Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 61 guests

Post #524241  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:30 pm 

Rich wrote:
Lee Mason once again showing his utter incompetence as a referee. Watch the West Brom v Brighton game later if you haven’t seen what happened.
He disallows a goal, then gives it, then disallows it again.....and no one is still any the wiser why

Never thought I'd see a ref use several minutes of VAR checks to determine whether a free kick was taken before or after he blew the whistle. If that's what he was checking - it certainly wasn't clear what the reason was, and didn't seem clear to Mason either.

Post #524242  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:52 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Lee Mason once again showing his utter incompetence as a referee. Watch the West Brom v Brighton game later if you haven’t seen what happened.
He disallows a goal, then gives it, then disallows it again.....and no one is still any the wiser why

Never thought I'd see a ref use several minutes of VAR checks to determine whether a free kick was taken before or after he blew the whistle. If that's what he was checking - it certainly wasn't clear what the reason was, and didn't seem clear to Mason either.

A farce made in heaven, by Mason. How he didn't see or aware that the WBA GK was still lining up his defense prior to the free kick is anyone's guess. The GK was reclining against the post, cool as you like, as though casually smoking a cig outside a bar. Whistle blown, kick taken, GK suddenly wakes up, leaps across goal, too late to stop ball. Mason decides to blow whistle a second time as ball crosses to the net. Absolute confusion follows.
Goal stands, doesn't stand. Obviously Mason wasn't aware that the GK wasn't ready before blowing whistle for the free kick. Realised it too late after the kick taken, blew whistle second time. Ball already was over the line before second whistle blown it looked like. Needed VAR to sort it. So no goal.

Post #524243  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:11 am 

Zed wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

A farce made in heaven, by Mason. How he didn't see or aware that the WBA GK was still lining up his defense prior to the free kick is anyone's guess. The GK was reclining against the post, cool as you like, as though casually smoking a cig outside a bar. Whistle blown, kick taken, GK suddenly wakes up, leaps across goal, too late to stop ball. Mason decides to blow whistle a second time as ball crosses to the net. Absolute confusion follows.
Goal stands, doesn't stand. Obviously Mason wasn't aware that the GK wasn't ready before blowing whistle for the free kick. Realised it too late after the kick taken, blew whistle second time. Ball already was over the line before second whistle blown it looked like. Needed VAR to sort it. So no goal.

All Mason had to do is get both captains together and say ‘I thought everyone was set up so a blew to restart the game, then I realised the gk wasn’t set, that’s my mistake, I’m sorry lads but we’re going to have to take the free kick again’
I don’t know if there is anything actually in the rules saying the ref must allow the defence to set themselves up but surely once he’s said to both teams that no quick free kick will happen and they must play to his whistle he is obligated to make sure both teams are ready when he restarts the game

Post #524244  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:16 am 

DHD wrote:
Rich wrote:

If you want to see refereeing incompetence re-defined, watch a re-run of Wales v England this afternoon.

Watched it live and was utterly baffled by the arrogance and incompetence of the French ref.
We often look at rugby refs and players as exemplar ways to show respect and communication, but I thought the French ref took this too far with his ‘I speak first’ and utter arrogance to not engage in the discussion with Farrell (and I realise Farrell isn’t that popular with the way he speak to refs at times).
Once the ref gives his instruction to Farrell to speak to his team and gather them together he must give them time to re-set their defensive positions. He also totally missed or dismissed that 4 water carriers were on the field and you can’t play when they are.
The second try wasn’t just his fault, but how any of those officials think that was t a knock on is just farcical.

Post #524245  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:20 am 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:

All Mason had to do is get both captains together and say ‘I thought everyone was set up so a blew to restart the game, then I realised the gk wasn’t set, that’s my mistake, I’m sorry lads but we’re going to have to take the free kick again’
I don’t know if there is anything actually in the rules saying the ref must allow the defence to set themselves up but surely once he’s said to both teams that no quick free kick will happen and they must play to his whistle he is obligated to make sure both teams are ready when he restarts the game

In order to speed up the game I would be more than happy for a time limit of say 30 secs be the minimum time a defence be allowed to set up and after that time a kick can be taken at any time. Players who do not retreat get booked. If there is one rule I like from AFL (Aussie Rules) it is a 50 yard penalty if players do not retreat or do not immediately return the ball to the player who won the free kick. I get sick of players in effect blocking a free kick and nothing happening to them.

Post #524246  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:09 am 

Zed wrote:
This for AG's benefit, as apparently he doesn't seem to research info entirely.

Arsenal was the first club from the South of England to join The Football League, in 1893, and they reached the First Division in 1904. Relegated only once, in 1913, they continue the longest streak in the top division, and have won the second-most top-flight matches in English football history.

Hello Zed,

Thanks for your post. I'm actually well aware of our history and of us being relegated. It's one of the first things any Gooner reads about when they look at our history and sperz fans will remind us at ever turn. Perhaps my answer to Long Time Gooner ("I choose to ignore that. We have never been relegated. That's the story I'm sticking with.")
prompted your post.

The 'that' I am referring to is our being relegated. In jest I said I chose to ignore that. Weak attempt at humour perhaps. I just choose to ignore us being relegated, just like a lot of revisionist history such as America choosing to ignore we lost to you lot in what we call the 'War of 1812' :icon_mrgreen:

Anyway, good luck to he boys today.

Cheers

Post #524247  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:55 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Zed wrote:
This for AG's benefit, as apparently he doesn't seem to research info entirely.

Arsenal was the first club from the South of England to join The Football League, in 1893, and they reached the First Division in 1904. Relegated only once, in 1913, they continue the longest streak in the top division, and have won the second-most top-flight matches in English football history.

Hello Zed,

Thanks for your post. I'm actually well aware of our history and of us being relegated. It's one of the first things any Gooner reads about when they look at our history and sperz fans will remind us at ever turn. Perhaps my answer to Long Time Gooner ("I choose to ignore that. We have never been relegated. That's the story I'm sticking with.")
prompted your post.

The 'that' I am referring to is our being relegated. In jest I said I chose to ignore that. Weak attempt at humour perhaps. I just choose to ignore us being relegated, just like a lot of revisionist history such as America choosing to ignore we lost to you lot in what we call the 'War of 1812' :icon_mrgreen:

Cheers

*%^@

Post #524248  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:38 am 

Abu wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Hello Zed,

prompted your post.

Cheers

*%^@

"Choosing to ignore things" is a policy that should be used judiciously at best. It's healthy to chose to ignore some unpleasant things: for example, neighbour's barking dog, a snoring spouse, that someone has broken wind at a funeral, Donald Trump Jr, Jose Mourinho.

Ignoring all aspects of reality that causes the least cognitive dissonance, is another matter entirely.

Post #524249  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:22 am 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:

Surely the ref's job is to ensure that the ball is taken on the right spot and defending team has retreated 10 yards. He should only prevent a quick free-kick if either side raises one of these issues. Then the attacking side must wait for the whistle. The ref can blow as soon as he is happy the ball is on the right spot a the wall is properly back. The ref surely does not have to check if the defending team is ready and awake. It's their problem if they are farting around or day-dreaming, surely?

Provided it is kicked after the whistle, the goal should stand.

Post #524250  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:28 am 

Happy to see that front four and Cédric. Not sure about Elneny?

Post #524251  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:32 am 

What does Martinelli need to do to get a game????

Post #524252  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:34 am 

No Martinelli again despite 6 changes and his favorite son Willian gets to start.

Arteta has done his best to *%^@ up Saliba and now appears to be doing the same thing with Martinelli. He wasn't even picking Martinelli before his injury so clearly he does not rate him. He is hardly nurturing his or Saliba's talents.

I've had it with Arteta, he talks the talk but all I see from him is poor man management, questionable team selections, poor substitutions and favoritism.

I want Arteta gone........the sooner the better. There, I've said it.

Post #524253  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:41 am 

socrates wrote:
No Martinelli again despite 6 changes and his favorite son Willian gets to start.

Arteta has done his best to *%^@ up Saliba and now appears to be doing the same thing with Martinelli. He wasn't even picking Martinelli before his injury so clearly he does not rate him. He is hardly nurturing his or Saliba's talents.

I've had it with Arteta, he talks the talk but all I see from him is poor man management, questionable team selections, poor substitutions and favoritism.

Wait until after the game. If Willian is poor and is kept on until the 70th minute you have a point.

Post #524254  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:52 am 

socrates wrote:

Surely the most pathetic thing I’ve read here ever. We’re mid table anyway

He can’t even rest a few players here and there now.

An absolute joke. Sort yourself out.

Post #524255  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:54 am 

1 Leno
17 Cédric Soares
23 David Luiz
22 Marí
3 Tierney
25 Elneny
34 Xhaka
19 Pépé
32 Smith Rowe
12 Willian
9 Lacazette

Substitutes
2 Bellerín
7 Saka
8 Ceballos
11 Ødegaard
14 Aubameyang
16 Holding
18 Partey
33 Ryan
35 Martinelli

For the life of me I do not understand what Arteta is doing..............

Last edited by warrior on Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edited to make it more readable ;-)

Post #524256  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:57 am 

The Martinelli thing is just weird. He’s had plenty of minutes this season and done nothing. He’s a promising lad but it’s not like we are ignoring Messi also clearly he’s struggling since he came back from injury.

A self created stick to beat the manager with. Utter nonsense

Post #524257  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:01 pm 

Arteta prioritising Europa League

Post #524258  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:01 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
1 Leno
17 Cédric Soares
23 David Luiz
22 Marí
3 Tierney
25 Elneny
34 Xhaka
19 Pépé
32 Smith Rowe
12 Willian
9 Lacazette

Substitutes
2 Bellerín
7 Saka
8 Ceballos
11 Ødegaard
14 Aubameyang
16 Holding
18 Partey
33 Ryan
35 Martinelli

For the life of me I do not understand what Arteta is doing..............

Some necessary rotation, surely? Is this rocket science?

Post #524259  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The Martinelli thing is just weird. He’s had plenty of minutes this season and done nothing. He’s a promising lad but it’s not like we are ignoring Messi also clearly he’s struggling since he came back from injury.

A self created stick to beat the manager with. Utter nonsense

It's hardly a capital offence for Arteta to prefer Willian. And I'm sure Martinelli will get his chance. 6 games between now and 21 March.

Post #524260  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:06 pm 

6 changes is not rocket science. It does show that he doesn't know who his best team are and that is worrying.

Post #524261  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:07 pm 

socrates wrote:

Hi Soc
I was full on Arteta when he became manager.
Now more like half pelt.
His treatment of Martinelli and love in with Willian pisses me off.
His management of some of our young talents leaves a lot to be desired.
More treatment like this and Martinelli will be wondering if his talents are best served elsewhere.

Post #524262  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:07 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Arteta prioritising Europa League

Clearly and justifiably. We've got very little chance of getting back into Europe via the league.

Post #524263  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:07 pm 

Close him down!!,

Post #524264  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:07 pm 

Oh dear - 1 down 6 minutes in. :20hospitals:

Post #524265  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:07 pm 

Way too easy.

Post #524266  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:07 pm 

ffs

Post #524267  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:08 pm 

I thought the problem was the attack? :8angers:

Post #524268  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:08 pm 

Another *%^@*** early goal conceded
*%^@*** joke

Post #524269  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:09 pm 

What in the world was Elneny doing? Close the player down!

Post #524270  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:11 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
What in the world was Elneny doing? Close the player down!

Not just him though was it? All the players ran away from the ball.

Post #524271  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:13 pm 

Ho hum. Another VAR wait.

Post #524272  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:15 pm 

Penalty is clear

Post #524273  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:15 pm 

Even with VAR things are still questionable...lol. I know this from American sports who have had it a while. The longer the referee takes the less likely it is.

Post #524274  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:16 pm 

Not sure there was much contact, but if it was a foul surely it was inside the box?

Post #524275  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:16 pm 

:36angers:

Post #524276  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:16 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
6 changes is not rocket science. It does show that he doesn't know who his best team are and that is worrying.

I don't think Arteta not knowing what his best team is is the issue in this game. Shifting Emile Smith Rowe wide in the last game was a strange one. But having two promising candidates for no 10 is not a bad problem to have.

We had a tough game, in Greece, just 3 days ago, so it is an ideal time to rotate.

Putting Emile Smith Rowe back at no. 10 is a no-brainer. Cédric definitely deserves a start at right back, and Pépé and Lacazette deserve starts. We've been rotating the centre-back seemlessly and with disruptions for a while so no worries there. The only questionable ones are Willian and Elneny. Willian did enough in Greece to keep his place --Partey not quite fit?

Post #524277  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:25 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

No

That team selection shows Arteta knows exactly who his best 11 is

Post #524278  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:26 pm 

socrates wrote:

Got a lot of sympathy with your view Soc. I can’t really work it out. Ultimately young managers unless they are humble enough to have someone very experienced alongside them tend to make all these sorts of mistakes. Arteta for all his likability, communication and Arsenal credentials comes across as very intense, stubborn, a little arrogant and obviously inexperienced. I’ll say what I’ve said all along, next season is what I’ll judge him on. Success would be top four or very near there. Two and a half seasons feels enough to at least steady the ship. And for an inexperienced manager in your first job you surely have to give them longer than you would normally.

Contrary to TGs nonsense about Martinelli he’s had far far fewer chances than Willian, has admittedly looked a bit up and down, but his ups eclipse anything Willian has done. Simple pass to Tierney on the edge of the box for him to do all the work and score included.

Post #524279  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:26 pm 

Nearly every club in the league prefers to counter than dictate play now, makes our constant concession of goals in the first 10 minutes even more infuriating.
The penalty was always going to get over turned. The commentator I was listening to was desperate for it to be over turned, he watched the replays and called it a ‘shocking dive’.

Post #524280  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:28 pm 

I mean, we're playing reasonably well. Just such an unnecessary goal to concede, makes things so much easier for Leicester.

[ 571671 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13104, 13105, 13106, 13107, 13108, 13109, 13110 ... 14292  Next