Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 108 guests

Post #503241  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:55 am 

socrates wrote:
Willock should be starting. His energy and box to box abilities are desperately needed.

No he shouldn't. Doesn't look strong enough. Xhaka is here to stay in the midfield.

Post #503242  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:57 am 

bromley gooner wrote:

I'd say we have very good chance of top 4, and we'll contend in the Europa again. It's still only September.

I think we will on what I have seen.

Post #503243  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:10 am 

Gunfire wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I'd say we have very good chance of top 4, and we'll contend in the Europa again. It's still only September.

I think we will on what I have seen.

A big difference between us and at least United and Chelsea is that we have a lot more untapped potential, even if we haven’t looked impressive so far. Pépé and Ceballos have a lot more in their locker than they’ve shown so far, and players like Saka, Willock and possibly Nelson are just scratching the surface of their potential. I don’t see the same situation at all at United, and while Chelsea are expecting their young players to lead them we can integrate ours in a more natural way where they don’t have to be the difference makers every week.

Post #503244  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:11 am 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:
Willock should be starting. His energy and box to box abilities are desperately needed.

No he shouldn't. Doesn't look strong enough. Xhaka is here to stay in the midfield.

You seriously want Xhaka to stay in the team?

I think Willock is stronger than he looks, based on the tackles he seems to win. He adds box to box capabilities and a goal threat that none of our other midfielders do.

Post #503245  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:35 am 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

Any midfield that doesnt contain at least 1 of Özil, ceballos or Willock is a midfield that simply won’t work. I’d possibly play even 2 of them.

Post #503246  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:37 am 

One thing that irked me last night, was that Rashford only got a yellow for that challenge against Sokratis. It had all the markers of a sending off; he came in late, with speed, got none of the ball and had his studs up. Very bad challenge.

Post #503247  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:48 am 

Imagine if Aubameyang got a long term injury. We would be so screwed

Post #503248  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:51 am 

Hazuki wrote:
One thing that irked me last night, was that Rashford only got a yellow for that challenge against Sokratis. It had all the markers of a sending off; he came in late, with speed, got none of the ball and had his studs up. Very bad challenge.

Also lindegard should have been booked in the first half and he would have got a second yellow.

Post #503249  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:14 am 

First letter is pretty hard to argue with and as mad as it seems I wouldn’t turn down Rogers right now

https://www.football365.com/news/fourth ... -emery-out

Post #503250  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:04 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
First letter is pretty hard to argue with and as mad as it seems I wouldn’t turn down Rogers right now

https://www.football365.com/news/fourth ... -emery-out

I actually quite fancied Rogers before we got Emery. I know he's not the big name foreigner that fans seem to crave and so most dismissed him as a viable candidate. He's not especially charismatic, but he has experience of the PL and his teams play expansive high tempo football. He also seems a non-nonsense type.
My only reservation would be whether he could attract the players but then again Raul and Edu & co seem to deal with transfers anway.

It is really academic though, as that ship has sailed.

Post #503251  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Indeed.

If I was Aubameyang I'd be looking to move somewhere that deserves his talents for the last few years of his career.

Am I right in saying he is yet to extend his contract?

Post #503252  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:12 am 

Hodd,

I notice you are on-line.

I am wondering why Martinelli does not feature in the U23 games. If he isn't getting regular game time in the PL wouldn't it seem sensible to help him continue to acclimatise to english football and maintain his match sharpness in the the u23s?

Post #503253  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Indeed.

If I was Aubameyang I'd be looking to move somewhere that deserves his talents for the last few years of his career.

Rumour was they agreed the contracts with Aubameyang and Lacazette but they are unsigned

Lacazette was rumoured to be insisting on an exit clause if a champions league club comes in for him.

Post #503254  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:05 am 

Rich wrote:
Let’s see what Pépé is like when he has Bellerin behind him

:laughing7: Now I don't want to be accused of being ultra negative like my offspring Granty Boy ..... but this is what sh**&^ts me about modern football

Pépé our new 70 million pound signing , who has to get his wages loaded on a small truck with a forklift and he puts a goal attempt into Row W .... thirty feet and climbing ...... above the goal

I thought FFS ***%%%% where did you learn to play the game ?

A leaning back Hail Mary .....f***&^ awful technique

I know all the modern young spunk bubbles will say " Give him time he's just bedding in blah blah blah " but on that showing I'd say he got less technique than Eddie Kelly .... Alan Sunderland and Charlie George would run rings around the useless Plank .

I stood on the North Bank for many a year and I don't remember anyone outside the ground getting hammered by a wayward football .

Pépé would take out the hamburger franchise at the entrance of Arsenal underground .

Post #503255  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:09 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Indeed.

Rumour was they agreed the contracts with Aubameyang and Lacazette but they are unsigned

Lacazette was rumoured to be insisting on an exit clause if a champions league club comes in for him.

I wouldn’t blame him for that.

Post #503256  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:29 am 

socrates wrote:
Hodd,

I notice you are on-line.

I am wondering why Martinelli does not feature in the U23 games. If he isn't getting regular game time in the PL wouldn't it seem sensible to help him continue to acclimatise to english football and maintain his match sharpness in the the u23s?

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that - will speak to someone I know tomorrow and get back to you

Post #503257  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:58 am 

Call me ungrateful but a draw at OT was not enough to get me excited about this team. Guendouzi and Saka were pretty good. But this Utd team were here for the taking and we looked scared. Again no real domination and we didn't create much at all. Even if Willock came on in the 2nd half for Cellebos who I would have started. Our captain really annoys me and the slow box to box from most of our squad is terrible. I applaud Emery for giving youth a chance in this squad. But he is scared. In effect we have won 1 away game this season and continue to think a draw is our aim.

Maybe when we get a chance to see how good Tierney and Holding are in the team we will see some improvement. Personally i would be starting to talk to other managers just in case.

Post #503258  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:59 am 

kiwipete wrote:
I stood on the North Bank for many a year and I don't remember anyone outside the ground getting hammered by a wayward football . Pépé would take out the hamburger franchise at the entrance of Arsenal underground .
Love that! Good afternoon Kiwi - from one old guy to another old guy, I offer an old guy in an unusual setting. https://youtu.be/7pTFykWIUnM

Post #503259  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:05 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Rich wrote:

:laughing7: Now I don't want to be accused of being ultra negative like my offspring Granty Boy ..... but this is what sh**&^ts me about modern football

Pépé our new 70 million pound signing , who has to get his wages loaded on a small truck with a forklift and he puts a goal attempt into Row W .... thirty feet and climbing ...... above the goal

I know all the modern young spunk bubbles will say " Give him time he's just bedding in blah blah blah " but on that showing I'd say he got less technique than Eddie Kelly .... Alan Sunderland and Charlie George would run rings around the useless Plank .

I stood on the North Bank for many a year and I don't remember anyone outside the ground getting hammered by a wayward football .

Pépé would take out the hamburger franchise at the entrance of Arsenal underground .

:laughing7:

Apparently when Pépé is playing those sitting in Row Z are advised that they do so at their own risk and are issued with crash helmets and other protective gear.

Although it would seem even those in Row Z were pretty safe last night.

Post #503260  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:13 pm 

Customs clearance zones eh

Kin hell. No negatives

Post #503261  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:18 pm 

On Pépé I think he’s not performing to the standard we want but he seems to need more direct coaching. He seems isolated and needs to do more running off the ball.

I also don’t think we help him by passing the ball straight at his chest rather than ahead of him.

I’d consider playing him Thursday. He needs to build confidence and dropping him won’t help him even if he is wiping out burgers stands

Post #503262  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Kin hell. No negatives

I'm disgusted mate, but I can't see the EU buying it. Hopefully the opposition get their act together and vote him out. Put Jeremy in and extend again. Then hopefully Labour's offer to the people will come through at a general election but I'm giving up hope in the English populace throwing that lot out.

Post #503263  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:28 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Kin hell. No negatives

I'm disgusted mate, but I can't see the EU buying it. Hopefully the opposition get their act together and vote him out. Put Jeremy in and extend again. Then hopefully Labour's offer to the people will come through at a general election but I'm giving up hope in the English populace throwing that lot out.

It’s appalling

What I don’t get is why they dont discuss the issue with the Irish PM Leo, brainstorm possible solutions then present a jointly agreed plan to the EU to comply with.

It’s just throwing crap at a wall hoping something would stick.

No chance of voting him out he’d win any election right now and many voters in England still believe he’s acting in their interests despite giving that American bint 100k for a shag basically. I’m not saying that girl was a pig but I was speaking to her brother Perky once and he told me that she’s had more balls bounced on her head than Kenny Dalglish.

Whole things a mess

Post #503264  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:29 pm 

Arsenal have committed 68 fouls this season and have 21 yellows. Liverpool have committed 61 and have 6.

Now I realise a lot of ours are the stupid Xhaka style pull back once the man is beaten but a yellow card every 3 fouls in nonsense. Too often we seem to get a yellow for the first foul while the opponents need 3-4 for a player before a yellow. Last night was a prime example. We don't even get the benefit at home

Post #503265  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:46 pm 

We may not have reached the 'Emery Out!' stage but we are now definitely in the 'we are increasingly losing confidence in him' stage.
I completely acknowledge the club had a huge job to restructure itself after Wenger left. However football wise I always thought (perhaps naively) that adding some defensive structure to the team and being a little more pragmatic would result in a significant improvement.
Unfortunately, our defending is no better and the introduction of flexible tactics isn't working as well as we hoped. Of course there is still time for the team to gel and improve but I am increasingly aware that the reservoir of patience for Emery is starting to leak away.

Post #503266  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:01 pm 

Looking forward to another spirited display from the younger players on Thursday.

Post #503267  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:

What I don’t get is why they dont discuss the issue with the Irish PM Leo, brainstorm possible solutions then present a jointly agreed plan to the EU to comply with.

Johnson is reneging on the commitments the UK already made with Europe (and therefore with ROI) under Theresa May and actively pursuing objectives that seem on the outside to be designed to bring about a "no deal" scenario. Either that, or they are still hoping the other countries in the EU will throw Ireland under the bus in order to avoid no deal - something which currently seems very unlikely to happen.

Post #503268  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:13 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Rich wrote:

Another eloquently classic contribution from the modern NZ iteration of Shakespeare.

I agree with you Pete, for what it’s worth. At the very least he should be busting a gut to get more involved, and I don’t even see that happening at the moment. He was an absolute passenger last night; drop him and start Saka and Willock and let’s see how that goes.

Post #503269  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:

It’s appalling

It’s just throwing crap at a wall hoping something would stick.

No chance of voting him out he’d win any election right now and many voters in England still believe he’s acting in their interests despite giving that American bint 100k for a shag basically. I’m not saying that girl was a pig but I was speaking to her brother Perky once and he told me that she’s had more balls bounced on her head than Kenny Dalglish.

Whole things a mess

It’s a total and utter mess; but an absolutely deliberate one. The money men are creaming their pants and making millions out of everyone else’s misery.

And I still haven’t heard one practical benefit for leaving; not one practical thing that will change on Nov 1st to my and society’s betterment. It’s history’s biggest con, and the UK population, whether leave or remain, are the unwitting victims.

Btw the Arcuri comments? :53big-emoticons:

Post #503270  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:25 pm 

kiwipete wrote:

I know all the modern young spunk bubbles will say " Give him time he's just bedding in blah blah blah ".

Cheers Kiwi, I don’t get called a modern young spunk bubble very often these days :58big-emoticons:

Post #503271  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:32 pm 

socrates wrote:
I think it is now clear that Emery is not the manager we hoped he would be. If we were proactive we'd be lining up his successor with a view to replacing him asap, even if that is mid-season.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did just that. It wouldn't cost us much in compensation. Its clearly not working. I think he he is a very conservative manager who doesn't trust creative midfielders. He dropped both Özil and Ramsey last season when we were crying out for some guile. This season Özil is still out in the cold and Ceballos is becoming more peripheral already. The last 15 minutes of last night's game were depressing. We basically played for the draw against the weakest Man Utd team we have faced in decades.

Post #503272  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
On Pépé I think he’s not performing to the standard we want but he seems to need more direct coaching. He seems isolated and needs to do more running off the ball.

I also don’t think we help him by passing the ball straight at his chest rather than ahead of him.

I’d consider playing him Thursday. He needs to build confidence and dropping him won’t help him even if he is wiping out burgers stands

He is isolated. Emery's favourite attacking tactic is to get the ball to the overlapping fullback. Get Özil or Ceballos on the ball in midfield to play through balls for Pépé not bloody kolasinac galloping to the end line.

Post #503273  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:46 pm 

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:
I think it is now clear that Emery is not the manager we hoped he would be. If we were proactive we'd be lining up his successor with a view to replacing him asap, even if that is mid-season.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did just that. It wouldn't cost us much in compensation. Its clearly not working. I think he he is a very conservative manager who doesn't trust creative midfielders. He dropped both Özil and Ramsey last season when we were crying out for some guile. This season Özil is still out in the cold and Ceballos is becoming more peripheral already. The last 15 minutes of last night's game were depressing. We basically played for the draw against the weakest Man Utd team we have faced in decades.

Who would you replace him with, Dec. That's my only issue.

Post #503274  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:57 pm 

Allegri would be the obvious candidate

Mourinho would be suggested but he would be a disaster

Rodgers maybe

Pochettino :laughing7:

Post #503275  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:57 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He is isolated. Emery's favourite attacking tactic is to get the ball to the overlapping fullback. Get Özil or Ceballos on the ball in midfield to play through balls for Pépé not bloody kolasinac galloping to the end line.

Hi dec.

Isolation doesn’t account for that shot that cleared the stand, or that underhit pass when Saka could have been away on goal though.

I agree he needs more through balls; that appeared to be his strength in France.

The tactics are puzzling, and makes you wonder why he was bought unless Emery is indeed a caretaker. (Vieira situation?) But surely if you’re a big player, you get yourself involved and start doing things that may, or may not, fit the strategy. If it works, who’d have a go?

As it is, he’s allowing people like me (who know very little about the tictacs of the modern game; I’m just one level up from AG, that’s how bad I am) to add ??????s after his name.

Post #503276  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:22 pm 

If we have Lacazette and the attackers are healthy, I think we can make due without Aubameyang if we are playing clubs below the top 6. I even think its possibly to decently against any club outside City or Liverpool with Aubameyang out if we have Lacazette and the other attackers. Just like how Tottenham were able to compete when Kane was injured. Although admittedly, they have some decent other attackers. We do as well.

Post #503277  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:25 pm 

Giggs with some interesting views
https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/01/ryan-gig ... -10840733/

Post #503278  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:29 pm 

Interesting, Kevin Campbell, reminisces about the players being drunk beating Man Utd 3-1 in 1991 when Forest had beaten Liverpool earlier to win us the title.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... t-20381987

Post #503279  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:21 pm 

socrates wrote:
dec wrote:

Who would you replace him with, Dec. That's my only issue.

As TG says, Allegri is the obvious one. I wouldn't mind someone like Eddie Howe. He has a definite style of play and knows the league inside out.

Rogers could fit too. He's a very good coach but is dodgy in the transfer market, a weakness that would be well covered by Arsenal's set-up.

I hate to say it, but I'd say there are loads of coaches who would do a better job than Emery.

Post #503280  Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:27 pm 

john1 wrote:
dec wrote:

Hi dec.

Isolation doesn’t account for that shot that cleared the stand, or that underhit pass when Saka could have been away on goal though.

I agree he needs more through balls; that appeared to be his strength in France.

The tactics are puzzling, and makes you wonder why he was bought unless Emery is indeed a caretaker. (Vieira situation?) But surely if you’re a big player, you get yourself involved and start doing things that may, or may not, fit the strategy. If it works, who’d have a go?

As it is, he’s allowing people like me (who know very little about the tictacs of the modern game; I’m just one level up from AG, that’s how bad I am) to add ??????s after his name.

Hi John

He scored a load of goals last season so I reckon the finishing is down to confidence and needing to find his form in the PL. He could definitely work harder. There have been glimpses though. He had Liverpool worried.

As for our tactics I haven't a clue what Emery is trying to do. Constantly chopping and changing and no recognisable style of play.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12579, 12580, 12581, 12582, 12583, 12584, 12585 ... 14269  Next