Fixtures Thursday April 15th - Slavia Prague - Sinobo Stadium - Europa League - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:17 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 3 guests

 
Post #524201  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 am
Posts: 2353

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Twelve times apparently, winning three and losing seven. Barcelona nine times, losing six and winning once.

I remember us playing Barcelona in the quarter finals in 2010. After 20 minutes a wag behind me in the crowd shouted out “Can we have our ball back?”.

We had barely touched it and Barca seemed to create and miss chances at will. It was astounding that it was still 0-0, and more so that it stayed that way throughout the first half. It was like watching a masterclass. How we got out of that with a draw having subsequently gone 0-2 down remains a mystery.

That first 20 minutes was maybe the best I've ever seen a team play. Barca were absolutely mesmerising. I nearly just stood up and applauded (which would have been a bit embarrassing, given that it was 7am in Australia, and I was in my lounge-room in my pyjamas).

_________________
'It's the gaps what rocks' - Steve Marriott


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524202  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18196

Hazuki wrote:
We've faced Olympiakos ten times, with the teams winning five times each. They knocked us out last year obviously, but apart from that we had them in our Champions League group in 09/10, 11/12, 12/13 and 15/16. Must be one of the non-English teams we've played the most?

On paper our record isn't great with 5 wins for each but I think at least 2 of those defeats have been dead rubber games in Greece, when we played weakened teams at the end of group stages I think. It will be tough but our best performance is better than theirs I think.
Key will be making sure Leno, Gabriel, Tierney, Partey, Saka and Aubameyang are 100% fit to play both legs


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524203  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18196

Arsenal's most common European opponents
12 Bayern Munich
10 Olympiakos (soon to be 12)
9 Barcelona
8 Ajax
8 Dortmund
8 Milan
8 Panathinaikos


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524204  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 am
Posts: 2353

long time gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Yes - but played Bayern more often.

Been on the same pitch you mean. Played is overstating it on occasions. :sad4:

All we needed against Bayern was for matches to finish at half-time. The weird thing about the 10-2 defeat in 2017 was that in the first leg in Munich it was 1-1 at the break, and at the Emirates we were 1-0 up. Rather inconveniently, Bayern scored nine goals in the second half of the two matches.

_________________
'It's the gaps what rocks' - Steve Marriott


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524205  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18196

It is important to go far in the Europa League evn if we don't go on to win it because this all still effects UEFA co-efficient rankings. Despite 4 years in Europa we're still ranked 11th. There isn't many extra ranking points for being in Champions League rather than Europa. For example - wining Europa gets your 30 points and winning champions leagu gets you 36. Going out of Europa to Olympikos last year only got us 10 points but getting to the final vs Chelsea got us 26 points.
Basically a steady QF and better in Europa League still stands you in a good position to be one of the better seeded teams when you do make it back in to the Champions League.

What you can't afford is to miss out on Europe all together - zero points and plenty of teams will steam past you.
At the moment Arsenal in the champions league would be 2nd seeds - which is where we were seeded for maybe the last 8 or so years we were in the CL anyway.
https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations ... /#/yr/2021


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524206  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:52 pm
Posts: 13166

AmericanGooner wrote:
Derby vs Forest in a league match in the Championship. I have to assume a couple decades ago it would have been a 'must see' game. No?

Still is an interesting game for the neutral tbh. That the fixture has any resonance really is down to one man, by and large. The incredible Brian Clough.

_________________
There's a man who's been out sailing in a decade full of dreams


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524207  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13461

You can Analyse it but you would have taken that draw in a heartbeat

Must fancy our chances


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524208  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30518

Rich wrote:
Arsenal's most common European opponents
12 Bayern Munich
10 Olympiakos (soon to be 12)
9 Barcelona
8 Ajax
8 Dortmund
8 Milan
8 Panathinaikos


When I first started watching Arsenal we seemed to draw Valencia every season.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524209  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30518

Darren wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Derby vs Forest in a league match in the Championship. I have to assume a couple decades ago it would have been a 'must see' game. No?

Still is an interesting game for the neutral tbh. That the fixture has any resonance really is down to one man, by and large. The incredible Brian Clough.


Certainly. The pandemic has made me realized I've taken the possibility of live viewing for granted. One of my bucket list items is to take a month or so and see football all over the country, all divisions. Same for Europe. I'd love to take trip through various countries and catch local football.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524210  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 8973

TOP GUN wrote:
You can Analyse it but you would have taken that draw in a heartbeat

Must fancy our chances

I agree. We avoided Manchester United, Tottenham, Milan and Roma. Can’t ask for more than that.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524211  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14619
Location: Stockholm

https://streamable.com/c2h6di

Tierney doesn't seem too fond of players diving


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524212  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13751

Hazuki wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Yes - but played Bayern more often.

Twelve times apparently, winning three and losing seven. Barcelona nine times, losing six and winning once.

That the one victory was when Messi absolutely tore us to pieces in the opening 20 minutes but Barca somehow only scored one. Then we improbably turned it round. Then Van Persie was ridiculously sent off in the second leg. That still rankles.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524213  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13751

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
I think there is something to be said about not overplaying youngsters who burst onto the scene as such a young age. I think Fabregas's best years were before his 25th birthday, Michael Owen was another whose career was on a steep downward trajectory after his mid 20s.

Saka needs to be carefully managed but at the moment he's our get-out-of-jail player who can't be dropped.

Morning socrates. My guess is the days of top players staying at one club for the whole of their careers, like Adams at Arsenal or Terry at Chelsea, is pretty well over. The selfish way of looking at it is if we overplay Saka now, the chances are we’ll be compromising his injury record at another club, whoever it is he ends up going to.

Maybe I’m looking at it too much from a moral standpoint but I think that would be wrong. In my opinion Saka should be rested. Not in the Europa League which I see as Arsenal’s big priority this season now. But certainly in some Premier League games. Why can’t he rested (you call it dropped) for a league we’re not going to win or even get into the top four? Okay, we have a chance of getting a position for Europa League qualification but I would hope we could pick and choose the right Premier League games to rest him for to avoid severely compromising our chances of getting one of those places.

Kane may yet prove you wrong.

I completely agree regarding Saka. Apart from protecting Saka, we need players like Pépé and Willian to be getting decent minutes in that position in case Saka gets injured.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524214  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 8973

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Morning socrates. My guess is the days of top players staying at one club for the whole of their careers, like Adams at Arsenal or Terry at Chelsea, is pretty well over. The selfish way of looking at it is if we overplay Saka now, the chances are we’ll be compromising his injury record at another club, whoever it is he ends up going to.

Maybe I’m looking at it too much from a moral standpoint but I think that would be wrong. In my opinion Saka should be rested. Not in the Europa League which I see as Arsenal’s big priority this season now. But certainly in some Premier League games. Why can’t he rested (you call it dropped) for a league we’re not going to win or even get into the top four? Okay, we have a chance of getting a position for Europa League qualification but I would hope we could pick and choose the right Premier League games to rest him for to avoid severely compromising our chances of getting one of those places.

Kane may yet prove you wrong.

I completely agree regarding Saka. Apart from protecting Saka, we need players like Pépé and Willian to be getting decent minutes in that position in case Saka gets injured.

To be fair, that’s why I said “pretty well over” rather than completely finished. There can always be rare exceptions, be it Kane or someone else. Having said that, it wouldn’t shock me if Kane moves eventually even if it’s not anytime soon.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524215  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:57 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Posts: 5143
Location: ɹǝpu∩uʍop

Willian has revealed that he really wanted to stay at Chelsea

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/transfe ... li=AAgfLCP


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524216  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30518

...and as further proof, he's been playing as such.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524217  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18187

AmericanGooner wrote:
When I first started watching Arsenal we seemed to draw Valencia every season.
In my youth European football consisted of the annual match against Racing Club de Paris. Read all about it in this fine article.

https://blog.woolwicharsenal.co.uk/archives/7957

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524218  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 23318

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
When I first started watching Arsenal we seemed to draw Valencia every season.
In my youth European football consisted of the annual match against Racing Club de Paris. Read all about it in this fine article.

https://blog.woolwicharsenal.co.uk/archives/7957

What a brilliant read.

Amazing story and to think that they are now an amateur side.
For some reason it brought to mind great names (but faded glories) from my youth such as Ujpest Dozsa and Partizan Belgrade. Major forces in their time.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524219  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30518

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
When I first started watching Arsenal we seemed to draw Valencia every season.
In my youth European football consisted of the annual match against Racing Club de Paris. Read all about it in this fine article.

https://blog.woolwicharsenal.co.uk/archives/7957


Wonderful article omoh. Many thanks, enjoyed the read. It brings up a question. What is your (or others) guess of when Arsenal became the biggest club in London? In the 30s for sure. But approximately when did we become the biggest and who did we usurp from that perch?

It would be 'cool' to play them again.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524220  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30518

A preview of the 2024 Republican national convention....



Attachments:


_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)
 Profile  
 
 
Post #524221  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18187

AmericanGooner wrote:
...What is your (or others) guess of when Arsenal became the biggest club in London? In the 30s for sure. But approximately when did we become the biggest and who did we usurp from that perch?...
October 1886...or more seriously in 1893/4 when we became the first southern and London team to join the Football League. The next southern team to join was Luton in 1898/9; and then not until 1905/6 did London get members with Chelsea and Leyton Orient. In 1907/8 Fulham joined, and a year later Spurs. West Ham joined in 1919/20. In 1920/1 the League added a third division and that is when more London clubs joined - Palace, QPR, Millwall and Brentford. In 1921/2 the third division was divided into north and south, and Charlton joined.

In all the years since 1893/4 Arsenal have been London's biggest club - we never needed to usurp any other club. From time to time others have been more successful, and while Spurs may be our biggest rivals, they have won comparatively few trophies. Historiccally speaking Chelsea are getting closer to eclipsing us in that regard - possibly by the 2030s.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524222  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 23318

old man of hoy wrote:
In all the years since 1893/4 Arsenal have been London's biggest club - we never needed to usurp any other club.

Although we did fiddle our way into the top division at others expense. :12hello-bye:

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524223  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30518

19 years ago today. What a beauty.
https://www.facebook.com/Arsenal/videos/1301889716859253

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524224  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 8973

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...What is your (or others) guess of when Arsenal became the biggest club in London? In the 30s for sure. But approximately when did we become the biggest and who did we usurp from that perch?...
October 1886...or more seriously in 1893/4 when we became the first southern and London team to join the Football League. The next southern team to join was Luton in 1898/9; and then not until 1905/6 did London get members with Chelsea and Leyton Orient. In 1907/8 Fulham joined, and a year later Spurs. West Ham joined in 1919/20. In 1920/1 the League added a third division and that is when more London clubs joined - Palace, QPR, Millwall and Brentford. In 1921/2 the third division was divided into north and south, and Charlton joined.

In all the years since 1893/4 Arsenal have been London's biggest club - we never needed to usurp any other club. From time to time others have been more successful, and while Spurs may be our biggest rivals, they have won comparatively few trophies. Historiccally speaking Chelsea are getting closer to eclipsing us in that regard - possibly by the 2030s.

OMOH, I remember you saying around the time Ashley Cole left us for them that Chelsea had overtaken Arsenal as London’s biggest club. Me and EEG argued with you about it. But if you thought that back then, considering the trophy count of both clubs since, and their reported overtaking of us in fan base size, what has changed your mind?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524225  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30518

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...What is your (or others) guess of when Arsenal became the biggest club in London? In the 30s for sure. But approximately when did we become the biggest and who did we usurp from that perch?...
October 1886...or more seriously in 1893/4 when we became the first southern and London team to join the Football League. The next southern team to join was Luton in 1898/9; and then not until 1905/6 did London get members with Chelsea and Leyton Orient. In 1907/8 Fulham joined, and a year later Spurs. West Ham joined in 1919/20. In 1920/1 the League added a third division and that is when more London clubs joined - Palace, QPR, Millwall and Brentford. In 1921/2 the third division was divided into north and south, and Charlton joined.

In all the years since 1893/4 Arsenal have been London's biggest club - we never needed to usurp any other club. From time to time others have been more successful, and while Spurs may be our biggest rivals, they have won comparatively few trophies. Historiccally speaking Chelsea are getting closer to eclipsing us in that regard - possibly by the 2030s.


I think with those under 30 globally Chelsea is bigger. In London, I wonder? I don't live in London so will defer to this forum's Londoners for their opinion.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524226  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30518

long time gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
In all the years since 1893/4 Arsenal have been London's biggest club - we never needed to usurp any other club.

Although we did fiddle our way into the top division at others expense. :12hello-bye:


I choose to ignore that. We have never been relegated. That's the story I'm sticking with.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524227  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30518

City has moved up on the AG's most hated clubs list. Congrats to them on this achievement.

1. Man Utd / Tottenham
2. Any club fat ass Sam manages
3. City
4. Chelsea
5. Everton

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524228  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13461

Few questions for the forum for the sake of conversation to cure lockdown boredom ... (there’s no wrong answers btw)

1) do you believe Josh Kroenke has the necessary qualifications and experience to appoint a manager and technical director of a major European football club?

2) do you believe you will see Arsenal return to a position where we are competing for major trophies whilst Stanley Kroenke is owner ?

3) do you believe if Wenger was allowed to continue after 2018 we would have improved or got worse than our 6th place ?

4) considering your answers to points 1+2+3 do you believe the timing and content of Michael Artetas substitutions are having a major impact to our direction as a club?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524229  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 8973

Can someone he hasn’t blocked tell him, again, that Arsenal have been relegated? A long time ago, in 1913. But it did happen.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524230  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13461

Bernard wrote:
Can someone he hasn’t blocked tell him, again, that Arsenal have been relegated. A long time ago, in 1913. But it did happen.

:laughing7:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524231  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 8973

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Can someone he hasn’t blocked tell him, again, that Arsenal have been relegated. A long time ago, in 1913. But it did happen.

:laughing7:

You’ve been blocked though.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524232  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 8973

See Zech Medley scored Kilmarnock’s equaliser in their draw against Dundee United today.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524233  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 23318

AmericanGooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Although we did fiddle our way into the top division at others expense. :12hello-bye:


I choose to ignore that. We have never been relegated. That's the story I'm sticking with.

You stick to that story. Even if it is totally wrong.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524234  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2629

This for AG's benefit, as apparently he doesn't seem to research info entirely.

Arsenal was the first club from the South of England to join The Football League, in 1893, and they reached the First Division in 1904. Relegated only once, in 1913, they continue the longest streak in the top division, and have won the second-most top-flight matches in English football history.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524235  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18196

Lee Mason once again showing his utter incompetence as a referee. Watch the West Brom v Brighton game later if you haven’t seen what happened.
He disallows a goal, then gives it, then disallows it again.....and no one is still any the wiser why


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524236  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13461

Update

Tried to remake the beef stew I mentioned a few weeks back

Incorporated the strategy Bernard, granty, decaf suggested and the inclusions like worcs, flour, even chopped apple made it 100 percent better wow great effort lads.

Weird how a few ingredients here and there can make such a massive difference

Would show a picture but it didn’t last long with the kids about !


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524237  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7174

Rich wrote:
Lee Mason once again showing his utter incompetence as a referee. Watch the West Brom v Brighton game later if you haven’t seen what happened.
He disallows a goal, then gives it, then disallows it again.....and no one is still any the wiser why


If you want to see refereeing incompetence re-defined, watch a re-run of Wales v England this afternoon.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524238  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14619
Location: Stockholm

Rich wrote:
Lee Mason once again showing his utter incompetence as a referee. Watch the West Brom v Brighton game later if you haven’t seen what happened.
He disallows a goal, then gives it, then disallows it again.....and no one is still any the wiser why

Never thought I'd see a ref use several minutes of VAR checks to determine whether a free kick was taken before or after he blew the whistle. If that's what he was checking - it certainly wasn't clear what the reason was, and didn't seem clear to Mason either.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524239  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2629

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Lee Mason once again showing his utter incompetence as a referee. Watch the West Brom v Brighton game later if you haven’t seen what happened.
He disallows a goal, then gives it, then disallows it again.....and no one is still any the wiser why

Never thought I'd see a ref use several minutes of VAR checks to determine whether a free kick was taken before or after he blew the whistle. If that's what he was checking - it certainly wasn't clear what the reason was, and didn't seem clear to Mason either.

A farce made in heaven, by Mason. How he didn't see or aware that the WBA GK was still lining up his defense prior to the free kick is anyone's guess. The GK was reclining against the post, cool as you like, as though casually smoking a cig outside a bar. Whistle blown, kick taken, GK suddenly wakes up, leaps across goal, too late to stop ball. Mason decides to blow whistle a second time as ball crosses to the net. Absolute confusion follows.
Goal stands, doesn't stand. Obviously Mason wasn't aware that the GK wasn't ready before blowing whistle for the free kick. Realised it too late after the kick taken, blew whistle second time. Ball already was over the line before second whistle blown it looked like. Needed VAR to sort it. So no goal.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #524240  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18196

Zed wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Never thought I'd see a ref use several minutes of VAR checks to determine whether a free kick was taken before or after he blew the whistle. If that's what he was checking - it certainly wasn't clear what the reason was, and didn't seem clear to Mason either.

A farce made in heaven, by Mason. How he didn't see or aware that the WBA GK was still lining up his defense prior to the free kick is anyone's guess. The GK was reclining against the post, cool as you like, as though casually smoking a cig outside a bar. Whistle blown, kick taken, GK suddenly wakes up, leaps across goal, too late to stop ball. Mason decides to blow whistle a second time as ball crosses to the net. Absolute confusion follows.
Goal stands, doesn't stand. Obviously Mason wasn't aware that the GK wasn't ready before blowing whistle for the free kick. Realised it too late after the kick taken, blew whistle second time. Ball already was over the line before second whistle blown it looked like. Needed VAR to sort it. So no goal.

All Mason had to do is get both captains together and say ‘I thought everyone was set up so a blew to restart the game, then I realised the gk wasn’t set, that’s my mistake, I’m sorry lads but we’re going to have to take the free kick again’
I don’t know if there is anything actually in the rules saying the ref must allow the defence to set themselves up but surely once he’s said to both teams that no quick free kick will happen and they must play to his whistle he is obligated to make sure both teams are ready when he restarts the game


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 527238 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13103, 13104, 13105, 13106, 13107, 13108, 13109 ... 13181  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 3 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018