Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 91 guests

Post #524841  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:28 am 

This is in the telegraph.
Arsenal are called divers and softies and Burnley and Dyche are encouraged to give Arsenal ‘a good shoeing’
This sort of thing confirms the unconscious bias that circulates in football and will be in referees minds.
I would love to have a prem season refereed by foreign refs. Every team is still subjected to the same set of rules and the same set of refs but I do think we’d benefit massively.

Attachments:

Post #524842  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:59 am 

warrior wrote:
International womens day today.

It was meant to be yesterday but they were all still getting ready.

:laughing7:

Post #524843  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:53 am 

warrior wrote:

I think you need to borrow AG's avatar.

Post #524844  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:24 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Not just jumping on you here, but I'm not sure why this line of thinking has caught on to the extent that it has. I know we were eighth last season and our league position doesn't look much better this time around, but last season Everton were 12th and West Ham were 16th. We regularly finish around 15 points ahead of Everton and 20-30 ahead of West Ham, surely it takes more than one season before they can be considered to be on our level?

Well said Hazuki. Teams like West Ham tend to have the odd decent season. One swallow doesn't a summer make.

I also fail to understand why some people are so pessimistic about our squad, or the prospect of improving it this summer.

West Ham have won nothing for over 40 years. Everton last won a trophy 26 years ago. We last won a trophy 6 months ago.

Yeah they are both going to finish above Arsenal this season. Fair play, they're both having good seasons. But seriously mate, get a grip. Long term we have been and will be on another level to them.

Post #524845  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:40 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
warrior wrote:

I think you need to borrow AG's avatar.

Post #524846  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:45 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
We continue to pay CL wages when we are at Westham and Everton levels.

Not just jumping on you here, but I'm not sure why this line of thinking has caught on to the extent that it has. I know we were eighth last season and our league position doesn't look much better this time around, but last season Everton were 12th and West Ham were 16th. We regularly finish around 15 points ahead of Everton and 20-30 ahead of West Ham, surely it takes more than one season before they can be considered to be on our level?

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/payroll/
This is the premier league annual wages. We've trimmed a fair bit off recently and have more to come off.
Everton are interesting in that they are £45m behind us on annual wages but I would have thought our commercial revenue balances that out irrespective of whether we're in the CL or not. On Everton as well, I have no idea how they have afforded the last 3 or so years of spending when there is nothing in their finances or success to suggest that spend is sustainable or in line with FFP

Post #524847  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:57 pm 

I think if we are going to have any hope of being top 6 or 7 we have to play our best people and have them play consistently. Sounds until you see our line up at times. Don't know why Martinelli can't get minutes. Xhaka must be a helluva practice player. I won't accept Saliba isn't good enough to be part of the squad on Artetas say so. I like Arteta a lot, but I'm simply not going to take his word for it regarding Saliba. Said with the understanding Mikel has forgotten more football that I'll know but logic and reason forces me to question that decision.

On paper if you look at the whole squad, its not a bad squad. Tactics, belief and the right substitutions can get us there but as we all know its easier said than done.

Post #524848  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal are called divers and softies and Burnley and Dyche are encouraged to give Arsenal ‘a good shoeing’
This sort of thing confirms the unconscious bias that circulates in football and will be in referees minds.
I would love to have a prem season refereed by foreign refs. Every team is still subjected to the same set of rules and the same set of refs but I do think we’d benefit massively.

If they selected an all English team it would be bad enough. But since they don't it is breathtakingly self-delusional Trumpish nonsense.

Post #524849  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:11 pm 

Looking at our financial figures again there is one sponsorship deal that looks particularly poor.
Our deal with Emirates from 2014-19 was for £30m a season
Our new deal with Emirates from 2019 to 2024 is for £40m a season and doesn't allow us to have a training kit sponsor (something that nets some teams £10-15m a season) So we really haven't increased our base level commercial income in this respect since 2014 as we've essentially stayed on the same £30m a year deal and thrown in £10m for training kit.

Compared to the kit manufacturer deal where we went from £30m a season for Puma (2014-19) and raised this to £60m a season for Adidas (2019-24) Which does looks like a deal that was pushed to the maximum.

For context Man U bring in £25m more every season from JUST their shirt sponsor. Of course with the largest fan base in the world you can expect it to be more but that is a Gabriel every season from just this 1 source of revenue. We still need to be doing far more off the pitch to increase revenue

Post #524850  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:47 pm 

As to Fulham, Scott Parker is an ex Spurs player. Not that there's anything wrong with that regarding his managerial capabilities as it were.

Post #524851  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:49 pm 

Still doubt Manchester will be staying red once May arrives.

Post #524852  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:04 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

If they selected an all English team it would be bad enough. But since they don't it is breathtakingly self-delusional Trumpish nonsense.

Errr, it’s clearly tongue in cheek.

Post #524853  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:19 pm 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56325695

Has anyone read about the proposed change to the Champions League to bring 4 more teams in?
There is talk of 2 of the additional 4 places being 'wildcard' based on UEFA co-efficient. Currently that would give Arsenal a very good chance of being that wildcard as one of if not the highest ranked team not to qualify for the champions league.

Post #524854  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:27 pm 

Ash wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I get that the journalist isn't actually advocating a good shoeing to Arsenal and thinks that would be appropriate but I don't understand why this was even the take from the weekend's game. There was absolutely nothing in the game that suggested Burnley had roughed Arsenal up. If the story was written on the basis of the 'scream' by Lacazette then this pretty much reinforces the point I made when it appeared on MOTD that we and Lacazette had been unfairly singled out as an easy target because it fits with the general narrative that Arsenal are soft and dive and are susceptible to a bit of rough treatment.

Post #524855  Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:39 pm 

Rich wrote:
I made when it appeared on MOTD that we and Lacazette had been unfairly singled out as an easy target because it fits with the general narrative that Arsenal are soft and dive and are susceptible to a bit of rough treatment.

Rich, MOTD have mentioned the screaming before. I have little or no doubt that the most likely reason they singled out Lacazette was him being the most extreme example of it. You can find as many clips of other Premier League players screaming as you like. I don’t think any of them would be the equal of Lacazette’s. That’s why I reckon they focused on him in a humorous manner Saturday night.

Just forget it as it isn’t a big deal. He probably won’t be an Arsenal player much longer anyway.

Post #524856  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:42 am 

Rich wrote:
Ash wrote:

I get that the journalist isn't actually advocating a good shoeing to Arsenal and thinks that would be appropriate but I don't understand why this was even the take from the weekend's game. There was absolutely nothing in the game that suggested Burnley had roughed Arsenal up. If the story was written on the basis of the 'scream' by Lacazette then this pretty much reinforces the point I made when it appeared on MOTD that we and Lacazette had been unfairly singled out as an easy target because it fits with the general narrative that Arsenal are soft and dive and are susceptible to a bit of rough treatment.

Isn’t this a preview piece? There’s merit in what you’re saying, reputations in football affect things. Also is has rough treatment gone by the wayside? We get more red cards than anyone else and in line with what the piece said we’re relatively powder puff. it seems aggressive pressing is the new way to be physical.

Post #524857  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:46 am 

Based on our points deficit from top 6/7, Arteta should focus on winning the Europa League. Getting into top 6/7 & winning Europa are both very tall orders for us. We just lack the consistency. Please prove me wrong on either front!

Post #524858  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:50 am 

This wild card system, is probably the suggestion of the American owners. American professional sides have been using a 'wild card' system for ages.

I personally think the reason is if a globally followed side has a bad season they will still be in the CL. It dilutes the competition and even though we may benefit, I'm against it in principle.

I would actually see the number of clubs reduced. I wouldn't go back to the old champions only format (which makes the present name a mockery) but I think way too many sides are in it. Top 2 and the previous years cup finalists perhaps have a choice of entering or defending their cup.

I think eventually a super league may happen. The American owners will be for it. 'We' don't have a promotion / relegation system so they are not used to it and don't like it. They don't want to risk a Man Utd 1974 season or a Liverpool 1954 season.

Post #524859  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:30 am 

1.15m meals were provided for vulnerable people by Premier League clubs during the pandemic. Arsenal responsible for 500,000 of them. Great effort from the club

Post #524860  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:35 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
This wild card system, is probably the suggestion of the American owners. American professional sides have been using a 'wild card' system for ages.
I personally think the reason is if a globally followed side has a bad season they will still be in the CL. It dilutes the competition and even though we may benefit, I'm against it in principle.

I read in the article is was supposedly being pushed by Van Der Saar the technical director at Ajax and the Juve technical director who also sits higher up on various UEFA boards I think.
Id agree with you that I highly doubt any of the American owners of big clubs would be against it, it secures their income.

Post #524861  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:59 am 

Rich wrote:
1.15m meals were provided for vulnerable people by Premier League clubs during the pandemic. Arsenal responsible for 500,000 of them. Great effort from the club

Yes that is a great achievement. Well done to the club

Post #524862  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:39 am 

Before some moan about Xhaka making sideways or back passes all the time, you might wish to take account of this table which indicates he has made the eighth most passes into the final third of the opposition’s half across Europe’s top five leagues this season.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... dium=email

Post #524863  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:08 pm 

Mavropanos is doing well in Germany by all accounts. I wonder what his Arsenal future is?
If he’s not one for us then we need to be getting proper money for him, none of this £5-7m nonsense. If he’s playing regularly and we’ll in the top league of one of the top 3 leagues in Europe and given his age that makes him £20m as a minimum

Post #524864  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Before some moan about Xhaka making sideways or back passes all the time, you might wish to take account of this table which indicates he has made the eighth most passes into the final third of the opposition’s half across Europe’s top five leagues this season.

I think I posted something a while back about the stats showing Xhaka as our most ‘progressive’ passer. He is the sort of player now who can have 10 good games and make 1 mistake and all that is remembered and talked about by fans and pundits is the mistake.

Xhaka will still be with us next season I’m sure of it

Remarkable to see Messi so high up the list considering he’s the only one who isn’t a holding or central mid. He’s basically doing everything for Barca

Post #524865  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think I posted something a while back about the stats showing Xhaka as our most ‘progressive’ passer. He is the sort of player now who can have 10 good games and make 1 mistake and all that is remembered and talked about by fans and pundits is the mistake.

Regarding your first sentence I’m pretty sure you did Rich. In fact I know you did. But beyond that, I didn’t realise he was the eighth most progressive passer across the top five leagues in Europe.

I think you’re right in your second point too. The mistake at Burnley will be remembered more than all the good things he’s done in this run of games.

Post #524866  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Remarkable to see Messi so high up the list considering he’s the only one who isn’t a holding or central mid. He’s basically doing everything for Barca

Messi has been doing that for several years now. He is effectively an attacking midfielder who scores more goals than most strikers. It is incredibly how badly run Barca have been in the last 3/4 years. Messi has carried them to an absurd degree.

Post #524867  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Here’s a little stat for you.

Since the start of 2016-17, Granit Xhaka has made more individual errors leading to goals (8) than any other outfield player in the Premier League.

I also point you to this weeks Tuesday club titled “bog standard Xhaka” (clue In the title) where they discuss and I quote you “the absolute d******* In the middle of our midfield”

Post #524868  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Since the start of 2016-17, Granit Xhaka has made more individual errors leading to goals (8) than any other outfield player in the Premier League.

I also point you to this weeks Tuesday club titled “bog standard Xhaka” (clue In the title) where they discuss and I quote you “the absolute d******* In the middle of our midfield”

Shows some people are morons then.

Post #524869  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

What about the stats though?

At this stage you have resorted to searching for the minutest possible shred of evidence he’s anything bar a liability.

Post #524870  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

At this stage you have resorted to searching for the minutest possible shred of evidence he’s anything bar a liability.

No I’m not. You have repeatedly accused him of passing sideways and backwards. That clearly is UTTER GARBAGE. I couldn’t give a toss what some moronic Tuesday club, whoever they are, says. All you have to do is watch games without blinkered eyes to see he isn’t remotely as bad as some make out.

People should try speaking from a footballing perspective instead of an ‘I am going to moan because I hate him’ perspective.

Post #524871  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No I’m not. You have repeatedly accused him of passing sideways and backwards. That clearly is UTTER GARBAGE. I couldn’t give a toss what some moronic Tuesday club, whoever they are, says. All you have to do is watch games without blinkered eyes to see he isn’t remotely as bad as some make out.

People should try speaking from a footballing perspective instead of an ‘I am going to moan because I hate him’ perspective.

He’s factually the biggest liability in the league. Congratulations

Post #524872  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

No he isn’t. Giving away a few goals does not make it a fact as it disregards the positives he brings.

Post #524873  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No he isn’t. Giving away a few goals does not make it a fact as it disregards the positives he brings.

Like what a 30 yarder every 2 seasons

Biggest liability in the league. This is a fact. Surely that speaks volumes. You are wrong again

Post #524874  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Biggest liability in the league. This is a fact. Surely that speaks volumes. You are wrong again

Do you even know what a ‘fact’ is? You clearly don’t if you think that is a fact. It is your opinion. No more, no less. Whatever one thinks of your opinion.

Post #524875  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:04 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Do you even know what a ‘fact’ is? You clearly don’t if you think that is a fact. It is your opinion. No more, no less. Whatever one thinks of your opinion.

Nope it’s a fact. No other outfield player has made more costly mistakes. Not an opinion a fact.

Post #524876  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:55 pm 

Kroenke
https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-billionaire-stan-kroenke-wins-215622330.html

Post #524877  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:20 pm 

Apparently Sokatris is now telling dressing room Olympiacos players secrets about Arsenal. Same as he told the Arsenal dressing room Olympiacos secrets a year ago.... :14laughter:

And his new team-mates have wasted little time in tapping into his insider knowledge ahead of Thursday night’s rematch.

“He has told us some secrets, but I won’t tell you about any of them,” admitted Olympiacos winger Bruma during an exclusive interview with Goal this week. “It’s between us and Sokratis.

“Of course, he knows Arsenal’s locker room better than anyone.

Post #524878  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:32 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Nope it’s a fact. No other outfield player has made more costly mistakes. Not an opinion a fact.

The difference here is that I don't think I've seen anyone who rates Xhaka that doesn't acknowledge this, or his other flaws - his lack of mobility, his one-footedness etc. We all know he makes these errors, and we all criticise him when he does.

But I rarely, if ever, see his biggest detractors acknowledge all the things he does well. If you want to call him the biggest liability in the league because of that stat, that's fine. But it's also not an opinion that he's one of the most progressive midfielders in the league, whether it's progressive passing, carrying the ball or getting the ball into the final third. The stats are very clear about that. He simply gets the ball forward to teammates more than almost every other midfielder in the league, year after year. It has come to the point where he can literally have ten excellent performances in a row that goes without comment from most, but as soon as he has a poor game his critics are out in full force. There's a reason why all of his managers seem to rate him so highly.

Post #524879  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:57 pm 

[quote="Rich"]https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56325695

Has anyone read about the proposed change to the Champions League to bring 4 more teams in?
There is talk of 2 of the additional 4 places being 'wildcard' based on UEFA co-efficient. Currently that would give Arsenal a very good chance of being that wildcard as one of if not the highest ranked team not to qualify for the champions league.[/quote]
Yes Rich. Two months ago it's been tossed around as a possibility. Expansion of CL instead since that "Big Picture" proposal failed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailym ... added.html

Post #524880  Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:36 pm 

"There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong."

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13119, 13120, 13121, 13122, 13123, 13124, 13125 ... 14269  Next