Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 108 guests

Post #511801  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:07 am 

long time gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Enough said by me. Let's talk football or Brexit...............

Except for the Brexit bit

Never going to happen. Ooops :42laughter:

Post #511802  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:26 am 

I really hope all the first class cricket counties survive. Even my personal least favourites Surrey and Yorkshire, as well as those I find the most boring (Northamptonshire top of the list though the other East Midlands ones, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire aren’t too far behind).

My dislike of some football clubs is clearly more extreme. While I realise they won’t, if any (or ideally all) of Manchester United, Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool went under, it wouldn’t bother me at all.

Presumably linked to me coming from the area, I’ve never liked Barnet FC. But I do hope they survive.

Post #511803  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:28 am 

Bernard wrote:
I really hope all the first class cricket counties survive. Even my personal least favourites Surrey and Yorkshire, as well as those I find the most boring (Northamptonshire top of the list though the other East Midlands ones, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire aren’t too far behind).

My dislike of some football clubs is clearly more extreme. While I realise they won’t, if any (or ideally all) of Manchester United, Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool went under, it wouldn’t bother me at all.

Well that is news to me, I never knew one cricket team could be more boring than another.

Post #511804  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:32 am 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
I'm not sure how the lower league clubs survive this as they are heavily reliant on gate receipts to pay wages.

Me neither.

I see that the EFL are keen to finish the Championship but not Div One and Two because the lower leagues would have virtually no TV income and zero gate receipts.

In their typical half arsed way they are suggesting that the Championship be played out to a conclusion and that Divs One and Two be decided on a points per game basis. Which is all well and fine except that many of the non league divisions have been simply wrapped up as though they never happened (devastating to those clubs in a Liverpool type situation. In fact one club was already mathematically certain of being promoted having won every game).

I read somewhere (not sure how true) that the players would effectively have to be quarantined in a hotel for the duration of the remaining games, which could be a couple of months. Lower league clubs would not want the expense of doing that plus the players are hardly likely to relish being locked away from their families for two months at such a difficult time.

Post #511805  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:34 am 

Bernard wrote:

The County sides don't get any spectators anyway so it wouldn't be too bad playing behind closed doors. :laughing7:

Post #511806  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:47 am 

socrates wrote:
I read somewhere (not sure how true) that the players would effectively have to be quarantined in a hotel for the duration of the remaining games, which could be a couple of months. Lower league clubs would not want the expense of doing that plus the players are hardly likely to relish being locked away from their families for two months at such a difficult time.

The quarantine requirement looks to be a nailed on certainty.

Post #511807  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:48 am 

Niall wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Well that is news to me, I never knew one cricket team could be more boring than another.

I’ve always found Middlesex (as I support them), the other Greater London ones Surrey and Essex, the northern rivals Lancashire and Yorkshire (but not Durham) and Warwickshire (because Birmingham is such a big place) as the most interesting counties. The south coast ones Kent, Sussex, Hampshire and Somerset are also fairly interesting (though less so than the others I’ve just mentioned). Then come the West Country ones, Glamorgan in Wales, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire, probably around the level of Durham from the north. Bottom of the pile in who I find interesting are the East Midlands ones, from the least boring to the most boring Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Northamptonshire.

I do hope they all survive though.

Post #511808  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:05 am 

I have already done all the hard work for Gooners and found a song for him if his name is pronounced anywhere close.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/20/atletico ... -12584744/
Atletico Madrid offer to double Thomas Partey’s wages to fend off Arsenal interest

Post #511809  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:07 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The County sides don't get any spectators anyway so it wouldn't be too bad playing behind closed doors. :laughing7:

For county cricket you’re right. But believe it or not, some of them do for limited over cricket. I know it’s a London derby which makes it more interesting but a couple of years ago me and a friend went to a t20 game at Lords between Middlesex and Surrey without getting a ticket in advance and we were very, very lucky to get in. So much so that when we went to Middlesex’s away t20 game against Surrey at the Oval last season, we got our tickets in advance.

Post #511810  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:24 am 

Attachment:

Post #511811  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:37 am 

socrates wrote:

I know it was said in jest Soc but you would be surprised how many turn up for county cricket. The 20/20 matches are always sold out pretty much. Maybe not Lords or the Oval but they are still well attended at those venues. Even the championship matches do attract a fair few especially at the smaller grounds such as Canterbury and Hove. Plus the outgrounds that most counties use as part of the festival week are very popular, more so if the weather is good. Arundel and Guildford being two examples. I hope that there will be some form of cricket this summer but we shall see.

Post #511812  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:32 pm 

Get in!
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=598326757438482

Post #511813  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:37 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Decaf your answers are in the link posted by Niall

I'm not really interested in blaming Johnson or even Trump for their actions. Governments do make honest mistakes. They also have an ingrained tendency to try to deny and cover up, and then to issue exactly that sort of huffy response to criticism that mirror article exemplifies. The Tories issuing a mea culpa would be most extraordinary.

What IS very concerning is the attempts to rewrite history and cast China (and even more ridiculously, the WHO) as villains and the 'good guys' (the US and UK) as having done everything perfectly. If that isn't your intention then fair enough.

The Chinese certainly dithered and denied but they did this when far less was known about the disease and also (it seems to me) for a relatively short time. They then acted decisively. Why are people so willing to believe ill of the Chinese (including the story of the virus coming from a lab), I wonder?

Post #511814  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:41 pm 

socrates wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Me neither.

I see that the EFL are keen to finish the Championship but not Div One and Two because the lower leagues would have virtually no TV income and zero gate receipts.

In their typical half arsed way they are suggesting that the Championship be played out to a conclusion and that Divs One and Two be decided on a points per game basis. Which is all well and fine except that many of the non league divisions have been simply wrapped up as though they never happened (devastating to those clubs in a Liverpool type situation. In fact one club was already mathematically certain of being promoted having won every game).

They might not relish it, but how else are they going to earn money?

We live in very strange times and I'm sure things are going to get weirder in the most unpredictable ways before they get better. Who would ever have believed the the price of oil could be negative, for example?

Post #511815  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:51 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Why are people so willing to believe ill of the Chinese (including the story of the virus coming from a lab), I wonder?

Perhaps because there is a virus research lab just down the road from that wet market in Wuhan? And perhaps because they appear to be economical with the truth?

Post #511816  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:04 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Why are people so willing to believe ill of the Chinese (including the story of the virus coming from a lab), I wonder?

Perhaps because there is a virus research lab just down the road from that wet market in Wuhan? And perhaps because they appear to be economical with the truth?

I think people are willing to believe ill of the Chinese government and authorities, as opposed to the Chinese people per se. With good reason as they are a ruthless bunch. Where the virus actually originated I have no idea, but there is a real possibility that the Chinese government know more than they're letting on.

Post #511817  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:20 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:

:42laughter:

Post #511818  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:39 pm 

Really interesting seeing these old games. As I said before, I greatly under estimated just how skillful they were. I guess its from watching old basketball games from that era and seeing the skill level not as good as today so I was a bit prejudiced in applying the same view to football years ago.

I took a look at the table and saw that we were runner up in the league to Liverpool. I assume we still had a good squad from the '71 double season. "Only" 3 points behind? Those days it was 2 points for a win, right? We were fairly close I assume.

Also, the announcer mentioned 'Sunderland' for Wolves and I thought, "No, it can't be?" and looked it up and he played for Wolves from '71 to '77, as I'm sure that's well known to you old fogies.
"
I also enjoy reading the comments from those who were there or the comments in general, reminiscing (as you all do on here) what was going on at the time. One of the comments that made me laugh was

"Centre circle looks like Battle of the Somme field" lol

Post #511819  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:50 pm 

Hamburg vs Santos friendly in 1962. Pele with a nice curler before the Germans fouled him hard enough to require the medic. Prelude to the World Cup I guess where he took a beating.

Post #511820  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:

That the Chinese may be economical with the truth is not relevant. How would you describe Trump's relationship with the truth?

The impetus the research lab story seems to come from Fox News anchors looking to shift the blame away from their boy.

From what I have read, the genetic evidence is suggests that the 'lab' story is almost certainly not true.

To me it seem like tail (i.e. what people want to believe) wagging dog here.

In any case, the real story isn't where the virus originated. It is our almost comical vulnerability to existential threats like viral outbreaks and ecological collapse, and our unwillingness to take relatively small preventative investments.

Post #511821  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Presumably linked to me coming from the area, I’ve never liked Barnet FC. But I do hope they survive.

That's quite a juvenile viewpoint to take Bernard. The season would not be the same without those clubs. It's beating the clubs you dislike most that gives football fandom is raison d'etre.

Post #511822  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:03 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I think people are willing to believe ill of the Chinese government and authorities, as opposed to the Chinese people per se. With good reason as they are a ruthless bunch. Where the virus actually originated I have no idea, but there is a real possibility that the Chinese government know more than they're letting on.

Which governments do you think are 'letting on', as opposed to trying to spin things to make them look good (or less bad)?

I think the genetic evidence is a better guide.

Post #511823  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:09 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:

They are the most odious regime on the planet after DPRK but the science says it didn't come from a lab. It seems lab generated viruses have a marker absent from naturally occurring viruses. Simply put it is beyond human capacity to design a virus like Covid 19. That is at least what I pick up from listening to the experts.

Post #511824  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:42 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

They are the most odious regime on the planet after DPRK but the science says it didn't come from a lab. It seems lab generated viruses have a marker absent from naturally occurring viruses. Simply put it is beyond human capacity to design a virus like Covid 19. That is at least what I pick up from listening to the experts.

There are certainly odious elements, more so under Xi than before. But, I'd bet that that most Chinese citizens do not regard their government as 'odious' at all.

And, certainly not 'most odious'. That is an exaggeration. There is a whole rogues gallery of awful, disfunctional, oppressive and globally destabilising regimes, like Iran, Syria, Russia and Saudi Arabia? Not to mention the merely odious Kazakstan, Brazil, Togo, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Djibouti, Venezuela, Yemen, Burma, Guinea-Bissau, Uzbekistan, Tajikisan, the DRC, etc. etc.

So why the hyperbolic anti-China rhetoric?

Mostly it is because China has been so successful (they have been remarkably sucessful at uplifting their own population from poverty, but that isn't the issue here). The yanks really don't like the prospect of the boot being on the other foot and the press is playing into that fear.

Post #511825  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:32 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

The point is it may have escaped from a lab in which it was being studied, rather than being genetically engineered. This is very much within the realms of possibility.
I agree that the Chinese government is odious - individual freedoms are a long way down their list of priorities.

Post #511826  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:06 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
That's quite a juvenile viewpoint to take Bernard. The season would not be the same without those clubs. It's beating the clubs you dislike most that gives football fandom is raison d'etre.

Well I sure as hell wouldn’t miss them. I’m sure people would start disliking other clubs instead if you think that’s the raisin d’etre of football fandom. If that makes my viewpoint juvenile in your opinion, so be it.

By the way, I did say I realise it won’t happen. Manchester United could well be the least likely club to go under.

Post #511827  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:22 pm 

Aren't all the great powers odious in one way or the other? Don't they all have their faults?

As far as the Chinese go I cannot see why we cannot take 5g from them when they are the cheapest and fastest and because we need it yesterday for the UK to succeed quicker from the breakup of the EU. There will always be problems with security but looking outside of the box why don't we just make sure nothing critical is transmitted over 5g. Why not make 6g secure from now, if anything can be secure, and we can look forward to the benefits of being one of the most advanced nations in the world.............

Post #511828  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:02 pm 

Netherlands has banned professional until September. So that’s one league that’s going to be finishing early then, with ramifications for Champions League qualification I suppose.

Post #511829  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:37 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Netherlands has banned professional until September. So that’s one league that’s going to be finishing early then, with ramifications for Champions League qualification I suppose.

The Irish government announced this evening that there will be no gatherings exceeding 5000 people before the end of August at the earliest. With all the talk of finishing this season, there's no guarantee that next season will work either.

Post #511830  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:57 pm 

Just read a thread on twatter saying WHO advised UEFA no European fixtures to, wait for it, end of 2021.

Post #511831  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:00 pm 

Post #511832  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:26 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Two issues arise about attendance and therefore gate receipts. When will clubs be allowed to open their stadia is one thing. More crucially is how many people would be prepared to take the risk of putting themselves into such a crowd?
Many of Arsenal’s older generation might decide to opt out for the foreseeable.
Watching Didier Drogba regularly walk through our so-called defence was enough for me, let alone a killer virus.

Post #511833  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:03 am 

I had no idea what the score was prior to watching it and it made it infinitely more exciting to see these highlights. I didn't think we'd even get a result from seeing the early part of the match. By the way, a certain player named Keegan who played for Liverpool wasn't too shabby. :58big-emoticons: But its interesting seeing Kennedy, Ball and others. Wilson stood tall in goal and I've come to appreciate him a bit more. I love the crowds and wish they showed more of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToZhd3 ... jreload=10

Post #511834  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:27 am 

At the time this was played, we had a decent record at Anfield, which I was surprised to hear. Freddy was born on this day.

Post #511835  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:44 am 

Niall wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Except for the Brexit bit

Never going to happen. Ooops :42laughter:

When Boris had 2 excellent nurses dedicated to saving his life, I understand from the news they were a New Zealander and a Portugese citizen. Post Brexit would he have survived and many others if the Portugese citizen was not allowed in the country. Is there sufficient expertise in the UK to not require either of these workers?

Post #511836  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:56 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Aren't all the great powers odious in one way or the other? Don't they all have their faults?

As far as the Chinese go I cannot see why we cannot take 5g from them when they are the cheapest and fastest and because we need it yesterday for the UK to succeed quicker from the breakup of the EU. There will always be problems with security but looking outside of the box why don't we just make sure nothing critical is transmitted over 5g. Why not make 6g secure from now, if anything can be secure, and we can look forward to the benefits of being one of the most advanced nations in the world.............

Jeez if you are worried about security - Pine Gap might give you nightmares.

Post #511837  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:01 am 

Niall wrote:

That may not be surprising as one of the major problems for spread in Italy and Spain was believed to be the Atalanta Valencia first leg CL game.

Post #511838  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:25 am 

Listening to a few sports podcasts, it may be that a segment of the fanbase may never be back. The over 50 or 60, specifically those who are taking meds for something.
They may never be back and frankly, can't blame them. Young people, at least in America, have stopped attending live sports in the same numbers their fathers and grandfathers did. Live professional sports specifically.
MMA matches, university sports such as American football have sold out 90k or even 100k stadiums literally for decades. I can't see that going away.
But older folks and those anyone living with some malady that affects an organ and needing meds? No, they won't be back in anywhere close to the numbers.
I assume there are a number of forumites on here that fit that exact demographic of fans who are thinking they won't be using their season tickets as much if it all.

Post #511839  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:52 am 

I guess I wasn't the only one.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... l-21904710

“Everyone who I’ve spoken to since leaving Arsenal or even when I was at Arsenal would say they wouldn’t mind playing against us because they knew they could get opportunities. Going forward we were always a joke," Wilshere said in an Instagram Live chat with Sam Morgan.

Post #511840  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:54 am 

:53big-emoticons:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12793, 12794, 12795, 12796, 12797, 12798, 12799 ... 14269  Next