Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 111 guests

Post #519081  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:07 pm 

Goonie wrote:
I love our skillful midgets. Fabregas, Rosicky (when fit), Cazorla (who doesn't!)... and even Arshavin. For whatever reason Wenger didn't fancy the enforcer type after Flamini. Remember how excited the fans got when Frimpong, Coquelin and Torreira played a few good games?

I respect (love is way over the top as a word) them as players but we had so many all at the same time. I don’t think it’s the way to achieve success in England. The best central midfield I’ve ever seen at Arsenal was Vieira and Petit together. Giants of men. Talented but not the pure skill of some skilful midgets we’ve had.

Post #519082  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:
I love our skillful midgets. Fabregas, Rosicky (when fit), Cazorla (who doesn't!)... and even Arshavin. For whatever reason Wenger didn't fancy the enforcer type after Flamini. Remember how excited the fans got when Frimpong, Coquelin and Torreira played a few good games?

I respect (love is way over the top as a word) them as players but we had so many all at the same time. I don’t think it’s the way to achieve success in England. The best central midfield I’ve ever seen at Arsenal was Vieira and Petit together. Giants of men. Talented but not the pure skill of some skilful midgets we’ve had.

Vieira was something else. At his peak Wenger can partner him with any player in midfield and he'd still dominate the game. The 2001/02 campaign best illustrate this.

Not sure why Wenger was so averse to include a tough-tackling DM in his team after Flamini left. He just doesn't fancy that kind of player I guess.

Post #519083  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:01 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Vieira was something else. At his peak Wenger can partner him with any player in midfield and he'd still dominate the game. The 2001/02 campaign best illustrate this.

Not sure why Wenger was so averse to include a tough-tackling DM in his team after Flamini left. He just doesn't fancy that kind of player I guess.

Please don’t underestimate Petit either. I remember Exiled, a poster I always respected, saying over the time they played together Petit may well have been the better of the two. I think there was a solid argument for him being right.

Post #519084  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:43 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Please don’t underestimate Petit either. I remember Exiled, a poster I always respected, saying over the time they played together Petit may well have been the better of the two. I think there was a solid argument for him being right.

We got Petit at 27, in his prime. Would love for Partey to be as successful a signing.

An interesting read featuring Monreal here:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... or-arsenal

Post #519085  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:49 pm 

Thing was Manu wasn’t just a midfield enforcer he could really play and had a great left foot. That chipped pass over the top for overmars goal in the cup final v Newcastle.

Flamini could just enforce and recycle possession, Torreira like wise. You surely need some technical ability in the middle of the park too. I think this kind of grated with Arsene and even when Arteta played in front of our defence that worked okish even if it wasn’t combative enough.

To be honest I’d rather have a team of complete midgets right now that can pass superbly on a six pence than midfield “enforcers” that have a 95% pass completion rate in games that we lost without creating a chance.

Post #519086  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Thing was Manu wasn’t just a midfield enforcer he could really play and had a great left foot. That chipped pass over the top for overmars goal in the cup final v Newcastle.

Flamini could just enforce and recycle possession, Torreira like wise. You surely need some technical ability in the middle of the park too. I think this kind of grated with Arsene and even when Arteta played in front of our defence that worked okish even if it wasn’t combative enough.

To be honest I’d rather have a team of complete midgets right now that can pass superbly on a six pence than midfield “enforcers” that have a 95% pass completion rate in games that we lost without creating a chance.

The 07/08 team is probably my favourite non-title winning side. Losing Rosicky and RvP to injuries didn't help but the Eduardo incident completely derailed our campaign.

Post #519087  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:15 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Arteta himself was technically very accomplished.

Post #519088  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:24 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Arteta himself was technically very accomplished.

Was kind of my point. Whilst he wasn’t an enforcer that many craved at the time his range of passing was very accomplished and with cazorla in front of him you have 2 players who can distribute the ball staggeringly well. I would give my arm for that combination now though at the time everyone was screaming for a more physical player

Post #519089  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:04 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

We got Petit at 27, in his prime. Would love for Partey to be as successful a signing.

Super article on Monreal. Wonderful attitude. The sort of player that you like representing your club.

Post #519090  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:32 pm 

Anyone heard the Arsene Wenger desert island discs yet? Haven’t heard it.

My dad called to say he comes across really well.

Post #519091  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Did he choose “I just don’t know what to do with myself“ ?

Post #519092  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:34 pm 

What am i missing?
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54962709
Pedri: Lionel Messi is 'enormously impressed' - so could he be Barcelona's saviour?

Post #519093  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:26 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Super article on Monreal. Wonderful attitude. The sort of player that you like representing your club.

As well as having a great attitude, Monreal was also a super player. If the best left backs I’ve seen play for Arsenal are Sansom and Cole, and Tierney joins them in a top three once he’s played more games, Monreal certainly gets in my second tier group that includes the likes of Winterburn and Clichy.

Post #519094  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I've listened to it. And yeah he does. Whatever we all think of Wenger outstaying his welcome he really does come across as a decent bloke, and clearly still loves the club. Some good music choices in there as well.

Post #519095  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:59 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:
I've seen us linked with Isco from Madrid and Boateng from Bayern. It really isn;'t the sort of player we should be going after now. You might get a perceived bargain transfer price because these guys leave on free transfers or the bigger club just want them off their books but they are still hugely expensive and if they don't work out they retain no transfer value.

Looking round our squad at the moment there isn't great transfer value, but it really does feel like we need to try to make something happen. Apparently we had an offer for Lacazette from Roma in the summer but turned it down, I don't know how much for but lets say it was £15-20m, probably a knock down price on where we think he's worth but could that £15-20m plus another big saving in wages be put to better use in a young hungry striker?

Won't mind Isco or someone similar. Still only 28, theoretically in his prime.

Isco only has 3 goals since the start of last season. Didn't register a single assist in the league last season until the final day when he got 2. (made 30 appearances for Madrid last year_ Might be in his prime based on his age, but he's not in form

Post #519096  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:05 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I agree on that. I'd back Vieira and Petit to dominate most 3 man midfields we've seen in the prem. People talk about Lampard and Gerrard and their goalscoring exploits but Vieira and Petit would dominate them both easily.
I was trying to think if we've ever seen anyone come close to what Vieira could do in the league for any team since he left? 6ft 4, unbeatable physically, telescopic legs making every tackle, receiving the ball in tight areas, wonderfully under rated technique. The closest I can think of with all that combination is Yaya Toure when he went through that golden period with Man City. He totally dominated games much like Vieira used to

Post #519097  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:43 pm 

Want to know why Willian is struggling at Arsenal compared to his time at chelsea ? Take a look at the goal Hudson Odoi just scored for chelsea.

Mason mount with a ball from inside his own half to the right flank as they were breaking that split the defence and had their defenders back peddling.

Fast and accurate, quite simply that pass doesn’t exist at Arsenal.

I can’t recall the last time I saw our midfield players hit a ball like that let alone it leading to a goal. We simply can’t move the ball up the pitch quick enough until we bring in more midfielders

Post #519098  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:59 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Want to know why Willian is struggling at Arsenal compared to his time at chelsea ? Take a look at the goal Hudson Odoi just scored for chelsea.

Mason mount with a ball from inside his own half to the right flank as they were breaking that split the defence and had their defenders back peddling.

I can’t recall the last time I saw our midfield players hit a ball like that let alone it leading to a goal. We simply can’t move the ball up the pitch quick enough until we bring in more midfielders

I saw the goal and my immediate thought was how simple it was (or was made to look) and how we don’t even play that pass let alone score that goal. The thing is I don’t think it is that difficult. But you need a midfielder with the awareness that this pass is on and the tactical brain to already be thinking of this pass before he’s even made the tackle. You also need a forward who is timing that run as soon as the tackle is made. Make the run behind and force the long pass.
If teams are pressing us, or we’re trying to draw teams on to us we can’t keep having such large gaps between the midfield and forwards, the opposition defence will naturally push up to stop the ball in to the strikers so then turn and run in to the space behind. We have done it successfully. Also, when one of your forwards is making that run behind, constantly keeping the defence on their toes and naturally dropping a yard or two, have another forward coming shorter to give the alternative option. A back line is caught to stay in line, if you have two forwards doing different things rather than just standing on that back line you force the defence to either collectively go with one of them, or go man to man and have a split back line which is ripe for players to run clean through.

Post #519099  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:34 pm 

What Haaland is doing is quite amazing. He has 15 goals in 11 games so far this season. Over the last 2 and a bit seasons he has 59 goals in 52 games for his clubs......and 6 goals in 5 games for Norway in the calendar year. Dortmund snapped him up for £20m. Will be worth 5 times that when he moves on.

Post #519100  Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:10 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I saw the goal and my immediate thought was how simple it was (or was made to look) and how we don’t even play that pass let alone score that goal.

It was my immediate thought also. We just don’t have the distribution, we have decent wingers and strikers but the ball isn’t reaching them.

If you haven’t listened to today’s Tuesday club check it out. They talk about this

Post #519101  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:21 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
I saw the goal and my immediate thought was how simple it was (or was made to look) and how we don’t even play that pass let alone score that goal.

It was my immediate thought also. We just don’t have the distribution, we have decent wingers and strikers but the ball isn’t reaching them.

If you haven’t listened to today’s Tuesday club check it out. They talk about this

Will do. I think we have players capable of the pass in itself. If a player has time on the ball it shouldn't be too hard to hit a lofted 60 yard pass with a 20 yard margin for error. Xhaka, Ceballos, Luiz, Tierney etc are all capable. The problem is a) are they encouraged to look for this option? and b) do they have the speed of thought and vision to spot it?

Post #519102  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:27 am 

Seen us linked with Eriksen with Inter wanting him out - no thanks. If we can't get anything done in Jan I'd take him on a 6 month loan but we can't be buying him and taking on his £200k per week wages. For the same transfer cost (I reckon) you could get Szoboszlai and he'd command maybe 1/3 of the wages - I think this guy will be worth £50-60m in a couple of years, he's available for £22m

Post #519103  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:35 am 

Rich wrote:
Seen us linked with Eriksen with Inter wanting him out - no thanks. If we can't get anything done in Jan I'd take him on a 6 month loan but we can't be buying him and taking on his £200k per week wages. For the same transfer cost (I reckon) you could get Szoboszlai and he'd command maybe 1/3 of the wages - I think this guy will be worth £50-60m in a couple of years, he's available for £22m

I hope Szoboszlai has a terrible game tonight, considering who Salzburg are playing.

Post #519104  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:56 pm 

Diego is dead.

Post #519105  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:24 pm 

DHD wrote:
Diego is dead.

Only 60, from a heart attack. Best player I’ve ever seen. For me, comfortably better than Messi.

Post #519106  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:33 pm 

RIP Diego Maradona
Too much cocaine aside from other ills.
What a player.

Post #519107  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:50 pm 

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-iba-1&hsimp=yhs-1&hspart=iba&p=england+argentina+wembley+1980#id=11&vid=02ac134973b3a924f7439a637afe9073&action=view

England v Argentina Wembley 1980

This was one of only 2 England games I’ve ever attended. Maradona was truly amazing that night. Electric and just 19 years old!! Even from a mile away at poxy old Wembley, I could see him doing things that were barely believable. Probably the most incredible individual performance I’ve ever seen on a football pitch.

Not sure how but England won 3-1. Diego took us on single-handed. Utter shitbag but I couldn’t help but love him. Such attitude! This was the only time I saw him play live. With the exception of Pele, I saw all the other ‘greats’ live quite often but from this performance and many others viewed on TV, I have no hesitation in saying Diego was the best I’ve ever seen.

Sad

EDIT

I visited Naples in about 2007. Tricky place. In the (tricky) backstreets, there were religious shrines to St Diego. Actually, he had transcended saintly status - he was GOD in those parts. Look what he did for that team, that city and indeed for the whole region. No priest, cardinal, pope or politician ever came close to that sort of influence, and certainly not a footballer.

Maybe George Weah might have a shout but he's now a proper politician as opposed to a disruptive scally. I can't think of anyone else.

Post #519108  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:02 pm 

A once in a generation talent. He was just so good.

Post #519109  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:04 pm 

It’s one thing Messi and Ronaldo notching up 40+ goals againest weak defenders in a VAR era in teams made up of hundreds of millions worth of talent.. but winning a title single handed with people literally trying to fight you every week? Entirely different.

For me the greatest of all time. RIP Diego

Post #519110  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:48 pm 

One final point. When it comes to the ludicrously nationalistic views on 'that' game, Peter Shilton has always led the campaign to condemn Diego as a cheat and an all-round tosser. But consider, please.

Shilts (have I spelt that correctly?) was a foot taller than Diego so how the *%^@ he was outjumped by a midget is a topic he never addresses. At the time of the 'Hand-of-God' incident Shilts was 37 or 38 and at least 3 years (probably 5) past his best - and I would completely agree that he had been an undoubtedly brilliant GK. But we all remember how in his latter years, Spunky found it increasingly difficult to defy Mr Gravity. By Hand-of-God time, he was still a good shot-stopper but Shilts had become an utter parody of his former athletic glory because HE COULD NOT JUMP - yet he still got picked. I remember seeing Lev Yashin - internationally celebrated god-like creature at the time - playing like a stick-limbed 40-year-old old fool. Goalies shouldn't be allowed to age - they should be shot. It's a kindness.

'Hand-of God' is a compete irrelevance in any consideration of the genius of Diego.

Post #519111  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:24 pm 

I never liked Shilton too. He got picked for Italia 90 purely off his reputation as he was way beyond past it. It was like nobody dare question his presence

His recent breitbart type tweets are hysterical too. Blokes a complete prat

Post #519112  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:38 pm 

DHD wrote:
One final point. When it comes to the ludicrously nationalistic views on 'that' game, Peter Shilton has always led the campaign to condemn Diego as a cheat and an all-round tosser. But consider, please.

Shilts (have I spelt that correctly?) was a foot taller than Diego so how the *%^@ he was outjumped by a midget is a topic he never addresses. At the time of the 'Hand-of-God' incident Shilts was 37 or 38 and at least 3 years (probably 5) past his best - and I would completely agree that he had been an undoubtedly brilliant GK. But we all remember how in his latter years, Spunky found it increasingly difficult to defy Mr Gravity. By Hand-of-God time, he was still a good shot-stopper but Shilts had become an utter parody of his former athletic glory because HE COULD NOT JUMP - yet he still got picked. I remember seeing Lev Yashin - internationally celebrated god-like creature at the time - playing like a stick-limbed 40-year-old old fool. Goalies shouldn't be allowed to age - they should be shot. It's a kindness.

'Hand-of God' is a compete irrelevance in any consideration of the genius of Diego.

I agree, although I never saw Yashin. There’s an assumption that keepers can play to an older age than outfield players because they run less. That in itself is true. But as you suggest, reflexes get less speedy and the ability to jump declines with age too, which are critical for goalkeepers.

Far too much is made of Maradona’s hand ball goal in that game. I think more should be made of his other that day. Pure, unadulterated genius.

Post #519113  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:38 pm 

DHD wrote:
https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-iba-1&hsimp=yhs-1&hspart=iba&p=england+argentina+wembley+1980#id=11&vid=02ac134973b3a924f7439a637afe9073&action=view

This was one of only 2 England games I’ve ever attended. Maradona was truly amazing that night. Electric and just 19 years old!! Even from a mile away at poxy old Wembley, I could see him doing things that were barely believable. Probably the most incredible individual performance I’ve ever seen on a football pitch.

Not sure how but England won 3-1. Diego took us on single-handed. Utter shitbag but I couldn’t help but love him. Such attitude! This was the only time I saw him play live. With the exception of Pele, I saw all the other ‘greats’ live quite often but from this performance and many others viewed on TV, I have no hesitation in saying Diego was the best I’ve ever seen.

Sad

EDIT

I visited Naples in about 2007. Tricky place. In the (tricky) backstreets, there were religious shrines to St Diego. Actually, he had transcended saintly status - he was GOD in those parts. Look what he did for that team, that city and indeed for the whole region. No priest, cardinal, pope or politician ever came close to that sort of influence, and certainly not a footballer.

Maybe George Weah might have a shout but he's now a proper politician as opposed to a disruptive scally. I can't think of anyone else.

Amen to that. The only Sporting figure who comes close, not just for sheer ability but for being so iconic and vivid, is Ali. Diego was a god.

Post #519114  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:45 pm 

Maradonna is a gooner. :42laughter:
https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/5467

Post #519115  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:50 pm 

In my mind he was simply the greatest footballer, though I admit Messi's emergence muddied the waters a bit for me. But then when you take into account that he played sublime, match winning football in an era when opposition players were persistently trying to foul him at best and injure him at worst, what he did on a pitch was unbelievable. Add in the fairy tale of winning the Scudetto twice with Napoli, a poor, ravaged football mad city who had never won it in their history, what an incredible story. Its no wonder they have murals of Diego all over the place, which I got to see when i visited there in the mid 90's. I remember the infamous Argentina vs England match and despite the disappointment of getting knocked out of the world cup my over riding emotion was thinking what an absolute thing of beauty that goal was. I never really cared about his on and off the field indiscretions because it seemed like a small price to pay for footballing genius. RIP Diego.

Post #519116  Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:08 pm 

DHD wrote:

That’s a heck of a coincidence. We’re fairly regular visitors to Sorrento so I just looked back to see when it was that we had been in the back streets of Naples and seen those shrines. And it turns out that it was also in 2007.

Post #519117  Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:30 am 

RIP Diego Maradona

Post #519118  Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:03 am 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:

Sad

EDIT

Amen to that. The only Sporting figure who comes close, not just for sheer ability but for being so iconic and vivid, is Ali. Diego was a god.

Senna and Diego for me stand above all other sportspersons.

Post #519119  Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:37 am 

DHD wrote:
Diego is dead.

Possibly Pele the more iconic player for the sport but that depends on the generation. Those that saw Pele and those that remember him are a dying breed...literally.

So, by default, its Maradonna. Well deserved though. Messi and/or Ronaldo may eventually become as iconic. Only time will tell. The latter two will have the advantage of a truly global media.

For all sports, only Ali and Jordan are perhaps as or more iconic globally perhaps. Kobe may have a shout in time. And by globally iconic, if you went into a small village pretty much anywhere in the world, they would know the name.

Post #519120  Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:07 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
DHD wrote:
Diego is dead.

Possibly Pele the more iconic player for the sport but that depends on the generation. Those that saw Pele and those that remember him are a dying breed...literally.

So, by default, its Maradonna. Well deserved though. Messi and/or Ronaldo may eventually become as iconic. Only time will tell. The latter two will have the advantage of a truly global media.

For all sports, only Ali and Jordan are perhaps as or more iconic globally perhaps. Kobe may have a shout in time. And by globally iconic, if you went into a small village pretty much anywhere in the world, they would know the name.

I live in south Hertfordshire, a few miles north of the boundary with the London Borough of Barnet so not exactly a small village anywhere in the world.

My own lack of knowledge will be down to my lack of interest but I’d never heard of Kobe before I read the last post. Who the hell is he? I have at least heard of a sportsman called Jordan though I’m less sure of his first name. I think it’s Michael but I’m not at all sure. What I don’t know is his sport. Obviously one of the big US sports so either American Football, Basketball, Baseball or Ice Hockey. If I was answering a quiz question on naming Jordan’s sport it would be a one in four guess.

But I do know Ali was a boxer. I even know his first name was Mohammed and that before adopting that name he started off as Cassius Clay.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12975, 12976, 12977, 12978, 12979, 12980, 12981 ... 14269  Next