Fixtures Saturday November 23rd - Southampton - Emirates Stadium - 3:00 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:46 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie, warrior and 8 guests

 
Post #503401  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11209

Worst ten arsenal midfielders ? :laughing7:

Where do you start


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503402  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7250

TOP GUN wrote:
Worst ten arsenal midfielders ? :laughing7:

Where do you start

Xhaka?

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503403  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7391

bubblechris wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Although any of Inter, Napoli, Sevilla, Valencia, Villareal and Benfica could beat us over two legs, I'd make us the favourites against all of them. For me winning the Europa League still looks more likely than finishing above both Chelsea and Manchester United in the Premier League (assuming that overtaking Man City, Liverpool and Tottenham is beyond us).

What are you on. I'd love some if you've got any to spare................

Win the Europa when we can't even beat Bate away :42laughter: :1laughter: :1cry:

More chance of that in my view than finishing above both Manchester United AND Chelsea. Should we get through against BATE we won't have to meet all of the sides that were listed, and in two a legged round I'd fancy us to beat any of them.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503404  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 21670

Perhaps we should sign some Newport County players. They appear to be better than us at keeping Man City out (so far). :42laughter:

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503405  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 17843

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Oh, no he wasn't!

You must be on a wind up.
Go look at their respective records - Parlour was by far the greater achiever. No question about it.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503406  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 4533
Location: SE9

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Worst ten arsenal midfielders ? :laughing7:

Where do you start

Xhaka?

Yes, plus how about Frimpong, Hillier, McGoldrick?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503407  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7250

bromley gooner wrote:
dec wrote:
Xhaka?

Yes, plus how about Frimpong, Hillier, McGoldrick?

I was actually joking, although when you consider his transfer fee....jeez.

Hillier was the first one that came to mind for me. Jensen was bloody awful.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503408  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2134

In other news...Orlando Bloom and Katy Perry became engaged on Valentine's Day.
Lovely.
:5encouragement:

_________________
'So sweet, but oh so vicious' .... Mae West about Owney Madden


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503409  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11209

bromley gooner wrote:
dec wrote:
Xhaka?

Yes, plus how about Frimpong, Hillier, McGoldrick?


I’ve always believed and always will that Eddie Mgoldrick was the worst player that ever played for Arsenal. He made a comment about arsenal fans and that he wouldn’t piss on one if we were on fire. However you can always forgive someone who isn’t good enough and trying but he literally visibly came across like he didn’t give a *%^@ anyway and it was like he was playing for a pub pool team.

David Hillier can be criticised however he was very prescent in our 91 title winning team and if I recall correctly we only lost at Stamford bridge cause we had to play him at centre half because of injuries and if that hadn’t happened we would be singing songs today about George’s and Wengers invincibles


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503410  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7391

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
You must be on a wind up.
Go look at their respective records - Parlour was by far the greater achiever. No question about it.

He played with far better players so won far more. But Robson was better than Parlour and it's idiotic to claim differently. You're on a wind up. You have to be.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503411  Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7391

TOP GUN wrote:
Worst ten arsenal midfielders ? :laughing7:

Where do you start

In no particular order, for central midfielders how about Hillier, Selley, Morrow, Denilson, Court, Matthews, Gatting, Price, Jensen, Elneny? They all played plenty of games so I've avoided any hopeless gits who came on as a late sub in a couple of League Cup ties.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503412  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 4533
Location: SE9

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Worst ten arsenal midfielders ? :laughing7:

Where do you start

In no particular order, for central midfielders how about Hillier, Selley, Morrow, Denilson, Court, Matthews, Gatting, Price, Jensen, Elneny? They all played plenty of games so I've avoided any hopeless gits who came on as a late sub in a couple of League Cup ties.

Yes Bernard, that's a collection of stunning mediocrity. A reminder of some of the dross we've been served up over the years to counterbalance the better times.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503413  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8849

Thought BATE Borisov would provide us with a confidence booster with a run of wins before the Spurs match. Hope we bounce back quickly with a good performance and result.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503414  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8849

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Worst ten arsenal midfielders ? :laughing7:

Where do you start

Xhaka?


Xhaka will be our next captain when Koscielny eventually leaves. Not sure if that's a good thing for us though.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503415  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:32 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 am
Posts: 2273

Goonie wrote:
dec wrote:
Xhaka?


Xhaka will be our next captain when Koscielny eventually leaves. Not sure if that's a good thing for us though.

Interesting and thoughtful analysis. And yet, you've kind of made this up, haven't you?

_________________
'It's the gaps what rocks' - Steve Marriott


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503416  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:34 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 am
Posts: 2273

I only say this because Leno is actually going to be the next captain.

_________________
'It's the gaps what rocks' - Steve Marriott


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503417  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7391

mcquilkie wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Xhaka will be our next captain when Koscielny eventually leaves. Not sure if that's a good thing for us though.

Interesting and thoughtful analysis. And yet, you've kind of made this up, haven't you?

Judging by recent events, it's only a one year appointment anyway. :icon_mrgreen:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503418  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8849

mcquilkie wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Xhaka will be our next captain when Koscielny eventually leaves. Not sure if that's a good thing for us though.

Interesting and thoughtful analysis. And yet, you've kind of made this up, haven't you?

Going by Emery naming Kos, Čech, Özil, Ramsey and Xhaka as his captains at the start of the season. Likely Xhaka will outlast the other 4.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503419  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 4533
Location: SE9

Goonie wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Interesting and thoughtful analysis. And yet, you've kind of made this up, haven't you?

Going by Emery naming Kos, Čech, Özil, Ramsey and Xhaka as his captains at the start of the season. Likely Xhaka will outlast the other 4.

Hopefully Emery will see sense and realise that selecting one of our top 10 worst ever midfielders as captain isn't a great idea.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503420  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 18211

I see Guendouzi being linked with PSG for £60m+.

As much as that sounds it's peanuts in the context of the player he could become.

I actually read on twitter comments from some Arsenal fans who genuinely don't rate him. I don't know what games they are watching but this kid is 19 years old with the potential to become an absolute superstar.

It would be strange if the all the big clubs in europe were not monitoring his progress and if someone gets him for £60m that could be an absolute steal.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503421  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:04 pm 
Online

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 12995

DHD wrote:
Just as some weekends are chock full of high class sport, this week is the opposite. Couple of poxy cup ties in which I have no interest whatever, so I watched the cricket.

Wow!

South Africa v Sri Lanka - what a last session. Needing 304 in the final innings, Sri Lanka were well placed on 206-6, but SA took quick wickets and had it all but wrapped up at 226-9. Then Perera took control, farming the bowling to knock off the 78 runs needed. He finished on 153 not out and his partner Fernando faced 28 balls to score 6, 4 of which came from overthrows! Amazing game.

Were you watching, Decaf?

Indeed. Spectacular stuff. Perera's knock is one of the finest I've seen. SA still dont like pressure ... unable to bowl on the stumps to the no 11 or keep Perera off strike.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503422  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15174

socrates wrote:
I see Guendouzi being linked with PSG for £60m+.

As much as that sounds it's peanuts in the context of the player he could become.

I actually read on twitter comments from some Arsenal fans who genuinely don't rate him. I don't know what games they are watching but this kid is 19 years old with the potential to become an absolute superstar.

It would be strange if the all the big clubs in europe were not monitoring his progress and if someone gets him for £60m that could be an absolute steal.

I’m a big Guendouzi fan but we would have rebuffed £60m bids for Wilshere who was doing similar at the same age. If the bidding started going higher than that we’d have to seriously consider it given that we have lots of gaps to fill in the squad and £40m won’t cut it.
I’d have to look at it as weakening 1 position in order to strengthen 3 others


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503423  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7391

:22encouragement:
socrates wrote:
I see Guendouzi being linked with PSG for £60m+.

As much as that sounds it's peanuts in the context of the player he could become.

I actually read on twitter comments from some Arsenal fans who genuinely don't rate him. I don't know what games they are watching but this kid is 19 years old with the potential to become an absolute superstar.

It would be strange if the all the big clubs in europe were not monitoring his progress and if someone gets him for £60m that could be an absolute steal.

The worrying thing in the report I saw was that the £60m price was being set by Arsenal. I reckon Guendouzi could be worth £150m in the not too distant future. If they let him go for £60m, I hope I'd be able to give up on Arsenal because I don't see it being reinvested in the team anyway. My bet is it will be used towards paying off the loans Kroenke took out to buy his 100% stake in the club.

I agree with you socrates about any Arsenal fans who don't rate Guendouzi. They're beyond help. Still a teenager and he's already our best player, however good the likes of older and more experienced players including Torreira, Aubameyang and Lacazette might be.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503424  Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11209

Bernard wrote:
:22encouragement:
socrates wrote:
I see Guendouzi being linked with PSG for £60m+.

As much as that sounds it's peanuts in the context of the player he could become.

I actually read on twitter comments from some Arsenal fans who genuinely don't rate him. I don't know what games they are watching but this kid is 19 years old with the potential to become an absolute superstar.

It would be strange if the all the big clubs in europe were not monitoring his progress and if someone gets him for £60m that could be an absolute steal.

The worrying thing in the report I saw was that the £60m price was being set by Arsenal. I reckon Guendouzi could be worth £150m in the not too distant future. If they let him go for £60m, I hope I'd be able to give up on Arsenal because I don't see it being reinvested in the team anyway. My bet is it will be used towards paying off the loans Kroenke took out to buy his 100% stake in the club.

I agree with you socrates about any Arsenal fans who don't rate Guendouzi. They're beyond help. Still a teenager and he's already our best player, however good the likes of older and more experienced players including Torreira, Aubameyang and Lacazette might be.


How on Earth any arsenal fan couldn’t rate him is beyond me. He’s been our best player this year and if he could add a bit more quality to his incisive passing he will be one of the best midfielders in the world. He’s 19 so even in 3 years time he won’t be at his peak. I wouldn’t sell him for 90 let alone 60.

True quality stands out a mile and is easily visible for all to see. Despite arsenal fans raving about Xhaka and Ramsey no major clubs would even contemplate pursuing them if they weren’t going for free. Good players can demand a premium and quality stands out a mile. Guendouzi is quality


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503425  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:59 am
Posts: 16

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I'd be amazed if they achieved either. But I'd agree: 4th is the marginal less improbable of the two.

Although any of Inter, Napoli, Sevilla, Valencia, Villareal and Benfica could beat us over two legs, I'd make us the favourites against all of them. For me winning the Europa League still looks more likely than finishing above both Chelsea and Manchester United in the Premier League (assuming that overtaking Man City, Liverpool and Tottenham is beyond us).

Goonermen, lend me your ears!

4th place is the target, top 3 has gone
Napoli and Sevilla would be favourites on form
Man U are favourites on short-term form, Chelsea are not
The most likely scenario is 5th behind Man U, and a lacklustre 2 legged defeat somewhere in Europe
Wenger could have achieved that

_________________
Thank you for taking the time
Greeny


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503426  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:59 am
Posts: 16

Goonermen, lend me your ears!

Watching Guendouzi now is like watching Brady when he started
Watching Guendouzi now is like watching Robson when he started
Watching Guendouzi now is like watching Vieira when he started
Watching Guendouzi now is like watching Fabregas when he started

_________________
Thank you for taking the time
Greeny


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503427  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11209

If the Saudi royal family buy man united will any of it even matter anymore ? Would it even be worth debating.

I mean it’s literally over as a competitive sport at that point and it’s looking increasingly likely according to rumours


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503428  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11209

Greeny wrote:
Goonermen, lend me your ears!

Watching Guendouzi now is like watching Brady when he started
Watching Guendouzi now is like watching Robson when he started
Watching Guendouzi now is like watching Vieira when he started
Watching Guendouzi now is like watching Fabregas when he started


The only player I find it naturally easy to compare him to is actually Manu Petitt. Just the height, the ability to hold onto the ball under pressure, the distribution. The fact he is effectively the pivot from defence to attack.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503429  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7391

Greeny wrote:
Goonermen, lend me your ears!

4th place is the target, top 3 has gone
Napoli and Sevilla would be favourites on form
Man U are favourites on short-term form, Chelsea are not
The most likely scenario is 5th behind Man U, and a lacklustre 2 legged defeat somewhere in Europe
Wenger could have achieved that

Our form is inconsistent, but at anything even approaching our best we can beat Napoli or Sevilla. I'd still just about make us favourites to beat them. And if Wenger was still here I'd have seen sixth as a lot more likely than fifth, and closer to the likes of Wolves and Watford than we are.

Why do you start posts with 'Goonermen, lend me your ears!' We read your posts, we don't listen to them.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503430  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:15 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Posts: 4816
Location: ɹǝpu∩uʍop

Mesut Özil leaves UK amid standoff with Arsenal boss Unai Emery to take fiance to Turkey

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... b568e5094a


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503431  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15174

Bernard wrote:
Greeny wrote:
Goonermen, lend me your ears!

4th place is the target, top 3 has gone
Napoli and Sevilla would be favourites on form
Man U are favourites on short-term form, Chelsea are not
The most likely scenario is 5th behind Man U, and a lacklustre 2 legged defeat somewhere in Europe
Wenger could have achieved that

Our form is inconsistent, but at anything even approaching our best we can beat Napoli or Sevilla. I'd still just about make us favourites to beat them. And if Wenger was still here I'd have seen sixth as a lot more likely than fifth, and closer to the likes of Wolves and Watford than we are.

Why do you start posts with 'Goonermen, lend me your ears!' We read your posts, we don't listen to them.

Agreed, Europa win seems a more likely route to the CL. We have shown with games v Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea that we can pull it together. If we play 2 legs like we did v Chelsea for example I think there isn't a team left who would beat us.
I make Chelsea, Napoli and ourselves the best 3 left in the competition. I think we can beat any of them at home - the away leg is more tricky and our usual European undoing. Hopefully they can draw each other and we play 1 in the final. What odds Chelsea and Arsenal finishing 5th and 6th and meeting in the Europa final for a Champions League place as well as the trophy? It could really make or break each team in the short and long term


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503432  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 4533
Location: SE9

Bernard wrote:
Greeny wrote:
Goonermen, lend me your ears!

4th place is the target, top 3 has gone
Napoli and Sevilla would be favourites on form
Man U are favourites on short-term form, Chelsea are not
The most likely scenario is 5th behind Man U, and a lacklustre 2 legged defeat somewhere in Europe
Wenger could have achieved that

Our form is inconsistent, but at anything even approaching our best we can beat Napoli or Sevilla. I'd still just about make us favourites to beat them. And if Wenger was still here I'd have seen sixth as a lot more likely than fifth, and closer to the likes of Wolves and Watford than we are.

Why do you start posts with 'Goonermen, lend me your ears!' We read your posts, we don't listen to them.

Surely 'goonerpeople' would be more apt in these days of equal opportunities Bernard. And Greeny, if you're reading, no offence mate but no you can't borrow my ears - they're all I've got.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503433  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:52 pm
Posts: 959
Location: Salisbury

TOP GUN wrote:
If the Saudi royal family buy man united will any of it even matter anymore ? Would it even be worth debating.

I mean it’s literally over as a competitive sport at that point and it’s looking increasingly likely according to rumours


Yeah it basically means a City and United duopoly, Chelsea will probably be sold in the next few years so they may or may not drop out depending on who they get, Liverpool have done well this season but long term will struggle to compete with the wealth of the two Manchester clubs, no point even talking about Arsenal really, we don't even bother to try and compete, Spurs might attract the vultures once they pay off some of their stadium debt, hopefully they get their own Kroenke.

_________________
Wake me up when wiggy snuffs it


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503434  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15174

Chelsea’s biggest problem is similar to Arsenal’s. A real lack of attacking threat and creativity. Chelsea have full backs that don’t offer a huge amount going forward, 3 central mids who would barely get double figures for goals and assists a season....combined. Then it is one of Pedro/Willian who are very inconsistent which only leaves hazard and higuain as the only real goal and creative threat.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503435  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 18211

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
If the Saudi royal family buy man united will any of it even matter anymore ? Would it even be worth debating.

I mean it’s literally over as a competitive sport at that point and it’s looking increasingly likely according to rumours


Yeah it basically means a City and United duopoly, Chelsea will probably be sold in the next few years so they may or may not drop out depending on who they get, Liverpool have done well this season but long term will struggle to compete with the wealth of the two Manchester clubs, no point even talking about Arsenal really, we don't even bother to try and compete, Spurs might attract the vultures once they pay off some of their stadium debt, hopefully they get their own Kroenke.


It would be the final nail in the coffin for football but its always been on the cards. I mean what money-no-object potential buyer would not want to own United given the status and potential of the club.

They could dominate world football because lets face it they could afford to buy virtually any player at any price and few players would turn down a resurgent United even for Real or Barca. We've seen PSG outmuscle Barca so why couldn't United backed by the Saudi Royal Family.

The reality is that we are also-rans and have been for some time now. Our quickest way back to the top would realistically be a a new owner. Otherwise we could be on the outside looking in like Liverpool have been for the best part of 30 years.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503436  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15174

socrates wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:

Yeah it basically means a City and United duopoly, Chelsea will probably be sold in the next few years so they may or may not drop out depending on who they get, Liverpool have done well this season but long term will struggle to compete with the wealth of the two Manchester clubs, no point even talking about Arsenal really, we don't even bother to try and compete, Spurs might attract the vultures once they pay off some of their stadium debt, hopefully they get their own Kroenke.


It would be the final nail in the coffin for football but its always been on the cards. I mean what money-no-object potential buyer would not want to own United given the status and potential of the club.

They could dominate world football because lets face it they could afford to buy virtually any player at any price and few players would turn down a resurgent United even for Real or Barca. We've seen PSG outmuscle Barca so why couldn't United backed by the Saudi Royal Family.

The reality is that we are also-rans and have been for some time now. Our quickest way back to the top would realistically be a a new owner. Otherwise we could be on the outside looking in like Liverpool have been for the best part of 30 years.

It will get worse in the prem if the big teams negotiate their own tv deal. The big 6 are putting together the argument that people pay to watch them not the rest of the league so they should get a bigger piece of the pie. What that fails to realise is one of the reasons the premier league is the best tv export is the relative competitiveness in a one of game from any team in the league. The fast pace and bad defending help as well


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503437  Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15174

Solskjaer has done a great job at Man U but things are a lot easier for a manger in his position whereby he can choose to leave out a £75m striker because he has a £65m one who suits his tactics better. Or he can afford to have the new £50m holding mid not even make any squads because they have a £30m guy the last manager didn’t play. Same with leaving out a £30m centre back and a guy you pay £400k a week to with no loss of quality in the replacements. And the last manager didn’t play his £90m mid in his best position and eventually dropped him - new guy plays world class player in best position coming in off a notional left centre mid position with licence to join the attack.

What would have been more impressive is if Solskjaer had got Sanchez, Lukaku, fellaini, Fred, Valencia all firing when Jose couldn’t. Something a bit more like what Emery is trying to deal with - (Emery has made mistakes as well for sure)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503438  Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 28161

Sarri is on the chopping block at Chelsea and he is on the same points and goal differential as us. Interesting.

_________________
"Satire is meant to ridicule power. Ridiculing people arbitrarily isn't satire, its bullying" - Pratchett


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503439  Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:52 pm
Posts: 12998

I thought this was an interesting Twitter thread.

_________________
There's a man who's been out sailing in a decade full of dreams


 Profile  
 
 
Post #503440  Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11209

Darren wrote:
I thought this was an interesting Twitter thread.


I agree 200% with what he’s saying.

You have 2 good defenders in Sokratis and Bellerin and 1 decent prospect in Holding.

The other players are nowhere good enough to be playing this level anymore and screaming at Emery to organise them better is totally missing the point. You simply can’t do anything with our personnel in defence and the problem is Emery is desperately trying to shuffle his pack to find a miracle cure that simply doesn’t exist. He needs to abandon it revert to 4 at the back and simply try and outscore the other team. Mustafi is simply beyond coaching.

I don’t believe a previous arsenal team or many other sides would be giving lichsteiner, monreal or Kosielny anywhere near the amount of games they are getting. They are players in the twilight of their careers and should be getting no more than about 5-7 games a season. Personally I’d sell the 3 of them and try and blood youth if we can’t afford transfers.

Personally I think Emery is making mistakes but he’s barely got any options and I’d suggest selling players right now is even more important than buying as we need to shed some serious wood.


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 513566 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12583, 12584, 12585, 12586, 12587, 12588, 12589 ... 12840  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, mcquilkie, warrior and 8 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018