Fixtures Thurs March 11th - Olympiacos - Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium - Europa League - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:16 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bernard, Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 12 guests

 
Post #509321  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

How true ..... Mancini , Hudson , Clichy , Brady , Williams , Mertesacker , Ljungberg .......... some people can be so unbelievably obsessed

Look who’s talking!

:laughing7: is that your best response ... debating was never your forte


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509322  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:27 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 8802

kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: is that your best response ... debating was never your forte

Perhaps I just don’t find debating with you interesting enough to bother with?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509323  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13074

Kirk Douglas one of the great actors. Probably one of the last of Hollywood’s golden generation. Loved his movies as a kid,

I am Spartacus


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509324  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 9123

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Whats your thoughts on Xhaka and Torriera? I feel that Xhaka makes us unbalanced. He is pretty slow and all the time when Guendouzi is playing he has to drop back and get the ball from the keeper. He should be breaking upfield to open up forward passes. But Xhaka's weakness means they do not trust him to get the ball first. His thought process is slow.

When torriera plays it often gets very ugly with balls distributed by the keeper to either of them. Torriera is more mobile but he needs a good defensive midfielder. I know they don't grow on trees but everything gets bogged down after the keeper gets the ball. If he belts it up the field we don't seem to have any ability to win it - Guendouzi is a poor header, Torriera is too short and Özil and Wilock seem incapable of getting it. If the ball starts coming straight back at them it is easy to get around Xhaka with any player with speed.

Then the keeper plays it short to luis, Guendouzi or Xhaka - the first two are slow and easier to shut down. Luis and Xhaka will pass the ball to anyone including many players in a worse position. It happened with luis a number of times against Burnley. I think overall others have to cover for Xhaka's weaknesses and often provide additional cover - this means the go forward in the team is terrible in the midfield.


Xhaka is limited in his play. He has not done enough to be relied upon to launch offensive attacks. Torreira is useful to break opponent's attacks. But, similar to Xhaka (and Guendozi), has not s=done enough to be relied upon for that quick offensive play.

I don't like the playing out of goal routine. We are slow and nobody seems to know, or dare, to pass it forward. Almost everyone takes the safe path to pass backwards, or across.


As a short term measure until like of Willock & Guendouzi are really ready, I wonder if it's worthwhile to get either or both(!) of Rakitic and Vidal who are no longer first choice at Barcelona it seems.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509325  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: is that your best response ... debating was never your forte

Perhaps I just don’t find debating with you interesting enough to bother with?

Fair point ...... I wouldn't either if I was getting my butt whipped on every ocassion ....NZ 23 Germany 0 :6encouragement: :brushteeth: Night night


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509326  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 9123

The new Nigeria home kit is super nice.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509327  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:00 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 8802

kiwipete wrote:
Fair point ...... I wouldn't either if I was getting my butt whipped on every ocassion ....NZ 23 Germany 0 :6encouragement: :brushteeth: Night night

You presumably did that post so that you can consider yourself as having the last word. It’ll be interesting to see if this post by me makes you respond again.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509328  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 am
Posts: 3669
Location: Melbourne

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Xhaka is limited in his play. He has not done enough to be relied upon to launch offensive attacks. Torreira is useful to break opponent's attacks. But, similar to Xhaka (and Guendozi), has not s=done enough to be relied upon for that quick offensive play.

I don't like the playing out of goal routine. We are slow and nobody seems to know, or dare, to pass it forward. Almost everyone takes the safe path to pass backwards, or across.


As a short term measure until like of Willock & Guendouzi are really ready, I wonder if it's worthwhile to get either or both(!) of Rakitic and Vidal who are no longer first choice at Barcelona it seems.


I like Torreira but his first touch is almost always too heavy and his passing limited. But it is the predictability of our play from the back that is killing us more than the personnel.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509329  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:12 am
Posts: 3669
Location: Melbourne

Goonie wrote:
The new Nigeria home kit is super nice.


Looks like one of those "tear to open here" boxes that never works.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509330  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:52 pm
Posts: 13159

TOP GUN wrote:
Kirk Douglas one of the great actors. Probably one of the last of Hollywood’s golden generation. Loved his movies as a kid,

I am Spartacus

Google Kirk Douglas and Natalie Wood. Allegedly he raped her when she was a 16 year old. Proper assault too.

_________________
There's a man who's been out sailing in a decade full of dreams


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509331  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 23124

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Kirk Douglas one of the great actors. Probably one of the last of Hollywood’s golden generation. Loved his movies as a kid,

I am Spartacus

Google Kirk Douglas and Natalie Wood. Allegedly he raped her when she was a 16 year old. Proper assault too.

Hmm. Allegedly is the key word here. It looks like unsubstantiated malicious gossip.

https://www.indy100.com/article/natalie ... od-9320756

https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2020/02/06 ... g-the-lie/

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509332  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7136

Cup game at Portsmouth will be played on the evening of Monday 2nd March 19:45 - it'll be shown on BT Sports


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509333  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 5317
Location: SE9

TOP GUN wrote:
Kirk Douglas one of the great actors. Probably one of the last of Hollywood’s golden generation. Loved his movies as a kid,

I am Spartacus

No - I am Spartacus!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509334  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2571

grantyboy wrote:
Goonie wrote:
The new Nigeria home kit is super nice.


Looks like one of those "tear to open here" boxes that never works.

Hmmm..still prefer this one.


Attachments:


_________________
Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down....
Jimmy Durante
 Profile  
 
 
Post #509335  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2571

Attachment:

Greeny wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
No - I am Spartacus!

I am Spartacus, and so is my wife!

The one and only... :angel8:

_________________
Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down....
Jimmy Durante


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509336  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Fair point ...... I wouldn't either if I was getting my butt whipped on every ocassion ....NZ 23 Germany 0 :6encouragement: :brushteeth: Night night

You presumably did that post so that you can consider yourself as having the last word. It’ll be interesting to see if this post by me makes you respond again.

:12hello-bye: Happy to oblige ; in order to keep your social experiment humming

....... although frankly a debate with you is like trying to explain how a turbocharger works to a three year old .

NZ 24 Germany 0


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509337  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30351

I recall many years ago we were hammering Pompey there maybe up 5-1 or whatever and they were still singing their hearts out. I was very impressed with their support.
Vacationing in Asia, I met a guy from Portsmouth who told me about their rivalry with Soton and how it actually was an extension of the shipping industry and jobs. Very interesting.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509338  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Kirk Douglas one of the great actors. Probably one of the last of Hollywood’s golden generation. Loved his movies as a kid,

I am Spartacus

Google Kirk Douglas and Natalie Wood. Allegedly he raped her when she was a 16 year old. Proper assault too.


You'll also find Google spouting Lee Harvey Oswald assassinated Kennedy even though 61% of Americans think that is horsesh*t .

I've no idea whether that is true or false but plenty of young actresses were quite happy to use their bodies to make it in the movie business .


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509339  Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:37 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 8802

kiwipete wrote:
:12hello-bye: Happy to oblige ; in order to keep your social experiment humming

....... although frankly a debate with you is like trying to explain how a turbocharger works to a three year old .

NZ 24 Germany 0

I suppose being a social experiment is your main asset.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509340  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 9123

Zed wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Looks like one of those "tear to open here" boxes that never works.

Hmmm..still prefer this one.

I actually prefer their all dark green away 2018 WC kit. Nike's efforts with us was not that bad either, especially from 2000.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509341  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2571

Goonie wrote:
Zed wrote:
Hmmm..still prefer this one.

I actually prefer their all dark green away 2018 WC kit. Nike's efforts with us was not that bad either, especially from 2000.

Well yeah....but I like the pattern on this one. It was an overnight best seller.

_________________
Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down....
Jimmy Durante


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509342  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2571

I imagine many are aware of this.... :8surprise:
https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/06/arsenal- ... -12195811/

_________________
Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down....
Jimmy Durante


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509343  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30351

Hmmm...on the face of it I wouldn't support Wenger's return for two reasons. First, Wenger is autocratic in his demeanor. What role would he play? Sporting director? Or whatever? I can't see it working. I could see a place on the board possibly as an advocate for us since Kroenke respects him. Second, why? Bringing Wenger back is good for Wenger possibly but I fail to see why he's needed.

If any one at the club would like his input or advice, Arteta including, why pay him for it. Call him and ask his opinion. He'd be happy to give it for free. :icon_mrgreen:

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509344  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:12hello-bye: Happy to oblige ; in order to keep your social experiment humming

....... although frankly a debate with you is like trying to explain how a turbocharger works to a three year old .

NZ 24 Germany 0

I suppose being a social experiment is your main asset.


:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: NZ 25 Germany 0


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509345  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 9123

Zed wrote:
Goonie wrote:
I actually prefer their all dark green away 2018 WC kit. Nike's efforts with us was not that bad either, especially from 2000.

Well yeah....but I like the pattern on this one. It was an overnight best seller.

I hope Adidas follow up on the good work of this season's kit. It would be a nice touch for next season's kit to pay homage to our 1990/91 season.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509346  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Zed wrote:
I imagine many are aware of this.... :8surprise:
https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/06/arsenal- ... -12195811/

:laughing7: Metro had a gap in their sports section ... " Quick Coral [ the writer ] help us out here , concoct a page filler " .

Considering most Arsenal fans wanted Wenger to take a coaching role somewhere in the middle of the Kalahari Desert .... this quote

"The Arsenal board think Wenger’s return would serve as a boost to the fans and increase the support for Arteta." ......... is the equivalent of a supertanker of horsesh*t .

Arsene has had his day in the sun ; lost his mojo completely . I'd say he is too fosilised in his views to be of any help to anyone .

I'd prefer to see George Graham back at Arsenal than Wenger at least he'd sort out the defence .



Lovely sporting moment the other day in the cricket ... Kane Williamson , Kiwi skipper watching the match sideline with opposing captain Virat Kohli .

https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-news ... 2020-02-03

Never seen that before


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509347  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30351

Regarding Wenger, either he has turned down jobs that he thinks is below his level or he's not been contacted for many jobs. Somewhere inbetween?
Longer he goes without a managerial job the harder it is to get a good one.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509348  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 6273
Location: Townsville Australia

Zed wrote:
I imagine many are aware of this.... :8surprise:
https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/06/arsenal- ... -12195811/

How about Wenger writes his book first. Probably just a load of rubbish this report. If I found out it was true and Arteta actually believed that the fans would welcome Wenger back then I would know he has no f...en clue at all and he would have to go.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509349  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 9123

If the club want Wenger back, it's probably for his connections to French and to some extent African football. Like Edu for his Brazil's connections.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509350  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:06 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 8802

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I suppose being a social experiment is your main asset.

:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: NZ 25 Germany 0

Sounds like a rugby score. Wouldn’t be a football score.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509351  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 17875

Lallana is a free agent in the summer, he’s 31, fits the bill of the sort of creative, ball playing attacking midfielder we need. He has the high work rate and press from working with Klopp. If we need to push money in to other positions in the team he could be an ok short term free transfer


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509352  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30351

Fabregas is "only" 32. :7laughter:

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509353  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 17875

If we're looking at a try before you buy with Cédric, because he's a free transfer the summer then we should also be looking at Meuiner, he's spent a fair amount of time at PSG and in the Belgian national team, right-back, 28 and on paper better than Cédric


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509354  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 17875

In an effort to sort out contracts and stop us having valuable players run them down and leave for free, the new hierarchy at the cub said a decision would be made on each player with only 2 years left on his deal (the decision presumably being to sell or give a new contract) the only exception were players running in towards retirement where their value to us as a player was more than any value we get from selling them for a pitance

So players with only 12 months left in the summer are:
Aubamayang
Özil
Sokratis
Luiz
Mustafi

Players who will have 2 years left in the summer are:
Lacazette
Guendouzi
Kolasinac
Chambers
Ntekiah
Martinez

How many of those 11 would you give a new deal to?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509355  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13074

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Kirk Douglas one of the great actors. Probably one of the last of Hollywood’s golden generation. Loved his movies as a kid,

I am Spartacus

Google Kirk Douglas and Natalie Wood. Allegedly he raped her when she was a 16 year old. Proper assault too.


Read that, I have to say it seems a bit tenuous. Her sister said it was a big actor so everyone assumes it’s always been him. Really not enough to vilify him but if he did he’s a b****** nevertheless.

Everyone was far more rapey and noncey from the 50s to the 90s pretty much weren’t they ?

I watched the Netflix documentary “tell me who I am” the other night, it’s a Difficult watch but eye opening and at the end of it your left despairing for humanity


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509356  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13074

Rich wrote:
Lallana is a free agent in the summer, he’s 31, fits the bill of the sort of creative, ball playing attacking midfielder we need. He has the high work rate and press from working with Klopp. If we need to push money in to other positions in the team he could be an ok short term free transfer


I’d blow our entire budget on a creative midfielder player. Maybe an Isco or similar.

We need somebody who can get the ball down and get the team playing even if it means sacrificing the purchase of a centre half


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509357  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:52 pm
Posts: 13159

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Lallana is a free agent in the summer, he’s 31, fits the bill of the sort of creative, ball playing attacking midfielder we need. He has the high work rate and press from working with Klopp. If we need to push money in to other positions in the team he could be an ok short term free transfer


I’d blow our entire budget on a creative midfielder player. Maybe an Isco or similar.

We need somebody who can get the ball down and get the team playing even if it means sacrificing the purchase of a centre half

I think so too. We have *%^@ all goals from midfield too. It wasn't that long ago we had players of the calibre of Cazorla, Ramsey, Rosicky etc. Players who would regularly chip in with goals. We have nothing like that and no one to help unlock teams.

_________________
There's a man who's been out sailing in a decade full of dreams


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509358  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13647

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: NZ 25 Germany 0

Sounds like a rugby score. Wouldn’t be a football score.
And Peter has appointed himself ref and scorer. Var needs to check all of those.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509359  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13647

kiwipete wrote:
Darren wrote:
Google Kirk Douglas and Natalie Wood. Allegedly he raped her when she was a 16 year old. Proper assault too.


You'll also find Google spouting Lee Harvey Oswald assassinated Kennedy even though 61% of Americans think that is horsesh*t .

I've no idea whether that is true or false but plenty of young actresses were quite happy to use their bodies to make it in the movie business .
But it was an open secret that much of the casting-couch stuff was not voluntary. Top holywood dogs got away with it.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #509360  Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 6273
Location: Townsville Australia

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Sounds like a rugby score. Wouldn’t be a football score.
And Peter has appointed himself ref and scorer. Var needs to check all of those.

If it’s the same refs who do All Blacks games he has open slather

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 524852 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12731, 12732, 12733, 12734, 12735, 12736, 12737 ... 13122  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bernard, Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 12 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018