Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gaz from Oz and 98 guests

Post #476961  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:28 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Lucky Arsenal tonight. Elneny couldn't have complained if sent off, even if it was a bit of an orange one, and while the Norwich guy was desperately looking for it, that was the kind of call that 50% of the time refs give - the contact was high, even if not much force.

Have to say, though we got lucky with the ref tonight, between him and linesmen, the officials had a bad night tonight.

Walcott stunk the place out, but 3 of the several times he was given offside were wrong, once, clean through. Very pleased for Nketiah. A kid let go by Chelsea, he's certainly been a premier poacher at lower levels. The kid just has a nose for goal. Not sure about his all round game, but he always gets a chance because his anticipation is fantastic.

Elneny was awful tonight. Holding and Debuchy (until the late pen shout) were pretty good. Le Coq's use of the ball was shocking, but his energy was important. Jack suffered somewhat from being identified clearly by both line-ups as the only creative outlet, so Norwich just man marked him. AMN did ok out of position. Nelson isn't physically ready for this level really, but technically is. Not remotely a wing back though. Thought DaSilva did well when he came on. Iwobi tried hard but nothing really came off.

We've got a buffoon for a manager, lome. Nketiah dug him out of yet another hole of his own making.

Post #476962  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:42 pm 

Man City beat wolves 4-1 on penalties after a 0-0 draw. Lots of City first 11 players involved tonight

Post #476963  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:52 pm 

socrates wrote:
lomekian wrote:
Lucky Arsenal tonight. Elneny couldn't have complained if sent off, even if it was a bit of an orange one, and while the Norwich guy was desperately looking for it, that was the kind of call that 50% of the time refs give - the contact was high, even if not much force.

Have to say, though we got lucky with the ref tonight, between him and linesmen, the officials had a bad night tonight.

Walcott stunk the place out, but 3 of the several times he was given offside were wrong, once, clean through. Very pleased for Nketiah. A kid let go by Chelsea, he's certainly been a premier poacher at lower levels. The kid just has a nose for goal. Not sure about his all round game, but he always gets a chance because his anticipation is fantastic.

Elneny was awful tonight. Holding and Debuchy (until the late pen shout) were pretty good. Le Coq's use of the ball was shocking, but his energy was important. Jack suffered somewhat from being identified clearly by both line-ups as the only creative outlet, so Norwich just man marked him. AMN did ok out of position. Nelson isn't physically ready for this level really, but technically is. Not remotely a wing back though. Thought DaSilva did well when he came on. Iwobi tried hard but nothing really came off.

We've got a buffoon for a manager, lome. Nketiah dug him out of yet another hole of his own making.

Right on with that. I said part way through the game that it was basically wenger rounding up anyone who was fit and didn't start v Everton and shoe horned them in to a formation, irrespective of whether that made a suitable and cohesive team. I think we played that entire game with at least half of the players on the pitch in positions that are unnatural to them. Even Nketiah and Akpom had to come on as wide forwards. I think Walcott ended up at right back!

totally bailed out by an 18 year old and a couple of set pieces - ironic considering how woeful our set pieces are usually.

In the first half I thought having Elneny able to step comfortably out of defence was a bonus against a team where we have 75% of the ball, It would have helped for the rest of the central midfield to have some better shape - defensively though he was caught out with a direct ball or a counter attack. I wouldn't dig elneny out too much because he's not a CB, he is doing a job for the team there, in reality he is about 8th choice CB in the first team.

Post #476964  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:44 pm 

It is tough for young strikers to break through when teams play 1 up top. A lot of physical strength, back to goal play and intelligent running is required. Young strikers often found their place in one of the wider positions in a 4-3-3 where they can use their raw pace and they have more space to go 1v1.

With the 5 at the back the two forwards in support of the striker are tucked inside as creative players, the width coming from the full backs. I think this formation doesn’t help the breakthrough of talented young attacking players because there is a huge burden on them to provide goals and assists. It is also a formation that Walcott can’t find a place in at all....which says more about walcotts ability and flexibility than the formation.

5 at the back suits us in some respects but If the youth are going to be given a chance I’d like to see them in their preferred positions, Nelson further forward or wide left and mainland miles in central mid.

Post #476965  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Are you serious?

Coquelin, Giroud.

You think you can win the league with those 2 in your starting line up. ?

Only if they are in support roles. But we will not win, with them in key roles.

Post #476966  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:19 am 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I'm not criticising. Let's give bubblechris an award or something for being as stupid as Wenger.

again with the insults you little schoolboy. There is only one stupid child I know on this forum tht wants us to play without Giroud, and that is the dumbest *%^@ up of all. Need I remind you how many goals Giroud has scored for us. Goals that were in many cases invaluable.

Does anybody else think that Giroud is a waste of space?

Giroud cannot carry the team to victory like established players we used to have, TH14, RVP. He will score goals with good support all round. But he does not have it in him to carry the team when we need a leader or a game changer. Not a criticism, just stating a fact of his abilities. I would not say he is a waste of space, he does deserve some place in the team. My view of him has changed from being utterly critical to accepting that he tries as hard as the next player. I was utterly critical when he chose to whince and play-act previously, when he loses the ball.

Post #476967  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:29 am 

Let's hope Wenger gives Eddie some game time in the EPL. Perhaps to come on in the last 10 minutes when we have a 2 goal cushion. Same goes for Nelson and Niles. If Wenger wants to save the cash for Kroenke, he has got to test his younger players more aggressively. Although, I preferred he spent the money with top class additions.

Post #476968  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:56 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Coquelin, Giroud.

You think you can win the league with those 2 in your starting line up. ?

As you say they are not starters. Lacazete is your starter as CF and Xhaka in the Coq role. As back ups they are great. The problem is that Xhaka who cost a fortune is terrible and has made numerous mistakes.

For forwards Wellbeck is also a back up but despite people on him ranking him as very good he never plays and is terrible in front of goal.

Post #476969  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:00 am 

Now if this happens the club may become interesting.
http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/25/arsenal-a ... r-7025326/

Post #476970  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:49 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

It says he played a key role 'convincing' Alexis to sign for Barca from Udinese. Not the biggest ask - I reckon I could have done that.

Post #476971  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:25 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

It says he played a key role 'convincing' Alexis to sign for Barca from Udinese. Not the biggest ask - I reckon I could have done that.

Yes, but could Dick Law?

Post #476972  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:06 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Let's hope Wenger gives Eddie some game time in the EPL. Perhaps to come on in the last 10 minutes when we have a 2 goal cushion.

Or when we're one goal behind ! :icon_razz:

Post #476973  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:11 am 

I added Eddies name to the 'swear' filter - so if you type the letters 'N' and 'K' together, you'll get : Nketiah

Post #476974  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:59 am 

socrates wrote:
I'm not one for overhyping players but Nketiah is already better than Henry.

Not to worry Soc, he'll go out to loan at Wolves, Charlton and Bolton before being sold so some championship side and he'll be out of your hair for good. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #476975  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:21 pm 

Of the three domestic trophies Wenger has never won the league cup because he has never really respected the competition. The final against Chelsea was one of the rare times. He's always used it to blood youngsters and playing time for first teamers who haven't seen much action. That said, we all got to enjoy seeing some of the young players some of us (those of us who don't live in England) only heard about.

Last night was one of those times where our lack of respect for the competition almost cost us. I'd like to win it because I've never seen us hold up that trophy. I think it will be harder to win with so many good sides in the EPL and it may be the only trophy that very good sides can win this season. I won't pass up the FA Cup to win this one though...I want as many FA cups as possible.

Maybe easy but which club has won the most league cups? No googling.

Post #476976  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
That looked like a penalty for Norwich. Debuchy with definite clumsy contact. Walcott have the ball away.

Norwich have been angry all game claiming arsenal have had the rub of the green for decisions. That is the only contentious one. I think it was a pen on first viewing

It is a clear penalty. We got really lucky.

Post #476977  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:10 pm 

What's happened to Jeff Reine-Adelaide? He was meant to be the next big thing but have hardly seen him in the last year.

Post #476978  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:12 pm 

socrates wrote:
Eddie.....Eddie.......Eddie :laughing7:

Fox in the box!!

Post #476979  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:18 pm 

Nketiah
http://www.caughtoffside.com/2017/10/25 ... ah-talent/

Post #476980  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:19 pm 

Draytonkid wrote:
socrates wrote:
Eddie.....Eddie.......Eddie :laughing7:

Fox in the box!!

So he is the 2nd coming of Francis Jeffers? :icon_mrgreen1:

Post #476981  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:50 pm 

Sabir wrote:
What's happened to Jeff Reine-Adelaide? He was meant to be the next big thing but have hardly seen him in the last year.

And what about the promising Japanese, Takuma Asano? Takuma is already an established international player. Another failed Asian experiment?

Post #476982  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:25 pm 

Sabir wrote:

I believe the Jeff is injured.

Post #476983  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:27 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Sabir wrote:

And what about the promising Japanese, Takuma Asano? Takuma is already an established international player. Another failed Asian experiment?

Isn't he on loan somewhere in lower league Germany?

Post #476984  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:34 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

As you say they are not starters. Lacazete is your starter as CF and Xhaka in the Coq role. As back ups they are great. The problem is that Xhaka who cost a fortune is terrible and has made numerous mistakes.

For forwards Wellbeck is also a back up but despite people on him ranking him as very good he never plays and is terrible in front of goal.

Yep

This is the reality. If you remove the sentiment

Post #476985  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:36 pm 

Draytonkid wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Asano is at Stuttgart in the Bundesliga, getting some game time, mainly from the bench. I don't think he qualifies for a work permit in the UK yet, though I might be wrong.

Post #476986  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:40 pm 

socrates wrote:
I'm not one for overhyping players but Nketiah is already better than Henry.

:1laughter:

I loved it the way he gave it the proper big un after scoring. Imagine being that young again and scoring 2 goals for arsenal

Post #476987  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:46 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Draytonkid wrote:

Asano is at Stuttgart in the Bundesliga, getting some game time, mainly from the bench. I don't think he qualifies for a work permit in the UK yet, though I might be wrong.

Sounds like another Joel Campbell situation

Post #476988  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:51 pm 

So when do we make a decision about whether Wilshere gets a new deal? And when that time comes, does he get a deal?

He's had some encouraging performances in the minor cup comps but it still very very early days. I think we have to protect the investment but it should be a 2-3 year deal not a 5 year deal.

Post #476989  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:25 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Sounds like another Joel Campbell situation

Yes, very much so. Be very surprising if he makes it at Arsenal.

Post #476990  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:33 pm 

Rich wrote:
So when do we make a decision about whether Wilshere gets a new deal? And when that time comes, does he get a deal?

He's had some encouraging performances in the minor cup comps but it still very very early days. I think we have to protect the investment but it should be a 2-3 year deal not a 5 year deal.

Is there an element of nostalgia going on with Jack ?.

I mean I've always rated him but if you can't do it for bournmouth then surely not Arsenal

Post #476991  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:44 pm 

Spurs were 2-0 up at home to West Ham......now they are 3-2 down. 3 mins left

Post #476992  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:14 pm 

Rich wrote:

That was funny because West Ham were terrible.

I like Bilic. I bet he'd be a great guy to go for a few pints with.

Post #476993  Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
Pocchetino - the game is passing him by...

Post #476994  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:13 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Draytonkid wrote:

He is starting games regularly in Stuttgart, and substituted regularly too. We always get caught up with work permit issues. Campbell, Silva (I think that's his name, the Brazilian) and now Asano.

Post #476995  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:54 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:
Pocchetino - the game is passing him by...

f**&&^%$# the football ...... this guy died https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skif1gGacew RIP

Post #476996  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:41 am 

Konkers say we are hopeful of keeping both our wantaway stars...................

Post #476997  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:30 am 

Uncovering another potential star I believ AW deserves some congratulations for the majority of his work as our manager.

I have always said it was his tactical nous that let him down and have always hoped he's take on someone to assist with this. Unfortunately it appears he's too pig headed to accept that he does have a fault.

If he got some help I am certain we could do a lot better than we are doing now and it will only take a tweek to the system that will take us to the top of the league.

Post #476998  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:02 am 

bubblechris wrote:
If he got some help I am certain we could do a lot better than we are doing now and it will only take a tweek to the system that will take us to the top of the league.

Do you really really believe that? I find that naive in the extreme

Post #476999  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:59 am 

I'd accept optimistic but not naive. at least you held back on the childish comments. Not long ago the same was said of my belief that we'd end up at Xmas ahead of Chelsea, I stand by it. are you man enough to disagree?

Apart from his questionable transfer policies. If you were manager do you seriously think you'd do better? His obvious errors on tactics, apart sometimes substitution's, are his only fault as far as I can see.

Fergie would not have been so successful had he not had such good number two's year after year. If AW took the same approach I do not think we would have had such a run of titleless seasons.

Post #477000  Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:39 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
I'd accept optimistic but not naive. at least you held back on the childish comments. Not long ago the same was said of my belief that we'd end up at Xmas ahead of Chelsea, I stand by it. are you man enough to disagree?

Apart from his questionable transfer policies. If you were manager do you seriously think you'd do better? His obvious errors on tactics, apart sometimes substitution's, are his only fault as far as I can see.

Fergie would not have been so successful had he not had such good number two's year after year. If AW took the same approach I do not think we would have had such a run of titleless seasons.

If I was manager of Arsenal for 20 years I would certainly not keep doing the same thing time and again when it has proven not to work for the last 13 years.

[ 571641 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11922, 11923, 11924, 11925, 11926, 11927, 11928 ... 14292  Next