Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 98 guests

Post #514921  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:42 am 

Rich wrote:
If we're linked with a player I go and look who his agent is. Sergio Reguilon is the latest one linked and lo and behold his agent is Kia.
He's a Real Madrid left back - certainly an improvement on Kolasinac but the money should surely be invested in other areas of the team. If we don't sell AMN then we have Tierney, Saka, AMN and even Cédric can play LB and that if we sell Kolasinac and don't replace him.

Maybe KJ is just using Arsenal to drum up interest in the player? He is supposedly an Arsenal supporter - I hope he has the best interests of the club in his heart.

Post #514922  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:48 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Interesting that Coutinho scored two late goals for Bayern (where he’s on loan) last night against his parent club Barcelona. Wouldn’t be allowed in the Premier League where on loan players are not allowed to appear against their parent club. One obvious example was when Sheffield United weren’t allowed to select their on loan keeper Henderson last season against his parent club Manchester United.

Would it be allowed in other european domestic leagues? So if Coutinho was loaned to Valencia, could he play against Barca?
I assume if two english clubs drew each other in european competition the on loan player could play against his parent club.

Good question to which I don’t know the answer. Using your example, I haven’t got the faintest idea if Coutinho goes on loan to Valencia next season if he’d be able to play against Barcelona in the Spanish league. My guess is that he would be, but that’s no more than a guess. I would fully expect that if a player was on loan from one English club to another and the clubs were drawn against each other in a European competition, he would be allowed to play against his parent club.

I don’t know for sure, but say Manchester United and Sheffield United had both been in the Europa League this season and they were drawn against each other, I’d be very surprised if Henderson wouldn’t have been allowed to play for Sheffield United.

Post #514923  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:04 am 

Rich wrote:
In the Barca v Bayern game last night there were 10 goals, 7 subs, 2 VAR reviews and only a total of 2 minutes added on time for 1st and 2nd half combined.
I know it is a small thing to complain about but it consistently happens in games where the score is a foregone conclusion there will be hardly any added on time but in games where there is only 1 goal in it I guarantee there will be a lot more added on time.

Hi Rich. To be honest I can see the sense in not really bothering with injury time in such cases. Last night when Bayern were 8-2 up, what was the point in adding on the injury time that truly reflected the time lost to injuries, substitutions and whatever? If the lead had been one or two goals, yes add it on. But realistically Barcelona were never going to score six in another four or five minutes.

The only person who might have liked to see the true time added on is Coutinho to give him a chance of getting his hat trick. But he probably wasn’t bothered.

Post #514924  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:10 am 

Sanllehi has gone. About bloody time.

Post #514925  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:10 am 

Sanllehi has GONE!

https://www.arsenal.com/news/club-update

Post #514926  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:29 am 

I read today (not sure if true) that as part of the Countinho deal from Liverpool to Barca, Barca have to pay Liverpool £4.5m if Coutinho wins the Champions League whilst under contract at Barca.....BUT it doesn't stipulate that he has to win it with Barca. So Coutinho could win it with Bayern this year and Barca have to pay Liverpool £4.5m for the privilege.

I still think there is a good chance Coutinho ends up at Arsenal on loan this summer. I'd welcome him, I think there is always something interesting about a player with obvious quality but for whom it didn't quite work at his last massive move. Coutinho was always playing 2nd...3rd/4th fiddle in that Barca side, but at Arsenal he could be the main creative force. If our general plan this summer is to invest in proven quality in attacking positions on knock down prices and loans so that we can invest the money we do have in defensive and central midfield positions who we hope will be long term Arsenal players that seems totally sensible to me.

Post #514927  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:36 am 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
It isn't, it's a bad interpretation of even worse journalism. The original article mentioning the 220k per week thing even stated that the basic wage is 100k, and 220k is the figure they arrived to after dividing the signing on fee over the length of the contract and adding potential(key word) bonuses. That figure is now being compared to other players basic wages without adding their bonuses and signing on fees.

It is click bait and inflammatory journalism. Willian on a pay decrease from Chelsea doesn’t make headlines or get clicks, so let’s put his signing on fee and all his bonuses and call that his weekly wage so it rules up Arsenal fans.
I don’t mind players topping up wages with big bonuses or bonuses for winning things. If Arsenal are winning trophies then the bonuses are justified

Big numbers to sell papers journalism 101. Here in Aus last week "Aussies hoard 9 Billion in cash due to Covid!". Quick check..that's erm $360 per person.

Post #514928  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:38 am 

Rich wrote:

The sugar coated club statement with everyone thanking everyone else, fawning about the Arsenal 'family' is hilarious. For a bloke who's apparently been given the boot for, shall we say, financial impropriety.

Post #514929  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:43 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

The sugar coated club statement with everyone thanking everyone else, fawning about the Arsenal 'family' is hilarious. For a bloke who's apparently been given the boot for, shall we say, financial impropriety.

Your right. It is an absolutely ridiculous statement, trying to spin it. Should have been 2 sentences.

Wrote on here a while back I couldn’t see him last long and he struck me as a fly by the night appointment who lives in a world of backslapping and cash for mates.

I do wonder what the problem was specifically about the Pépé transfer and if it will ever come to light what happened.

Post #514930  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:51 am 

Rich wrote:

Translation? What happened, basically.

Post #514931  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:55 am 

Non football, apologies but this Covid 19 related effects is scary.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/covid-1 ... 33981.html

Post #514932  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:59 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

And we should be greatly encouraged with the appointment of yet another bean counter with zero leadership skills. Not to mention his incredible marketing and sales expertise that led to 'visit rwanda'. Seems like a total ass kissing puppet.

Post #514933  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:59 am 

In bonkers transfers world Bournemouth have accepted £18.5m bid from Sheff Utd for their GK Aaron Ramsdale.

Makes you wonder what we 'should' be pricing one of our 2 GK's at if we decide we can't have that sort of asset on the bench or the one who isn't No.1 wants to leave. We'd get more money for Leno (I'd be starting at £50m if a big club wanted him but not selling to an English team) but Martinez is probably at his peak value right now.

Post #514934  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:07 pm 

Sanllehi was of course an appointment by Gazidis. Ivan was a walking disaster who could talk himself into jobs and stay in them via the gift of the gab. He could talk the hind legs off a donkey without saying anything remotely worthwhile. Good riddance.

Post #514935  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:55 pm 

The Tim Lewis announcement July 1, he indicated he would help to take the club forward at this critical time.
This Sanllehi departure may be part of that critical time. C19 aside.

Post #514936  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:12 pm 

Seeing Barca get demolished by a ruthless Bayern side was another reminder of how even the biggest most successful teams have to be constantly thinking ahead and preparing for their next team.
Barcelona have been reliant on Messi for too long and had that brilliant group that all came together at relatively similar ages, now they're dropping away and Barca aren't replacing them. Or at least they have been trying to replace them but have been spending their money on older players or far too much money on players nowhere near good enough.

It is a very delicate balance, it feels like something similar happened with us after the invincibles who broke up far too quickly. I also suppose this is where you have to hand it to Ferguson who constantly evolved Man U so there was never really much of a lull between great teams.

Looking at Bayern, they needed to replace players like Ribery, Robben, Lahm and did so by bringing in great young players like Gnabry, Coman, Kimmich but that next wave of senior players took over, players like Muller, Lewandowski, Neuer. Soon they will be looking to replace this batch of senior players but the ones who are 25 or so now then take over from them - whilst in the wings they have these fantastic young talents like Alfonso Davies. A line of 24/25 players in Hernandez, Pavard, Goretzka but still with the experience of Boateng, Alaba, Martinez, Thiago. They've already signed 24 year old Sane for £45m which seems a good deal, got a young GK in for a Neuer replacement and another exciting young player coming through the academy Zirkzee. They really are the model to follow at the moment, and they've done all that on £150m net spend over the last 5 seasons which I'm sure is comfotrably less than us.

I actually tentatively look at Liverpool and think this is their challenge. They may keep all that team together for next year and still be successful but how to they replace that front 3? They are all 28, so a few years yet but they could all decline at the same time.Henderson, Winaldum, Van Dijk are all 29/30. Obviously Trent Alexander/Arnold is a talent in a generation but I don't quite see the group at 23-25 who are going to take over in terms of quality and leadership from that age group above.

So then I look at Arsenal's squad, and just putting aside the quality and just looking at the age balance through the team and it is not bad. It is why I think signing a 32 year old Willian isn't a big issue in terms of age. We have 5 in the the 30+ brigade of which we're trying to move on two (Sokratis and Özil) a bunch of players in the mid/peak age but also some very good players in that good sub 23 age bracket that you want to see us building a team around Tierney, Saka, Martinelli, Saliba

Post #514937  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:22 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

And we should be greatly encouraged with the appointment of yet another bean counter with zero leadership skills. Not to mention his incredible marketing and sales expertise that led to 'visit rwanda'. Seems like a total ass kissing puppet.

With regards to your last statement, WITHOUT A DOUBT!

Post #514938  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Seeing Barca get demolished by a ruthless Bayern side was another reminder of how even the biggest most successful teams have to be constantly thinking ahead and preparing for their next team.
Barcelona have been reliant on Messi for too long and had that brilliant group that all came together at relatively similar ages, now they're dropping away and Barca aren't replacing them. Or at least they have been trying to replace them but have been spending their money on older players or far too much money on players nowhere near good enough.

It is a very delicate balance, it feels like something similar happened with us after the invincibles who broke up far too quickly. I also suppose this is where you have to hand it to Ferguson who constantly evolved Man U so there was never really much of a lull between great teams.

Looking at Bayern, they needed to replace players like Ribery, Robben, Lahm and did so by bringing in great young players like Gnabry, Coman, Kimmich but that next wave of senior players took over, players like Muller, Lewandowski, Neuer. Soon they will be looking to replace this batch of senior players but the ones who are 25 or so now then take over from them - whilst in the wings they have these fantastic young talents like Alfonso Davies. A line of 24/25 players in Hernandez, Pavard, Goretzka but still with the experience of Boateng, Alaba, Martinez, Thiago. They've already signed 24 year old Sane for £45m which seems a good deal, got a young GK in for a Neuer replacement and another exciting young player coming through the academy Zirkzee. They really are the model to follow at the moment, and they've done all that on £150m net spend over the last 5 seasons which I'm sure is comfotrably less than us.

I actually tentatively look at Liverpool and think this is their challenge. They may keep all that team together for next year and still be successful but how to they replace that front 3? They are all 28, so a few years yet but they could all decline at the same time.Henderson, Winaldum, Van Dijk are all 29/30. Obviously Trent Alexander/Arnold is a talent in a generation but I don't quite see the group at 23-25 who are going to take over in terms of quality and leadership from that age group above.

So then I look at Arsenal's squad, and just putting aside the quality and just looking at the age balance through the team and it is not bad. It is why I think signing a 32 year old Willian isn't a big issue in terms of age. We have 5 in the the 30+ brigade of which we're trying to move on two (Sokratis and Özil) a bunch of players in the mid/peak age but also some very good players in that good sub 23 age bracket that you want to see us building a team around Tierney, Saka, Martinelli, Saliba

Hi Rich,

I think that the Bayern game just re-emphasised, if it needed re-emphasising, the importance of power, pace and athleticism in the modern game. Together with players prepared to work hard in and out of possession.

The great Barca sides of a few seasons ago had a midfield so technically gifted (Xavi, Iniesta etc) that you couldn't get the ball off them, a genius up front and players prepared to work incredibly hard with and without the ball. Even then they still had the odd powerhouse like Toure. Incredible ball retention made it difficult to hurt them and get at their suspect back four, but once there was a drop-off in quality in that midfield they suddenly became more vulnerable, opposing teams had more of the ball and were good enough to exploit their weaknesses. It's no coincidence that Barca haven't won the CL for several years now.

The tika taka system looked great for a while but the truth is that you need technically elite players to play it, especially in the PL. We tried it and failed because our players were not quite good enough technically and their physical limitations were constantly exposed. City have had great success with a modified version of it but their players were mostly technically elite and they had one of the world's best CBs and CFs.

I don't believe that we will get back amongst europe's top sides until we introduce more power, pace and athleticism into the side.

Post #514939  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:52 pm 

The writing has been on the wall for Barca for some time. Messi has papered over some huge cracks. The defeat to Roma 2 years ago was the warning sign. Remember Messi going nuts that Demebele missed a chance to make it 4-0 in the game against Liverpool at Camp Nou. He knew. The heart of this team is rubbish. Busquets was a brilliant DM but he is well past it. Rakitic is old. Vidal...clown of a player. They didn't learn from the Coutinho disaster. Last summer, they needed to strengthen central midfield and defence. They had Messi, Suarez and Dembele yet they went and spent a fortune on Griezmann. Hopeless management. Big, big restructure needed.

Post #514940  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:35 pm 

Puts a few things into perspective. With Sanllehi gone, could possibly strangle Kia's involvement much.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theshortfu ... ffs-scouts

Post #514941  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:45 pm 

dec wrote:
The writing has been on the wall for Barca for some time. Messi has papered over some huge cracks. The defeat to Roma 2 years ago was the warning sign. Remember Messi going nuts that Demebele missed a chance to make it 4-0 in the game against Liverpool at Camp Nou. He knew. The heart of this team is rubbish. Busquets was a brilliant DM but he is well past it. Rakitic is old. Vidal...clown of a player. They didn't learn from the Coutinho disaster. Last summer, they needed to strengthen central midfield and defence. They had Messi, Suarez and Dembele yet they went and spent a fortune on Griezmann. Hopeless management. Big, big restructure needed.

Tbf they also bought Frenkie de Jong as well who was as fought over as any young player has been for a while. They’ve spent €800million over the past few years on signings, they’ve just not worked or not been allowed to work because they’ve not transitioned out the old guard properly. De Jong can’t play in his preferred position because Busquests is in his way. They bought Dembele and Umtiti who had they worked could have been the future of both the defence and attack. Losing Thiago was a disaster for them also. Identifying good players is just one part of the process, and genius often looks like luck in hindsight, and vice versa, the train of world class players out of la Masia 10-20 years ago is one of those things, and they probably thought it would just last forever. They’ve had the humbling of a lifetime.

Post #514942  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:34 pm 

Am I alone in thinking they should keep the single elimination format for the Champions League going forward? I know it's not going to happen, there would be money issues associated with playing in neutral stadiums, and the big clubs would never agree...but to me, it makes the tournament feel more alive. Look at how close Atalanta came to knocking PSG out. In a two-legged tie it wouldn't have mattered if they managed to win 1-0, because they would've gotten spanked in the second leg anyway, but now all you need are those 90 hard fought minutes. It increases the chance for big upsets and makes the tournament as a whole more exciting in my view.

Post #514943  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:58 pm 

socrates wrote:

I don't believe that we will get back amongst europe's top sides until we introduce more power, pace and athleticism into the side.

Echoes my thoughts exactly

Post #514944  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:03 pm 

Apparently Martinez has said he has 10 clubs across Europe following him.
If we make Martinez the No.2 and in effect force him to stay his value goes down and he’s unlikely to sign a new deal. As much as every club wants 2 great GK it isn’t practical for us to have that much money on the bench. Martinez’s value will never be higher right now, if we can start a bidding war and generate £25m plus we should go for it.

The options are:
Leno, Martinez and no new CB or
Leno, new cheap gk (young or old) and a new £25m CB

Post #514945  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:47 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Am I alone in thinking they should keep the single elimination format for the Champions League going forward? I know it's not going to happen, there would be money issues associated with playing in neutral stadiums, and the big clubs would never agree...but to me, it makes the tournament feel more alive. Look at how close Atalanta came to knocking PSG out. In a two-legged tie it wouldn't have mattered if they managed to win 1-0, because they would've gotten spanked in the second leg anyway, but now all you need are those 90 hard fought minutes. It increases the chance for big upsets and makes the tournament as a whole more exciting in my view.

I agree it’s more exciting as a neutral to have one off games - City 1 down to Lyon and it’s pretty compelling. And with no crowds allowed it makes sense financially. But when fans are back money comes into it, and as well you would want your team to have home games. The two leg format would have to return.

Post #514946  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:38 pm 

Good grief McManaman... had to take a break from the city cheerleading in their game against Lyon. Walker up to his old tricks pulling and pushing as a player goes past him into the box and goes down, Macca and the other dingbat fair howling for a yellow card for diving. Come on Lyon!! Allez Lez Leons or whatever animal that is on your badge!

Post #514947  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:41 pm 

Lyon back in front!!

Post #514948  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:42 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
I agree it’s more exciting as a neutral to have one off games - City 1 down to Lyon and it’s pretty compelling.

Sadly City have equalised. I’ve always had a soft spot for City (probably because they’re from Manchester and don’t have United in their name), but my firm hope for this competition is that Bayern win it. I simply think Bayern are more likely to beat Lyon than City.

Post #514949  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:42 pm 

i would have sworn that was offside.......................

Post #514950  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:46 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Lyon back in front!!

Bloody hell, that was quick. Not watching the game and didn’t check the latest score to write my last post.

Post #514951  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:46 pm 

3-1!! City out. Dramatic stuff.

Post #514952  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:48 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
I agree it’s more exciting as a neutral to have one off games - City 1 down to Lyon and it’s pretty compelling.

Sadly City have equalised. I’ve always had a soft spot for City (probably because they’re from Manchester and don’t have United in their name), but my firm hope for this competition is that Bayern win it. I simply think Bayern are more likely to beat Lyon than City.

Your boys v Lyon now Bernard.

Post #514953  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:50 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
3-1!! City out. Dramatic stuff.

Looks good. But only two behind I think, going back to my chat with Rich, for fairness they should add the right injury time on. Two is doable in injury time.

Post #514954  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:56 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Your boys v Lyon now Bernard.

At least if Lyon beat my second team, our friend from across the Atlantic won’t have any excuses for droning on about how he hates Bayern for losing to them.

Post #514955  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:00 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

At least if Lyon beat my second team, our friend from across the Atlantic won’t have any excuses for droning on about how he hates Bayern for losing to them.

Since I blocked him Bernard I've enjoyed the forum much more. I only see his posts if somebody replies to him, which is not very often.

Post #514956  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:00 pm 

Amazing result. Sterling showing his lack of technique that cost them against us. Again a tiki taka style side done by a more direct countering team.

Post #514957  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:00 pm 

Wow check out Sterling’s open goal miss that would have made it 2-2 in the 86th minute. 60 seconds later they are 3-1 down. I’m delighted

Post #514958  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:01 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Since I blocked him Bernard I've enjoyed the forum much more. I only see his posts if somebody replies to him, which is not very often.

Can recommend

Post #514959  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:14 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I try to remember to call him our friend from across the Atlantic in case he uses some sort of search facility that enables people using the term American to be spotted. I’m not sure he did, but I seem to recall him saying something that gave me the impression he did.

I reckon he gets turned on by attention. Probably why he hates Mustafi so much if his bird ignores him to shag Shkodran instead. I’ll stick a written smiley in here to avoid confusion.

Post #514960  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:15 pm 

Rich wrote:
Wow check out Sterling’s open goal miss that would have made it 2-2 in the 86th minute. 60 seconds later they are 3-1 down. I’m delighted

Ederson is such an overrated keeper in my view. Great with his feet, possibly better than any other goalkeeper, but so many flaws in the rest of his game. That third goal is his, and it killed the game for them. Would pick both Leno and Martinez ahead of him, both are good enough with their feet and much better at actually stopping the ball from going in.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12871, 12872, 12873, 12874, 12875, 12876, 12877 ... 14269  Next