Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 120 guests

Post #512121  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:01 am 

I agree with all that you say Bernard. I had been keen for football to restart but that was a while ago. The various scenarios being proposed are all deeply flawed.

This latest one is flawed and uninteresting.

Post #512122  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:19 am 

Seriously, just bin the season off. It's done and ultimately football is such an irrelevance in the bigger picture, it shouldn't even be a talking point. It's pretty naff that this is even being discussed tbh. None of this is about human welfare or doing the right thing. This is simply all about money.

Post #512123  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:18 am 

Darren wrote:
Seriously, just bin the season off. It's done and ultimately football is such an irrelevance in the bigger picture, it shouldn't even be a talking point. It's pretty naff that this is even being discussed tbh. None of this is about human welfare or doing the right thing. This is simply all about money.

Couldn't agree more.

Post #512124  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:46 am 

What's the point of scrabbling for a European place when there's no guarantee that all European federations will want or will allow their clubs to take part - or are yet in a position to decide? Which club - which league - can guarantee they will fulfil next season's fixtures? Which country can guarantee there won't be new breakouts of the virus?

Draw a line under this misbegotten season. Give the win to Liverpool - who cares, it will always have an asterisk. No relegation. WBA & Leeds to come up. 42 games next year. 4 down for the following two seasons.

If there must be European football, award the places on a points-per-game basis now, ditch the *%^@ cup for Prem Clubs, no replays or extra time in the FA Cup.

Post #512125  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:54 am 

DHD wrote:
Darren wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

yep, nailed it

Post #512126  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:18 pm 

It's a right old pickle. The clubs are at odds with the neutral venues, well some of them are. No relegation even if all games played. Good luck to those in charge of making the decision.

Then you have UEFA with their own agenda. Will planes be off the ground in July for the preliminaries? I would suggest having a trimmed down CL, maybe top two only per league, top one in the lesser leagues qualifying and ditching the Europa Cup.

It's a given that they will do away with FA Cup replays for all rounds. Get them done and dusted on the day. I would keep the extra time though then pens if required.

The FA Chairman is saying he can't see fans returning any time soon and that the 20-21 season could be played behind closed doors.

Post #512127  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:17 pm 

What would be great would be a return to the days when sport was sport rather than business. Footballers earning an average wage, going to the game on the bus and having a pint with the supporters after the game. No overlap between the football and cricket seasons so players could do both in Denis Compton fashion. Teams stocked with local lads save the occasional hard nut Irishman, fancy Dan Scot or tousle-haired Welshman. All foreign football should be banned from the telly except for the World Cup so you'd get to see players you'd only read about. Bovril and orange segments all round. No club doctors, just a bloke with a magic sponge. Cup Final live on telly, Big Match, 3 game Match of the day, and Sportsnight otherwise. Foreign owners banned.

Post #512128  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:53 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
What would be great would be a return to the days when sport was sport rather than business. Footballers earning an average wage, going to the game on the bus and having a pint with the supporters after the game. No overlap between the football and cricket seasons so players could do both in Denis Compton fashion. Teams stocked with local lads save the occasional hard nut Irishman, fancy Dan Scot or tousle-haired Welshman. All foreign football should be banned from the telly except for the World Cup so you'd get to see players you'd only read about. Bovril and orange segments all round. No club doctors, just a bloke with a magic sponge. Cup Final live on telly, Big Match, 3 game Match of the day, and Sportsnight otherwise. Foreign owners banned.

Seriously, Brom, Denis Compton? Football was going swimmingly until Denis sold his soul to Brylcreem for thruppence ha'penny.

Post #512129  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:59 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Seriously, Brom, Denis Compton? Football was going swimmingly until Denis sold his soul to Brylcreem for thruppence ha'penny.

Fair point McQuilkie, I didn't think that one through. The Brylcreem contract was the start of the slippery slope.

Post #512130  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:25 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

...jumpers for goalposts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeRoSFZWbs

Post #512131  Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:51 pm 

DHD wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

...jumpers for goalposts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NeRoSFZWbs

Rush goalies! Takes me back.

Post #512132  Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:31 am 

Transparently Arsenal's match day income accounts for nearly 25% of our total income. The other 'big' clubs are around 15-17%
Our match day income is broadly similar to Liverpool and Spurs, £1m per game more than Chelsea and about £1m less per game than Man U.
Shows that we need to be doing far more with the other aspects of the club, both commercial deals and transfer deals.

Games behind closed doors, or even no games so no match day income have the potential to affect Arsenal the most

Post #512133  Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:14 am 

Please all of you on this Forum, keep well and safe! Hopefully it will be over soon! Any of you who have
lost love ones in this terrible tragedy, please except our greatest sympathy! The Gleiber family

Post #512134  Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:53 am 

Judith wrote:
Please all of you on this Forum, keep well and safe! Hopefully it will be over soon! Any of you who have
lost love ones in this terrible tragedy, please except our greatest sympathy! The Gleiber family

Very best wishes to you and all the Gleiber family Judith.

Post #512135  Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:20 pm 

Darren wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Top level football is about as irrelevant a human activity as you can imagine right now. The game itself is beautiful though. I watched a dad and his two kids kicking about in the park this morning. Lots of laughter and fun. Almost forgot myself and joined in!

Anyway, happy music time - enjoy these inspirational voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nd4j6yw3lc

Post #512136  Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:48 am 

Judith wrote:

Thank you and please remain vigilant in staying safe during this crisis.

Post #512137  Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:38 am 

Judith wrote:

Thank you Judith
Best wishes to you and the family - stay safe

Post #512138  Posted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:13 pm 

If only Arsenal had kept this. It could have come in useful for the foreseeable future.

http://barrettsonthisday.anorak.co.uk/u ... eiled.html

Post #512139  Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:05 am 

:icon_mrgreen:

Attachments:

Post #512140  Posted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:06 am 

Perhaps Özil had a point after all?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... 986227.amp

Post #512141  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:02 am 

I think if the UK goes 2 years without another wave of the virus, things will go back to normal in terms of crowds, support, etc.

I say that using the 1918 pandemic as historical reference. The Spanish Flu was far, far more destructive in loss lives than Covid 19. Far more. Fans filled Wembley to the brim for the FA cup in the 20s when it first opened in '23. Prior to that the 1920 FA Cup at Stamford Bridge was well attended.

So, that in mind, with science being much better. As long as the disease isn't an annual event, things should go back to normal.

Post #512142  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:41 am 

Seems Santi wants to return. At 35 and with his injury record with us, I'd rather give that pay and position to someone else. I love Santi. Wish he had stayed healthy and contributed more. Which brings up something else. He couldn't tie his boots without hurting himself with us and the minute he goes back to Spain he has the recuperative power of Wolverine. Something isn't right.

Post #512143  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:46 am 

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/07/arsenal- ... wsnow-feed
Arsenal set to complete deal for winger George Lewis

Post #512144  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:15 am 

Concerning report from Italy about players testing positive and of more concern one player for the second time.

https://www.thenational.ae/sport/footba ... -1.1016484

Post #512145  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:42 am 

Wilson, Rice, McNab, Storey, McLintock, Simpson, Armstrong, Graham, Radford, Kennedy, George, Kelly.

Happy Double Day

Post #512146  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:58 am 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
Wilson, Rice, McNab, Storey, McLintock, Simpson, Armstrong, Graham, Radford, Kennedy, George, Kelly.

Happy Double Day

50 years ago next year. Blimey, I still remember all the goals, even Heighway’s one. Other things I remember is that our seats were right next to the Liverpool terrace, so the opposite end to the goal where Charlie scored. As season ticket holders we had got them from Arsenal, so all the people round us were our fans. These days the two ends roughly coincide with the half way line both sides of the pitch. Strange that wasn’t the case back then.

Another thing I remember is my dad (I was a young kid at the time) telling me during the game that we would end up winning. He thought the balance of the play was very much in our favour pretty well throughout the match. Can’t recall the point at which he told me that, but he became more confident about the outcome once the final progressed, well before any of the goals went in.

Were you at school at the time? Bet there were loads of disappointed Liverpool fans on the Monday. Were the Everton fans pleased?

Post #512147  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:11 am 

Just about my first memory as a football fan. Was too young for Fairs Cup. But an extra year allowed me some memories.

All Everton fans are very happy when Liverpool get beaten.

Went to visit a friend who is recovering from a serious stroke a few weeks ago. I stood at his front gate and wished him well through the window of his house. He is a big Everton fan and his first words to me were that he hoped the season would not restart to stop Liverpool winning the title. The thought of all Liverpool fans missing out on the title brought a huge grin to his face. I knew then he had a good chance of a full recovery.

Post #512148  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:14 am 

On Saturday afternoons at 5.00 pm, ITV are showing FA Cup Classics (the programme has that name). Tomorrow is the second of the series. Last Saturday’s was the 1987 final when Coventry beat Tottenham. Still my favourite FA Cup final that Arsenal didn’t win.

Anyway, tomorrow’s one is the 1979 final when we beat Manchester United 3-2 after letting them get back to 2-2 after we had a 2-0 lead quite late in the game. My favourite ever cup final.

One thing that game brought home to me was the huge support United have. There were loads of their fans in the Arsenal end. Wasn’t the case in 2005, but it was in 1979.

Post #512149  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:20 am 

Wirral Gooner wrote:
Just about my first memory as a football fan. Was too young for Fairs Cup. But an extra year allowed me some memories.

Went to visit a friend who is recovering from a serious stroke a few weeks ago. I stood at his front gate and wished him well through the window of his house. He is a big Everton fan and his first words to me were that he hoped the season would not restart to stop Liverpool winning the title. The thought of all Liverpool fans missing out on the title brought a huge grin to his face. I knew then he had a good chance of a full recovery.

Good story. Like him, I hope the whole season is declared null and void.

Post #512150  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:32 pm 

3 classic Arsenal games on Sky this afternoon. Man U at Highbury 97 on at the minute. Arsenal 2 nil up!

Post #512151  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:38 pm 

Wirral Gooner wrote:

It's one thing to be happy when a rival is beaten. To 'grin' when when your rivals are deprived in these circumstances seems positively ghoulish, frankly.

Post #512152  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:00 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:

It's one thing to be happy when a rival is beaten. To 'grin' when when your rivals are deprived in these circumstances seems positively ghoulish, frankly.

To me ‘deprived’ should mean things like not being able to afford food and drink, being imprisoned for a crime you didn’t commit, and so on. I don’t honestly think calling a season off under current circumstances if it means sides that probably (not definitely) would have won leagues or been promoted won’t enjoy such successes, hardly warrants the word deprived. Let alone wanting that to happen to annoy arguably the most up their own arses fans in the country deserving to be seen as ghoulish.

Post #512153  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:12 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:

He had nearly died and he was trying to get some pleasure from wherever he could. I would imagine most Everton fans are also hoping the season is voided. I do not think ghoulish is the word he would be thinking of. It was just great to see him alive and being able to consider something else other than the
long recovery from his very serious stroke

Post #512154  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:31 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:

Rubbish Decaf. Football is all about rivalry. Were Tottenham deprived of their first title since 61 I would be grinning.

Post #512155  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:32 pm 

Niall wrote:
3 classic Arsenal games on Sky this afternoon. Man U at Highbury 97 on at the minute. Arsenal 2 nil up!

Is that the game where Mustafi gives up the equalizer? :15laughter:

Post #512156  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:41 pm 

I definitely think so and I think Wenger was being petty when Anelka wanted to come back. Wenger is a legend but he has on occasion acted against what was best for Arsenal and what appeased his ego.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... a-21978579
Martin Keown claims Nicolas Anelka could have done what Thierry Henry did at Arsenal

Post #512157  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:52 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Niall wrote:

Is that the game where Mustafi gives up the equalizer? :15laughter:

At least someone thinks your jokes are funny, even if it’s only you.

Post #512158  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Wirral Gooner wrote:

Happy Double Day

50 years ago next year. Blimey, I still remember all the goals, even Heighway’s one. Other things I remember is that our seats were right next to the Liverpool terrace, so the opposite end to the goal where Charlie scored. As season ticket holders we had got them from Arsenal, so all the people round us were our fans. These days the two ends roughly coincide with the half way line both sides of the pitch. Strange that wasn’t the case back then.

Another thing I remember is my dad (I was a young kid at the time) telling me during the game that we would end up winning. He thought the balance of the play was very much in our favour pretty well throughout the match. Can’t recall the point at which he told me that, but he became more confident about the outcome once the final progressed, well before any of the goals went in.

Were you at school at the time? Bet there were loads of disappointed Liverpool fans on the Monday. Were the Everton fans pleased?

Baking hot that day at Wembley. From memory it wasn’t much of a spectacle but we were the better team throughout normal time.
I still have my rosette I wore to Wembley that day!

Post #512159  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:33 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I definitely think so and I think Wenger was being petty when Anelka wanted to come back. Wenger is a legend but he has on occasion acted against what was best for Arsenal and what appeased his ego.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... a-21978579
Martin Keown claims Nicolas Anelka could have done what Thierry Henry did at Arsenal

Truth is the much-travelled Anelka never got anywhere near the achievements of Henry. After he left Arsenal he played for enough very big clubs to have done so, but fell well short of his potential. He was a tremendous young talent, and Keown might be right about him being a great at Arsenal, but the player chose to part ways too quickly. As his own words indicate, he was vindictive towards the fans, which was immature.

"When I started the season there was a poll because I had taken the place of Ian Wright. I thought the fans really wanted it to be me and were pleased with me. But seeing the result in the papers and on TV hit me hard because I had done things for nothing. I thought 'So that’s how it is. This is how you thank me. Okay now you watch what is going to happen. I am going to play, score my goals and just when you are saying Anelka, Anelka that’s when I’m going to leave'. And that is exactly what I did, because I was furious with them."

Or, more likely, his brother got him a massive contract at Real Madrid which he couldn't ignore. Either way Anelka was not hard done by ever by Arsenal or our fans.

As for knocking Arsene Wenger don't forget he made Anelka - put him in the team at 17 and gave him every chance to become an Arsenal legend. Although there is not a big age difference beween them Henry was far more mature as an individual, and a million miles more of a team man. That, rather than pettiness or ego, is probably what led to Arsene's disinterest when Anelka's gravy train pulled into the Premiership station a few years later.

Post #512160  Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:07 pm 

Currently 0-0 at Old Trafford in 2002. Both Ljungberg and Wiltord looking lively on the break.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12801, 12802, 12803, 12804, 12805, 12806, 12807 ... 14269  Next