither of them scored for us against Tottenham.

Post #503313  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:20 am 

DHD wrote:

They made a decent run at the title by staying in the hunt for a while last season and I think peaked as a team. 3rd and a CL final is a great season. It's not going to get any better I think for them and with the new stadium and not being able to spend, while having their best players transfer targets for other clubs, its not going to be easy for them to remain as competitive as they have been.

Post #503314  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:26 am 

DHD wrote:

Oh well then...

https://www.sickchirpse.com/reports-cla ... sens-wife/

Post #503315  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:27 am 

Bernard wrote:
Everything isn’t perfect but I feel the criticism of Emery has been over the top.

I agree with this. I was very critical after the Villa game, and there are many things we need to improve, but the way Emery is being talked about as some sort of clueless figure who doesn’t get a single decision right just comes off as knee-jerk to me.

A good example is some criticism I saw against him because Tierney wasn’t involved in the squad going to Old Trafford. We have a whole medical staff and team full of coaches who I’m sure are doing a thorough job to determine whether a player coming back from a long term injury should be involved in a match, and I don’t see how fans can have any clue about whether that player is ready or not.

Another example is how Özil is now seen as someone who must start. A player that a big portion of the fanbase didn’t want to see anywhere near the team the last 1-2 years.

Post #503316  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:26 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

We lost 1-5 against Bayern twice, home and away in the 2016/17 season which was a year before our worst season under Wenger. We did not concede seven against Bayern, and Tottenham’s 2-7 loss against them tonight was at their home ground.

However much people are enjoying having a moan about Emery, we are better under him now than we were then. I think there’s every doubt we’d concede seven at home to Bayern because we have improved in my view.

I was stunned although not that surprised when I read the negativity here following the draw at Old Trafford. I felt we played okay. They are well behind the levels they attained under Ferguson, but Manchester United away is never going to be an easy three points. Am I right in thinking they beat Chelsea 4-0 at Old Trafford this season?

I believe we were just about the better team for a match that with home advantage Manchester United started the game as clear favourites (according to Talksport). As a rule bookmakers make so much money because their odds reflect the most likely outcomes, while many gamblers risk their money on longer odds bets that are less likely to occur. I reckon it was over optimistic to demand Arsenal winning last night and a draw wasn’t a bad result. Moreover, deserving to win (Saka, who otherwise played well, missed a sitter to get the three points), implies Arsenal performed above expectations according to bookmaker’s (think it was Paddy Power) odds.

In short, I thought some people overreacted and moaned unjustifiably. We’re in fourth place after seven games, three of which were against Liverpool, Manchester United (both away as well) and Tottenham (at home). I see that as a pretty solid start in a run of seven games that included three against tough opponents.

I'm not sure it is any kind of knee-jerk reaction, though, Bernard.

I began to have serious reservations about Emery months ago, mainly due to his team selections, negative tactics, the general way we approached games and the lack of any real style or identity to our play. The dismal run at the end of last season given a relatively friendly fixture list just compounded those earlier reservations. Obviously the players were very much to blame as well but I think the buck stops with the manager when you fail so miserably in those circumstances.

We had what looks like a good summer window, with some promising purchases and a clear-out of some dead-wood so I don't believe there are any excuses this season. I can't honestly say I have been impressed with what I've witnessed so far, once again poor team selections, systems and tactics have not helped matters. Without Aubameyang, how many points would we have?

I do not enjoy watching us, the way we play is negative, boring and predictable. You say we have improved but our defence is as bad, if not worse, than under Wenger and that is the one key area everyone expected Emery to address.

On the plus side he has given opportunities to Guendouzi, Willock, Saka and Nelson so I think he is not afraid to give youth a chance. However, I am just not sure he is suited to a big club where a certain style is expected along with results. He seems more concerned with negating the threats of opponents than in imposing our own game on the opposition. The polar opposite of Wenger in some respects.

I am not sure the players fully understand the game-plans and instructions he gives them either, given the lack of cohesion and structure in our play.

I hope I am wrong and he turns out to be a great Arsenal manager, I am just not convinced by what I have seen so far.

Post #503317  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:18 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to take into account in the future. At the moment I am just filing it in an appropriate place.

Post #503318  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:19 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Thank you for your feedback. I will be sure to take into account in the future. At the moment I am just filing it in an appropriate place.

No worries

I can give some advice on where you should file it if it helps

Post #503319  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:27 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

No worries

I can give some advice on where you should file it if it helps

Thanks for the generous offer but I know you are pretty busy with your volunteering at the local women’s shelter, so please don’t put yourself out.

Post #503320  Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:22 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I'm not sure it is any kind of knee-jerk reaction, though, Bernard.

I began to have serious reservations about Emery months ago, mainly due to his team selections, negative tactics, the general way we approached games and the lack of any real style or identity to our play. The dismal run at the end of last season given a relatively friendly fixture list just compounded those earlier reservations. Obviously the players were very much to blame as well but I think the buck stops with the manager when you fail so miserably in those circumstances.

We had what looks like a good summer window, with some promising purchases and a clear-out of some dead-wood so I don't believe there are any excuses this season. I can't honestly say I have been impressed with what I've witnessed so far, once again poor team selections, systems and tactics have not helped matters. Without Aubameyang, how many points would we have?

I do not enjoy watching us, the way we play is negative, boring and predictable. You say we have improved but our defence is as bad, if not worse, than under Wenger and that is the one key area everyone expected Emery to address.

On the plus side he has given opportunities to Guendouzi, Willock, Saka and Nelson so I think he is not afraid to give youth a chance. However, I am just not sure he is suited to a big club where a certain style is expected along with results. He seems more concerned with negating the threats of opponents than in imposing our own game on the opposition. The polar opposite of Wenger in some respects.

I am not sure the players fully understand the game-plans and instructions he gives them either, given the lack of cohesion and structure in our play.

I hope I am wrong and he turns out to be a great Arsenal manager, I am just not convinced by what I have seen so far.

To confirm, Since the start of the year nealry every Emery managed Arsenal stat is worse than Wengers final year. Less shots on goal, less goals and In defence, way more shots on goal and more goals conceeded. I'm not sure how that can be spun any other way. And to Hazukis point who on Earth thinks Özil should start!?.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12580, 12581, 12582, 12583, 12584, 12585, 12586 ... 14269  Next