Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 127 guests

Post #517201  Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:21 pm 

Brady was known for a sublime final pass ..or two!

Post #517202  Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:35 pm 

So who’s paying £15 quid a throw to the premier league to watch pay per view games?

Post #517203  Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:58 pm 

Ash wrote:
So who’s paying £15 quid a throw to the premier league to watch pay per view games?

They may be in for a shock. Take up will be low.

Post #517204  Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:02 pm 

Ash wrote:

I suppose you would want pay 15 quid to watch a Burnley game but only if u were strapped to that electric chair people talked about before, and your life depended on it.

Post #517205  Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:10 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Ash wrote:

I suppose you would want pay 15 quid to watch a Burnley game but only if u were strapped to that electric chair people talked about before, and your life depended on it.

Or a lifelong Burnley fan, plus those of who they’re playing?

Post #517206  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:59 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:

https://www.247tvstream.com

Works incredibly all over the world...for me $80/year-ish)

Post #517207  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:45 am 

Saw some stats for the average distance collectively covered per game so far by the big 6. Arsenal lead the way, 3km per match more than Liverpool in 2nd and 7km more than Man U in 6th

Post #517208  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:02 am 

Everton being top of the table and Villa second is pretty remarkable after 4 games. City bottom half the table, equally so. This won't last and will likely change on the restart after the international games. No one would have seen that coming though.

Post #517209  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:38 am 

Roastbeef wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But they are suggesting a per game price of 15 quid, 4 games and that’s yer 80 bucks. Is that good value ?

Post #517210  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:11 am 

I assume its because I access British media for Arsenal related news, that I am getting clips of 'The Graham Norton Show'. Delightful show, based on the stories famous guests have told.

Post #517211  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:35 am 

DHD wrote:
To use an old fashioned term Old Man, he has been 'working his ticket' since 2018.
Really? That implies strongly that he has been conniving to get out of something he doesn't want to be a part of, when from what we know that doesn't seem the case. To use a more modern term it could be argued he is being constructively dismissed by his boss! Whatever the eventual outcome it will be good to see him back on the field somewhere playing his lovely football. Don't be surprised either if it is at a big Premiership club.

Post #517212  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:46 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I assume its because I access British media for Arsenal related news, that I am getting clips of 'The Graham Norton Show'. Delightful show, based on the stories famous guests have told.

And this week (16 October), the guests include Arsene Wenger and Samuel L. Jackson. They ought to do a buddy movie together.

Post #517213  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:36 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
DHD wrote:
To use an old fashioned term Old Man, he has been 'working his ticket' since 2018.
Really? That implies strongly that he has been conniving to get out of something he doesn't want to be a part of, when from what we know that doesn't seem the case. To use a more modern term it could be argued he is being constructively dismissed by his boss! Whatever the eventual outcome it will be good to see him back on the field somewhere playing his lovely football. Don't be surprised either if it is at a big Premiership club.

Not a chance that any top premier league club would risk a penny on him.

Post #517214  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:52 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Whatever the eventual outcome it will be good to see him back on the field somewhere playing his lovely football. Don't be surprised either if it is at a big Premiership club.

I will be, very! Perhaps the memories of his good play have faded for most of us a bit too much, but surely of all leagues, this one isn’t for him.

I’ll be very interested to see where his next move is, retirement FC the front runner for me at the moment. Destination cash Island.

Post #517215  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:05 pm 

Not much in the way advice. I read between the lines that Özil doesn't want to play defense, needs to be fulcrum in order to feel he is in the game.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... l-22823284
Arsene Wenger's advice to Mikel Arteta on Arsenal outcast Mesut Özil

Post #517216  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:03 pm 

Frozen out by Arsenal, Mesut Özil is proving an expensive problem for the club

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/10/foot ... index.html

Post #517217  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Roastbeef wrote:

But they are suggesting a per game price of 15 quid, 4 games and that’s yer 80 bucks. Is that good value ?

So far my $80 gets me pretty much every PL game/Carabao Cup/FA/Cup/Europa league/Champions League. Links to UK/Canada/Oz/Caribbean/Middle East/USA Sports TV streaming websites..A lot of other stuff too. Need good bandwidth, but HD quality also. I was skeptical at first, but a scouse mate in Miami turned me on to it. Sometime it takes some hunting, but I 99% of the time find what I want..albeit with some manic middle eastern commentator!

Post #517218  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:36 pm 

warrior wrote:
Frozen out by Arsenal, Mesut Özil is proving an expensive problem for the club

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/10/foot ... index.html

Breaking news eh. :1laughter:

Post #517219  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:40 pm 

Roastbeef wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

That looks remarkably good. I wonder if they block it in the UK.

One thing that does really annoy me is that I pay megabucks for Sky, BT Sport and Amazon Prime but am not allowed to watch it when out of the country. It’s like having a book or magazine that you can only read in the UK.

Post #517220  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:50 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Roastbeef wrote:

One thing that does really annoy me is that I pay megabucks for Sky, BT Sport and Amazon Prime but am not allowed to watch it when out of the country. It’s like having a book or magazine that you can only read in the UK.

A VPN may be the answer if that happens..I use one in USA/Mexico so the missus can watch Corrie & 'Stenders...works like a charm!

Post #517221  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:21 pm 

Rashford did a great public service for the nations kids. I don't know how the system works or the standard but does it rise to the standard deserving on an MBE? I don't know. I have a Brit friend here (for the record hates Man Utd) who said while worthy of praise, is not worthy of an MBE.

Post #517222  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:38 pm 

Roastbeef wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

A VPN may be the answer if that happens..I use one in USA/Mexico so the missus can watch Corrie & 'Stenders...works like a charm!

Ah, that explains it. VPN is the answer.

Post #517223  Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:13 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
...I reckon the freezing out of Özil has far more to do with his poor form when Arteta was putting him in the team, and Özil has not fitting in with the way Arteta wants the team to play. Pressing the opposition when they have the ball. That just isn’t Özil’s game.
Yes, not fitting the manager's way of playing has to be the reason Özil is in deep freeze - nothing to do with his ability, relationships with the team or mental weakness. Reminds me a lot of Bertie Mee deciding George Eastham's days were over back in 1966. George was nowhere near finished as a player, as his subsequent time at Stoke City proved - the manager simply wanted a different type of footballer. When Özil leaves us it wouldn't surprise me to see him have a productive end to his career at another club. Arteta may have no use for him, but other managers will find a way to take advantage of his sublime skills.

But the thing is, for someone with obvious footballing intelligence I don't see why Özil can't do what's required? Surely closing down and pressing is merely an awareness thing that may require a higher level of fitness but isn't anything too drastic that couldn't be learnt quickly if Özil was willing to apply himself. I see Pépé being pretty lazy without the ball and gives up easily but somehow he's still getting in the squad.

I think he could do what Arteta wants but can't be bothered.

Post #517224  Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:17 am 

van Persie is on one of the biggest 'what ifs' for Arsenal. What if he had stayed healthy? What if he didn't leave? He's turned out to be one of the biggest Judas we have. I recall at the time of his move even a voice on here was saying he wasn't. Not sure how you call yourself a gooner and come to that conclusion. Anyway, he was one of my favorite players, second after Fabregas in the post invincible era. I was an early fan of his when America had eredivisie matches on. He played in the wing but looked good doing so.

A shame.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/06/glad-to- ... -13378614/

Post #517225  Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:12 am 

I don't believe for one second the LA Rams stadium was built totally with private funds. BS. No structure in LA of that size and cost goes up without the city, county and state involved financially. It's what they tell the public.

The likely truth is public funds were used in such a way to give them cover. The usual ways, tax abatements, tax credits, utility costs at deep discounts, money hidden in bond financing for another purpose but diverted ultimately to the project, the city guaranteeing the bank loans behind the scenes, etc. LA has a myriad of ways to fleece the public. Experts at it, like most major, global cities.

Post #517226  Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:16 am 

grantyboy wrote:
But the thing is, for someone with obvious footballing intelligence I don't see why Özil can't do what's required? Surely closing down and pressing is merely an awareness thing that may require a higher level of fitness but isn't anything too drastic that couldn't be learnt quickly if Özil was willing to apply himself. I see Pépé being pretty lazy without the ball and gives up easily but somehow he's still getting in the squad. I think he could do what Arteta wants but can't be bothered.
Its football madness to expect Özil to close down and press - it is not what anybody expects him to bring to the team - he never did in his career before at other clubs. If defending is what Arteta wants most from Özil, then it is no surprise he leaves him out in the cold!

Post #517227  Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:48 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
But the thing is, for someone with obvious footballing intelligence I don't see why Özil can't do what's required? Surely closing down and pressing is merely an awareness thing that may require a higher level of fitness but isn't anything too drastic that couldn't be learnt quickly if Özil was willing to apply himself. I see Pépé being pretty lazy without the ball and gives up easily but somehow he's still getting in the squad. I think he could do what Arteta wants but can't be bothered.
Its football madness to expect Özil to close down and press - it is not what anybody expects him to bring to the team - he never did in his career before at other clubs. If defending is what Arteta wants most from Özil, then it is no surprise he leaves him out in the cold!

You may think it's madness, but the whole team have defensive responsibilities when the opposition have the ball. This is modern football. Özil is either unwilling or incapable of doing his bit in this regard. When you see Aubameyang busting a gut to get back and support the left back you wonder why Özil can't show a similar level of commitment to his team mates.

Post #517228  Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:20 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:

When we bought him people were complaining he rarely tracks back. As you say, it was never part of his game. When he first came in the league he would get fouled and pout while the run of play went on and he'd sit there. Later, he toughened up and rode tackles better, accepted hard fouls, even cynical fouls were part of the British game. He changed, but there are some things he just is not going to do willingly or be committed to and that is defensive duties.

We are playing a style similar to City and Liverpool, pressing from the front and you need all the outfield players to do it. It won't work with one person who isn't going to. So, it makes sense he's being left out. Not hard to see that. But then again, these are some of the same fans who complained about Giroud's lack of pace as if he had some control over that.

Post #517229  Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:30 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I can't believe that any footballer is incapable of being able to learn a press, it is a bit of intelligence and a good level of fitness - you could teach it to a bunch of U14s. No player can come in with a certain skill set and just get a free pass not to do certain things. The important thing about the high press is it is only as strong as its weakest link. If one player if off then the press is easily passed and the team are hugely vulnerable. If Özil is unwilling (I won't say unable because of the point made above) then his position in the team would ultimately either harm the team and leave us too open or mean the manager cannot play his choice of tactics. We can't have that.
Far more talented players than Özil have managed to execute a high work rate and high press and carry out the manager's defensive plan whilst still delivering on their main creative or goal-scoring skills. Just look at any City or Liverpool forward player over the past 3 seasons

Post #517230  Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:36 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
But then again, these are some of the same fans who complained about Giroud's lack of pace as if he had some control over that.

Nobody expected Giroud to get quicker - what is detractors wanted was for us to replace him with a more speedy striker. Anyway, it's completely different to the Özil scenario, because Özil can control his pressing. Being able to press your opponent is a tactical thing you can learn, not some innate quiality you either have or don't have. Özil has decent pace. He reads the game better than most - if not all - players in our squad. If he's not pressing as well as Arteta wants, it's simply because he's not putting the effort in.

Post #517231  Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:17 pm 

Arsene, having heard of the growing discontentment on the Steve Gleiber forum, with American Gooner's comments apparantly being the last straw, bows to public pressure to weigh in on the growing/neverending debate:

Quote:
Speaking to Der Spiegel, Wenger said: “He wasn’t exactly the one with the greatest discipline on the pitch. And playing the game without the ball wasn’t exactly his forte. But you can deal with that if you put some more defensively minded players by his side. The main thing is to get the balance between attack and defence right.”

Wenger did sound a note of caution though, he added: “Players have lost their technical quality over the past 10 years.

“Athleticism has become more important than technique and decision making. It’s more about physical characteristics and intensity, about explosiveness. And it’s also about being a showman.”

https://www.football365.com/news/arsene ... mesut-ozil

Post #517232  Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:28 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I saw a stat this morning that Arsenal run more kilometres per match than any other Premiership side. From memory Liverpool were second. I strongly suspect Arsenal’s kilometres run would be significantly less had Özil been in the team this season.

There’s nothing to stop skilful or creative players working hard. Ceballos, Saka and Willian all do. That’s one of the important reasons why, in my view, Özil clearly isn’t part of Arteta’s plans this season.

Post #517233  Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:40 pm 

I saw Wenger’s quotes about the technical skill diminishing in footballers with more of a focus on physical attributes. I think he’s right and the evidence can be seen in the Premier League with the number of teams whose biggest threat is the counter attack or their biggest weakness is the counter attack.
City and Liverpool are both vulnerable to the counter
Arsenal under Arteta have used it as a great tactic, Spurs with quick forwards do it well and Man U’s good results at the back end of last year came from quick counters.
Even further down the league, Leicester have done it for years, wolves have had success with it and more and more teams are working towards this tactic, especially coupled with a high press. Southampton, Brighton, Leeds, villa all go for this tactic.
I wonder where this goes because we could get to a point where neither team actually wants the ball

Post #517234  Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:25 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I saw a stat this morning that Arsenal run more kilometres per match than any other Premiership side. From memory Liverpool were second. I strongly suspect Arsenal’s kilometres run would be significantly less had Özil been in the team this season.

There’s nothing to stop skilful or creative players working hard. Ceballos, Saka and Willian all do. That’s one of the important reasons why, in my view, Özil clearly isn’t part of Arteta’s plans this season.

That’s strange you say that because if I recall the stats are he covers a lot of klms per game. In fact in January I think there was a report that he covered more ground in the game against United than any other Arsenal player and I think this is not a one off.

Post #517235  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:07 am 

Rich wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I can't believe that any footballer is incapable of being able to learn a press, it is a bit of intelligence and a good level of fitness - you could teach it to a bunch of U14s. No player can come in with a certain skill set and just get a free pass not to do certain things. The important thing about the high press is it is only as strong as its weakest link. If one player if off then the press is easily passed and the team are hugely vulnerable. If Özil is unwilling (I won't say unable because of the point made above) then his position in the team would ultimately either harm the team and leave us too open or mean the manager cannot play his choice of tactics. We can't have that.
Far more talented players than Özil have managed to execute a high work rate and high press and carry out the manager's defensive plan whilst still delivering on their main creative or goal-scoring skills. Just look at any City or Liverpool forward player over the past 3 seasons

Özil is fully capable of it. But if you are building a team that plays that kind of football, Özil is the last person you think of to buy to adapt to it. He just doesn't want to do it and won't be committed to it. If you are 'stuck' with him already, you can try but will be better off selling him.

He did more defensive work with us than he's probably ever done prior and that wasn't enough.

Post #517236  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:35 am 

I know it seems strange to discuss our new signing on this Özil forum, but I have been thinking about how he will fit in.

At the onset I must say I am surprised as he does not seem to be the creative midfielder we were requiring. Partey appears to perfect for Xhaka position. He is more mobile and can break forward if required with an ability to beat players. All the things Xhaka lacks. Mind you Partey will need to hit the ground running. His age means that it will be difficult to make money on him which was supposed to be our objective as a club.

I would have thought we should go back to 4 at the back, getting rid of Luiz and use a combination of Elneny, Saka, Cellabos, M-N and Pépé to make up the midfield. Personally I would like us to try 442 or 451 as tactics but that doesn’t appear to be the modern way.

I have long been of the opinion that What Xhaka lacks requires other players to try and cover him. If Arteta intends to slide Partey in beside Xhaka I don’t understand how this would work and increase our creativity. Looking with interest at our next games.

Post #517237  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:17 am 

Quote:
Wenger did sound a note of caution though, he added: “Players have lost their technical quality over the past 10 years.

And during most of that 'past 10 years', he was in charge.

Post #517238  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:23 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
That’s strange you say that because if I recall the stats are he covers a lot of klms per game. In fact in January I think there was a report that he covered more ground in the game against United than any other Arsenal player and I think this is not a one off.

In 2017 the top two Arsenal players for average kilometres per game were Monreal and Xhaka. But don’t you criticise Xhaka’s lack of mobility?

Post #517239  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:23 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I know it seems strange to discuss our new signing on this Özil forum, but I have been thinking about how he will fit in.

At the onset I must say I am surprised as he does not seem to be the creative midfielder we were requiring. Partey appears to perfect for Xhaka position. He is more mobile and can break forward if required with an ability to beat players. All the things Xhaka lacks. Mind you Partey will need to hit the ground running. His age means that it will be difficult to make money on him which was supposed to be our objective as a club.

I would have thought we should go back to 4 at the back, getting rid of Luiz and use a combination of Elneny, Saka, Cellabos, M-N and Pépé to make up the midfield. Personally I would like us to try 442 or 451 as tactics but that doesn’t appear to be the modern way.

I have long been of the opinion that What Xhaka lacks requires other players to try and cover him. If Arteta intends to slide Partey in beside Xhaka I don’t understand how this would work and increase our creativity. Looking with interest at our next games.

Play with a midfield three of Xhaka, Partry and Ceballos instead of playing with 3 CBs? Or a front six of Partey, Ceballos, Saka, Wilian/Pépé, Aubameyang and Lacazette?

Post #517240  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:35 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

In 2017 the top two Arsenal players for average kilometres per game were Monreal and Xhaka. But don’t you criticise Xhaka’s lack of mobility?

I think there is a difference between the ability to cover large distances in a match and mobility. If a player just jogged non stop all game he'd likely cover the most distance of any player on the pitch, I see mobility as a more short distance thing, being able to get to the right position quick enough, it isn't necessarily to do with pace for me it is about being almost light on your feet and quickly covering space and danger. Xhaka doesn't have that mobility in a way that someone like Kante has

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12928, 12929, 12930, 12931, 12932, 12933, 12934 ... 14269  Next