Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], Rich, warrior and 154 guests

Post #499961  Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:03 pm 

Was Alex Morgan's celebration disrespectful? I didn't even know what she was doing when I saw it.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/07/world- ... elebration

Alex Morgan trolls England after World Cup goal by sipping tea after scoring

Post #499962  Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:03 pm 

Adidas Responds to Anti-Semitic Messaging on Arsenal Soccer Jerseys
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/adidas- ... 29175.html

Post #499963  Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:34 pm 

Media saying arsenal have up to £70m for the zaha deal. Also saying Barca are offering us Malcom on a season loan with an option to buy. If that was true I’m sure there would be a hefty loan fee considering we spooned £2m their way for half a season of Suarez, and the option to buy would be something like £50m.

For £70m we could do a lot rather than put it all in on zaha. Tierney, Fekir and Saliba would be fairly close to £70m for all 3.

Post #499964  Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:49 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I’m happy to admit I’m looking for excuses not to do the sums myself but this site said he scored 1 goal every 124 minutes. Yes it includes cups, but I think cups should come into the calculation. Why exclude them? Cup goals are included in goal scorers’ stats. I see Henry, Wright and van Persie as Arsenal’s best goal scorers of the modern era and they all would have scored plenty of cup goals within their aggregates. Unless of course you’re just trying to make his figures look worse than they are?

https://www.fctables.com/players/danny_welbeck-224739/

No way is he a goal every 2 games striker. You can look at minutes played but it's almost pointless. 16 league goals in 5 seasons at Arsenal. Great work-rate but ultimately an injury prone player who doesn't really score much.

His stats are made worse by ten minute sub appearances counting as an appearance in his goal scoring per game ratio. I stand by what I said earlier about his specific qualities. Had he been fit during our Premier League run in, I honestly think we would have been more likely to finish in the top four.

Post #499965  Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:34 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

This is a classic example of a brand name being lazy. They get someone to create an app that probably has some value. But they then fail to put in place moderators to ensure that what is published is appropriate. I am not sure that Arsenal should not take some legal action against them over this. This has embarrassed our brand name and caused damage to the clubs reputation. Time for our club to start stepping up in the commercial area.

Post #499966  Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:45 pm 

Goonie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Chelsea released Cahill, Higuain, GK Eduardo, Kyle Scott and Rob Green.
Slim pickings but should we go after any of them?

We are supposedly interested in Yacine Ibrahim. Some interesting players available for free according to this:
https://www.transfermarkt.us/statistik/ ... osespieler

Sami Nasri, Carroll, Cahill, Sturridge, Herrera - I nominate Nasri - would love to see his welcome back to the club. Before we are inundated with posts - I don't really mean it.

Post #499967  Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:39 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I nominate Nasri - would love to see his welcome back to the club. Before we are inundated with posts - I don't really mean it.

Is Nasri not staying at West Ham then? I assume not. He was at Arsenal three years. Half a season he was great, half a season he was rubbish (both halves of his last season), and he was average for the other two. Lots of basic talent, but routinely underwhelming on the pitch.

Post #499968  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:15 am 

Zaha had an ok year but don't think he's worth $70m and no-one else appears to be interested. Didn't think that much of him in previous years either as he seemed to be a cross between Walcott and the Ox with little end product. Marginal improvement year on year but nothing outstanding.

I'm ok for Arsenal to keep trotting out the $45m budget line because it may help stop clubs adding a Premier League tax to our bids. Whether it's true or not remains to be seen but I hope we're not going to be sold the "Youth for the future" *%^@ again.

I'm ok with bringing through young players but we need a solid foundation of committed experience to hold the team together when the going gets tough.

Underwhelming so far and if Özil and Mustafi are still Arsenal players next season then I'm going to puke.

Post #499969  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:03 am 

Rich wrote:
Media saying...Barca are offering us Malcom on a season loan with an option to buy.

Hope this is true

Post #499970  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:56 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Zaha had an ok year but don't think he's worth $70m and no-one else appears to be interested. Didn't think that much of him in previous years either as he seemed to be a cross between Walcott and the Ox with little end product. Marginal improvement year on year but nothing outstanding.

I'm ok for Arsenal to keep trotting out the $45m budget line because it may help stop clubs adding a Premier League tax to our bids. Whether it's true or not remains to be seen but I hope we're not going to be sold the "Youth for the future" *%^@ again.

I'm ok with bringing through young players but we need a solid foundation of committed experience to hold the team together when the going gets tough.

Underwhelming so far and if Özil and Mustafi are still Arsenal players next season then I'm going to puke.

Got to say 70m for Zaha would be a gross overpayment. 40 at most.

Post #499971  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:59 am 

grantyboy wrote:

Getting rid of those two won’t turn things around. Mustafi didn’t play a single second of the final against Chelsea and we were terrible defensively. Would we have been any worse if Mustafi had played instead of Koscielny? My own opinion is no we wouldn’t. He made Giroud look like Ronaldo at his peak, and that isn’t Giroud’s level now and it never has been.

As the squad stands our first choice central defense if we play a back four is Sokratis and Holding, when the latter is fit. They’re both good players yet neither are at the top level, or anywhere near it. I like Sokratis but he’s beginning to leave his peak behind him in Dortmund. Holding can no longer be seen as a promising youngster. I’m firmly in DHD’s camp on Holding. Decent but not great and somewhat over rated by some. A second tier defender who at a big club should be a squad back up more than a first choice.

Post #499972  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:08 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

This is a classic example of a brand name being lazy. They get someone to create an app that probably has some value. But they then fail to put in place moderators to ensure that what is published is appropriate. I am not sure that Arsenal should not take some legal action against them over this. This has embarrassed our brand name and caused damage to the clubs reputation. Time for our club to start stepping up in the commercial area.

You might as well criticise manufacturers of writing paper then and make them responsible for what is actually written on it.

The problem is the scarily large minority who seem to be mentally deranged. It is worrying to be made aware that such people are all around us.

Post #499973  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:52 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Media saying...Barca are offering us Malcom on a season loan with an option to buy.

Hope this is true

Interesting article on that here : https://paininthearsenal.com/2019/07/04 ... nt-malcom/

Post #499974  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:14 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

You might as well criticise manufacturers of writing paper then and make them responsible for what is actually written on it.

The problem is the scarily large minority who seem to be mentally deranged. It is worrying to be made aware that such people are all around us.

It is different. It is a product they put out there but you need to have some responsibility for what they allow to be shown on their site. The younger generation seem to think that you can say anything you want online and have no consequences if they breach the law. I was looking at a local news site today and one of the comments was clearly defamatory and certainly not fair comment or in the public interest. The law is totally lagging behind as technology has developed.

Post #499975  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:35 pm 

Wishing the forum a very happy 4th of July celebration. I know all of you are in the backyard having a bbq right now. :1laughter:

I'm obviously trolling and being naughty having a bit of fun. The disclaimer are for those that take things way too seriously. Thankfully the ones without a sense of humor I can't see.

Post #499976  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:01 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Wishing the forum a very happy 4th of July celebration. I know all of you are in the backyard having a bbq right now. :1laughter:

I'm obviously trolling and being naughty having a bit of fun. The disclaimer are for those that take things way too seriously. Thankfully the ones without a sense of humor I can't see.

Happy 4th of July American

How about an amnesty where you unblock everyone you blocked and make amends

Post #499977  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:03 pm 

warrior wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Hope this is true

Interesting article on that here : https://paininthearsenal.com/2019/07/04 ... nt-malcom/

Now it's (rumoured) Arse want 31 yr old Marcelo as he wants to leave Real Madrid.

Post #499978  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:14 pm 

grantyboy wrote:

Like Rich said, 70m would allow us to get a couple of defenders and maybe even a midfielder.

Özil started only 20 league games last season. I guess more of the same this coming season. Our highest paid player so we can't afford not to use him.

Post #499979  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:30 pm 

Stoke City are showing the way to do it.

The manager signed six new players last week. Now he’s told eight others that they are not part of his plans for the season and not to bother going on the club’s pre-season trip to the Netherlands.

I’m guessing that none of them are on 300K per week then.
If only life were that simple.

Post #499980  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:16 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Post #499981  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:57 pm 

I am actually not a fan of the holiday for a myriad of reasons.

Anyway, interesting article about Barca and Malcom. They usually get the best of us in transfer deals.

Post #499982  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:19 pm 

What is concerning about our inactivity in the transfer market is the apparent shift of focus to Zaha.

The defence needs a total rebuild not in the future but right now. Koscielny was well past it last year and I do not want to see him limp around the field again for the club. Lets say Tierney arrives, then with no injuries at all in the squad our best team would be Tierney, (Sokartis/Holding/Mustafi any 2) and Bellerin.

Plus Tierney IMO is injury prone, never played in a competitive league and if he is so great how come other clubs with obviously more funds are not trying to sign him.

Forget Zaha and start looking at a proper defence rebuild plus a better creative midfielder who has some pace. We are no longer 2-3 good players away from a successful team we are 8-9 fit, skillful, injury free players away from it.

Post #499983  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:18 am 

Ospina has joined Napoli. New GK or sufficent to go with Martinez, Iliev or Macey? Think we can get away with a relatively inexperienced 2nd GK.

Post #499984  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:59 am 

Goonie wrote:
Ospina has joined Napoli. New GK or sufficent to go with Martinez, Iliev or Macey? Think we can get away with a relatively inexperienced 2nd GK.

So an international goalkeeper aged 30 is worth 3.1mil or have we been suckered again.

Post #499985  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:05 am 

Some good news in the money stakes

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... r-16534809

Post #499986  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:05 am 

It always amazes me every summer how quickly after the season closes when we have our first summer friendly.

Interesting the same person owns both sides in the Rapids game. Kroenke lining his pockets.

Post #499987  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:09 am 

There is some hope for the future of America. The social media of American millennials I know were primarily against the Trump's USSR-esque military parade and posts about why we shouldn't be celebrating the 4th of July. Many references to foreign conflicts. The sad fact of the matter is Americans under 30 have only known an un-ending war in their memory and those who are minors have had an ongoing war their entire lives. (Afghanistan).

Only 83 years to go to beat the European record for "longest" war. (Hundred Years war).

Post #499988  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:22 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Goonie wrote:

So an international goalkeeper aged 30 is worth 3.1mil or have we been suckered again.

I understand what you’re getting at Gaz. But I’m just pleased to see the back of him, whether or not we should have got a bit more in the transfer fee. I’d have more confidence in a 90 year old confined to a wheelchair reaching a cross into the box than I would with Ospina. Good riddance to him.

Post #499989  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:57 am 

For years every time I see that one of our targets automatically becomes a Tottenham target, I think they are trolling us in some way? I know good talent is recognized by most sides but with Tottemham, I suspect subterfuge more times than not.

When we were linked to Saliba, not a peep Tottenham were interested as well, until it starts to get close to a deal.

Post #499990  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I understand what you’re getting at Gaz. But I’m just pleased to see the back of him, whether or not we should have got a bit more in the transfer fee. I’d have more confidence in a 90 year old confined to a wheelchair reaching a cross into the box than I would with Ospina. Good riddance to him.

Always thought he was just okay. Our defense has tendered to make most keepers look nervous and unsure. But his ability on crosses did look dodgy.

However did you know (from Wikpedia) that
"earned him a place on the FIFA Ballon d'Or longlist for the 2015" and he played 70 times for the club. Given we only paid 3mil for him I am not sure what you expected.

Post #499991  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:07 am 

I'm just catching up on Monday's Arseblog Arsecast and they're explaining the state of our finances. Man, we are in such a mess. If we don't get CL this year, we could be in big trouble for a few seasons. We're getting pulled away from the other clubs in the top 6 financially.

Post #499992  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:58 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Always thought he was just okay. Our defense has tendered to make most keepers look nervous and unsure. But his ability on crosses did look dodgy.

"earned him a place on the FIFA Ballon d'Or longlist for the 2015" and he played 70 times for the club. Given we only paid 3mil for him I am not sure what you expected.

Well the 2014/15 season was Ospina’s first at the club. He made 22 starts in all competitions with 1 sub appearance. He made fewer appearances in the league than Szczesny, with Szczesny also being selected for the FA Cup final when Ospina was on the bench. If your second choice keeper can get on the long list for the Ballon d’Or, then it must be a bloody long list. Do semi-decent players from a Barnet Sunday League pub team have a chance of getting on it?

Post #499993  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:10 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Well the 2014/15 season was Ospina’s first at the club. He made 22 starts in all competitions with 1 sub appearance. He made fewer appearances in the league than Szczesny, with Szczesny also being selected for the FA Cup final when Ospina was on the bench. If your second choice keeper can get on the long list for the Ballon d’Or, then it must be a bloody long list. Do semi-decent players from a Barnet Sunday League pub team have a chance of getting on it?

I'm with Bernard on this one. Ospina was poor.

As for this season, I think we should give Martinez a chance as No.2, he excelled in the Championship last season if you believe what you read. We certainly shouldn't be spending any money on a No.2 goalkeeper when money is apparently so tight.

Post #499994  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:18 am 

Darren wrote:
I'm just catching up on Monday's Arseblog Arsecast and they're explaining the state of our finances. Man, we are in such a mess. If we don't get CL this year, we could be in big trouble for a few seasons. We're getting pulled away from the other clubs in the top 6 financially.

Everyone knows from my posts here how anti-Wenger I was. I signed online petitions supporting his sacking, and turned up for a few of the pre-match demonstrations supporting Wenger’s dismissal.

If taking Wenger back as head coach was the cost of Kroenke selling up, I’d go for it. Kroenke being the owner at the same time as Wenger being the manager was the nightmare scenario. If I had he choice between having Wenger as manager with a different owner to Kroenke, or Stan staying as owner but Wenger not being the head coach, I’d choose Wenger returning as manager.

I see Stan as the bigger long-term threat to the club’s future.

Post #499995  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:25 am 

Darren wrote:

Impossible. The LA Rams are doing well and have the same owner. :7laughter:

Post #499996  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:37 pm 

My Celtic supporting cousin seems to think that Tierney has already signed for us and it’s just not been announced.

They have signed 3 players already including a left back and are being linked with more and it’s abnormal spending for them

Post #499997  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:39 pm 

Darren wrote:

If you found that depressing, I would advise you to avoid Swiss Ramble’s analysis. I hadn’t realised how poorly run the business side of the club became under Gazidis.

Post #499998  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:41 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Indeed - and he played a big part in our FA Cup Final win over Chelsea.

Post #499999  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:03 pm 

We should be getting a £4-5m fee due to a 30% sell on clause we inserted for Bennacer when he left us. He’s about to move to Milan for £15m

Post #500000  Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:04 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I am actually not a fan of the holiday for a myriad of reasons.

Anyway, interesting article about Barca and Malcom. They usually get the best of us in transfer deals.

Selling them Hleb, Song and Vermaelen worked out quite well for us

[ 571650 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12497, 12498, 12499, 12500, 12501, 12502, 12503 ... 14292  Next