Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 105 guests

Post #524801  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:33 pm 

A little local Philly punk from a ways back.

Post #524802  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
Rangers have wrapped up the Scottish Title. Huge credit to Steven Gerrard for what he's done there. I think there will be more than a few people working out his next managerial move.....

I’m delighted for them. What a job Gerrard has done, considering how far they were behind Celtic when he went there. If Klopp goes anytime soon he’ll walk into the Liverpool job. Of course, Rangers are still in the Europa League too.

Post #524803  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:16 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
Considering Arsenal finances, this is where it is for now.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... 0-19976877

Hi Zed. We must also remember that in early January Arsenal took a £120m short-term loan that I’ve read has to be paid back in May. With the club’s losses and having to pay back the loan, I’ve seen an interesting hypothesis elsewhere. Namely that rather than Arsenal’s transfer budget being a ‘net zero’ this summer where the transfer fees received for players sold can be spent on new signings, it’ll actually be zero full stop.

If so, any transfer fees received for whatever selection of players are actually sold will be put towards loan signings instead of permanent incoming transfers. I obviously have no idea who will or won’t be sold. But I’ve seen the likes of Lacazette, Bellerin, Guendouzi, Nketiah, Nelson, Maitland-Niles, Elneny all mentioned as possible candidates for the conveyor belt out.

But the idea is the transfer fees received for whoever goes won’t be spent on new permanent signings but on players taken on loan. The left over total from the players sold will be used to cover losses and pay off debts. Let me clarify that I don’t know how valid this hypothesis is or isn’t. But I have heard it. If it is true, the turnover in players that many want to see will focus heavily on outs rather than ins, which probably isn’t the sort of turnover people are hoping for.

Afternoon Bernard,
I was well aware of that £120M loan the club took out recently. I associated it with Özil's leaving the club as a payout to him, if it was partially. The loan does have to be paid back end of May.
I don't expect much on big signings incoming in the summer with 3-4 year permanent contracts. As you stated, mainly loans, to cover debt payments coming from players being sold. I also read somewhere that Willian really wasn't in on a 'free', as a bonus was added on to the signing.

Post #524804  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Cheering for Liverpool and Man Utd today. Grudgingly of course. :20hospitals:

I can't see the logic in either decision. I'll be cheering for Fulham and City without hesitation.
City will run away with the title and that's what we need them to do, beat everyone else and embarrass a few teams on the way, especially Man U! The further Liverpool fall the longer it takes them to get back, another home loss vs Fulham of all teams would be funny.

And they are a goal down right now. All the Pool fans are suffering right now.

Post #524805  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:18 pm 

Looking to Palace to get something from their game.

Post #524806  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:57 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Is there anything more boring, pathetic yet depressingly British about this Megan markle, Harry, royal family nonsense. Makes the whole country look ridiculous. Just leave them be otherwise the world will think we are complete twats (if they still don’t!)

Quite!

Post #524807  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:00 pm 

Liverpool has to be the worst title defence for a long time. This goes beyond injuries now. 6 defeats at home in a row. Considering that this season was going to hugely favour teams with settled squads because there would be little need for transfers in a market that is stagnant and also there would be little time on the training pitch this year to learn for new managers and players and patterns of play. Liverpool were so well established in both of these aspects and as much as they’ve had injuries to their CB it’s still worth remembering that both full backs and the front 3 have all been fit all season. They’ve had a worse season than us.
Annoyingly we play them just after the international break giving them 2 weeks to regroup, also having had to play them when they probably played their best all season only 3 games in.

Post #524808  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Cheering for Liverpool and Man Utd today. Grudgingly of course. :20hospitals:

I can't see the logic in either decision. I'll be cheering for Fulham and City without hesitation.
City will run away with the title and that's what we need them to do, beat everyone else and embarrass a few teams on the way, especially Man U! The further Liverpool fall the longer it takes them to get back, another home loss vs Fulham of all teams would be funny.

We have a fair chance of catching Liverpool, the way they are going. Their form is unbelievably bad! Inexplicable.

And I do hope that City tear United a new one. That would be immensely satisfying.

Post #524809  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:13 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

We have a fair chance of catching Liverpool, the way they are going. Their form is unbelievably bad! Inexplicable.

And I do hope that City tear United a new one. That would be immensely satisfying.

Without wishing to be accused of being a troll, I find American's post suggesting he would be cheering for Liverpool and Man U to beat Fulham and City inexplicable to say the least.

Post #524810  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:39 pm 

Decaf wrote:

It really would, but despite my earlier claim about always wanting to see Man Utd lose I'd actually like them to win some games. I think they have a very good core of players offensively to build around, and I don't think Solskjaer is the right man to take them forward. Them winning some games here and there and getting a respectable league position increases the chances of Solskjaer staying on and them wasting the careers of Rashford, Fernandes and Greenwood.

Post #524811  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
Liverpool has to be the worst title defence for a long time. This goes beyond injuries now.

I get where you're coming from, but I do think it all starts with the injuries. It's not like losing defenders long term only affects your ability to defend - they've had to play midfielders in defense which has upset the whole balance of the team, and as the season has gone on they've gradually lost that all-important confidence and swagger that allowed them to play with the intensity that made them one of the best teams in the world. It's not strange that their offense has become gradually worse as the season has progressed, that's what happens when you remove the foundation of the team.

Post #524812  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:54 pm 

I just read that Pépé has only won 1 penalty for Arsenal, and that was last week v Leicester. I mean he should have easily had 5 or 6. Been fouled in the box so many times it’s crazy

Post #524813  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:58 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Liverpool has to be the worst title defence for a long time. This goes beyond injuries now.

I get where you're coming from, but I do think it all starts with the injuries. It's not like losing defenders long term only affects your ability to defend - they've had to play midfielders in defense which has upset the whole balance of the team, and as the season has gone on they've gradually lost that all-important confidence and swagger that allowed them to play with the intensity that made them one of the best teams in the world. It's not strange that their offense has become gradually worse as the season has progressed, that's what happens when you remove the foundation of the team.

Injuries of course play the biggest part but firstly they went in to this season with only 3 senior CB, 2 of which were injury prone (Matip and Gomez) they’ve immediately set themselves nowhere to turn if something happens. Secondly Klopp runs players in to the ground, very little rotation and played important players in dead rubber CL games, I think he lost Jota and Fabinho in these games. Thirdly he kept persisting with destabilising his midfield by pushing them back in defence. Fourthly, their 5 main attacking outlets - their front 3 and their full backs have always been available.
Injuries started it but their aura and confidence have evaporated. Mentally weak now

Post #524814  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
Injuries of course play the biggest part but firstly they went in to this season with only 3 senior CB, 2 of which were injury prone (Matip and Gomez) they’ve immediately set themselves nowhere to turn if something happens. Secondly Klopp runs players in to the ground, very little rotation and played important players in dead rubber CL games, I think he lost Jota and Fabinho in these games. Thirdly he kept persisting with destabilising his midfield by pushing them back in defence. Fourthly, their 5 main attacking outlets - their front 3 and their full backs have always been available.
Injuries started it but their aura and confidence have evaporated. Mentally weak now

Yeah, definitely agree about the state of their defense going into the season - for the life of me I can't figure out why they went into the season without adding a senior central defender. They were always a confidence team to a much larger extent than City, so I'm not surprised their injuries has had such an effect on the entire team.

Post #524815  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:04 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Without wishing to be accused of being a troll, I find American's post suggesting he would be cheering for Liverpool and Man U to beat Fulham and City inexplicable to say the least.

I agree bromley. What’s the reason for an Arsenal fan wanting Liverpool, who we could feasibly catch in the race for a Europa League place, to beat Fulham? I just don’t get it. And then wanting United to win the Manchester derby when City have all but won the league already.

Post #524816  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:49 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:

:laughing7: He did mention that he wasn't following closely this season.

Post #524817  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I agree bromley. What’s the reason for an Arsenal fan wanting Liverpool, who we could feasibly catch in the race for a Europa League place, to beat Fulham? I just don’t get it. And then wanting United to win the Manchester derby when City have all but won the league already.

Overtaking Liverpool is in our own hands. Win our game in hand on them and beat them in the league and we’re ahead of them. We have to target 7th place, I think 7th will get a European place next year. It means games v spurs and Liverpool are must wins to even think about 7th.

Post #524818  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:40 pm 

Man U beating City was a surprise. 28 games unbeaten, 17 in the league and 16 straight wins....already crowned champions, a great team, miles ahead of the rest.....and still absolutely miles behind the 49 game unbeaten run. Every season that goes by puts in to perspective how good that team was. People talk about the number of draws, not record points etc but not losing for that long when you can easily have 1 off day or get shafted by a decision is beyond anything achieved in the league before or since

Post #524819  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
Man U beating City was a surprise. 28 games unbeaten, 17 in the league and 16 straight wins....already crowned champions, a great team, miles ahead of the rest.....and still absolutely miles behind the 49 game unbeaten run.

Ah, that's why AG wanted United to win.

Post #524820  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:31 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:
Man U beating City was a surprise. 28 games unbeaten, 17 in the league and 16 straight wins....already crowned champions, a great team, miles ahead of the rest.....and still absolutely miles behind the 49 game unbeaten run.

But before today they’d already lost two games.

Post #524821  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:39 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

But they were still on to beat our 49 game unbeaten run in the league, and United have scuppered that. Sure they had a long way to go, but American Gooner worries about these things and its good to know he will sleep soundly tonight.

It makes one reflect on just how good those Wenger teams were, and what a pity it is that we always managed to shoot ourselves in the foot in Europe.

It also makes one wonder why he wanted Liverpool to win. Some other obscure worry or grudge?

Post #524822  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:55 pm 

Bale's hair. :laughing7: :laughing7: Why?

Post #524823  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
he done *%^@ all so far

Like this

Which he had.

Post #524824  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Is there anything more boring, pathetic yet depressingly British about this Megan markle, Harry, royal family nonsense. Makes the whole country look ridiculous. Just leave them be otherwise the world will think we are complete twats (if they still don’t!)

Your posts.

Post #524825  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:55 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

But they were still on to beat our 49 game unbeaten run in the league, and United have scuppered that. Sure they had a long way to go, but American Gooner worries about these things and its good to know he will sleep soundly tonight.

It makes one reflect on just how good those Wenger teams were, and what a pity it is that we always managed to shoot ourselves in the foot in Europe.

It also makes one wonder why he wanted Liverpool to win. Some other obscure worry or grudge?

But before their defeat today, City’s unbeaten league run was only 19 games since losing to Tottenham on 21st November. Hence they were still 30 games from equalling our record and 31 games from beating it. Isn’t it a bit early to start wanting Manchester United to beat them for that reason?

If you’re right and that was the reason, maybe that explains why he wanted Liverpool to beat Fulham. After all, Fulham had lost their last games so were only 49 games from equalling our record. Now after beating Liverpool they’re just a mere 48 games from equalling it. Time to start getting worried about Fulham threatening our record?

Post #524826  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:03 pm 

Congratulations Rangers for winning the title. The whole last 10 years has been mad up there. That’s one happy half of Glasgow to go with an incredibly unhappy one!!

Post #524827  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:45 pm 

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1069811324?-19387:844

Some good news at last :14laughter: , hopefully wiggy will do us all a favour and cut HIS losses.

It's been downhill all the way since this cretin got involved in the club, I knew it was only a matter of time until he turned us into a midtable club, but didn't know just how quickly it would happen!.

Post #524828  Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:48 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

But before their defeat today, City’s unbeaten league run was only 19 games since losing to Tottenham on 21st November. Hence they were still 30 games from equalling our record and 31 games from beating it. Isn’t it a bit early to start wanting Manchester United to beat them for that reason?

If you’re right and that was the reason, maybe that explains why he wanted Liverpool to beat Fulham. After all, Fulham had lost their last games so were only 49 games from equalling our record. Now after beating Liverpool they’re just a mere 48 games from equalling it. Time to start getting worried about Fulham threatening our record?

It did sound crazy, but AG clarified that original post by saying that he wanted Liverpool to beat Fulham, because he'd prefer for them to finish fourth rather than Chelsea.

Post #524829  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:11 am 

So glad to see City lose. I'd prefer if it was against Brom or some other relegation side but I'll take it. With 10 games to go they can win them all 5-0 as far as I care.

Their money is really showing. As far as Liverpool, didn't Klopp's Dortmund side have a similar meltdown after doing very, very well?

33 points to play for us and frankly, it will take either a helluva run and possibly a meltdown by a few sides for me to harbor much hope. Liverpool is obviously vulnerable but then you see them take the pitch and wonder how can they lose? But they are currently finding a way. I have to think Villa, West Ham and surprisingly enough Liverpool are catchable. In a perfect world Everton, who I really don't have much love for either, could be the 4th spot. Not likely maybe but I'd like to see them instead of Chelsea and Tottenham. West Ham getting a top 4 would be nice for football. Man Utd and Leicester are in the top 4 unless something out of the ordinary happens. Leicester obviously the only one of the two I don't mind in the top 4.

In any event, West Ham should see European football next season. We might. If we don't, it may light a fire under Kroenke's butt. The future of Arsenal is almost as depressing as the future of America. Kroenke was always a bad idea. The horse is beaten beyond recognition but I know American sports owners and there was no way in hell he was a better option than Usmanov, when it came to having to side with one. Usmanov is odious but at least we'd be well funded by an owner who understands the sport and was willing to invest in the club and squad. Kroenke becoming a Trump donor makes his association with us even worse.

Let's just beat Tottenham. I just hope we can manage to do that. I'd at least accept whatever fate we have with some solace.

Post #524830  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:16 am 

Rich wrote:
Overtaking Liverpool is in our own hands. Win our game in hand on them and beat them in the league and we’re ahead of them.

That would mean having to count on them maintaining their present poor form. That form can turn on a dime with the players they have. I hope so but I'm not backing a truck full of 100 pound notes at Ladbrokes.

I'd suggest with 10/11 games to go for all teams, Villa and West Ham may be more vulnerable than Liverpool. I just can't see them being this bad for too much longer. I hope so, but I don't see it.

Hate to sound like a pessimist but even if we win our game in hand and beat them, there are the several other games. But hope springs eternal.

Post #524831  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

:laughing7: It makes perfect sense now (I've muted him so I didn't see his clarification).

Post #524832  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:44 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Overtaking Liverpool is in our own hands. Win our game in hand on them and beat them in the league and we’re ahead of them.

That would mean having to count on them maintaining their present poor form. That form can turn on a dime with the players they have. I hope so but I'm not backing a truck full of 100 pound notes at Ladbrokes.

I'd suggest with 10/11 games to go for all teams, Villa and West Ham may be more vulnerable than Liverpool. I just can't see them being this bad for too much longer. I hope so, but I don't see it.

Hate to sound like a pessimist but even if we win our game in hand and beat them, there are the several other games. But hope springs eternal.

I agree, on paper you think Liverpool have to pull it together at some point and therefore maybe considered harder to catch but my point was because catching Liverpool is in our own hands it actually doesn’t matter what results Liverpool get. We don’t need them to continue their awful form to catch them - it’s completely down to us - which is different to all the other teams above us

Post #524833  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:47 am 

Getting to the business end of the season, and a draw between Chelsea and Everton is best. If one has to win, I'd prefer Everton. If one has to make top 4 and we can't, I'd like it to be Everton.

I have a soft spot for West Ham this season and I'd much rather beat out Tottenham or Chelsea than them but its a Gunnersaurus eat dog world and if it has to be the 'ammers then so be it. Then I suppose Leeds to beat them.

I'm not going to be terribly upset if we don't have European football. The way the season started out, I didn't think we'd be top half. So, thinking of European football is a mid season readjustment of goals. And with this squad, I don't want to hope too much.

For me, I just want to see Martinelli get playing time. Partey get a run of games and improve. Ødegaard get better. Saka stay injury free, Pépé continue to do well. Individual performances all around, so if/when we pick up some players in the summer we can go into next season with some optimism.

Post #524834  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:40 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1069811324?-19387:844

Some good news at last :14laughter: , hopefully wiggy will do us all a favour and cut HIS losses.

It's been downhill all the way since this cretin got involved in the club, I knew it was only a matter of time until he turned us into a midtable club, but didn't know just how quickly it would happen!.

If he sold the new owner would have to have very deep pockets. This article suggests by May 2021 that Kroenke will have had to pay near 220mil over the last few years. If we have purchased many players on the terms suggested then even if we tried to sell Pépé we would have to make something like44mil just to pay out what we owe. I wonder how many other players like Soares, Mari, Martenelli fall under this plan. We continue to pay CL wages when we are at Westham and Everton levels.

I don't see how we can even invest any money in the next transfer window. Partey did need to be paid for, so Kroenke must have paid it as was suggested by some media. As someone else suggested the other day we will be looking for loans. But Arteta must work on intergrating Saliba Martenelli and other youth into the team because we can only borrow a few players - maybe 7.

Post #524835  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:45 am 

International womens day today.

It was meant to be yesterday but they were all still getting ready.

Post #524836  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:52 am 

Some commercial financials. This points out how far we are behind commercially, even £20m behind spurs which is shocking when you consider than in terms of the main commercial revenue stream (shirt sponsor etc) we are £40m ahead of spurs at £110m to their £70m. So all the remaining commercial deals we do are worth £32m and all spurs remaining commercial deals outside of shirt sponsorship are worth £92m.

Attachments:

Post #524837  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:53 am 

Top sponsorship deals

Attachments:

Post #524838  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:18 am 

Its a big 'ask' of our present squad to win our game in hand AND beat Liverpool. But obviously I'd 'looov it' if we did. Is it too much to to ask to finish above Tottenham as well? :icon_mrgreen1:
I'm not confident of doing those all those things (winning the game in hand, beating Liverpool and doing well against the scum, away to West Ham and if it comes to the last day, beating Chelsea away.

We may have to sacrifice a virgin to the football gods. Know any? :icon_mrgreen:

Post #524839  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:50 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
We continue to pay CL wages when we are at Westham and Everton levels.

Not just jumping on you here, but I'm not sure why this line of thinking has caught on to the extent that it has. I know we were eighth last season and our league position doesn't look much better this time around, but last season Everton were 12th and West Ham were 16th. We regularly finish around 15 points ahead of Everton and 20-30 ahead of West Ham, surely it takes more than one season before they can be considered to be on our level?

Post #524840  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:32 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
We continue to pay CL wages when we are at Westham and Everton levels.

Not just jumping on you here, but I'm not sure why this line of thinking has caught on to the extent that it has. I know we were eighth last season and our league position doesn't look much better this time around, but last season Everton were 12th and West Ham were 16th. We regularly finish around 15 points ahead of Everton and 20-30 ahead of West Ham, surely it takes more than one season before they can be considered to be on our level?

Well said Hazuki. Teams like West Ham tend to have the odd decent season. One swallow doesn't a summer make.

I also fail to understand why some people are so pessimistic about our squad, or the prospect of improving it this summer.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13118, 13119, 13120, 13121, 13122, 13123, 13124 ... 14269  Next