Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 102 guests

Post #519881  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:58 am 

I'm willing to wager a decent amount that Stan has no idea where we are in the table and even if he did, he is not nearly as concerned as some would think an owner should.

Post #519882  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:02 am 

Rich wrote:
With everyone fit I'd like to see a front 6 set up as
..........Partey........
.......AMN - Saka.......
Pépé - Aubameyang - Martinelli

Parety holding the fort, AMN and Saka as to No.8's going forward. Bags of pace and excitement in that team.

I echo that. As long as Xhaka, Willian and Ceballos are absent from the team, I echo it 100%

Post #519883  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:08 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Might have a point

Xhaka is playing behind the centre backs at the moment :laughing7:
Any further back and he would in the stands.

Ceballos has revolutionised football by creating a deputy right back position where he just chases Bellerin round the pitch by running into the same space. :laughing7:

The Ceballos and Xhaka average positioning is very strange. A 1-5-1-3 formation? with Xhaka behind the CB's and 2 right backs

Xhaka very often runs into the penalty box whenever we are being attacked. I would expect him to regularly be just outside our penalty box to pick up the loose attacking midfielders (Toreira almost always does this for us, and with grit). Was that through Arteta's coaching or simply his lack of awareness? A top class DM would take a quick glance and move to positions to prevent any easy passage towards our goal. Be it in taking on the marauding player, or the be near some loose player most likely to receive the ball.

I believe he is a very nice guy and probably one of the leaders outside of the field. But, not good enough in play.

Post #519884  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:09 am 

Another thing is our present position in the table has pretty much (as far as I can tell) barely raised an eyebrow on neutral fans. Were we Man Utd, Tottenham, Chelsea and even go as far to say Leicester or Everton, it may garner more news.

People know we are not only s**t right now, they aren't surprised at how bad it is.

Post #519885  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:26 am 

I think we will turn it around. We aren't too bad defensively, which was a problem in the past. The attack is a big concern at the moment and we have the players who can score and/or create.

I've made no secret of the fact I think Martinelli will be a huge star. I hope the injury hasn't hurt his progress as it can some players who never really recover sometimes. I felt similarly about RvP initially.

Anyway, any resurgence for us I think needs to include Saka as a starter. I'd love to see a Partey/AMN midfield. Or a set up eventually where we have Partey has a box to box player. Which would mean another, more defensively minded center mid possibly. A settled and solid central defense is a must. We are either going to wait for Saliba or make another purchase and he and Saliba can battle for that spot once Saliba is deemed first team PL ready.

Post #519886  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:23 am 

gooner7 wrote:

6 points and an improvement of at least +5 on GD

I'd take two scrappy 1-0's in our next two home games

Post #519887  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:26 am 

Some rumours of Özil leaving in January, either to Turkey or DC United. I can't see it personally - but its only 6 months until he has to consider leaving London or retiring to stay in London so he might as well consider a move now. Frankly ridiculous that him going in January would put £9m back in the bank. If you also manage to convince Sokratis and Mustafi to go 6 months before the end of their deals there is another £5m saved for the next 6 months.

Post #519888  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:56 am 

Appointing Arteta was always a huge gamble. He had never managed a professional team before and whilst I am sure the experience of working alongside Guardiola was invaluable in preparing him for his first steps in management I can't help but feel that Arsenal was too big a job too soon.

When he was appointed my heart told me it was an exciting appointment but my head told me that his lack of experience and any kind of track record was an issue and the chances were it wouldn't work.

I hope I am wrong but in my opinion the signs are that he is a little out of his depth, and understandably so.

Post #519889  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:47 am 

socrates wrote:
Appointing Arteta was always a huge gamble. He had never managed a professional team before and whilst I am sure the experience of working alongside Guardiola was invaluable in preparing him for his first steps in management I can't help but feel that Arsenal was too big a job too soon. When he was appointed my heart told me it was an exciting appointment but my head told me that his lack of experience and any kind of track record was an issue and the chances were it wouldn't work.
I hope I am wrong but in my opinion the signs are that he is a little out of his depth, and understandably so.
I know what you mean, but he seems confident enough and hopefully a few wins will disperse the gloom. Managers have to start their careers somewhere, and it may be Arsenal is too big a job. His character seems right for the club - it may be his decision-making needs more work.

Looking back the club has had some very successful bosses with no previous formal management experience - Allison, Whittaker and Mee most notably - but also some "failures" such as Jack Crayston and Billy Wright. Easy to forget too that Arsene was hugely underrated by many when appointed.

Interesting months ahead.

Post #519890  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:02 am 

Note to Season Ticket Holders who have credit in their accounts to cover the games missed - THE CASHBACK WINDOW IS OPEN. I think it closes at 17:00 today.

I got several calls from the Club on Monday so I did it yesterday. It's worth doing. I'm told this is the last opportunity to claim back this money.

Post #519891  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:34 am 

DHD wrote:
Note to Season Ticket Holders who have credit in their accounts to cover the games missed - THE CASHBACK WINDOW IS OPEN. I think it closes at 17:00 today.

I got several calls from the Club on Monday so I did it yesterday. It's worth doing. I'm told this is the last opportunity to claim back this money.

I haven’t had any calls from Arsenal this week and no emails apart from one saying I didn’t get one in the ballot for the Burnley game. What is the cash back window? Never heard of it.

Post #519892  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:51 am 

socrates wrote:
Appointing Arteta was always a huge gamble. He had never managed a professional team before and whilst I am sure the experience of working alongside Guardiola was invaluable in preparing him for his first steps in management I can't help but feel that Arsenal was too big a job too soon.

When he was appointed my heart told me it was an exciting appointment but my head told me that his lack of experience and any kind of track record was an issue and the chances were it wouldn't work.

By rights anyone who takes on a big club management role should have some previous experience. Most successful managers start at lower league teams and build up their reputation and skillset. In recent times there seems to be a promote one of the old boys as they know about the club. Not sure it is the way to go.

Post #519893  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:24 am 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

By rights anyone who takes on a big club management role should have some previous experience. Most successful managers start at lower league teams and build up their reputation and skillset. In recent times there seems to be a promote one of the old boys as they know about the club. Not sure it is the way to go.

You say that but Liverpool always would promote from within back in the day. Same with Barca, Guardiola was a rookie manager. I believe Zindane's frist management role was the Real job.

Post #519894  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:29 am 

socrates wrote:

Wenger (too old)
Emery ( bad English and too defensive)
Ljungberg (too inexperienced )
Arteta (too young)

I reckon if we sack Arteta and appoint Allegri we revert back to moaning about broken English again. Yessss

Post #519895  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:49 am 

Darren wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

You say that but Liverpool always would promote from within back in the day. Same with Barca, Guardiola was a rookie manager. I believe Zindane's frist management role was the Real job.

Also from the sounds of things Arteta was nailed on to be Guardiolas eventual successor at city hence their anger when we got him.

Post #519896  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:15 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Wenger (too old)
Arteta (too young)

I reckon if we sack Arteta and appoint Allegri we revert back to moaning about broken English again. Yessss

Interesting that after officially leaving to develop or enhance his managerial career, Ljungberg is still unemployed. As I said at the time, I was told he was sacked. If that’s right, at least Arteta has done something right.

Post #519897  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Wenger (too old)
Arteta (too young)

I think Nagelsmann at Leipzig will go on to get a big job soon. Remarkably he's still only 33 years old but has managed 200 games for Hoffenheim and now Leipzig. If you don't know him or his managerial style then this is a decent read.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/artic ... rb-leipzig

".....has been a clear playing style with both sides playing with a high tempo both in and out of possession. They attack vertically through quick forward passes and press aggressively when out of possession"

"These rotations enable the key concept that we see from Nagelsmann. That is verticality in possession. This simply means that the ball will not be cycled from side to side aimlessly along the defensive line. Instead, for each receiving player, there is one clear priority and that is to look to play forward."

Post #519898  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

I haven’t had any calls from Arsenal this week and no emails apart from one saying I didn’t get one in the ballot for the Burnley game. What is the cash back window? Never heard of it.

Check Arsenal.com Bern. Log in and hit the 'My Account' tab (top right) then check under the Account Cashback tab.

In my case, I'd sold a few tickets through the Exchange plus there were rebates to cover the games we couldn't attend at the back end of last season. Came to over £3k for my four.

Post #519899  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Wenger (too old)
Arteta (too young)

Interesting that after officially leaving to develop or enhance his managerial career, Ljungberg is still unemployed. As I said at the time, I was told he was sacked. If that’s right, at least Arteta has done something right.

He only had the job temporarily though right he was never a realistic long term option. I just don’t see him as a manager personality wise the whole shebang.

The rumour was he had lost it with the senior players Mesut Özil in particular (funny that)

Post #519900  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:04 pm 

I do get the feeling some of our managers have thrown their toys out of the pram with certain players possibly and not followed the Alex Ferguson trick of still playing playing them, let them think they’ve won whilst making a mental note “your gone the first chance I get sunshine”

Post #519901  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:25 pm 

DHD wrote:
Check Arsenal.com Bern. Log in and hit the 'My Account' tab (top right) then check under the Account Cashback tab.

In my case, I'd sold a few tickets through the Exchange plus there were rebates to cover the games we couldn't attend at the back end of last season. Came to over £3k for my four.

Thanks. I was always intending to just wait and when the times comes to actually pay hard cash for renewing season tickets, to get the money for games missed under the ‘closed doors’ policy to be knocked off then. I’m assuming that can still be done, can’t it?

Post #519902  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He only had the job temporarily though right he was never a realistic long term option. I just don’t see him as a manager personality wise the whole shebang.

The rumour was he had lost it with the senior players Mesut Özil in particular (funny that)

Ljungberg never seemed the eight fit, although by all accounts he did some good work with the younger players. I don't mind him losing it with the senior players - at least he can say it from a position where it knows what it takes to be part of an absolute elite team

Post #519903  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:13 pm 

I just tried to get the remaining balance back on my season tickets but the message says it cant do it right now.

Post #519904  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:02 pm 

FabrizioRomano (bit of a transfer guru) on Szoboszlai: "We will have Szoboszlai's decision by the next week. Leipzig would be the easiest solution because they are in the same family with Red Bull. Milan are always in contact. Arsenal have also been in contact for many years"

I'm pretty sure he'll go to Leipzig. He'll be sold for double his 25 million release clause in under 4 years is my prediction

Post #519905  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ljungberg never seemed the eight fit

You mean he wears size nine shoes?

Post #519906  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:00 pm 

So Klopp complains about fixture congestions and then plays Salah, Jota and Fabinho in a dead rubber last game of the champions league group. They have already won the group no matter the result tonight

Post #519907  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:35 pm 

Bored wrote:
I just tried to get the remaining balance back on my season tickets but the message says it cant do it right now.

Like Bern, I was going to leave the the balance of the season ticket money but there was several hundred quid's worth of Exchange ticket sales that I'd rather have in my pocket than theirs. They told me I couldn't have one lot of ackers without the other. I always find the Arse.com website counter-intuitive so I just followed their advice - still took an age to complete the processes plus phone calls when the system gummed up.

Post #519908  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:14 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bored wrote:

Like Bern, I was going to leave the the balance of the season ticket money but there was several hundred quid's worth of Exchange ticket sales that I'd rather have in my pocket than theirs. They told me I couldn't have one lot of ackers without the other. I always find the Arse.com website counter-intuitive so I just followed their advice - still took an age to complete the processes plus phone calls when the system gummed up.

I’ve never had anything to do with the Ticket Exchange Scheme. So I guess that’s why they didn’t contact me.

Post #519909  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:47 pm 

Seriously Arteta....stated the obvious.

“We need to score goals. If not, it's unsustainable,” Arteta bemoaned in the aftermath of the north London derby defeat. “It doesn't matter what we do in the other departments on the pitch, if we don't score goals, we can do nothing. 

“So, we need to put the ball in the net, urgently.

Opta stats show that Arsenal have fashioned just 65 chances in the Premier League this season – the fewest of any of the teams in the English top flight.

Then get creative Mikel.

Post #519910  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:59 pm 

Darren wrote:

Barca and Real are exceptions.

Post #519911  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:18 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Darren wrote:

Barca and Real are exceptions.

Why? Juve appointed Pirlo as manager this year and he had even less experience than Arteta.

Post #519912  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:44 pm 

Kenny Dalglish won trophies as a player manager clearly that never happened either so must be another exception

Post #519913  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:02 pm 

The current Bayern Munich manager's only previous management experience was in the third tier of German football, in the early 2000s. He won everything with Bayern last year.

Lampard had one moderately successful year at Derby before being given the Chelsea job. Gerrard had no experience before starting at Rangers and after a tricky start has them top of the league.

I think it's fair to say that experience can be of benefit to a manager taking on a role at a big club but it isn't essential. Emery had plenty of experience but couldn't get these players performing. Sacking Arteta would be a mistake, we can't replace him with and Allegri/Pochettino because Arsenal don't have the squad to compete now and aren't willing/able to spend enough to compete in their first season.

Post #519914  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:20 pm 

The following teams have dropped down from the champions league in to the last 32 knock out round of Europa

SEEDED
Manchester United
Club Brugge
Shakhtar Donetsk
Ajax

UNSEEDED
Krasnodar
FC Salzburg
Dynamo Kiev
Olympiakos

If we can get our act together we should be amongst the favourites alongside the 3 other English teams, Man U, spurs, Leicester and the 3 Italian teams Roma, Milan, napoli

Post #519915  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Kenny Dalglish won trophies as a player manager clearly that never happened either so must be another exception

Liverpool were already a dominant force, Dalglish was surrounded by an experienced backroom/bootroom staff and had topclass players. I am not saying he wasn't a talented manager but you hardly needed to be a Brian Clough miracle worker to keep winning trophies with that side.

Post #519916  Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:38 pm 

Ben wrote:
The current Bayern Munich manager's only previous management experience was in the third tier of German football, in the early 2000s. He won everything with Bayern last year.

Lampard had one moderately successful year at Derby before being given the Chelsea job. Gerrard had no experience before starting at Rangers and after a tricky start has them top of the league.

I think it's fair to say that experience can be of benefit to a manager taking on a role at a big club but it isn't essential. Emery had plenty of experience but couldn't get these players performing. Sacking Arteta would be a mistake, we can't replace him with and Allegri/Pochettino because Arsenal don't have the squad to compete now and aren't willing/able to spend enough to compete in their first season.

Hi Ben,

The PL is a tough place to cut your teeth in management. Over the years how many top PL teams have appointed a manager who has never managed before, ever? I can't think of too many. Giggs on a temporary basis if I recall, Shearer temporary, Ljungberg temporary to name a few. Mainly temporary ones, though, until a manager with some experience could be found.

It may not be so much of a risk if you are already a top side with a great set-up and backroom staff and oodles of money to spend but its a tough ask for a rookie with zero managerial experience to rebuild the shambles that is currently AFC.

Post #519917  Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:57 am 

I recall cries for Henry and Vieira to come back to manage the club at one time and I had to think, maybe its nostalgia. Neither had much management experience. I had a touch of that wanting Adams back at one time. But he was in a coaching role. And our defense was shot at that time.

For now, I am sticking with Arteta. It may have been best if he managed another club prior but he was highly respected by one of the best managers (Pep). That's a huge endorsement. Also, he knew the club as well.

Lastly, I was very surprised at Mourinho's tactics. Not sure what percentage of it was respect for Arteta or managerial nous where he sussed us out fairly simply.

Post #519918  Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:47 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Liverpool were already a dominant force, Dalglish was surrounded by an experienced backroom/bootroom staff and had topclass players. I am not saying he wasn't a talented manager but you hardly needed to be a Brian Clough miracle worker to keep winning trophies with that side.

He won 3 league titles, and 2 fa cups!!

Wenger couldn't retain one league title after any title he won. What on Earth are you talking about

Post #519919  Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:00 am 

Even George was only 42 when he got the job and he had only managed in the championship.

Remember Frank Rijkaard was 36 with no experience when he took Netherlands to a major semi then went to Barca of all places. Neil Lennon had no experience when he took the reins at Celtic and had success.

There’s silliness then there’s this.

Post #519920  Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:32 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

He won 3 league titles, and 2 fa cups!!

Wenger couldn't retain one league title after any title he won. What on Earth are you talking about

As I said, Liverpool were the dominant force in english football at the time, arguably the best run club in the country with an excellent squad and a vastly experienced backroom team to support him and the money and pulling power to recruit the best players in the country. Dalglish was also still an excellent player and enjoyed massive respect as Liverpool's greatest ever player.

Not really that much of a surprise that he did well.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12995, 12996, 12997, 12998, 12999, 13000, 13001 ... 14269  Next