Fixtures Sunday November 25th - AFC Bournemouth - Vitality Stadium - 1:30 Pm

Kick-Off

        Injuries            Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:42 pm

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests

 
Post #499521  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27184

gooner7 wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I dug around a few streaming sites to watch Fever Pitch again. Just for one scene. The scene where he asks his father to take him to see the Arsenal and his father said "I thought you'd outgrow it by now"...."I'll never outgrow it!!"


AG, can you send the link?

sent.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499522  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27184

Rumors abound of Wenger going to PSG or even Bayern Munich. If either happens I wish him well. I really do. My fear is he will crash and burn and if he does, I won't be surprised. He seems way too stubborn to change things about himself and his tactics, etc. In today's footballing world you pretty much have to win from the onset, especially at the huge mega clubs. PSG and Bayern the league title is a given, its the CL he will be judged on and he's never won it.
Personally I think a national team job suits Wenger better. And not a major power like France either. But a smaller European side or even an African side. Right now, I think he needs to get back to basics. Arsenal has been his world for 22 years and then move up from there.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499523  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27184

Non football but I found it fascinating. Russian hacking, geo politics, etc,
https://www.pbs.org/video/malcolm-nance ... gVVAnJ6a9o


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499524  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 7714
Location: Singapore

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

AG, can you send the link?

sent.


Thanks

_________________
Time for Emery to right the wrongs


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499525  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27184

What hasn't been talked about much is just how much we missed having Santi in the side while he was out. He was the oil in the machine prior and we never really recovered after. Özil did a decent job in spurts but had Santi stayed healthy, we would have fared much better. I'm not saying we'd win the league or anything like that, but I think we might have even avoided 6th place.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499526  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Posts: 4590
Location: ɹǝpu∩uʍop

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rumors abound of Wenger going to PSG or even Bayern Munich. If either happens I wish him well. I really do.


I'd rather he go to City, Chelsea or Liverpool tbh :icon_mrgreen:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499527  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27184

Naughty Warrior, very naughty. :99big-emoticons:

Hmmm...what if Wenger joined a mega club, became wildly successful winning the CL in his first or 2nd season. I wonder how the gooners (myself included) who wanted him out would feel that he should have been given a bit more time.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499528  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27184

Giroud to West Ham? Hmmm...he's done well at Chelsea but he is 32 and West Ham is the place old pros go to die. lol

https://playingfor90.com/2018/10/19/for ... o-seasons/


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499529  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 6529

AmericanGooner wrote:
Giroud to West Ham? Hmmm...he's done well at Chelsea but he is 32 and West Ham is the place old pros go to die. lol

How well has he done well at Chelsea? There he's scored 5 goals in 26 games, a ratio of 1 goal every 5.2 games. Welbeck has scored 31 goals in 121 games for Arsenal, a significantly better ratio of 1 goal every 3.9 games.

But that hasn't stopped some Arsenal fans moaning that Welbeck doesn't score enough, so imagine what they'd say about Giroud if they supported Chelsea.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499530  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 6914

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Giroud to West Ham? Hmmm...he's done well at Chelsea but he is 32 and West Ham is the place old pros go to die. lol

How well has he done well at Chelsea? There he's scored 5 goals in 26 games, a ratio of 1 goal every 5.2 games. Welbeck has scored 31 goals in 121 games for Arsenal, a significantly better ratio of 1 goal every 3.9 games.

But that hasn't stopped some Arsenal fans moaning that Welbeck doesn't score enough, so imagine what they'd say about Giroud if they supported Chelsea.

Same issue he had at Arsenal. Very good link up player but his scoring record is poor. Better finisher than Welbeck though

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499531  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2021

AmericanGooner wrote:
Giroud to West Ham? Hmmm...he's done well at Chelsea but he is 32 and West Ham is the place old pros go to die. lol

https://playingfor90.com/2018/10/19/for ... o-seasons/

Most old pros have been going to the MLS to die out. :angel8:

_________________
'So sweet, but oh so vicious' .... Mae West about Owney Madden


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499532  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 1459

Has this shock Bayern press conference happened yet? I thought it was today at 11am BST??

_________________
'At Arsenal it was always the same 8 or 9 who stayed behind after training. And I guarantee if you do that you'll become a better player'


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499533  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 6529

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Same issue he had at Arsenal. Very good link up player but his scoring record is poor. Better finisher than Welbeck though

I'm not convinced Welbeck is a bad finisher. His goal per minutes on the pitch equates, from memory, to a goal every little more than every two games. Yes he has missed some sitters. But off hand I can't recall all that many.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499534  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 9755

Ash wrote:
Has this shock Bayern press conference happened yet? I thought it was today at 11am BST??


It has

They basically set up a press conference to have a go at the media for reporting their bad performances ! Nothing to do with Wenger

_________________
A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, 'With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way.
Arsene Wenger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499535  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 9755

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

I'm not convinced Welbeck is a bad finisher. His goal per minutes on the pitch equates, from memory, to a goal every little more than every two games. Yes he has missed some sitters. But off hand I can't recall all that many.

I think we are going to miss Welbeck more than Ramsey.

Very under rated player considering the role he does for the team.

_________________
A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, 'With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way.
Arsene Wenger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499536  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27184

Zed wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Giroud to West Ham? Hmmm...he's done well at Chelsea but he is 32 and West Ham is the place old pros go to die. lol

https://playingfor90.com/2018/10/19/for ... o-seasons/

Most old pros have been going to the MLS to die out. :angel8:

..and China


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499537  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27184

Is Bayern Munich doing their best Trump impression and calling the German media fake news? lol

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45915862


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499538  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:52 pm
Posts: 824
Location: Salisbury

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45921441

------------

I'm totally convinced we are set for World domination now.... :bs:

Really irks me when they pull out this nonsense about values, history and tradition, none of this has anything to do with Kroenke wanting to feather his already bloated nest which is what the self-sustaining model is really all about.

Good luck this season (because of the fans and a lesser extent the players) but I'd be a liar if I said I cared that much anymore, I like to treat people as they treat myself and we all know what Stan and co. think of us.

Whatever....


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499539  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27184

A lot of fans (and I count myself among them) don't really know exactly what Emery's tactics are.


Last edited by warrior on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fixed YouTube link


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499540  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5018
Location: Townsville Australia

AmericanGooner wrote:
A lot of fans (and I count myself among them) don't really know exactly what Emery's tactics are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myrOjVMEAds

I might be able to help you there. It is to win as many games & trophies as possible. No matter what it takes. You were probably too young for George Graham but I loved that winning feeling & if we could choke other teams to achieve it all the better. If you can achieve these aims with great football - brilliant but I still would rather win a game than have someone console me with - played well.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499541  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 7714
Location: Singapore

AmericanGooner wrote:
Naughty Warrior, very naughty. :99big-emoticons:

Hmmm...what if Wenger joined a mega club, became wildly successful winning the CL in his first or 2nd season. I wonder how the gooners (myself included) who wanted him out would feel that he should have been given a bit more time.


If he kept to the same philosophy in managing these mega teams, expect these teams to go backwards. If he changed his tack and became successful, then I'll call him a hypocrite. He stuck to his philosophy as if he can never bend his principles, and for that, the club and fans suffered.

The more time he had at Arsenal, the worse we will become. Stan and him is not a good formula.

_________________
Time for Emery to right the wrongs


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499542  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27184

I think Wenger's biggest asset is that he is a very smart man. I'd love to know his IQ and that's his biggest problem. He thinks he is smarter than everyone else and therefore doesn't need to rely on any other information than his own intelligence and thoughts.

I hope this time away from Arsenal and day to day football has made him think about what he did wrong and the strength to change if or when he is given the opportunity to manage again.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499543  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 6529

AmericanGooner wrote:
I think Wenger's biggest asset is that he is a very smart man. I'd love to know his IQ and that's his biggest problem. He thinks he is smarter than everyone else and therefore doesn't need to rely on any other information than his own intelligence and thoughts.

A high IQ, if Wenger has one, can be perfectly compatible with making bad decisions. I'd say the arrogant attitude you describe in the paragraph above, which is likely to lead to bad decisions, is compatible with pig-headed stupidity as much as intelligence.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499544  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 9755

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45921441

------------

I'm totally convinced we are set for World domination now.... :bs:

Really irks me when they pull out this nonsense about values, history and tradition, none of this has anything to do with Kroenke wanting to feather his already bloated nest which is what the self-sustaining.


How can the club harp on about values whilst forcing their smaller shareholders which were all lifelong supporters to sell their shares. They didn’t have to exercise this right and knew some of those shares had been in the club for decades and were treasured.

Anything they say from this point onwards about values and tradition is bollocks when you consider they did this. It means nothing

_________________
A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, 'With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way.
Arsene Wenger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499545  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 6529

TOP GUN wrote:
How can the club harp on about values whilst forcing their smaller shareholders which were all lifelong supporters to sell their shares. They didn’t have to exercise this right and knew some of those shares had been in the club for decades and were treasured.

Anything they say from this point onwards about values and tradition is bollocks when you consider they did this. It means nothing

As someone who had to sell up, I agree with you Top Gun. Also, Wilts made a good point. The self-sustaining strategy has more to do with Kroenke not having to sink his own money into the club more than sustaining long-term values.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499546  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 6914

Lads, you are essentially complaining about capitalism. Top level football has been big business for decades. Man City and Chelsea are the outliers here, not Arsenal. That's not to say that I don't have sympathy for you, Bernard, I do. But as you know, the markets don't work on sentiment.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499547  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 3973
Location: SE9

dec wrote:
Lads, you are essentially complaining about capitalism. Top level football has been big business for decades. Man City and Chelsea are the outliers here, not Arsenal. That's not to say that I don't have sympathy for you, Bernard, I do. But as you know, the markets don't work on sentiment.

What you say is true Dec but it does make it even more sick-making that the club are banging on about ‘history and tradition’.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499548  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27184

I liked him at one point but glad we never got Morata. Chelsea up 1-0 and Mourinho may be gone by Xmas if results keep going against him. No one expecting Man Utd to win but he has to leave with a draw.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499549  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 9755

dec wrote:
Lads, you are essentially complaining about capitalism. Top level football has been big business for decades. Man City and Chelsea are the outliers here, not Arsenal. That's not to say that I don't have sympathy for you, Bernard, I do. But as you know, the markets don't work on sentiment.


This scenario has nothing to do with capitalism. A small group of minor shareholders and lifelong arsenal fans can do nothing to affect his decision making and how he runs the club. So why then force them to sell their shares ? It’s peanuts to someone like Kroenke. An irrelevance.

And also fair enough if you do it however don’t give the big one about upholding tradition and values after doing it as you look something of a hypocrite and turd burglar to boot.

Just saying we need to just accept this stuff is like taking a dump in your hand and then slapping yourself and just shrugging oh well that’s life.

_________________
A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, 'With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way.
Arsene Wenger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499550  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 12542

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:
Lads, you are essentially complaining about capitalism. Top level football has been big business for decades. Man City and Chelsea are the outliers here, not Arsenal. That's not to say that I don't have sympathy for you, Bernard, I do. But as you know, the markets don't work on sentiment.


This scenario has nothing to do with capitalism. A small group of minor shareholders and lifelong arsenal fans can do nothing to affect his decision making and how he runs the club. So why then force them to sell their shares ? It’s peanuts to someone like Kroenke. An irrelevance.

And also fair enough if you do it however don’t give the big one about upholding tradition and values after doing it as you look something of a hypocrite and turd burglar to boot.

Just saying we need to just accept this stuff is like taking a dump in your hand and then slapping yourself and just shrugging oh well that’s life.

Hopelessly passing your time in the grassland away
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air
You better watch out
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Jordan, and I have seen
Things are not what they seem
What do you get for pretending the danger's not real
Meek and obedient you follow the leader
Down well trodden corridors into the valley of steel
What a surprise
The look of terminal shock in your eyes
Now things are really what they seem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-oJt_5JvV4

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499551  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 am
Posts: 3324
Location: Melbourne

jesus. Man U have been utter garbage but 2-1 up. Chelsea good for 45 and the woeful once Man Utd stacked their right to defend (shutting down Hazard).

Getting interesting now.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499552  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 am
Posts: 3324
Location: Melbourne

jesus. Man U have been utter garbage but 2-1 up. Chelsea good for 45 and the woeful once Man Utd stacked their right to defend (shutting down Hazard).

Getting interesting now.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499553  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 am
Posts: 3324
Location: Melbourne

Mourinho. What a *%^@. Aww didums someone rang through the technical area. Commentators going on and on about class despite everything that prick has done. Unbelievable.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499554  Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 3973
Location: SE9

grantyboy wrote:
Mourinho. What a *%^@. Aww didums someone rang through the technical area. Commentators going on and on about class despite everything that prick has done. Unbelievable.

Just pantomime - but they should have let him get to that big bloke who ran past him - he would have been screaming 'hold me back!!'
Anyway, happy with the late equalizer, if we can manage to beat Leicester we go level with Chelsea and seven ahead of United.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499555  Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8538

Didn't realise Reiss Nelson is only 18. Thought he's same age as AMN. It'd be fantastic if they and ESR become important squad players for us in the next couple of years.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499556  Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 6529

bromley gooner wrote:
Anyway, happy with the late equalizer, if we can manage to beat Leicester we go level with Chelsea and seven ahead of United.

Must admit bromley, as much as I dislike Manchester United I wasn't happy about Chelsea's equaliser. For as long as Mourinho stays in post, I think we've got a much better chance of finishing above United than Chelsea.

Therefore I reckon it would be better for Arsenal, if we beat Leicester, to be one point ahead of Chelsea and five ahead of United (the scenario if we beat Leicester had Chelsea not equalised) than the scenario as it will be should we win tomorrow. Namely, level on points with Chelsea and seven ahead of United (as you pointed out).


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499557  Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 12542

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Anyway, happy with the late equalizer, if we can manage to beat Leicester we go level with Chelsea and seven ahead of United.

Must admit bromley, as much as I dislike Manchester United I wasn't happy about Chelsea's equaliser. For as long as Mourinho stays in post, I think we've got a much better chance of finishing above United than Chelsea.

Therefore I reckon it would be better for Arsenal, if we beat Leicester, to be one point ahead of Chelsea and five ahead of United (the scenario if we beat Leicester had Chelsea not equalised) than the scenario as it will be should we win tomorrow. Namely, level on points with Chelsea and seven ahead of United (as you pointed out).

I enjoyed their distress, but I would have to agree that United winning would have been better. If we are going to get fourth we have to finish above one of Chelsea or Spurs (penciling in Liverpool and City for top spots). I watched the Spurs game and I thought they looked very efficient--while West Ham did quite a lot Spurs looked that could easily take it up a gear or two. I still think Chelsea is our most likely direct rival.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499558  Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 9755

You will struggle to get a better roast beef in London on a Sunday than at Hawksmoor. Spectacular and recommended

_________________
A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, 'With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way.
Arsene Wenger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499559  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 7714
Location: Singapore

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -club.html

Sad for him. If not for injuries, he could have become one of the better players in the EPL. Always liked the fight he has in him.

But staying with Wenger just because Wenger has faith in him, will not make him a better player. I think Emery would make him a better player, in deploying him with the more appropriate tactical set-up. He would have instructed Jack to adjust his style according to the opposition too. Wenger is one dimensional (IMO).

_________________
Time for Emery to right the wrongs


 Profile  
 
 
Post #499560  Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 7714
Location: Singapore

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

AG, can you send the link?

sent.


Just finished watching it. Thanks for the link.

Wonderful to re-live the euphoria of that night. I recall screaming in the middle of the night after the game ended. My wife was awaken by it, but was happy to know Arsenal won it.

I had said this before, but not many would believe me. I won my office pool, and I think was the only person to predict an Arsenal victory. I even joked of a last-minute goal to win the championship. I think all other bets were on Liverpool. Those who were in the betting pool definitely recall this. Almost everyone was laughing at me and saying I was a fool to bet an Arsenal victory. I told them, "money where the mouth is" :laughing7:

_________________
Time for Emery to right the wrongs


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 500660 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12486, 12487, 12488, 12489, 12490, 12491, 12492 ... 12517  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018