Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dec, Googlebot, mcquilkie, warrior and 164 guests

Post #500841  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:31 am 

Saw the highlights. I'm not going to make more or less out of it than what it was. Simply a preseason match to get us ready for the season ahead.

Post #500842  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:28 am 

The Metro is about as reliable as the Sun, but is Pépé as definite as some have been assuming?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/31/10497336-10497336/

Post #500843  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:35 am 

Bernard wrote:
The Metro is about as reliable as the Sun, but is Pépé as definite as some have been assuming?

I mean, there are pictures of him outside the Arsenal training ground, and also in an Arsenal shirt during a photoshoot just like the ones we're doing with all new signings. Emery probably just don't want to say it's done before it's officially announced.

Post #500844  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 am 

:angel4:
Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I mean, there are pictures of him outside the Arsenal training ground, and also in an Arsenal shirt during a photoshoot just like the ones we're doing with all new signings. Emery probably just don't want to say it's done before it's officially announced.

Could the photos have been done before the contract was signed, and it then fell through for one reason or another? If it isn’t confirmed on Arsenal.com today, my doubts will grow considerably.

Look, let me apologise for my negativity. I hope it does happen. But I don’t trust the Kroenke regime at all.

Post #500845  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:11 am 

Bernard wrote:
Could the photos have been done before the contract was signed, and it then fell through for one reason or another? If it isn’t confirmed on Arsenal.com today, my doubts will grow considerably.

I doubt all the paperwork has been 100% done and registered with the FA (whatever that process looks like) when they do the interview, photoshoot etc. But if the deal had fallen through, surely somebody would've picked up on it?

Arsenal just seem notoriously slow with these things, you even had the Lille president confirming the deal on French radio yesterday.

Post #500846  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:47 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I doubt all the paperwork has been 100% done and registered with the FA (whatever that process looks like) when they do the interview, photoshoot etc. But if the deal had fallen through, surely somebody would've picked up on it?

Arsenal just seem notoriously slow with these things, you even had the Lille president confirming the deal on French radio yesterday.

I really hope you’re right. If it isn’t confirmed today, will your confidence that it soon will happen remain as certain, or will it fall?

I accept I have this mental block with the Kroenke regime. I don’t trust them at all so am willing to see anything negative as feasible. Bloody hell, I’d probably believe Boris or Jeremy (to cover both sides of the political spectrum) before I’ll trust Stan, whether that’s fair or not.

Post #500847  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:03 am 

Bernard wrote:
I really hope you’re right. If it isn’t confirmed today, will your confidence that it soon will happen remain as certain, or will it fall?

It will remain the same. There would have to be some sort of info from credible sources about the deal going bad to change that.

And I don't think it has much to do with Kroenke (well, I guess he would’ve been involved in hiring some of the people in the new regime). It just seems we have good football people at the club now working behind the scenes with a clear plan of how they want to build this team.

Post #500848  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:47 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

It will remain the same. There would have to be some sort of info from credible sources about the deal going bad to change that.

And I don't think it has much to do with Kroenke (well, I guess he would’ve been involved in hiring some of the people in the new regime). It just seems we have good football people at the club now working behind the scenes with a clear plan of how they want to build this team.

Suppose it depends what makes a credible source. Is Ornstein as credible as he used to be? I once heard his primary source was Gazidis. If that was the case, Ivan is obviously no longer around at the club. So are Ornstein’s contacts as trustworthy as they once used to be?

Post #500849  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:01 am 

A Sky report from two hours ago reports that Emery “is optimistic of keeping Koscielny” and that “Pépé is a possibility but he is one that we are following”.

Watch this space then.

Post #500850  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:43 am 

long time gooner wrote:
A Sky report from two hours ago reports that Emery “is optimistic of keeping Koscielny” and that “Pépé is a possibility but he is one that we are following”.

Watch this space then.

The Lille president seems sure but I can't understand what the delay is. I suspect everything has to go thru Stan.

Post #500851  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:01 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Watch this space then.

Bad news about Koscielny, if true. Just as as bad as Mustafi now, arguably even worse.

Post #500852  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Watch this space then.

Bad news about Koscielny, if true. Just as as bad as Mustafi now, arguably even worse.

Why would we want to keep him now anyway, when it appears he clearly wants out.

Post #500853  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:24 pm 

tomc wrote:

Doesn’t make sense to me. He’s hardly going to be motivated is he, making him being a past it has been even worse.

Post #500854  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:01 pm 

tomc wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Because talks can happen and contracts can be adjusted and people can back down, and no matter how much you bang the drum Bernard I just don’t think Mustafi and Koscielny are equally bad. His first few performances when he came back from his Achilles injury were streets ahead of Mustafi, which I was very surprised by. His issue was he couldn’t keep up with the schedule. If he plays no more than one game a week I’d MUCH rather have a motivated Kos for a year than Mustafi. And I’m guessing you think the opposite and that’s fine.

Post #500855  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:35 pm 

So, the most expensive player in the history of Derby County will be some geezer from the Arsenal reserves? Yep, there's nothing mental at all about football in 2019:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -arsenals/

Post #500856  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:18 pm 

If Kos leaves and we don't sign another quality CB I'd try and coax Mertesacker out of retirement.

Post #500857  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:38 pm 

http://www.arsenal.com

The eagle has landed.

Post #500858  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:57 pm 

DHD wrote:

The eagle has landed.

Considerably free of drama then when compared to the Ashavin saga. Live footage of him pacing around outside his hotel as the deadline passed. Those were the days.

Post #500859  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:57 pm 

:bunny:
Ash wrote:
tomc wrote:
Because talks can happen and contracts can be adjusted and people can back down, and no matter how much you bang the drum Bernard I just don’t think Mustafi and Koscielny are equally bad. His first few performances when he came back from his Achilles injury were streets ahead of Mustafi, which I was very surprised by. His issue was he couldn’t keep up with the schedule. If he plays no more than one game a week I’d MUCH rather have a motivated Kos for a year than Mustafi. And I’m guessing you think the opposite and that’s fine.

Mustafi played very well during our winning run. I think way beyond Koscielny’s level when he came back with the single exception of Chelsea home, when he had a fine match. Face it, there’s as much chance of Koscielny being motivated next season as there is of you or me wanting Tottenham to win the title. Get rid of both but if one has to be kept, I’d sooner see the back of Koscielny. Shame because he once once a very good player, but age and injuries have sadly not just caught up with him, but overtaken him.

Post #500860  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:04 pm 

DHD wrote:

The eagle has landed.

That's a relief! Now let's hope the player can deliver and justify his fee. Great work Arsenal, now let's see some defenders.

Post #500861  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:19 pm 

Fab news.

Now, if we can just get the Neymar deal over the line it will have been a goodish window.

Post #500862  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:21 pm 

socrates wrote:
Fab news.

Now, if we can just get the Neymar deal over the line it will have been a goodish window.

Can Neymar play as centre half? :laughing7:

Post #500863  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:22 pm 

I must admit, when we missed out on CL football I thought players like Pépé were out of our reach, for many reasons.

Post #500864  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:23 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
Fab news.

Yep, its the only logical place to play him.

Post #500865  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:26 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
Fab news.

No. But maybe this is the Pépé we got.....

Attachments:
Shahter-Reak_M_2015_(19).jpg
Shahter-Reak_M_2015_(19).jpg [ 10.95 KB | Viewed 2793 times ]

Post #500866  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:34 pm 

dec wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

No. But maybe this is the Pépé we got.....

Actually, I'd take him. :laughing7:

Post #500867  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:40 pm 

socrates wrote:
I must admit, when we missed out on CL football I thought players like Pépé were out of our reach, for many reasons.

Seems to me Soc, the importance of playing in the CL is vastly over-rated by the media. It never seems to bother Man U's targets. Doesn't seem to bother Zaha whose reason for leaving Palace is apparently his burning desire to play in the CL.

Most players change clubs for money.

Simple.

Post #500868  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
:bunny:
Ash wrote:

Mustafi played very well during our winning run. I think way beyond Koscielny’s level when he came back with the single exception of Chelsea home, when he had a fine match. Face it, there’s as much chance of Koscielny being motivated next season as there is of you or me wanting Tottenham to win the title. Get rid of both but if one has to be kept, I’d sooner see the back of Koscielny. Shame because he once once a very good player, but age and injuries have sadly not just caught up with him, but overtaken him.

Perhaps, but stranger things have happened. Kos was just back from a long term injury and put in some decent performances. That bodes well for his form - but yes my preference is that we have some other CBs that render them both second choice or gone.

Post #500869  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:25 pm 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Perhaps, but stranger things have happened. Kos was just back from a long term injury and put in some decent performances. That bodes well for his form - but yes my preference is that we have some other CBs that render them both second choice or gone.

I’m really struggling to think of many decent games, outside the Chelsea one which was better than decent. I think people are forgetting Mustafi’s form during the winning run.

Post #500870  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:41 pm 

DHD wrote:
Seems to me Soc, the importance of playing in the CL is vastly over-rated by the media. It never seems to bother Man U's targets. Doesn't seem to bother Zaha whose reason for leaving Palace is apparently his burning desire to play in the CL.

Also, with the way the Premier League is shaping up it seems hasty to base such an important decision on who happens to play in the CL that particular year. Chelsea and Tottenham are in it this season, but there's certainly no guarantee they'll be there next year. Three years ago we came off a season where Liverpool finished in 8th place, now they're the reigning CL champions.

Post #500871  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 pm 

It was just a matter of time to wait for it to be official, but it is crazy how the Pépé deal only seemed to break in the media less than a week ago. Yes we were linked at the back end of last season but I think every Arsenal fan probably already thought his performances and price had taken him out of our reach.
So great to see such a clear plan, long term plan for improving the squad. 2 18 year olds, a 22 year old and a 24 year old. And possibly another 22 year old in Tierney to come.

If we can get Tierney and a CB over the line then it has been a great window

Post #500872  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:52 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
Fab news.

Yes you can put his ego at the CH position and that willl block most teams and then he plays where he demands to play on any given day. Great news that something has happened.

Do I want to see Kos again - no never. He has been directly responsible for costing us one trophy and partly responsible for another. He made his bed. He must go. Captain and refused to board the flight. What sort of example would that set.

Post #500873  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:57 pm 

I can guarantee we’ll hear the standard two classic lines from rival fans about the Pépé signing...
1. That’s a helluva lot of money
2. You’ve still got a rubbish defence

Both true, but it won’t and can’t take any excitement of the Pépé signing. Without doubt he is a player that every single one of the other top 6 teams would have in the team, including City. It is not often we sign a player that we can say that for. I would say the same about Saliba as well

Post #500874  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:52 pm 

I am starting to think that the owners have done irreparable damage to the club. A signing as good as Pépé would have meant the forum was inundated with hopeful supporters looking forward to the new season. Instead a few comments is all we get. The drawn out process where it appeared he was signed ages ago and the late announcement do not help.

Maybe people see that our defence was something that needed to be addressed; therefore being reluctant to get excited.

Make no mistake I love the Pépé deal and the fact that we are buying quality who really could be desired by Man City, Barca or RM in the future.

Post #500875  Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:14 am 

Post #500876  Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:19 am 

Wonderful news, welcome Pépé!

Post #500877  Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:42 am 

Rich wrote:
It was just a matter of time to wait for it to be official, but it is crazy how the Pépé deal only seemed to break in the media less than a week ago. Yes we were linked at the back end of last season but I think every Arsenal fan probably already thought his performances and price had taken him out of our reach.
So great to see such a clear plan, long term plan for improving the squad. 2 18 year olds, a 22 year old and a 24 year old. And possibly another 22 year old in Tierney to come.

I fully agree that if we get Tierney (I’m showing my enthusiasm by not mentioning his injury record ... I’ll leave that to Gaz though it has to be a concern), it’ll be a great window.

Post #500878  Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:13 am 

The Pépé signing has properly ballsed up the #wecaredoyou campaign our “influencers” were running.

I mean one moment they were getting tons of attention they sought next moment it’s been completely forgotten under an avalanche of positivity.

If we sign Tierney even they couldn’t argue it’s been a good summer.

Post #500879  Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:02 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

I fully agree that if we get Tierney (I’m showing my enthusiasm by not mentioning his injury record ... I’ll leave that to Gaz though it has to be a concern), it’ll be a great window.

Actually, thinking things through a bit more we urgently need a central defender (ideally two but let’s show a bit of realism). I hope both Koscielny and Mustafi go, which increases the urgency because if they do go, who is there until Holding gets fit? Sokratis, the kid Medley who nobody seems to think is ready, and Mavropanos who gave no impression last season he’s anywhere near good enough (I read Emery said something similar, although he tarted his comment up to be polite). Jenkinson isn’t an option, surely?

Post #500880  Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Actually, thinking things through a bit more we urgently need a central defender (ideally two but let’s show a bit of realism). I hope both Koscielny and Mustafi go, which increases the urgency because if they do go, who is there until Holding gets fit? Sokratis, the kid Medley who nobody seems to think is ready, and Mavropanos who gave no impression last season he’s anywhere near good enough (I read Emery said something similar, although he tarted his comment up to be polite). Jenkinson isn’t an option, surely?

My guess would be Sokratis and Chambers starting against Newcastle.

[ 571656 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12519, 12520, 12521, 12522, 12523, 12524, 12525 ... 14292  Next