Fixtures Wednesday July 15th - Liverpool - Emirates Stadium - 8:15 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:57 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], long time gooner, warrior and 5 guests

 
Post #513721  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5966
Location: Townsville Australia

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Total myth. Against City he was pretty good going forward in the first 25. But defensively particularly after the first 25, then down his side they absolutely flooded down and he was out of position and continually left players spare. Then when he went into the back 3, a position he has played for Scotland he was absolutely terrible and outplayed totally. Traore took him apart in Wolves game. In the rush to want a British player as a success in the team he has been granted a Donald Trump immunity by supporters. It was him that failed to jump for Spurs second goal wasn't it. He is getting a free ride because simply the rest of defense is worse but this does not mean he is doing well at all.

Traore took him apart? eh? traore played up front in that game until Jota came on at which point Traore went wide and AMN was bought on to man mark him. Traore had 2 chances all game, 1 in the first 30 seonds straight through the heart of the team and one he chipped over the bar from a left side but hardly the wing back's fault. I thought it was one of the major talking points after the game how quiet Arsenal had managed to keep Wolves danger man Traore.
I saw a graphic yesterday of the 11 chances Spurs created in yesterday's game and every single one of them came from our right half of the pitch

He was taken off against Wolves. Did he jump for the Spurs goal? Simple question - Yes or No. Did he give away a really stupid penalty in an earlier game this season.- yes or no. Better than some other bog average defenders - nothing more.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513722  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

Rich wrote:
but also means we'll automatically lose around £30m in guaranteed revenue and who knows how it effects transfers.

I know what the impact is that it’ll have my money on. Just observing the forum, I’ll repeat what I’ve suggested a few times. People go on about selling this or that player and replacing him. I just don’t see it happening to any material extent. My advice is get used to the idea of the big majority of the current squad still being part of the squad next season.

This massive turnover in players that many want to see? In my view, it ain’t gonna happen.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513723  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 18513

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
but also means we'll automatically lose around £30m in guaranteed revenue and who knows how it effects transfers.

I know what the impact is that it’ll have my money on. Just observing the forum, I’ll repeat what I’ve suggested a few times. People go on about selling this or that player and replacing him. I just don’t see it happening to any material extent. My advice is get used to the idea of the big majority of the current squad still being part of the squad next season.

This massive turnover in players that many want to see? In my view, it ain’t gonna happen.


Hi Bernard,

So what you are really saying is get used to midtable mediocrity.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513724  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

socrates wrote:
So, as we suspected, FFP is a complete waste of time because the big clubs with the cleverest lawyers can simply find a way to circumnavigate the rules.

I am sick of PL clubs being owned by foreigners. The govt should never have allowed foreign ownership.

The only chance we have of competing at the top again is to find an owner willing to splash inordinate amounts of cash, and that says it all.

I saw Ivan Gazidis give loads of Q&As at various events including AGMs, end of season events, Diamond Club talks and so on. I think overall he performed badly as Arsenal’s chief executive. But following early optimism when he was trying to justify the self-sustaining strategy, one thing he was unusually frank about was politely saying FFP was a pointless waste of time. The loopholes weren’t just big, they were so big it would take less time to hitchhike from Lands End to John O’Groats than it would take to cross the loophole in a brand new Ferrari.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513725  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I know what the impact is that it’ll have my money on. Just observing the forum, I’ll repeat what I’ve suggested a few times. People go on about selling this or that player and replacing him. I just don’t see it happening to any material extent. My advice is get used to the idea of the big majority of the current squad still being part of the squad next season.

This massive turnover in players that many want to see? In my view, it ain’t gonna happen.

Hi Bernard,

So what you are really saying is get used to midtable mediocrity.

That’s my advice.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513726  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Rich wrote:
Traore took him apart? eh? traore played up front in that game until Jota came on at which point Traore went wide and AMN was bought on to man mark him. Traore had 2 chances all game, 1 in the first 30 seonds straight through the heart of the team and one he chipped over the bar from a left side but hardly the wing back's fault. I thought it was one of the major talking points after the game how quiet Arsenal had managed to keep Wolves danger man Traore.
I saw a graphic yesterday of the 11 chances Spurs created in yesterday's game and every single one of them came from our right half of the pitch

He was taken off against Wolves. Did he jump for the Spurs goal? Simple question - Yes or No. Did he give away a really stupid penalty in an earlier game this season.- yes or no. Better than some other bog average defenders - nothing more.

He was subbed against Wolves, because he was tiring after a long time out and games in quick succession - not because he was being 'taken apart' as you say. Yes he lost the header to Alderweireld and yes he conceded a silly penalty but I wouldn't lump him in with the other defenders most of us agree are not good enough for us.
I would have thought most people can see that his delivery from wide areas is more often than not pretty decent, and certainly the best final ball I've seen from an Arsenal full back for some time.
He's 19 games in to his Arsenal career and I think he's shown enough, british or not, to think there is something worth pursuing with and not chucking on a scrap heap with the rest of them so soon


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513727  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29224

socrates wrote:
Mustafi was so bad in the 2nd half I was half expecting Harry Kane to throw a custard pie in his face.

Sorta like having to choose between shot or stabbed to death, if you had to keep one but the other would have to go, Luiz or Mustafi?

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513728  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29224

I'm not even upset at the defending as much as I used to. We don't do well with defensive cast offs from rivals. Sol came to us at the peak of his powers. He wanted to stay in London with his family and win trophies. Since him? Gallas, great for a while, not strong enough mentally to lead a team to a title. Silvestre, 'nuff said. Luiz, 'nuff said.

I''m not going to be too harsh on Arteta until he gets the defense he needs.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513729  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11937

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

More than a little, he was superb at city for the first 25 minutes charging around like a madman. He struggled a bit at wolves but to say he’s no good at crosses is ludicrous. He’s the most capable defender we have.

Our problems are obvious ..

Mustafi, Xhaka, Özil, kolasinac, Luiz and sadly I hate to admit it because I like him Bellerin. Our squad is clogged with players who aren’t good enough technically or motivated.

Total myth. Against City he was pretty good going forward in the first 25. But defensively particularly after the first 25, then down his side they absolutely flooded down and he was out of position and continually left players spare. Then when he went into the back 3, a position he has played for Scotland he was absolutely terrible and outplayed totally. Traore took him apart in Wolves game. In the rush to want a British player as a success in the team he has been granted a Donald Trump immunity by supporters. It was him that failed to jump for Spurs second goal wasn't it. He is getting a free ride because simply the rest of defense is worse but this does not mean he is doing well at all.


We lost the city game because of individual errors from David Luiz and we actually won againest wolves.

If you want to be super critical you could criticise him for that goal yesterday but what on Earth the left back is doing picking up Alderweirld for the corner instead of our 3 centre halves I have no idea. Sheer lunacy and a lack of organisation.

Your talking codswallop mate.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513730  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11937

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
but also means we'll automatically lose around £30m in guaranteed revenue and who knows how it effects transfers.

I know what the impact is that it’ll have my money on. Just observing the forum, I’ll repeat what I’ve suggested a few times. People go on about selling this or that player and replacing him. I just don’t see it happening to any material extent. My advice is get used to the idea of the big majority of the current squad still being part of the squad next season.

This massive turnover in players that many want to see? In my view, it ain’t gonna happen.


I think your right ...

Özil ain’t going nowhere with that contract
Kolasinac probably getting paid twice what he should be because he was a Bosman, who will pay his salary and take him off our hands?
Xhaka out of contract in 2023.
Luiz just renewed his contract!,,

Etc etc etc if you know what I mean. We’re talking about replacing players with little transfer value on huge wages. We’re not going to have the budget. I think your right we will be complaining about these guys for some time yet and the revolution won’t be televised because it won’t be happening.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513731  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

TOP GUN wrote:
Kolasinac probably getting paid twice what he should be because he was a Bosman, who will pay his salary and take him off our hands?

And the free transfer market is the dangerous market we're going to be shopping in this summer.
With no Europe, and no recent pedigree that may resonate with younger players the only thing swinging signings our way might be a big pay day.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513732  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

So City have still been fined £10m. So one would assume they are guilty of something. It is utterly pointless to fine a side guilty of breaking financial fair play rules. Just toss the whole lot out of the winder and give up. There is no incentive to run a club properly, no incentive to reach higher through proper means because you can just find an oil barren who can take you there immediately - or someone else will find one and push you down further.

Aren't Newcastle's prospective Saudi owners 10 times richer than City's owners? God help football


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513733  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4521

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
Hi Bernard,

So what you are really saying is get used to midtable mediocrity.


That’s my advice.


Don't agree. I think we are good enough for top 6. I can see 1 or 2 coming in.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513734  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

Every week I change my opinion on where the team needs the most urgent work. Apart from GK you could make a case for all positions.
Seeing the effect Fernandes has had on Man U shows what we lack from attacking central midfielders. The days of a luxury 10, particularly in a 4-2-1-3 formation are long gone. Özil might as well give up on football. No team is having a guy who has such a free reign to play as they feel and not contribute without the ball.
We know we need a holding dynamic midfielder and a new CB. But looking at the way Arteta might want to play - and taking reference from City and Liverpool (and most top teams) the full back positions are key.
Finally those wide forwards. Man U's front 3 are banging in goals and assisting each other. Firminho/Salah/Mane have been doing it for a few years, as have Aguero/Sterling/Sane/Silva/Mahrez whichever 3 they choose.
These teams can attack with just these 3 plus a full back or midfielder and still be incredibly dangerous whilst still maintaining at least 5 players keeping the back door shut.
The attributes of the current squad just don't come close to what the current en vogue style for successful teams is.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513735  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 2032

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Total myth. Against City he was pretty good going forward in the first 25. But defensively particularly after the first 25, then down his side they absolutely flooded down and he was out of position and continually left players spare. Then when he went into the back 3, a position he has played for Scotland he was absolutely terrible and outplayed totally. Traore took him apart in Wolves game. In the rush to want a British player as a success in the team he has been granted a Donald Trump immunity by supporters. It was him that failed to jump for Spurs second goal wasn't it. He is getting a free ride because simply the rest of defense is worse but this does not mean he is doing well at all.


We lost the city game because of individual errors from David Luiz and we actually won againest wolves.

If you want to be super critical you could criticise him for that goal yesterday but what on Earth the left back is doing picking up Alderweirld for the corner instead of our 3 centre halves I have no idea. Sheer lunacy and a lack of organisation.

Your talking codswallop mate.


:53big-emoticons:

_________________
'At Arsenal it was always the same 8 or 9 who stayed behind after training. And I guarantee if you do that you'll become a better player'


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513736  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7970

Gunfire wrote:
Don't agree. I think we are good enough for top 6. I can see 1 or 2 coming in.

I can see one or two arrivals, but check the posts of numerous people. They appear to be talking about a lot more than one or two.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513737  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

I like looking at the xG stats for games, it gives a better reference than merely shots on target or possession. I think for example when Southampton beat City 1-0 City had an expected goals of 3.5. Meaning they were all over them and on any other day they'd have won comfortably. It was a useful stat in explaining how Emery's 22 game unbeaten run was over achieving the performances. It also shows that in Arteta's games before lockdown Arsenal out performed their xG against. We conceded maybe 12 but the xG would have expected us to conceded about 20 given the chances we gave up. Since lockdown it has returned to a statistical normal with the two stats very similar. I like it because it gives a better indication of luck and longer term patterns you can expect. When Arsenal concede 12 but would have expected to concede 20 that is more about opponents finishing and shows there are still holes to patch up in a defence that for that period isn't getting punished.

One failing of xG is a chance such as Aubameyang's miss kick from Bellerin's cut back early on yesterday. It was clearly a very very good chance, but in terms of xG and the likelihood of it being a goal it ranks as a 0 (on a 0 to 1 scale with a penalty being up around 0.8) because Aubameyang didn't actually take a shot.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513738  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
Don't agree. I think we are good enough for top 6. I can see 1 or 2 coming in.

I can see one or two arrivals, but check the posts of numerous people. They appear to be talking about a lot more than one or two.

There will always be a difference in what fans want, what fans think we need and what the club does or can do. It has been that way ever since I've been a fan and is probably the same for all but 3 clubs in the league. Those 3 clubs can create their fantasy transfer window and often see it actually play out.

Since last summer we've already signed 2 players, Cédric and Mari, and Saliba is coming in. We've been particularly poor at moving players on and part of getting new players in is getting the old ones out. I saw this morning that Elneny will return to us as Besiktas don't want him. We have such a long list of players we don't want or don't need and can't get rid of.

There is a list of players who simply have to go. Then there is a list of players who we would sell if it meant they raised a decent fee to bring in better suited players. Then you're left with about 6-7 players.

I would agree that maybe 2 max incomings would be realistic, but if we cant sell anyone then I'd be surprised if we sign anyone else.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513739  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11937

Paul Merson: “I don’t care if you’ve got Guardiola sitting on Mourinho’s lap, on top of Sir Alex Ferguson’s lap, on top of Arsène Wenger’s lap & all four of them are one manager; if you’ve got a defender who can’t pass the ball five yards to another defender, you are in trouble.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513740  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2267

Oh that UEFA comment on the City appeal outcome.
Just say what was probably really said down to the wire, as a more acceptable argument to overturn the appeal. City don't want to see Pep walk away, players that are in their prime possibly moving on. City won the Carabao Cup, are in the FA Cup semi against Arsenal upcoming, maybe with a win to the final. And in pole position to be in next season's CL, let alone another chance to take the PL title back. Therefore, it's in the best interests to overturn this appeal in favour of the noisy neighbours.
Today money walked and bullshite talked. :14laughter:
Sorry.... :15laughter:

_________________
Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down....
Jimmy Durante


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513741  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

If you ask anyone on football to rank the defences of Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs we’d come last in most fans ratings. However we have conceded fewer goals than both chelsea and spurs. So is it because the goals we concede tend to have a high proportion of mistakes?
Obviously we’re behind both in the table so that had a say in it. But Burnley are below us and conceded more but you wouldn’t hear much said about their calamitous defence, on the contrary Burnley are thought of as relatively tight and organised.

I suppose also you can win 3 games 3-2 or lose 3 games 2-0 and you’ve conceded the same amount of goals but the team who is losing will come under much more scrutiny as the defence cost the game


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513742  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

Absolutely no coincidence that Man U have got their mojo back by basing the team around pace and power. The front 3 are exceptionally quick, both full backs are quick.
In the spine of the team, maguire, Lindelof, matic, pogba, Fernandes all 6 foot plus powerful players.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513743  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

Romeu on greenwood- very similar contact on the ankle as Aubameyang vs the palace player. Var looks at it nothing given. I can’t help but feel we’ve been on the rough end of the inconsistency of var far too frequently this season.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513744  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

https://arseblog.com/2020/07/tactics-co ... y-blanket/

Interesting read on teams who press us vs teams who don't. Spurs didn't press us and we struggled for creativity, Arteta probably should have switched to a back 4 and put the extra man (willock or Saka) in central midfield to add some direct running. Almost certainly Arteta would have been cautious about doing this given it could have left Mustafi and Luiz 2 v 2 against Kane and Son


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513745  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

Southampton score very late equaliser v Man U.
Wonder what the inquest in the media will be after for the Man U defence. Didn’t win the header from the corner and then Lindelof never got goalside of his man who tapped it in. If it was Luiz and Mustafi they would be absolutely panned


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513746  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7377

Rich wrote:
Southampton score very late equaliser v Man U.
Wonder what the inquest in the media will be after for the Man U defence. Didn’t win the header from the corner and then Lindelof never got goalside of his man who tapped it in. If it was Luiz and Mustafi they would be absolutely panned

It's worth looking at the league table. Liverpool have been phenomenal. City just about OK but quite poor by their standards. After that it's varying shades of mediocre. Whoever finishes third this season won't get to 70 points. Chelsea have lost eleven league games and are still 3rd. Eleven. Really poor campaigns by all the big clubs except for Liverpool.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513747  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5966
Location: Townsville Australia

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We lost the city game because of individual errors from David Luiz and we actually won againest wolves.

If you want to be super critical you could criticise him for that goal yesterday but what on Earth the left back is doing picking up Alderweirld for the corner instead of our 3 centre halves I have no idea. Sheer lunacy and a lack of organisation.

Your talking codswallop mate.


:53big-emoticons:

Well the proof will be in the team for Liverpool. Obvious change is Tierney to go into the back 3 if he so good, and Saka to be left midfield. Why that wasn't the set up for the last game defies logic.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513748  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Your talking codswallop mate.


:53big-emoticons:[/quote]
Well the proof will be in the team for Liverpool. Obvious change is Tierney to go into the back 3 if he so good, and Saka to be left midfield. Why that wasn't the set up for the last game defies logic.[/quote]
I think the logic was that same set up had won 4 of the last 5. Saka hasn’t played wing back for some time. He was mostly used as a traditional left back when he first broke through mid season.

I’m not sure what proof on Tierney’s ability the team sheet for the Liverpool game will give? Are you suggesting if Tierney is deployed in the back 3 it proves Tierney is rubbish and Arteta doesn’t fancy him as a left wing back? Or that if Tierney isn’t moved in to the back 3 it proves he can’t be up to all that because of the rubbish back 3 we already have? Both seem pretty illogical arguments to justify your view on Tierney


 Profile  
 
 
Post #513749  Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 16031

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:
Southampton score very late equaliser v Man U.
Wonder what the inquest in the media will be after for the Man U defence. Didn’t win the header from the corner and then Lindelof never got goalside of his man who tapped it in. If it was Luiz and Mustafi they would be absolutely panned

It's worth looking at the league table. Liverpool have been phenomenal. City just about OK but quite poor by their standards. After that it's varying shades of mediocre. Whoever finishes third this season won't get to 70 points. Chelsea have lost eleven league games and are still 3rd. Eleven. Really poor campaigns by all the big clubs except for Liverpool.

We came 5th with 70 points a few seasons back. Agree it is been a poor season for 5 of traditional big 6. But like the Leicester title winning season


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 513749 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12840, 12841, 12842, 12843, 12844

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], long time gooner, warrior and 5 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018