Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 110 guests

Post #500641  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:10 pm 

Ceballos loan confirmed. On paper a very good short term arrangement.

Tierney next?

Post #500642  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:34 pm 

Goonie wrote:

It is for many reasons, most notably it should allow us to make other signings. As someone remarked on twitter, we simply don't have the cash to address all the problems in the team (and there are plenty of them) and when you think of it like that you can see the logic.

Still can't help feeling it's indicative of how far we have fallen as a club that we have to loan players without even an option to buy. However, hopefully it is a means to an end which increases the quality in the squad whilst still providing a small possibility that he could end up staying if he does well and likes it here.

Post #500643  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:01 pm 

Saliba announced. 2 in 1 day.

Post #500644  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:30 pm 

Goonie wrote:

Tierney next?

Saw this class comment

Quote:
Well done negotiators! And you still have 41m please Ceballos someone else!

Post #500645  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:32 pm 

Also this:

He only came because he wanted that sexy kit. He’ll be back next year if the next one is as good.

Post #500646  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:47 pm 

socrates wrote:
Goonie wrote:

It is for many reasons, most notably it should allow us to make other signings. As someone remarked on twitter, we simply don't have the cash to address all the problems in the team (and there are plenty of them) and when you think of it like that you can see the logic.

Still can't help feeling it's indicative of how far we have fallen as a club that we have to loan players without even an option to buy. However, hopefully it is a means to an end which increases the quality in the squad whilst still providing a small possibility that he could end up staying if he does well and likes it here.

It’s likely how we were able to ‘one-up’ Spuds, Real probably offere them a loan as well. I’m sure they’d be interested in him permanently but not on loan, but we are. And you’re right it does show where we are atm. All the same, it feels positive.

Post #500647  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:55 pm 

We're walking a fine line this summer. I actually really like the profile of all the players we've been strongly linked with this summer; all are at a good age, have qualities we lack and cover positions where we need to strengthen. But newspaper links obviously isn't enough, we need to actually make the signings as well.

With Saliba and Ceballos done I expect us to get Tierney as well, we've gone to far into that one to not get it over the line. If we can add a winger to that - and I don't really care if it's Zaha or Everton as both would be exciting signings - I would consider it a good summer haul. Solve the Koscielny situation and replace him with a CB who'll play for us now and it's an excellent transfer window on paper. With those 4-5 signings we would basically have signed 8-9 proper first team players post-Wenger.

Lots to do still in just two weeks, and very few excuses not to get it done so it's really crunch time for the new regime. They don't exactly have much leeway with the fans.

Post #500648  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:08 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
We're walking a fine line this summer. I actually really like the profile of all the players we've been strongly linked with this summer; all are at a good age, have qualities we lack and cover positions where we need to strengthen. But newspaper links obviously isn't enough, we need to actually make the signings as well.

With Saliba and Ceballos done I expect us to get Tierney as well, we've gone to far into that one to not get it over the line. If we can add a winger to that - and I don't really care if it's Zaha or Everton as both would be exciting signings - I would consider it a good summer haul. Solve the Koscielny situation and replace him with a CB who'll play for us now and it's an excellent transfer window on paper. With those 4-5 signings we would basically have signed 8-9 proper first team players post-Wenger.

Lots to do still in just two weeks, and very few excuses not to get it done so it's really crunch time for the new regime. They don't exactly have much leeway with the fans.

Hey Haz,

Nice to see you back on the board.

You're right.........a great, good, average or poor window are all still on the table depending how these next two weeks pan out.

My gut is that it will be Tierney and maybe a defender on loan.

Post #500649  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:24 pm 

There is a video of Özil getting car jacked in Golders Green today, what the car jackers didn’t bank on was Kolasinac getting out of the car and fighting them off! The Tank went for them!

Post #500650  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:34 pm 

socrates wrote:
Hey Haz,

Nice to see you back on the board.

Thanks socrates, things got really depressing on the Arsenal front at the end of last season so I skipped a lot of it and did other things instead. Just started looking around a bit at the silly season talk this week and have to say I feel a bit encouraged by our current approach and think the new regime might just need a little bit of time. The players we're after show that they're trying to build for the future, but at the same time most of them should be able to come in and improve us immediately.

Then again it might all just be my optimism talking. I will watch the start of the season with interest at least.

Post #500651  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:36 pm 

Also, I watched a highlight reel of Saliba, and while I think it's pretty much 100% impossible to judge someone's defensive ability on a youtube compilation it was very interesting to see how comfortable on the ball he seemed to be. Has an eye for a pass as well. Combine that with an athletic 6ft4 frame, and you pretty much have the ideal central defender profile on paper. Easy to see why top clubs were after him.

Post #500652  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:59 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Also, I watched a highlight reel of Saliba, and while I think it's pretty much 100% impossible to judge someone's defensive ability on a youtube compilation it was very interesting to see how comfortable on the ball he seemed to be. Has an eye for a pass as well. Combine that with an athletic 6ft4 frame, and you pretty much have the ideal central defender profile on paper. Easy to see why top clubs were after him.

Everyone is after the Van Dijk style CB. Imperious in the air, comfortable on the ball both short and long, strong, pacey and positionally great.

Post #500653  Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
There is a video of Özil getting car jacked in Golders Green today, what the car jackers didn’t bank on was Kolasinac getting out of the car and fighting them off! The Tank went for them!

Hope Kola is ok. The video I saw showed the car being driven away... surely Özil didn't abandon him?
:8surprise:

Post #500654  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:59 am 

Finally, some more confirmed signings. We are better positioned for the future than years back. Hope Emery can get them to play brilliant football.

Post #500655  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:33 am 

Rich wrote:

Kudos to the Tank, brave hero!

Post #500656  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:27 am 

If we stopped where we are now it has been a very bad transfer window considering what we have now vs what we needed.
Čech, Lichtsteiner, Welbeck, Ramsey, Koscielny OUT
Martinelli, Cellabos, Nelson, Martinez IN
Undoubtedly we are weaker

A great window would require us to sign
Tierney, a CB, one of Zaha/Everton and a right back and for us to get rid of some of the deadwood (jenkinson, Elneny) is like to see us raise funds by selling Mustafi and Chambers but given the lack of bodies in defence I can see both staying

Even then I still think we’d be missing a CB and a really dominant CM

Post #500657  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:04 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Kudos to the Tank, brave hero!

Scary stuff to be happening on the streets of London - that could have ended very badly.
Kolasinac wasn't having it though, was he? :53big-emoticons:

Post #500658  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:34 am 

https://www.football365.com/news/saliba ... aha-affair

How is this idiot still given air time? Arsenal spend £25m on a high quality 18 year old who had every big club after him means that they MUST be able to afford the £80m Palace want for Zaha.
And saying he's "every bit as good as Mahrez" is nonsense. Mahrez won the title, was star player and player of the year for a club not much bigger than Palace at the time they won the title......and he's just won the African Cup of Nations with 3 goals in the tournament.

Also I really don't understand the massive uproar from all quarters over Arsenal's pursuit of Zaha. We bid what we think he's worth, palace declined. That can keep happening until either we walk away or Palace accept. Both parties have the right to bid and decline. £40m isn't exactly ridiculously low. It is like no-one has heard of the idea of negotiation. Why on earth would Arsenal or any club go straight in and match the asking price for a player if they believed that asking price was too much? The only reason you do it is to secure a transfer quickly if you have competition (there doesn't seem to be many other clubs hunting zaha) or if you have infinite money that it makes no difference

Also, if Palace are trying to get more because of the sell-on fee of 20% to Man U then it is Palace who are over inflating his worth rather than Arsenal underbidding. The sell on clause is nothing to do with Arsenal, that is the bed that Palace made for themselves. So if Palace want £80m then they must value Zaha at only £64m as that is all they will get from an £80m deal.

Post #500659  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:47 am 

Villa going for it in the transfer market. Exciting times for them and their fans. £115m spent (NET) Makes a bit of a mockery of our lack of spending.

Wesley £22.50m
Tyrone Mings £20.07m
Douglas Luiz £15.12m
Matt Targett £14.04m
Ezri Konsa £11.97m
Trezeguet £9.00m
Anwar El Ghazi £8.10m
Björn Engels £7.20m
Jota £4.05m
Kortney Hause W £3.06m

Post #500660  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:48 am 

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.3968181

Here is the clip. Top lad.

Post #500661  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:58 am 

Rich wrote:
Villa going for it in the transfer market. Exciting times for them and their fans. £115m spent (NET) Makes a bit of a mockery of our lack of spending.

Wesley £22.50m
Tyrone Mings £20.07m
Douglas Luiz £15.12m
Matt Targett £14.04m
Ezri Konsa £11.97m
Trezeguet £9.00m
Anwar El Ghazi £8.10m
Björn Engels £7.20m
Jota £4.05m
Kortney Hause W £3.06m

Bit Fulham-y with so many new players.. apart from Mings who was with them already. Imagine signing 10 players!

Post #500662  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:48 am 

Ash wrote:

Wesley £22.50m
Tyrone Mings £20.07m
Douglas Luiz £15.12m
Matt Targett £14.04m
Ezri Konsa £11.97m
Trezeguet £9.00m
Anwar El Ghazi £8.10m
Björn Engels £7.20m
Jota £4.05m
Kortney Hause W £3.06m

Bit Fulham-y with so many new players.. apart from Mings who was with them already. Imagine signing 10 players![/quote]

I can Imagine the first day of training and they are all sitting in a circle with name tags on

Post #500663  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:52 am 

If Kolasinac doesn’t become a cult hero now he never will.
He needs a chant about chasing off knife wielding car jackers once he thought they were Sperz fans

Post #500664  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:04 am 

Bored wrote:
He needs a chant about chasing off knife wielding car jackers once he thought they were Sperz fans

I’m not a fan of the Khan bashing the Tories and trump are doing about violence in the capital but when I saw that video I just thought *%^@*** hell there’s issues there that need to be solved. Knife wielding moped gangs driving around Golders Green looking for anything of value to take. The police need to get a grip.

Kolasinac just earned a new contract in my eyes. That’s the stuff of folklore, he can get caught out of position as many times as he wants this year.

Post #500665  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:26 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bored wrote:

I’m not a fan of the Khan bashing the Tories and trump are doing about violence in the capital but when I saw that video I just thought *%^@*** hell there’s issues there that need to be solved. Knife wielding moped gangs driving around Golders Green looking for anything of value to take. The police need to get a grip.

Kolasinac just earned a new contract in my eyes. That’s the stuff of folklore, he can get caught out of position as many times as he wants this year.

How do we feel about Emery making noises about making Kola ‘better at LB’? Recovery pace and care of the ball are the things that spring to mind. Tell him the opposing winger just said his mum’s tea is like dishwater?

Post #500666  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:33 am 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49109629

Gareth Bale: Why did Real Madrid fall out of love with the forward?

Post #500667  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:24 am 

If it's true we are paying over £15m to Madrid (£3m+ in wages plus £12m loan fee) for Ceballos with no option to buy then that it is just ridiculous.

I had been supportive of the loan move until I read that. I had assumed we'd cover his wages and perhaps pay a small loan fee, after all we are developing their player for them.

I suspect the Spuds sensibly baulked at paying this for a loanee rather than him choosing us over them.

Post #500668  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.football365.com/news/saliba-deal-shows-arsenal-not-playing-properly-in-zaha-affair

How is this idiot still given air time? Arsenal spend £25m on a high quality 18 year old who had every big club after him means that they MUST be able to afford the £80m Palace want for Zaha.
And saying he's "every bit as good as Mahrez" is nonsense. Mahrez won the title, was star player and player of the year for a club not much bigger than Palace at the time they won the title......and he's just won the African Cup of Nations with 3 goals in the tournament.

Also I really don't understand the massive uproar from all quarters over Arsenal's pursuit of Zaha. We bid what we think he's worth, palace declined. That can keep happening until either we walk away or Palace accept. Both parties have the right to bid and decline. £40m isn't exactly ridiculously low. It is like no-one has heard of the idea of negotiation. Why on earth would Arsenal or any club go straight in and match the asking price for a player if they believed that asking price was too much? The only reason you do it is to secure a transfer quickly if you have competition (there doesn't seem to be many other clubs hunting zaha) or if you have infinite money that it makes no difference

Also, if Palace are trying to get more because of the sell-on fee of 20% to Man U then it is Palace who are over inflating his worth rather than Arsenal underbidding. The sell on clause is nothing to do with Arsenal, that is the bed that Palace made for themselves. So if Palace want £80m then they must value Zaha at only £64m as that is all they will get from an £80m deal.

With you on that one. Zaha just isn't that good or worth what they're asking so no point in overpaying. We have enough overpriced duds in the team already and being a bit stingy may pay dividends for negotiation in future years. In saying that I want a bloody CB and want us to pay whatever it takes to get him. :)

Post #500669  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:18 pm 

socrates wrote:
If it's true we are paying over £15m to Madrid (£3m+ in wages plus £12m loan fee) for Ceballos with no option to buy then that it is just ridiculous.

I had been supportive of the loan move until I read that. I had assumed we'd cover his wages and perhaps pay a small loan fee, after all we are developing their player for them.

I suspect the Spuds sensibly baulked at paying this for a loanee rather than him choosing us over them.

Agreed. We're paying mega bucks for a totally ineffective Özil so decide to compound that by paying mega bucks for an guy who will likely play in a similar position. If that is true then we are idiots.

Or is he more of a replacement for Xhaka perhaps. And Ramsey. Wonder what he wanted per year.

Post #500670  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:19 pm 

socrates wrote:

Didn't that report originate from The Sun though? I assumed they were making it up, because it does sound like too much money for a loan.

It's an interesting signing in any case. I watched a little of the U21 Euros, and he really was a standout player. Remember seeing him in the final and thinking there's no way we're getting him. Not sure there's no way we can sign him permanently next summer too, he's about to turn 23 so it's not like he's a youngster who needs to develop. You have to figure that if Real Madrid really rated him they'd keep him around now.

Then again Real Madrid is not the most predictable of clubs, and chances are they've changed managers three times before the season ends so who the hell knows.

Post #500671  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:24 pm 

Soc, would it be worth it if we get top 4 and he was instrumental in that happening? I agree with you about the terms of the loan. Its a risk but at this point, I'm desperate to bring in any quality, by any means necessary.

Post #500672  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:31 pm 

Ash wrote:
How do we feel about Emery making noises about making Kola ‘better at LB’? Recovery pace and care of the ball are the things that spring to mind. Tell him the opposing winger just said his mum’s tea is like dishwater?

If we do sign Tierney I wonder what will happen to Kola and Monreal. They'll be 2nd/3rd choice LB presumably. Would Kola be the back up and Monreal just hang around the squad and knock up the odd game at CB in a 3 or LB in the cups?

Would seem strange to have 3 fit and healthy left-backs but not a single right-back until Bellerin is fit. AMN and Chambers can play there but neither have convinced

Post #500673  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36 pm 

socrates wrote:

I can't imagine that figure is right. £3m in wages is only £57k per week - would he be on that little at Real Madrid.

I can imagine the year deal costing us £10m maybe. And adding the wages in to the cost of the loan deal is slightly misleading because if we signed a permanent player then we would still have to account for a years worth of wages.

Post #500674  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:56 pm 

Alderweireld's £25m buy-out clause has now expired, meaning he'll likely stay at Spurs this season - but it is the last year of his deal so he could go on a free next summer. As we know to our cost, Spurs would probably have been better off if someone came in and paid the £25m for him. He'll be on a free at 31, surely he'll be eyeing up a final big 4 year contract at a top European club.

Post #500675  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:23 pm 

socrates wrote:

Why do you only believe the press stories that are negative about the club?
The chances of the press having any details about the loan deal are likely to be between zero and 3/5ths of bugger all
Only yesterday morning, they were saying the deal was likely to be off.....

Post #500676  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:40 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

The chances of the press having any details about the loan deal are likely to be between zero and 3/5ths of bugger all

Hodd, what's your take on Zech Medley and how ready (or not) he is for a bit of first team action?

Post #500677  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 pm 

Niall wrote:
After a week where an Irishman lifted both the cricket world cup and the Open trophies, great to see Ireland are on course for another spectacular result at Lords today.

Dear oh dear - I guess you are feeling a little silly now :42laughter: :15laughter:

Post #500678  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:43 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

I read that in the sun, the loan payment as quoted by them was €4M which would see him being paid £200k+ a week. It’s complete nonsense and doesn’t stack up.

Edit: just re-read the first 6 words of what I wrote, it was an online article, I didn’t actually pick up or *gag* pay for a copy. And I also certainly didn’t follow a trashy link under the story..... :sad1:

Post #500679  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:45 pm 

It seems Kolasinac is a pretty good defender?

Post #500680  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:47 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
Niall wrote:
After a week where an Irishman lifted both the cricket world cup and the Open trophies, great to see Ireland are on course for another spectacular result at Lords today.

Dear oh dear - I guess you are feeling a little silly now :42laughter: :15laughter:
Be fair, it was a spectacular result at Lords today.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12514, 12515, 12516, 12517, 12518, 12519, 12520 ... 14269  Next