Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 121 guests

Post #505441  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:
What has worried me most recently is that (to me) it does look like the players are trying but they don't seem to know what they're supposed to be doing. The biggest problem as I see it is there's no connections between different areas of the team. I may well be wrong but I can't help thinking that having different coaches for different parts of the team may be stopping them playing as a team rather than separate units.

You could be right. Just looking at the official handbook, in addition to the Head Coach Unai Emery there is a whole page listing the First Team Coaching Staff with nine names (and photos) on it. Freddie Ljungberg is the Assistant Head Coach & Transition Partner, Juan Carlos Carcedo is the Assistant Head Coach, Pablo Villanueva is the First Team Coach, Javi Garcia is the Goalkeeping Coach, Shad Forsyth is the Head of Performance, Gary O’Driscoll is the Medical Director, Chris Morgan in the First Team Senior Physiotherapist, Julen Masach is the Fitness Coach, and Edu is the Technical Director.

No wonder the board is backing Emery .... they'd have to dispense with that barrel of blow flies as well .

Reeks of a 1960s government department loads of paper shufflers producing f&^$** all .

That amount of supposed brain power and we still turn out cr*p performances .

They are either all incredibly stupid or Yes men .

Post #505442  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:27 pm 

dec wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

What first got me thinking about this was last season there were a couple of clips of us defending free kicks/corners where you could see Emery go back to the dug out and one of the other coaches sent into the technical area to coach it. It was complimented by the commentator but I couldn't help thinking that when you get the ball from a corner you have to have some idea of how to attack with it but you've got a defensive coach on the touchline so how does that work?

For Leicester's first corner on Saturday all of our players were in the penalty box. The whole team. I've no idea what defensive coaching manual that came from but it's just mad.

Welcome back, btw.

Yes but we were the same under latter day Wenger Dec .

I've raved about that on numerous ocassions .

I was forever calling for Walcott to be positioned two yards inside our half to provide an outlet .
Aubameyang or Pépé on half way would keep at least two maybe three opposition defenders back .

This is what sh*ts me ; we replaced Wenger with a Wenger clone ...same *%^@** up defence , same slow build ups , same arsebackwards post match interviews .

Post #505443  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:29 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Welcome back, Exiled. By the way, I'm sure Rog would have sorted it a bit more swiftly if your initial post hadn't required cryptanalysis via plugboard by a team of analysts conversant in Schreibmax and Fernlesegerät. Impenetrable. That's right - impenetrable.

haha - cheers mate.

Didn't mean to cause confusion, I thought the Prince hat-tip was fairly obvious but we always see what we thought of ourselves as obvious.

Welcome back .... what's with the Uzbekistani name change ..?

Post #505444  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:40 pm 

Has anyone seen the Bournemouth training ground set piece goal at the weekend? Why don’t we see more goals like that, or at least attempts to do something different.
7 players involved but only 3 touch the ball.
A player makes a run along the byline for a short corner, it’s played to him and played immediately back to the corner taker. In the box the big men on the penalty spot make runs to open up a space near the penalty spot, 2 other attackers already stationed in the 6 yard box ensure no defenders can get out in to that space. All the while the guy at the back post makes a seemingly harmless run which actually arcs round in to the space and has a free shot at goal from 12 yards

Lovely

Post #505445  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:53 pm 

I just caught the end of Radio 5 (Monday Night Club) where they were talking about Arsenal in a pretty irritating way. They singled out the supporters saying they are too quick to turn against their players, as if not only is it unique to the Arsenal but the Xhaka thing is just a normal event at AFC. They talked about Arsenal Fan TV as evidence of our critical fan base. Also, Chris Sutton was saying Emery should be given more time.

Post #505446  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
Has anyone seen the Bournemouth training ground set piece goal at the weekend?

Thanks for the heads up Rich. I just watched it on YouTube and I've never seen anything like it.

Post #505447  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:05 pm 

Bored wrote:
I just caught the end of Radio 5 (Monday Night Club) where they were talking about Arsenal in a pretty irritating way. They singled out the supporters saying they are too quick to turn against their players, as if not only is it unique to the Arsenal but the Xhaka thing is just a normal event at AFC. They talked about Arsenal Fan TV as evidence of our critical fan base. Also, Chris Sutton was saying Emery should be given more time.

Chris Sutton is a monumental bellend.

Post #505448  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:08 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
dec wrote:
For Leicester's first corner on Saturday all of our players were in the penalty box. The whole team. I've no idea what defensive coaching manual that came from but it's just mad.

Welcome back, btw.

Yes but we were the same under latter day Wenger Dec .

I've raved about that on numerous ocassions .

I was forever calling for Walcott to be positioned two yards inside our half to provide an outlet .
Aubameyang or Pépé on half way would keep at least two maybe three opposition defenders back .

This is what sh*ts me ; we replaced Wenger with a Wenger clone ...same *%^@** up defence , same slow build ups , same arsebackwards post match interviews .

Nah, Kiwi. This guy is far worse. It's one thing to have nobody on the half way line, but everyone inside the penalty area.....

He's also afraid of every opponent. We see Aston Villa but he sees peak Barca.

Post #505449  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:13 pm 

Bored wrote:

Any mention of “f*ck Sarriball” and the constant booing of Jorginho by Chelsea fans last year. Or the banners proclaiming the 3 rats as the Chelsea fans called them at the time (was it hazard, fabregas and costa)
Man U fans regularly booed fellaini
Every team at some point has booed their players

Taking the view that the fans turned on the players too quickly is incredibly naive from people paid to talk about football. The context of the clubs ownership, false promises, years of stagnation, failure to address reoccurring problems are all context.
In terms of players, xhaka has shown zero desire to correct any of his shortcomings, he is the most dribbled past defensive mid I’ve ever seen play the game, he fails to track runners, has no sense of danger or positioning and continues to dive in and foul players in the penalty box. I think the fans frustration that day was just as much at the club as it was Xhaka but to be honest he got off lightly

Post #505450  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:16 pm 

dec wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

What first got me thinking about this was last season there were a couple of clips of us defending free kicks/corners where you could see Emery go back to the dug out and one of the other coaches sent into the technical area to coach it. It was complimented by the commentator but I couldn't help thinking that when you get the ball from a corner you have to have some idea of how to attack with it but you've got a defensive coach on the touchline so how does that work?

For Leicester's first corner on Saturday all of our players were in the penalty box. The whole team. I've no idea what defensive coaching manual that came from but it's just mad. Whether that is down to separation of coaching or not, I don't know, but it is blatantly obvious that the coaching is a mess.

Welcome back, btw.

It’s been that way for years, wenger used to pull everyone back. I remember the great Barca teams leaving 3 players up front, the defence has to leave at least 4 back. When you add in cover for the edge of the box and the taker you only get 3 or so attackers in the box, easier for a GK to come and claim if your defence isn’t great at set pieces.
If you bring everyone back and you do clear it, it just comes straight back. So pointless.

Post #505451  Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:21 pm 

dec wrote:
Bored wrote:

Chris Sutton is a monumental bellend.

I concur.

Post #505452  Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:58 am 

Just to add my two penneth about Chris Sutton. I could not agree more with Dec. I'm not sure I've heard such a charmless pundit as him. Talk about having a humour by pass. He must have something on one of the BBC sports bosses to be employed by them. I thought Robbie Savage was bad enough but at least he has a personality. Sutton is prime TalkSport material along with that other nob end Stan Collymore. Sutton is one of those shock jocks of the football punditry world. Loves the sound of his own voice but has very little of substance to say.

Post #505453  Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:43 am 

Rich wrote:
goonerguru wrote:
An Australian ref who has never reffed a prem game and only a couple of ChampionshIp games, that was the var guy.

I don’t have a problem with the VAR ref not having reffed a prem game, as long as he’s qualified, has reffed at a decent level, and understands the rules he has time and replays to come to a correct decision. Experience is probably more important in terms of dealing with onfield reffing where you need to manage the occasion, a large crowd, bigger egos, greater pressure etc. Having said that it is strange that you wouldn’t have prem refs for prem games

Agree. Also why I think they should be using retired refs. They still have the ability to interpret the laws better than the current bunch, they have just lost their legs not their minds.

Also need to get rid of Mike Riley, bent as hell and useless to boot.

Post #505454  Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:06 am 

richie wrote:
Just to add my two penneth about Chris Sutton. I could not agree more with Dec. I'm not sure I've heard such a charmless pundit as him. Talk about having a humour by pass. He must have something on one of the BBC sports bosses to be employed by them. I thought Robbie Savage was bad enough but at least he has a personality. Sutton is prime TalkSport material along with that other nob end Stan Collymore. Sutton is one of those shock jocks of the football punditry world. Loves the sound of his own voice but has very little of substance to say.

Never forgave him for this
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... n-12334114

Post #505455  Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:03 am 

DHD - nah, when I stopped working there I figured they wouldn't give me the keys anymore so it didn't seem sensible to return.

Kiwi - for goodness sake it's obviously Kazak - are you just trying to cause trouble?

Post #505456  Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:56 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:

I was in the bloody ground drinking as much beer as I could in 15 minutes!

TPAFKNAEiN?

Welcome back.

Post #505457  Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:31 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
You could be right. Just looking at the official handbook, in addition to the Head Coach Unai Emery there is a whole page listing the First Team Coaching Staff with nine names (and photos) on it. Freddie Ljungberg is the Assistant Head Coach & Transition Partner, Juan Carlos Carcedo is the Assistant Head Coach, Pablo Villanueva is the First Team Coach, Javi Garcia is the Goalkeeping Coach, Shad Forsyth is the Head of Performance, Gary O’Driscoll is the Medical Director, Chris Morgan in the First Team Senior Physiotherapist, Julen Masach is the Fitness Coach, and Edu is the Technical Director.

No wonder the board is backing Emery .... they'd have to dispense with that barrel of blow flies as well .

Reeks of a 1960s government department loads of paper shufflers producing f&^$** all .

That amount of supposed brain power and we still turn out cr*p performances .

They are either all incredibly stupid or Yes men .

Yep, to paraphrase that statement on Monday - "Stan won't pay out to sack Emery and his cronies so we are stuck with him until at least the end of the season".

“We never take our fantastic support for granted,” the statement attributed to Sanllehi and Venkatesham said. Do they really think Arsenal fans are going to buy this BS??

Post #505458  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:37 am 

Brendan Rodgers on James Maddison
“Of course, James has his strengths, so you let him flourish with those strengths. But then we helped him with the tactical discipline. And he’s becoming very, very good at it.”

Why has no one tried this with a single Arsenal player in 10 years!

Post #505459  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:02 am 

Post #505460  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:19 am 

dec wrote:
Nah, Kiwi. This guy is far worse. It's one thing to have nobody on the half way line, but everyone inside the penalty area.....

He's also afraid of every opponent. We see Aston Villa but he sees peak Barca.

Too true ...... just read a write up saying we now have relatively easy run of fixtures ..Southampton , Brighton , Norwich and West Ham :laughing7: .... are they kidding ?

We can make any of those teams look like Barcelona or Bayern Munich .

Post #505461  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:53 pm 

Sky reporter is saying Lucas Torreira has handed in a transfer request that’s been declined because he’s had enough of Emery playing him out of position

He wanted to move in January

I mean seriously what on Earth is going on at Arsenal

Post #505462  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:25 pm 

The suggestion that we can’t sack Emery because of the cost is surely nonsense

Sell Xhaka to Milan in January for 25 million and use AMN and Willock then sack Emery and all his amazing Spanish coaches for 16 and your quids in.

If they aren’t ditching him it’s because they don’t want to or don’t like the other options. Edu was a professional footballer, your telling me he doesn’t know we are a complete mess on the pitch or thinks it’s ok? No chance

Post #505463  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Sky reporter is saying Lucas Torreira has handed in a transfer request that’s been declined because he’s had enough of Emery playing him out of position

Arsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira is unsettled at the club and has reportedly asked Gunners bosses to consider any transfer offers for him when the window reopens.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/13/lucas-to ... -11090056/

Post #505464  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:45 pm 

warrior wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Arsenal midfielder Lucas Torreira is unsettled at the club and has reportedly asked Gunners bosses to consider any transfer offers for him when the window reopens.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/13/lucas-to ... -11090056/

Maybe we could do a swap deal with Leicester for James Maddison so Emery can play him as a defensive midfielder

Post #505465  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:47 pm 

warrior wrote:

Not really a surprise if the rumors of him trying to get out last summer are true.

Post #505466  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:41 pm 

We get Sky Sports News in the states as well as on streaming when I'm abroad. I'm listening to Gareth Southgate and thinking that no one envisioned he would still be the national team manager now. I have to assume he was seen as interim, caretaker manager but the FA found it hard to justify changing when he got results.

I am also curious that with the relative success he's had, if he has been offered any club jobs?

Post #505467  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:44 pm 

I heard someone asked him about England not being in a final. In Europe? Not likely. Although I think the European power clubs (Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Netherlands) have not been as good as they once were not too long ago, it's not crime to lose to the aforementioned and with countries like Belgium, and one or two of the eastern European clubs emerging, its going to take some luck as well as talent. Playing with great world stars week in, week out has helped the English players immensely. Both in developing their skillset as well as removing any fear.

Post #505468  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:35 pm 

I have optimised the Php tables for the forum so it should be a bit zippier now.

Post #505469  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:49 pm 

warrior wrote:
I have optimised the Php tables for the forum so it should be a bit zippier now.

thank *%^@ for that

Post #505470  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:58 pm 

warrior wrote:

Could you please also optimise the Arsenal players?

Post #505471  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:49 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I am also curious that with the relative success he's had, if he has been offered any club jobs?

There’s a rumour that Tottenham want him if they and Pochettino depart ways.

Post #505472  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:51 pm 

Cole Bassett? I'm a wee bit surprised I haven't heard of him. Chelsea's American player is off to a bright start. Slowly by slowly...anyway, maybe he's getting a look because of the Kroenke's?
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... l-17245556

this one is a bit dated.

Post #505473  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:

:happy11: :happy11:

Post #505474  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:01 pm 

Not a good day for Trump. i wonder if he'll last longer than Emery?

Post #505475  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:25 am 

Decaf wrote:

Just why you keep raving about Trump ; young Decaf .... is a little beyond me ..... do you honestly think any of the alternatives would be any better ... take a look at all the high profilers who regularly hog the headlines

Hiliary , Marco Rubio , Nancy Pelosi , Kamala Harris , Mitt Romney , Maxine Waters , Lindsay Graham , Elisabeth Warren , Chuck Schumer , John Bolton , Mike Pompeo

........ a cess pit of self serving braindead half wits only interested in starting a war somewhere under the banner of national security , lining their own pockets and blaming anything that doesn't go to plan on Russia

Only two US politicians I have any time for Trey Gowdy and Tulsi Gabbard .

Post #505476  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:33 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Just why you keep raving about Trump ; young Decaf .... is a little beyond me ..... do you honestly think any of the alternatives would be any better ... take a look at all the high profilers who regularly hog the headlines

Hiliary , Marco Rubio , Nancy Pelosi , Kamala Harris , Mitt Romney , Maxine Waters , Lindsay Graham , Elisabeth Warren , Chuck Schumer , John Bolton , Mike Pompeo

........ a cess pit of self serving braindead half wits only interested in starting a war somewhere under the banner of national security , lining their own pockets and blaming anything that doesn't go to plan on Russia

Only two US politicians I have any time for Trey Gowdy and Tulsi Gabbard .
How peculiar.

Post #505477  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:15 am 

This is an interesting story

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... board.html

Post #505478  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:39 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Please don't go! Instead, Emery go!

Post #505479  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:50 am 

long time gooner wrote:
warrior wrote:

:42laughter: :14laughter:

Post #505480  Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:50 am 

Decaf wrote:

Hope he doesn't last longer

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12634, 12635, 12636, 12637, 12638, 12639, 12640 ... 14269  Next