Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 95 guests

Post #479801  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 am 

So now Arsene has got everyone talking about the regional diversity of premiership refs eh. Yawn

All while no defensive training drills have been given to our players for over a decade.

Post #479802  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:29 am 

I want us to win obviously because I think this cup and the other two cups are are our only real chance at a trophy. In a crazy to think this but the Europa cup may be easier to win than the domestic cups.

Anyway, found a sports bar here, saw some of the FA Cup ties last night. Mostly Brits (Oz, NW) because football and rugby are advertised there. Maybe see some gooners for the match. My guess is Wenger will play a very weakened squad looking forward to the Chelsea match on Wednesday and it being a semi final match.

Post #479803  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:30 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Daz wrote:

He didn't shock the comms against Chelsea though. Everybody in the studio felt it was OK to award a penalty including the notoriously anti-Arsenal Thierry Henry. As did Dermot Gallagher (Irish so hates all English clubs equally) with the benefit of several slo-mo replays. As did the commentators for the Times, the Telegraph and the Guardian...

It wasn't that long ago you were going to do your centennial flounce. Why don't you sod off and support another team or chat on their forum.

Back to Arsenal matters......................

Harsh when I’ve learned so much from you like Schrodinger’s Hazard which can be simultaneously seen and not seen by refs.

Post #479804  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:34 am 

Papers say we are close to signing Jonny Evans for 25 million. I know we are desperate for defensive reinforcements but that doesn't seem very forward thinking signing given he's 30 and hasn't set the world alight. It's probably arsene trying to wind up that new scout.

Oh did you see the comments Arsene made about that new Sven bloke By the way? He didn't come across as bitter at all did he. Pretty much said the appointment was needless as we know all the players in Europe anyway.

Post #479805  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:41 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Papers say we are close to signing Jonny Evans for 25 million. I know we are desperate for defensive reinforcements but that doesn't seem very forward thinking signing given he's 30 and hasn't set the world alight. It's probably arsene trying to wind up that new scout.

Oh did you see the comments Arsene made about that new Sven bloke By the way? He didn't come across as bitter at all did he. Pretty much said the appointment was needless as we know all the players in Europe anyway.

In the movie after this cute meet they’d learn to love each other and lead us to glory overcoming hurdles like northern refs on their incredible journey.

Post #479806  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:41 am 

Daz wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

It wasn't that long ago you were going to do your centennial flounce. Why don't you sod off and support another team or chat on their forum.

Back to Arsenal matters......................

Harsh when I’ve learned so much from you like Schrodinger’s Hazard which can be simultaneously seen and not seen by refs.

If you can't understand that, in that situation, the dramatic collapse to the floor would obscure whether the kick was soft or not, even if he did see it, then more fool you.

You hate AW, you apparently hate the Arsenal, why do you come on here?

Post #479807  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:42 am 

Now while it's well known I like blokes who tell it how it is etc etc ... I do like people with a bit more subtlety ... this is brilliant

forget Owen Coyle , Sam Allardyce , Alf Ramsay ... I want this guy http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42593337

Post #479808  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:48 am 

Daz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

In the movie after this cute meet they’d learn to love each other and lead us to glory overcoming hurdles like northern refs on their incredible journey.

I like it, closes eyes pictures the scene ....

"Wenger grabs Sven by the hand as they both walk into the sunset, Elgars Nimrod begins to play as both their silhouettes are seen on the horizon basking in the glory of success... cuts to end credits "

Post #479809  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:56 am 

With Monreal and Kolasinac injured and Elneny and Coq not having had much game time I expect Maitland-Niles to start at LB or LWB again today. The above 2 to start in central mid. A front 3 of Iwobi/Welbeck/Walcott. Nelson at either RWB in a 5 man defence or (much more excitingly) as part of a 3 man attack behind a central striker. This would be my preferred team
Ospina
Debuchy, Per, Holding, AMN
Coq, Elneny
Theo, Iwobi, Nelson
Welbeck

I think the fact Wenger hasn't rotated his team much over the busy Xmas period tells you everything you need to know about the strength of our squad

Post #479810  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:56 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Daz wrote:

If you can't understand that, in that situation, the dramatic collapse to the floor would obscure whether the kick was soft or not, even if he did see it, then more fool you.

To give expression to my anxiety and self-loathing.

Post #479811  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:59 am 

Daz wrote:
Craig Joubert...a Saffer in love with NZ ...

I'd flabberghasted to find a sane person who isn't ..... much as I'd like to pour myself a stiff rum and hang around and watch a few more rounds of you and Bubble ..... alas I must head to bed ...... Arsenal on at 5 am here :brushteeth:

Post #479812  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:03 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Daz wrote:

But while I’m here I can learn right?

How exactly does one event obscure the event that preceded it?

Post #479813  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:06 am 

Rich wrote:
With Monreal and Kolasinac injured and Elneny and Coq not having had much game time I expect Maitland-Niles to start at LB or LWB again today. The above 2 to start in central mid. A front 3 of Iwobi/Welbeck/Walcott. Nelson at either RWB in a 5 man defence or (much more excitingly) as part of a 3 man attack behind a central striker. This would be my preferred team
Ospina
Debuchy, Per, Holding, AMN
Coq, Elneny
Theo, Iwobi, Nelson
Welbeck

I think the fact Wenger hasn't rotated his team much over the busy Xmas period tells you everything you need to know about the strength of our squad

Wenger hardly ever rotate his team or change his tactics. He only allows some first teamers to rest for lesser competitions.

Post #479814  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:12 am 

warrior wrote:
Jack Wilshere is officially the most fouled player in the Premier League

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... layer.html

Hope he signs a new contract with us soon. Think he can do the Cazorla role well but won't be too bad at the Özil role either.

Post #479815  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:03 am 

warrior wrote:
47 degrees C here today. A record temperature ...

It's always great to make records.

Post #479816  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:57 am 

Goonie wrote:
warrior wrote:
Jack Wilshere is officially the most fouled player in the Premier League

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... layer.html

Hope he signs a new contract with us soon. Think he can do the Cazorla role well but won't be too bad at the Özil role either.

I think it is a no brainer. I understand the risk of his injury record but we can't lose Jack for free. This isn't like Özil or Sanchez. Jack wants to play for us. With Jack playing as he is and with the protection of a 3/4 year deal then he is a £30m+ player.

Also, funny how Wenger has been moaning for years about better protection for players, but I saw as soon as Pep started asking for protection for players like De Bruyn the press were all over it agreeing with him. The only response Wenger ever got was to toughen our players up and deal with these sorts of tactics. I think we all knew at the time that it would need a serious injury to an england/media favourite for anyone to start noticing.

Post #479817  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:30 pm 

A few stories going around that Wenger may decide to move upstairs this summer and has earmarked Arteta as his potential successor. Whilst it's pleasing to see he may go I don't like this suggestion as Wenger would still be around to interfere with matters and his selection of Arteta who is a relative novice to manage a club of our size isn't preferable compared to other options.

If this occurred it would a disaster as our fans would be left to wait for a new dawn when a complete change of board and management would be required to liberate arsenal from Wengers clutches and create a modern new football club from the ashes and remains of what Wenger had left.

This only ends when Wenger goes and we rip down that ridiculous statue the board built of him.

Post #479818  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:56 pm 

Do you really think you can start doing stuff like this and it's not going to go to the managers head and create a superiority complex. What a joke

Attachments:

Post #479819  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:09 pm 

Anyway amid all the farcical bias against us from northern refs envious of our southern ways (they're only human) perfectly placed to see a player falling over but not the kick that preceded it, it falls upon me to try and restore a touch of levity by pointing out that Notts County have a right-back endearingly named Tootles. It made me laugh a lot especially as he was their Number 2. My son didn't think it was as funny as I did and kept saying "oh shut up, dad" whenever I shouted "played Tootles!". He can be disappointingly dour and disapproving at times - I get enough of that on here.

Looking forward to the game this afternoon - it's tempting to support the underdogs but FA cup wins are just so last season - I'll be cheering for Forest.

Tootles for now!

Post #479820  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:12 pm 

i saw a sign at Stoke that said 'Hughes Out'. Copy and paste that to any club he's managed since Blackburn. I notice (and I suspect it was always like this) there are several managers, British for the most part who basically play musical chairs in and out of the EPL and Championship more or less. I don't have the full listing but a few off the top of my head

Hughes
(fat Sam) Allardyce...yes, I will always refer to him as such
Pardew
(Chris) Coleman
Steve Bruce
Moyes
Pulis
Redknapp

Post #479821  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:44 pm 

Regarding Hoy's point about no refs coming from London, whiich I accept looks odd, I'd say this regarding his idea this may go against Arsenal's best interests.

I'd have thought the two sets of supporters most anti-Arsenal were Tottenham and Chelsea fans. Not having any referees from London surely decreases the chances of getting Tottenham or Chelsea fans refereeing Arsenal games. I'd have thought anyway. In the long distant days when we used to compete for the title with Manchester United or Liverpool, I wouldn't have wanted fans of those clubs refereeing our games. But with those past exceptions, I'd much rather fans of north-east and yorkshire clubs, or north west teams at the moment taking charge of Arsenal's matches than Tottenham or Chelsea supporters.

Post #479822  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:45 pm 

Daz wrote:
Anyway amid all the farcical bias against us from northern refs envious of our southern ways (they're only human) perfectly placed to see a player falling over but not the kick that preceded it, it falls upon me to try and restore a touch of levity by pointing out that Notts County have a right-back endearingly named Tootles. It made me laugh a lot especially as he was their Number 2. My son didn't think it was as funny as I did and kept saying "oh shut up, dad" whenever I shouted "played Tootles!". He can be disappointingly dour and disapproving at times - I get enough of that on here.

Looking forward to the game this afternoon - it's tempting to support the underdogs but FA cup wins are just so last season - I'll be cheering for Forest.

Tootles for now!

Perhaps Tootles could join my fledgling Drugs XI - so far I've only signed Bong from Brighton.

Post #479823  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Regarding Hoy's point about no refs coming from London, whiich I accept looks odd, I'd say this regarding his idea this may go against Arsenal's best interests.

I'd have thought the two sets of supporters most anti-Arsenal were Tottenham and Chelsea fans. Not having any referees from London surely decreases the chances of getting Tottenham or Chelsea fans refereeing Arsenal games. I'd have thought anyway. In the long distant days when we used to compete for the title with Manchester United or Liverpool, I wouldn't have wanted fans of those clubs refereeing our games. But with those past exceptions, I'd much rather fans of north-east and yorkshire clubs, or north west teams at the moment taking charge of Arsenal's matches than Tottenham or Chelsea supporters.

I used to sit near Halsey's brother in the Clock End at Highbury. Apparently Mark Halsey is a Chelsea fan. Heard that he was anxious NOT to appear biased which is understandable.

The odious Mike Dean is merseyside based - like you I would have thought he might be as prejudiced - if not more - against Manchester clubs but my overwhelming suspicion is that he is the kind of preening *%^@ who would give red cards and penalties against anybody. The evidence does suggest he hates us but I'm not sure that's a London thing.

Post #479824  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:11 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Daz wrote:

Tootles for now!

Perhaps Tootles could join my fledgling Drugs XI - so far I've only signed Bong from Brighton.

Charlie Austin must have a place?

Post #479825  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:16 pm 

Don’t refs have to declare their allegiance and then not ref any of their games?
Wasn’t there an issue when Leicester won the title that a Leicester supporting ref reffed a spurs game late in the season and people complained that he had an interest in spurs losing.
I don’t think refs go in to games deciding who they will or won’t give decisions to, but I do think certain situations influence refs.

Forgetting penalties, how often have we been bullied at home, bad tackles, roughed up and then had wenger complain about it after? Very rare. Compare it to how often that happened or was let to happen away from home. Games against Man U, Bolton and stoke are a prime example

Post #479826  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:28 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Daz wrote:

Tootles for now!

Stashley Cole? Kaspar Smackal?

Post #479827  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:39 pm 

Gary Speed obvious choice as player/manager

Post #479828  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:39 pm 

Daz wrote:
I used to sit near Halsey's brother in the Clock End at Highbury. Apparently Mark Halsey is a Chelsea fan. Heard that he was anxious NOT to appear biased which is understandable

Yes I've no doubt referees would want to appear unbiased. Indeed, that could make the fan of a specific club be harsher than normal on it when or if he takes their games.

Post #479829  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:42 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Stashley Cole? Kaspar Smackal?

Smackal would have to fight for a place with Rob Green. Stashley and Charlie Austin are in and I can confirm I've tempted the ex Celtic player Rafael 'good' Scheidt out of retirement.

Post #479830  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:43 pm 

Rich wrote:
Forgetting penalties, how often have we been bullied at home, bad tackles, roughed up and then had wenger complain about it after? Very rare.

You're kidding right? Wenger complains if other teams dare to set up defensively against us.

Post #479831  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:44 pm 

Daz wrote:

Tootles for now!

Wanka...........

Post #479832  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:46 pm 

Benzo Davies

Post #479833  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:48 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Daz wrote:

Tootles for now!

Wanka...........

Is that the drug that makes you incapable of seeing what you are looking straight at?

Post #479834  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:48 pm 

Daz wrote:
Benzo Davies

In. Plus former West Ham star Ade Cokehead.

Post #479835  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:02 pm 

Surprised the old man left out the star player, Diego Marajuana.

Post #479836  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:02 pm 

When it comes to football in England we all know through our own supporter exerience most people north of Watford can't abide Arsenal. For most of living memory we were the biggest and most successful London team and were seen as part of the rich establishment. This got on a lot of northern and midland folks' tits, and still does. We all know this is true by the zeal with which any victory over us is celebrated, or the half-hearted congratulations we get when victorious. Like Australia beating England at cricket, beating Arsenal is much more significant than a sports result. Envy; big time v small time; local pride; tripe and onions v pie and mash or whatever. You can understand why it happens. As time goes by and Chelsea continue to succeed they will probably inherit our role and we will drop back more into the "We beat Tottenham or West Ham, so what?" category. Until then don't be surprised over doubtful decisions by officials who cannot avoid carrying their regional biases into games.

I would like to know why there are no officials from London and the south-east.

Post #479837  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:02 pm 

David McCracken - a Scot - made two appearances for Brentford!

Post #479838  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:03 pm 

The fuhrer is clearly a little bitter ....

Attachments:

Post #479839  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:04 pm 

Daz wrote:
Rich wrote:
Forgetting penalties, how often have we been bullied at home, bad tackles, roughed up and then had wenger complain about it after? Very rare.

You're kidding right? Wenger complains if other teams dare to set up defensively against us.
Unlike any other manager?

Post #479840  Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:05 pm 

Ospina
Debuchy, per, holding
Nelson, Willicombe, elneny, amn
Walcott, iwobi
Welbeck

Chambers plus youth on the bench

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11993, 11994, 11995, 11996, 11997, 11998, 11999 ... 14269  Next