Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:51 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, Googlebot, gooner7, mcquilkie, warrior and 157 guests

Post #485681  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:40 pm 

david.d wrote:
On all the browsers Warrior

See above post - I edited it.

I think you are in night mode.

Or an accessibility option has been enabled ?

There may be an "Inverted Rendering" or negative mode also.

Post #485682  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:45 pm 

SKY sports reporting that Gazidis wants Arteta as Arsenal's next manager. Enrique & Nagelsman on shortlist. Allegri, Rodgers, Tuchel & Benitez NOT on shortlist.

arteta ? How does that work. Has zero management experience. I think he would be the least inspiring possibility.

Something tells me that the appointment will be someone with little or less experience. Gazidis specifically used the words brave and bold when talking about them making a decision on who it should be. There might be something to draw into that (plus it would also be the cheaper option yunno keep the American happy)

Post #485683  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:17 pm 

Arsene.....
I have always fulfilled my contract obligations....

Attachments:
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 7.38 KB | Viewed 2978 times ]

Post #485684  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:19 pm 

Now....they made me resign....

Attachments:
images-2.jpg
images-2.jpg [ 4.62 KB | Viewed 2972 times ]

Post #485685  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:20 pm 

So....what to do next...?

Attachments:
images-1.jpg
images-1.jpg [ 5.73 KB | Viewed 2956 times ]

Post #485686  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:21 pm 

Zed wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yes

His warped priorities were never more evident than in the autumn of 2009, when he announced: “I have been criticised for not signing Xabi Alonso or Gareth Barry. But if I signed them, I would have killed Alex Song, Abou Diaby and Denilson.”

Could've had CR7 as well, but that deal blew up in his face.

The “almost” list will take up about 3 volumes of any future memoirs

Post #485687  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 pm 

But....yet...I just can't let go.... :20hospitals:

Attachments:

Post #485688  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:23 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
Zed wrote:
Could've had CR7 as well, but that deal blew up in his face.

There were so many chances slipped by.

Post #485689  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:52 pm 

Zed wrote:
Pete on the beach wrote:

Arsenal missed out on signing Cristiano Ronaldo as a teenager due to financial constraints, according to former Gunners scout Damien Comolli.

"He came to the [Arsenal] training centre twice. Nobody knows that. He met Thierry, who was his idol. But when it came to making the transfer, there was no money."

Much more convenient to just blame Arsene though.

Post #485690  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:53 pm 

Hi Warrior
Thanks for your help!
It was on night mode.
Went through chrome which was fine then went back to internet explorer and clicked on the 3 dots which brought up turn off night mode.
Did that and gone back to normal.
Thank you so much.

Post #485691  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
SKY sports reporting that Gazidis wants Arteta as Arsenal's next manager. Enrique & Nagelsman on shortlist. Allegri, Rodgers, Tuchel & Benitez NOT on shortlist.

arteta ? How does that work. Has zero management experience. I think he would be the least inspiring possibility.

Something tells me that the appointment will be someone with little or less experience. Gazidis specifically used the words brave and bold when talking about them making a decision on who it should be. There might be something to draw into that (plus it would also be the cheaper option yunno keep the American happy)

The Arteta rumour seems to have started a few months ago; there are several threads about it on different sites around that time.

Whilst I obviously don't know if its true and perhaps it could be a leak to see the reaction of the fanbase but I'd be surprised if anyone at the Express has any clue who is in the minds of Gazidis etc.

Post #485692  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 pm 

Arteta
Really??????
With NO managerial experience.
Can't understand why we are not trying for elite in Simeone or Allegri.
With the money we were paying Wenger that would be a considerable pay rise for both.
Surely we are attractive enough?

Post #485693  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:18 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The Arteta rumour seems to have started a few months ago; there are several threads about it on different sites around that time.

Whilst I obviously don't know if its true and perhaps it could be a leak to see the reaction of the fanbase but I'd be surprised if anyone at the Express has any clue who is in the minds of Gazidis etc.

The leak came from a sky reporter apparently, all over the press now. However your right how would they know I'm not sure. I just think that comment where he is saying the decision needs to be bold and brave just seems indicative that's all. Really tall order for a Novice coach with little experience to correct all of Wengers stuff.

Post #485694  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:38 pm 

This was funny in the Guardian.

“There have many tributes to Arsène Wenger from the whole of football since the announcement that he would be leaving but Spurs, their erstwhile rivals have really shown true class by dedicating a whole performance to his Arsenal team of recent years, playing well at first against a big club before collapsing, like a soufflé taken out of the oven too early, at the first sign of anything going against them and then losing in a predictable pit of mediocrity at the end” – Noble Francis.

Post #485695  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 pm 

Niall wrote:
Zed wrote:

Arsenal missed out on signing Cristiano Ronaldo as a teenager due to financial constraints, according to former Gunners scout Damien Comolli.

"He came to the [Arsenal] training centre twice. Nobody knows that. He met Thierry, who was his idol. But when it came to making the transfer, there was no money."

I’m sure the money was there because Man U paid ‘only’ £12m. I suspect the problem was that whatever we offered Man U were just going to double it.

Post #485696  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 pm 

Niall wrote:
Zed wrote:

Excuse you paranoia Niall , whilst true, the noted vs by many is he was about to sign but fergie came in and blew us out the water , as it was 2003 , there was money enough for - an admittedly talented -17 year old , as spending a wedge on Reyes 6 months later proved

The point was in jest around the sheer number of times Wenger told us he nearly signed this player and that player whenever we played someone of note .

Anyway it’s over now the bloke is soon to be history , not a day too soon either

Post #485697  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 pm 

Pete on the beach wrote:
Niall wrote:

Excuse you paranoia Niall , whilst true, the noted vs by many is he was about to sign but fergie came in and blew us out the water , as it was 2003 , there was money enough for - an admittedly talented -17 year old , as spending a wedge on Reyes 6 months later proved

The point was in jest around the sheer number of times Wenger told us he nearly signed this player and that player whenever we played someone of note .

Anyway it’s over now the bloke is soon to be history , not a day too soon either

Sorry excuse you Pete, no paranoia on my part. The quote isn't from me - it's from a former scout who I would imagine knows a bit more than you, me or Zed on it. Additionally, as I mentioned earlier today, Auclair was on Talksport last night and he made a point in regard to Ronaldo as it came up on the programme. His information was at that time with Arsenal's financial constraints it was difficult for Wenger to convince the board to take a £12m gamble on a 17 year old. The risk was too much for Arsenal to take as unlike Utd we couldn't gamble that amount of money (which was a lot at the time) and just disregard it if the transfer wasn't a success. That of course didn't apply to Man Utd.

I've just checked Reyes and he was £10.5m at 21 years of age and I'm sure you know the stories about how long Wenger watched him which adds credence to the Auclair angle we couldn't really afford big signings to be misses. The fee with add ons was £17.5m but I'm sure we didn't pay most of that.

But hey, it was Zed who mentioned it in the context that it "blew up in his face". That's fine if that's your bag but it is worthwhile to add the context around it. I'm sure a fair minded person like yourself agrees with that.

Post #485698  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Really tall order for a Novice coach with little experience to correct all of Wengers stuff.

I think exactly the opposite , using an automotive analogy ....Arsenal's problems aren't like a misfire in an old car where you don't know whether the problem is points , coil , condensor , spark plugs or partial fuel blockage .

This is right out in the open [a] painfully slow build ups [ b] all at sea defence [c] aging goalkeeper [ d ] lack of size in midfield

A very easy fix ....if Arteta can see this and brings in a decent deputy , delegates responsibility , he could be great .

Perhaps better than a more accomplished coach with a track record from abroad but has no Premier League experience .

Post #485699  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:05 pm 

Niall wrote:
I'm sure a fair minded person like yourself agrees with that.

:laughing7: .... ever thought of a sideline in hostage negotiation .

Post #485700  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:05 pm 

50 million quid budget for transfers this summer

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ssion=true

Wengers replacement will struggle to get the new keeper and 3 defenders we need with that unless we cash in on Ramsey or Bellerin.

Post #485701  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 pm 

Wenger didn't have enough money and didn't he just let us all know that, perhaps he should have let Stan Kroenke know?.

martyr?

Post #485702  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Wengers replacement will struggle to get the new keeper and 3 defenders we need with that unless we cash in on Ramsey or Bellerin.

Reality dawns - Wenger or no Wenger the club is FUBAR by Kroenke.

Time to get those planes out again and change the banners?.

:1laughter:

Post #485703  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:12 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Niall wrote:
I'm sure a fair minded person like yourself agrees with that.

:laughing7: .... ever thought of a sideline in hostage negotiation .

lol, nah, I think in some circumstances I'd be urging him/her to pull the trigger. :icon_smile11:

Post #485704  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:14 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Jaysus wept. Put those title dreams on hold a while yet.

Post #485705  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:22 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Really tall order for a Novice coach with little experience to correct all of Wengers stuff.

I think exactly the opposite , using an automotive analogy ....Arsenal's problems aren't like a misfire in an old car where you don't know whether the problem is points , coil , condensor , spark plugs or partial fuel blockage .

This is right out in the open [a] painfully slow build ups [ b] all at sea defence [c] aging goalkeeper [ d ] lack of size in midfield

A very easy fix ....if Arteta can see this and brings in a decent deputy , delegates responsibility , he could be great .

Perhaps better than a more accomplished coach with a track record from abroad but has no Premier League experience .

It would be very underwhelming to let Wenger go and then appoint Arteta or someone with so little experience.

Not that I don't agree with your opinion on Arsenal's deficiencies.

However, if there's only £50m available you've got to wonder if that's going to be an attractive proposition for an Allegri, Luis Enrique or any of the other big names we are being linked. Making Arteta more of a possibility.

Post #485706  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:56 pm 

Daz wrote:
Watched it now. I thought he was charming and good-humoured right up until Amy's question and then the mask slipped a bit. He then realised that and tried to pull it back. He clearly does feel anger towards the fans though and sees their entirely legitimate desire to manifest their discontent as spoiling the "unity" of the club. The problem is that part of that unity involved him signing a new two-year contract only last year and there is no doubt he would have gone on doing that if allowed to do so. Politicians always demand unity - it most often means stop questioning my leadership, shut up and get in line.

I would be surprised if his anger isn't rather more at the board in the fullness of time. After all, he's made the previous lot and the current lot a boatload of cash, and the second the fans started not turning up, it was cheerio time. One gets the impression that he wasn't set any ultimatums or told he was underachieving. Not that for a second I think its the wrong thing that they've handed him the revolver...

Post #485707  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:07 pm 

Funny reading the headlines of the papers and the transcripts of Wenger's press conference....not much in common there...but of course what else were they going to run with? Him saying that he didn't want to talk about it all now doesn't make for good copy, neither does us beating WHU at home like every other year.

Post #485708  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:27 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Weirdest thing about that quote from 2009 is the mention of Gareth Barry. Xabi Alonso was world class and if there was a chance to sign him we should’ve jumped on it. But Song in his prime was twice the player Barry was. If his name was Gael rather than Gareth he wouldn’t have played more than three years in the premier league. Shockingly average player.

Also the Alonso quote was more about Wenger covering up that we'd been priced out of a comparatively modest 'big' signing when Liverpool upped the price. He'd have absolutely loved to have Alonso...I have some sympathy though - at that point it looked like Diaby would fully recover and become a really top player rather than be injured for most of the next decade, Denilson had just had his best season in an Arsenal shirt by a distance (sadly the best season of his career) at 21 and Alex song had just become a viable option. Plus we still had Fabregas & had just seen Ramsey break into the team. Of course Alonso, Fabregas and one other would have been a quality midfield as long as the third party had strength and mobility.

But in a way its microcosmic of the biggest disappointment of Wenger's time. After losing the engine room of the 07-08 season due to injuries and ice creams in Milan, Wenger had a crop of really promising kids alongside the still v young Cesc, and fairly young Adebayor, RVP etc. Bendtner, Djourou, Diaby, Song, Vela, Walcott, Denilson, Gibbs, Traore, Merida, Szczesny and a few others, plus the FA youth cup winning side of dominant kids at that level, had just made a Champions League semi-finals despite injuries galore, and would finish 3rd in 2010. Half of those kids were internationals, and established ones by the age of 21, and were thought to be one of the best crops in European football outside of Barca & Ajax & Bayern. So it was a very seductive situation for someone who has always been obsessed with building a young team.

Sadly Szczesny apart, not one of those kids even got close to fulfilling their potential. Diaby was a tragic case, Theo just lacked the technique and Gibbs was too nice and Denilson peaked at 20. Others wasted their talent by being massive bell-ends like Bendtner who was a better player at 19 than he's been since, as was Traore. Song turned into a massive wazzock too. Djourou's had a good career, but at a level below Arsenal.

Here's hoping the current lot, led by AMN, can do better.

Post #485709  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:32 pm 

Niall wrote:
Luton vs Arsenal 1988.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... on-arsenal

30 years tomorrow. That was gutting.

Indeed. My first introduction to real football heartbreak. Still, next year made up for it 100 times over.

Post #485710  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:41 pm 

Niall wrote:
Anybody know much about Luis Enrique?

Phillipe Auclair was on TalkSport last night and was adamant Enrique was not the best choice and sniffed a bit at his record.

Just had a look and a 9th placed finish with Celta Vigo in 13/14; 7th with Roma the year before that. Then he gets the Barcelona job and surprisingly wins a few titles with them.

Why was he removed from Barcelona?

Fell out with Messi over team selection and had one season of not being better than Real Madrid.

Won the treble in his first season (La Liga, Spanish Cup & Champions League). Domestic double in his second season. Third season came 2nd with 90 points, knocked out of Europe by Juve, won the Spanish Cup.

Obviously Barca have massive advantages, but that's not a bad 3 year resume!

Post #485711  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Not sure I believe that, but it would certainly make picking up Jonny Evans for £3m seem more attractive!

Post #485712  Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:55 pm 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ion-widget

Post #485713  Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:51 am 

kiwipete wrote:

You want his stature cast in bronze tomorrow ; fine ... but plenty aren't as rational , mild mannered whatever as you , Niall , Goonie and Hoy .

Some like Babu , Daz , Gaz , Harlow , Brom , Granty , Top Gun , Bored , Socrates , TomC , Ash , Decaf , G7 want to vent their spleen ..... where's the problem .

Er, excuse me. Don’t sully my well garnered decades old reputation, show some unity will you!

I haven’t been venting my spleen!

Until now...

:laughing7:

I’m probably somewhere in the middle, which probably means something like I want the intellectually questionable luxury of holding all the different opinions at once.

I don’t dislike the man, it seems to me he’s more intelligent than most other people involved in English football, but crucially not as much as he thinks, and you don’t need to be intelligent to win at football. Being a deep thinker doesn’t necessarily make you intelligent anyway. He’s so French.

A problem he seems to have is he likes the side quests. “Develop 5 youngsters into first teamers”, “revolutionise your training centre and overhaul club nutrition”, “turn an obscure turnip farmer with spades for feet into a marauding left back” and so forth. Winning was never enough for him. Or never the only thing.

The problem being that these things aren’t the same thing as “produce a team to win titles and trophies” which is really what he is paid to do first and foremost.

I’ll miss him, he’s clearly unique and all, but I’m glad he’s going and slightly worried, like someone else said, of the potential harm he could yet cause to the club before he goes.

Post #485714  Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:57 am 

If it's true the next manager has only 50m to spend, that should allow us to secure a couple of solid pros - similar to Wenger signing Arteta and Mertesacker. Both were very good signings for reasonable price and provided leadership for the team.

Post #485715  Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:34 am 

Niall wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

It would be very underwhelming to let Wenger go and then appoint Arteta or someone with so little experience.

Not that I don't agree with your opinion on Arsenal's deficiencies.

However, if there's only £50m available you've got to wonder if that's going to be an attractive proposition for an Allegri, Luis Enrique or any of the other big names we are being linked. Making Arteta more of a possibility.

Ahh yes but you've dropped back ten years in your thinking ; then following Wenger would have taken a collossus to fill his boots ...... today Tom Thumb could manage it .

Top of the list in my book is a guy who comes in with an open mind , a good game plan , ready to give advice AND MORE IMPORTANTLY TAKE ADVICE .

If Arsene had that last asset he'd still be in the job

....and I'm sure one fine sunny day in the not too distant future a really maxi intelligent guy like yourself will come to realise this .

Post #485716  Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:56 am 

Ash wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Ash , Decaf , G7 want to vent their spleen ..... where's the problem .

Er, excuse me. Don’t sully my well garnered decades old reputation, show some unity will you!

Until now...

I’ll miss him, he’s clearly unique and all, but I’m glad he’s going and slightly worried, like someone else said, of the potential harm he could yet cause to the club before he goes.

The trick is Ash ........ grab a couple of names who support your own opinion and pluck out a few others at random to add a bit of weight and hope the guy you're 'argueing ' with can't be arsed checking . You were one of the 'plucked '

I'm not a fan of people staying on either .

Any time I've ever had the "you can finish up next week " routine .

I've said ..... "No problem I'll go right now ' and been out the door , ten seconds after I'd collected my tools together .

Post #485717  Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:25 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Ash wrote:

Until now...

The trick is Ash ........ grab a couple of names who support your own opinion and pluck out a few others at random to add a bit of weight and hope the guy you're 'argueing ' with can't be arsed checking . You were one of the 'plucked '

I'm not a fan of people staying on either .

Any time I've ever had the "you can finish up next week " routine .

I've said ..... "No problem I'll go right now ' and been out the door , ten seconds after I'd collected my tools together .

Maybe it is a real Oz/NZ thing - march them out immediately. Indeed when I left a long term position I took leave until my resignation date (I had to give a certain amount of notice) and never got involved in the office at all. And I was going because I wanted to - I had run out of reinventing the wheel and the next real project would take at least three years and I didn't want to buy into it because I could not give 100%.

As an example I know of a capital city law firm who sacked 50 lawyers one Friday morning and not one of them was even allowed to return to their office/desk. There goods were gathered by security and they were marched with redundancy payments in their hand.

I have seen so many people snipe, even up scores, blatantly lie and destablise the office by seeing out a couple of weeks of notice.

Post #485718  Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:44 am 

Niall wrote:
Zed wrote:

So this book states the board told us the money was not available or was it simply I understand the money was not available. Or did the person who made all transfer decisions at the club say the money was not available. See three possibilites out of the simple words that you quote.

That same person has a long history of working out a value for a player and then not paying beyond that - you know like Suarez, Alonso. Perhaps he did not have an understanding of the true market and Dein was no longer there to convince him to pay the extra.

Still all those in the 'I am feeling guilty now' group are scrambling to blame everyone else. I simply don't know in this instance but you cannot exonerate Wenger. I do not know if it was Wenger, the board or a combination.

Post #485719  Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:48 am 

The next couple of years will not solve the fan divide. There will be the pro Wenger, the revisionist and the anti Wenger/pro new manager groups. Seeing signs of it on the forum already.

Post #485720  Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:39 am 

david.d wrote:
Hi Warrior
Thanks for your help!
It was on night mode.
Went through chrome which was fine then went back to internet explorer and clicked on the 3 dots which brought up turn off night mode.
Did that and gone back to normal.
Thank you so much.

Nice one ;-)

[ 571920 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12140, 12141, 12142, 12143, 12144, 12145, 12146 ... 14298  Next