Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 246 guests

Post #486401  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:31 am 

The difference between Liverpool and arsenal and this Klopp and Wenger in the last two years is remarkable. When Klopp took over we were easily ahead of Liverpool, we simply had a far better squad.the two teams have accelerated in opposite directions since and now you have a Liverpool team in a champions league final on a virtual £0 net spend and already have a superb CM lined up to address one of their weaker areas. They play with verve, excitement and have a clear strategy and tactics. Wenger has not just been holding us back these past few years he’s been laying the foundations for years in the wilderness

Post #486402  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:46 am 

DHD wrote:
On occasions he has been, Haz, but on too many other occasions, he hasn’t.

Keown accused him of hiding tonight.

I'd absolutely agree that he disappears sometimes, but would disagree strongly with Keown about last night. I think it has become an easy narrative for pundits to talk about how Özil needs to 'step up'. He's a pure playmaker, to a certain extent we need a functional team around him to get the best out of him. He's not an Henry or van Persie who'll just win games out of nothing.

What I would say about Özil last night is I think his final ball was not up to his usual standard. Most of the time when he gets the chance he'll play it perfectly, but last night he had a couple of good opportunities and didn't get it right.

Post #486403  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:52 am 

We all know what you get with Özil. A supremely graceful footballer who will create goal scoring chances but wont impose himself on a game or get stuck in. The thing that I find weird is the amount of games he misses due to 'illness'.

Post #486404  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:52 am 

Rich wrote:
Wenger has not just been holding us back these past few years he’s been laying the foundations for years in the wilderness

Way too early for this type of doomsday scenario, in my opinion. We're in better shape than Liverpool were before Klopp. Just look at their squad from 2014/15, only top class players they had were Coutinho, Sterling and a 43-year old Gerrard.

All depends on whether we get the right guy in of course, but there's a lot of potential in this squad waiting to be released.

Post #486405  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:58 am 

lomekian wrote:

Ultimately we were beaten by the only team bettter than us in the tournament who were among the favourites for the champions league before two freak results demoted them. And on balance we probably should have beaten them. Typical Arsenal of the latter Wenger period, except last years cup final.

Looking ahead we need at least one, possibly 2 centre backs, another goalkeeper, a proper wide player who can cross and a midfielder with althleticism and defensive capacity, unless AMN is ready to step up.

I do think that alongside someone like Kante or Gilberto, Xhaka would be a much better player and less exposed.

That's the point I was trying to make last night, people are lauding this great Athletico side but I thought over the two legs we should have gone through. We had numerous chances and great situations but failed to capitalise, mainly due to some really poor finishing and some atrocious final balls. Our defending was just as calamitous as always but I thought our quality in the final third was also piss poor.

Even last night we had umpteen opportunities to really test their back four with some quality crosses but failed to do so. Crosses are a percentage thing really, if you can hit the corridor of uncertainty between the 6 yard box and the penalty spot enough times with quality and get bodies in the box then eventually something will fall for you. United did it for years with supreme quality from wide areas from the likes of Beckham and Giggs and players prepared to bust a gut to get in the box. Even Neville was a great crosser from right back.

Post #486406  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:00 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Wenger has not just been holding us back these past few years he’s been laying the foundations for years in the wilderness

Way too early for this type of doomsday scenario, in my opinion. We're in better shape than Liverpool were before Klopp. Just look at their squad from 2014/15, only top class players they had were Coutinho, Sterling and a 43-year old Gerrard.

All depends on whether we get the right guy in of course, but there's a lot of potential in this squad waiting to be released.

This Sven guy appears to be a pretty savvy operator, let's hope he can unearth some hidden gems in the way Wenger did in his early years.

Post #486407  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:04 am 

and so what are we left with - a bland, soulless stadium - a cartoon club badge - a bunch of misfits on the pitch - look after the values of the club - you have no *%^@*** idea what they are wenger - I though Özil did alright last night and just when Wilshire was starting to find his touch and passes he was taken off - we were here long before you wenger and we'll be here when you're gone - *%^@ off...

Post #486408  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:04 am 

Hazuki wrote:
DHD wrote:

I'd absolutely agree that he disappears sometimes, but would disagree strongly with Keown about last night. I think it has become an easy narrative for pundits to talk about how Özil needs to 'step up'. He's a pure playmaker, to a certain extent we need a functional team around him to get the best out of him. He's not an Henry or van Persie who'll just win games out of nothing.

What I would say about Özil last night is I think his final ball was not up to his usual standard. Most of the time when he gets the chance he'll play it perfectly, but last night he had a couple of good opportunities and didn't get it right.

I think Özil was the least of our concerns last night. He wasn't amazing but he wasn't totally shite either. I was more concerned by the lack of quality from many of the players around him.

Post #486409  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:11 am 

The referee didn't help at all. The repeated fouls by the same players without punishment was no help to us at all. If it had been last week's ref we'd have fared better and they'd have finished with 9 players.

Why can't UEFA see that the refs are incompetent and not fit for purpose.

Post #486410  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:26 am 

Abu wrote:
and so what are we left with - a bland, soulless stadium - a cartoon club badge - a bunch of misfits on the pitch - look after the values of the club - you have no *%^@*** idea what they are wenger - I though Özil did alright last night and just when Wilshire was starting to find his touch and passes he was taken off - we were here long before you wenger and we'll be here when you're gone - *%^@ off...

:53big-emoticons:

Exactly my feelings, there should be 2 laps of appreciation one for 96-2004 then another for the present day where our fans have the opportunity to tell Arsene to *%^@ off back to Alsace.

Post #486411  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:16 am 

socrates wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Ultimately we were beaten by the only team bettter than us in the tournament who were among the favourites for the champions league before two freak results demoted them. And on balance we probably should have beaten them. Typical Arsenal of the latter Wenger period, except last years cup final.

Looking ahead we need at least one, possibly 2 centre backs, another goalkeeper, a proper wide player who can cross and a midfielder with althleticism and defensive capacity, unless AMN is ready to step up.

I do think that alongside someone like Kante or Gilberto, Xhaka would be a much better player and less exposed.

That's the point I was trying to make last night, people are lauding this great Athletico side but I thought over the two legs we should have gone through. We had numerous chances and great situations but failed to capitalise, mainly due to some really poor finishing and some atrocious final balls. Our defending was just as calamitous as always but I thought our quality in the final third was also piss poor.

Even last night we had umpteen opportunities to really test their back four with some quality crosses but failed to do so. Crosses are a percentage thing really, if you can hit the corridor of uncertainty between the 6 yard box and the penalty spot enough times with quality and get bodies in the box then eventually something will fall for you. United did it for years with supreme quality from wide areas from the likes of Beckham and Giggs and players prepared to bust a gut to get in the box. Even Neville was a great crosser from right back.

Hi Soc

You are drawing comparisons with one of the best teams in English football history. We are miles off that level. Also, that type of game is largely gone because teams now crowd the midfield. Moyes played that way at Man U with a better team than we have and it failed miserably. I wish football could return to that style because it is far more enjoyable than this bloody pressing we have today. Sadly, due to changes in pitches, boots, footballs and fitness levels, it is a thing of the past.

Post #486412  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:38 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Özil has been one of our best offensive players this season and Sanchez was desperate to leave. What are you on about?

If Wenger had not been anal with Alexis, he would not have been gunning to leave. Alexis rightfully called out on the lack of attitude in the team. Wenger closed ranks with his softies and Alexis lost heart from there on. I blame Wenger for keeping the culture, thus keeping a team of softies lacking in fight. Özil has not been effective for months already. He had his change of heart too. He stayed on because Wenger gave him the bumper deal. But see what he dishes out?

Are you in possession of in the know information or being informed by frustration and prejudice? Alexis checked out when he realised we weren't going to challenge for the league, for which I don't blame him. However, he's never stayed anywhere for longer than he did at Arsenal, has never bonded with his team-mates at any club, and with not having had a summer off in about 6 years, looks to have a touch of his acceleration. He's been less productive for Utd than Welbeck has been in his absence.

Would he have helped in this tie? Probably, yes. But ironically so would ,Giroud or Walcott off the bench or even Debuchy.

The manager's going. Everyone knows it's the right call. But Alexis making it clear he was off really wasn't the end of the world.

Post #486413  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:40 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Xhaka and Özil have a gulf of difference in ability. Xhaka is playing far closer to his talent than Özil is. The sense of urgency for the squad was no where close to what it should be. Attacking players went missing at times. Lacazette was sometimes the only one willing to mix it up around the 6 yard box. Welbeck, a striker, supposed to have that selfish, striker's instinct seemed scared of the responsibility too often.

Of course Özil is going to have the ball and cover ground, he's supposed to be the best talent on the pitch for both sides. Arsenal goes through him for its set up so he's supposed to cover some distance. He was lackadaisical. It wasn't just just Keown, pretty much ever former pro pundit echoed similar thoughts.

100 million lemmings can't be wrong! Özil has always been this player...just with Ronaldo etc rather than welbz etc

Post #486414  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:42 am 

The second biggest difference between the two clubs (the first being the defence obviously) last night was the connect between club and fans. It is this that has been so horribly neglected by Arsenal, aided and abetted by those who persisted in labelling people who complained about our stagnation as spoiled, entitled, deluded and irrelevant (naming no names but he's in "New Zealand" right now). When you have almost every season ticket holder on here saying they go either rarely or not at all there is a problem. That problem is not confined to the stadium (although unfashionably I do care more about those lifelong fans than the "new global market") because it will affect your "brand" anyway. So even for the shallow corporate *%^@* who run football these days it is a deeply stupid and shortsighted approach. If you treat your fans with contempt or ignore their concerns it will catch up with you. I am really glad Wenger is leaving - at least five years too late - but the problems won't go away with him. This is a club that sees fans an an inconvenient necessity and revenue base - until they understand that football doesn't work like that we will continue to see a club with a cardiovascular crisis.

Post #486415  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:45 am 

lomekian wrote:
Are you in possession of in the know information or being informed by frustration and prejudice? Alexis checked out when he realised we weren't going to challenge for the league, for which I don't blame him. However, he's never stayed anywhere for longer than he did at Arsenal, has never bonded with his team-mates at any club, and with not having had a summer off in about 6 years, looks to have a touch of his acceleration. He's been less productive for Utd than Welbeck has been in his absence.

Was in Chile over Easter and he's not very popular there either right now. He is what he is and shone in our team because he at least had some balls. But as you say he's not a keeper (in either sense of the word).

Post #486416  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:46 am 

If we had Sanchez we MAY have got through the tie. We lacked a spark and injection of pace in both legs and have done since January when he left let's be honest. Thought it was a mistake not to start Mhikitaryan whilst appreciating he's not 100% right now.

Post #486417  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:47 am 

Glad I'm not going to the Burnley game - think it might be quite awkward. Funny how after all the schmaltz and broccoliballs had settled down, the reality of late-Wenger has remained remarkably constant and resistant to any of the "send-off" narratives because football.

Post #486418  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:52 am 

I see the London borough of Barnet that was expected to go Labour went Tory as the labour vote collapsed because 30% of the electorate there is Jewish.

Shalom!!

What the *%^@ are you doing Corbyn. Another dinosaur that needs to get lost quickly.

Post #486419  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:54 am 

So we are a club that is regularly in the top 8 richest clubs in the world, where do we go from here? £50m budget for the summer. When you add up our net spend on transfers alone in the last 10 years it is pitiful. I know we have a big wage bill but we also have the highest ticket prices in the world and oodles of sponsorship and tv money coming in.

Where on earth does all this money go? How can nothing teams with no Europe, less sponsorship, gate receipts and tv money regularly out spend us.

This squad is the consequence of years of mismanagement, poor spending and under investment. Can we all remember the summer when wenger decided Čech and Čech alone was all the squad needed.

We went for years all thinking we were 3 players away from really challenging. I’d double that now.

It is a disgrace what has been allowed to happen to our club

Post #486420  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:05 am 

Wenger on last nights game

"Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with 5 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.5 Jun 2014"

Post #486421  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I see the London borough of Barnet that was expected to go Labour went Tory as the labour vote collapsed because 30% of the electorate there is Jewish.

Shalom!!

What the *%^@ are you doing Corbyn. Another dinosaur that needs to get lost quickly.

Before Brexit I'd have voted for Corbyn. He's no more anti=semitic than you or I and denying it repeatedly would not change the minds of the disbelievers. Labour are no more anti semitic than the Tories are. I dislike the influence the 'Jews' had on finance in the early days and still have. Does that make me a racist or anti semite?

A frenzied attack against Labour by the media has worked and Corbyn has effectively been sidelined.

The only good thing to come out of the local elections is the possibility that May could call an election which I believe would cement the Brexit vote. More regions voted for than against Brexit so the referendum vote could be carried far easier in a GE than another referendum.

Something has to happen to stop the incessant winging of the remoaners.

Post #486422  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:17 am 

Rich wrote:
So we are a club that is regularly in the top 8 richest clubs in the world, where do we go from here? £50m budget for the summer. When you add up our net spend on transfers alone in the last 10 years it is pitiful. I know we have a big wage bill but we also have the highest ticket prices in the world and oodles of sponsorship and tv money coming in.

Where on earth does all this money go? How can nothing teams with no Europe, less sponsorship, gate receipts and tv money regularly out spend us.

This squad is the consequence of years of mismanagement, poor spending and under investment. Can we all remember the summer when wenger decided Čech and Čech alone was all the squad needed.

We went for years all thinking we were 3 players away from really challenging. I’d double that now.

It is a disgrace what has been allowed to happen to our club

Agree Rich, the board were supposed to be custodians of the club but they didn't protect us and let Arsene run riot

Instead of reigning Wenger in they were to busy doing stuff like this ...putting Herbert aside isn't this all a bit self important ...

https://www.arsenal.com/arsenal-history ... enal-busts

Post #486423  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:17 am 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Soc

You are drawing comparisons with one of the best teams in English football history. We are miles off that level. Also, that type of game is largely gone because teams now crowd the midfield. Moyes played that way at Man U with a better team than we have and it failed miserably. I wish football could return to that style because it is far more enjoyable than this bloody pressing we have today. Sadly, due to changes in pitches, boots, footballs and fitness levels, it is a thing of the past.

Hi Dec,

I don't really buy that, because even if you argue that the concept of an out-and-out winger is a thing of the past (and Beckham was far from that, he was basically a central midfielder with a tremendous engine and worldclass crossing ability) then teams still play with fullbacks who seem to able to cross with far more purpose, conviction and direction than the two clowns we have. City are a great footballing isde but at the end of the day don't Aguero and Jesus still score a lot of goals from balls played across the six yard box from wide areas? Isn't his wonderful crossing ability one of the features of De Bruyne's game?

The concept of crosses in from wide areas with players getting into the box is a basic tactic that can never go out of fashion because it is really all about percentages. Crosses don't have to be perfect, just into the right area with some degree of quality and with players attempting to get on the end of them. We try and play through the crowded middle with little one-twos, flicks etc trying to score the perfect goal and it is no wonder so many of our moves break down without even an attempt on goal.

Post #486424  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:24 am 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Shalom!!

Before Brexit I'd have voted for Corbyn. He's no more anti=semitic than you or I and denying it repeatedly would not change the minds of the disbelievers. Labour are no more anti semitic than the Tories are. I dislike the influence the 'Jews' had on finance in the early days and still have. Does that make me a racist or anti semite?

A frenzied attack against Labour by the media has worked and Corbyn has effectively been sidelined.

The only good thing to come out of the local elections is the possibility that May could call an election which I believe would cement the Brexit vote. More regions voted for than against Brexit so the referendum vote could be carried far easier in a GE than another referendum.

Yay let's all be poor !!! Stop the moaning folks and get in your place.

Let's not subvert democracy etc

Post #486425  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:39 am 

Rich wrote:
So we are a club that is regularly in the top 8 richest clubs in the world, where do we go from here?

The Banting diet?

Post #486426  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:15 am 

Abu wrote:

What is the point in Wenger being manager for the last two matches? I would say three but he's having his farewell party on Sunday. Have the presentation, wave him goodbye (or your hand gesture of choice), and then move aside after Sunday. The past was yours, but the future's mine (ours). And hopefully the new manager will Bang The Drum.

Post #486427  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:20 am 

bubblechris wrote:
I dislike the influence the 'Jews' had on finance in the early days and still have. Does that make me a racist or anti semite?

In a word...

Post #486428  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:24 am 

bubblechris wrote:

Wait, I've got an idea! You know the 350 million that they were going to spend on the NHS? You remember - it was on the side of a bus.

If they did that I think it would really silence those pesky remoaners.

Post #486429  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:16 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
I dislike the influence the 'Jews' had on finance in the early days and still have. Does that make me a racist or anti semite?.

Tbh mate, it probably does.

Signed.

A.Jew

Post #486430  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:17 pm 

Daz wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
I dislike the influence the 'Jews' had on finance in the early days and still have. Does that make me a racist or anti semite?

In a word...

Beat me to it.

Post #486431  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:18 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Yeah, this democracy thing can be a right pain eh?

Post #486432  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:30 pm 

All, just read tickets for Sunday are changing hands for 1800 cash. Just wanted to say that if anyone on the forum is willing to pay this please hit me up with a PM.

Promises to be a weird afternoon with everyone singing and paying homage to Arsene but in the back of their minds thinking that the team needs 200milliom squad investment, he's disenfranchised our support and the whole club is in a terrible state.

Post #486433  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:40 pm 

Reports in Germany suggest it's Frankfurt, not Arsenal, where Buvac is taking the head coach job.

Post #486434  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:48 pm 

Darren wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
I dislike the influence the 'Jews' had on finance in the early days and still have. Does that make me a racist or anti semite?.

Tbh mate, it probably does.

Signed.

A.Jew

Indeed. :icon_sad1:

Chris, if you were fair, you might want to spread your dislike to the 'British' for their role in the above ... not to mention the 'catholics' for their despoliation of the Americas and the unleashing of all that treasure on Europe.

Post #486435  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:55 pm 

Babu III wrote:
As for yesterday, well, I enjoyed it a bit more than that time an internal haemorrhoid burst while I was having a poo, and I filled the whole bowl with blood ( and poo ).

Sadly, me and Mrs. Babu only had enough money for one ticket...so I had to go.
Flight was grim, Madrid was grim, getting to the Ground was grim.
The ground looks like every other new big Stadium. Reminded me of Munichs new ground, very nice and incredibly expensive.
Shame that their old grounds...both of them...Calderon and Olympiastadion...were beautiful, individual, something to really go wow, but now they've got a nice new ground.
( i'm guessing a bit like the emirates must look like, and if I remember correctly the old Arsenal ground was quite nice and fairly individual. )

Had a nice, incredibly expensive seat, next to some nice, incredibly rich half-wits ( but that's what you get when you have to get a ticket through a tout - tbf, they were probably not incredibly impressed with me either ) and saw a nice game of football, with a bit of excitement just before half-time, and everyone went home satisfied. A lovely event, captured beautifully on my social media, for everyone I know to look at for a second, click on a "positive", and then forget.

Yay! :6encouragement:

Also the Calderon was in a cool part of Madrid and you could walk to Lavapies afterwards and get enjoyably Babued. While this new thing is like a thousand miles away plus Wanda is a bit of a fishy name.

Having said that the traditional Bernebeu is about as exciting as a multi-story car park.

Post #486436  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:10 pm 

Typical of the moron brigade on this forum. I know what I am and it's not a despicable racist like the idiot that is Top Gun. How you dare use that picture to describe anyone let alone me that you don't know shows what an idiot you are.

If you are Jewish and think I am an anti semite I can only think that you have a chip on your shoulder and have obviously been sucked into the 'anti Jew' propoganda in the media.

Daz you play the fool well when it suits you. For the zillionth time no one said they would give 350 million to the NHS they said, if I remember correctly, they could not would. Do i really need to explain the difference to you?

Post #486437  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
All, just read tickets for Sunday are changing hands for 1800 cash. Just wanted to say that if anyone on the forum is willing to pay this please hit me up with a PM.

Promises to be a weird afternoon with everyone singing and paying homage to Arsene but in the back of their minds thinking that the team needs 200milliom squad investment, he's disenfranchised our support and the whole club is in a terrible state.

I'm going though I'm not entirely sure why. I got bounced into it by my son and grandson who both seemed quite taken at the prospect of seeing AW's last home game. Can't say I'm particularly enthused. I don't see I have anything I want to hear from, share with or convey to AW. I just want this season to end.

Perfect finale would be to lose to Burnley and Leicester and then fail to fulfil the fixture at Huddersfield, thereby incurring a 10 point penalty and finishing outside the *%^@*** Europey Cup places.

Post #486438  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
Too many ex Wenger players from the early years have refused to criticise him. They see him as a father figure who was brilliant. Well he was once but if you’re going to be a pundit you have to call things thruthfully, you don’t have to be rude, any idiot can see that it has been wenger’s refusal to change and address our weaknesses as the biggest reason for our decline.

The pundits I see in football, too often have obvious biases. Its much different in the states where you have to show much more independence of thought or people won't take you seriously. Yes, they will cheer for their side but they are much more willing to criticize everyone including former teammates and coaches.

Not nearly as much when I see Sky and other pundit shows. A few exceptions. Andy Gray is fairly independent even if I don't agree with him. Gary Neville of all people (who I would like to see as an assistant manager perhaps, yes, I said it..haha).

Post #486439  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:24 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
If you are Jewish and think I am an anti semite I can only think that you have a chip on your shoulder and have obviously been sucked into the 'anti Jew' propoganda in the media.

Not so much a chip on my shoulder, as being aware that when one conflates the Jews with "controlling the money", the insistence that it doesn't mean one is an anti-semite is rather hard to square. It is EXACTLY this lazy mindset which has got Labour into all sorts of a mess.

In the words of Ken Livingstone "I tell you who else thought the Jews controlled the money".

Post #486440  Posted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:43 pm 

DHD wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Özil has been one of our best offensive players this season

Jason Cundy summed Özil up; an extremely talented but cowardly player.

[ 571657 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12158, 12159, 12160, 12161, 12162, 12163, 12164 ... 14292  Next