Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, warrior and 349 guests

Post #500921  Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:42 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I have a feeling we have gone off Tierney though for some reason. Just a hunch as I think it would be a shame. We need a left back even more than a centre back.

I assume it has to be balancing the fee Celtic want against his injury record. His signing would be a risk. However good he is, if he doesn’t play much we’ll often end up at left back with a once fine but now past it Monreal or in Kolasinac a defender who can’t defend.

Post #500922  Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hey I’ve said before his only weakness is that he has little temperament and his decision making is appalling.

Physically he has all the right attributes and he has reasonable recovery pace but his problem has always been his brain farts, jumping in, lack of composure and poor decision making. Central defenders have to play with their head as much as their body and he has no head what so ever

Okay, I was being slightly tongue in cheek. But I do think some people go over the top about Mustafi. After his balls up against Palace at the Emirates last season, some idiot on Twitter wished cancer on him and his family. It was a massive error but Jesus wept, what type of person do you have to be to say something like that? About the worst I’ve seen here was Darren declaring his hatred of him. I thought that was unnecessary and well over the top. But it’s very mild compared to that stupid git on Twitter.

That type of hatred is ridiculous. I remember Paul Davis who was a favourite of mine was a target of the boo boys at one point.

But remember Darren is a level headed guy he means he hated Mustafi in a sporting sense

I remember when we lost the Europa final (we were all really expecting to lose anyway) people were on here telling Emery to *%^@ off. People these days are far more reactionary

... but that said it doesn’t make Mustafi any less shite :laughing7:

Post #500923  Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:10 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Hey Rich, Bielik, to me at least, seems worth more than 10 mil. That's all. Especially with the prices being banded about these days.

How realistic is it to get more than £10m? At the age of 21 Bielik made two substitute appearances for Arsenal in the League Cup. Hardly a sign of him being highly rated at the club, I’d have thought. He apparently has a good season at Charlton in League 1. After showing us your knowledge of Conference defenders, I realise you’re the expert on lower league football. I stand to be corrected, but does that really make him worth more than £10m?

I wonder how often American has seen Bielik play. Being fairly local to me, and with my son's friend and his dad being Charlton supporters, I saw him three times at the Valley last season. He was definitely one of the better players on show, but he was far from standing head and shoulders above the rest - mainly journeymen pros with a few youngsters. On the evidence of my own two eyes £10M is a perfectly acceptable price for Bielik. Good luck to him anyway.

Post #500924  Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
But remember Darren is a level headed guy he means he hated Mustafi in a sporting sense

Darren is a level headed guy. Which I suspect would make some think he shouldn’t sink to that level. Bloody Nora, I’ve seen Caesar, Mancini, Blockley, Stepanovs and no doubt others who have slipped my mind. I didn’t declare a hatred for any of them, and they’d all ensure Mustafi wouldn’t even get on the subs bench for my worst ever Arsenal team.

Post #500925  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:42 am 

socrates wrote:
Rumours we want Coutinho on loan with an option to buy.

Has to be bullshite, I mean it'd be like watching the bloody Harlem Globetrotters :laughing7:

We wouldn't be able to defend at all so most games would end up 7-5.

Perhaps that is Stan's plan :42laughter: Now, who will be "Curly" in the team?

Post #500926  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:55 am 

To echo some of the views here, I am excited about the new season. Was excited last season when Emery took over, but it dissipated when Emery started to sound like AW. With players of his choice coming in, and good quality ones at that, the excitement (and high anticipation) has risen. Fix the central defence with one key signing, and we are ready to transform back to the Arsenal of old ............. one without a soft-belly. For all you know, Xhaka might even turn out to be the Captain we have been missing for a long time. With better players in front of him, there may be lesser need for him to run (jog) back in desperation. With better movement in front of him, he might be able to find the players better. And maybe, he will be braver with his long-range thunderbolts. Here's wishing!

Post #500927  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:14 am 

gooner7 wrote:
To echo some of the views here, I am excited about the new season. Was excited last season when Emery took over, but it dissipated when Emery started to sound like AW. With players of his choice coming in, and good quality ones at that, the excitement (and high anticipation) has risen. Fix the central defence with one key signing, and we are ready to transform back to the Arsenal of old ............. one without a soft-belly. For all you know, Xhaka might even turn out to be the Captain we have been missing for a long time. With better players in front of him, there may be lesser need for him to run (jog) back in desperation. With better movement in front of him, he might be able to find the players better. And maybe, he will be braver with his long-range thunderbolts. Here's wishing!

Hi gooner,

I am excited too but I do feel that if we don't bring in a CB and LB we will be like Liverpool of a couple of seasons back........like the red arrows going forward but just too vulnerable at the back to be a serious team.

Time is running out to get what we need.

Post #500928  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:22 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I have a feeling we have gone off Tierney though for some reason. Just a hunch as I think it would be a shame. We need a left back even more than a centre back.

I assume it has to be balancing the fee Celtic want against his injury record. His signing would be a risk. However good he is, if he doesn’t play much we’ll often end up at left back with a once fine but now past it Monreal or in Kolasinac a defender who can’t defend.

Hi Bernard,

There is talk that we are not closing the Tierney deal because we don't want to start paying him until the last minute because he's injured.

Of course, if his injury is not responding well to treatment then it could possibly be a deal-breaker, at least until January. Risky policy because who knows what clubs might need a LB then but then it would also be a risk signing a player without knowing the full extent of his injury and the underlying causes.

Post #500929  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:04 am 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:
I don’t see many league 1 players going for £10m

How much did we get the Ox for?

£15m odd.
However, ox was a hugely talented 17 year old who had most big prem teams after him, hence the price tag.
I don’t know for sure but it certainly didn’t seem like Bielik had a wide range of prem teams after him, let alone the best prem teams.
The quality and quantity of the teams wanting to buy a player is always going to push up the price.

Post #500930  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:20 am 

Rich wrote:
I don’t know for sure but it certainly didn’t seem like Bielik had a wide range of prem teams after him, let alone the best prem teams.
The quality and quantity of the teams wanting to buy a player is always going to push up the price.

£10m is really good money for a player moving to the Championship I'd say. A quick look at transfermarkt shows the record signing of a Championship team as £16m, with about 15 players going for £10m or more.

Post #500931  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:22 am 

socrates wrote:
There is talk that we are not closing the Tierney deal because we don't want to start paying him until the last minute because he's injured.

Of course, if his injury is not responding well to treatment then it could possibly be a deal-breaker, at least until January. Risky policy because who knows what clubs might need a LB then but then it would also be a risk signing a player without knowing the full extent of his injury and the underlying causes.

I think we'll see some movement early next week, with the final pre season game over. My guess would be we're simply not in such a hurry to finalize the deal because Tierney won't be available to start the season anyway so it doesn't matter if it's not done until deadline day. Been way too much talk for us not to wrap this one up.

Post #500932  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:46 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi Bernard,

Hi Socrates. My immediate inclination would be to see that as tight. But he’s so injury prone, I can see the logic of it.

Post #500933  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:50 am 

Hazuki wrote:
I think we'll see some movement early next week, with the final pre season game over. My guess would be we're simply not in such a hurry to finalize the deal because Tierney won't be available to start the season anyway so it doesn't matter if it's not done until deadline day. Been way too much talk for us not to wrap this one up.

Don’t you remember Higuain though? There must have been just as much talk about him, perhaps even more.

Post #500934  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Don’t you remember Higuain though? There must have been just as much talk about him, perhaps even more.

Yes, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else in for Tierney so it's all about finding an agreement with Celtic. With Higuain we had competition. Can't imagine the player would turn us down to stay at Celtic, when he has a good chance of starting for us once he's fit.

Post #500935  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:22 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yes, but there doesn't seem to be anyone else in for Tierney so it's all about finding an agreement with Celtic. With Higuain we had competition. Can't imagine the player would turn us down to stay at Celtic, when he has a good chance of starting for us once he's fit.

Everything I’ve read suggests Tierney wants to join us. For me the issue is, as you say, agreeing a deal with Celtic. Whether that can be done considering his injury problems, I don’t know.

Post #500936  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:32 am 

Apart from Tierney, I guess the last part of the puzzle going into the season is central defense. There are still rumours about Mustafi being available, we know Koscielny wants to leave, and now a rumour surfaced that Sheffield United wants Chambers on loan. If at least two of them leave we would need a replacement for this season, but time is running out.

Lots of interesting options out there, and I wonder if we've strengthened our position as a buying club this summer. With the signings we've made, perhaps players see us as a club on the rise? The club president of Lille was on French radio before the Pépé signing was announced, and he said Pépé chose Arsenal both because of our financial offer and because the player saw our football project as more interesting.

Post #500937  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Everything I’ve read suggests Tierney wants to join us. For me the issue is, as you say, agreeing a deal with Celtic. Whether that can be done considering his injury problems, I don’t know.

This is the latest that I can find about his injury. That has gone from a double hernia and now he has the other issue.

https://talksport.com/football/581945/c ... y-arsenal/

I have not found any highlights of his defending just his attacking part of the game. I think we have put too much energy into this transfer and should have been looking elsewhere for a CB and LB.

IMO we are looking at a potentially good player who is injury prone and we have no idea whether he is EPL standard. I think it is too risky unless he can pass a fitness test.

Post #500938  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:00 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
IMO we are looking at a potentially good player who is injury prone and we have no idea whether he is EPL standard. I think it is too risky unless he can pass a fitness test.

From what I can see he had a big injury in 16/17, and then one or two this season that eventually required surgery (not sure if the two injuries were linked?). He has managed to play 40 games or more the last three seasons and only just turned 22, so I think it's a little premature to label him as exceptionally injury prone. I'm sure we have qualified personell to make an assessment about his health.

Post #500939  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:06 am 

According to Talksport, Holding played in an under 23 game against Watford yesterday.

https://talksport.com/football/582020/a ... ppearance/

Post #500940  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:15 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

From what I can see he had a big injury in 16/17, and then one or two this season that eventually required surgery (not sure if the two injuries were linked?). He has managed to play 40 games or more the last three seasons and only just turned 22, so I think it's a little premature to label him as exceptionally injury prone. I'm sure we have qualified personell to make an assessment about his health.

This is where I got my info and for someone so young he has a bit of a history.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/kieran-ti ... ler/300716

Post #500941  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:41 pm 

F366 have broken down our ins and outs based on what we’re paying this season.
It works out at £33m out and £15m in. Meaning we should still have £27m odd from our rumoured £45m budget

Post #500942  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:02 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

Lots of interesting options out there, and I wonder if we've strengthened our position as a buying club this summer. With the signings we've made, perhaps players see us as a club on the rise? The club president of Lille was on French radio before the Pépé signing was announced, and he said Pépé chose Arsenal both because of our financial offer and because the player saw our football project as more interesting.

It's like signing Charlie Nicholas after he scored 50+ goals for Celtic. Exciting times for Arsenal. Sanllehi's wheeling and dealing has been impressive on paper so far.

Post #500943  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:50 pm 

Anyone know anything about the Leeds no5 name of White?

Watching Bristol C v Leeds, and quite impressed with him

Post #500944  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:54 pm 

Not a bad Charity Shield match. Sterling missed some gilded edged chances. Early in the season but still, some of his finishing was woeful despite the goal. I've seen better finishing on unvarnished antique furniture.

Oh, and 3 mass shootings in less than 2 weeks. It wouldn't have anything to do with...nah..not the President? No, surely he hasn't incited nut cases with his rhetoric?

Post #500945  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:51 pm 

Thankfully Aubameyang's form is excellent, may it stay that way all season :21encouragement:

Post #500946  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:52 pm 

Match is on Premier Sports 1
if anyone has it

Post #500947  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:53 pm 

Willock impressive
Nelson lively
Defence looks OK so far

Post #500948  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:54 pm 

Great goal by Aubameyang

Post #500949  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:57 pm 

Mikhi playing well. Deeper and more defencively that usual. Could be the answer to the lack of defenders................

Post #500950  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:02 pm 

Decent performance so far.

The kids have been excellent.......AMN, Willock and Nelson all really good.

AMN playing like prime Cafu :laughing7:

Post #500951  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:19 pm 

It seems like every pre season game people are saying Willock is the stand out player.
How brilliant would it be to be able to have the likes of Willock, Nelson, AMN, Nketiah as not only first team squad members but genuine first team players who can win games with their performances. It would be rear to see the press stand up and take notice of this young English talent we have.

Post #500952  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:35 pm 

Will somebody please tell the comm on Premier that it's Mikhi not Mackhi :36angers: :36angers:

Post #500953  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:43 pm 

socrates wrote:
Decent performance so far.

The kids have been excellent.......AMN, Willock and Nelson all really good.

AMN playing like prime Cafu :laughing7:

Errrr....

Post #500954  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:57 pm 

I’m outraged we haven’t won the Catalan bullsh*t cup. Every victory Will be hollow from here on out.

Post #500955  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:05 pm 

We saw the very best and worst of Maitland-Niles tonight. Some longbusting runs forward and some great crosses in the first half but a second half littered with lapses in concentration and just a general lack of defensive awareness and nous.

Post #500956  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:12 pm 

We played quite well at times tonight but one thing is absolutely clear, if we do not sign a LB and CB we are in for another season filled with the concession of comedy goals.

Mustafi and Chambers is a comedy pairing and we are an injury to Sokratis away from that.

Monreal's legs have gone and he has become a liability defensively whilst Kolasinac is simply not a LB.

Post #500957  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:19 pm 

I didn’t watch the game and can’t find a match report on the official website yet. What was the team and who came on and went off?

Post #500958  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:12 am 

socrates wrote:
We saw the very best and worst of Maitland-Niles tonight. Some longbusting runs forward and some great crosses in the first half but a second half littered with lapses in concentration and just a general lack of defensive awareness and nous.

AMN is not a natural right back. Not sure if he enjoys playing that role. I think he is more a right winger.

Post #500959  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:04 am 

Yeah, it was my understanding he was put at RB out of necessity due to injuries (Bellerin, etc). It's a tough position to learn. Central defenders just focus on defending and positioning while full backs have to be both defenders and part of the attack. That takes years of training.

Post #500960  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:25 am 

socrates wrote:
We played quite well at times tonight but one thing is absolutely clear, if we do not sign a LB and CB we are in for another season filled with the concession of comedy goals.

Mustafi and Chambers is a comedy pairing and we are an injury to Sokratis away from that.

Monreal's legs have gone and he has become a liability defensively whilst Kolasinac is simply not a LB.

I looked at highlights online. I could not make out Leno calling M-N as to his positioning. But the 2nd goal was an absolute disaster and similar to a number we have conceded in preseason and last season. I have no sense that any of them know what they are doing or supposed to be doing at the back. The worry I have is that this defence could totally collapse at any time. I think Ozzie Ardiles as manager proved that 5 forwards and a crap defence is a problem. I am very concerned that we urgently need central defenders and cover for Bellerin who must be ready to play immediately. Can’t see this happening and our season could be in strife right from the start.

Emery has made it clear that they need to start the season really well. I take that to mean only a win at Newcastle is acceptable. By then it will be too late for a trolley dash.

[ 571971 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12521, 12522, 12523, 12524, 12525, 12526, 12527 ... 14300  Next