Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 111 guests

Post #498481  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
Arsenal and Chelsea are both only getting around 6000 tickets each for the final. Disappointingly low, although assuming I can get a flight I will be going.

Someone I know is going by train. According to him you won't have time to get on a return flight and will have to come back next day or maybe even later .

Post #498482  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:38 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
So now we can answer the question: Has Emery been better than Wenger last season?

Yes we got to the final.

Not really, if he wins the final I'd say yes but we played a fairly average Valencia in the semi's, Atletico Madrid are a much better team.

Napoli are pretty good though and we despatched them 3-0 hits comfortably

Post #498483  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:40 am 

Will Ramsey miss the final ?

Post #498484  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:10 am 

Just read that for the first time in football history, the CL (European Cup) and Europa Cup (Cup Winners Cup/UEFA cup) are all from the same country.

Coincidence or is this a testament to just how strong the EPL is?

If god forbid Chelsea wins, they are already in the top 4 presumably so we don't get a 5th club in the EPL? I don't know the rules.

Post #498485  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:19 am 

Not sure there has been a game I can recall that would feel so important to our immediately future.
Win the final and we bag a European trophy, we’re top seeds for the champions league and all the riches that come with that, we are able to attract better players, should have more money to spend in the summer and the squad players we want to keep have that belief and experience of winning things
Lose and we are back in the Europa league with all the other top 6 teams moving further and further away from us and it will be even more difficult to catch them next year

Post #498486  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:43 am 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
So if it goes to a penalty shootout we have Čech rather than Leno ?

Surely a massive mistake ?

You’ve got to pick Leno haven’t you? Pretty sure we’ll go with Čech, I felt bad for hoping he couldn’t play in the final for some reason.

I bet you he picks Čech despite him being passed it. He’s terrible at penalty’s and looks all over the place these days. Also he’s joining chelsea next year as keeper coach

Chelsea wont play their reserve keeper that’s for sure

Post #498487  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:58 am 

The ticket allocation is a disgrace.

Post #498488  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:26 am 

In the after-match euphoria, I had every intention of going to Baku but in the cold light of day, it's a daunting prospect. Unless the club(s) arrange a fleet of planes, it's extremely difficult to get there by scheduled airlines.

Bear in mind it's half-term week in the UK so there's already pressure on flights - not that there are any direct flights to Baku. Long stop-over in Istanbul seems the only option. From my admittedly limited research, given the flight and stop-over times it seems difficult to get there and back in less than a week. The cost is likely to exceed £1,000 per head.

Whilst I could get one, to buy a ticket, I'd need to confirm my travel and accommodation plans - by Monday! And then there's the visa requirements - a quick $23 a pop. And the UEFA Law Enforcement forms that need to be filled in.

The Arse, and I assume the Chavs are making a big thing of their disappointment at their respective 6,000 allocation. The Arse, and I suspect the Chavs are actively seeking increases but unless they take the initiative, and it'd probably need Governmental interventions in the UK and Azerbaijan, it's going to be a logistical nightmare delivering 12,000 (pissed-up) Brits to Baku on a Wednesday night.

Nah. Few years ago maybe but this Final goes into the 'too difficult' file for me.

Post #498489  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:37 am 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6J4of5XoAEOi4t.jpg

Post #498490  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
You might want think again about that one https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48220247

Bloody Nora. The capacity of Baku Stadium is some 70k. So with the two clubs taking only 12k between them, 58k will go to other sources.

Mrs Kiwi ..... bless her little cotton socks .... when I ran it passed her ......
Mrs " where's Baku ... ?
Me ........ all Cool Hand Luke ; I was pretty damn sharp on geography in the day .........Azerbaijan
Mrs .... where's that ..?
Me .... near Turkey it's an old Soviet republic ... on the Caspian Sea
Mrs .... why would they have a final there ..?
Me ................ :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Post #498491  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:31 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Bloody Nora. The capacity of Baku Stadium is some 70k. So with the two clubs taking only 12k between them, 58k will go to other sources.

Mrs Kiwi ..... bless her little cotton socks .... when I ran it passed her ......
Mrs " where's Baku ... ?
Me ........ all Cool Hand Luke ; I was pretty damn sharp on geography in the day .........Azerbaijan

One of the joys of the Europa league in visiting such places. Apparently it is quite a nice place.

Post #498492  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:51 am 

Here is a good news story -Gazidis and AC Milan for Mustafi. Article probably written by an Arsenal fan trying to will it to happen.

https://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/a ... tafi-99202

Post #498493  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:07 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Here is a good news story -Gazidis and AC Milan for Mustafi. Article probably written by an Arsenal fan trying to will it to happen.

£20m??? That’s a bargain. I would increase our offer to at least £30m to ensure they take him off our hands.

Post #498494  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:23 am 

Darren wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

£20m??? That’s a bargain. I would increase our offer to at least £30m to ensure they take him off our hands.

Don't you mean 30mil and 1

Post #498495  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:32 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:

Remember Pascal on the left wing. Was it against Bolton or Blackburn in a cup match?

No it was v man united at home! And we were leading

He subbed pires for pascal on the left que Louis Saha equaliser !!

Enough of this 2019 Europa League final nonsense, and back to the issue of the day. Actually, I think the great 'Cygan on the wing' experiment began a week before the Saha match. As Wirral suggested, it was against Bolton that Arsene - for the first time - quietly replaced Pires with the tonsorially-challenged Gaul to help secure the three points, which he did. Excellent substitution, dude! Try it again next week against United? Why not?

Post #498496  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:40 am 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

One of the joys of the Europa league in visiting such places. Apparently it is quite a nice place.

I'm hanging on to my $$$$ until they hold it Luderitz ...... always had a hankering to visit that place .

Post #498497  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:23 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

So Ivan Gazidis wants to sign Mustafi for the second time in his career

:laughing7:

Frickin sado masochist

Post #498498  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:40 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No it was v man united at home! And we were leading

He subbed pires for pascal on the left que Louis Saha equaliser !!

Enough of this 2019 Europa League final nonsense, and back to the issue of the day. Actually, I think the great 'Cygan on the wing' experiment began a week before the Saha match. As Wirral suggested, it was against Bolton that Arsene - for the first time - quietly replaced Pires with the tonsorially-challenged Gaul to help secure the three points, which he did. Excellent substitution, dude! Try it again next week against United? Why not?

:42laughter:

Post #498499  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:04 pm 

Players with more passes in the final third than Özil:

Parejo 27
Wass 21
Gaya 16
Coquelin 15
Guedes 14
Piccini 13
Gameiro 12
Kola 10
Xhaka 10
Lacazette 9 (attempted more)
Özil 9

Post #498500  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:04 pm 

Although Liverpool is home, I think they have the tougher match. The 'anything can happen' disclaimer applies obviously.

I recall when a few of us advocated going for Klopp, his last season at Dortmund and his first season or two at Liverpool was used as a stick to beat the Klopp for Arsenal view on here. I won't name names. :42laughter:

However, it could argued he may not have been able to do as well with us because of the budget restrictions.

One of my biggest fears is that we are becoming seen as as club you go to on the way to a top club. We can still get good players, even great players but if they have a fantastic season or two, they can easily be swayed to leave. Much easier than in yesteryears.

Post #498501  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

So Ivan Gazidis wants to sign Mustafi for the second time in his career

:laughing7:

Frickin sado masochist

He owes us a minimum bid of £25m.

Post #498502  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:10 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I recall when a few of us advocated going for Klopp, his last season at Dortmund and his first season or two at Liverpool was used as a stick to beat the Klopp for Arsenal view on here. I won't name names. :42laughter:

However, it could argued he may not have been able to do as well with us because of the budget restrictions.

Klopp has a net spend far less than Arsenal in his time as Liverpool manager. He hit the jackpot with the Coutinho sale but if Klopp was appointed by Arsenal when he was appointed by Liverpool I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever we would be in a massively healthier position than we are right now.
How many of Wenger's signings in his last 3 years would have been made by klopp?

Post #498503  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:25 pm 

Random observation. I'm watching a show on Netflix, The Society, and the HS name is West Ham HS. An American show. I wouldn't be surprised is someone British snuck that in.

Post #498504  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:05 pm 

Just watched the trailer for the Maradona movie. Looks brilliant, fitting that such a great player should have his life documented in film.

Post #498505  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:54 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Players with more passes in the final third than Özil:

Parejo 27
Wass 21
Gaya 16
Coquelin 15
Guedes 14
Piccini 13
Gameiro 12
Kola 10
Xhaka 10
Lacazette 9 (attempted more)
Özil 9

I was quite impressed by Coquelin. He made some tackles but also hit a few decent long range passes.

Post #498506  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:06 pm 

It is an absolute farce that we are facing the possibility of Mkhitaryan not being able to play the Europa league final because UEFA (or whoever) cannot guarantee his safety!
That should have been the single reason not to award the final to Azerbaijan. Whether it applies to 1 potential player or 1000 it shouldn’t matter. How can uefa reward countries like this?

Also uefa have justified only giving 6000 tickets to arsenal and Chelsea because it would not be responsible to allocate any more given the difficulty and distance the fans have to travel! Unbelievable

Post #498507  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
It is an absolute farce that we are facing the possibility of Mkhitaryan not being able to play the Europa league final because UEFA (or whoever) cannot guarantee his safety!
That should have been the single reason not to award the final to Azerbaijan. Whether it applies to 1 potential player or 1000 it shouldn’t matter. How can uefa reward countries like this?
Also uefa have justified only giving 6000 tickets to arsenal and Chelsea because it would not be responsible to allocate any more given the difficulty and distance the fans have to travel! Unbelievable

Rich, UEFA is assisting Mhiki in obtaining a visa. Whether this comes about is left to be seen.

Post #498508  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Arsenal and Chelsea are both only getting around 6000 tickets each for the final. Disappointingly low, although assuming I can get a flight I will be going.

Hi B,
Or you can thumb your way across or stow away on a freight train. :angel8:

Post #498509  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:31 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
It's painfully obvious we are a lazy team. We want European nights and play well in European matches but we don't want to do what it takes to get in the competition. The squad wants CL football. Every footballer does, but this squad doesn't want to do the heavy lifting to get there.

There was no sense of urgency in the last 4 matches. CL football in their hands. They determined their own future and didn't show up. They only showed up for the European matches.

Even if we win the final, I won't think of this squad as deserving.

For all 3 posts, you have my condolences.

Post #498510  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Mrs " where's Baku ... ?

Nice. Azerbaijan sounds more Iranian than Russian. Cute little buffer country with Baku right on the Caspian Sea. Quite a mix of languages, people. Idyllic...hmmm.

Post #498511  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:09 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Respect Bern.

Serious respect, actually.

Post #498512  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 pm 

Zed wrote:
Rich wrote:

Rich, UEFA is assisting Mhiki in obtaining a visa. Whether this comes about is left to be seen.

As they should. But just don’t give major sporting events to countries that ban other nations entering their country. Russia and Qatar should never have been awarded the World Cup either- but then a big brown paper bag goes a long way with fifa and uefa

Post #498513  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:49 pm 

Oh by the way, as to that 6K limited allocation to fans...whether Uefa chose that allocation prior to who the winners were, can only be speculated. Given that, Uefa hierarchy thought having less hoardes of English hooligans trampling through Baku is more desirable. Yet, would same allocation applied had teams been Spanish, Italian and/or French? Would Uefa felt safer dealing with bombarding Italian Ultras or vibrant Catalans maybe? Be interesting to see if said fan ticket allocation would be closer to 15-20K had this been different countries in the final.
Just a thought.

Post #498514  Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:55 pm 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:

As they should. But just don’t give major sporting events to countries that ban other nations entering their country. Russia and Qatar should never have been awarded the World Cup either- but then a big brown paper bag goes a long way with fifa and uefa

No Uefa shouldn't allow countries as hosts given human rights violations or or other discriminatory practices. But, yes a bribe of questionable denomination goes a long way.

Post #498515  Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:16 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Amazing if true. Wonder if they would be interested in Özil and Mkhitaryan as well.

Post #498516  Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:44 am 

Raoila has been banned from any transfer dealings for 3 months. He’s Mkhitaryan ‘s agent. He’s also pogba and De Ligt agent as well. They either sack Raiola or they won’t be going anywhere this summer

Post #498517  Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:47 am 

Zed wrote:
Rich wrote:

No Uefa shouldn't allow countries as hosts given human rights violations or or other discriminatory practices. But, yes a bribe of questionable denomination goes a long way.

It's not a black & white issue. Armenia and Azerbaijan have been in conflict for a hundred years and there was armed hostilities between the two in the last decade. That's not to say that there are not question marks over its governing in terms of human rights and suppression of journalists. But Azerbaijan is not a globally ostracised country and neither is it as oppressive as say Qatar or Saudi Arabia. You could rule out a huge amount of countries on the basis of questionable treatment of citizens or potentially corrupt governments, including most of South America. Politics and sport is not a great mix.

Post #498518  Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:29 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I would advise you to lay of the rum and the Fox News, Kiwi. As we age, we need to keep our brains, like our livers, off the piss.

Well little Decaf if you get your rocks off watching Ratchel Maddow , Whoopi Goldberg and Don Lemon and the rest of the half wits on CNN who am I to criticise .

I agree that what Trump calls 'the fake news' do bang on a bit. I'm sure the people who warned against Hitler in the 1930s got boring and repetitive too. Wht the Mueller report is so important is that Trump unless checked is going to do a massive amount of damage. His middle Eastern policy is mad. He tore up Obama's accord with Iran and now is threatening war because they are doing what they had agreed not to under the accord.

Post #498519  Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:39 pm 

dec wrote:
Zed wrote:

It's not a black & white issue. Armenia and Azerbaijan have been in conflict for a hundred years and there was armed hostilities between the two in the last decade. That's not to say that there are not question marks over its governing in terms of human rights and suppression of journalists. But Azerbaijan is not a globally ostracised country and neither is it as oppressive as say Qatar or Saudi Arabia. You could rule out a huge amount of countries on the basis of questionable treatment of citizens or potentially corrupt governments, including most of South America. Politics and sport is not a great mix.

Cheers Dec. Azerbaijan is considered quite safe for visitors. Therefore, no, it's not as oppressive as Quatar or Saudi Arabia. The anti-Armenian sentiment or Armenophobia, due to an ethnic territorial conflict over the Nagorno-Karabahk region in southwestern Azerbaijan. The war in that region was from 1988-1994. Being also over 96% of the Azerbaijan population is basically Muslim. There's no place for political influence in sports, but unfortunately it works itself in.

Post #498520  Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:46 pm 

Danny Welbeck in full training. If Mkhitaryan can’t play in the final would you have Welbeck on the bench as a plan b for 15 mins if required?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12460, 12461, 12462, 12463, 12464, 12465, 12466 ... 14269  Next