Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gaz from Oz, Googlebot, Rich, warrior and 165 guests

Post #477001  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
I'd accept optimistic but not naive. at least you held back on the childish comments. Not long ago the same was said of my belief that we'd end up at Xmas ahead of Chelsea, I stand by it. are you man enough to disagree?

Apart from his questionable transfer policies. If you were manager do you seriously think you'd do better? His obvious errors on tactics, apart sometimes substitution's, are his only fault as far as I can see.

Fergie would not have been so successful had he not had such good number two's year after year. If AW took the same approach I do not think we would have had such a run of titleless seasons.

If I was manager of Arsenal for 20 years I would certainly not keep doing the same thing time and again when it has proven not to work for the last 13 years.

In all those years though did no-one tell him that?

Post #477002  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:14 pm 

The AGM sounds like it was a bit lively.
Votes from the floor opposed the re-election of Keswick and Josh Kroenke to the board. A token protest, of course they were duly re-elected. Some angry exchanges I hear and the meeting terminated early.
If you are/were there Bernard or any other forum members, would be interesting to hear your comments.

Post #477003  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:02 pm 

Man Utd vs Tottenham this weekend. I detest both sides, and a draw is the best result with lots of red cards and injuries but if one has to win I'll hold my nose and say Tottenham. The scum has made me grudgingly respect them.
Mourinho and Man Utd are odious though. So, one has to win and one has to lose, then let the scum win.

PS: Hoping City lose soon. As well good as the league is top to bottom and anyone can lose to anyone any given match, City are playing on another level. I want to see a loss soon.

Post #477004  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:52 pm 

West Ham at home in the QF of the League Cup

Post #477005  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:52 pm 

West Ham at the Emirates.

Easy peasy :1laughter:

Post #477006  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:20 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Man Utd vs Tottenham this weekend. I detest both sides, and a draw is the best result with lots of red cards and injuries but if one has to win I'll hold my nose and say Tottenham. The scum has made me grudgingly respect them.
Mourinho and Man Utd are odious though. So, one has to win and one has to lose, then let the scum win.

PS: Hoping City lose soon. As well good as the league is top to bottom and anyone can lose to anyone any given match, City are playing on another level. I want to see a loss soon.

Quite frankly, a home pitch brawl over a penalty given to Spurs, from a dodgy Alli dive, while Mour tries poking Poch's eye out would be sheer entertainment. :15laughter:

Post #477007  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:07 pm 

Only a tweak is required and here it is presented by our manager.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2740 ... rting-role

Theo's time will come apparently. Did he see the captains performance against Norwich. The fact he made him captain is a disgrace in itself. Both Wenger and Theo are part of the problem not the solution.

PKI for the year for Wenger 85 points. PKI for Theo - actually get engaged in a game for 90 minutes and then repeat game after game. Sell him, we need he money to replace Alexis and Özil and ......

Post #477008  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:11 pm 

Rich wrote:
West Ham at home in the QF of the League Cup

London derbies are never something you want in a cup tie but we should win it IF we a. respect the competition and go into the game with that mindset and b. we field the right XI. I don't mind young players being in the squad for this match but lets at least have a strategy about us instead of throwing out any XI and say 'go at it'.

Post #477009  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:05 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Votes from the floor opposed the re-election of Keswick and Josh Kroenke to the board. A token protest, of course they were duly re-elected. Some angry exchanges I hear and the meeting terminated early.
If you are/were there Bernard or any other forum members, would be interesting to hear your comments.

The AGM told us nothing we didn't already know:

1. Kroenke is a mute who only issues lame platitudes through the press about wanting to win everything, while investing nothing and backing an accountant as manager due to his cost saving principles.

2. Ivan is a toothless CEO who is there to serve Kroenke and Wenger.

3. Chips is an incompetent bufoon who prefers horse racing to football, much less your average football fan (oik).

4. Arsenal as a club are royally f*cked until most/all of them go, it comes to something when the best of the bunch is possibly Gazidis, purely because he seems somewhat "connected" within UEFA etc. and he might actually do something once Wenger releases his grip but that is being ridiculously optimistic I grant you!.

The future is bright..

(if you're a majority shareholder looking at future TV/internet revenues).

Rome must burn before it can be rebuilt!.

A clip from the AGM someone helpfully uploaded https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvLrD8KWD5k

Post #477010  Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:00 am 

Thanks for the report Wilts.

The future of The Arsenal (post Stan dying) is his son, Josh. Stan isn't going to sell unless he needs to. America (and for that matter China) will have a financial bubble popping. Its not if, its when. So far the billionaires not only make out well, they have gotten richer because they pick up assets on the cheap through vulture investing.

Maybe Stan has positioned himself well, maybe not but that (his losing big money) from a recession is the only scenario I can think of. The NFL is losing viewership...in droves. The NBA is doing decently.

The probable long term issue is going to be his son. What type of owner will he be? We have some small clues by how he is involved in a couple of Stan's teams. Namely the NBA Nuggets and NHL Avalanche Stan is over 70 and he can go at any time. Josh is a basketball fan, having played it college. Which I am guessing won't bode well for The Arsenal for two reasons. 1. he may not be interested our sport. 2. He loves basketball and can't even make the Nuggets a winner. So, I'm not optimistic.

Post #477011  Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:19 am 

Telegraph on the AGM. Frankly, I think its a bit crazy to attend the AGM and think you will hear anything new or profound. But that's me. Where we are is obvious. The transfer market, Wenger being offered a contract, our performance on the pitch says it all. No meeting is going to change that fact to make it rosier. No matter how many power point presentations and videos and speeches.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... -did-mean/

Post #477012  Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:26 pm 

Catalonian Parliament declares independence.

Will Barca be kicked out of the Champion's League?

Will there be a divorce settlement, will the Spanish Government demand an exit fee?

Is the EU breaking up slowly but surely?

Post #477013  Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:59 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Catalonian Parliament declares independence.

Will there be a divorce settlement, will the Spanish Government demand an exit fee?

Is the EU breaking up slowly but surely?

Wait till the Basque region decides to get started. Football clubs there as well.
I doubt Madrid will let Barca stay in La Liga. Maybe come to PL!?
:7laughter:

Post #477014  Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:58 pm 

[quote="Zed"][quote="bubblechris"]Catalonian Parliament declares independence.

Is the EU breaking up slowly but surely?[/quote]
Wait till the Basque region decides to get started. Football clubs there as well.
:7laughter:[/quote]
Evening Zed. Why should they come to the Premier League? To be honest I reckon they'll stay in La Liga even if Catalonia gets full independence, which I don't expect them to.

Post #477015  Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Evening Zed. Why should they come to the Premier League? To be honest I reckon they'll stay in La Liga even if Catalonia gets full independence, which I don't expect them to.

I’ve spent quite a lot of time in Catalonia over the years Bernard and I know a few things:

- They still feel a deep resentment over the way their region was treated after the Civil War
- They seriously dislike Madrid
- They work hard and disdain the ‘siesta’ culture that still pervades much of Spain
- They are, as a region, business-savvy to a degree that elevates them above all other regions in Spain - sharp as sewer rats!
- Unlike the Basques or indeed the Scots, they have the economic wherewithal to go it alone
- Catalunyans are a gritty bunch who will not back down.

Tricky times ahead and it will probably impact us all.

Could be tanks on the streets soon.

Post #477016  Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:09 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I’ve spent quite a lot of time in Catalonia over the years Bernard and I know a few things:

- They still feel a deep resentment over the way their region was treated after the Civil War
- They seriously dislike Madrid
- They work hard and disdain the ‘siesta’ culture that still pervades much of Spain
- They are, as a region, business-savvy to a degree that elevates them above all other regions in Spain - sharp as sewer rats!
- Unlike the Basques or indeed the Scots, they have the economic wherewithal to go it alone
- Catalunyans are a gritty bunch who will not back down.

Tricky times ahead and it will probably impact us all.

Could be tanks on the streets soon.

I'm sure you're right about the depth of feelings over there, as well as the other characteristics you mention. But I doubt it will be the final decision of Catalonia. I'd also doubt if Barcelona would even want to leave La Liga. To go where?

Post #477017  Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:47 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Hello B,
A month ago, a few online papers said there was a possibility Barca could join the PL. They also mentioned possibility of them even joining French, German or Italian leagues. Again, that's only if the Catalan independence actually happens, which so far has been declared. Lots of scenarios out of this, like no more EL Classico.

Post #477018  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:20 am 

bromley gooner wrote:

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you bromley. Been snowed under and only catching up on the forum now before going to bed. The reports on the AGM elsewhere are detailed. But what hasn't been covered elsewhere, for obvious reasons, is what was was said in a chat I had with Gazidis after the main meeting. Two or three others were with us.

During his talks Ivan had repeatedly mentioned the importance of the club's values. I take the self-sustaining strategy as the most important of these values. So I asked him if becoming financially doped was the only way for Arsenal to win trophies, and he accepted the game was heading that way, would he rather maintain that specific value even if it meant the club never winning anything?

He said he would, which clearly reflects the Kroenke regime's attitude. So in other words, the value designed to stop Stan from having to stick his hand in his own pocket is more important than winning trophies. So if you're like me and are friendly with Chelsea fans who like boasting about their league titles, domestic cups and Champions League wins under Abramovich, we can boast about Arsenal's values, even if maintaing the biggest value means the club gets left behind in terms of trophy wins.

Unfortunately, if I did that, my Chelsea supporting friends would no doubt laugh in my face.

Post #477019  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:30 am 

Zed wrote:
Hello B,
A month ago, a few online papers said there was a possibility Barca could join the PL. They also mentioned possibility of them even joining French, German or Italian leagues. Again, that's only if the Catalan independence actually happens, which so far has been declared. Lots of scenarios out of this, like no more EL Classico.

Hi Zed. I know they did. But if Catalonia goes independent, which as I've said would surprise me, isn't it more logical for Barcelona to stay in La Liga anyway?

Post #477020  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:19 am 

I also think it's very unlikely they will get total independence and can't see Barca leaving La Liga. Are rhere imotger Catalonian teams in the Spanish league?

The tanks are a scary thought and I expect a lot of trouble depending on how the Spanish Goverment reacts. As I've said previously they will get no support from the EU as the last thing they'll want is a lot more heads at the ruling table.

Troubled times ahead for Europe.

Post #477021  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you bromley. Been snowed under and only catching up on the forum now before going to bed. The reports on the AGM elsewhere are detailed. But what hasn't been covered elsewhere, for obvious reasons, is what was was said in a chat I had with Gazidis after the main meeting. Two or three others were with us.

During his talks Ivan had repeatedly mentioned the importance of the club's values. I take the self-sustaining strategy as the most important of these values. So I asked him if becoming financially doped was the only way for Arsenal to win trophies, and he accepted the game was heading that way, would he rather maintain that specific value even if it meant the club never winning anything?

He said he would, which clearly reflects the Kroenke regime's attitude. So in other words, the value designed to stop Stan from having to stick his hand in his own pocket is more important than winning trophies. So if you're like me and are friendly with Chelsea fans who like boasting about their league titles, domestic cups and Champions League wins under Abramovich, we can boast about Arsenal's values, even if maintaing the biggest value means the club gets left behind in terms of trophy wins.

Unfortunately, if I did that, my Chelsea supporting friends would no doubt laugh in my face.

Thanks Bernard. I don't object to a self sustaining model provided the substantial profits to be made are re-invested in the playing staff.
But like you, I'm not expecting a glut of trophies any time soon under the current regime.

Post #477022  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:46 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
Hello B,

Hi Zed. I know they did. But if Catalonia goes independent, which as I've said would surprise me, isn't it more logical for Barcelona to stay in La Liga anyway?

Hi Bernard,
Oh sure staying in La Liga would make sense. But given the turn of events, it was made clear by Madrid, no way Barca would stay in La Liga, only if sessession was successful. Such a mess.

Post #477023  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:08 pm 

Both Man U and Spurs looking amateurish.

If they keep this up we will definitely get fourth.

Post #477024  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:24 pm 

rotterdamnation wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
If he got some help I am certain we could do a lot better than we are doing now and it will only take a tweek to the system that will take us to the top of the league.

Do you really really believe that? I find that naive in the extreme

For goodness sake. Has nobody worked it out yet, he's a West Ham fan trolling. The clues are there

Post #477025  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:25 pm 

Spurs away run broken by Man Utd. 1-0 scorer Martial off the bench again.

Post #477026  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:32 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Spurs away run broken by Man Utd. 1-0 scorer Martial off the bench again.

Boring game between two very conservative teams. Funny that a long punt upfield was the key moment.

Totts without Kane are a totally different outfit.

Post #477027  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:23 pm 

Swansea just scored .... :20hospitals:

Post #477028  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:26 pm 

warrior wrote:
Swansea just scored .... :20hospitals:

Swansea's first attack as well

Post #477029  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:27 pm 

Arsene's latest tactic. Give em a goal lull them into thinking they can win then slam in a couple of goals.

Wtf are they doing.................

Post #477030  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:31 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Arsene's latest tactic. Give em a goal lull them into thinking they can win then slam in a couple of goals.

Wtf are they doing.................

Haven't you been watching for the past several years mate. This is an old, tried and tested tactic.

Post #477031  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:38 pm 

35 mins in - still a goal down.

We seem to have good possession - You'd think it would be prudent to, oh I don't know, maybe take a shot on goal occasionally ?

Flappy in goal for them too. How hard is it ?

Edit - We've had one shot on target - Woops - 2 now with Alexis strike.

Post #477032  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:41 pm 

Number of passes :
Arsenal - 387
Swansea - 117

Post #477033  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:43 pm 

warrior wrote:
Number of passes :
Arsenal - 387
Swansea - 117

Majority of which are backwards or square passes. We are clueless out there.

Post #477034  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:48 pm 

Yet another in a series of crap first half performances.

Post #477035  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:48 pm 

Mertesacker nearly costs us another. Half time now: 0 - 1

Post #477036  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:08 pm 

Kolasinac !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phew, what a relief

Post #477037  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:09 pm 

1 - 1

Much better now ...

Post #477038  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:16 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Good call ! 2 - 1 now :26encouragement:

Post #477039  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:16 pm 

Ramsey !!!!!!!

Post #477040  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:41 pm 

10 mins or so left - not a very comfy lead at the mo.

[ 571916 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11923, 11924, 11925, 11926, 11927, 11928, 11929 ... 14298  Next