Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 110 guests

Post #522081  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:58 am 

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/19/arsenal- ... wsnow-feed

Please get this done ASAP. Emile Smith Rowe has proven himself within a very short time, and has not shown any attitude about it.

Most importantly, stop messing around with the procrastination on giving out longer, and better, contracts to the deserving ones. We cannot afford to have so many run down when at the 1-year mark. And we start to lose initiative on the matter.

For me, Willian and Pépé can go sit and sulk on the substitutes bench. They have not shown enough drive and energy on the pitch.

Post #522082  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:28 am 

Going to the south coast to play Soton is rarely easy. My concerns are a loss will derail us a bit. I'm hoping we have more confidence than that.

Who should Arteta play? You want to respect the competition and the opposition. But we have Man Utd a week later and don't want to risk key players getting hurt.

I'm thinking defensive set up and try for a counter to grab a win assuming we don't get scored on first.

Post #522083  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:33 am 

This may sound like a silly question and perhaps it is but is Leicester City a 'legit' big club now? Or just going through a golden period?

Post #522084  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:49 am 

I’m not sure why I’m bothering to answer as he won’t read it, but it partly depends how ‘big’ is defined. I would group the size of clubs in England into groups. For me the size of a club will be influenced by a number of factors.

1) Fan base size (both national and international).
2) Trophies won, both in number and what was won (a Champions League win counts for more than a League Cup). More recent trophies will tend to count for more than something won in the year dot.
3) The status, newsworthiness or fame (factors that have to be intrinsically linked) of a club which will be influenced by not only it’s honours list and size of support but things like the newsworthiness of present and past players. An obvious example is the impact of Best and Beckham in growing Manchester United’s fan base and fame. I’d also say Kane has grown Tottenham’s fan base, as Son must have done in South Korea, but I suggest to a far smaller level than Best and Beckham did for Manchester United.
4) I will add the stadium (linked to things like size, fame and status) as impacting on the size of a club.
5) I also firmly believe the wealth of a club comes into its rating for size. That will affect it’s appeal to new signings, although won’t be the only things affecting its appeal to players or coaches.
6) From that previous point, as its own factor I will add the eagerness of players and managers at other clubs to consider joining them.

For me the biggest English clubs (as a group) are Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham. City and Chelsea get into the list because of their owner’s money (number 5), which has obviously had a knock on effect on things like trophies won (number 2), fan base size (number 1), and appeal to players (number 6). This shows the six factors overlap to an extent. Let me say not all clubs in each group will be as big as each other. For example, Manchester United are comfortably England’s biggest, even though City may currently have more spending power. Hence the six points have differing levels of importance.

The next level down, I see as clubs like Aston Villa, Everton, Newcastle, Leeds and West Ham.

Down from that are the likes of Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Sunderland, Southampton and Wolverhampton. Leicester have a way better team than Sheffield Wednesday but I put them in the same group as Wednesday are a big club, despite their poor team. Also I don’t see Leicester as big as any of Aston Villa, Everton, Newcastle, Leeds and West Ham.

Then come clubs such as Birmingham, Stoke, Brighton, Sheffield United, Fulham, Norwich, Ipswich, Crystal Palace, Portsmouth, West Bromwich, Middlesbrough and so on.

Below that are scores of clubs who will fall into various lesser categories. For example, Charlton and Millwall will be in a higher grouping than Scunthorpe or Doncaster.

I’ve no doubt forgotten many clubs who would get into any group except the first, and my groupings are my own personal opinion.

Post #522085  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:59 am 

In my time as a fan, I'll say Chelsea has become a 'big' club in what I deem big club as which others may disagree with and that's fair. Some of it is quantifiable and some of it isn't I think. Just like in the states.

It could be argued Tottenham is a big club for sure now. Domestically for sure. International, global recognition and stature is another matter.

Our stature has dropped. I'd have to think that any fan under 25 or possibly 30 would see us differently than another fan over 45 or 50.

Post #522086  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:57 am 

Bernard wrote:

A surprising outside bet for me are Leeds. I think they will stay up. However, when they were scoring for fun I was never convinced they were quite as good as some (like Ian Wright on MOTD) seemed to believe. Now they’re also conceding for fun. As I said, I think they will survive. Yet I see an outside bet on them going, if the odds are generous, as not a total waste of money.

I agree 100%. Have seen Leeds a few times and there is a little bit of the Emperor's new clothes about Bielsa. He has a mystique about him that seems to have hypnotised pundits and commentators alike. Leeds defence is very poor and when I see them play they always look like they could concede 3 or 4. They probably won't go down but it is not impossible.

Post #522087  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:13 am 

So half the season gone. What would be an acceptable return for the second half of the season. Given everyone was pointing out that we had all the tough games away from home early in the season I would have thought 35 points would be okay plus winning the Europa Cup to go into the CL.

Post #522088  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:18 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
So half the season gone. What would be an acceptable return for the second half of the season. Given everyone was pointing out that we had all the tough games away from home early in the season I would have thought 35 points would be okay plus winning the Europa Cup to go into the CL.

Winning the Europa League, as long as we also don’t go down, would make it better than acceptable. A mid-table finish and winning the FA Cup would be acceptable in my view. Winning the Europa League would make it very good, outstanding or excellent.

Post #522089  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:42 am 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/20/mesut-ozil-the-galactico-who-became-symbolic-of-arsenals-decline

Worth a read.

Post #522090  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:56 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Bernard wrote:

A surprising outside bet for me are Leeds. I think they will stay up. However, when they were scoring for fun I was never convinced they were quite as good as some (like Ian Wright on MOTD) seemed to believe. Now they’re also conceding for fun. As I said, I think they will survive. Yet I see an outside bet on them going, if the odds are generous, as not a total waste of money.

I agree 100%. Have seen Leeds a few times and there is a little bit of the Emperor's new clothes about Bielsa. He has a mystique about him that seems to have hypnotised pundits and commentators alike. Leeds defence is very poor and when I see them play they always look like they could concede 3 or 4. They probably won't go down but it is not impossible.

I think the problem Leeds have is that Bielsa's game-plan has always been to demand an ultra-high energy contribution from everyone. That seems to be why his teams tend to excel early on but then have trouble maintaining such an high tempo effort over the course of a full season. There's even a term for it - 'Bielsa burn-out'. Theory is that's why they blew up in a couple of recent promotion charges. Carney recently copped for plenty when she suggested that the only reason they did well last year was down to the forced suspension of the league which gave them a chance to recover and re-group. This season, the games will come thick and fast from here to the end. Leeds don't have a massive or indeed particularly high-quality squad. They could well be vulnerable.

Post #522091  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:48 pm 

Lots of reports we've agreed to terminate Sokratis contract and he will leave the club today. No word on where he is going.

I don't think he was a disaster, in fact I'm struggling to think of any really bad errors he made of games he cost us but we clearly need to move forward without him and his big wages so it seems like the best for all parties.

Sokratis, Özil and Kolasinac all gone - 1 space left in the squad for a non-home grown player and £550k per week shifted in wages, £14.3m for the next 6 months saved assuming there were no 'pay off' agreements.

Post #522092  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:12 pm 

I only know the actor, not the player. But I can see how he got his tough guy reputation by watching him play football.

Post #522093  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:17 pm 

I like Sokratis. Solid if not good. He squeezed all of his ability out of himself for us. Good luck to him.

Post #522094  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:35 pm 

No.5 shirt and No.10 shirt available.
Partey likes number 5 so I wonder if he might change to that.

We've only seen small bits of Partey but it feels like we have a player who can become one of the top 5 midfielders in the league. I cant think of many box-to-box central mids who I'd rather have from everyone in the prem. There are not many (if any) players we can say that about in our squad

Post #522095  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:22 pm 

Lukas Podolski..remember him? He's come out to say he's glad to see his compatriot, Özil, back in action in Turkey to play football again. Makes sense as Podolski is playing for Antalyaspoor in Turkey.

Post #522096  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:23 pm 

DHD wrote:

Beautifully written. Pretty much a final word on the Özil story really. Misguided but talented player but we let him down a little by not building round him

Post #522097  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:25 pm 

All the best on a good future for Papa Sokatris to Real Betis or wherever he chooses to play.

Post #522098  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:48 pm 

Zed wrote:
All the best on a good future for Papa Sokatris to Real Betis or wherever he chooses to play.

Sounds like we've paid up the remainder of his contract. We paid £17.6m plus salary for 44 games since July 2018. We're now paying him off, so no return on the transfer fee. Not great business, is it?

Actually, I never minded Sokratis. Wasn't his fault he wasn't a better player. Wasn't his fault he never played more games. Wasn't his fault we bought him. Wrong club, wrong time. Best of luck mate.

Post #522099  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:57 pm 

Leno is the only one left in the squad from the summer signings post Wenger, Leno, Sokratis, Lichsteiner, Guendouzi, Torreira.
Lichsteiner was a stop gap so not too many problems there. Sokratis money probably should have been put to a younger CB but we went down the route of chasing immediate re-entry to the champions league. Guendouzi may still have a future with us. I suppose Torreira is the most disappointing. Just seems ill suited to the pace and physicality of this league and was quite often never played in his best position. Hasn't started a game for Atletico since October. He needs to be sold back to Italy in the summer although I'm not sure how much of our £25m we'll get back. If we can get close to £20m then take it and run.

Post #522100  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:09 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I only know the actor, not the player. But I can see how he got his tough guy reputation by watching him play football.

Interesting viewing. Vinnie Jones may have been primarily a thug 'enforcer' but he wasn't a bad player. Popular inspirational captain for Leeds when they were promoted to the (then) first div. I think the second division was more his level.

I'd forgotten Laurie Cunningham was in the Wimbledon team. Archway lad who never made it with us as a lad but turned into a real talent later for WBA and Real Madrid. Sadly never got to the absolute top but most who saw him believed that he could have.

Post #522101  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:11 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Good old Daily Tottenham (Mirror) putting a spin on the interview
I read it as their usual spin to make it negative on our club, by taking the words out of context with the question and the tone in which they would said.
My view from seeing the video is he answered a direct question on AMN and saying he is the same as every other squad member and has to fight for a place in the team and we will rotate our squad as needed.

Post #522102  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:04 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

I read it as their usual spin to make it negative on our club, by taking the words out of context with the question and the tone in which they would said.
My view from seeing the video is he answered a direct question on AMN and saying he is the same as every other squad member and has to fight for a place in the team and we will rotate our squad as needed.

What’s your take on why AMN isn’t actually being played much Hodd ?

On the face of it he has more natural talent than Joe Willock or El Nenny or someone like that. Attitude ? His mum ?

Post #522103  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:15 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

What’s your take on why AMN isn’t actually being played much Hodd ?

On the face of it he has more natural talent than Joe Willock or El Nenny or someone like that. Attitude ? His mum ?

Not mum as she is no longer involved in his career directly
It's not like he hasn't been in the squad - at least until Monday, so I actually think its down to form and the fact that he is seen as more of a wing-back than a holding midfielder; that's due IMHO to the unbalanced squad we have.

Post #522104  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:27 pm 

Saw this online. Come this summer and in the past 3 years Arsenal have let go Sanchez, Ramsey, Özil, Cazorla, Wilshere, Sokratis, Mustafi, Mkhitaryan and Welbeck all for a total income of £0. We spent £190m on those players.

It is a toss up whether this or the extremely poor purchases is the biggest reason we are where we are right now.

Post #522105  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:36 pm 

Okay, thanks, so Vinnie Jones was known as a thug-ish type player? Archway story is interesting. I have some reading and videos now to look at.

Post #522106  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:34 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Okay, thanks, so Vinnie Jones was known as a thug-ish type player? Archway story is interesting. I have some reading and videos now to look at.

Not just a thug-ish player, he was THE thug-ish player. He could actually play as well but for a while I think players were genuinely scared when they played him. The rules on tackling were a lot different in his day though, he’d be sent off every game with today’s rules

I think Vinny Jones holds the record for quickest yellow card in a game at 4 seconds!

Post #522107  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:35 pm 

David Ornstein reporting we’re interested in and have made an approach for Martin Ødegaard on loan from Real Madrid. He was the 15 year old Norwegian Real signed under much fan fare some time back. Had 3 loans since, still a talented player, seems like he needs time away from Real Madrid to fulfil his potential

Post #522108  Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:23 pm 

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (who remembers him) scored the second half equaliser to get Livingston a 2-2 draw against Celtic, to take two points off Celtic. Good news for those, like me, who want Rangers to win the Scottish title.

Post #522109  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:23 am 

I have a political-ish question for the English on here. With regards to the MP of an area. Does he or she have any sway in brining in local projects? Or is that the mayor, borough council, etc?

For example a Senator or House of Representative member in the states with a certain amount of seniority/power can make deals to have a highway, bridge, built or benefits for local companies, and such.

Can an MP do similar things?

Post #522110  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:15 am 

Bernard wrote:
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (who remembers him) scored the second half equaliser to get Livingston a 2-2 draw against Celtic, to take two points off Celtic. Good news for those, like me, who want Rangers to win the Scottish title.

I, too, am rooting for Rangers. And only because it is boring to see Celtic win it all the time.

Post #522111  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:48 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Winning the Europa League, as long as we also don’t go down, would make it better than acceptable. A mid-table finish and winning the FA Cup would be acceptable in my view. Winning the Europa League would make it very good, outstanding or excellent.

Furthermore, I do think we're realistic contenders for the cups, given our defensive stability.

Fifth place, ahead of Spurs, would be most satisfactory!

Post #522112  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:55 am 

Decaf wrote:
Furthermore, I do think we're realistic contenders for the cups, given our defensive stability.

So do I. Both of them.

Post #522113  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:16 am 

I'm just hoping no one gets injured on Saturday. I would put key players staying fit even over a win. With all the big clubs still in the competition, I don't think there is much chance of winning. If we can avoid them with lucky ties and a few of them gets knocked out, then we have a shout like last season.

I'm also assuming if we can get to the semis with a little luck, we'd have solidified a bit as a squad. Again, we haven't seen Gabriel, Partey, Saka, Smith Rowe, Aubameyang, Martinelli, Tierney, play together on a regular basis. On any given day we can knock off one of the top of the league sides.

Post #522114  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:45 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I, too, am rooting for Rangers. And only because it is boring to see Celtic win it all the time.

I’m certainly not. Went to ibrox a few years ago for a friendly with us and was in the home end and was disgusted at the monkey noises every time one of our players touched the ball. Far from a minority

Since that day I’ve always wanted them to lose and even a lack of variation wouldn’t change that.

Post #522115  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:50 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

!

Sorry decaf you have just made reference to something positive there for Arteta when referencing our defensive stability. Therefore you need to counter it with something negative like “but I still don’t see a coherent plan”

Btw I agree

Post #522116  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:03 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I’m certainly not. Went to ibrox a few years ago for a friendly with us and was in the home end and was disgusted at the monkey noises every time one of our players touched the ball. Far from a minority

Since that day I’ve always wanted them to lose and even a lack of variation wouldn’t change that.

Have you been to Celtic away? I have, twice and once not in the away end. They’re hardly the most tolerant people either.

Post #522117  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Have you been to Celtic away? I have, twice and once not in the away end. They’re hardly the most tolerant people either.

Must admit my sympathies (though that’s the wrong word) tend towards Celtic largely because my mother was a Catholic and I was brought up in that faith as a child. Also because I was at that pre-season ‘friendly’ in the late ‘60s game that I mentioned recently and I witnessed the filthy, disgusting and moronic behaviour of the Rangers fans. In truth, I don’t have much time for either team, nor indeed for Scotland. Over the years I’ve visited most European countries but I managed to avoid Scotland. I considered it a sort of 'badge of honour' until a couple of years ago when I had a weekend in Edinburgh – which was mostly foreign tourists and very few scots. I shan't be rushing back.

A near neighbour back in the ‘60s was a black cab driver and of course a solid Arse man. Every year to coincide with the Home Internationals, the London and Glasgow Black Cab organisations would take turns to host a formal black tie dinner and dance at some posh venue for the football supporting cabbies from the two cities and their wives. They apparently went quite well until a wrong word or two led to a wild-west style drunken brawl, resulting in broken heads and ripped ballgowns and putting the kibosh forever on that well-intentioned but futile attempt at cultural interaction.

Post #522118  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I have and I agree.

Religious fundamentalism is stupid, pointless petty and their fan base seems to indulge in a lot of that posturing.

However publicly vilifying someone over their skin colour is pure evil, abhorrent and I hadn’t experienced that level of anger inside me before. What was even more remarkable was that this was at the time when Mark Walters was in their team I believe.

It will never leave me hence I want rangers to lose every single game they play.

Post #522119  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:11 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Over the years I’ve visited most European countries but I managed to avoid Scotland. I considered it a sort of 'badge of honour' until a couple of years ago when I had a weekend in Edinburgh – which was mostly foreign tourists and very few scots. I shan't be rushing back.

Found this comment quite sad really (dont mean this in a nasty way) I would suggest you reconsider as you get older. Scotland contains some beauty that other parts of the UK can’t compete with and Edinburgh as you said isn’t really Scotland. If you ever get the chance to visit the highlands I’d take it. If you still don’t like it at least you’ve got the whisky mate

Post #522120  Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:21 pm 

Arteta has said he has a 'solid idea' on who was leaking private information out of Arsenal to the media.
https://www.football365.com/news/arteta ... ed-destroy

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13050, 13051, 13052, 13053, 13054, 13055, 13056 ... 14269  Next