Fixtures Tuesday July 7th - Leicester - Emirates Stadium - 8:15 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:13 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gaz from Oz, Googlebot, warrior and 3 guests

 
Post #497761  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8674
Location: Singapore

Hope Lacazette gets his third in the second, for his hattrick. We need a two-goal cushion, at the least. Come on Gunners!

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497762  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8968

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
2-1. Are you sure TG?


I still don’t believe it. We need another 1 or 2

There’s no clean sheet in Valencia

A two-goal lead to take at Valencia would be most welcomed.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497763  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7371

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
2-1. Are you sure TG?


I still don’t believe it. We need another 1 or 2

There’s no clean sheet in Valencia

I'm just hoping for a clean sheet in the 2nd half for a start.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497764  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7371

The Mkhitaryan for Özil sub makes no sense. Kos is clearly struggling. He has to come off. Özil was quietly effective.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497765  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 am
Posts: 1676
Location: Liverpool/Caernarfon

No wonder these players are crap. Why did Emery clap Xhaka’s pitiful attempt then?

_________________
Gorau chwarae cyd chwarae


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497766  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 am
Posts: 1676
Location: Liverpool/Caernarfon

And I was just about to write that I think Kolasinac is completely useless

_________________
Gorau chwarae cyd chwarae


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497767  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8968

Aubameyang!!! 3-1.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497768  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 4909
Location: SE9

Massive goal. 3-1 Aubameyang :21encouragement: :21encouragement:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497769  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8968

john1 wrote:
And I was just about to write that I think Kolasinac is completely useless

He's been a useful attacking outlet down the left flank as usual.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497770  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 2021

Well how in the world did we do that?? Also footballers covering get their mouths when they talk makes them look like self important twats.

_________________
'At Arsenal it was always the same 8 or 9 who stayed behind after training. And I guarantee if you do that you'll become a better player'


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497771  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 18499

Kind of feels like we got out of jail a bit. I don't think 2-1 would have been enough but 3-1 is a reasonable advantage.

Terrific comeback but we also missed some sitters, as did Valencia.

Lacazette brilliant but missed two sitters, Aubameyang also excellent. Take those two out of our team and we are very, very average.

I thought the subs were odd, Torreira was the correct player to bring on but Guendouzi was enjoying his best spell in the game.

Mika for Özil another odd one, Özil was having one of his better games.

AMN was very good as well.

Why on earth at 2-1 up did we keep playing 2 v 2 at the back?. I sometimes think we have some of the thickest footballers on the planet.

I try hard to like Xhaka but I just can't.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497772  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13280

socrates wrote:
Kind of feels like we got out of jail a bit. I don't think 2-1 would have been enough but 3-1 is a reasonable advantage.

Terrific comeback but we also missed some sitters, as did Valancia.

Lacazette brilliant but missed two sitters, Aubameyang also excellent. Take those two out of our team and we are very, very average.

I wonder if we'll get to test that hypothesis this weekend ...

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497773  Posted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29216

Normally, I'd be confident 3-1 is a decent enough scoreline going into a 2nd leg, along with fairly decent away form in the competition winning at Sporting Lisbon and Napoli but due to our recent form, I can't be over-confident. Slightly confident is what I am. If they score first, I'll get nervous because I can see a 2-0 scoreline happening. Big question for me is can we get 1 goal? 2 will be better. But if we can score in the 1st half it should leave us space for the counter.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497774  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8674
Location: Singapore

I like it that Xhaka has been sending through balls for Aubameyang to run onto. We should be looking to do this more often.

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497775  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8674
Location: Singapore

john1 wrote:
And I was just about to write that I think Kolasinac is completely useless


Useless for 90 min, then that pass for Aubameyang. Still, not good enough for the day, 3/10.

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497776  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15926

That 3rd goal so vital. At 2-1 I’m not sure I fancied us. Of course we can score over there but Emery mustn’t over think it, we must go to score.
Last night we had
Decent gk
Shambles in defence
Slow, lack of mobility in midfield
Strikers who can bail us out

Seems like most of our season


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497777  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15926

I liked our second goal last night mainly because we don’t score those types of goals but we should be able to get more. Good quality early ball in to the box and a striker who has better movement than the defender. Height or strength doesn’t come in to it when you have an early ball and good movement.

The best exponents of this are Liverpool, full backs slinging in cross after cross and Mane mostly getting between defenders to finish. Would love to see us do more of this. Our play tends to cut back inside from wide positions or try to get to the byline for the cut back cross


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497778  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29216

I hope somehow Chelsea will lose the semi as unlikely as it seems right now. I don't think we can beat them in the final if we meet.
Mathematically we are out of the top 4. If we end up 5th, the Europa final will mean for us than it will for Chelsea will already have qualified. Its a European trophy so obviously they will be up for it as well as it being a rival. We will have more on the line though. I just don't trust ourselves to step up. Imagine the indignity of Chelsea denying us CL twice over? :1cry: Unless I misunderstand how it works. If Chelsea gets 4th and win the Europa, then who goes?

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497779  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7953

I realise they got an away goal but had I been offered a 3-1 win before the game I'd have taken it. We're more than capable of scoring out there. A two goal margin from the home leg; I'm happy enough with that. A dodgy start at the back with Valencia missing a really good chance then scoring. But after that I thought we did okay defensively.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497780  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11921

Bernard wrote:
I realise they got an away goal but had I been offered a 3-1 win before the game I'd have taken it. We're more than capable of scoring out there. A two goal margin from the home leg; I'm happy enough with that. A dodgy start at the back with Valencia missing a really good chance then scoring. But after that I thought we did okay defensively.

I think it’s on okay result but I just never trust the dynamic of European ties where you give away an away goal.

If we can lose 3 nil at Leicester we can lose 2 nil in Valencia


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497781  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6862

I was watching Koscielny quite carefully last night. He seemed really uncomfortable. He seemed OK for challenges, indeed I thought he played really well, but as soon as the ball was cleared, he was feeling his calf and ankle, limping, stretching and visibly wincing. I think he may indeed be *%^@**. That’s sad.

I was also watching Mesut Özil quite carefully. He strolled through the evening, making little or no effort to track back or get involved. Another phoned-in performance - the latest of many. No wonder he has no desire to leave next season. Split nail? Bad back? Runny poo? Not in the squad? Not picked? Who cares! He enjoys the easiest of lives. £50,000 per day for that? He is a bluffer. For £20m per season, I expect to see some semblance of an effort and some attempt to influence the game. When he joined us, he definitely had something about him - a bit of an aura backed up by skill, invention and silky movement. But that's all long gone. With no disrespect to those who still see something in him that I just don't, I wish he'd just *%^@ off. As soon as, please.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497782  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 am
Posts: 1676
Location: Liverpool/Caernarfon

DHD wrote:
I was watching Koscielny quite carefully last night. He seemed really uncomfortable. He seemed OK for challenges, indeed I thought he played really well, but as soon as the ball was cleared, he was feeling his calf and ankle, limping, stretching and visibly wincing. I think he may indeed be *%^@**. That’s sad.

I was also watching Mesut Özil quite carefully. He strolled through the evening, making little or no effort to track back or get involved. Another phoned-in performance - the latest of many. No wonder he has no desire to leave next season. Split nail? Bad back? Runny poo? Not in the squad? Not picked? Who cares! He enjoys the easiest of lives. £50,000 per day for that? He is a bluffer. For £20m per season, I expect to see some semblance of an effort and some attempt to influence the game. When he joined us, he definitely had something about him - a bit of an aura backed up by skill, invention and silky movement. But that's all long gone. With no disrespect to those who still see something in him that I just don't, I wish he'd just *%^@ off. As soon as, please.


Very sad to see another of our better players' careers coming to an apparent early end. Despite his not being as good as he was, we'll miss Kos nearly as much as we missed Santi imo.

The Özil thing. He is thoroughly selfish, vain and arrogant. I agree he should *%^@ right off.

Problem is, we have no-one else like him who can play a through ball.

_________________
Gorau chwarae cyd chwarae


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497783  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 am
Posts: 1676
Location: Liverpool/Caernarfon

I was trying to explain (for about the hundredth time) to my Dad about the away goals rule. He used to know it, but at the grand old age of 94, he struggles to remember things.

But we both agreed that whilst conceding an away goal wasn't good, we're more than capable of scoring one or more over there. So that 3rd goal was a vital one, obviously.

And, amidst all the doom and gloom, is it worth reminding ourselves that we are 3:1 up in a European semi final? Or have we become a little bit like Chelsea or Man Utd fans, who are arrogant enough expect to win all the time?

_________________
Gorau chwarae cyd chwarae


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497784  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8968

john1 wrote:
DHD wrote:
I was watching Koscielny quite carefully last night. He seemed really uncomfortable. He seemed OK for challenges, indeed I thought he played really well, but as soon as the ball was cleared, he was feeling his calf and ankle, limping, stretching and visibly wincing. I think he may indeed be *%^@**. That’s sad.

I was also watching Mesut Özil quite carefully. He strolled through the evening, making little or no effort to track back or get involved. Another phoned-in performance - the latest of many. No wonder he has no desire to leave next season. Split nail? Bad back? Runny poo? Not in the squad? Not picked? Who cares! He enjoys the easiest of lives. £50,000 per day for that? He is a bluffer. For £20m per season, I expect to see some semblance of an effort and some attempt to influence the game. When he joined us, he definitely had something about him - a bit of an aura backed up by skill, invention and silky movement. But that's all long gone. With no disrespect to those who still see something in him that I just don't, I wish he'd just *%^@ off. As soon as, please.


Very sad to see another of our better players' careers coming to an apparent early end. Despite his not being as good as he was, we'll miss Kos nearly as much as we missed Santi imo.

The Özil thing. He is thoroughly selfish, vain and arrogant. I agree he should *%^@ right off.

Problem is, we have no-one else like him who can play a through ball.


Özil is the kind of player/person that would respond better with Wenger-style management. I think we are stuck with him. Unless we can loan him out. Not sure how Emery can get the best out of him... perhaps play Özil in home games only against teams outside top 6? Plus cup games...


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497785  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 17965

john1 wrote:
I was trying to explain (for about the hundredth time) to my Dad about the away goals rule. He used to know it, but at the grand old age of 94, he struggles to remember things.

But we both agreed that whilst conceding an away goal wasn't good, we're more than capable of scoring one or more over there. So that 3rd goal was a vital one, obviously.

And, amidst all the doom and gloom, is it worth reminding ourselves that we are 3:1 up in a European semi final? Or have we become a little bit like Chelsea or Man Utd fans, who are arrogant enough expect to win all the time?
Yes, a 3-1 first-leg win shouldn't be sniffed at. Usually to win in Valencia is a very big ask of most teams, but to get a draw is not unrealistic - in La Liga this season I think Valencia have drawn many times at home. Fingers crossed.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497786  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:53 pm
Posts: 16966

old man of hoy wrote:
john1 wrote:
I was trying to explain (for about the hundredth time) to my Dad about the away goals rule. He used to know it, but at the grand old age of 94, he struggles to remember things.

But we both agreed that whilst conceding an away goal wasn't good, we're more than capable of scoring one or more over there. So that 3rd goal was a vital one, obviously.

And, amidst all the doom and gloom, is it worth reminding ourselves that we are 3:1 up in a European semi final? Or have we become a little bit like Chelsea or Man Utd fans, who are arrogant enough expect to win all the time?
Yes, a 3-1 first-leg win shouldn't be sniffed at. Usually to win in Valencia is a very big ask of most teams, but to get a draw is not unrealistic - in La Liga this season I think Valencia have drawn many times at home. Fingers crossed.

Agree, 3rd goal was massive, gives us a great chance to get to the final but still anticipate a few problems in Spain next week. At times Valencia looked very good on the ball.

_________________
It's a terrible love and I'm walking with spiders.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497787  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8968

I like the two upfront formation. Don't see any point not playing our best strikers together. If Welbeck's contract is renewed, he can be used to allow Aubameyang or Lacazette some rest. Or perhaps Nketiah can do that job.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497788  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6862

If we play two up front, they actually make goals for each other. If we only play one, we rely on our mf to create the chances and in terms of creativity, our mf is currently as poor as I've seen for many years.

Based on track record, I will be surprised if he plays two up front for the second leg. As such, I think we're vulnerable.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497789  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11921

Only problem with 2 up front is that because we have 3 centre backs it means the opposition will have most of the control of the midfield battle. Your sacrificing control of the game for greater threat


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497790  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11921

Yes Özil is such a lazy *%^@**

The other week at home he got the ball and charged forward driving in between 2 players which was good but it occurred to me how little he does that these days. Half his touches these days are simply recycling possession to other players, he doesn’t even want to run.

It’s like he’s got this huge contract now and is taunting the club by saying “pay me off” and his comments this week about honouring his contract could be interpreted that way. I genuinely think we could be stuck with him for some time.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497791  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11921

Did anyone notice Steve Bould when goal 3 went in. All the coaching staff jumped up celebrating but he just sat there ashen faced.
Wtf


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497792  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7953

Mmm, I actually thought Özil had a good game last night and worked pretty hard.

Had I been offered a 3-1 win before the game, I'd have taken it even though their away goal means the tie isn't over. After a dodgy start at the back, once they'd got their goal I felt we looked pretty secure for the big majority of the game.

I've said it before, but unfortunately because of a mix between age and injury Koscielny needs replacing. He's 34 next season and while various central defenders have gone on beyond that age, the likes of John Terry didn't have Koscielny's long-term injury record. Sadly I suspect he's f*cked.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497793  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:52 pm
Posts: 13103

Bernard wrote:
Mmm, I actually thought Özil had a good game last night and worked pretty hard.

Yeah, I didn't think he was particularly bad last night.

The third goal was clearly massive. 2-1 with this team is very iffy, so the third changed the whole complexion of the second game. It should have been more truth be told, we missed some decent chances. But 3-1 is very satisfying all things considered.

_________________
There's a man who's been out sailing in a decade full of dreams


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497794  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29216

Just read that there is an allegation some of the Valencia fans were making Nazi salutes. Disgusting if true. In this day and age are people still doing that BS at football matches (yet alone anywhere)?

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497795  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13280

AmericanGooner wrote:

Mathematically we are out of the top 4.

Not so.

They are two points ahead of us with two game to go, including Leicester away. Watford at home is hardly a banker either. And goal difference is close enough to turn over.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497796  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11921

AmericanGooner wrote:
Just read that there is an allegation some of the Valencia fans were making Nazi salutes. Disgusting if true. In this day and age are people still doing that BS at football matches (yet alone anywhere)?


They were and making monkey noises. There’s a video on the internet.

The statement from Valencia is incredible saying they will punish the culprits but see if they were provoked into it!


It’s incredible its 2019 and we’re still talking about utterly disgusting and abhorrent racism taking place.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497797  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6862

Özil - 2 assists all season.

Blinding.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497798  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7371

Sadly, I think Kos is finished even as a backup. I expect him to retire at the end of the season. He had a dreadful injury last year and he is quite obviously playing through the pain. Fine player but I don't think his body can cope with top level football anymore.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497799  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29216

Normally, I'd see Sunday as a home win banker but I really don't know ever since that Palace match. Mathematically its out of our hands. I don't expect Chelsea to falter. Fingers crossed. I'm not excited about the rest of the league matches and marginally interested in the title race. If circumstances force a title game, that would be interesting, save that. I'm hoping City wins. I won't be able to stand the probable over the top celebration if Liverpool wins. The one title that I completely appreciated the celebration was Leicester. Now we are back to the top 3 from the previous season winning the title which has happened every season except one since '92. An eerily consistent thing that seems to defy a certain amount of logic.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #497800  Posted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 12035
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

TOP GUN wrote:

Some of our fans are behaving like Chelsea supporters now moaning about all and sundry and it’s evident he won’t get the time.


You keep banging on about ungrateful bed wetting fans ........ It's a forum and when a team of Arsenal's stature has lost to Everton , Palace , Wolves , Brighton , Leicester in dismal fashion and struggled against a ten man Watford outfit what is everybody supposed to do ......?
All sing " tra la la diddle de dee dee everything is rosy in the garden " and give him another few years to sort out the post Wenger mess .

My biggest beef with Unai is he hasn't canned this goddamn worthless mind numbing tippy tappy and no matter which players inherited he should be able to accomplish that .


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 513457 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12442, 12443, 12444, 12445, 12446, 12447, 12448 ... 12837  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gaz from Oz, Googlebot, warrior and 3 guests


Search for:

cron

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018