Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, warrior and 341 guests

Post #511961  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:55 pm 

Decaf wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

The article raises several points that they appear to have made up. However the ones I can attempt to undermine are: May did not have covid19 and was not unable to attend because she was sick. Several members, name them if they exist? Read that sentence again 'they' are accusing the attendees of possibly straining public trust in the Government's response' wtf would they want to do that?

The only thing that sounds dodgy is your and the Guardian's interpretation of what goes on at the meetings. That is what is dodgy not their attendance.

If the minutes are ever published and I am proved wrong I will apologise till then it is you and your buddies that should shut up and stop undermining the work of the committee.

You do realise that these are virtual meetings nad someone could easily have recorded what was being said which makes it even more questionable that there were any undue influences made. It is just misleading fake news and that atm is true.

You have no idea of how bureaucracy and power work. Powerful people throwing their weight around in secret committee meetings are unlikely to be called out--because confronting powerful people and breaching secrecy is very scary--and can be very bad for one's career. That's why there are rules against political interference in committee like this. In this case, people do seem to have spoken out although it is not clear whether it is anonymous.

You would also have more credibility if you didn't try to defend Trump and call the Guardian fake news. For the latter, stick to specifics.

If you aren't concerned about credibility and trying to actually engage with people who do have different views, why bother?

Finally, there was a reference in the article to one of May's lieutenants' views on proper procedure. There was nothing about May getting Covid!

Read your article then mine and you'll see why the reference re May and Covid.

It is fake news and has been called out again by Majid Nawaz on LBC. He also refers to two leaders in the Times one saying he should follow the science the other saying he shouldn't.

It appears I am also in line with more and more of the public who dislike the press's sniping and who prefer to follow the Government line.

It's your clique that is out of step not me.

Post #511962  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:23 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Kim Jung Un is rumoured to be dead or incapacitated. If he's dead, what's your guess on what happens next?

And apparently, Kim Jong Un killed loads of members of his own family - along with lots of others close to him. It's so strange.

I mean, if you have have to kill almost every member of you're own family, at what point do you take a step back and say "Hey, is it me ? "

Post #511963  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:27 pm 

Fratricide and whatever the encyclopedic term for killing your uncle, is not a good legacy.

Post #511964  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:28 pm 

Here I am thinking, as all Americans do, they were a one hit wonder?
PS: I thought of a song for Kolo Toure based on this song. :58big-emoticons:

Post #511965  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:42 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
It appears I am also in line with more and more of the public who dislike the press's sniping and who prefer to follow the Government line.

Sigh. This daily argument is repetitious and is going nowhere. Despite all the impassioned words nobody has changed their standpoint at all and nor are they likely to do so.

Could we all give this a rest for a while? Please?

Post #511966  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:07 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Sigh. This daily argument is repetitious and is going nowhere. Despite all the impassioned words nobody has changed their standpoint at all and nor are they likely to do so.

Post #511967  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:12 pm 

This was NLD day today. :sad9:
Oh well....

Post #511968  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:32 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Just tell him to do one.

He’s turned the forum into Breitbart or infowars. Ain’t going away anytime soon. Not sure this was Steve’s vision.

Post #511969  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:34 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Poppycock, Freddie is an Arsenal legend.
We're talking about Freddie right? :1laughter:

Post #511970  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:39 pm 

Zed wrote:
This was NLD day today. :sad9:
Oh well....

One of my X-man mutant powers is visions of the future (and of my own grandeur incidentally) and alternate futures and we drew 1-1, Mustafi own goal and a late Martinelli strike.

Post #511971  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:47 pm 

Interesting to see Americans comments about John Barnes the other day.

He was THE player i wanted us to sign when I was a kid. So elegant and talented. Must have been gutting for arsenal not to get him as I think we practically shared a training ground with Watford.

Post #511972  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:08 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Well said sir. Why can't we just accept that there are other viewpoints listen to them and say sorry I disagree rather than start WW111 every time.

Just saw TG's post working backwards so no hope of peace then.................

Post #511973  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:51 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Kim Jung Un is rumoured to be dead or incapacitated. If he's dead, what's your guess on what happens next?

They'll bury him?

Post #511974  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:52 pm 

Covid 19 has used as cover for Herr Fuhrer to bail out a number of big companies who spent the post 2008 recession piling up the largest corporate debt in U.S. history (roughly 18 trillion or so) and to avoid mass outrage, bought of the American people with a promise of $1,200. You will also note that not everyone is getting a cheque. If you are married to an immigrant who does not have certain information you will not get one or if you are behind in child payments (both exceptions designed specifically to affect certain groups disproportionately).

Anyway, the cheques have been delayed going on several days now because Herr Fuhrer insisted on having his name on the checks. This is an election year and he wants to make sure the populace know that their windfall was solely due to his benevolence. Apparently his name was misspelled (which I am almost certain was by design by someone in the treasury department but I have no proof, only supposition) further delaying cheques to millions who have not been able to work or have been made redundant, wait a wee bit longer.

We must blame the millions that blindly support him. I think I know how some Germans who opposed the original Fuhrer felt. I have beloved friends who support him. These aren't the brown shirted, Munich beer hall types. Very loving people, who I cherish dearly. Kind, giving, people. I wouldn't befriend any other type for so many years. But they support 'him'. Its very, very difficult to have cognitive dissonance and rectify the two. I've unfriended several on social media. They were the more outspoken ones. People I no longer recognized by their rhetoric. The vast majority of the ones I know support him quietly. They aren't making social media posts extolling his virtues. But they do support him nonetheless and the quandary I have is do I still maintain a social relationship with these people?

Some of us go back to grade school, 7, 8 year olds who were teammates from youth sides or befriended the new guy at lunch in 3rd grade. I know to my core history will judge him harshly, rightfully so, and just like people who supported Nixon, even while Watergate was going on, Reagan, both Bushes, they are now silent about that support. You'll find more men who will admit to Milli Vanilli concert than you will those who will admit voting for Bush...twice.

The vast majority of my old friends who support him will use 'the economy' as cover but you know this is either a ruse and/or they covertly approve of the caging of immigrant children dragged from their parents with no word on their parents whereabouts or the tacit approval of far right wing nationalist extremists who hold an ethnic litmus test to everything.

It's difficult. I know I would judge harshly any German who said they opposed Hitler but stayed friends with those that did. I wonder what I would tell my progeny if asked? As I asked my parents what their role was in the Civil rights, Vietnam and Women's right era.

Post #511975  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:57 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Poppycock, Freddie is an Arsenal legend.
We're talking about Freddie right? :1laughter:

I thought that it was Sylvain Wilford. :laughing7:

Post #511976  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Just tell him to do one.

He’s turned the forum into Breitbart or infowars. Ain’t going away anytime soon. Not sure this was Steve’s vision.

To be fair to Bubble, he's usually responding (and yes escalating) but not initiating these things. And he is sound on Arsenal.

I deleted facebook to escape getting drawn into this sort of pointless argument, so it is silly to do it here. Giving it a rest gets my :58big-emoticons:

Post #511977  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:01 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Well said sir. Why can't we just accept that there are other viewpoints listen to them and say sorry I disagree rather than start WW111 every time.

Just saw TG's post working backwards so no hope of peace then.................

Move on.

Post #511978  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:16 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Covid 19 has used as cover for Herr Fuhrer to bail out a number of big companies who spent the post 2008 recession piling up the largest corporate debt in U.S. history (roughly 18 trillion or so) and to avoid mass outrage, bought of the American people with a promise of $1,200. You will also note that not everyone is getting a cheque. If you are married to an immigrant who does not have certain information you will not get one or if you are behind in child payments (both exceptions designed specifically to affect certain groups disproportionately).

Anyway, the cheques have been delayed going on several days now because Herr Fuhrer insisted on having his name on the checks. This is an election year and he wants to make sure the populace know that their windfall was solely due to his benevolence. Apparently his name was misspelled (which I am almost certain was by design by someone in the treasury department but I have no proof, only supposition) further delaying cheques to millions who have not been able to work or have been made redundant, wait a wee bit longer.

We must blame the millions that blindly support him. I think I know how some Germans who opposed the original Fuhrer felt. I have beloved friends who support him. These aren't the brown shirted, Munich beer hall types. Very loving people, who I cherish dearly. Kind, giving, people. I wouldn't befriend any other type for so many years. But they support 'him'. Its very, very difficult to have cognitive dissonance and rectify the two. I've unfriended several on social media. They were the more outspoken ones. People I no longer recognized by their rhetoric. The vast majority of the ones I know support him quietly. They aren't making social media posts extolling his virtues. But they do support him nonetheless and the quandary I have is do I still maintain a social relationship with these people?

Some of us go back to grade school, 7, 8 year olds who were teammates from youth sides or befriended the new guy at lunch in 3rd grade. I know to my core history will judge him harshly, rightfully so, and just like people who supported Nixon, even while Watergate was going on, Reagan, both Bushes, they are now silent about that support. You'll find more men who will admit to Milli Vanilli concert than you will those who will admit voting for Bush...twice.

The vast majority of my old friends who support him will use 'the economy' as cover but you know this is either a ruse and/or they covertly approve of the caging of immigrant children dragged from their parents with no word on their parents whereabouts or the tacit approval of far right wing nationalist extremists who hold an ethnic litmus test to everything.

It's difficult. I know I would judge harshly any German who said they opposed Hitler but stayed friends with those that did. I wonder what I would tell my progeny if asked? As I asked my parents what their role was in the Civil rights, Vietnam and Women's right era.

I'm not a Trump fan, but I can't help but cringe when he's compared to Adolf Hitler. I wish people wouldn't do it.
Perhaps do a bit of research on Hitler then ask yourself how appropriate the comparison is.

Post #511979  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:23 pm 

Thoroughly enjoyable walk down memory lane. :58big-emoticons:
Didn't realize Tottenham had a decent side in that '71 season. Moreso Chelsea! Also, it is the first time I'm hearing of the tragedy at the Ibrox for the old firm derby. I've only heard of the Liverpool one in '89.
Was it really handball at Huddersfield? Were Leeds justified in that they were robbed vs West Brom?

Post #511980  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:20 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
I'm not a Trump fan, but I can't help but cringe when he's compared to Adolf Hitler. I wish people wouldn't do it.
Perhaps do a bit of research on Hitler then ask yourself how appropriate the comparison is.

Well said Bromley.

Post #511981  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:49 pm 

Decaf wrote:
To be fair to Bubble, he's usually responding (and yes escalating) but not initiating these things. And he is sound on Arsenal.

I think you’ve summed the situation up well there Decaf. I’ve had disagreements with bubblechris but I was disappointed to see Top Gun suggest he doesn’t like Arsenal. bubblechris has never left me in any doubt that he’s a true Arsenal fan. I wondered if Top Gun was regurgitating his idea from years ago when he felt he was a West Ham supporter (because of the reference to bubbles in his forum name). The “I’m forever blowing bubbles” song West Ham fans sing.

I thought then, and still do, that it’s more likely he’s a male named Christopher of Greek ethnicity (due to bubble and squeak meaning Greek in Cockney rhyming slang). Having said that, there are plenty of females called Chris (Christine or Christina) so I can’t be sure about my gender assumption for him (or her). Given me the impression of being middle aged, maybe even approaching retirement or recently retired but again I may be mistaken there.

However, the three things about bubblechris that I’m most confident about is that he favoured Brexit, routinely (if not always) votes Conservative and that he’s a genuine and loyal gooner.

Post #511982  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:07 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I think you’ve summed the situation up well there Decaf. I’ve had disagreements with bubblechris but I was disappointed to see Top Gun suggest he doesn’t like Arsenal. bubblechris has never left me in any doubt that he’s a true Arsenal fan. I wondered if Top Gun was regurgitating his idea from years ago when he felt he was a West Ham supporter (because of the reference to bubbles in his forum name). The “I’m forever blowing bubbles” song West Ham fans sing.

I thought then, and still do, that it’s more likely he’s a male named Christopher of Greek ethnicity (due to bubble and squeak meaning Greek in Cockney rhyming slang). Having said that, there are plenty of females called Chris (Christine or Christina) so I can’t be sure about my gender assumption for him (or her). Given me the impression of being middle aged, maybe even approaching retirement or recently retired but again I may be mistaken there.

However, the three things about bubblechris that I’m most confident about is that he favoured Brexit, routinely (if not always) votes Conservative and that he’s a genuine and loyal gooner.

:58big-emoticons: two and a half out of three Bernard. I was a socialist and loyal Labour voter till I sussed out Corbyn for what he was.

I am male, retired around 2012/2013 and am also known as Chris, as is my brother Chris and my daughters Christiana and Elena. Dad Antonios was also known as Chris. British born Cypriot hence the bubble.

Shame the six year old isn't as sharp as you are......................

Post #511983  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:28 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Well said Bromley.

Seconded.

It would be nice if the message about not making provocative remarks about Trump and Johnson could somehow be conveyed to American Gooner.

Post #511984  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:09 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
I am male, retired around 2012/2013

Presume that makes you around fifty years younger than LTG and about a hundred years younger than OMOH.

Post #511985  Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
I am male, retired around 2012/2013

Presume that makes you around fifty years younger than LTG and about a hundred years younger than OMOH.

Oi!!!!

I resemble that remark.

Post #511986  Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:08 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Well said. It trivialises the sheer horror of what Hitler unleashed.

Post #511987  Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:52 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Whereas with Trump it as if Cannon got lost on his way home from the Windmill and somehow wondered into the US presidency. The belligerence, the confusion (mixing up 'Nobles' and Pulitzers :15laughter: :15laughter: ) the subsequent contortions ... Its not evil... but Jesus and Mary, you wouldn't want it in charge of a bicycle let alone the USA.

Post #511988  Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:39 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Whereas with Trump it as if Cannon got lost on his way home from the Windmill and somehow wondered into the US presidency. The belligerence, the confusion (mixing up 'Nobles' and Pulitzers :15laughter: :15laughter: ) the subsequent contortions ... Its not evil... but Jesus and Mary, you wouldn't want it in charge of a bicycle let alone the USA.

:20hospitals: did you use Google translate and forget to check the response before posting it :42laughter:

:12hello-bye:

Post #511989  Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:38 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Decaf wrote:

:20hospitals: did you use Google translate and forget to check the response before posting it :42laughter:

:12hello-bye:

Huh? What don't you understand?

Post #511990  Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:33 pm 

Being on lockdown you watch all kinds of things. This is an interesting story from former Columbo capo Michael Franzese

When i was a kid there was a pizza parlor that it was just known you didn't act up in. No one said specifically but you saw how the toughest kids or the ones who were trouble makers deferred to them. You get environmental awareness about certain places...lol

Post #511991  Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:39 pm 

...as an aside, he was mentioned by name briefly in Goodfellas when Henry Hill was walking through the lounge mentioning different people. He was nicknamed the 'Yuppie Don' (he was a capo not a boss). Made tens of millions with a scam on the tax on petrol. Supposedly bought his way out of the mob.

After the Gambinos and then the Genoveses's it was debatable who was the 3rd biggest between the Lucchese or Columbo families. The Bonannos were always the smallest in the modern era.

Post #511992  Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:59 pm 

Panorama tonight was jaw dropping. Johnson and his cronies should resign.

Post #511993  Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:20 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I had no idea we had beaten Liverpool the way to the '80 cup final. We were in 3 straight cup finals and lost the 2 easiest ones and won the one that was the hardest. Trying figure that out. ??

Enjoyed watching that, don't think I've seen it since the highlights were broadcast that night. Ipswich in 78 were an excellent team on the rise while I think the team was just completely knackered by the time the cup final arrived in 80. I feel really old watching stuff like this now and it really underscores how awful the game is today.

Post #511994  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:40 am 

I genuinely envy those of you present for those games (save for the level of hooliganism at that time).

Post #511995  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:50 am 

I was watching a docu on the Man Utd vs Leeds rivalry and they said that Revie was offered the Man Utd job. Wow! What might have been.

Post #511996  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:35 am 

According to the commentator, we hadn't won at Chelsea for a fairly long time. Was there outrage of Kennedy going to Liverpool?

Post #511997  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:57 am 

When I lived in LA, at the apartment i stayed in at the time, I got the mail for the guy above me. He and his girlfriend lived there. We passed each other but nothing more than a polite 'Hello' that we all say to acknowledge someone in close quarters and not seem rude.

I noticed the last name on the mail seemed so familiar. I didn't know where I knew that name from. They threw a small party once and the smart thing to do in apartment buildings is to invite the adjacent neighbors in case you are going to play loud music or at least get their permission ahead of time.

They told me they were throwing a party, music was may get a little loud and I was more than welcome to stop by and grab a beer or some food, the door is going to be open. I'm not one to pass up free food :58big-emoticons: and thought I'd stop by long enough to eat without seeming like I was eating and running. I also noticed from the start they had an east coast accent. I was introduced around to his friends, co worker or two and made small talk. I mentioned I was out here from Philly and he looked at his girlfriend. 'Oh really? Where abouts?" and he mentioned he was from Philly as well. Philly (as well as NYC) is all about neighborhoods. London is the same. In all 3 cities if you said you had a friend from there and you mentioned his area, gentrification aside, you could ascertain his probable ethnicity and socioeconomic group.

Anyway, from there we became friendly, and in the summer once in a while would speak more and more. It was several months and I said "Your name seems so familiar when I get your mail by accident" (I was in 6 he was in 9). Eventually, he said he was related to someone "connected" and in Philly, its coded speech for the mafia. I didn't react negatively or whatever. He shared the same last name but had no relationship whatsoever with the mafioso by that name. Phil Leonetti, a capo for his uncle 'Little Nicky' Scarfo, head of the Philly mob, didn't know his father well. He bore his name but had no relationship. That father's relative was this guy's father. I can't recall if it was his brother or cousin.

Anyway, he grew up far from south Philadelphia where the Italian mafia was headquartered. He said when his namesake made the news, the people in his neighborhood in NE Philly (a mixture of different ethnicities, and depending on the street, it was either Irish, Jewish or Italian). Anyway, kids he knew as a kid, no longer hung out with him. Parents made sure of that. He felt betrayed. His family had no connection to the mafia whatsoever. So, he and his gf moved to LA for a new start.

Post #511998  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:02 am 

Darren wrote:

Just watched it Darren. Staggering. We've been spun an absolute pile of shite since this all started. Lies upon lies, week after week. "Follow the science" my arse. Choose the science that suits the story they want to spin, more like.

Not sure about resigning - this should hit the courts.

Post #511999  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:12 am 

DHD wrote:
Darren wrote:

Just watched it Darren. Staggering. We've been spun an absolute pile of shite since this all started. Lies upon lies, week after week. "Follow the science" my arse. Choose the science that suits the story they want to spin, more like.

Not sure about resigning - this should hit the courts.

This is also staggering: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... nal/latest

Post #512000  Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:17 am 

I simply LOVE the matches where I don't know what the result will be. It's closest to being there.

No idea we played the scum for the league cup semis in '68. First leg here.

[ 571969 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12797, 12798, 12799, 12800, 12801, 12802, 12803 ... 14300  Next