Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 81 guests

Post #519801  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Do people believe Pochettino would touch arsenal with a barge pole :laughing7:

Allegri already turned us down because he said we would need a 150 million investment to compete.

Darren’s right we are a basket case right now and our fans are refusing to believe reality

Yep, no chance of Poch or Allegri. But we do need to take a leaf from Poch's book when it comes to signings. There was no way Spurs could go for £50m players on £200k a week, it would have been a ridiculously high risk strategy to try to take them in to the top 4 and beyond. Instead these are the players Poch signed:
Alderweireld £14m, Davies £11m, Alli £5m, Trippier £4m, Wanyama £12m, Sissoko £30m - all those from english clubs, usually the best player at each of the clubs they were sold from and they moved up a step, and all at the right age bracket
Dier £4m, Son £27m, Aurier £22m, Moura £25m added as well from foreign clubs

Now not all of those were huge successes, but that is 10 players for under £150m. Build that around the few top class players they already had, Lloris, Vertonghen, Kane, Eriksen and a very effective team was created.

We need to be a lot smarter in how we shop for players. We need a cash injection I really can't see anyway out of this other than the transfer market, we have countless players who have failed time and time again, yes they might be able to collectively raise themselves for a one of game but so can the players of nearly every club in the prem - we've become a team who can occasionally spring a surprise but then return the normal for 5 games.
I look around the prem and there are so many players who would be better than what we have, not even including the players from the big 5 teams. I would happily swap our entire squad with Leicester's right now, even if that meant losing the potential of players like Saka and Martinelli, because you look through Leicester's squad and there is an identity and a clear succession plan. Soyuncu was brilliant last year they could sell him for double the money and have Fofana ready to step up. Justin has come in at full back and done well to replace £50m Chilwell, and they signed Castagne in the summer for half the Chilwell money. In midfield, Maddison, Tielemans, Ndidi are all worth double what they were signed for. You can see a sustainable future for that team

Post #519802  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:27 am 

I accept Arteta has inherited a poorly constructed squad but its part of the job description to craft a team out of it ASAP. If his efforts are producing a team which is deteriorating alarmingly, then how bad does it have to get before you try another manager?

Post #519803  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:00 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Willian scored 11 goals for all competitions for chelsea last season and also provided 9 assists not to mention has 70 caps for Brazil. Yet he’s not good enough for us ? How do you explain that? I don’t believe it. Lacazette and Aubameyang who have both scored goals all their lives are now not up to it? I don’t believe it

We are a car with no engine and everybody is criticising the wheels and brakes for it not moving.

I'm with you on that, but at the moment none of them are producing for us. Strikers aren't making runs and wingers aren't dribbling at defenders. Of course we've seen them do it before and for other clubs so why aren't they doing it for us. The whole system is broken, and I agree with you it stems from midfield but everyone needs to take responsibility.
We need to look at every aspect of our play because I don't think you can just fix one aspect of what I listed above, each one of those is the cause and the result of another. It can become a bit chicken and egg. ie: Midfielder looks up and sees space behind but no one making a run, so keeps it safe. Striker has already made the run but midfielder was too slow to see it, so he doesn't bother making the run again because he has no faith in midfielder finding him.
Of course the midfield is the main thing to fix, but if we had Salah/Mané/Firminho as our front 3 they would be a lot more movement and incisiveness.

To be honest I think we can dress up any sort of tactics or style but for me it mostly boils down to a lack of quality right through the team. I also think you could take a number of the individual players and put them in a better team and they'd look quite at home and far from the weak link.

Your right, The team and squad isn’t good enough.

Spurs had Moura, bale and winks on the bench. 3 players who can make an impact. What did we have? We rely on youngsters who can’t get games on loan at championship clubs. What are we expecting ?

I think recruitment is at the heart of this and the constant boardroom changes haven’t helped. Edu comes across as a guy way out of his depth.

I find the criticism of Aubameyang hard to take. We would have been screwed if it wasn’t for him last year.

Whole things a mess.

Post #519804  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:30 am 

Read this morning that Özil believes he can secure a transfer to another top club but won't leave until the end of the season.
As often happens, his absence from a failing team will increase his stock, but there are a number of issues with this? Which team anywhere in europe pays him his current salary. Which top team (lets say top 25 in europe) would want Özil on a free transfer on even a third of his current wages?

Post #519805  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:35 am 

Gunfire wrote:
To be fair all the reports suggested Guendouzi had a real attitude problem and was disruptive.

The people at Hertha Berlin don’t seem to think so.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 01779/amp/

Post #519806  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:42 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I think recruitment is at the heart of this and the constant boardroom changes haven’t helped. Edu comes across as a guy way out of his depth.

Absolutely. Over the last 10 seasons of our steady decline there are plenty of factors to point to, but the over riding one, and most influential one for me is poor recruitment both in and out of the club.
Even when we have signed younger players with potential it is rare that any of them really kick on to a level better than when we signed them.
Yes we want to have more money to spend but we've wasted so much of it in the last 5 years in particular. Going back 5 summers to that fateful Xhaka/Mustafi/Perez summer Arsenal have spent £529m on new players, receive £225m. So our budget for 5 seasons has been £60m net spend to work with.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E2%8 ... .C._season
So that squad and £60m every season net to do something. and where do we find ourselves?
As well as quality of player we need to look at the mentality of player we have bought, or are cultivating. Who in the last 10 years have we bought who you would hang your hat on to die for the cause on the pitch, a determination to fight and lead? You could make a case for Sanchez.....

Post #519807  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:06 pm 

Bored wrote:
I accept Arteta has inherited a poorly constructed squad but its part of the job description to craft a team out of it ASAP. If his efforts are producing a team which is deteriorating alarmingly, then how bad does it have to get before you try another manager?

It’s interesting to consider how many of the Premier League managers would get more out of Arsenal’s players than Arteta is this season? I don’t just mean Klopp or Guardiola as they go without saying. For me Brendan Rodgers goes without saying too.

Controversial but I think Mourinho would too, even though I once suggested the game has left him behind. If Mourinho had Arsenal’s players I strongly suspect we’d have more points than we do. Sure, the football might not be enthralling but how good is Arteta’s Arsenal to watch? I’m not going through the whole list but I don’t think it’s impossible Potter at Brighton would get more out Arsenal’s players too.

Post #519808  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:34 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Bored wrote:

It’s interesting to consider how many of the Premier League managers would get more out of Arsenal’s players than Arteta is this season? I don’t just mean Klopp or Guardiola as they go without saying. For me Brendan Rodgers goes without saying too.

Controversial but I think Mourinho would too, even though I once suggested the game has left him behind. If Mourinho had Arsenal’s players I strongly suspect we’d have more points than we do. Sure, the football might not be enthralling but how good is Arteta’s Arsenal to watch? I’m not going through the whole list but I don’t think it’s impossible Potter at Brighton would get more out Arsenal’s players too.

If Mourinho was in charge at Arsenal he’d have chucked several players under a bus by now and would be arguing with the board.

Guardiola would need several hundred million to revamp the defence and midfield just like he did at city.

4 different managers and coaching teams have now managed these same players. It’s illogical to expect a different outcome if we appoint a 5th

Post #519809  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:41 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If Mourinho was in charge at Arsenal he’d have chucked several players under a bus by now and would be arguing with the board.

Guardiola would need several hundred million to revamp the defence and midfield just like he did at city.

4 different managers and coaching teams have now managed these same players. It’s illogical to expect a different outcome if we appoint a 5th

I’m not so sure. I think Guardiola and Mourinho would both be getting more out of the players Arsenal currently employ even without Guardiola having several hundred million. I can’t prove it, just like you can’t disprove it, but I honestly think we’d currently have more points under Mourinho with the players on Arsenal’s books, so I’m not counting Kane or Son.

Let me clarify that I’m not calling for Arteta to be sacked, yet anyway. But as Bored implied, it’s for the manager to get the best out the players he has on his club’s books. Is Arteta doing that? I remain to be convinced.

Post #519810  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:56 pm 

13 points and 10 goals scored from 11 games. When Arteta took over we were 10th in the table and on a miserable run of form. He improved things considerably. Last season his league record was 9 wins, 7 draws, 5 defeats. Not stellar but quite good considering how the team was performing when he took over and of course winning the cup was great.

We added Gabriel, Willian and Partey. He chose to offload Torreira and Guendouzi and drop Özil. There is no key player who forced a transfer. At the start of this season, with those additions, the squad was better than what he inherited. But our performances have mainly been poor. Better squad but much poorer results.

He undoubtedly needs to be given more time but he also needs to improve things....and quickly.

Post #519811  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:59 pm 

https://www.statsperform.com/resource/t ... -crossing/

Lots of stats on crossing. The conclusion is you score 1 goal for every 45 crosses hit. That is based on all prem teams over a long period. So also bring in whether you have players who deliver good crosses or are good at getting on the end of them - we seem to fail at both - and the ratio must surely go up for that team.

If you want to approach a game with the idea of making things as uncomfortable for the defence as possible crossing balls on the CB heads with only 1 guy half heartedly challenging him is not the way to go. Burnley next and their CB will lap that sort of challenge up all day long

Post #519812  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.statsperform.com/resource/the-art-of-crossing/

Lots of stats on crossing. The conclusion is you score 1 goal for every 45 crosses hit.

There lies the problem. We had 44 crosses yesterday....just one more and we would scored.....

Post #519813  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:11 pm 

john1 wrote:
Decaf wrote:
You don't think blaming Kroenke for that is also a tad silly?

For the structural issues at the root of the problem these past few seasons, no.

Point taken. But I'm not sure I agree.

Post #519814  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’m not so sure. I think Guardiola and Mourinho would both be getting more out of the players Arsenal currently employ even without Guardiola having several hundred million. I can’t prove it, just like you can’t disprove it, but I honestly think we’d currently have more points under Mourinho with the players on Arsenal’s books, so I’m not counting Kane or Son.

Let me clarify that I’m not calling for Arteta to be sacked, yet anyway. But as Bored implied, it’s for the manager to get the best out the players he has on his club’s books. Is Arteta doing that? I remain to be convinced.

The jury is still out definitely. I just look at it and there’s such a lack of talent in the first team and squad I just don’t believe any manager can turn those players into world beaters.

Maybe Mourinho could park the bus in certain games and turn defeats into a draw but that’s not Artetas style and certainly isn’t Guardiola or klopps either.

It’s a debate that doesn’t have a logical answer at this stage your completely right but I can’t believe my eyes are deceiving me and our talent pool is at the lowest ebb we’ve had for some time.

Post #519815  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
To be fair all the reports suggested Guendouzi had a real attitude problem and was disruptive.

The people at Hertha Berlin don’t seem to think so.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 01779/amp/

True. But that is only two games. I presume that he is on best behaviour right now.

Post #519816  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:36 pm 

dec wrote:
13 points and 10 goals scored from 11 games. When Arteta took over we were 10th in the table and on a miserable run of form. He improved things considerably. Last season his league record was 9 wins, 7 draws, 5 defeats. Not stellar but quite good considering how the team was performing when he took over and of course winning the cup was great.

We added Gabriel, Willian and Partey. He chose to offload Torreira and Guendouzi and drop Özil. There is no key player who forced a transfer. At the start of this season, with those additions, the squad was better than what he inherited. But our performances have mainly been poor. Better squad but much poorer results.

He undoubtedly needs to be given more time but he also needs to improve things....and quickly.

So if this season Arteta has 13 points from 11 games, it’s arguably worth comparing that to Emery’s record last season, which got him the sack. Emery had got 18 points from 13 games. Now Arteta won’t exactly equal Emery’s record after 13 games last season because it’s impossible to get 5 points from 2 games.

The only possible points from two matches are 0 (two defeats), or 1 (one defeat and one draw), or 2 (two draws), or 3 (one defeat and one win), or 4 (one draw and one win), or 6 (two wins).

So to better Emery’s 13 game record last season, which had got him the sack, Arteta must win our next two league matches (Burnley home and Southampton home). Anything else and his record over the first 13 games this season is worse than last season under Emery.

Post #519817  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

My view is that we just have to be patient and persist with Arteta at least until the middle of next season. He is aware of what the problems are and is attempting to address them. I don't think he's the problem.

Post #519818  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:50 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:
https://www.statsperform.com/resource/the-art-of-crossing/

Lots of stats on crossing. The conclusion is you score 1 goal for every 45 crosses hit.

There lies the problem. We had 44 crosses yesterday....just one more and we would scored.....

Damn! And another 91 and we would have won!

Post #519819  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:53 pm 

Decaf wrote:
My view is that we just have to be patient and persist with Arteta at least until the middle of next season. He is aware of what the problems are and is attempting to address them. I don't think he's the problem.

Perhaps I’m wrong but I’ve always assumed it may be easier to appoint managers at the end of seasons. Otherwise, unless you promote from within, it means taking on somebody already out of work (presumably with a smaller selection of good candidates) or poaching someone from another club mid-season. At the end of a season I would have thought managers will have a better idea of whether they want to stay where they are or move on from the club they’re at.

From that, I wonder if it might be best to look at Arteta at the end of this season rather than the middle of next season? Hopefully we’ll improve dramatically and keeping him will end an easy decision. Whether that turns out to be the case is another question.

Post #519820  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Perhaps I’m wrong but I’ve always assumed it may be easier to appoint managers at the end of seasons. Otherwise, unless you promote from within, it means taking on somebody already out of work (presumably with a smaller selection of good candidates) or poaching someone from another club mid-season. At the end of a season I would have thought managers will have a better idea of whether they want to stay where they are or move on from the club they’re at.

From that, I wonder if it might be best to look at Arteta at the end of this season rather than the middle of next season? Hopefully we’ll improve dramatically and keeping him will end an easy decision. Whether that turns out to be the case is another question.

Afternoon Bernard.
I see your point, but the problem is that only gives him the January transfer window. Is that a fair enough shake? I am fairly confident that Arteta will find a way to make us a bit more dynamic with the resources we have, so hopefully as you say that point will be moot.

Post #519821  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:09 pm 

We're 15th. Would anyone say they would do a straight swap for the preferred XI and bench for any of the clubs above us? Even outside the top 4, 5 or 6 (Liverpool and City are a given. Man Utd, Chelsea, Sperz probably...maybe Leicester)?

Post #519822  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:14 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Afternoon Bernard.
I see your point, but the problem is that only gives him the January transfer window. Is that a fair enough shake? .

I’ll answer !! no chance :laughing7:

He would only have had 1 summer transfer window at that point and only the ability to sign 1 mostly injured midfielder due to the budget. He needs another 3. He’s on a hiding to nothing, we wouldn’t have even allowed him time to change personal at that point.

Unless we drop in the bottom 3 it would be an act of madness to let him go.

Post #519823  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

So if this season Arteta has 13 points from 11 games, it’s arguably worth comparing that to Emery’s record last season, which got him the sack. Emery had got 18 points from 13 games. Now Arteta won’t exactly equal Emery’s record after 13 games last season because it’s impossible to get 5 points from 2 games.

The only possible points from two matches are 0 (two defeats), or 1 (one defeat and one draw), or 2 (two draws), or 3 (one defeat and one win), or 4 (one draw and one win), or 6 (two wins).

So to better Emery’s 13 game record last season, which had got him the sack, Arteta must win our next two league matches (Burnley home and Southampton home). Anything else and his record over the first 13 games this season is worse than last season under Emery.

There are differenches between the two scenarios. With Emery it felt as though the whole thing was unravelling. Right now, it is pretty bad but I still think there is some hope there that Arteta can turn it around. I think the fixtures are important too. We have played Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Tottenham away from home. Chelsea away is the only one missing.

One of my main concerns is the change in tactics. We really have gone all David Moyes in the last two games.

Post #519824  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:47 pm 

It’s not tactics though. Arteta isn’t telling his midfielders not to play through balls or take shots.

Take the other week for example Partey had a great first half, he was making runs and even chased down a goalkeeper dealing with a pass back. He was all over the pitch .... then at half time gets injured and goes off and Ceballos comes on and doesn’t make any effort whatsoever to pass expressively or even get in the final third, he has no interest and seems to be operating as a 2nd right back, Now he isn’t being told by Arteta to do that as the previous player wasn’t doing that at all. It’s personnel, he’s just limited that’s all.

Post #519825  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
It’s not tactics though. Arteta isn’t telling his midfielders not to play through balls or take shots.

Take the other week for example Partey had a great first half, he was making runs and even chased down a goalkeeper dealing with a pass back. He was all over the pitch .... then at half time gets injured and goes off and Ceballos comes on and doesn’t make any effort whatsoever to pass expressively or even get in the final third, he has no interest and seems to be operating as a 2nd right back, Now he isn’t being told by Arteta to do that as the previous player wasn’t doing that at all. It’s personnel, he’s just limited that’s all.

It is the same players as last season with a better centre back thrown in. The barrage of crosses is definitely new and I can't think the players just decided to do that.

Post #519826  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:36 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

It is the same players as last season with a better centre back thrown in. The barrage of crosses is definitely new and I can't think the players just decided to do that.

I get the comment about players but remember we sacked the manager last year as well! :laughing7: people were also accusing Emery of being too defensive too. There is a pattern. Emery said after Aaron Ramsey got injured it all went to pot and I agree. The problems with creativity seemed to start there.

Btw I don’t even call those crosses they are mostly punted balls into the box when everyone is already marked.

Post #519827  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:58 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think it’s fiction that we’ve simply got useless players. With the midfield and attack, Top Gun pointed out the goals and assists by Willian for Chelsea last season and he’d done well there for some time. Willian is a good player, full stop. Saka was poor yesterday but might be being overplayed. He’s a tremendous prospect. Aubameyang has been useless since renewing his contract but was great before that at Arsenal (with largely the same midfielders passing to him as now) and Dortmund. A great player, hopefully in a temporary run of bad form. Lacazette has disappointed me a bit but is certainly more than decent. Pépé I think has the ingredients to be an outstanding player. Whether he becomes one or not is another question, but he has the ability required.

Ceballos has ability, and I thought improved us in the second half. He’s not great but is good, and at the end of last season was very good. Xhaka must have something despite all the negativity about him. The captain of his national team as well as Arsenal for a spell. His managers all seem to love him. Are they really all be worse judges after seeing him day in day out than some fans who only see him in matches? A more than adequate passer of the ball too. Partey has only just arrived but looks good, though playing him yesterday was obviously a poor decision. Elneny is the modern day Flamini for me. Tigerish but limited talent. Way off being rubbish, as was Flamini.

Then there’s a number of youngsters below the automatic choice level (like Saka). Maitland-Niles has already played for England so has something. Nelson, Willock, Nketiah and Smith Rowe all look around the same level to me. Useful squad players at this point and may never be more than that. But not at all bad.

I still suspect plenty of other managers could get more out of that mob than Arteta has this season. I genuinely think our squad isn’t quite as bad as is accepted by some.

Post #519828  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
...From that, I wonder if it might be best to look at Arteta at the end of this season rather than the middle of next season? Hopefully we’ll improve dramatically and keeping him will end an easy decision. Whether that turns out to be the case is another question.
If with say 10 league games to play we are still around the drop zone then he has to go. The scheduled last 10 games include five against likely relegation candidates - Sheffield, Fulham, WBA, Palace and Brighton - they will be tough - and also Liverpool and Chelsea. If Arteta hasn't found an answer before we start that that run-in we could be in big trouble. Unlike the others we are not used to relegation fights. Hopefully by May we are still in the Premiership, but cupless and out of European placings, then Arteta will need to be asked some tough questions.

Post #519829  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:33 pm 

dec wrote:
Bernard wrote:

There are differenches between the two scenarios. With Emery it felt as though the whole thing was unravelling. Right now, it is pretty bad but I still think there is some hope there that Arteta can turn it around. I think the fixtures are important too. We have played Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Tottenham away from home. Chelsea away is the only one missing.

One of my main concerns is the change in tactics. We really have gone all David Moyes in the last two games.

Apart from the issues raised by your last point ...

It's quite subjective, so comparing results doesn't give the full picture.

A few years back South Africa had a coach called Joel Natalino Santana. He spoke no English and it was apparent that nobody, even the translators, really had a clue. Emery wasn't that bad but the vibe was similar: a sort of truculent incomprehensibility all round.

What Arteta, it just feels like he at least know what he is trying to do even if it isn't working just yet.

Post #519830  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:23 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
We're 15th. Would anyone say they would do a straight swap for the preferred XI and bench for any of the clubs above us? Even outside the top 4, 5 or 6 (Liverpool and City are a given. Man Utd, Chelsea, Sperz probably...maybe Leicester)?

Liverpool, City, Man U, Chelsea and Spurs are all a given. Player for player miles better.
Leicester, Wolves and Everton all have better best 11's than us currently mainly because of such a weakness we have in central midfield

I could also cherry pick half the first 11 from each team above us that would immediately be an improvement on what we field currently
West Ham - Cresswell, Rice, Soucek, Bowen, Antonio
Southampton - vestegaard, walker-peters, Romeu, Ward-Prowse, Ings,
Everton - Digne, Keane, Coleman, Allan, Dacoure, Rodriguez, Richarlison, Calvert-Lewin
Wolves - Patricio, Coady, Boly, Semedo, Neves, Moutinho, Dendonker, Neto, Traore, Jimenez
Palace - Zaha, - ok I'm struggling here
Villa - Mings, Cash, MgGinn, Barkley, Grealish, Watkins
Newcastle - Wilson - and I'm struggling here too
Leeds - Ayling, Phillips, Klich, Raphina, Bamford

Post #519831  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

Ceballos has ability, and I thought improved us in the second half. He’s not great but is good, and at the end of last season was very good. Xhaka must have something despite all the negativity about him. The captain of his national team as well as Arsenal for a spell. His managers all seem to love him. .

Xhaka is playing in the same 3 square metres as the 2 CBs who are as good at passing & faster than him. It’s Literally like playing with ten men in every game he plays. Even Redknapp was saying in his commentary yesterday “I don’t get this guy at all” . It’s a disaster

Ceballos is a Real Madrid reject who would be plying his trade at a low level Spanish club if we hadn’t signed him. Better than Xhaka but nowhere near the level needed.

El Nenny couldn’t convince Beskitas he was good enough for them

Worst midfield since 94. How anyone can say this lot are good enough midfielders is beyond comprehension

Post #519832  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:47 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Worst midfield since 94. How anyone can say this lot are good enough midfielders is beyond comprehension

But ‘good enough’ is not what I said at all.

Post #519833  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:55 pm 

Arteta's "clear the air" talks, 4 Dec., prior to the NLD really didn't help.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fourfo ... ash-report

Post #519834  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:11 pm 

So if we take all the managers out of the equation and we judge each player in the prem on their ability, and we take in to account most recent form but also proven ability over the last season or two to avoid being too harsh on a player in a sudden downturn ie: Aubameyang.....where does this Arsenal squad sit in the league? And therefore how much influence is the manager having?
The big 5 are all clearly ahead of us player for player. I’d also put Leicester, Everton and wolves ahead.....but that is based on us being SO weak in a couple of key positions, literally 3/10 quality. If we addressed those areas we’d move up to 6th best squad.

So in my view Arteta should be getting this squad to at least 9th but maybe a bit higher. The only reason I’d say higher is based on our second 11 being much closer to the ability of our first 11 than some of those other clubs - so factoring in injuries we should be able to have less of a drop off in performance than others.

Player for player with the above caveats we have a better squad than Leeds and Southampton but as a team they are totally 100% in sync with their managers methods, neither manager having comprised their tactical approach to games since day 1.

Post #519835  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:51 pm 

Hey Rich, Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Man Utd man for man is an easy call. We starting turning the corner against sperz since 2018 or thereabouts. We beat them a couple times and drew more against them. I'd contend that sperz, Wolves, Everton and even Leicester are better managed. We have a mixed record against them as well.

Post #519836  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:19 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Hey Rich, Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Man Utd man for man is an easy call. We starting turning the corner against sperz since 2018 or thereabouts. We beat them a couple times and drew more against them. I'd contend that sperz, Wolves, Everton and even Leicester are better managed. We have a mixed record against them as well.

If you made a combined best 11 from Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves, Everton and Leicester what would it be? This would be mine
GK - Lloris
RB - Perriera
CB - Alderweireld
CB - Coady/Boly/Gabriel - can't separate these 3
LB - Digne
DM - Ndidi
CM - Tielemans
CM - Partey
RW - Richarlison
LW - Son
FW - Kane
It may be that all those 4 other teams are better managed but they also have better players. Only Everton of the 4 finished below us last season and they bought Allan, Dacoure and Rodriguez this summer to fix their entire midfield

Post #519837  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:40 pm 

Good news in our relegation scrap. Brighton have just conceded a penalty and gone 1-2 down after having been ahead.

Meanwhile Southampton disappear of into the distance as they go joint 3rd. Odd times.

Post #519838  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

If you made a combined best 11 from Arsenal, Spurs, Wolves, Everton and Leicester what would it be? This would be mine
GK - Lloris
RB - Perriera
CB - Alderweireld
LB - Digne
DM - Ndidi
CM - Tielemans
CM - Partey
RW - Richarlison
LW - Son
FW - Kane
It may be that all those 4 other teams are better managed but they also have better players. Only Everton of the 4 finished below us last season and they bought Allan, Dacoure and Rodriguez this summer to fix their entire midfield

So we have 2 players at most. However let’s sack our manager.

If you had to pick a 2nd 11 I wonder how many players would get in?

Post #519839  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:35 pm 

Rich wrote:
GK - Lloris
RB - Perriera
CB - Alderweireld
LB - Digne
DM - Ndidi
CM - Tielemans
CM - Partey
RW - Richarlison
LW - Son
FW - Kane

Lloris has made many errors and more than Leno in my view. I would rather have Leno any day of the week, as I would Tierney instead of Digne. I’m surprised you put Richarlison in your team. Hopelessly inconsistent in my view. I’m not sure about Alderweireld getting in your side without question. I’m not convinced he’s any better than the three candidates for the place next to him. I think Gabriel would get in the team, with one of the others alongside him.

Post #519840  Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
GK - Lloris
RB - Perriera
CB - Alderweireld
LB - Digne
DM - Ndidi
CM - Tielemans
CM - Partey
RW - Richarlison
LW - Son
FW - Kane

Lloris has made many errors and more than Leno in my view. I would rather have Leno any day of the week, as I would Tierney instead of Digne. I’m surprised you put Richarlison in your team. Hopelessly inconsistent in my view. I’m not sure about Alderweireld getting in your side without question. I’m not convinced he’s any better than the three candidates for the place next to him. I think Gabriel would get in the team, with one of the others alongside him.

To be fair all the positions you queried were the hardest ones for me to pick. I think Alderweireld has been consistent over a number of years for spurs now and they have the best defence so far in the league this season. I hope Gabriel goes on to be better than all CB at those 4 clubs, signs are good but it’s only been 10 games.
Digne/Tierney would probably split a lot of neutral fans, spurs fans would undoubtedly have Reguillon as their pick.
Leno, Lloris, Patricio - I don’t think there is much between them all but Lloris still pips it for me.
I struggled a bit for a right winger, I do like Richarlison as he always looks dangerous even if his finishing let’s him down, maybe some people could make a case for Pépé or Saka but Richarlison has hit 13 league goals for the past 2 seasons, if any of our wide forwards posted numbers like that we’d be delighted

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12993, 12994, 12995, 12996, 12997, 12998, 12999 ... 14269  Next