Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 151 guests

Post #493401  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:53 pm 

Dear oh dear. Brighton looking more likely to snatch a win.

Post #493402  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:59 pm 

Emery seemed to have the master touch with subs in earlier matches but some of the latest ones seem a bit forced, unnecessary and ineffective.

Post #493403  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:00 pm 

Guendozi looks lost when he has the ball. Why?
In fact , all of them look clueless on how to move the ball forward.

Post #493404  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:04 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
AMN has been rubbish since coming on

Unfortunately you’re not wrong there. Seems to make the wrong choice each time.

Post #493405  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:05 pm 

Ainsley no longer looks like an asset...............

Likewise Lichenstein.

Need to give the kids a chance.

Post #493406  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:07 pm 

All over. Rather underwhelming and very disappointing.

Gave that away.

Post #493407  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:08 pm 

Very disjointed game from Arsenal. Emery seems to have lost his magic. Very disappointing result.

Post #493408  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:08 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Guendozi looks lost when he has the ball. Why?
In fact , all of them look clueless on how to move the ball forward.

Why did I choose this match of all matches to watch live. Complete and utter *%^@ and I can't think of a match I enjoyed less even under Wenger. Predictable, stale and lacking any interest from the whole team.

Post #493409  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:10 pm 

Looking forward to our annual Liverpool humiliation. Slow defence, ponderous midfield and forwards struggling to free themselves from defenders. Welcome back Wenger's Arsenal. To be fair two signings won't change this team.

Post #493410  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:11 pm 

None of the players stood out today, none!

Post #493411  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:16 pm 

danny wrote:
Looking forward to our annual Liverpool humiliation. Slow defence, ponderous midfield and forwards struggling to free themselves from defenders. Welcome back Wenger's Arsenal. To be fair two signings won't change this team.

Not ponderous midfield, more like clueless today. So many times Guendozi looks up and takes a couple seconds, then decides a back pass is the best option. Xhaka is slow, his delay is nothing more than his need to hang on to the ball before passing it.
All 3 substitutes made zero impact.

Post #493412  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:16 pm 

danny wrote:

Not ponderous midfield, more like clueless today. So many times Guendozi looks up and takes a couple seconds, then decides a back pass is the best option. Xhaka is slow, his delay is nothing more than his need to hang on to the ball before passing it.

Post #493413  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:27 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

Actually less than zero. Brought the quality and effectiveness down rather than up.

Post #493414  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:29 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
danny wrote:

Strangely I thought Guendouzi was one of the few actually trying to drive forward but he had zero options cos the rest of the team just stood there looking at him. There is no glossing over the fact that the whole team were crap today and seemed to be saving themselves for Liverpool. One of things I hated about the Wenger Arsenal was that it doesn't matter if you try to save for the next match if you can't collect point from teams in the bottom third of the table. That performance was dismal and seems old habits die hard.

Post #493415  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:30 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Not ponderous midfield, more like clueless today. So many times Guendozi looks up and takes a couple seconds, then decides a back pass is the best option.

Guendouzi is the least of our problems. At least he brings more energy to our play. He passes back when there's little or nothing on in front of him. Can't blame him for that.

Post #493416  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:30 pm 

Not good enough in the final third by any stretch of the means but for me, Brighton were very negative for a home side and barely came out to play at all. Very difficult to break teams down when they set up like that but with quality from us was lacking. We really could do with a couple of quality dribblers to run at defences when they are set up like that.

The goal we conceded though, bloomin awful. Starting to have some major doubts about Leno's decision making.

Sky showed it was Özil who didn't track the run of the goalscorer which may have been why he was hooked.

Post #493417  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:36 pm 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Not ponderous midfield, more like clueless today. So many times Guendozi looks up and takes a couple seconds, then decides a back pass is the best option.

Guendouzi is the least of our problems. At least he brings more energy to our play. He passes back when there's little or nothing on in front of him. Can't blame him for that.

Yes thought Guendouzi had a good game myself.

Post #493418  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:38 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

Wenger still phones in to talk with his old boys

It seems like that G7 ..... we always have the threat a moment of magic from Lacazette or Aubameyang to grab us a goal but until Unai can install more movement and challenge the whole team to make more accurate FORWARD passes we will struggle .

These little 'safe' back / sideways passes will never lead to improvement

We take a corner ........ slightest bit of opposition pressure and the ball is back in the hands of Leno :blob9:

Lots of 'lesser' sides seem busier , more pro active with the ball than us

Post #493419  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:39 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
So many times Guendozi looks up and takes a couple seconds, then decides a back pass is the best option.

Strangely I thought Guendouzi was one of the few actually trying to drive forward but he had zero options cos the rest of the team just stood there looking at him.

That's exactly how I saw it grantyboy. Hadn't read your post when I wrote my previous one.

Post #493420  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:44 pm 

Brighton had lost 3 games in a row prior to this evening. Their performance tonight was definitely a team set up to stop the losing run. Emery has pinpointed the first half and to be fair to the keeper Ryan he made two outstanding saves from Aubameyang which were key to the result. Also said Özil was taken off in a tactical decision to go 4-4-2. This one clearly didn't work out.

Post #493421  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:48 pm 

Niall wrote:
Brighton were very negative for a home side and barely came out to play at all. Very difficult to break teams down when they set up like that but with quality from us was lacking. We really could do with a couple of quality dribblers to run at defences when they are set up like that.

Yeah but in their defence Niall ... for them Premier League survival is the name of the game .

Coming out all Gung Ho against a team with Lacazette and Aubameyang would be a no brainer .

They'd be happy with their point against us and probably play a more adventurous set up v the likes of Bournemouth , Huddersfield, Cardiff and Wolves

Post #493422  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:57 pm 

No pace, width or creativity in the entire squad.

Watching Chelsea who have William hazard and Pedro, we have no player like that at all. We just can’t hurt the opposition

New players have to come in

Post #493423  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:02 pm 

Forum very slow, is it just for me?

Post #493424  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:06 pm 

Basically the same story repeating itself over the last few years. We always seem to be 3 or 4 quality players away from being genuine contenders.Add to the mix our usual run of injuries which stretches our resources and we under achieve. Right now Lichsteiner and AMN shouldn’t be in the Carabau squad let alone the first team.
Never thought I’d see the day when Jenkinson has two right backs worse than him. Kos sadly is in decline and I’m not a fan of Mustafi. Gets beat to often in the channels and gives rash fouls away. Monreal is decent still but more and more injury prone and his best days are behind him. Kolasinac is merely ok
Iwobi and Özil are inconsistent and do not dominate games. (Özil is probably best suited playing for a world beating team where he can embellish the performance. )
For all their promise Leno Guandouzi and Torreira are raw. Ramsey’s on the way out as is Welbeck.
I dunno who the recruitment guru is ....Sven Mlinstat(sp) but if he goes to games he and his staff must see the deficiencies.Two quality central defenders a left back a creative mid and a winger are required plus Nelson back from Germany.
I love this club but performances like today against an inferior set of players really aggravate me. One up and cruising then ....miss chances then ....give a stupid goal away and......how many times have you all seen that scenario Ah well. I’ll still be cheering them on Saturday. It’s in the blood right.

Post #493425  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:07 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Niall wrote:
Brighton were very negative for a home side and barely came out to play at all. Very difficult to break teams down when they set up like that but with quality from us was lacking. We really could do with a couple of quality dribblers to run at defences when they are set up like that.

Yeah but in their defence Niall ... for them Premier League survival is the name of the game .

Coming out all Gung Ho against a team with Lacazette and Aubameyang would be a no brainer .

They'd be happy with their point against us and probably play a more adventurous set up v the likes of Bournemouth , Huddersfield, Cardiff and Wolves

Hey Kiwi, I'm not blaming them for their negative set up - I agree with you it's all about survival for them and fair play to them it was a good point. Still it's hard for an attacking team to break that system down and Emery is right to highlight the first 25 minutes when they weren't on it and we could have had 3 goals but for the keeper. After that we struggled to pass through the wall of players they kept in their own half the entire game. Really, that sloppy concession has cost us big time.

Post #493426  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:18 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Basically the same story repeating itself over the last few years. We always seem to be 3 or 4 quality players away from being genuine contenders.Add to the mix our usual run of injuries which stretches our resources and we under achieve. Right now Lichsteiner and AMN shouldn’t be in the Carabau squad let alone the first team.
Never thought I’d see the day when Jenkinson has two right backs worse than him. Kos sadly is in decline and I’m not a fan of Mustafi. Gets beat to often in the channels and gives rash fouls away. Monreal is decent still but more and more injury prone and his best days are behind him. Kolasinac is merely ok
Iwobi and Özil are inconsistent and do not dominate games. (Özil is probably best suited playing for a world beating team where he can embellish the performance. )
For all their promise Leno Guandouzi and Torreira are raw. Ramsey’s on the way out as is Welbeck.
I dunno who the recruitment guru is ....Sven Mlinstat(sp) but if he goes to games he and his staff must see the deficiencies.Two quality central defenders a left back a creative mid and a winger are required plus Nelson back from Germany.
I love this club but performances like today against an inferior set of players really aggravate me. One up and cruising then ....miss chances then ....give a stupid goal away and......how many times have you all seen that scenario Ah well. I’ll still be cheering them on Saturday. It’s in the blood right.

Hey Andy, stating the obvious - we are the 4th, 5th or 6th best team in the league at the moment and Emery and the new staff need time to close the gap further on the top 3 - all of whom are outstanding teams it has to be said. Hopefully it will be 4th but as I type Hazard has just put Chelsea ahead.....

Post #493427  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:24 pm 

Niall wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

Hey Andy, stating the obvious - we are the 4th, 5th or 6th best team in the league at the moment and Emery and the new staff need time to close the gap further on the top 3 - all of whom are outstanding teams it has to be said. Hopefully it will be 4th but as I type Hazard has just put Chelsea ahead.....

I know Niall but I’ve got to let off steam somehow.
I’m down in a tropical paradise (Cartagena,Colmbia) on vacation and it’s really screwed with my day. A few beers and I’ll be ok.

Post #493428  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:25 pm 

Niall wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Hey Kiwi, I'm not blaming them for their negative set up - I agree with you it's all about survival for them and fair play to them it was a good point. Still it's hard for an attacking team to break that system down and Emery is right to highlight the first 25 minutes when they weren't on it and we could have had 3 goals but for the keeper. After that we struggled to pass through the wall of players they kept in their own half the entire game. Really, that sloppy concession has cost us big time.
We should not have to score 3 goals to win away games.

Post #493429  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:49 pm 

Haven't watched the game yet (don't think I will bother to be honest) but, as I have said previously, we slowly seem to be finding our true level and, sadly, its 5th or 6th.

I think Man U have got a better squad, it just needs a confidence boost and they could easily overtake us.

Post #493430  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:51 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
No pace, width or creativity in the entire squad.

Watching Chelsea who have William hazard and Pedro, we have no player like that at all. We just can’t hurt the opposition

New players have to come in
Well Chelsea were unable to break down Leicester the other day. Thing is that when Spurs or Cheksea score they normally win. We've only failed to score once in the league, I think.

Post #493431  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:24 pm 

Absolutely no coincendece that our best performances have come when we’ve played with pace and tempo. Almost releasing the shackles. You need to be brave to do so because you are obviously more exposed but the counter to that is the opposition bed in and defend against the wave after wave of attack. It becomes a poker game, we’re going to attack you full throttle- date you do anything other than defend for your life?

Still a very unbalanced squad, Emery is still trying out lots of things, I think he would clearly change 50% of this starting 11 given the chance and money

Post #493432  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:29 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
Never thought I’d see the day when Jenkinson has two right backs worse than him. Kos sadly is in decline and I’m not a fan of Mustafi. Gets beat to often in the channels and gives rash fouls away.

Andy, Mustafi may not be at the top level, but whether we like it or not he's in my view still the best central defender we have at the moment. The more I think about it, the more I see your point about Jenkinson. There are arguments for playing him while Bellerin is out. I'm not sure he should, but I can see the argument for it.

Post #493433  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:23 pm 

Obviously Emery needs a few transfer windows before we can really judge but some of his team selections and substitutions in recent games have raised more questions than they have answered. Lacazette, for example.

Post #493434  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:30 pm 

socrates wrote:
Haven't watched the game yet (don't think I will bother to be honest) but, as I have said previously, we slowly seem to be finding our true level and, sadly, its 5th or 6th.

I think Man U have got a better squad, it just needs a confidence boost and they could easily overtake us.

Yeah we're mediocre and always will be under Kroenke, regardless of who is manager ("head coach").

I've given up on the club now, I keep one eye on results but I don't even bother watching us on TV now.

half way through the season - 13 points off the top and 7 points behind Spurs - it's as if Wenger never left.

Looking forward to a good spanking at Anfield....

Post #493435  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:43 pm 

socrates wrote:
Obviously Emery needs a few transfer windows before we can really judge but some of his team selections and substitutions in recent games have raised more questions than they have answered. Lacazette, for example.

Today’s sub was strange. Lacazette looked pissed off and Iwobi did just nothing.

Post #493436  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:46 pm 

The continuous half time subs are starting to wear a bit thin. Yes it is nice to have a manager willing to be decisive and make changes but we’ve had all week to decide how we are going to play and who is going to play......and all that gets scrapped inside 45 mins too often

Post #493437  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:06 pm 

Niall wrote:

Seems about the same to me.

I made a change at half time but it seemed to make little difference. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #493438  Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:22 pm 

Give Emery a blank chequebook and I’d be very interested to see what he does with this squad. The fact is he’s going to have about £30-50m a season maximum.....and that means it will take 4-5 transfer windows with no mistakes and plenty of rough diamonds to establish this team. Far too many factors that are required to be perfect

Post #493439  Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:38 am 

grantyboy wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Strangely I thought Guendouzi was one of the few actually trying to drive forward but he had zero options cos the rest of the team just stood there looking at him. There is no glossing over the fact that the whole team were crap today and seemed to be saving themselves for Liverpool. One of things I hated about the Wenger Arsenal was that it doesn't matter if you try to save for the next match if you can't collect point from teams in the bottom third of the table. That performance was dismal and seems old habits die hard.

I agree he was the only one trying to drive forward. I was not blaming him for being clueless, but the entire forward play for it. Guendozi, as you rightly pointed out, had zero options in front of him.

Post #493440  Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:10 am 

Niall wrote:

Warrior is a genius and he has got the internet to operate at a comparable speed to the speed of our current backs. Will be with us until we can bring in some new players.

[ 570735 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12333, 12334, 12335, 12336, 12337, 12338, 12339 ... 14269  Next