Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 42 guests

Post #501321  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:11 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
dec wrote:
Three points and a clean sheet. AMN, Willock and Aubameyang the standout performers for me. Substitutions were odd. Willock was playing well and Ceballos really struggled. Giving a Brazilian teenager his debut in the rain at Newcastle??? Pépé did ok with one superb feint and turn.

Yeah seemed more like a "get em on the pitch" than anything tactical or useful. Thankfully Newcastle didn't seem too interested. Ref was as always shite. A blatant shirt tug in the first half, as professional a foul as you could see didn't even get a yellow while Arsenal were pinged for the most minor of infractions. Special mention to Mikhitaryan who I though was utter garbage but strangely think he'll get better after a couple of matches. Lazy b****** though.

Heh. Mkhitaryan is a weird player. I said it to my son during the game. He has very good technique and is capable of excellence and utter shite within 30 seconds. Lovely run through the middle with a brilliant change of direction followed up with an apalling pass.

Post #501322  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:23 pm 

dec wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Yeah seemed more like a "get em on the pitch" than anything tactical or useful. Thankfully Newcastle didn't seem too interested. Ref was as always shite. A blatant shirt tug in the first half, as professional a foul as you could see didn't even get a yellow while Arsenal were pinged for the most minor of infractions. Special mention to Mikhitaryan who I though was utter garbage but strangely think he'll get better after a couple of matches. Lazy b****** though.

Heh. Mkhitaryan is a weird player. I said it to my son during the game. He has very good technique and is capable of excellence and utter shite within 30 seconds. Lovely run through the middle with a brilliant change of direction followed up with an apalling pass.

Just saw a stat saying he lost the ball 15 times in the first half. He’s infuriating, he seems to have some decent aspects of technique but has little composure and doesn’t drive forward anywhere near enough. Like you say he’s weird, there’s a decent player in there somewhere but he just gets it all wrong and is in danger of reaching Mustafi levels of frustration

Post #501323  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:38 pm 

Have to look back and apologise to Emery his decision was perfect and brilliantly made for the good of the team.

Perfect start and had the newbies made an impact wuld have been super perfect. Trust in the youth till they settle will be my pov in future.

Post #501324  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:49 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

Just saw a stat saying he lost the ball 15 times in the first half. He’s infuriating, he seems to have some decent aspects of technique but has little composure and doesn’t drive forward anywhere near enough. Like you say he’s weird, there’s a decent player in there somewhere but he just gets it all wrong and is in danger of reaching Mustafi levels of frustration

I never really saw him at Dortmund, and we tried to sign him off the back of that form, but I suspect we’re seeing this later, older version of him where maybe he’s lost a little bit of what made him the player he was.

Post #501325  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:53 pm 

3 points, clean sheet, young Gunners did well especially Willock, new signings had a run-out, and Aubameyang gets a goal!

Positive start to the season. Forget the negatives for now, enjoy the victory!

Post #501326  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:57 pm 

Mkhitaryan was very poor in the first half but much better in the second. Didn’t think Nelson and Willock did as well as some of you. I thought Xhaka was quite good but for me our best player was Guendouzi. Plays with such intelligence, picking the right pass so often.

Post #501327  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:59 pm 

Chelsea could struggle this year.

Haven’t replaced Hazard and look weak at the back.

Post #501328  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Mkhitaryan was very poor in the first half but much better in the second. Didn’t think Nelson and Willock did as well as some of you. I thought Xhaka was quite good but for me our best player was Guendouzi. Plays with such intelligence, picking the right pass so often.

I thought Willock, Chambers and Maitland niles all played well but thought Nelson was poor actually. He didn’t take on his full back and didn’t really distribute it well.

I didn’t really think much of Xhaka or Guendozis performances to be honest. Their passing was largely sideways with little through balls so Aubameyang got little service at all. I don’t think they are a good pair in the middle of the park as they don’t drive forward anywhere near enough

Post #501329  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I agree. I’ll be surprised if the top four aren’t, in whatever order: City, Liverpool, Tottenham and Arsenal. I see Chelsea and Manchester United as the next two after that, again in whatever order.

Post #501330  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:12 pm 

3 points are 3 points, anyway we can get it.

Post #501331  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:

I thought Xhaka was typical Xhaka, complete with dopey booking. For me Guendouzi was only ok. He can be quite lazy at tracking back which you would hope he will grow out of.

Post #501332  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:46 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I thought Xhaka was typical Xhaka, complete with dopey booking. For me Guendouzi was only ok. He can be quite lazy at tracking back which you would hope he will grow out of.

I’m surprised you only think Guendouzi was ok. For me he was much better.

Post #501333  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:55 pm 

Chelsea falling apart. Central defence rubbish. Which is kind of ironic really.

Post #501334  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:57 pm 

I can't wait till we have less use for Xhaka. I'm also sure Emery can't wait to sell Mkhitaryan. It's painfully obvious why he never settled in at Man Utd. I'm encouraged my Willock and AMN. I think with minutes on the pitch, they will improve considerably.

When everyone is healthy, we will be a decent side. Good enough to nick a top 4 if we stay healthy and Emery does his part with tactics...and if one of the rivals for top 4 have a bad season.

Post #501335  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:58 pm 

Lumpard having a tough first match. Great pass from Pogba for Man Utd's 3rd goal.

Post #501336  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:01 pm 

Whilst they are thrashing chelsea I don’t think united look up to much either.

Neither team seems to have a dynamic attack. I wouldn’t be intimidated by playing either of those 2.

Post #501337  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

I’m surprised you only think Guendouzi was ok. For me he was much better.

It was a hard game to assess how a lot of players did I thought. I was most disappointed with Ceballos really but then away to Newcastle in the rain on a slippery pitch where the home team are closing down hard perhaps makes for a scrappy game.

Post #501338  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:10 pm 

Ash wrote:
It was a hard game to assess how a lot of players did I thought. I was most disappointed with Ceballos really but then away to Newcastle in the rain on a slippery pitch where the home team are closing down hard perhaps makes for a scrappy game.

I was most pleased that we saw it out comfortably without any of those brain farts that have littered our performances for absolutely ages.

Post #501339  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Neither team seems to have a dynamic attack. I wouldn’t be intimidated by playing either of those 2.

Just seen Utd's 4th. You sure about that...

Post #501340  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:14 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:

I was most pleased that we saw it out comfortably without any of those brain farts that have littered our performances for absolutely ages.

Yeah that was something new and different for us! :laughing7:

Post #501341  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:20 pm 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yes 100%, I don’t think they look very impressive at all. They are less worse than Chelsea simply. This is not the united of old.

Post #501342  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:

Yes 100%, I don’t think they look very impressive at all. They are less worse than Chelsea simply. This is not the united of old.

Chelsea look like us in the first two fixtures last season. Hard to say how decent Utd’s performance is but I’d put it between promising and good. I don’t think they need to be the Utd of old to challenge for top 4 which is what will affect us. I hope you’re right.

Post #501343  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:27 pm 

Chelsea in the bottom 3 :21encouragement:

Post #501344  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:26 pm 

Maybe Chelsea were missing their defensive leader

Post #501345  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:36 pm 

Happy with any away win, however they come. Prem away wins really will be gold dust in the chase for the top 4. We won’t make any headlines for that but that is fine.
Also we could probably put out an 11 of injured and benched players that is possibly stronger than the starting 11. Potentially our entire first choice back 4 didn’t play
Martinez
Bellerin, Holding, Luiz, Tierney
Torreira, cellabos
Pépé, Özil, Kolasinac
Lacazette

Post #501346  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:28 pm 

Ash wrote:

I agree about Ceballos. I thought he was really sloppy in possession. But the possible reasons you give are believable so I won’t write him off as another Suarez yet.

Post #501347  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:23 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Kiwi, something to gladden the heart. Bathurst and Roos

https://youtu.be/awwQC-32R2k

Thanks for that ..... may already mentioned it ..... son and I were returning from a job ; late one night from way out in the Wop Wops of Oz .... bloody kangaroos were leaping across the road every few minutes ,

we stopped and waited for a B train to come through then got right up his backside and let him bounce the f*&***%^$ away .

Never saw the match got a bit lubed last night ...good result .

Been doing a bit of artwork myself of late ; illustrating a kid's book I'm doing for a son .

What are you doing watercolours or oils ?

Post #501348  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Yeah my heart bleeds for them. Lampard out.

Post #501349  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:42 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Kiwi, something to gladden the heart. Bathurst and Roos

https://youtu.be/awwQC-32R2k

Thanks for that ..... may already mentioned it ..... son and I were returning from a job ; late one night from way out in the Wop Wops of Oz .... bloody kangaroos were leaping across the road every few minutes ,

we stopped and waited for a B train to come through then got right up his backside and let him bounce the f*&***%^$ away .

Never saw the match got a bit lubed last night ...good result .

Been doing a bit of artwork myself of late ; illustrating a kid's book I'm doing for a son .

What are you doing watercolours or oils ?

Good win given the circumstances last night.

Oils by preference as you can make a mistake and fix it later - sometimes months later. A couple from the recent Lord Howe trip.

Attachments:

Post #501350  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:43 pm 

Another which I like better than the first

Attachments:

Post #501351  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:07 am 

Are those your works, Gaz? Very nice.

Post #501352  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:12 am 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

I agree about Ceballos. I thought he was really sloppy in possession. But the possible reasons you give are believable so I won’t write him off as another Suarez yet.

I could only listen in the radio but the comma kept describing Cellabos as ‘near and tidy’

Post #501353  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:32 am 

Just some thoughts about the game...

- I think Mkhitaryan was trying too hard... a run of games with things going his way especially in terms of goals and assists should help his confidence. But he may not have that luxury with Özil, Lacazette and Pépé all competing for spots in our front four.

- we still don't get the ball into the final third fast enough. 2 shots on target (total 8 shots only) when we had more than 60% possession is quite miserable...

- I was surprised at how easily Lascelles lost Aubameyang for the two shots on target we had. Thought he was one of the better young defenders in EPL.

Post #501354  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:10 am 

After watching the game yesterday, just wondering if Luiz would be be better for the team by playing in Zhakas place, as Papa and Chambers looked quite solid, he would give them protection and would be able to get forward more and support the attack with his long range passing and shooting and he's good at free kicks.

Post #501355  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:57 am 

Draytonkid wrote:
After watching the game yesterday, just wondering if Luiz would be be better for the team by playing in Zhakas place, as Papa and Chambers looked quite solid, he would give them protection and would be able to get forward more and support the attack with his long range passing and shooting and he's good at free kicks.

Morning Dray,

I do wonder if we might eventually end up playing with a back three, with Luiz as the sort of quarterback able to ping the ball around and start attacks from deep. That would allow Kierney and Bellerin to bomb forward.

Post #501356  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:01 am 

Goonie wrote:
Just some thoughts about the game...

- I think Mkhitaryan was trying too hard... a run of games with things going his way especially in terms of goals and assists should help his confidence. But he may not have that luxury with Özil, Lacazette and Pépé all competing for spots in our front four.

- we still don't get the ball into the final third fast enough. 2 shots on target (total 8 shots only) when we had more than 60% possession is quite miserable...

- I was surprised at how easily Lascelles lost Aubameyang for the two shots on target we had. Thought he was one of the better young defenders in EPL.

Morning Goonie,

I think the lack of threat in the final third despite the large amount possession is the biggest reason we bought Pépé. We need to be turning that 60% possession into more attempts on goal and chances.

Post #501357  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:05 am 

Not pretty yesterday, but three good points in the bag. I thought Emery was proven right with his team selection when Ceballos and Pépé came on, because it’s obvious they’re a bit behind the others in terms of match fitness. The need a week or two at least to get back into it, but both showed some promise.

Thought Guendozi and Xhaka bossed the midfield, particularly in the second half. The entire back four was really good, special mention to Maitland-Niles for a great assist, and Monreal who I thought looked like his rock solid old self. Mkhitaryan had one of those days where nothing went his way, but he’s always involved and no matter how much fans want to see the back of him he’s miles ahead of Nelson at the moment. Willock had a good first half but ran out of gas early in the second.

Think it’ll take some time before we get the best out of this team, so it’s important to get the points whichever way we can until then.

Post #501358  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:11 am 

Rich wrote:

Their decision to sell him seem even stranger after yesterday. Rudiger is their only central defender I rate, Christensen is mediocre and Zouma is just a disaster. Luiz would start every single game for them.

Overall I can’t see Chelsea and United finishing above us. Pogba is the best midfielder in the league on his day, and Rashford and Martial are quality too, but behind them United has nothing. Think our squad is miles ahead of both of them. Our bench yesterday was really strong and we were still missing Özil, Bellerin, Tierney, Kolasinac and Holding.

Post #501359  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:16 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

Their decision to sell him seem even stranger after yesterday. Rudiger is their only central defender I rate, Christensen is mediocre and Zouma is just a disaster. Luiz would start every single game for them.

Overall I can’t see Chelsea and United finishing above us. Pogba is the best midfielder in the league on his day, and Rashford and Martial are quality too, but behind them United has nothing. Think our squad is miles ahead of both of them. Our bench yesterday was really strong and we were still missing Özil, Bellerin, Tierney, Kolasinac and Holding.

Yes, this season is a really big opportunity to get back in the top 4. Chelsea and Man U with very inexperienced managers.
Also with City still facing a possible champions league ban, 5th place may get champions league

Post #501360  Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:34 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Not pretty yesterday, but three good points in the bag. I thought Emery was proven right with his team selection when Ceballos and Pépé came on, because it’s obvious they’re a bit behind the others in terms of match fitness. The need a week or two at least to get back into it, but both showed some promise.

Thought Guendozi and Xhaka bossed the midfield, particularly in the second half. The entire back four was really good, special mention to Maitland-Niles for a great assist, and Monreal who I thought looked like his rock solid old self. Mkhitaryan had one of those days where nothing went his way, but he’s always involved and no matter how much fans want to see the back of him he’s miles ahead of Nelson at the moment. Willock had a good first half but ran out of gas early in the second.

Think it’ll take some time before we get the best out of this team, so it’s important to get the points whichever way we can until then.

I thought Nelson was quite bright yesterday. You can see he has excellent technical ability, its just whether he can turn good positions and situations into a quality final ball or a shot on goal. That's where he needs to develop his game.

Willock was very promising, too, until he ran out of steam as you said.

As a lot of forumites have already said, Mika is a curious mix of great, mediocre and awful, often in the space of the same phase of play. One minute he's bursting forward past several challenges with a surging run and then he *%^@* up an easy pass.

AMN always has some really excellent moments going forward but I still feel he is vulnerable defensively, essentially because he's not a natural defender and doesn't have that instinctive defensive awareness.

[ 570665 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12531, 12532, 12533, 12534, 12535, 12536, 12537 ... 14267  Next